[Drama 2020] Born Again, 본 어게인

0ly40

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, whiteclover said:

okay last set of still cuts. seriously, am getting heart attack like SB from this drama

Thanks for sharing these pictures. Our hearts already torn in pieces by this drama! And the weird thing is we still care and watch this lol. The power of Lee Soo Hyuk.

Im tired of ranting already. And while the actress did nothing wrong, i have to avoid her in a while. Seeing her makes me angry:sweatingbullets:

1 hour ago, fluffyloaf said:

I am getting a headache from the ultra rushed + ultra disappointing episode from yesterday. So botched. I have been so supportive of this drama and its writer but I think this episode really made me facepalm myself so bad. It made me wonder if the first half of the show was done by a different team or what. The first four episodes especially were so on point. Meh in the middle. And horrendous since last week.

Like when HE/SB saw the bookstore uncle and said she recognised him, I was like dude, even CST and HM looks vastly different now. How could you still recognise the uncle without realising you are many many many years ahead already and the uncle has aged so much? *facepalm* Could tell that the episode was going to fail me after that scene. 

And seriously, they are just going to throw out the whole idea of "one killed and one painted"?! I am so furious. Like you can screw up the romance for all I care but how could you also screw up the mystery aspect which was the key of the show right?!?! Dudeeeee c'mon. Seriously GIW painted and GIW killed?! I don't know man. So sloppily wrapped up. And who took all those photos of him especially the one from 2008? And how did he commit another two Yellow Umbrella case without anybody realising the similarity of the modus operandi?? Just so you can conveniently wrap it up with a predictable arrest of GIW??? This is going to be such a lame ending if it just ends there. Seriously. Lame.

And when y'all said STH's scene was bad I did not expect it to be so cringe worthy. It was seriously bad. Like three guys being super lame together. Especially when STH tried to lecture SH about what he did to the family members of those people. That was so out of character of STH especially when he came to kill SH. Why would he have "lecture" materials prepared right? Why would he even bother finding out about what happened to those people's family members? Totally does not make sense. The dialogues were running so quick as well, the edits were so rushed.

The romance between all three of them is getting out of hand sappy. I can't. I don't know where to even start my comments about this so I will just give up on this aspect entirely. Just kill JB please.

I feel so furious because all three leads are doing such a good job with their acting (even up to this episode) and it feels like it was all wasted. It all started off so well put together, what is this ridiculous mess we are getting especially since last week's episodes up to now. Ugh. I am so angry and we are left with one episode which I don't think the writer can address the problems with just one last episode.

Well at least the OST, DOP and styling of the set and characters I can still appreciate out of all the other nonsense. *tries to look on the bright side* I feel so sad that a drama with so much potential ended this way (because I don't think I can expect much out of the last episode). *cries*

I agree with you that the 3 leads are doing a wonderful job.  Think when they sign up for the drama, the script they read was just the initial episodes.  However towards the last few episodes the script was messy, morally and socially wrong when the writer decided to make the Professor and student go on date, hug and kissed each other which in today society will be outcast and ostracised.  Even the 2 adopted uncles are mad beyond understanding. They don’t add any value to the drama.  Guess the 3 leads didnt know that the later episodes were so screwed. They can’t back down but to continue to put in their best effort to deliver.  If I were KBS, it would be wise to  shorten the drama just like the drama “A Piece Of Your Mind” from 16 episodes to 12.  The rating was just as bad as BA.  The writer should go back to the drawing board and analyse where she did wrong and how not to make another screwed up script.  I really feel sorry to JSY, JKY and LSH whom I am sure did not expect such a rotten deal. 

The OSTs were first class though and I enjoy listening to it.

10 minutes ago, nitttss said:

the weird thing is we still care and watch this lol. The power of Lee Soo Hyuk.

