[Drama 2021-2022] Snowdrop, 설강화

gm4queen

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

JTBC’s “Snowdrop” has released more stills ahead of tonight’s episode!

Directed and written by the “SKY Castle” team, “Snowdrop” is set in Seoul in 1987. It is about the love story between Su Ho (Jung Hae In), a student at a prestigious university who rushes into a women’s university covered in blood one day, and Young Ro (BLACKPINK’s Jisoo), a student at the women’s university who hides and take care of him despite facing danger and close surveillance.

Spoilers

In the previous episode, a fake press conference was aired saying that seven spies were involved in the hostage situation at Hosu Women’s University. Seeing this news, Kang Chung Ya (Yoo In Na) ordered Su Ho to release 30 of the hostages.

As such, it remains to be seen who will be released from the dormitory. With Young Ro shocked by her brother’s death and Nam Tae Il (Park Sung Woong) persistently requesting Kang Chung Ya, each person possesses their own opinion that affects their view of the situation.

New stills show Su Ho observing the hostages while Young Ro sits on the ground with her arms crossed, her eyes weary and filled with hints of suspicion. What will be Su Ho’s final decision, and what plan will the National Security Planning Agency hatch to keep the freed hostages from talking?

Jung-Hae-In-Jisoo.jpg

In episode 9, Young Ro will be unable to to believe Su Ho’s assertion that he doesn’t want to hurt anyone and, together with Lee Kang Moo (Jang Seung Jo), will come up with a plan to escape the dangerous situation.

This episode of “Snowdrop” will air on January 9 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1507596wpp/blackpinks-jisoo-is-unable-to-trust-jung-hae-in-in-snowdrop

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

@Heedong It was funny how SH was so serious giving their demands for medicine etc that he had to pause and look at GC for a moment. And then GC’s smile at the end as if to say “mission accomplished!” 

I wonder whose side Ms Pi will be on and who is she reporting to? Could she be doing it against her will because there were a lot more things going on inside the dorm that she didn’t report.

Poor Kang Moo, the expression on his face at being told to go back inside. The higher ups don’t really care for the welfare of the common folk unless it’s for their advantage. 

I’m so curious at how things will unravel because there are still so many variables that we don’t know. And some characters like Dr Kang, Ms Pi and Kang Moo who can all change sides depending on the turn of events. And of course, how they will show the progress of SH and YR relationship. I’m guessing that something drastic will happen in order for YR to bring back what she saw in SH in the beginning. It’s interesting to note that in this hostage situation, it is SH who seems more vulnerable than YR. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shinkeru said:
It’s interesting to note that in this hostage situation, it is SH who seems more vulnerable than YR. 

It definitely adds some dimension to the drama! Sooho is balancing on a very thin line. He has orders to fulfill, but he also never meant to hold anyone hostage. He’s head over heels for a girl and wants to protect her, but she’s part of those being held hostage. He would want to play favorites, but his comrades are watching and doing so could place her in even more danger. Despite YoungRo fearing for her life, she isn’t struggling with her ideals, nor is she required to play a game of poker with her own people. All of that leaves Sooho in a more vulnerable position because he’s trying to keep his head above water for BOTH sides, whereas Youngro doesn’t have to do that.

• Like 5

@littleinvisiblenao 

Exactly! At this point, YR is too distraught and in pain with the loss of her brother she doesn’t even see the balancing act SH is doing to keep her and everyone safe. Meanwhile, SH, who has been very careful not to reveal his feelings, allows himself one time to let her know how he feels when she hugged him, but he ends up being blindsided.

Btw, can I just say that JHI really nailed this character. The way he switches from a cold and emotionless hostage taker to a vulnerable guy struggling with his feelings is impressive.

• Like 3

@shinkeru then there was Secretary Nam stressing about what brand of ramyeon does these NK guys wanted lol

Ms Pi is using the codename Rhine, hope we'll see more of this in the coming episodes.

Didn't expect that they will really kill Young Ro's brother but it was needed for her to view Su Ho in a not so rose-tinted glasses way anymore (albeit the paper plane incident). I felt bad that Young U couldn't keep his promise of protecting his sister until the end. The love that Eun siblings have for each other is beyond words. 

I already felt so many emotions just by HaeSoo hugging, what more if they kiss...

JHI is indeed a versatile actor, his choice of roles recently are very different from the characters that he used to portray (the soft, puppy guy). 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Omo, very very intense episode. 

Recap of ep. 9:

Since that guy Nam tae il seems useless, both SH and KM make a deal and want to escape with all the students alive.  HN is being briefed by KM in a separate room along with SH, as she brings in the food supplies for all of them including cup noodles.  She is surprised that these two made a deal.  The deal was to bring in evidence against NTI as his orders are not proper.  HN should be very happy as KM told SH that she is his fiance. 

