[Drama 2022] Alchemy Of Souls: Light and Shadow ✴ 반환

Maetawinz

1 hour ago, andy78 said:

Why do we see the young version of Buyeon when she is clearly an adult ?Should not be MD-face?Seems strange...

You want the honest answer or not?

1) The NOT honest answer:

Bu Yeon is being represented as the child who was kidnapped to the lake and disappeared, before she became Mu Deok. They want to show that she's only the pure Bu Yeon at this point in time, before she lived as Mu Deok. She's the priestess.

2) The honest answer:

They couldn't get Jung So Min to sign up for season 2 and she won't even be doing a cameo in the last episode. Hence, they show her as a child Bu Yeon. It would be too much of a headache for the Hong sisters to explain to us why Mu Deok suddenly looks like a new person by bringing in a third actress.

John Lewis Christmas GIF by John Lewis & Partners

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, andy78 said:

thanks for the complete answer...still strange but makes sense...

That's my theory at least. I could be wrong. I often am.

Seinfeld Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

But if it is revealed in the last 2 episodes that Naksu's body was not burned in season 1 and it is revived from whatever state it is in, I'm so gonna go:

annie GIF

to @Sleepy Owl and @LeftCoastOppa dongsaengs ! :naughty:

And then I'm gonna go PEACE OUT!

suga-micdrop.gif

Like Min Yoongi.

I have it all planned already. :cutekitty:

• LOL 5

11 hours ago, misspiggie said:

Note 2:  However powerful Naksu is, she is still a soul-shifter, susceptible to the “calling” of JM’s darn bells, resulting in loss of control and subsequent petrification

The bells purpose is to control the soul shifter that used the soul-shifting-glass-balls (i forgot what was it called) that's made by shaman choi & co, that's why naksu is still susceptible.

4 hours ago, partyon said:

1) The NOT honest answer:

Bu Yeon is being represented as the child who was kidnapped to the lake and disappeared, before she became Mu Deok. They want to show that she's only the pure Bu Yeon at this point in time, before she lived as Mu Deok. She's the priestess.

2) The honest answer:

They couldn't get Jung So Min to sign up for season 2 and she won't even be doing a cameo in the last episode. Hence, they show her as a child Bu Yeon. It would be too much of a headache for the Hong sisters to explain to us why Mu Deok suddenly looks like a new person by bringing in a third actress.

Mic drop!

Seriously though, this has been one of my grips since the last season. The inconsistencies in depicting jin bu yeon (and naksu!) personas has only further contributes to the confusion. The scene during janguk's forced soul shifting, the scene inside the ice stone barrier, and now the scene when naksu gained he memories in front of the tree; all very inconsistent in making clear distinction between mudeok, jin bu yeon, and naksu.

That's why i avoided looking too deep into the symbolism cause, ya know, forr all we know it coul be just budgeting or casting issues :idk:

• LOL 5

15 minutes ago, SleepyKitty said:

That's why i avoided looking too deep into the symbolism cause

My last remaining brain cell still in use while watching this drama:

spacer.png

Can’t analyze or make sense of the drama with that. Problem solved

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

6 hours ago, partyon said:

Last time this happened was when Mouse aired and suddenly Soompi chingus' ideas started coming to life in the drama. Most of them were far-reached and whimsical. :flushed:

Oh boy, chingu we do not talk about this. Some people say "Mouse is such a masterpiece", "It's sooo good", "Watch it!!" Meanwhile there's me that's like....

Lilly Singh No GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

Now talking about Alchemy of Souls Part 2.. I've seen some crazy theories about this show and I'm just questioning these people and being like, "Are we watching the same drama?" or saying, "Ummm that sounds absurd" :emmm: (It's no one on this forum)

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Lee Jae Wook And Go Yoon Jung Are Inseparable Even Behind The Scenes Of “Alchemy Of Souls Part 2”

Lee Jae Wook And Go Yoon Jung Are Inseparable Even Behind The Scenes Of “Alchemy Of Souls Part 2”

Just before the drama’s final two episodes, “Alchemy of Souls Part 2” has teased viewers with behind-the-scenes photos of Lee Jae Wook and Go Yoon Jung!

Set in the fictional nation of Daeho, “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama about people whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls. After Part 1 of the drama stole viewers’ hearts this past summer, “Alchemy of Souls” returned last month with Part 2, which is set three years after the end of Part 1.

