[Drama 2020] Private Lives, 사생활

0ly40

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't get enough of Pangyo couple! I have rewatched their scenes for god knows how many times already! And the BTS are just making me crazy lol! They really look so good together. I cannot wait for episode 3 because I was so heartbroken by the end of episode 2! Thank god these BTS are quenching my thirst~

• 2 weeks later...

This drama is a bit complex and I am still trying to put the pieces together but I like it because of that. Jeong Hwan presents himself as a "private detective" in public but is actually a paid "agent/spy" working for a privately owned corporation, JK Technology. Is the corporation specializing in corporate espionage or is the corporation a technology company but has a department specifically dedicated to rooting out corporate espionage? I really don't get what the corporation is all about. In the first episodes we get to know JH as a spy whose assignment is to root out people who try to swindle money from the corporation. The general manager of the agency is also complicated as he tries to pit his agents against the other. The other character  and agent working for the same corporation and general manager is Jae Wook. His character is knotty, enigmatic and dangerous. He works for the same corporation as Jeong Hwan and was his senior and mentor. But Jae Wook has a dark side. He works with and then cons the con artist grabbing the ill gained "fruit" from the con, then sends the con artist he was working with to jail and leaves his partner who has no idea of Jae Wook's real identity, to run from the law. The result of the con that Jae Wook executed is a dead rich man and a missing ledger of laundered monies secretly deposited somewhere only the owner of the ledger knows. Cha Joo Eun grew up learning to con from her swindler and scam artist parents. Her father was one of those used by Jae Wook in his spy albeit con job. JW conned the con artist, ran with the conned money and left Cha Joo Eun's father to go to jail. Cha Joo Eun was also sent to jail. When Joo Eun was let out of jail, she met Jeong Hwan and they seem to fall in love. Yet, they don't really reveal to the other their real identities, even though they seem to really fall in love. They prepare to get married but on the day of the wedding Jeong Hwan was chased by men who wanted to do him harm. It is not yet truly revealed who those men were and why he was being chased. JH fakes a car accident and his death on the day of his wedding. He had given a stick to a friend who is a techie expert and whom he works with on his "spy/detective" projects. He has a copy on a stick of the ledger that Jae Wook has and has found JW's private "den" in a secluded forest. JE is looking for her dead fiance/husband to be and goes to the police to have the accident investigated. JW's corporate manager calls the police to stop the investigation so the police reports to JE that the car accident was merely that and nothing else. In the meantime, JE meets  the con artist partner of JW, Bok Gi who ran from the law and they shake hands on an unholy alliance to root out JW for revenge. JE also wants to find JH, her almost husband as she does not believe that he died. She was in love with him after all. Investigating the place where JH had an accident leads her to JW's hiding place. I think one of the reasons JH chose the spot for his "car accident" is because it could lead to JW's hideout. But the general manager stopped the investigation and deemed it as just a traffic accident. JH who is now in hiding as a dead person, suspects some shady business, met with the general manager to ask for direction but did not get one. With the help of his techie friend, JH followed the general manager to a private meeting. The GM is meeting with JW. Now, the suspenseful cliffhanger. I can't wait!!

