[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Who Rules The World 且试天下

sugarplum892

15 hours ago, omiki said:

No, you can’t watch this on YouTube, except for the trailers. So far, I noticed that it is available on Netflix and Tencent’s WeTV.

Some Wu Xia elements at the beginning, then it becomes ‘fight for the throne’ saga, and ‘warring kingdoms’. But of course, nobody can deny that this is essentially a romance story. Thankfully, there is no overly scheming or annoying second leads vying for the affections of our main leads. 

I mostly enjoyed every episode, especially episodes 25 and 26, except for the latest episodes 29 and 30 where I was nodding off …

Bored To Death Reaction GIF

OK thanks, guess I am gonna skip if there isn't much Wuxia here, :(

8 hours ago, Ultimatedramalover said:

Thank goodness, I am not the only one. I thought the writer kinda rushed things now. I am at ep 32. U all won't believe what the WTF moment I had watching it. Really?? 

I haven't watched til 32 yet. But my sister told me, 31-32 are the worst episodes with the worst WTF moments...Ill be looking forward to more plot bashing later. 

@linh5000 I won't consider it that harshly but the feeling I got was "Eh? what just happened? huh? That's all?"

it felt like I was in an auto car-wash, we went through the motions, and the aim was just to get it over and done with so it could progress to the next part. Editing issues? The sudden 40-episodes ruling that got mposed while this drama was in the midst of being filmed (reportedly this was what they faced in reality)? 

So a few questions popped up when I saw certain scenes: 

Spoiler
Spoiler
  • Going down on his knees was sweet but it made me think of a marriage proposal - was that one?
  • Are we as viewers gonna get to see BFX interact with her father before it's too late?
  • When is HFX gonna let on he knows her identity, he can't be that clueless right, or he is gonna protect her 'face' and 'ego', since she's been keeping mum about the whole thing? I mean if the script were to dumb his IQ down in this aspect, I would say that's a major plot flaw, even YWY knows

• Like 1

I just saw 29 and 30

Spoiler

Princess is annoying me re her husband selection but I did enjoy how she thought she could put play BHFX duo lol. 

I really liked what BFX said to HC while rejecting his offer to become his empress. Spot on and yes, I enjoy seeing the FL protect the ML for a change but still annoyed that this drama focuses more on Lanxi than BFX (she is the main character in the novel!!) Oh YWY revealing himself a bit to BFX, she’ll figure him out soon. The writers should have done a better job at adapting the politics among six states to reflect the battle for who rules the world. Ok that aside - it’s still super good.

31 + 32

Spoiler

Re 31 -

I have to give a little credit to the writer for how they adapted the Go game component from the novel - it was unexpected and so far well done. yey to OTP - they are so adorable together - finally a chu-kiss after 30 episodes lol.

Still hate Yongzhou Emperor and he will def get his karma soon for trusting his evil wife and PJ too much

32: Ah darn it - the editing team went and really messed up! Surely they could have done a better job than the start of this episode. I fear that it’s gonna be choppy rush to wrap things up in this up coming episodes. And up until this episode - it has been very good for the most part - they could have cut minor lag scenes re evil Queen, Princess, or even PJ to add a few more mins to make the story cohesive. Also due to the bad editing - they messed up Langhua’s character to just go too abrupt and hurt BFX. Because last time we saw their interaction - things were solid. Now it is too abrupt and we didn’t know YWY and his gang popping up there etc. 

But the scenes after that with OTP seems okay again. Ugh!! Cdrama staff please take more care to edit the entire series well to fit your episode allocation! 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 1

33 + 34 - wooosh 

Are we only getting 40 episodes total??

Spoiler

It is now sooooo obvious re the chopping and editing to fit the episode limitation.

The plot going so fast and boom - coup! PJ going down telling the truth - and calling out his own father lol - I really enjoyed that scene. Yong Emperor still resisted accepting Lanxi till the very end - like man - you are soo biased lol. 

I wish the writer didn’t make Lanxi so perfect - of course he’s angry with his father too but maybe these important nuance got cut!!! Ughhhh why Cdrama whyyyyyy. Very little screen time of BFX too. 