HN goes out with 30 students released and being given earful by that politician NTI.  She is asking him if he is not happy that the students are released.  He says of course he is.  She tries to collect evidence by placing a device underneath his table and leaves the room.  She makes a deal with that reporter too.  

BO asks to go to toilet and that old ahjusshi's son follow her asking her where is the money bag?  He starts to beat her and when she started shouting, GC rescue her from him.  

In the meantime YR asks KM if he has any plan.  He tells about the wire tapping room and also that dr. Kang is a NK Comrade.  Ar night ms. Pi pass on the key to that secret room to YR. 

The next morning Ms. Pi and the students start their usual activities what they do in the dorm.  They start to exercise with a bgm.  SH asks what they are doing and ms. Pi tells that they need a break and he allows everyone to go to their respective rooms.  YR has some plans and she takes her automatic watch and goes out.  She throws it somewhere and wait for GC to get distracted.  The alarm in the watch goes off and he goes to look for it.  YR runs to that secret room.  GC runs back to see YR is missing and SH is informed- he goes in search of her and chaotic scenes begin.  KM unties himself and beats down the spy who was shot and recovered.  KM goes to find dr.kang and tells her that YR is missing and locks her in the upper floor where SH stayed.  Ms. Pi in the mean time take all the students somewhere leading to another secret entrance. 

SH goes in search of YR and found her hiding behind the secret wall and asks her if she is inside.  She does not answer.  He taps the door as she did when he was hurt to open it.  It's so emotional seeing them both.  KM comes there and starts to fight with SH and YR comes out.  KM wins this time and points the gun at him and ties SH's hand back and all 3 leave that room. 

When Ms. Pi clears the old furniture which hinders the secret entrace, the comic police bf of Ko Hye Ryeong asks to step back and a bomb wire is placed there.  Everybody asks him to unwire it but he says he don't know.  KM comes and detach it.  The police bf takes charge to point a gun at SH.  SH advances towards him.  But he is alert.  He also see YR and each of their expressions!!!! Wow!!! 

KM detached the bomb and everyone ready to go when dr. Kang escapes from that room and shouts at everyone to stop.  She surprises everyone that if anybody moves, she will detonate the bomb.  KM calls her to stop.  Another guy who is pursuing seol mi starts to move.  She presses the button and the bomb goes off.  the episode ends. 

Wow!!! Superb episode

• Like 3
  • Love 2

This episode was just   :wut:

So Dr. Kang has feelings for SuHo! They met when Dr. Kang almost fell while hiking and SuHo was miraculously there to save her then they were stuck in a cave for days. 

Ms Pi is working under the ASNP but she cares more for her students than anybody else. 

I didn't expect Bun-Ok and Comrade Joo's pairing! He was speaking in a delicate manner to Bun-Ok after the bathroom incident. Also, he was so sweet to undone those booby traps for her!   :saitama:

Gosh the ending... I feel bad for whoever was sacrificed this time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

No matter how much I think, I dont know how SH and YR can be together.

Anyway, I will take whatever crumbs I can get..    :D

Finally, Sooho and Youngro are talking..   :wub:

My fav scene was when they looked at each other because those wires were removed from that door.

That fear of losing each other was real. 

The intro is kind of spooky.

:fullofhearts:

FIq8T7OacAAQs6Q?format=jpg&name=900x900

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTquSE97t6y1h6xttQ32DO

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@shinkeru Atop all of that, literally EVERYONE, every single person with an integral role in that building at least knows that Sooho has a soft spot for Yeongro, and those with an even more keen eye know that he’s downright in love with her. Then there’s poor Yeongro who is so confused and scared that she can’t understand (reasonably) or comprehend that Sooho loves her. 

I see numerous comments about “Sooho apologists” and red flags, and they’re understandable, but this is so much more than a man who lied about his identity and is abusing those around him. This is about regimes and brainwashing, about struggling for freedom in all ways that it applies, and despite being a spy who has committed crimes, he too is a victim of his circumstances. We’re watching a character that has been raised, brainwashed, and weaponized by his own nation struggling to find a way to fulfill the role he’s been brainwashed to believe in, while protecting as many individuals as possible. We’re watching as he grapples with the very foundation of his existence and beliefs but regardless of his stance, Yeongro is still a priority, and that aspect of himself is throwing him off balance and making him question everything that much more fiercely. His character development started the moment he tried to ask Yeongro to dinner but stopped himself.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 4

The epilogue..

I think this is the first time Bunok has felt special..

Comrade Joo was so caring...

I ship them   :D

I like all the scenes between Suho and Kang Mu.

KM didnt have a gun but his words were his weapon.

He killed EC but he just locked  Chungya in that attic. That was reckless.

:wub:

FIrW6UcVgAYrOO_?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rocher22 said:

The epilogue..

I think this is the first time Bunok has felt special..

Comrade Joo was so caring...

I ship them   :D

I like all the scenes between Suho and Kang Mu.

KM didnt have a gun but his words were his weapon.