In order to understand the objectives and theme of the drama, I viewed the drama again from episode 1. Episode 7 has enlightened me more to the motives and purpose of the characters and why they are in the drama as well as the involvement of GK Corp. The first episodes had defined CJE's character quite well and in episode 7, the character of KJW is clarified. KJW's character turns out to be more intriguing and stirring than that of a crooked con man. His ulterior intent is vengeance. Of all the characters, not only does he evoke fear, anger and disdain but he also draws sympathy and sorrow as well for his lost innocence. He keeps a gated property in the countryside where stands an abandoned restaurant once owned by his parents. 20 years ago, his parents were murdered while serving food to the customers eating in that restaurant because they were witness to an unholy alliance between corrupt businessmen and politicians Choi and Yoo Byung Joon. KJW was in the restaurant helping his parents but was sent by YBJ to buy cigarettes and when he returned from his errand found his parents dead. Yoo Byung Joon then falsified the investigation of the murders by saying that the couple killed each other so that the son, KJW, will inherit the insurance money. There is a harrowing scene of the young KJW crying and despairingly scrubbing the bloody floor of the restaurant. He once described himself to LJH as a rabble-rousing demagogue, an agitator and a rebel. He was recruited by GK corporation to be an undercover operative, spy and "problem solver" for GK Corporation in whatever way it takes.  GK's leaders are a part of a group of powerful and monied men who control the lives of people and therefore the country. The dead Choi was the "king" of these group as they subverted, undermined and controlled the justice department, the police, politicians, financial businesses. Choi kept a diary of the lawless doings of his enemies and friends to keep them in check and him in power, but retribution for one's actions never fails. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Choi got murdered and the operative who led the deadly process was KJW. The problem with the operation, however, was the failure of the men sent by JW to kill Choi to make it look like a suicide by hanging because they forgot to put a chair or a stand under Choi therefore made it obvious to the investigators that Choi was murdered.  The longtime mistress of Choi was said to have been the only witness to the murder of Choi and ultimately blamed for the murder. The investigation of Choi’s mistress for murder, however, was halted when her body was fished out of a river. KJW had his revenge, one down. KJW was then ordered to burn evidence but he went gung-ho and did more than he was told. It was summer and there were dry leaves and wood scattered in the forest nearby and KJW kindled those. That started a deadly fire that spread through the forests and nearby villages and neighborhoods. The fire department were unable to stop the fire and many people died. General Manager Kim was the supervisor of GK and was the one who ordered the burning and took the heat from the Choi and group. It seems he cut off KJW then and so KJW did his own looting operation of the donations of a religious group. He used Book Gi as his side kick but when the theft was discovered KJW took the money and ran to another country. Book Gi did the same and ran from the authorities but without KJW and the money. KJW abandoned her to fend for herself. Ten years later KJW reappeared and met with Kim who is now the Director at GK Corp. He told Director Kim that the fire he started devastated many lives, but he also noted that because of that fire, the heads of government were criticized for not doing enough and angry people voted in new officials mostly of the conservative party which GK Corp and Director Kim and his cohorts belonged to. KJW also offered the secret ledger of the murdered Choi which he always had in his possession and in return wanted his old job back and work for Director Kim. As there is no “king” of the group Director Kim plans to make someone a king, be the Kingmaker. The person he chose to become “king” is known to KJW, the politician eating at his parents’ restaurant and sent KJW away to buy cigarettes so there will be no witness to his murderous deed. He is Yoo Byung Joon. Because of the knowledge of that murder 20 years ago and KJW’s relationship to the murdered, Director Kim is comfortable having KJW to control Yoo once he gets confirmed as leader of the “group” but KJW is a loose uncontrollable cannon. It seems that conscience had left him 20 years ago. As for LJH, Director Kim seems to have abandoned in the limbo of “dead” when KJW appeared. He also never clarified to KJW that LJH is not dead. But both agents found out for themselves. KJW knows that LJH is not dead and LJH knows that KJW reappeared in town and is talking to the Director. KJW as agreed with Director Kim, met with Yoo the presumptive “king”, a self-serving, deceitful, corrupted, arrogant man (who does he remind me of in real time??) who thinks he still in the era of Joseon. Although he controlled himself, you can see the anger and disgust in KJW’s face.  

As for LJH, his character and history are still an enigma. Who is he and what is his real mission as a character? Perhaps the writer is keeping him under wraps for a surprise reveal later. His front cover is his private detective agency, but he works in secret for GH Corp as a spy and KJW is his mentor. Were his feelings for JE real or was it part of his cover. Was there perhaps a connection between them? Why is he protecting Book Gi from KJW? Is it because Book Gi is the one person who can testify against KJW and the wrong doings of GK Corporation? Why did he want to marry JE and introduce her to fake parents? We got background stories on JE and KJW but not for LJH. I am hoping the character of LJH will be explored more so we can relate with as well as root for him

I’m glad I gave this show a chance. I’m enjoying it now. I like the twist with Kim Jae Wook. I didn’t even begin to imagine that he had such a past. It certainly added more depth to his character. That lousy politician has it coming. To think he did such a horrible thing to Kim Jae Wook’s family. The man himself is despicable anyway with his supercilious “treat people like dirt” attitude. 

I’m glad we also learned more about Lee Jeong Hwan. I get the impression that after he received the scholarship from GK it was necessary to work for the organization. He worked hard and remained a top student to earn his scholarship. I also think he was might have been okay with what they do at first but then he began to question some of the more disturbing missions that they did. 

In a way both him and Kim Jae Wook have something in common. They are both from backgrounds that probably allowed GK to take advantage of them. I could see that when the GK Director wanted to get rid of Lee Jeong Hwan and Sophia Chung, Kim Jae Wook looked bothered but succeeded in masking his hesitance. Ultimately it seems like the GK Director is the main villain. 

I never thought Sophia Chung and Cha Joo Eun would work together but I actually like their dynamic. I hope to see them progress forward together until they achieve their goal. 

