[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Love Between Fairy and Devil 苍兰诀

sugarplum892

completed this drama , rate it 6.5/10 overall which is average

the 2 main leads are above average (7/10) but the CGI world is too narrow and finger pointly golden pewpew that anybody can block (4/10)

GuoXiaoTing became fixed into such roles (sweet look fighter infected by bad miasma) , this is my 3rd time watching her drama (灵剑山,与君初相识)
Her disciple isn't really bad , he just have no moral limit towards his goal , this tragic side-story is good

Good original voice by female lead , songs are good although I don't like the specific singer's signature cross-gender singing

I fast forwarded plenty and didn't care about the male-to-male talk , glad I did that because the emperor guy is airhead and his finger magic attack can always be blocked

good "journey" feeling as they moved to new studio location after every segment
the part about moving to moon palace is good and well explored , the shift in architecture and fake flowers , explaining the iron maiden torture device and including child actors in the flashback

personally I dislike magic fantasy drama where the bad guy is a CGI monster trapped in a place and commanding humans to do bad things

3 hours ago, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

Wow, that's really low... it's a pity the drama won't meet your expectations to receive a better score. I wonder if you follow 

Spoiler

Immortal Samsara? Bcs in my opinion that drama is really average, especially compared to LBFAD. 

The Chinese fantasy TV series "Canglan Jue", or Love Between Fairy and Devil, has become a viral hit on China's social media. - China Daily reported today LOL   on my newsfeed 

J'adore Love between Fairy and Devil  8.9   and added to the list of my favourites :love:   Their kisses are phenomenal (saw a video on yt of their kisses :kiss_wink:  its like cornucopia of goodness and love ) 

9 hours ago, leo2020 said:

It's ep 8 if I'm not mistaken.

:D I guess you are not the only one, hehe)))

Thank you , thank you ....i am rewatching and up to ep 5  so far 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

9 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

The Chinese fantasy TV series "Canglan Jue", or Love Between Fairy and Devil, has become a viral hit on China's social media. - China Daily reported today LOL   on my newsfeed 

Wow, cool)):highonflowers: and well-deserved.

10 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

I am rewatching

I will definitely rewatch when I have enough time.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

the 2 main leads are above average (7/10) but the CGI world is too narrow and finger pointly golden pewpew that anybody can block (4/10)

GuoXiaoTing became fixed into such roles (sweet look fighter infected by bad miasma) , this is my 3rd time watching her drama (灵剑山,与君初相识)
Her disciple isn't really bad , he just have no moral limit towards his goal , this tragic side-story is good

Good original voice by female lead , songs are good although I don't like the specific singer's signature cross-gender singing

I fast forwarded plenty and didn't care about the male-to-male talk , glad I did that because the emperor guy is airhead and his finger magic attack can always be blocked

good "journey" feeling as they moved to new studio location after every segment
the part about moving to moon palace is good and well explored , the shift in architecture and fake flowers , explaining the iron maiden torture device and including child actors in the flashback

personally I dislike magic fantasy drama where the bad guy is a CGI monster trapped in a place and commanding humans to do bad things

Although I just started to catch up on episodes of this (about 18 episodes in) I can see where you got your rating from. 

But don’t get me wrong it’s a fun show and I do enjoy it. But I sorta feel like this show was directed more towards the younger crowd (I’m in my mid 30s) rather than someone my age or older. The story is quite unique in his own way. I do sorta feel like it’s almost a superficial story rather than something that’s insightful (with more thought process and deeper thinking ). Not sure if that makes sense. It’s a drama where you’re able to watch it without any stress or frustration as well. Very light hearted. 

the comedy in it is also very upfront and direct rather than filled with puns etc… 

Hope no one takes offense to what I’ve said. I do like it what I’ve seen but that’s the general type of feeling I get. It’s a more relaxed show. I’m able to come back to it without feeling like I need to understand what’s happening and I think the perfect length as well. 

i’ll let you know more once I do finish it. 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:59 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

Was turned off by Esther's voice LoL I even dropped it. Decided to give it another go. It now becomes bearable (Esther's voice) she's real cute I'd admit LoL.

Dylan is an antagonist here which is no different to a tsundere ml LoL! He is cold in front of the fairy but does a lot for her behind the scenes discreetly.. 

Their interactions are really fun and adorable~ it remind me a bit of the myth of Persephone and Hades.

@Latte_Anyday  @Keekiii  I just started last week.  Almost drop it too.  

I find Eps 1 - 5 not so well-made: boring and disintegrated. Between Eps 1 and 5 alone, I dropped it 5 times.  I fast-forward quite often.  Just my opinions.  Others may differ of course.  I was very "Turned Off" by Esther's voice and acting. (Apology to her Fans here).

For me, this drama starts to take Shape and rekindles my Interest from Ep 7 onwards.  I just finished  Ep 8.

I have No Problem with the Male Lead. His Acting is on-point.  I watch for him and the story. 

BTW it will be on Netflix from 18 Sept

5 hours ago, Keekiii said:

Very light hearted. 

Emmm, not that I hint at anything,  but I suggest you store a reasonable amount of tissues in advance:rolleyes:.

Just a friendly advice :lol::D...

3 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I was very "Turned Off" by Esther's voice and acting.

I can't comment a lot re her voice, since I don't speak the language and,as you can imagine, it's impossible to be annoyed if you don't understand a thing:D. However, it's my understanding she prefers to dub her roles herself, so since it's her voice there is nothing she can do about it). 

