[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, galea said:

Oh goodness, I see... Thank you for explaining. If the character was in her 20s, I can kind of trick my mind into believing that... but 15 is just pushing it. Ah, I feel conflicted now >.<...  

Huh, that's weird, and slightly sad that the audience's impression of one of his roles just stuck with him lol. He's clearly a decent actor, so it's a bit of a shame. Thank you again for explaining all that <3 

15 is the age they have the coming of age ceremony back then, and also the age girls marry, so that's basically why. She's bit naive and innocent at the beginning due to being adored by literally everyone around her, but she does become fairly mature pretty quickly and goes through lot of character development as it goes. I just mentally +10 to everyone in the drama (if anything, it was her brother that pulled me out of the drama....), as long as they don't keep mentioning her age, it's alright? As long as ZYW keeps doing decent dramas, he'll gain new fans, so don't worry about it.

You could always sit on it a little, even with the vvip system, the whole drama will finish at the end of Feburary, while vip finish in March, I assume subs will take till at least early March, if not later.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hush puppy said:

@Auniyshi S  Same here.  I last watch "Go Ahead".  It was so good.  After that, I cannot find anything close to it.  I believe this drama should be interesting from now on.  As our Power Couple fought back. Keep me posted if you find any good dramas in future.:wub:

I do believe too

Btw have you watched Secret of The Three Kingdom?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, galea said:

Bloody hell how did you figure that out so quickly?! Hahahahah, and from my description of her as well, that's hilarious. Yeah! It's her, I'm really enjoying her posts about this drama, it's how I found out about ZYW being part of the cast actually. I knew Zhang Ziyi was in it but I didn't know he was a main lead too. 

And I agree, sometimes I feel conflicted when trying to decide whether or not I should look at the ratings on douban. They can be either very useful or just downright baffling at times. I mean, the type of drama matters as well as to how trustworthy the audience's feedback is, but I couldn't really figure out what the problem was using Google translate for the douban reviews for this drama.

Well I follow her for the thirst posts (+ commentary) and considered there’s no other person like her I’ve come across, so you must be talking about her :P

I don’t get the oily complaint for ZYW, I’m literally dying of thirst each time he’s on but then again the only role I’ve seen him in was Longest Day and he was hot/mysterious and well groomed -_-

Imo child actors are a hit or miss depending so I don’t blame productions entirely for not hiring younger dupes for the main actors.  Also if the story largely remains within a few years rather than time skip in decades, I don’t want to see some mediocre younger actor struggling through an expensive show like this...

Though Qin Dynasty is most egregious, I think for the most part young teens back then looked like adults, so it doesn’t take much for suspend disbelief that ZZY is 15-16, her acting is that good for me. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Hi  @celebrianna 

1) I don't know the ML before this drama.  But I know him now - Zhou Yi Wei.  I'm a Fan now.

I love ep 12. The moment the Princess was kidnapped, I knew the "Rescue" by his "Shining Knight In Armour" will be the Highlight to look forward to.  And I'm not disappointed.  

The Princess's father - the PM is very Ambitious.  He married her daughter off to the General for Political Reasons.  This Story is about Power Struggles.  According to the PM, there are 2 ways to win the struggle:

-  Control of Supplies (Grains,  etc). The Xie Family has this

-  The PM (Wang Family) has the Army.  They also has the monopoly of Empress position.  The current Empress is already the 12th Empress from the Wang Clan.

So, since the PM has "incapacitate" (so he thought) the Emperor, he wants to further  his Control over the Army.  He has secretly met-up with the General three times  - seeking his alliance.

Remember the Wedding Night, when the General rode away without informing his New Bride?  It was to prevent the PM from using his Army to execute an All Out Coup.

This General is a very Smart Person.  He can strategise not just in Warfare, but also in Palace Intrigues.  He can "read" the situation well.  Plus he is a Gentleman, a Principled person and a good Husband.  I must say... at this stage, he is the Character-Role I'm focussing on.

