[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Go Ahead 以家人之名

Lynne

I don't understand the hate for the LX character. Is it because of the actor or because of the character? I personally like the character, it's very human. It's flawed, just like an ordinary guy who's put under such circumstances. Is it because he does not want to go  back to his Mother? I understand that in some countries filial piety and putting parents first is a given, but after what she did to him, I also understand why LX is guarding against her. She is manipulative and self-serving! 

I'm guessing some critics find a flawed male lead very confusing. The story deals with a lot of issues which are taboo to be spoken of outside of the family but these can happen. Parents these days can be self-serving and too bossy in their kids lives. I just want to point out that mental health issues often arise when the kids try to cope with their parents demands.Maybe some people find the reality of the situations too much and they cannot deal with the internal issues of a family being aired. I get that, too, but these kinds of shows are put out there to deal with issues that are surfacing all over the world, across different countries and cultures. 

If it is the actor that critics are bothered with, then I find it unfair that some people have praised him for being a "self-made" man and yet others are hurtful to the point that they think he owes them something. SWL is just in his early twenties and he has garnered a lot of attention for his good looks and promising acting. Did the critics expect a person this age to be good at acting straight out of being discovered? Looks are always a priority when you are scouted. Skills can be taught and learned. I personally think he acts fairly well, given that his character is the silent emo type who plans things out in advance. It does not hurt that he is attractive, too. "Wooden" is part of the character of LX, he does not give affection easily because he was hurt when his Mom left him. 

I never thought I had to defend LX character or SWL but I feel such injustice for both. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Why everyone is hating my baby boy LX? :( he's awesome.

Everyone in that drama is AWESOME. 

ZQ, LX and JJ are THE BEST. Their character will be in my heart forever, and for sure, I'll watch this drama more than once. 

I hope all of them have a good ending, specially ZQ, please :( 

• Like 3

I know we all don't like LX mom but Ling dad has a big part of the reason she never got better maybe its because of Chinese culture not taking mental health more seriously and throwing it under the rug when LX went to the Chinese doctor he told Ling dad LX need to see a psychologist but Ling dad heard none of it and kept telling him my son has no problem not saying it justifies everything LX mom did but if she got help maybe she wouldn't be as crazy as she is After LX and Ling dad were in the car he just told LX that he could talk to JJ dad JJ or him if he had anything he problem he needed to talk out this pissed me off he already had experience with LX mom this doesn't work he needs professional help when I saw this clip yesterday I thought too positively and thought Ling dad was going to take LX to get help instead now I think he might be one of the roadblock that LX needs to get through to get help

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Hahaha ... can't wait for tomorrow's episode.  Li papa reaction to LX-JJ couplehood is funny to watch.   This drama really makes me laugh n cry. It has a nice mix and they don't drag story. It's a nice change.

What were the previews saying? 

I don’t understand why JJ’s posting became viral in the internet, i mean usually people post something personal in private page with close member right.

I think JJ should tell her dad about ZQ’s problem, i mean LHC was definitely ZQ’s weakness. 

The last scene was quite sad, but LX’s over dependency on JJ would be unhealthy for long term relationship. 

I’m curious on how they will resolve ZQ and LX’s issues

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jessica somerhalder said:

Really random but whaat do you guys think of TC and ZQ becoming a couple? I personally love it. They actually have a lot of things in common.

YASSSS!!!!!

The thing I am most looking forward too, the writers better not let me down this time. After she stated she would pick ZQ over LX and how eagerly she was trying to listen in on MY and JJ talking about how his cafe is not doing so well, they are definitely hinting at things to come. Crossing my fingers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jessica somerhalder said:

Really random but whaat do you guys think of TC and ZQ becoming a couple? I personally love it. They actually have a lot of things in common.

I’m hoping it happens they would make a great couple but I have a feeling they will stick with him and MY 

• Like 1

I'm super sad that Ling Papa ignore doctor's advise to bring LX to see a psychologist. I thought he would be very concern and heed doc advice. Ling Papa has been in denial of his son's mental state since he was little.  The same he did with his wife. He just doesn't want to deal with it. Doesn't want to deal with responsibility. 

I'm trying to understand LX expressions when he stood outside the doc door listening into their conversation.  He was smiling a few times.  Is he smiling at the irony of it because he knows his father will deny it and brush it aside? Is that why he never share his burdens or stress/anxiety state with his father knowing that whatever he says or share, his father will just brush it aside as nothing and just tell him to buckle up and deal with it like a man?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I'm super sad that Ling Papa ignore doctor's advise to bring LX to see a psychologist. I thought he would be very concern and heed doc advice. Ling Papa has been in denial of his son's mental state since he was little.  The same he did with his wife. He just doesn't want to deal with it. Doesn't want to deal with responsibility. 

I'm trying to understand LX expressions when he stood outside the doc door listening into their conversation.  He was smiling a few times.  Is he smiling at the irony of it because he knows his father will deny it and brush it aside? Is that why he never share his burdens or stress/anxiety state with his father knowing that whatever he says or share, his father will just brush it aside as nothing and just tell him to buckle up and deal with it like a man?

I think going to psychologist it’s quite taboo in their society, the way Ling dad said LX would be very hard to find a wife if they know he had psychologist therapy (based on translation in youtube :D), probably in their mind set, people who go to psychologist is definitely crazy. But LX had 3 bottles of anxiety drugs, and that kind of drugs need prescription from doctor right, so i assumed he already went to psychiatrist.