The power of Soo Hyuk indeed, he can even make me cried just from looking his pictures :bawling:  my heart is broken into little pieces seeing him keep suffering like this, please Drama God, have mercy on him & us viewers :tears: 

CGh9yiG.jpg

18 minutes ago, Kimat said:

I agree with you that the 3 leads are doing a wonderful job.  Think when they sign up for the drama, the script they read was just the initial episodes.  However towards the last few episodes the script was messy, morally and socially wrong that they decided to make the Professor and student go on date, hug and kissed each other which in today society will be outcast and ostracised.  Even the 2 adopted uncles are mad beyond understanding. They don’t add any value to the drama.  Guess the 3 leads didnt know that the later episodes were so screwed. They can’t back down but to continue to put in their best effort to deliver.  If I were KBS, it would be wise to  shorten the drama just like the drama “A Piece Of Your Mind” from 16 episodes to 12.  The rating was just as bad as BA.  The writer should go back to the drawing board and analyse where she did wrong and how not to make another screwed up script.  I really feel sorry to JSY, JKY and LSH whom I am sure did not expect such a rotten deal. 

The OSTs were first class though and I enjoy listening to it.

Yeah I am seriously considering to write in to KBS and ask about what nonsense are they spewing out to us? If tonight's episode really hits rock bottom, I will make sure to draft a 10 page long essay on the plot holes (and all other kinds of holes) of BA to KBS even if it falls into spam mail.

I pity YG (maybe I should write to them too) for offering two good actors from them and then this happened. I know LSH is sad but I am angry for JKY who is about to enlist. Like this show surely added a lot of LSH fans (despite the show being a horrendous wreck) but I think it deducted a lot of JKY fans as well (initially I thought he can be hateable as long as they end it well, but no now he is just hateable full stop). And JKY upon completing his time at the military and returning, I think nobody would remember him or perhaps would like to avoid their horrible memory of JB/JC. The first four episodes made me followed the guy and now they just combusted his character into a million pieces.

Frustrated and bummed out. I can't be a functional adult for the rest of this week.

Lol i come upon this clip in my instagram. Look at what her uncle said when she tells him she confuse between 2 man. "There's moral and loyalty to be kept". Omg for once the uncle said the right thing im proud of him:rolleyes:

5 hours left to end this frustation guys! I hope i wont get depressed too much after that *fingercrossed

36 minutes ago, nitttss said:

Lol i come upon this clip in my instagram. Look at what her uncle said when she tells him she confuse between 2 man. "There's moral and loyalty to be kept".

So both writer & director know their fault but they keep proceed it anyway? Heh <_<

Omg for once the uncle said the right thing im proud of him:rolleyes:

Yes ha3, not even once I liked the uncles until he said that, they're just never been funny & imo just a wasted of screentime.

5 hours left to end this frustation guys! I hope i wont get depressed too much after that *fingercrossed

Truee, I hope our hearts won't be too much scattered to collect later after this drama ended :heartbreak:

I'd probably need to prepare something sweet to eat later too, to console myself during watching the ep :sweatingbullets:

6 minutes ago, Plummpychan said:

So both writer & director know their fault but they keep proceed it anyway? Heh <_<

Yes ha3, not even once I liked the uncles until he said that, they're just never been funny & imo just a wasted of screentime.

Truee, I hope our heart won't be too much scattered to collect later after this drama ended :heartbreak:

I'd probably need to prepare something sweet to eat later too, to console myself during watching the ep :sweatingbullets:

Those uncles exist for JB. So that he can get close to SB! Dont forget everyone in this drama supposed to serve him:crazy:

Im so frustated yesterday i cant even watch runningman properly. Had to stop in the middle bcs i cant digest it:sweatingbullets:

6 hours ago, raziela said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on why you ship JB x SB. It's very well-written and thoughtful.

Yes, this drama is so stressful to watch.  At least we have all endured these two months somehow! The story is tragic all round so it's a very heartbreaking drama no matter who you ship. That's why my main ship is all three characters x happiness!:D

Thank you for your words and for your kindness, not just with this post, but in general, you seem very supportive, respectful and try to stay positive. :heart:

5 hours ago, whiteclover said:

well ... 

Those pictures are bad news for anybody that wants JB to remain alive. It looks like SB is in a hospital gown, but it's JB that is sitting on the bed in a clearly panicky state.I think giving his heart to her happening.

1 hour ago, Suibian said:

Whatever majority like sh/hb. I love jb/jc character more than other characters here. I just what happy ending for him.