In ep 12, the General managed to answer all of the Princess's questions (doubts) and gain her trust...  and love definitely.  She realised now that she has all along been treated as "Pawn" by both the Queen and her Father.

This Pair is on their way to be The Power Couple.  I couldn't wait for ep 13 and......

Thank you for this. I love your explanation. It makes sense from what I can gather from watching the raw episodes. I didn’t want to think that the Father was after power and tried to do away with the king but your explanation confirmed it. I wasn’t sure though if Xiao Qi was going along with his plan or not. I’m very glad to hear that he didn’t allow the father to use him in an attempted coup. It shows he has a mind of his own. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 1/12/2021 at 11:03 PM, Auniyshi S said:

I do believe too

Btw have you watched Secret of The Three Kingdom?

@Auniyshi S  I have not watched "Secret Of The Kingdoms".  Was it good?  Actually I did Not watch as many dramas as you all.  Because I'm "choosy".  Sometimes, I tried for a few minute or eps and then gave up.  Everybody complimented "The Story Of Rose & Tiger". I tried 6x.  Cannot catch on. I find it too flimsy - no solid story. Don't like the actress either.

I also gave up "Under The Power". Also tried many times because of the praises.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:53 AM, celebrianna said:

Thank you for this. I love your explanation. It makes sense from what I can gather from watching the raw episodes. I didn’t want to think that the Father was after power and tried to do away with the king but your explanation confirmed it. I wasn’t sure though if Xiao Qi was going along with his plan or not. I’m very glad to hear that he didn’t allow the father to use him in an attempted coup. It shows he has a mind of his own. 

@celebrianna  Answering your question individually like this does not really throw light to the whole plot, which is more twisted, complicated.

1) 2nd Prince:  He is the man who is controlling everybody, leading them on a wild goose's chase - the Puppet Master.  He is not favoured by the Emperor because his mother is from a lower class.  So he is being resentful of his father and everyone.    He wanted revenge; he wanted the Throne.  So he sabotage everybody:

- he was the one who engineered the assasination attempt on the 3rd Prince Zidan. Thus sowing the seeds of distrust between the Emperor and the Empress.  Both the Emperor and the Imperial Consort (Zidan's mother) thought the Empress planned the assasination to prevent Zidan from challenging the throne.

- in this Story, it is a common notion among everyone that, the Ladies from the Wang Clan are the Emperor-Maker:  "Get Her And You Get The Entire Universe".  Because there are already 12 Empresses from that clan. 

- that is why the Empress planned for the Crown-Prince to rape Princess Wang Xuan. Wang Xuan's father didn't know of course. Both the PM and his sister the Empress wants Princess Wang Xuan to marry the Crown Prince - continues the tradition of being Empress.  So that the Wang Clan stays influential.

But again was thwarted by the 2nd Prince.  He have the Switch made.  So the Crown Prince raped the Imperial Consort's niece, Zidan's (3rd Prince) cousin sister - Xie Wan Ru instead. 

Aim:  So that both the Wang and Xie Clan does not get what they want, the Throne, the Power. The Wang Family does not make another Empress.  The Xie Family does not get General Xiao Qi as their son-in-law. And start to plot against each other.  Intensifying the Enmity among the Emperor, Empress and the PM. Leaving the coast clear for himself (the 2nd Prince) to ascend the throne.

So the Power Struggle begins......

2) The Deaf & Mute Taoist Priest who is the Confidante of the Emperor is Neither deaf nor mute. He is the PM's man.  Planted there to learn of the Emperor's every thought and move. Brilliant isn't it?

3) The PM: Since he couldn't get his daughter to become Empress, he went for the Next Best Choice.  Which is General Xiaeo Qi. He wanted to retrieve the "Imperial Tiger's Seal" which is the Military Seal.  Whoever possesses it has Absolute Power over the Entire Military Force.  And this Seal is with the Emperor.  Interesting, isn't it?