Edit: My Netflix just listed this drama to drop on June 10!!! Yey! I will save it for a rewatch and see if there is any difference re editing. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 2

I binge watched the 34 epis this week & I like the show.

I haven't read the novel so only know about the OG story from the info given by fellow members. But I like the change of LF not knowing BF's identity much better. It gives more depth to their romance. FL is calculative about everything else but her. He still has confidence to rule the world with BF by his side even if she is a commoner. BF herself who doesn't like the court power struggles & therefore hidden herself in martial arts world is now actively participating in FL's power struggle. Plus she knows that her true identity of Princess XY is the ace in the hole/trump card that would help FL's ambitions come true. 

I think the writers made the right choice to let both FL & BF deliberately not pursue eachother's background. Otherwise Fountain Abode could have easily found that BF is XY. Same for BF knowing that HF is FL. She came to know it when FL made the deliberate choice to let her know by inviting her to Youngzhou. I am happy that their romantic relationship developed based on their HF-BF interactions. 

YW is frankly just a plot device & not an active participant in the story. I really have no patience for his revenge drama. So glad that he has been kept in the background of the main story. 

I consider the 1st 15 epis as setup epis & the real meat of the story starts after the Mount Wu track. I admit that I am not a big fan of the fanatsy action adventures & I am more interested in the high stakes power struggle drama. So I actually liked the show better after 15 epis. 

The Lord of Youngzhou, Queen Baili & Prince FJ seem to suffer from imposter syndrome. The LoY is not of imperial line so he feels threatened that his rule can be overthrown at any moment. He loves Baili & hence his more obvious affection for her & FJ. But he definitely was not blind. I think he always knew that FL is the right choice for heir but kept undermining him to not make him overshadow himself & kept the carrot of heir dangling in front of Baili & FJ to keep them in control. As long as they focus on FL they won't focus on overthrowing him. 

• Like 3

I really give up on all the plot holes in this drama..  As suspected, everything is rushed at the end.  I really feel like 34-36 should be about 2/3  into the story, not the end.  But eh..i'm just gonna ride out this drama since there's only 4 more episodes. 

Hopefully, it will be a good ending. 

• Blob 1

@linh5000 yes, dear. This question begs to be asked. I think halfway through, the scriptwriter(s) got fatigued and were too lazy to address such questions. On a brighter note, even HC, his 'best buddy' doesn't know. So it's not only one clueless person, it's two.

@Lodestar fortunately, I am not picky, and have enjoyed the politics and the wuxia elements. I believe a bone of contention that some viewers have picked at is the initial positioning of this drama - there was great promise for wuxia, at least that's how it was marketed. So, you can imagine the dismay when it soon gave way to other things.

I'll get to watch it tonight, so I will bid this show farewell then. I just wanna say, it's been entertaining to watch, and the budget they've had on their hands has allowed me to enjoy great visuals, actors who are extremely pleasing to the eye, and believable CGI. I won't comment on the storyline, genre (wuxia - to be or not to be, that is the question), quality of acting or the plotholes; as the Emperor is wont to say "your merit cancels out your crime", so let it be. It's been a satisfactory ride and I bid the cast and crew adieu (in 9 hours' time)!

• Like 4

Ok, I wanna throw a few cusses at the scriptwriter after watching E39-40. Though the ending is a 

Spoiler
Spoiler

HE one, I dislike that they only gave them 10 years of life together. The optimistic viewer would say in between those 10 years, our enterprising BFX would have found a cure for her dear ole' hubby and better 10 years of undivided devotion to each other, than 50 years of him ruling the world and not being fully attentive to her. [on a side note, I still think the only person who carries white/silvery hair well is Dong Hua Di Jun. Sorry HFX, I don't think white hair suits you, IMHO.]

I hope the rest of you viewing this savour the remaining episodes and those of you who are catching up, eventually catch up. Enjoy!

Found this, and thought you all might like to watch the both of them fooling around on site

• LOL 1
  • Blob 1

I can't say I hated it or that I really loved it. It was entertaining and had an aesthetically pleasing couple as leads. The plot pacing and character development could definitely have been better and I also felt the underlying 'its lonely at the top' message from the novel was lost. It's disappointing as this had the makings of a great drama but ultimately ended up a little flat.  Seem like I've been spoiled by all the quality content in recent years, the bar has been raised. When time permits, I might try giving the novel a shot seeing how everyone has raved about it. 