You are not alone, plenty of people want a happy end for him. Even some of formalin couple shippers want that too.

1 hour ago, fluffyloaf said:

Like this show surely added a lot of LSH fans (despite the show being a horrendous wreck) but I think it deducted a lot of JKY fans as well (initially I thought he can be hateable as long as they end it well, but no now he is just hateable full stop). And JKY upon completing his time at the military and returning, I think nobody would remember him or perhaps would like to avoid their horrible memory of JB/JC. 

Well I cannot talk for everybody, but after this drama JKY has definitely gained at least one more fan in me. I actually like and sympathize with his character till this day. I might not be the biggest fan of the drama(I don't hate it like most either, seen way worse), but I will remember his character as one of my favorite in the drama world, even if he broke my heart with his pain on so many occasions. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be curious to find out what does the Korean audience think about JB/JC, because they are the ones that matter the most when it comes to JKY's career. Does anybody have a link to some Korean message board? I was trying to read stuff online, but those were scattered messages and didn't paint the full picture. 

2 hours ago, fluffyloaf said:

And JKY upon completing his time at the military and returning, I think nobody would remember him or perhaps would like to avoid their horrible memory of JB/JC. T

Don't worry, please :). The true acting, the true movie, the individualists are never forgotten :D. There is an audience - the most important factor :) supporting JKY

@Plummpychan"...So both writer & director know their fault but they keep proceed it anyway? Heh ..."

...and they should go to military...instead of JKY..why not?

Or..it will be North and South Korea Union and the end of the mandatory military service?

and about LSY via Wikipedia:

"...On August 10, 2017 Lee began his mandatory military service. After the basic military training he will continue his service as a public service officer for two years..."

First of all, I am a fan of both JKY and LSH but a bit more to the first one as seeing his impressive acting from few series in the past years. (But, again, I found LSH is getting to be very good in this Born Again)

Anyway, here is my take: 

It looks to me that Ha Eun and Sa Bin are different persons with different personalities. It is only there is some memory/trace of Ha Eun still within Sa Bin. So she gets fluttered by SH. And at the same time, as Sa Bin, she likes and more attach to JB/JC. As a conclusion, she gets confused .. and we also get confused ... LOL

Personality wise, Ha Eun was more to a sweet and kind lady (she like reading novels/books) while Sa Bin is stronger and independent (she is in scientific field of work). Come to think about this, this might probably why only Sa Bin does not have shadow/past self among the three on the initial promotion poster. 

As the story goes, I do not hate anyone even the writer even though in my  opinion he/she is not very good as he/she has got everything intertwined probably with intention to make the story interesting and for viewer to be curious and follow. However, it back fire a bit as almost till the end, there are still unclear/reasonable answers to all the things that had happened. I am looking forward to the last episode tonight and also curious to know what SH will confess .. fingers crossed!

Ah..by the way, JKY is multi-talents actor and has many fans.  They will still be waiting to see him act/perform after he discharged from the military :P

15 hours ago, PeVe said:

Totally washer - BLWL = Beautiful love Wonderful life - Why? Because it is the best drama without wooden acting. The plot - school bulling - just only some minutes and unexpaected consequences among adults. in 100 episodes :D

Haha, I totally hated that show!  And I felt the change in 2nd couple was almost as bad as in this show.  Just shows everyone has different tastes...

23 minutes ago, D27Gjk68 said:

Haha, I totally hated that show!

The best answer! - because the forum full of positive opinions could/would be suspicious, don't you think so?  All points of view are very precious:)

Greetings:)

1 hour ago, Dreamon said:

Ah..by the way, JKY is multi-talents actor and has many fans.  They will still be waiting to see him act/perform after he discharged from the military

or...the chance  -> "..On June 28, 2018, the South Korean Constitutional Court ruled the Military Service Act unconstitutional and ordered the government to accommodate civilian forms of military service for conscientious objectors.Later that year on November 1, 2018, the South Korean Supreme Court legalized conscientious objection as a basis for rejecting compulsory military service...." the source Wikipedia :)

50 minutes ago, D27Gjk68 said:

Haha, I totally hated that show!  And I felt the change in 2nd couple was almost as bad as in this show.  Just shows everyone has different tastes...