Each episode of “Alchemy of Souls Part 2” has continuously soared to new heights, with its latest episode managing to achieve its highest viewership ratings yet at 8.6 percent. As if to further prove the drama’s popularity, the Response Analysis on Content of the Internet (RACOI) revealed that Go Yoon Jung and Lee Jae Wook ranked first and second respectively on the list of most buzzworthy drama cast members in the 5th week of December.

With only two episodes left in the drama, “Alchemy of Souls Part 2” has shared a glimpse of Lee Jae Wook and Go Yoon Jung’s chemistry behind the scenes!

Spoilers

In the last episode, viewers went wild when Jin Bu Yeon (Go Yoon Jung) remarked, “I was the owner of the blue jade, I was his teacher. I am Naksu,” and signaled that she finally regained her lost memories. The episode ended on a cliffhanger with Jang Wook (Lee Jae Wook) utterly stunned when he saw blue marks, which hint that she’s a switched soul, blooming in Jin Bu Yeon’s eyes.

In the new behind-the-scenes photos, viewers can hardly find one without the other as Lee Jae Wook and Go Yoon Jung are seen boasting their perfect chemistry even during rehearsals. When the camera starts rolling again, the two effortlessly jump back into character, making everyone hold their breath as they watch the pair’s flawless performance.

Check out the photos of Lee Jae Wook and Go Yoon Jung below!

Lee-Jae-Wook5.jpegGo-Yoon-Jung3.jpeg

Spoiler

Lee-Jae-Wook-Go-Yoon-Jung.jpegGo-Yoon-Jung-Lee-Jae-Wook.jpegLee-Jae-Wook-Go-Yoon-Jung4.jpegLee-Jae-Wook-Go-Yoon-Jung-.jpeg

Catch the next episodes of “Alchemy of Souls Part 2” on January 7 and 8 at 9:10 p.m. KST to find out how Jang Wook and Jin Bu Yeon’s love story will end!

Lee Jae Wook And Go Yoon Jung Are Inseparable Even Behind The Scenes Of “Alchemy Of Souls Part 2” | Soompi

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

4e5994232662c8506af313f1f3e48924e57c9dee.gifv

literally me to hong sisters if they do not give ukyeong the happiness they deserve#alchemy of souls from en algún lugar

Spoiler

Brings Jin Mu to them.

This is so adorable:wub:

Go-Yoon-Jung-Lee-Jae-Wook.jpeg

Just before the drama’s final two episodes, “Alchemy of Souls Part 2” has teased viewers with behind-the-scenes photos of Lee Jae Wook and Go Yoon Jung!

Set in the fictional nation of Daeho, “Alchemy of Souls” is a fantasy romance drama about people whose fates become twisted due to magic that swaps people’s souls. After Part 1 of the drama stole viewers’ hearts this past summer, “Alchemy of Souls” returned last month with Part 2, which is set three years after the end of Part 1.

Each episode of “Alchemy of Souls Part 2” has continuously soared to new heights, with its latest episode managing to achieve its highest viewership ratings yet at 8.6 percent.

As if to further prove the drama’s popularity, the Response Analysis on Content of the Internet (RACOI) revealed that Go Yoon Jung and Lee Jae Wook ranked first and second respectively on the list of most buzzworthy drama cast members in the 5th week of December.

With only two episodes left in the drama, “Alchemy of Souls Part 2” has shared a glimpse of Lee Jae Wook and Go Yoon Jung’s chemistry behind the scenes!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1561572wpp/lee-jae-wook-and-go-yoon-jung-are-inseparable-even-behind-the-scenes-of-alchemy-of-souls-part-2

Spoiler

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

I think an additional reason for showing young Buyeon is to avoid any confusion (emotional confusion, I mean) on the part of viewers. There was already SUCH an uproar over the actress change that I suspect they want to keep JSM completely out of it except for flashbacks. 

Of course it is also true that she only signed on for season 1. 

And yes, there are some very detailed plotlines out there that people have written in their heads for finishing this off. Meanwhile I suspect it will be different from however most people are predicting... (How, I have no idea. Just that every time I think, this would be logical...that is not what happens. And I work in the field of editing, so I do know a fair bit about story structure...)