He killed EC but he just locked  Chungya in that attic. That was reckless.

GyeokChan’s development was spectacular. It adds so much depth to these characters and really helps to paint a picture of their circumstances. I’ve interpreted his now more patient demeanor with Bunok as a sign that all the NK agents are trained to some degree to view their enemies as below them, as if they weren’t even human. Overhearing BunOk’s enraged monologue about her desperate way of life and situation humanized her in his mind. He now sees her as more than a random hostage that causes trouble, he recognizes her as a person with a story. Ironic that this was the ship I thought about, but jokingly, never thinking they’d play it out. “How funny would it be to see them link the two most emotionally volatile characters?” This could either end amazingly, or horribly. 

I don’t believe KangMu killed Eungcheol? I’m fairly certain he just exerted extra strength to restrict EungCheol’s airways just enough to have him loose consciousness. Otherwise their cautious actions of keeping the rifle trained on EungCheol and tying him up before leaving as if he’d wake up any moment wouldn’t make sense. It’d all be wasted time that could have been used to escape. 

• Like 4

Something that has been on my mind and I wanted to share is how YeongRo will process all of Sooho’s actions. Specifically those done in attempt to help her in some form. 

More than any other act of protectiveness or kindness, the one that stands out above the rest is Sooho’s choice to withhold information about the upcoming election. It speaks volumes of his intentions towards YeongRo and I firmly believe it should speak volumes to YeongRo herself when she eventually gets the chance to dissect all these small but significant moves that Sooho has made. The only other action that is truly comparable to this is Sooho finding her airplane and CHOOSING to keep it. 

YeongRo may be naive at times, but she’s not inept. In the heat of all the rising emotions and desperation to escape, it’s highly probable that Sooho’s choice to withhold information from her for her sake evaded her. She’s caught up in a LOT, as I’ve mentioned time and time again like a broken record player. Despite all this, she should be fully capable of putting two and two together after hearing the truth behind the 9 day delay from KangMu. He confirms Sooho’s claim, something she initially doubted due to the lack of an explanation, and she now knows her father is a partial reason behind it (even if he didn’t make the choice himself.) Now with all that information, the only logical explanation for Sooho’s silence was to spare YeongRo from any additional pain it could cause her. Which was again made clear by KangMu who reasonably uses that vulnerability against Sooho to give him a dose of harsh reality. 

SooHo could have told her. He chose not to for her sake, even if it meant earning a portion of her trust back. That action has to weigh more than placing himself between her and Gyeokchan every chance he gets, or even more than shielding her from stray bullets. Why? Because someone with a sharp tongue and talent for weaving stories could easily paint his more physically protective actions as a way to manipulate her into trusting him and viewing him under a more positive light. Withholding information that very few even know, and even fewer could confirm for Yeaongro is a completely selfless act that would be highly difficult to manipulate into something more nefarious. He is by no means perfect, but he’s trying. Genuinely trying and fighting against all the information, confusion, and even brainwashing now for mainly YeongRo’s sake. Do I think this is a healthy relationship right now? Absolutely not. Someone shoot me if they try to play it out as a completely functional healthy match. What I do think is that they have potential. The Sooho in the attic is still very much him, and in many ways I believe it would be him 24/7 if he wasn’t tied down by the iron grip of being a spy for the north. 

• Awesome 2
  • Insightful 2

She is one of the best performing doctors in a korean drama. Yoo In Na as Doctor Kang with a hidden secret in his true persona. He is currently seen on the JTBC Drama Snowdrop and streaming on the Disney Plus streaming platform.

Yoo In Na   as Doctor Kang Cheong Ya in Snowdrop drama 

:foryou:

• Love 1
  • Blob 1

Soompi Forums Awards: The best k-dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now is your chance to show your love for your favorite dramas of 2021. In the Soompi Forums Awards poll you can vote for the dramas you liked the most last year. :kiss_wink:

Which dramas will be the winners?

winner-icegif-9.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• Love 2

So much emotions in this episode. I like the way the story brings back a shared moment between YR and SH with the knock knock code. I like how that was tied into the current situation to highlight YR and SH’s connection. 

That scene at the end too... that moment their eyes meet spoke volumes. The realization that they would be parting ways.. it looked like they both didn’t want to say goodbye again.

I’m not used to seeing Yoo Inna in such a role but she does very well at playing this dual character. No one can guess she is a top agent. Is she really in love with SH though based on that one encounter of him rescuing her? I don’t know if I can believe it. Now that she has revealed her identity to the group, I wonder if this would be the start of friction between her and SH.

• Like 4

@shinkeru hopefully Dr. Kang doesn't have feelings for SuHo. A love triangle is not necessary anymore plus if Dr. Kang holds a higher rank thank SuHo, isn't it better for her to set aside her feelings (if there's any) and just focus on their mission to safely go back to the North. 

This is a nice shot of SH.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1