[Drama 2020/2021] Phoenix / The Firebird, 불새

0ly40

2 hours ago, joccu said:

well that was one twist! did not see that coming! 

more scheming. it like who´s going to outwit the other.? who is better at scheming things.

yea, it was a good twist with the chairman. this drama is definitely going off in another direction from the original. the leads are still way too unlikeable but the other characters are interesting enough to move the story forward.....

1 hour ago, O said:

SH - why so stupid, still hung up over this immature selfish woman! 

yea, it is hard to figure that one out. there are not too many dramas where you dislike the female lead this much. maybe because he thinks he is dying, he is feeling nostalgic? at this point, he feels more like a side character...

1 hour ago, O said:

and  the restaurant guy!  I feel a bit sick every time they show him with JE's mum.  He seems like a kind, upright man.  and I hate the writer for making a good person fall  in love with that wicked, haughty man. 

he is another sae hoon. think he is just lonely and so sees the mom just as a little ill-tempered. poor fella. he is going to have his heart broken as well...

• Like 3

I have no idea why these two men would fight over this stupid woman. jung min is proving to be hot headed fool. he has no idea why ji eun and sae hoon are chatting and immediately picks up a fight with sae hoon. eye roll. such an insecure man. he is going to have so much heartburn with ji eun as he has no idea how temperamental she is. so it was sae hoon who sent the videos to ji eun. it was kind of amusing to hear that he dated mi ran because he wanted someone unlike ji eun. ha! 

chairman being so shocked at the devious cunning stepmom feels a bit ironic -- he is just as manipulative as her. guess, he didn't know that it could happen to him?

• Like 3

Ji Eun continues the unsufferable lectures from 10 years ago and continues to prove me right. So basically she wants Se Hoon to endure torture for the sake because of her love from Jung Min. Jung Min did nothing wrong? Se Hoon is like Mi Ra? Se Hoon is dead to her? Good. She smiles when Jung Min texts that he will become cold and merciless but condems Se Hoon for protecting his job?

Dumb Bonnie & Fried Clyde.

• Like 3

I made the choice to drop this drama last week. Which is rare for me considering I don't really drop dramas that often. Maybe it's because of how much I enjoyed the original back when it aired in 2004, it makes it even harder for me to enjoy this remake lol.

It's more enjoyable for me to re-watch the original. I'll probably skim through a clip once in a while to see how it's going, since I'm still curious. The acting isn't too bad, but somehow the script got worse despite the writer being the same as the original. The side stories can be interesting though, so I'll see clips of that to see how that's going lol.

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

caught up on the last two episodes and wow, this drama is more like a modern day saeguk. ji eun is ambitious, manipulative and totally selfish. actually she is just like her father and jung min is just like his father. they both think that they are kind-hearted and good, eye roll. however, when it comes to business and their own needs, they will do whatever necessary to achieve their goals. no wonder they dislike sae hoon who is the total opposite of them and will not bend his code of ethics. the question is why would two people with such different sense of ethics fall in love? and now ji eun is willing to even dump jung min to achieve her ambition. woah!

stepmom continues to be fascinating. even though she revealed who she is to miran, she won't molly coddle her and tells it is as it is -- if she apologizes, miran will just throw another tauntrum. ha! so it looks likes stepmom is prepared to really give her the tough love and truth treatment which may be just what miran needs. it is interesting that stepmom isn't alone in her takeover. she sees this as a moral revenge and she seems to have other people along. who is that man in the suit helping her? was he another person hurt by chairman?

@Ayame ~ the writer is slowly dropping all pretense that this re-make is related to the original. even I loved the original but this is going in some different tangents. if the name of this drama is changed, then this would be a whole different drama with some inspiration from the original. that said, this drama is weird as the female lead is really a witch. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There's nothing to watch since the Penthouse finished, and I'm barely watching this drama. Waiting for Miss Monte Cristo, it sounds interesting. What's the next drama after this?