4) Princess Wang Xuan:  Another reason why she married the General - is to save Zidan's life. The Empress promised not to take his life if she marries General Xiao Qi. Another excuse concorted by the Empress.  In other words the Empress is helping her brother. (Which is why General Xiao Qi told the Princess, she is a Pawn of both the Empress and the PM)

5) 3rd Prince Zidan: He chose Revenge over Love. That is why he didn't turn up to elope with Princess Wang Xuan.  He later changed his mind. But too late. It showed that he is quite a soft person.  Not that wise and decisive as the General.  So I'm glad the Princess (as I would for any lady) got the General instead.

6) Xie Wan Ru (Zidan's cousin sister the one who married the Crown Prince): She thought Princess Wang Xuan has betrayed her brother.  So she turned Spiteful.  I don't like the Princess's maid who easily went for Zidan.  I don't like this kind of plot. So these 2 ladies will become Princess Wang Xuan's arch enemies 

I also don't like plots where Men binged-drink when they are upset and then made love to the wrong ladies.  It happened here with Zidan.  So I don't sympathise with him anymore.

7) The Emperor:  He was the one who planned the Kidnapping of Princess Wang Xuan. To thwart the PM's plan. He wanted to have General Xiao Qi killed as well. Frightening isn't it?  The emperor loves the Princess so much.  But will not hesitate to hurt/sacrifice her when needs arise.  His Hatred for the PM outstriped his Love for Princess Wang Xuan.  Again, the Princess became someone's else Pawn

So the only People Worth Admiring In The End Are:  Princess Wang Xuan and General Xiao Qi. Couldn't wait for the ensuing developments.....

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

I think with all the inter-marriage within a few noble clans, it is time to start a fresh dynasty. I like the vow Xiao Qi made to Wang Xuan that she will be the woman by his side and the only woman who will bear his children

@jacquelinetan One more thing I like about General Xiao Qi  - He is a Teetotaller.  He is the first man in a Drama, who does not drink Alcohol.  He is such a Loyal Spouse.  Does not take a second look at any other lady.  Only for the one he loves.  Difficult to find during those eras .... and even now in this 21st Century.  He is such a Gem of a Man.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 2

2 hours ago, hush puppy said:

@Auniyshi S  I have not watched "Secret Of The Kingdoms".  Was it good?  Actually I did Not watch as many dramas as you all.  Because I'm "choosy".  Sometimes, I tried for a few minute or eps and then gave up.  Everybody complimented "The Story Of Rose & Tiger". I tried 6x.  Cannot catch on. I find it too flimsy - no solid story. Don't like the actress either.

@celebrianna  Answering your question individually like this does not really throw light to the whole plot, which is more twisted, complicated.

1) 2nd Prince:  He is the man who is controlling everybody, leading them on a wild goose's chase - the Puppet Puller.  He is not favoured by the Emperor because his mother is from a lower class.  So he is being resentful of his father and everyone.    He wanted revenge; he wanted the Throne.  So he sabotage everybody:

- he was the one who engineered the assasination attempt on the 3rd Prince Zidan. Thus sowing the seeds of distrust between the Emperor and the Queen.  Both the Emperor and the Imperial Consort (Zidan's mother) thought the Queen planned the assasination to prevent Zidan from challenging the throne.

- in this Story, it is a common notion among everyone is that, the Ladies from the Wang Clan are the Emperor-Maker:  "Get Her And You Get The Whole World".  Because there are already 12 Queens from that clan. 

- that is why the Queen planned for the Crown-Prince to rape Princess Wang Xuan. Both the PM and his sister the Queen wants Princess Wang Xuan to marry the Crown Prince - continues the tradition of being Queen.  So that the Wang Clan stays influential.

But again was thwarted by the 2nd Prince.  He have the Switch made.  So the Crown Prince raped the Imperial Consort's niece, Zidan's (3rd Prince) sister - Xie Wan Ru instead. 

Aim:  So that both the Wang and Xie Clan does not get the Crown Prince, the Throne, the Power. And start to plot against each other.  Intensifying the Enmity among the Emperor, Queen and the PM 

2) The Deaf & Mute Taoist Priest who is the Confidante of the Emperor is Neither deaf nor mute. He is the PM's man.  Planted there to learn of the Emperor's every thought and move. Brilliant isn't it?