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

When I started watching this drama, I thought what an epic love story but my main reason was to see Nasku get to a point where she can get her answers W/ her dad and wanting her revenge against JM. However, I was disappointed that Naksu, upon knowing that her dad was a soul shifter, she accepted that her dad was wrong and never again question the real reason why or want further revenge. Even until the latest ep8(pt2), she doesn’t seems to want revenge but simply stated only that she’ll 

be facing him again for the first time(despite having her memories back and also images of  him ringing the bells effecting her). So, if Naksu is content w/ where she is & seems to accept that she will vanish soon, then there no reason for me to keep hoping I will be seeing these retribution happening for her. I’ll gladly accept her leaving this world at the end. 

However, pt2 is very clear on its main purpose of focus which is the epic love between our leads as nothing else was the main focus (fighting, CGI, no other main purpose, nothing on The real JBY, .. I can go on…). Which leads me to believe… this season is more of giving JangUK & Naksu a second chance at love & to protect what he failed to do from pt1 that still hunts him. So JangUK what are you gonna do now? Can you protect your wife?

• Like 8
  • Blob 1

On 1/5/2023 at 9:46 AM, misspiggie said:

Oops, I seem to have spooked you unintentionally. Glad to see you enjoying the show and back here. 

Don't hesitate with more questions or share your ideas -- it's all part of the fun!

I was amused not spooked that you quoted sci fi glossaries instead of fantasy to make a point. So my remark that I get where you are coming from.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:49 AM, partyon said:

Well, this article by Ms Koala said the same thing :D

Audience Divided with Alchemy of Souls Season 2 as it Heads to Final Weekend Still Unable to Answer Basic World Building Questions

article:

https://koalasplayground.com/2023/01/02/audience-divided-with-alchemy-of-souls-season-2-as-it-heads-to-final-weekend-still-unable-to-answer-basic-world-building-questions/

I read this article, and I wholeheartedly agree with the first comment made by Anne.

Anne, if you're reading this, I agree with you!

I read this article, and I wholeheartedly agree with the first comment made by Anne.

Seriously?  I differ as she stated there was no humor, no fight scenes in her first comment.  She did however made some good points in comparing Seasons 1 and 2. 

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote gifs. Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Blob 1

Finally watched episode 8 of Season 2 and the turtle scenes were the best part.  The sideways look that Naksu gave to CP was similar to JSM in Season 1.  CP is definitely conspiring with Jang Wook to bring JM and his minions down.  No one messes with his turtle and gets away with it LMAO.:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, partyon said:

But if it is revealed in the last 2 episodes that Naksu's body was not burned in season 1 and it is revived from whatever state it is in, I'm so gonna go:

Dead Body? 3+ years on Ice? :blink:   I'm rather torn on this ...

( between an inappropriate "EWWW" joke, or an  inappropriate "frigid" joke ) :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, frozentundra said:

How, I have no idea. Just that every time I think, this would be logical...that is not what happens.

76irom.jpg

1 hour ago, Nomorelisa said:

Seriously?  I differ as she stated there was no humor, no fight scenes in her first comment.  She did however made some good points in comparing Seasons 1 and 2. 

I'm right there with you @Nomorelisa - there was another comment closer to the bottom that dismantled several of initial commenters critiques.  I'm not saying the drama is anywhere near perfect, but its nowhere near as bad as the initial commenter makes out - JMHO of course.

For myself, I was rather vocal on this thread at the end of Part 1, that I couldn't see them doing justice to Jang Uk's & Naksu's relationship with the "new face" storyline, nevermind amnesia.  On that account, I have been pleasantly surprised, as they(Hong Sisters) managed to make the reverse parallels story arc work, and I think well enough.  

My critiques would center around, Jin Mu being unaffected by the events in Part 1, The Crown Prince drifting bad before only now it seems working with Jang Uk, Lady Heo going bad ( a real waste of a character ), Park Jin going chef in "retirement" only to pop up occasionally, and Master Lee once again playing hide-n-seek throughout Part 2.

I have pending critiques on Bu Yeon, but I'll save those for now, as these may be addressed via explanation in the last 2 episodes.

Still holding out for a Happy Ending ... the leads can't die twice ... I hope :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, SleepyKitty said:

edited because i feel it's of topic, sorry mods, i can not delete this post so i don't know what to do :sweatingbullets:)

I am curious now. What was your rant about? 

Tell Oh My GIF by Robert E Blackmon

But in all seriousness, if you want a post deleted in the future you can tag one or two of the mods in it and ask for them to delete it. 
Or then just do as a lot of us do, keep the off-topic stuff in the post and and add a couple of lines of in-topic stuff at the end. :D 

1 hour ago, Nomorelisa said:

Yes, I actually do agree with her. I know I am in the minority or even alone with my opinion on this thread, but I think season 2 is lacking in every single way. 