This is quite disappointing. I was hoping the character, background of LJH will be profiled, explored, developed just like KJW. KJW’s character fits his unconscionable, sociopathic tendencies. He suffered a horrifying trauma as a teen when he found his parents bloodied and murdered, then his parents blamed for their own murder and his brain and psyche somehow shifted. I was hoping LJH character’s background will be given the same exploration more deeply and appropriately. I was hoping for more of a thriller because he and KJW are involved in espionage. LJH did not check out the background of the woman he was about to marry. Anyone of the auntie ajummas could have checked that easily even without spy training.  Why does he not know or suspect that he is being recorded when he calls the Director? He works there as a spy; he had the nut KJW as his mentor yet does not have even an inkling of a suspicion that he might be recorded? He was being chased on the day he was going to be wed, his Director and direct boss has practically isolated and abandoned him and lied to him about KJW’s return and his suspicion antenna is not raised? His techie assistant is more of a spy than he is. Now he blames the woman for lying to him in the next episode’s previews. But did he not do the same? Being a spy at this time of high tech, would it have been easy for him to check her out? His techie assistant did.  

The character of Han Son, I also find interesting and entertaining. He is a boss. He chose to work with JE’s mom and watches/protects and cares for JE and respects her choices. He also knows a lot more than he is telling.

I am looking forward to seeing how KJW will take down Yoo He is hoarding a mountain of money in the basement of the restaurant? How will he use it for his revenge? 

Hi! Just wanted to drop by and say that I find this drama entertaining. Too bad ratings are so-so and this thread isn't any more active but I'm really enjoying the story so far.

I hated Kim Jae Wook and Sophia Chung in the beginning but it's interesting how I gradually warmed up to their characters. Of course I'm still rooting for Lee Jung Hwan and Cha Joo Eun but it's nice that they made us understand all main characters. 

Like @zenya22 I wish they would show us more of LJH's life.

19 hours ago, szne09 said:

Hi! Just wanted to drop by and say that I find this drama entertaining. Too bad ratings are so-so and this thread isn't any more active but I'm really enjoying the story so far.

I hated Kim Jae Wook and Sophia Chung in the beginning but it's interesting how I gradually warmed up to their characters. Of course I'm still rooting for Lee Jung Hwan and Cha Joo Eun but it's nice that they made us understand all main characters. 

Like @zenya22 I wish they would show us more of LJH's life.

@szne09 I like LJH too but I think (just my opinion) it is a mistake not to give a solid and more interesting background of LJH (I love the actor btw) who is supposed to be the protagonist. What is his purpose  in the drama, why is his character in it? I had hoped it would be more of a suspense drama like 3 Days or Two Weeks where the protagonist stumbles on a sensitive info and his way of life and his loved ones way of life is threatened and the story builds around that purpose. The emphasis is on the hero on the run who battles evil to make things right. The romance is the icing on the pudding not the pudding itself. However, it seems that the emphasis here is the icing no pudding. I wish the story would build the character of LJH. Give me a reason why I should root for him.  I like LJH but tell me who he is and his purpose in the drama. He is a guy who owns a detective agency, owes money from money-lenders, hired by GK to do dirty work, falls in love with a con girl whom he does not know is a con girl but is supposed to best private detective, and cons the con girl introducing her to fake parents, then fakes his death on the day of the wedding. HuH???? Why should I root for this character? His character and his purpose got muddied from the start of the drama. The emphasis it seems, is the romance which is the cream and no pudding. The supposed best private detective gets conned by a con girl whom he cons in return into marrying him??? 

I would root more for the drama if it clarifies LJH character as a man with a purpose. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please explain to me what they mean in the first episode by documentary and mug? There is lingo or slang in the con artist world that I don’t understand nor am able to find the definitions online because they think I’m talking about mug shot, but the character was sayin how the female has a good mug. And that the other scammer made a documentary? Though they were doing a sham church? So what does it all mean?

@zenya22 @Jillia @szne09 @celebrianna @starfangirl @partyon

Sorry to bother you guys, but it’s hard for me to follow along this show not knowing what their slang means. What do they mean by documentary and filming and scenario? I try to look it up with con artist or scammer slang in search bar, but haven’t come up with any answers and to leaving me just really confused, misunderstanding the dialogue in show.

6 minutes ago, philosophie said:

Sorry to bother you guys, but it’s hard for me to follow along this show not knowing what their slang means. What do they mean by documentary and filming and scenario? I try to look it up with con artist or scammer slang in search bar, but haven’t come up with any answers and to leaving me just really confused, misunderstanding the dialogue in show.

@philosophie I would love to help you out and answer the question, but I am unfortunately not watching this drama. :cry: 

I hope one of the other people tagged is able to help. :kiss_wink: Hopefully you are enjoying the drama!

1 hour ago, philosophie said:

If you analyze the story which is about con artists conning each other starting with corrupt politicians etc. When someone decides to write a documentary, they need to know what kind of documentary they will write, the plot, the scenario etc. So, for the con-artists to write a documentary means to write/make a plan of how to execute the scam, where, what, whom and how and record it in a film/video etc. That is what I understand when they say "documentary".

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] Private Lives, 사생활

Archived