3) The PM: Since he couldn't get his daughter to become Queen, he went for the Next Best Choice.  Which is General Xiao Qi. He wanted to retrieve the "Imperial Tiger's Seal" which is the Military Seal.  Whoever possesses it has Absolute Power over the Entire Military Force.  And this Seal is with General Xiao Qi.   Interesting, isn't it?

4) Princess Wang Xuan:  Another reason why she married the General - is to save Zidan's life.  But also another excuse concorted by the Queen to get her marry the General.  In other words the Queen is helping her brother. (Which is why General Xiao Qi told Princess, she is a Pawn of both the Queen and the PM)

5) 3rd Prince Zidan: He chose Revenge over Love. That is why he didn't turn up to elope with Princess Wang Xuan.  He later changed his mind. But too late. It showed that he is quite a soft person.  Not that wise and decisive as the General.  So I'm glad the Princess (as I would for any lady) got the General instead.

6) Xie Wan Ru (Zidan's sister the one who married the Crown Prince): She thought Princess Wang Xuan has betrayed her brother.  So she turned Spiteful.  I also don't like the Princess's maid who easily went for Zidan.  I don't like this kind of plot. So these 2 ladies will become Princess Wang Xuan's arch enemies 

I also don't like plots where Men binged-drink when they are upset and then made love to the wrong ladies.  It happened here with Zidan.  So I don't sympathise with him anymore.

7) The Emperor:  He was the one who planned the Kidnapping of Princess Wang Xuan. To thwart the PM's plan.  Frightening isn't it?  The emperor loves the Princess so much.  But will not hesitate to hurt/sacrifice her when needs arise.  His Hatred for the PM outstriped his Love for Princess Wang Xuan.  Again, the Princess became someone's else Pawn

So the only People Worth Admiring In The End Are:  Princess Wang Xuan and General Xiao Qi. Couldn't wait for the ensuing developments.....

Wooow awesome!

Thank u for sharing ur impression

We r waiting for our couple movement now! 

Cant waiiiit

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hush puppy said:

@jacquelinetan One more thing I like about General Xiao Qi  - He is a Teetotaller.  He is the first man in a Drama, who does not drink.  He is such a Loyal Spouse.  Does not take a second look at any other lady.  Only for the one he loves.  Difficult to find during those eras .... and even now in this 21st Century.  He is such a Gem of a Man.

Aaaa cudnt agree more

He loves her at first sight tho!

3 hours ago, hush puppy said:

1) 2nd Prince:  He is the man who is controlling everybody, leading them on a wild goose's chase - the Puppet Puller.  He is not favoured by the Emperor because his mother is from a lower class.  So he is being resentful of his father and everyone.    He wanted revenge; he wanted the Throne.  So he sabotage everybody:

- he was the one who engineered the assasination attempt on the 3rd Prince Zidan. Thus sowing the seeds of distrust between the Emperor and the Queen.  Both the Emperor and the Imperial Consort (Zidan's mother) thought the Queen planned the assasination to prevent Zidan from challenging the throne.

- in this Story, it is a common notion among everyone that, the Ladies from the Wang Clan are the Emperor-Maker:  "Get Her And You Get The Entire Universe".  Because there are already 12 Queens from that clan. 

- that is why the Queen planned for the Crown-Prince to rape Princess Wang Xuan. Both the PM and his sister the Queen wants Princess Wang Xuan to marry the Crown Prince - continues the tradition of being Queen.  So that the Wang Clan stays influential.

But again was thwarted by the 2nd Prince.  He have the Switch made.  So the Crown Prince raped the Imperial Consort's niece, Zidan's (3rd Prince) sister - Xie Wan Ru instead. 

Aim:  So that both the Wang and Xie Clan does not get the Crown Prince, the Throne, the Power. And start to plot against each other.  Intensifying the Enmity among the Emperor, Queen and the PM. Leaving the coast clear for himself (the 2nd Prince) to ascend the throne.

