[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Go Ahead 以家人之名

Lynne

A lot of people came for family drama, it's not that family drama can't have romance, but romance is usually with other people. Some finds the whole situation in this drama a little skeevy, Westermarck effect is a thing (kids raised together at a young age do not develop sexual attraction towards each other later in life). The first time I heard about the drama, I knew who the otp was, so that's not a problem for me, but a lot of people don't really follow drama news. Also do note that, the drama is less like an "idol drama", the fluffy ones that have more unrealistic-ish characterisation, set up or plot development. It's much more in line with a regular drama, much more down to earth, much closer to home, and so people relate to it more and will get mad when your family drama turns into romance when you didn't expect them to (also because come on, disappearing for 9 years with no contact in this day and age is utter bs). To a lot of cnetizens, every. single. bloody. drama turns into a romance drama, it's very very frustrating, because they tend to turn messy and melodramatic, with misunderstandings and other dumb plot developments that the audience is deeply critical of. Last thing, I want to note that Chinese audience see a lot of cdramas, even if they don't watch them, you get bombarded by advertisements, on weibo, or just people talking about it, so while I do think cnet can be very harsh on dramas' production quality and writing and actors, it's not without reason.

• Like 2

While I understand the criticism the drama balances out family drama and romance well they gave hints of the brewing romance that is going to happen Plus I really don't think ZQ really likes JJ as more than a sister his friend confused him and his mom coming back made him want to make the only family he has legally his so the non existence love triangle hopefully will end soon 

I really like end of episode 24

Spoiler

when ZQ ask JJ dad if his mom wanted to see him and it turned quiet then they asked if he wanted to meet her he said y would I she doesn't want to see me LX told ZQ u have to meet ur mother to at least make it clear that in the future even if things change and u want a relationship or need something that u can not to use u being my mother as a way to make me take responsibility then he says when we were younger we didn't starve in the future if we want something we could get it ourselves our lives will keep getting better 

So sad that both have to deal with abandonment

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dundee said:

Hi @Dundee, The ratings may be still good. But it has been dropping. And the reason is ridiculous but clear.

Douban rating for drama Go Ahead falls from 8.6 to 7.9.

ed97c81bly1ghzyhtbz0ij20mz0zfqdl.jpg

ed97c81bly1ghzyhtd15oj20u01en7k7.jpg

Comments:

1. The screenwriter is deserving of this. [+32542]

2. It can be lower.  [+24475]

3. It's purely the screenwriter who caused this...I was really enthusiastic about the first 6 episodes, I never watched again after the 6th episode...[+17445]

4. Why don't you look at which screenwriter wrote this? Very normal. It's a pity for the good actors.  [+13755]

5. The screenwriter is deserving of this; in the future, I will definitely avoid works by the screenwriter. Or maybe I'll just watch the first couple of episodes and act like it's the grand finale.  [+8195]

6. The screenwriter deserves to be hit [+4187]

7. Deserves it [+3032]

These are only a small portions of it. There are more and worse comments. But for me, I think the Scriptwriter has done well - in a tricky subject like this. 
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

Hi @Dundee, The ratings may be still good. But it has been dropping. And the reason is ridiculous but clear.

Douban rating for drama Go Ahead falls from 8.6 to 7.9.

Comments:

3. It's purely the screenwriter who caused this...I was really enthusiastic about the first 6 episodes, I never watched again after the 6th episode...[+17445]

4. Why don't you look at which screenwriter wrote this? Very normal. It's a pity for the good actors.  [+13755]

5. The screenwriter is deserving of this; in the future, I will definitely avoid works by the screenwriter. Or maybe I'll just watch the first couple of episodes and act like it's the grand finale.  [+8195]

7. Deserves it [+3032]

These are only a small portions of it. There are more and worse comments. But for me, I think the Scriptwriter has done well - in a tricky subject like this. 

Does the website has english site? so we can help to give stars LOL

Touching sweet confessions from Ling Xiao.

LX: What's wrong?

JJ: Painful?

LX: Hm. Your hands are cold.

JJ: You can't do that next time.

LX: Do you think this is no good?

LX: Would that help?