• Like 4

all done...

@debbsthebee completely agreed!!  This drama has soo much potential to be great, but everything was just mehhh. I only finished it because of the MC.

I feel that the writers had so many ideas and put them all the drama, but couldn't execute them correctly.  They set up all different ways for more chaos, but then no chaos really happened. 

Spoiler

Old Taijin could have came out from the mysterious hiding spot and told the world about the bad Yu Yu..

I also dont understand why the moon flowers couldn't save her again? There seems to be about a bouquet left from last time, he only used 4 petals.

@SC2019 

Spoiler

I've always wonder how YY would look if he played DH DJ, now I know...nope! hahhaa. Geo Wei Wang still rocks that hair style better than anybody i've seen in drama.

Goodbye to this drama, it was entertaining.  YY and ZLS are always eye candies for the screen.  Now i need to find a new drama to get through the week. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

@linh5000 erh and one other question, did I skip a scene or was it never mentioned again?

Spoiler
  • What happened to BFX's sect sister aka head of the sect and her journey (with the sect brother) to the border to investigate the background of YWY?
  • I agree, the flower wasn't dead right? continue to water with inner energy? no?
  • And yes, why on earth didn't Master Taijin come out earlier? And how on earth did HFX know how to locate him? There was no previous mention of them being acquainted before.
  • Yup, GWG still looks better with silvery hair though the novel's depiction of DHDJ was someone far younger than what his face could offer. Then again, as a package, GWG nailed that role.

• Like 1

Hii I am behind but will try to finish it today. I watched 35 and 36 yesterday and am agreeing at how this show had soooo much potential but has plateaued. Will finish and go the-read the novel lol. Will comeback to read everyone’s thoughts. 

• Like 1

I’m not really a fan of cdramas and have only watched Ashes of Love before, but got curious because my wife was watching this drama. I tried episode 1 yesterday and now up to episode 8. The chemistry between the two leads is very good and I liked Zhao Lusi’s visuals. She also has a striking resemblance to a korean actress that I like. 
I already know what is going to happen in the end because my wife finished the last episode earlier, but I have no idea what happened in between.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

I just finished it. Best thing from this drama remains the leads YY and ZLS as HFX and BFX. They fit what I envisioned of both characters from the novel - they also do have good chemistry and are adorable together - I stay watching because of them even if I wasn’t a big fan of either before. But as far as period Cdrama goes, I can’t think of OTP pair with such a solid positive love relationship as BHFX couple. 

The plot and pace started great and lost it midway when the writer couldn’t balance the political war schemes + palace schemes and just focused on the latter etc. I really wish Cdrama productions would work on pacing and editing across the total episodes even if they were forced to cut from 45 to 40 —- the reallllly crazy chopping in the last  ten episodes or so just made it messy!! @SC2019 that is why so many little details didn’t make sense because they got chopped…..

Having said all that when it hits my Netflix in June, I will rewatch to see if there is any difference. 

Spoiler

So they kept the OTP dynamic, relationship - the start and the end of the novel re them giving up their thrones but over simplified every thing else including BFX. What is up with the ten years left of Lanxi’s life dramatics because that was NOT in the novel lol. 

It has been fun fellow fans - I don’t know what I am watching next re Cdrama since I am way too picky. Take care and see you in other threads.

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 3

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Who Rules The World 且试天下

@SC2019This will be completely off topic, but GWG would have been perfect if he was 10 years younger in Pillow book. LOL...he got that eternal king look..but his older face gave him a bit of wisdom that DJ needs.

back to topic..

Spoiler

as @Yinye mentioned, all the editing was choppy..I really dont mind if this drama had extended to 50-55 and that would make a good drama...wish they did.

any body waiting on Reba's Anle story?

• Like 1

I'm just at episode 15 but can't control myself and read the spoilers here. So the ending is bittersweet which is a bit disappointing and seriously what is with the white hair? I've watch my share of kdramas were the endings are WTF endings, so I hope I will not be too disappointed with the ending here.