3) The PM: Since he couldn't get his daughter to become Queen, he went for the Next Best Choice.  Which is General Xiao Qi. He wanted to retrieve the "Imperial Tiger's Seal" which is the Military Seal.  Whoever possesses it has Absolute Power over the Entire Military Force.  And this Seal is with General Xiao Qi.   Interesting, isn't it?

4) Princess Wang Xuan:  Another reason why she married the General - is to save Zidan's life.  But also another excuse concorted by the Queen to get her marry the General.  In other words the Queen is helping her brother. (Which is why General Xiao Qi told Princess, she is a Pawn of both the Queen and the PM)

6) Xie Wan Ru (Zidan's sister the one who married the Crown Prince): She thought Princess Wang Xuan has betrayed her brother.  So she turned Spiteful.  I also don't like the Princess's maid who easily went for Zidan.  I don't like this kind of plot. So these 2 ladies will become Princess Wang Xuan's arch enemies 

7) The Emperor:  He was the one who planned the Kidnapping of Princess Wang Xuan. To thwart the PM's plan.  Frightening isn't it?  The emperor loves the Princess so much.  But will not hesitate to hurt/sacrifice her when needs arise.  His Hatred for the PM outstriped his Love for Princess Wang Xuan.  Again, the Princess became someone's else Pawn

Oowh about Secret of The Three Kingdom

If you like The Rebel Princess, i think you wud like SoTTK too

Please try it;)

Hahaha! I totally get why some people are "amazed" at ZZY doing this role. She is 41 this year, after all. I read that she's one of the investors for this show so she totally picked this for herself. Aside from this, the story is several episodes long so maybe they considered the ending, she should be around this age when this ends. 

She's a great actress so maybe they wanted to focus on the character's time when she's mature. I've known her for a long time and I really like  her. 

• Like 4

@hush puppy I think you’d like Secret of Three Kingdom, you really root for the main character and couple imo plus it has probably the most sauciest scene in recent drama history, none of the awkwardly chaste make-out scenes, like actual passion:criesariver:  (the main couple have such chemistry haha).

I liked the Story of Rose and Tiger and Under the Power enough but ultimately dropped them halfway. A big problem with these two (and really a lot of dramas) is that that the couples get together too quickly imo and the sweet torture of a slow burn just stops and I no longer care that much anymore plus the stories/mysteries aren’t interesting or good enough for me to continue. This is why I like romance to be a secondary thing in the media I consume and it has to be slow burn romance (which is why I looove Minglan)

I guess I can consider Rebel Princess to be an exception because the couple is established pretty quickly but it’s an arranged marriage so their relationship will develop slowly over time rather than vice versa (relationship develops then marriage) and the story outside of them is interesting enough (the benefit of having such a strong cast) 

Edited by tazmin
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Auniyshi S said:

He loves her at first sight tho!

Oowh about Secret of The Three Kingdom

If you like The Rebel Princess, i think you wud like SoTTK too

Please try it;)

7 hours ago, tazmin said:

@hush puppy I think you’d like Secret of Three Kingdom, you really root for the main character and couple imo plus it has probably the most sauciest scene in recent drama history, none of the awkwardly chaste make-out scenes, like actual passion:criesariver:  (the main couple have such chemistry haha).

@Auniyshi S @tazmin  Oh. I recall it now. "Secret of Three Kingdom". I've seen it. A few years back. And I don't like it. Personally I find it quite boring.

7 hours ago, ElleSor said:

Hahaha! I totally get why some people are "amazed" at ZZY doing this role. She is 41 this year, after all. I read that she's one of the investors for this show so she totally picked this for herself. Aside from this, the story is several episodes long so maybe they considered the ending, she should be around this age when this ends. 

She's a great actress so maybe they wanted to focus on the character's time when she's mature. I've known her for a long time and I really like  her. 

@ElleSor Yes. ZZY was 38 yrs old when she started shooting this drama. They took about 9months. And then have to wait for 3 years before they got the Broadcast Licence. So now she is 41yrs old. China should standardise their filming procedures.  Having to wait so long to meet the audience, is unhealthy for their films industry.

