[Drama 2019-2020] Black Dog, 블랙독

larus

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[HanCinema's News] "Black Dog" Evokes "Incomplete Life" in Execution

posterphoto1136645.jpg

The latest drama from tvN, "Black Dog", has been a bit of a sleeper in the current ratings environment. But especially compared with tvN's overall lackluster year, the low profile drama about a teacher's life in the backrooms with a more functional focus on students has been gaining a following. The latest episode hit ratings of 4.3%, which is more than "Incomplete Life" had in its fourth episode.

Full: https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-black-dog-evokes-incomplete-life-in-execution-137164.html

Written by William Schwartz

There's this background story of our writer. Seems like she was a teacher for 3 years before? And this drama rumoured to be known along high school teachers there? Anyone understands Korean?^^ 

https://n.news.naver.com/article/001/0011302993

Wow a lot of responses. I meant to write something last week but didn't get around to do it. And now it's almost time for the new episodes. I just found some opinions about the 6 year short term teacher and whoever posted it on the internet board weird from my perspective.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:00 AM, htk9207 said:

About Mr. Moon, I know why he's trying to get the IP address but I wish he tell the principal about it.  It involves the integrity of the school so it is reason enough to catch who is spreading that kind rumor which could affect the entire school and staff.

You realize he is just doing it to cover up his mess? He is spying on people and probably tries to get rid of the one who reported the corruption. I highly doubt any of what he is doing is legal. If anyone is violating the integrity of the school it's him. And it seems like he is conflicted about Ha Neul. Everytime there is talk about how she might be a candidate for the upcoming spot he looks super worried. He might even try to sabotage her chance to get that spot because if she gets it it brings more attention to how she got the job in the first place. I have very little sympathies for him. It's actually fun to see him run around in panic.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:00 AM, htk9207 said:

But if it is really him, then he isn't doing the school any good since he's spreading malicious gossip. The school is already unpopular with the parents as it is. And purposefully making Ha Neul the object of hate not just by the other short term teachers but by permanent staff as well. How else did she got stuck with Kim Yi Boon as course partner.

He writing about corruption at school (which is true btw). I don't know how whether the school is popular with the parents or not has anything to do it. The rumors started when she had her job interview with the 2 other short term teachers. 

On 12/26/2019 at 1:46 PM, htk9207 said:

I hope he isn't the one slandering the school. Because if he is, he doesn't deserve to be promoted.

What? Slandering the school? I am with you when it comes to the bullying against Ha Neul. But i don't get where your "Oh no the good name of the school is getting smeared. Let's spy on the employees and get rid of everyone who is not in line" comes from.

@Fabbo

I know that asking for the IP address is an invasion of privacy which is why I felt that Mr. Moon should let the Principal know about the online forum since a reporter had taken interest on the post.

The reason I used the term slander is because whenever the term corruption comes up what it meant to me is there would be dishonest conduct, typically involving money and bribery. 

So I felt that there was no form of corruption since Ha Neul never bribed any member of the school committee.

With regards to nepotism, she is unfortunately related to Teacher Moon, though we all know she had absolute no idea when she came in for an interview.  I felt that if she really failed that interview that day, she would certainly not get the position. Even Mrs. Park felt she was the best fit.

There would be grounds for nepotism if Ha Neul is not even qualified to teach, is slacking off in her job and is receiving special treatment. Or if during the interview only Teacher Moon was there with the Principal. 

But he wasn't even there. He even told Ha Neul he had nothing to do with hiring short term teachers. I believe him. She wasn't even close to him. They're like strangers. And the show hasn't explained why yet.

Regarding Teacher Moon's actions I am not defending his actions. I meant I understand why he is worried. Understanding doesn't meant I am condoning his actions. He only started to suspect the 6 year short term teacher being the one who is posting online. He isn't spying on everyone. 

I thought she mentioned Mr Moon's name in her application after her mom recommended it and the principal and his staff were like "Oh she is Mr Moon's niece..". There wasn't any explicit arrangement nessecary. They pretty much did him an unasked favor. And it might have already started with the selection process from the over 100 applications. 

3 hours ago, htk9207 said:

Regarding Teacher Moon's actions I am not defending his actions. I meant I understand why he is worried. Understanding doesn't meant I am condoning his actions. He only started to suspect the 6 year short term teacher being the one who is posting online. He isn't spying on everyone. 

He ran back to the school trying to catch the one who posted on the online board. Nothing he is doing is in his job description. You are absolutely right if he wanted to do it the proper way he should inform the principal and they can investigate whether the hiring of Ha Neul was legit and adress the rumors. What would happen though is they would track down the one, fire him and go on their way.