@Lmangla Ji Eun seems morally grey/more of a villain. I don't remember her being so cruel in the original... I've never seen a morally grey/evil female lead in a daily before.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

@Lmangla Ji Eun seems morally grey/more of a villain. I don't remember her being so cruel in the original... I've never seen a morally grey/evil female lead in a daily before.

yea, she is very morally grey/evil. I think it would be fine if she owned who she was but there were scenes where the writer seems to think we should feel sorry for her and write her as if she was candy type character. if this actress had lee yuri type talent, we might feel something but all I do is eye roll and think "what a hypocrite!". I can't stand when she acts like she has the moral high ground with sae hoon which makes no sense. why does she hate him when it was her family that treated him like dirt?

thats why I like the stepmom more because she is true to herself. weirdly she feels more like a heroine. her life was really destroyed by the chairman who was ruthless, selfish and destroyed many families due to his greed. instead of being appalled, you almost want to cheer her on...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

I think it would be fine if she owned who she was but there were scenes where the writer seems to think we should feel sorry for her and write her as if she was candy type character. if this actress had lee yuri type talent, we might feel something but all I do is eye roll and think "what a hypocrite!".

I won't lie, Hong Soo Ah is pretty talented, but it's the WRITER who's making her character so confusing. I feel like the writer should make her go "yes, I am a villain, and what about it?" I'd love to see that, and it'd be really thrilling. What's Ji Eun so ambitious for? What does she want?

• Like 3

Just now, chococarmela said:

What's Ji Eun so ambitious for? What does she want?

at this moment, ji eun says she wants to revive her father's old company back and it is supposed to sound like guilt that she failed her father. however, given how selfish and manipulative is, my read is that she wants her old rich life back and it isn't just about the company. basically her own identity where she doesn't have to bow down to others and is the boss. and reviving the company is part of that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

however, given how selfish and manipulative is, my read is that she wants her old rich life back and it isn't just about the company. basically her own identity where she doesn't have to bow down to others and is the boss. and reviving the company is part of that.

This is interesting. But why do you think she’s manipulative?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chococarmela said:

This is interesting. But why do you think she’s manipulative?

it feels like she is just a nicer, more well-behaved and polite version of miran. sae hoon seems to go for women who treat him badly, blame him for all their troubles and manipulate him and others and then cry victim. the way actress is portraying, ji eun is basically a copy of her father. just as he manipulated for his own benefit, her instinct is to also do the same.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, joccu said:

wow.  I knew that Ji Eun is selfish but did not see that she would dump Jing min to get what she want. 

@Lmangla I'm really loving the stepmom. She still the best character.

yea, I never expected her to dump him considering how she kept whining that she loves him. so it looks like it is really shallow love. plus, it looks like she has become very pragmatic. since she won't get jung min realistically, she might as well benefit and get her company back. just for knowing that she tipped off the reporter, jung min was stunned. he is going to be shocked when he finds out that she basically sold out. she really is a gold digger no? I just wish the writer would make her own it...

and yea, stepmom is the reason I am watching. after all her misery, she genuinely deserves some happiness.

• Like 2

I'm actually rooting for master mind chairman, psycho stepmother, psycho Mi Ran, and delusional Se Hoon. I hope Ji Eun is burned with the rays of a thousand suns when she finds out that the chairman killed her father.

After the preview, I hope Se Hoon stays a man of his Word because if the heart attack does not kill him, Ji Eun will do it first. And hopefully, the opening scene of episode 1 is now off the table again.  It is clear that the writer has changed into a thousand different directions.

Se Hoon should be able to relate just a little to Mi Ran.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Preview for episode 57.

and there we have it - murder attempt#1! well it is sort of murder attempt #2 if we count stepmom not giving chairman his meds and giving him a sort of stroke/coma.. but then ji eun's dad was most likely murdered perhaps? or sae hoon getting hit by someone in the earlier episodes during that labour strike... omo, rather than slaps, we are going to be counting murder attempts in this drama. hahahahaha... :sweatingbullets:

• Like 3

Jung min is one weird guy.  He still want to be with Ji eun even though he knows now some of the truth. His and Ji eun love story is really weird. I just don´t see them as a couple. Well I don't like both off them. 

• Like 4