I heard that ZZY likes the Story, as the Female Lead has a personality of a 21st Century woman: strong and unconventional.

I guess they did not have a younger actress to act as the FL when she was in her younger phase because of the fear that there will be a difference in the acting quality.  With younger actresses, it could be a "hit or miss" thing. That could affect the regularity in the story.

It did take me some time to get used to a more elderly looking ZZY. I don't deny that.  But once I got used to it, it does not matter any more.  The plot is solid and the overall acting of the casts are good.  Plus I like Zhou Yi Wei.  Their Chemistry is amazing. Especially when General Xiao Qi was applying the medicine to Princess Wang Xuan's wound.  

My favourite Scene is still when General Xiao Qi saved her at the Hanging Bridge.

I also like the fact that they use their Original Voices.  Except for the 2 actresses from Hong Kong and  Tony Yang/Zidan from Taiwan

• Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

12 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

@Auniyshi S @tazmin  Oh. I recall it now. "Secret of Three Kingdom". I've seen it. A few years back. And I don't like it. Personally I find it quite boring.

@ElleSor Yes. ZZY was 38 yrs old when she filmed this drama. They took about 9months. And then have to wait for 3 years before they got the Broadcast Licence.  China should 

Oooh haha

It's not your taste then!

Wow, such a good drama and have to wait for 3 years before air? 

Waiting more than a year for certification doesn’t seem sustainable in the long run. Can you imagine how many many more Nirvana on Fires or Longest Days we could get if censorship wasn’t so strict and wish washy 

• Like 1

Historical dramas, especially more serious ones that involves politics tend to be harder to get pass NRTA. There's rules for them but they keep changing, and sometimes it's highly dependent on your connections, certain producers can get stuff pass much easier. So a lot of times, companies/dramas end up over self-censoring and we get an inferior product.

There really isn't much in this drama that's risky though, apart from one plot point that I think they changed. I think it's far more likely they were trying to get it to air on TV, and it was too expensive for tv channels to risk it. Since there's restrictions on historical dramas for primetime slot (something like just under 100 ep per year? per tv channel), and recent expensive big budget stuff didn't get the expected ratings they would have, due to less and less people watching tv, and more people using streaming services.

For reference, I'm referring to 5 first tier provincial channels 7:30pm ~ 10pm slot. 2018 only had ashes of love (jiangsu tv) and the rise of phoenixes (hunan), 2019 had story of minglan (hunan) and ming dynasty (hunan), 2020 had serenade of peaceful joy (hunan) and legend of xiao chu (beijing). (I think that's it, but feel free to correct me) There's historical dramas that went to the 10pm slot so they aren't subjected to the restriction. There's also second tier stations that would buy historical dramas for primetime slot, but they are all second rounds, so it'd be much much cheaper. cctv is national tv and I'm not sure if they are subject to to the restriction, but for interest, 2020 had handsome siblings and qin dynasty epic.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Wang Xuan finally realized that her Zidan Ke Ke is such a spoilt brat and she gave him a good scolding that he showed no compassion for their countrymen unlike her husband Xiao Qi who dedicated his life protecting the country. She flatly told him that she loves Xiao Qi and in her heart, she is already Xiao Qi's wife.

She showed real courage no wonder her father had wished she was born male.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

@hush puppy said:

7) The Emperor:  He was the one who planned the Kidnapping of Princess Wang Xuan. To thwart the PM's plan.  Frightening isn't it?  The emperor loves the Princess so much.  But will not hesitate to hurt/sacrifice her when needs arise.  His Hatred for the PM outstriped his Love for Princess Wang Xuan.  Again, the Princess became someone's else Pawn

I am shocked! Wow! From the raw episodes I actually thought it was the second prince that got Awu kidnapped. I can’t believe it’s the emperor. Wow. Trust nobody. I hope Awu finds out. It seems the number of people she can trust is dwindling fast. About her maid, I wondered if she slept with the third prince because of some dire need but it turns out it’s the crown princess’s plot. Enemies everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1

I’m really resisting watching the raw episodes but luckily the subbing on China Zone is pretty quick. 