About the one writing on the short teacher`s forum. I don`t understand his actions. Is he a journalist who wants to discover corruption in the school? If he is why giving gossips? He/she absoluting implided that Ha Neul was hired because of nepotism. He has proved of that? Because if he doesn`t and it is just his impression, he is doing a disservice to a young and talented teacher who just started her career.

I hate gossips. There are other way to fight corruption. Is he just trying to make others to say what they know? Right now, I doubt his ethics as a journalist. Maybe there are stories to tell but I hate the investigation throught gossips. It is one thing to listen to gossips to gather information to start investigation and other to write them on internet for everyone to see.

I am on a fence about Mr Moon as well. For asking about IP adresses was out of line and of course, he did not succeed. I don`t know why he is so desperate to find the spy. He did something to be ashamed? He put a good word for Ha Neul?  He knows about the corruption is the school? I know he aims to be the principal. It will be interesting to watch  him more closely.

Today another episode.

1VS9X0PEH1_1.jpg

https://m.sedaily.com/NewsView/1VS9X0PEH1#_enliple

9 hours ago, shjfan23 said:

Is Black Dog the only drama that resume its broadcast for this week?

Yes. It got 5.483% in the ratings. It's highest thus far and hopefully a whole bunch of new viewers before Dr. Romantic begins next week.

16 hours ago, Fabbo said:

I thought she mentioned Mr Moon's name in her application after her mom recommended it and the principal and his staff were like "Oh she is Mr Moon's niece..". There wasn't any explicit arrangement nessecary. They pretty much did him an unasked favor. And it might have already started with the selection process from the over 100 applications. 

I'm not sure she mentioned uncle thing in the application. She didn't like it when her mother suggested she write that her uncle was a teacher and didn't even know he was working there (or even what he looked like). I think from her side, she had no idea. 

Ep 5 was lovely. Teared up when Ha Neul was given the note from Ji Sun and how she has the older teacher on her side. I love how they are slowly expanding for the viewers the depth of the role of teachers for the viewers.

1 hour ago, randomthotz said:

Yes. It got 5.483% in the ratings. It's highest thus far and hopefully a whole bunch of new viewers before Dr. Romantic begins next week.

Thanks! Just saw the ratings. Romantic Doctor had a special episode last night.

4 hours ago, randomthotz said:

I'm not sure she mentioned uncle thing in the application. She didn't like it when her mother suggested she write that her uncle was a teacher and didn't even know he was working there (or even what he looked like). I think from her side, she had no idea. 

Just swinging by to reply this based on what I understand.

Haneul's mom did talk to Mr Moon which is her brother. However, Haneul didn't like the idea to be hired through her connection. While she is aware that her uncle is a teacher/staff member, she did not know where exactly he works. They barely knew each other and only met during family celebration/holidays. When checking the short term teacher forum after the interview, she read the post that someone will be picked through connection.  Sensing that there is probability it is about her since her mom did say things to her uncle, she tried to check the school member directory but it is not available through public. Hence, she did not know that her uncle works there.

The other teachers saw her resume that has her parents' name. Her mom surname is Moon. I guess the surname Moon is quite uncommon plus the rumor that someone picked through connection was flying around, the teachers just put it two together. That's how people conclude that she is Mr Moon's niece.

I personally don't believe that Mr Moon helped her because it can be seen that he is ambitious. He would not do anything that may jeopardise his chance to be the principal. Which is why he is desperately searching for the poster.

Just my two cents though. :glasses: 

Black Dog still at #4 for last week’s buzzworthy survey:

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz this past week are as follows:

1. tvN “Crash Landing on You” – 27.14 percent
  2. SBS “Stove League” – 21.4 percent
  3. SBS “VIP” – 12 percent
  4. tvN “Black Dog” – 6.25 percent
  5. KBS2 “Woman of 9.9 Billion” – 4.68 percent
  6. JTBC “War of Prosecutors” – 4.07 percent
  7. JTBC “Chocolate” – 3.74 percent
  8. tvN “Psychopath Diary” – 3.35 percent
  9. MBC “Love with Flaws” – 2.89 percent
  10. KBS2 “Beautiful Love Wonderful Life” – 2.01

I can`t believe Song Young-Tae just proposed Ha-Neul to take the advanced class just to please Moon Soo-Ho. Such an oportunist! 

Now there will be more tention between Ha Neul and Ji Hae-Won . Ju Hae Won wants to take the class and now he sees another oportunity taking away from him. I could see how he could feel work jelousy but I still don`t like him. In this episode, I see him clearly. I will watch him clearly. Maybe I am judging wrong. Just like Park Sung-Soon advised Ha Neul to "not do things like voluntary servitude", she advised Ji Hae Won too.  Once a teacher starts doing things for others to see they lose his/her original purpose. Let see witch one of the two young teachers are putting students as priority not pursue only their goal.