LX: If you get married, I will wait for you, wait for your divorce, or take care of your children. If you don’t get divorced, I will be your brother forever.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I feel the story is very well written.  If only people can look at it more broad mindedly. I remember when I was waiting for this drama, I saw from the trailer and the write up on the drama, I was already anticipating the love line between LX and JJ when they grow older. Even before I started watching, I already know there's a loveline so it still amazes me that there are viewers crying foul over it.  I guess these people didn't read up on this drama before watching it. Too bad they missed out on a brilliant story and acting. 

This drama is very heart warming and it is very realistic portrayal of life. 

I'm glad it is pre produced or else we will see the script gets deviated by the people giving nasty comments like u see in Kdrama and the drama will only go downhill.

17 minutes ago, libra22 said:

Touching confessions from Ling Xiao.

LX: If you get married, I will wait for you, wait for your divorce, or take care of your children. If you don’t get divorced, I will be your brother forever.

What a beautiful declaration from LX. This shows that if JJ doesn't feel anything for him in the end, he will just watch over her like a brother. This is an ultimate show of love for someone and you wish them happiness.

We can clearly see that JJ was not repulsed by LX actions when he kissed her on her forehead and cheek.  She was just shocked and surprised because she didn't know that LX has been in love with her since young. The important factor is that she giggled like a teenager infatuated when she recalled LX kisses. 

Yet we can see clearly a total different reaction from her when ZQ declared his love interest. She was totally repulsed by the idea which means she really treats ZQ like a real brother. ZQ only loves JJ like a sister. He was just mislead by his friend and also by his longing to adopted/part of Li family for real instead of just staying there like a foster kid.

His parents should have just give up their rights as parents and let ZQ be legally adopted by Li papa.

• Love 1

On 8/25/2020 at 6:01 AM, hush puppy said:

Douban rating for drama Go Ahead falls from 8.6 to 7.9

Comments:

7. Deserves it [+3032]

Its funny Chinese and international fans are so divided when I watch on YouTube or read comments that are in English ppl love this drama all the family drama and romance together lol 

One of the biggest reason for the change of rating has to do with the shift of tone when they grew up with romance in my opinion its ridiculous most family drama have romance in it they want the main characters to remain platonic no love triangle (agree with no love triangle) This drama is showing there lives through time so getting into relationships is normal and they did hint it often that LX liked JJ so I don't understand how some ppl are so surprised by it but whatever the show is ending next week they can't do anything to stop it. Just ignore it Ppl complain yet they still watch and the drama is still on top of the Weibo searches. When I was looking through douban site for ratings comparisons  most Chinese dramas have low scores (dramas that I love like love o2o 6.9 Eternal love Yang mi drama 6.5)  so it doesn't bug me much anymore I look at Mydramalist more since its in English 

• Like 1

Wow, I am honestly surprised Chinese netizens are complaining about the romance deviation etc.. I seem to recall historically (and still see in historical/fantasy Chinese dramas) that cousins married each other and even half-siblings that are blood related.

I know the censorship board is very conservative in China but they let those historical dramas and this show get through. Additionally, when it comes to daily life in China sex itself is hardly taboo and no I’m not super liberal when it comes to sex (no I absolutely don’t think anything goes including incest or brothels etc.) so don’t attack me! 

I also don’t pay much of any attention to the ratings and look to Mydramalist for descriptions as to what I might wish to watch. Obsessive netizens scare me with the amount of control and influence they bring to bear against actors and productions not to mention the stalking (how isn’t it illegal and automatically enforced when someone continually shows up at someone’s residence, the airport etc. - not to mention changing an actors flight or getting their phone number and calling repeatedly. I just don’t understand, smh).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I feel the story is very well written.  If only people can look at it more broad mindedly. I remember when I was waiting for this drama, I saw from the trailer and the write up on the drama, I was already anticipating the love line between LX and JJ when they grow older. Even before I started watching, I already know there's a loveline so it still amazes me that there are viewers crying foul over it.  I guess these people didn't read up on this drama before watching it. Too bad they missed out on a brilliant story and acting. 

This drama is very heart warming and it is very realistic portrayal of life. 

@cheekychipmunk_stv  I agree with you.