I have to say the OST is great in this, understated but grand (which fits the theme of this show) But onward with a review of episode 8. It’s not surprising to me that Zitan choose revenge over A’wu but he seems not all that smart to not realise why A’wu was suddenly marrying someone else. He’s also not that smart to realise he could run away with her and also plan for his revenge with the outer kings but it could be grief clouding him I guess. 

One thing I wasn’t expecting the antagonism so early from Wang Ru but then again considering what’s happened to her it’s not that surprising. I’m guess that resentment will grow once she sees how well of a husband Xiao Qi is to A’wu regardless of his ‘lowly blood’. Being the Crown Princess to man with a brain of gnat will be a net negative for her. 

I have to say in episode 7 when A’wu’s loss of innocence scene - I got chills watching that. Her visible transformation was heartbreaking, a sudden and forcible push into the messiness of adulthood and royal life

spacer.png

Edited by tazmin
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

Wang Xuan finally realized that her Zidan Ke Ke is such a spoilt brat and she gave him a good scolding that he showed no compassion for their countrymen unlike her husband Xiao Qi who dedicated his life protecting the country. She flatly told him that she loves Xiao Qi and in her heart, she is already Xiao Qi's wife.

She showed real courage no wonder her father had wished she was born male.

@jacquelinetan  Princess Wang Xuan has matured - emotionally and intellectually. But Zidan has stayed stagnant.  Which is why some relationships break up after several years.  Because one party has not kept up with the other.

Being doted upon by everyone in the palace since birth, does give one the Self-Confidence and at times Arrogance. But this Princess is not as "arrogant" as some heroines in other dramas (period or modern).  So she is easily likeable.

Even at ep 17, when they were defending the city, she cautioned the soldiers not to harm those captured unnecessarily.  She has Humane qualities.  Which even most Commoners may not have.

7 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I am shocked! Wow! From the raw episodes I actually thought it was the second prince that got Awu kidnapped. I can’t believe it’s the emperor. Wow. Trust nobody. I hope Awu finds out. It seems the number of people she can trust is dwindling fast. About her maid, I wondered if she slept with the third prince because of some dire need but it turns out it’s the crown princess’s plot. Enemies everywhere. 

@celebrianna  Yes.  From now on, she can only trust her mom, herself and her Knight in the Shinning Armour - General Xiao Qi

As for her maid, she also wanted it.  Otherwise Crown Princess Xie Wan Ru will never be able to trick her.  I'm worried. Because Wan Ru has sent her to harm Princess Wang Xuan.  I hope it fails.  

And Now, we have to wait till next Monday to watch our General Xiao Qi come and save her Beloved Princess and the city.  This will be the 5th time he has saved her.  Even the most Hardened Heart will melt with this Man.

It took some time for Princess Wang Xuan to fall in love with General Xiao Qi because:

- She was initially already madly in love with Ma Zidan

- Of the difference in status.  Right from their very first meeting, she described him as "Unrefined" (粗人-cu ren).  Even after marriage, when the General opened her room window at his camp.  She was "prejudiced" because of her upbringing and also having spent all her life in the Palace. Never ventured outside to mix with people of other status.

- Anger: He left her on their Wedding Night. Leaving her embarrassed, humiliated.

- Of a Misunderstanding.  Right from the beginning, she thought it was the General who used his Military Skills and Power, to force this Marriage from the Palace.

Until General Xiao Qi told her it was otherwise.  Xiao Qi is always a Gentleman. He told her he already knew she had a lover. So would never tear them apart. (Even though he likes her at first sight).  Until the Empress issued the Royal Decree which he was not allowed to reject.  So he was the one who was being Forced.

And when he told her how her father (PM) coaxed (or can we say "Begged") him 3X to marry her daughter, Princess Wang Xuan was completely ashamed.  

But the General was so Gentle and Patient with her

• Love 2
  • Insightful 1