Lol, same, Born Again writer is the 2nd writer I put on my blacklist, well because the 1st one is Beautiful Love Wonderful Life writer-nim.

Coincidentally or not, both are from KBS :sweatingbullets:.

And it's basically for almost the same reason, the show changing its direction at the later part of the drama & I feel cheated for investing my time on the wrong couple they developed at the first place & how they dragged their love triangle for a freakin' 100 EPISODES :joy:. Apparently Mr nice guy always gets dumped later no matter if the girl has her heart flutter for him & he always do his best for her sake, caring, supporting, protecting, etc (see the similiarity with BA? :phew:)

Actually I was planning to watch the following drama of BA, Men are Men (The Guy is That Guy), been waiting for its released.

But they had love triangle theme & being on kbs, I hope I'm not signing up for another disaster drama :sweat_smile:

21 minutes ago, Plummpychan said:

Lol, same, Born Again writer is the 2nd writer I put on my blacklist, well because the 1st one is Beautiful Love Wonderful Life writer-nim.

Coincidentally or not, both are from KBS

Oh! You mean script at first :) right...what about scenography, acting, frames...it makes for me, modest person to tell it is a very good drama:)...

If KDramas are  pressed by watchers the effects will be like we see...till now we must delect of this KDramas chamring,  specific one :)

I do feel a bit sorry for the writer because I suspect the low ratings meant that she was told at short notice she had to rewrite parts of the story to try and get the ratings up.  She is a rookie and coupled with the live shooting schedule (sometimes they were filming scenes barely two days ahead of airing) they were just rushing to try to get things done in time and that hurt the quality of the story.

8 hours ago, yusefull said:

Hi, silent reader on this thread. I have to admit that I stop watching this drama for a while but I follow this forum (I love this forum).

Spoiler

I have to admit that I am so disapointed by what I believe this drama could have been more than by the romance.

I would have love if they did something like :

- 1 or 2 episodes more in the past with them showing us more off HE and HB happy togethher, never showing us JC killing anybody but making us believe he did. Then they die together in the snow but nobody find the corpse.

-In the present, SH (still being the same type of prosecutor) in love with a good SA and planning to get married too. We also habe SB together and truly happy with JB. JB still has is bad family and all but let go of all because of SB and is truly happy and good.

-SH and SB meet and form some kind of kindship and trust but nothing more (they are both happy in a relationship).

-Then a killer like JC was reappears and they investigate it. After 4-6 episodes at least after the begining of the present, SH and SB found their old body and remember everything.

-At that point it would be for both of them to have to choice between behing their past self or the person they are now. For SH to want to be with a SA with who he always been happy or a SB that he promised eternal love. For SB it's more complicated because while she is truly happy with JB, she know he was JC before.

-They both at first try to make sure JB don't remember anything but at some point he see something (like JC body) and faint.

-While in his in the hospital, to protect SB, SH kill JB.

-Then, while investigating the new JC, they found tha JC was innocentand it's father was the true murderer.

-At some point SB realise it's not her second life but a third one. In the first one, she and JB died together and promise to find each other in the next life. JC found HE but realising he can't never be with her, he decide to die and give her his heart so he can be with her another way.

Unlike now, where as soon JB and SH remember their past, it would have been about choising with person they were (they would have been as mutch the past self than the present one). SB an SH would have the choice while SH would have been robing JB of his.

P.S. : Sorry for the long post and the spelling, it's been a while since I have written in english

Welcome to the thread!  :smiley: I like hearing your suggestions.  My ideas aren't as detailed as yours  but I have been thinking about how I would have written things differently. I wouldn't have extended the 80s opening episodes for two reasons: 1)they are just too dark and likely turned off some of the audience.  Even when I have gone back to watch parts of eps 1-2 I find it very hard to rewatch JC's scene because they are just so grim:( 2)backstory episodes don't usually get good ratings as the audience want to get to the current characters quickly so I can understand KBS limiting it to just two episodes.  Or maybe they could have focused on the modern characters during the first four episodes so we get to know them AND interspersing the 80s scenes during those episodes too?