Love is an integral part of our Lives. Whether we find it or not. It is in our innate nature - part of the procreation process.  I'm sure amongst us: some are married (after falling in love of course), some are in-love now, some will be soon,  some - not the right time yet....).  It is one of the Highlights of our Lives. Something beautiful to look forward to.  

As a result in every drama-genre: romance, suspense, martial arts, period....... there will be some elements of love integrated.

So why can it not happen in a Family Drama??  And here in "Go Ahead", Love is added to showcase it as a means to healing.  Healing the "shattered heart and soul" of a precious child.  It is so well-written,  So moving.  So thoughts-provoking

I've seen a lot of the so-called Romance dramas - rom-com or whatever.  They are so illogically written. I just cannot continue watching. I'm sure most of you must have experienced that at one time or another

I'm glad to be among you all - people who know how to appreciate a Good Drama!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Pf_Sunshine said:

Wow, I am honestly surprised Chinese netizens are complaining about the romance deviation etc.. I seem to recall historically (and still see in historical/fantasy Chinese dramas) that cousins married each other and even half-siblings that are blood related.

I know the censorship board is very conservative in China but they let those historical dramas and this show get through. Additionally, when it comes to daily life in China sex itself is hardly taboo and no I’m not super liberal when it comes to sex (no I absolutely don’t think anything goes including incest or brothels etc.) so don’t attack me! 

I also don’t pay much of any attention to the ratings and look to Mydramalist for descriptions as to what I might wish to watch. Obsessive netizens scare me with the amount of control and influence they bring to bear against actors and productions not to mention the stalking (how isn’t it illegal and automatically enforced when someone continually shows up at someone’s residence, the airport etc. - not to mention changing an actors flight or getting their phone number and calling repeatedly. I just don’t understand, smh).

Hahaha ... that's very true. The royals and the rich and powerful clans in  history tend to marry within the family hence after awhile... they have birth defects in later generations. What about in wuxia drama ... they marry their senior or junior of the same clan. These seniors and juniors grew up together as brothers n sisters ... live together, eat together and practice martial art together. Some even marry their master. 

• LOL 2

The international audience have always been much much more leniant towards cdramas, partially because it's lot fresher, partially due to language barrier (dramas will get criticised for dialogue usage, for diction, for using too many of same voice actors in China) and partially because cnetizens are just hilarously harsh on c-ent products in general (actors, dramas, movies etc). The reverse is true though, if you look at ratings for kdramas, jdramas and US/UK shows, popular ones frequently in the 9+ range. The last 9+ cdrama was Nirvana in Fire, it subsequently won bunch of prestigious awards and that still got a lot of criticisms that protag was too OP.

Love O2O's "low rating" have to do with book fans being annoyed by casting + wooden acting + it's a fluff dramas, good fluff dramas get 6 to 7, I think Love O2O could be bit higher but 6.9 is not a bad score by douban standards, TMoTP's score have to do with its novel plagiarism scandal. MDL's issue is that popular + well known actor = high rating, the rating difference is also miniscule but the reviews are definitely helpful. Douban scores have actually been inflated and manipulated in the last few years, but it's still a decent gauge for quality of work most of the time. I definitely do recommend not taking criticisms too seriously. 7+ is still a good score for cdramas (8 is fairly rare, note that Joy of Life is only 8.0, it was stuck at 7.9 for the longest time). The drama is also fairly popular judging by tv ratings, so you are going to get more general audience that will rate it, and they might not be a fan of this type of drama or its writing or its acting.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dundee said:

Does the website has english site? so we can help to give stars LOL

@Dundee   you can go to m.douban.com

You can click for English Translations. Now most of the Chinese websites can do that. But you have to register as a member in order to vote.  The current score is :  7.5

• Like 2

5 hours ago, libra22 said:

Touching sweet confessions from Ling Xiao.

Thanx for the translation, Initially i thought he was wooing JJ too aggresively, but his word to JJ at the end was quite touching, it means he prioritizes her happiness first than his feelings or what he wants.

42 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

@Dundee   you can go to m.douban.com

You can click for English Translations. Now most of the Chinese websites can do that. But you have to register as a member in order to vote.  The current score is :  7.5

Thanx for the info 

• Like 1

Poor LX, he must have been traumatised by his mum that he even had nightmare. Could this be the reason for his insomnia?