• Like 1

Shu tong is an anonymous place where you can ask for advice. That's where JJ wrote about her 'problem' of having both brothers confessing to her. She did not name anyone but because she wrote too much details, it's easy to infer which family it is given how rare her family situation is.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Dundee said:

I think going to psychologist it’s quite taboo in their society, the way Ling dad said LX would be very hard to find a wife if they know he had psychologist therapy (based on translation in youtube :D), probably in their mind set, people who go to psychologist is definitely crazy. But LX had 3 bottles of anxiety drugs, and that kind of drugs need prescription from doctor right, so i assumed he already went to psychiatrist.

Yes for that kind of drugs, one needs prescription. I'm not sure if he went to see 3 different doc to get the drugs or 1 doc prescribe 3 different pills for his anxiety attacks. If he has to take 3 different pills for it, it's quite serious. I have a friend who needs to take  two pills every day for her anxiety. The dosage depends on how severe it is. These type of people cannot over stress them out too much. Can drive them to bonkers and they have suicidal thoughts. 

We can see that LX had a bit of the attack when JJ told him to be considerate of ZQ feelings. He took it badly as he felt JJ never consider his feelings at all. Only concern about ZQ. He feels this way is because nobody (none of his parents or step sibling) consider his feelings at all for the past 9 years. His dam just burst. That's why he asked why JJ don't pity him. Then in middle of argument with JJ, he just shut down because he can't express how he feels and he went into one of his anxiety episodes. When JJ hit him, he woke up from his anxiety attack.

Yes he probably has seen a psychiatrist in Singapore already but not seeking treatment for it. I think he didn't go and see one is because he worry it might worry his family and when he was in Singapore, he doesn't have the means or time to see one as his mom is paranoid about him out of her sight. He literally lost himself. The mother already can call him umpteen times per day till he has to switch off his phone.

Like JJ said, she didn't realise literally how broken LX is till she walks closely to him and enter his world. That's when she realised LX is the most pitiful and wondered how he managed to piece himself together to look  perfectly fine to the world when in fact he is in splinters and barely hanging in there.

• Like 3

It's sad that some viewers compares Song Weilong and Steven Zhang. Song Weilong is not only the youngest among them 3, he also has the least acting experience too debuting only in 2016 compared to Steven in 2013 and Seven in 2005. People should give him a break. The personage LX is not easy to act out too. I think the director has chosen all 3 actors well and they do fit in their respective role. I can't imagine Steven as LX and Weilong as ZQ. 

Tonight's episode, I simply love the way JJ is able to coax ZQ and turn him around. Their heart to heart conversation while washing the cute dog is so cute and heartwarming.  Only JJ is able to that to ZQ and LX. 

JJ is also able to coax LX into telling her what happened in Singapore.  What was his life like looking after his mother. His little sister also suffered along with him. 

• Like 4

On 8/28/2020 at 6:13 PM, skibbies said:

? When ZXC joined the drama, the casting for otp was already done, he decided to join because he wanted to work with the leads. 

College is also not as expensive in China as it is in US/UK, it should be less than 10k rmb/year and there are lots of programs to help students that can't afford education. People suggest SWL attend college because they think his acting could be better, and classes might help. He doesn't have to go to uni for it either, taking private lessons from acting teachers could help too. Cnetizens first and foremost think his acting could be improved, and then they looked at education to see if he took formal classes, and then it's gossips about romance. The romance thing is only really relevant to fans that treat him like a boyfriend, not to general audience. Even if he attended uni, they would still criticise him because the end result is "his acting isn't that good" to significant amount of the audience, and since he didn't, the natural solution is suggest he attend college.

It's great that SWL is working for you, and I don't think he's as bad as some people claim, and I do think comments can be harsh, but I just want to put certain things in context.

???????????????????????????????

I've "ignored" you when you made a comment of what I said about AvenueX.  But you seem not to get my message.   I notice you only made 2 posts so far.  Each time is to comment on my post.  

1) No. As a producer, one can choose which role he wants

From what I know, both TSY and SWL do not want to be in this drama. But Steven called to persuade them. TSY purposely made some demands hoping the Director will let her off. SWL was worried that the audience would blame him. Just as what is happening now.  (In fact he said in a recent interview, that he will never accept a role like Ling Xiao again.  Because he does not want to be stereotyped).

But the Direcror want them both. So in the end they are in

2) College? 

- I never  say that SWL avoided college because he cannot afford it? 

- Why people suggest he go to college can be interpreted in many ways. Not necessarily what you concluded.

It can be because people thought he needed it.

It can be because people felt it it better for him to complete his education.  People generally want their children to go to college.

You have your interpretations, I have mine. In my opinions, Teacher Sui Lan "may" have suggested it because she felt that SWL has the potentials. And going to her class will help him develop it further.  And she would love to do that - help him develop his potentials

And don't you know, he already has a private teacher to help him?

As for me, I think whether an actor is good in his acting skills or not, there is no harm in going to classes.  After all education is a "Lifelong Process".  There is always room for improvement.

3) Romance

Again how people react can be interpreted in many ways. And history has shown us how harsh comments and speculations never stop. I never say it is the "general audience". I used the words:  "Most Viewers".  In any case, one does not need to be someone who treats him as bf before one comments on his romance.

Whether it is his education or romance, these have been continously repeated in most blogs, discussions, or writeups. One can find a lot in Youtube alone. Not to mention weibo.

And all these will be repeated each time he has a new project.  Which is why I mentioned it like I did.. It is not that he works for me.  I would have felt the same for any other actors or actresses. 

• Like 4