Especially during the last episodes I keep rolling my eyes during some scenes because they are so cringe. And no, I am not even finding the humor funny anymore. 

I see as little chemistry between the leads now as I did in the first season, and that honestly baffles me. Lee Jae Wook has normally had great chemistry with his co-stars (as has Jung So Min btw), but now he’s been stiff as heck with both co-stars. Don’t know if he’s in a RL relationship and is holding back in his acting because of that or if he just doesn’t have chemistry with his co-stars.

The so called “hot” kiss scene in S2 felt like a technical performance - I saw and felt no passion. 

The writers have been underutilizing the supporting characters in the plot, and I feel like they are just there for show when the drama is suddenly all about the romance.

And don’t get me started on how lazy the writing is. By now it’s so obvious that the writers have painted themselves into a corner when it comes to all the fantasy elements in this drama. They keep changing the rules as we go along because they can’t explain themselves or justify whatever they want to happen next. If you want to write a wuxia drama, at least stick to the basic rules about the world you have built.

As for the amnesia, how stupid is it that it has been dragged out to ep 8? Then they even throw in NOBLE IDIOCY on top of it - the most stupid trope of them all! :rage:

Then they are trying to once again solve everything in the last 20 minutes of this drama which will result in the whole ending spiraling into pure chaos with fans being in shock saying “WTF did I just watch?” 

Then they’re angry and sad that they wasted not just 30 hours of their life on it - but 40 hours because the episodes were 1h 20min. 

I could go on…

Why am I still watching it? I wanted to honor my promise to @LeftCoastOppa and this being the most popular show on this forum requires one Event Organizer to put up polls. 
I am so glad that this drama is ending this weekend though. 

@SleepyKitty that was the end of my rant. ;) 

• LOL 6

41 minutes ago, partyon said:

Yes, I actually do agree with her. I know I am in the minority or even alone with my opinion on this thread, but I think season 2 is lacking in every single way. 

Especially during the last episodes I keep rolling my eyes during some scenes because they are so cringe. And no, I am not even finding the humor funny anymore. 

I see as little chemistry between the leads now as I did in the first season, and that honestly baffles me. Lee Jae Wook has normally had great chemistry with his co-stars (as has Jung So Min btw), but now he’s been stiff as heck with both co-stars. Don’t know if he’s in a RL relationship and is holding back in his acting because of that or if he just doesn’t have chemistry with his co-stars.

The so called “hot” kiss scene in S2 felt like a technical performance - I saw and felt no passion. 

From your reply, I get the impression we both are watching different dramas.  As for hot and passionate kissing in S2, I have seen worse, much much worse both the chemistry and kisses between the leads.  I have watch a lot of dramas with such scenes with the FL's hands limp at her sides while kissing, and some dramas with the leads sharing one such kiss only throughout the entire series.  As a TV series watched by millions of viewers of varied ages, one cannot expect much as boundaries are set.

I know of no other dramas in 2022 with a scene like this other than A Business Proposal.  Despite what you said, I see great chemistry between the leads, in both seasons and for season 2, it is a treat to watch young and fairly new actors giving their all with their fine acting skills.  I will not be surprise should they be given awards for their performances.  As for JSM, as always she did well, and I would not expect less than that from an actor with more than 12 years experience and an awardee.

49 minutes ago, partyon said:

The writers have been underutilizing the supporting characters in the plot, and I feel like they are just there for show when the drama is suddenly all about the romance.

The synopsis says it is a fantasy romance drama.  It is not "suddenly all about romance" as you state.

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

My critiques would center around, Jin Mu being unaffected by the events in Part 1, The Crown Prince drifting bad before only now it seems working with Jang Uk, Lady Heo going bad ( a real waste of a character ), Park Jin going chef in "retirement" only to pop up occasionally, and Master Lee once again playing hide-n-seek throughout Part 2.

Yes, they should have killed off Jin Mu in Season 1 and bring on another more evil and stronger villain.  As in animes, computer RPGs and novels, killing the big boss is the final act.  Jin Mu is just a slimy snake who survived S1 and is still there despite most of the good guys knowing he is the source of all the evil that is happening.  After watching up to episode 8 of S2, I am sick and tired of seeing his smirks and listening to his raspy voice.:angry:

Lady Heo is necessary to get the plot moving otherwise the drama will plod along like the turtle.:omg:

• Like 3
  • Blob 2