This is another touching scene of tonight's ep about ZQ and JJ when they were young. How JJ used to comfort him then and now after he sorted it out with his selfish mum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

JJ is so funny. She blamed LX for her pimple due to his kiss. :Megalol:

LX: About yesterday night....

JJ: I didn't think about it!

LX: Oh. JJ: What do you mean by "Oh"?

LX: Oh means got it.

JJ: Then you can't do this next time

JJ: Of course it's no good. I've got a pimple here on my lips

LX: You blame me for this? You had pimple because you stayed up late and did not exercise. JJ: No! Blame you.

LX: Ok, blame me, blame me.

Is this kiss coming?

71182f35ly1gi2tir29twj20zk1hce82.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Preview of next ep coming up

Translation:

At the clinic:

Colleague: How is your relationship with JJ progressing? At which stage already? Hold hands already? This wouldn't be difficult.  Kiss already?

Home:

LX:  You and Tangcai ... what happened?

JJ:  She told me off.

LX:  Friends tend to say angry and nasty words during a quarrel.  Don't take it to heart.

JJ:  Right now I can't even control my mind. I'm so angry. Arrrggghhh!

LX: I have a feeling that if I do something right now, it will take your mind off it.

JJ:  Impossible!  I definitely cannot get over it tonight. 

KISS!

Meet 2nd brother next day

JJ:  aahh..forget about it ... forget about it

ZQ: What's wrong?

JJ:  2nd Brother, you won't suddenly jump on me and kiss me, right?

ZQ: What? Who do you take me for? How could I possibly spring a kiss on you!

JJ: But what if I was super upset and can't calm down?

ZQ:  Crazy girl! I would shove your head into the freezer and let you cool down.

JJ: *clap hands*  Fantastic! Fantastic! Your answer is 100% right!

Back in a apartment with MY

MY:  According to my observation, LX & ZQ are both in the dark about it. I won't miss it  in the world, watching this great drama unfold before me. Being the sole person who knows what's going on, I must personally witness how you are going to sit up there on the pedestal (??? ?.. not sure what she meant there).

JJ:  Are you a devil?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

From episode 27-28 preview it shows the difference between LX and ZQ When asking ZQ if he would kiss her out of nowhere (force kiss) he replied of course not id throw u into a freezer so you'd calm down LOL remind me of the scene where JJs EX wanted to kiss and she was so against it

I also saw another clip on Weibo seems to be after the kiss JJ was saying next time don't do that but it looked like she didn't mean it It was such a sugary scene 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

Forgive me for not having read fully all the prior comments and chiming in anyway, but from what I've gleaned it sounds like some C-netz are having issues with the romantic developments in this drama.  And I wanted to add my 2 cents.

What ZQ feels for JJ can't even be taken seriously.  He's allowed himself to be persuaded by the chatter around him (namely, ZB) and thus thinks he has non-sibling feelings for JJ, but we, and she, and eventually he will too, know that's not true.  They truly were raised as sibling and only see each other as siblings.  

LX, on the other hand, they may have been raised as siblings, but he never saw her as a sibling.  And that's why it's not weird for him to have romantic feelings for JJ despite how they grew up.  JJ's trickier, because she has always thought of the two boys as her brother, but that's just it.  It's what she thinks.  And I think if she does some soul-searching, she'll find she's always treated LX a little differently.  That's not to say she shortchanged ZQ or loved him any less; it's just there is a subtle difference there.  All her life she's tagged after LX, wanted him for her own, and idolized him.  ZQ, on the other hand, she'd josh around with, tease, and etc.  It's the dynamic one would expect more from a sibling; he's that pesky older brother.  The same cannot be said for LX.  

That's just my opinion, though.  ;) 

• Like 5

ZQ’s confession scene was really funny, i cannot stop laughing. The way JJ told ZQ to not tell LX because he’s out of his mind also funny.

:Megalol:

5 hours ago, phuong1317 said:

From episode 27-28 preview it shows the difference between LX and ZQ When asking ZQ if he would kiss her out of nowhere (force kiss) he replied of course not id throw u into a freezer so you'd calm down LOL remind me of the scene where JJs EX wanted to kiss and she was so against it

Agree, i hope he realizes this sooner LOL

• LOL 2