I would have had the trio remember their original selves much, much sooner-probably the third week. I would still have had SB and SH butt heads because bickering and sexual tension is fun (:lol:)  I would have dropped the whole JB the psychopath storyline and his bizarre family because it didn't add anything to the story and making SB-JB student-teacher was also pointless.  Maybe have had JB be a good person deep down with a less than ideal home life (though not as horrific as JC:tears:) who has accidentally fallen in with the wrong crowd (STH's gang) because they provide a type of family.  He might be involved in some petty crimes but nothing serious.  That way the story introduces a relationship and bond with STH earlier and explains why SH distrusts him. JB meets SB somehow and she realises he isn't a bad person deep down and she tries to encourage him to do better and he falls in love with her 

Throughout the drama it felt like they were trying to cram in too many different storylines, characters, ideas, genres  and it just didn't work so I would have shaved the story right down to their reincarnation/love triangle, the original and copycat yellow umbrella umbrellas mystery and unravelling the mystery of what happened to HB, HE and JC after the snowy mountain scene. This drama had so much potential in terms of story and characters.  It was just let down by the writing and execution.

8 hours ago, fluffyloaf said:

Well at least the OST, DOP and styling of the set and characters I can still appreciate out of all the other nonsense. *tries to look on the bright side* I feel so sad that a drama with so much potential ended this way (because I don't think I can expect much out of the last episode). *cries*

Yes!  I give a lot of credit to the OST, cinematography, styling and production design.  The production team on this drama have done a great job at making the drama look and sound good.  They deserve a lot of credit.

8 hours ago, emmaleigh said:

Ditto! I too can’t comprehend why on earth WriterNim so biased to JB’s character and butchered everyone else ( HE/SB & HB/SH ) to appease his storyline or arch. Not buying whatever WriterNim pitching or preaching! :angry: Why is everyone apologizing to JB like he was some saint? He was a killer in the past, and in the present he made several murder attempts but let’s just overlook this b/c WriterNim says so  :phew:. Selective to the upmost! My stomach was turning inside out when SB ran to JB and tenderly embracing him while apologizing for misunderstanding him in the past and how he’s always been the one to protect her? Is HB/SH chop liver? Did she forgotten how HB was stabbed to death in front of her? I can’t with SB any longer! 

This is how I feel.  I have a lot of empathy for the character and wanted to see JC/JB redeemed and forgiven but I also wasn't expecting the writer to just whitewash and wave away some of the mistakes and choices his character made.

4 hours ago, MVM said:
Spoiler

Thank you for your words and for your kindness, not just with this post, but in general, you seem very supportive, respectful and try to stay positive. :heart:

Those pictures are bad news for anybody that wants JB to remain alive. It looks like SB is in a hospital gown, but it's JB that is sitting on the bed in a clearly panicky state.I think giving his heart to her happening.

You are not alone, plenty of people want a happy end for him. Even some of formalin couple shippers want that too.

Well I cannot talk for everybody, but after this drama JKY has definitely gained at least one more fan in me. I actually like and sympathize with his character till this day. I might not be the biggest fan of the drama(I don't hate it like most either, seen way worse), but I will remember his character as one of my favorite in the drama world, even if he broke my heart with his pain on so many occasions. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be curious to find out what does the Korean audience think about JB/JC, because they are the ones that matter the most when it comes to JKY's career. Does anybody have a link to some Korean message board? I was trying to read stuff online, but those were scattered messages and didn't paint the full picture. 

Thanks so much your kind words @MVM:blush:  I always look forward to reading your insightful and articulate posts too:heart:

For Korean message boards I sometimes have a look at the drama DC Gall message board and Naver has a Talk section where people live chat. Despite the drama's low ratings the Naver Talk and message board are surprisingly active-especially the Naver talk room. Links in the spoiler bar:)

This drama has really stressed all of us out too much:lol: I don't know why but I am nervous for this last episode.  I'm going to disappear now so I don't spoil myself until the subtitles are out this evening:ph34r:

Archived