Re her acting - at first, when I was not familiar with the character and her backstory I was like "oh, no, another typical "up to being dumb" FL". Especially when she went to see Changheng. Later, when I watched Little Orchid's interactions and dialogs where she expresses her points of view on life and things to other characters, I began to understand her better. I can get where that naive girl inside of her comes from. Also, as the story progresses she progresses as well. So, because of all that, IMO, Esther's acting was on point. BTW, it's my first time seeing her onscreen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Emmm, not that I hint at anything,  but I suggest you store a reasonable amount of tissues in advance:rolleyes:.

Just a friendly advice :lol::D...

I can't comment a lot re her voice, since I don't speak the language and,as you can imagine, it's impossible to be annoyed if you don't understand a thing:D. However, it's my understanding she prefers to dub her roles herself, so since it's her voice there is nothing she can do about it). 

Re her acting - at first, when I was not familiar with the character and her backstory I was like "oh, no, another typical "up to being dumb" FL". Especially when she went to see Changheng. Later, when I watched Little Orchid's interactions and dialogs where she expresses her points of view on life and things to other characters, I began to understand her better. I can get where that naive girl inside of her comes from. Also, as the story progresses she progresses as well. So, because of all that, IMO, Esther's acting was on point. BTW, it's my first time seeing her onscreen.

Oh no here’s another  tear jerker lol. 

I thought her acting was on point too. (My first time seeing her as well. ) esp when they body switched lol. That definitely showed both actors abilities

24 minutes ago, Keekiii said:

Oh no here’s another  tear jerker lol. 

I thought her acting was on point too. (My first time seeing her as well. ) esp when they body switched lol. That definitely showed both actors abilities

It a jewel:wub:, believe me). Won't spoil u with more info, otherwise you won't enjoy it as much as u should :lol:.  

WHD explained that for body switch scenes they would first act the scene themselves (without "switch") for the other actor to observe, then pick up and act in "switch mood". 

@Keekiii I love their story. 

Both actors really acted so well. 

I cried and laughed with them so much.

As for the female lead's voice, I think it fits the fairy character, hence the cuteness.

I prefer the actors to use their own voices no matter how high or funny they sound. 

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 8:32 AM, ElleSor said:

@Keekiii I love their story. 

Both actors really acted so well. 

I cried and laughed with them so much.

As for the female lead's voice, I think it fits the fairy character, hence the cuteness.

I prefer the actors to use their own voices no matter how high or funny they sound. 

Oh man ok I see what you mean for their story lol. I just got to like 1/3 way in and with the explanation and the father. Least there’s some good humor mixed in with the extreme sadness to balance. >__<. 

I agree with the voice that’s why I love yangzi cause she usually does her own voice. Zhao lusi does her own most times too and Lou yunxi. I think the voice of xiao lan hua def fits well.  This is my first time seeing her and she def does the role well.  

Ok lemme try to finish asap and will comment then. Please be a happy ending lol

Forgot to add that I LOVE xiaolanhua outfits and the costumes in the show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keekiii said:

Oh man ok I see what you mean for their story lol. I just got to like 1/3 way in and with the explanation and the father. Least there’s some good humor mixed in with the extreme sadness to balance. >__<. 

I agree with the voice that’s why I love yangzi cause she usually does her own voice. Zhao lusi does her own most times too and Lou yunxi. I think the voice of xiao lan hua def fits well.  This is my first time seeing her and she def does the role well.  

Ok lemme try to finish asap and will comment then. Please be a happy ending lol

Forgot to add that I LOVE xiaolanhua outfits and the costumes in the show.

Ooohhh! Yes, her clothes can pass for modern gowns.

So chic and pretty. Dylan Wang also looks great in his Moon Supreme clothes. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, ElleSor said:

Dylan Wang also looks great in his Moon Supreme clothes. 

Those IMO are the best xianxia male costumes I've seen so far, honestly). And most importantly the whole styling is exquisite and makes Dylan look majestic and as a rock star at the same time:lol:

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

CTO

@SC2019 @ElleSor @leo2020 Love all of his costumes! The looks itself can kill at first sight! Let me go back and swoon all over again...

https://cyn-lynn.blogspot.com/2022/08/love-between-fairy-and-devil-recap-and.html

This blog site offers some micro details that I missed... Interesting...

I think I should learn how to gif...

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

8 hours ago, ElleSor said:

Ooohhh! Yes, her clothes can pass for modern gowns.

So chic and pretty. Dylan Wang also looks great in his Moon Supreme clothes. 

6 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Those IMO are the best xianxia male costumes I've seen so far, honestly). And most importantly the whole styling is exquisite and makes Dylan look majestic and as a rock star at the same time:lol:

Ah I really love costumes in this it’s so unique. I feel like I’ve never even this type of style anywhere before. XLH dresses are so adorable. I love the flowing sleeve look. And I agree Dylan looks so majestic even if he’s doing something silly. 

I also love Shang Que character. He’s like the town idiot that’s not only sincere but powerful. Lol he’s so clueless about everything however he does show his appreciation to DFQC. I’m more than half way but I’m wondering

Spoiler

Do they show Shang que back story? I know he was an orphan and DFQC took him in and was the only one that didn’t want his dragon skin etc…  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wuzetian said:

https://cyn-lynn.blogspot.com/2022/08/love-between-fairy-and-devil-recap-and.html

This blog site offers some micro details that I missed... Interesting...

I think I should learn how to gif...

Thank you @Wuzetian  I read the above re caps and they are fantastic  ...and loved the synopsis on how he was able to return at the end ... cyn-lynn blogspot 100% thank you ,,,I can almost feel like another person loved this drama as much as I did  :love:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1