Park Sung-Soon carres so much for her students and school and it is so stressful for her. Her husband is right that she needs to cares more for her son also. She is the type  who puts so much heart on her job, that she is neglacting a little her personal life. It will be better for her to not care so much for others and put her interests first but that`s how she is. I wish she will succeed to change a little for the better Daechi school. Ha Neul is like her and that`s why Park Sung Soon likes her.

Another important scene was when Ha Neul`s mother talked about ranking woman`s professions for prospects of marriage. "That is the reality in Korea" she said when Ha Neul`s father asked why they are they rank anyway. That is the sad reality. From what I watch in dramas, it is very stressful to work in South Korea.

1 hour ago, larus said:

I can`t believe Song Young-Tae just proposed Ha-Neul to take the advanced class just to please Moon Soo-Ho. Such an oportunist! 

I felt the same way. He doesn't care that it puts Ha Neul in a bad position. She is a new staff and despite her eagerness to do well,  I think there would be serious consequence if she leads the advance class. Even if she does well, if the parents get hold of the fact that she's a short-term staff member, they would question the school for assigning a newbie teacher for a very important class. 

Just look at that event they went to in episode 4. The presenter for Daechi was Hae Won and a lot of the parents left without even listening at what he has to say. Hae Won was put on spot, when one of the remaining parents ask about the Daechi's low acceptance rates into top schools.  Mrs. Park, being a seasoned pro, had to take the microphone to win the interest of the parents. 

It also reminds me of when Ha Neul was asked by a notorious parent in episode 2 if she would still be there next year. Ha Neul was literally frozen and didn't know how to answer properly without resorting to lying.

What more if she is facing a crowd of angry parents demanding an answer as to why she's teaching the advance class when she's a newly hired teacher. It doesn't matter if she's bright and highly capable. I can already imagine the backlash. 

I haven't watch episode 6 yet but this is really a big problem. 

Things are getting more interesting. I love this drama.

A few thoughts after watching episode 6.

I really like how Ha Neul told the Advisory Group that someone has to tell the inconvenient truth and without that, things can`t be corected at Daechi school. I was cheering Sung-Soon to stay strong in front of the teachers and to tell what she wanted to say.

I love the camaradery between Advisory group members. I was surprised to see that Ji Hae-Won was suported so much by them in the past. I wonder what happened that things changed.

I also understand why Do Yeon-Woo and Kim Yi-Boon said to Ha Neul to let the other colleagues resolve their own problems and not intervene but I am so glad Ha Neul is that young and bold person who can`t accept an injustice/ something that is not correct. There are lot of good people in this world who became jaded as they gain more experience. They reached the conclusion that they can`t chance the world and became part of the system or at least don`t interfere if they are not directly involved. It is good that there are some idealistic people who can challenge them.  It is important to adapt to the system but to chance something that is not working properly too. I can`t wait to see Ha Neul`s journey, what she will do next with this new challenge. 

I hold my breath for a moment when I saw Yoon Yeo-Hwa looking at her early retirement aplication. I bet that for a moment she thought she might change her mind after the teacher`s meeting. Maybe she thought there is a little hope that things will change in the right direction.

I also liked that we saw a little more of Ji Hae-Won. I hope things are not black and white with him.  I hope he will grow as a character as well. It will be interesting to watch Ha Neul and Hae won`s silent competition.  I like how she said in the preview that It is not about who came first, but what matter the most is the ability of a person.

I am glad that Moon Soo-Ho is adressing the rumor situation.

More things to watch in the upcoming episodes. YAY!

Black Dog: Episode 4

by selena

BD04-00010.jpg

Our heroine may have to come to terms with the fact that there might be a difference between short-term and permanent teachers after all. Though things don’t look to be in her favor, she now has people who will encourage and back her up. That goal of finding her place may not be too far off now.

EPISODE 4 RECAP

BD04-00002.jpg

We meet Sung-soon as a high school senior in 1994, just as a new president was sworn into office and the CSAT was introduced for the first time. She eeny-meeny-miny-moe’d her way through her mock math exam, confused and strapped for time. Heh, her facial expressions are priceless.

Sung-soon’s teacher could only apologize and say, “Let’s rely on luck tomorrow. I love you guys,” as the class collectively sighed. She narrates that it was the hardest CSAT to date, leaving everybody in tears…except for her.

The College Advisory Department are all dressed up and arrive at a hotel. Yeon-woo and Haneul are invested in the story, guessing that Sung-soon didn’t cry because she did well…but nope, she’d bombed it.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/12/black-dog-episode-4/

Archived