[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Go Ahead 以家人之名

Lynne

Based on JJ’s personality, how she tried being nice and win CT while she knew CT hate her and her dad,  until she silently cry was quite rare, she put up with the whole things because she’s worry about LX and she cannnot tell that to LX also, because she didn’t want to add problems to LX who already in bad condition.

• Like 5

@cheekychipmunk_stv I thought the voice over (at end of the clip) gave a sense of hope that his dead sister has forgiven him since he doesn’t dream of her anymore and whatever he owed his mum has been paid. Although it was a question he asked but it definitely is more positive cos he doesn’t dream of her anymore.

However, it does imply he feels guilty towards his dead sister and he has a debt to pay regarding his mum... that’s my biggest peeve and I know I have said this too many times... LX, it is NOT your fault at all.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, luvhollandlop said:

Latest clip: LX rushes home to find JJ tearing after meeting his mum. 

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4545013859753991#&video

I recalled the black hole reference. LX feeling helpless and hopeless even after confronting his mum and told her not to hurt JJ, not even saying a hurtful sentence towards her. 

He doesn't want his mom to taint JJ world. He knows 1st hand how awful and the black bottomless pit that his mom suck him and Little Orange in. He doesn't want JJ to become like him. Anything happens to JJ because of his mom, he will lash out. JJ is his world and universe.  As he warn and told his mom, she can torture him n his sister because she is their mom ( I personally disagree with that statement) but she cannot touch JJ even 1 strain of hair.

I don't understand why some netizens say LX is mommy's boy. In what way is he mommy's boy. He never is/was.  A mommy's boy is someone who relies heavily on his mother to do everything in his life and also mommy's boy is a mother who loves and pampers her son. LX mom never love him nor pampers him. She only wants to control and abuse him for her miserable life. I'm sure she might even blame him for her car accident in Singapore that renders her handicap. She needs a source outlet to put blame on for all the misfortunes in her life. And to her it all started with LX caused his sister to die in the room. She never once self reflects on herself.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dundee said:

Based on JJ’s personality, how she tried being nice and win CT while she knew CT hate her and her dad,  until she silently cry was quite rare, she put up with the whole things because she’s worry about LX and she cannnot tell that to LX also, because she didn’t want to add problems to LX who already in bad condition.

I think it’s very important we see that. She spends so much time being positive and comforting others. This has been building up since the birthday party I think. LX’s mom and sister’s comments and general ill treatment are wearing on her.

The drama is great at building everything up and laying the foundation for the next plot point. Like even before this, Li dad was hesitating to fully congratulate LX and JJ on their relationship because he’s worried about Chen Ting. And even Ling dad was proactive and confronted CT. I also loved the scene where he told JJ he wouldn’t let CT bully her. 

Poor LX. He doesn’t care what his mom will do to him, but now he can’t even protect JJ. I’m sure he’s feeling miserable. :( 

• Like 2

@cheekychipmunk_stv  I think the people who made those comments are used to watching romantic idol dramas where they expect the male leads (usually a self-made rich man) to "protect" the female lead (usually a weak damsel in distress) at all cost to the point of being aggressive.  Perhaps, I exaggerated but you get my point.  So LX's lack of direct confrontation with his mother thus far was seen as weak and being a mama's boy. They expect LX to tell the mother off, call her out for all her mean behaviour and sever ties with his mother at the drop of a hat (although I must say such thoughts r beginning to appeal to me too. My patience with LX's mum is wearing thin).

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

I admit I am sensitive to LX situation. I know what it's like to be blamed for things I had very little control over. I know what it means to be in a toxic family. I've seen how hard it is on caregivers who have to deal with a sick parent. 

I am not like LX however in personality. I have confronted my abusers, and I can tell you it's not cathartic. It might satisfy viewers to see LX confront his mom. But it won't solve the problem unless Chen Ting is willing to listen. So far there are no signs she will.

The only time I've seen CT care about LX is when he was accidentally burn by her. Burning her son, finally made her change her attitude and go to physical therapy.  

The LX is much more controversial than HZQ. His anxiety and depression, how he holds in all his emotions are all treated as weak. One of the few times I've seen people sympathise with him is when he said in my family I can't be seen as sick. If he depends on someone like JJ people are worried he is turning into his mom. He's a drowning character. He needs a life jacket and JJ is the only one he trusts. 

Of course it's not healthy. JJ said it herself, why does no one realize you are sick?

It pains me to read peoples comments. His character doesn't get as much support. I may have picked on a few words from other commenters but ultimately I just feel defensive for the character. Everyone has a right to their opinion. The discussions show how difficult and taboo it is to have any kind of psychological struggles.

To those who are all saying he needs therapy. I don't deny therapy may help, especially regarding his guilt over his sister. I think he must had done some therapy, he's getting those drugs from someone. But Chen Ting doesn't go away even if you sit on the therapist chair for an hour a day. I'm not trying to be flippant, but his psychological problems have a root in his toxic mom and the death of his sister. 

To be honest when I look at LX story I feel as helpless as he does. I don't have a simple solution for him. I have no idea where this drama will go with his story.

If mental health is taboo in China, just imagine how harshly people will be if he abandons his mom. It's his legal obligation in China to maintain some kind of relationship with his mom and provide an allowance if she is in financial need. (This was trending because the Chinese gov't weighed in on his responsibilities:

So unless he leaves China he is legally obligated to have a relationship with her.

The situation is tragic. 

Edited by funnypeopleswim
  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

There are a few scenes from this drama that I like very much and it highlights a lot on what some parents think and expect of their children in real life. Parents tend to put all their aspirations on their children to achieve what they couldn't in their life. How most a

Asian parents tend to control their children's life even when they are adult same as how their parents control theirs.  It's a vicious cycle. Even though some parents try to avoid putting their aspirations and pressure on their kids, somehow they still do a little bit subconsciously. 

MY ... her mom wants her to go into law. She fails to listen to MY even after MY confronted her mom in the end and bear her soul to her mom begging her mom to hear her. Her mom still didn't listen to her plea and walked out angrily disappointed in her daughter.  MY mom still didn't see where she was wrong in. The words that MY mom spoken at MY was very harsh. She even look down on her own daughter.  My heart simply breaks for MY.

TC ... her mom is another horrible person. She raised her daughter and spoil her daughter's future by her greediness. Her aim of having her daughter is to be her cash cow and glory to show off to friends and relatives.  She doesn't even consider nor care what TC wants and feels. Now that TC couldn't make it as actress, she is ashamed of her to point of lying to relatives. TC mom words were equally harsh at TC making TC feel worthless.

The only 2 kids in the show that didn't have a parent looking down at them is JJ ZQ. 

LX is from a toxic and abusive family background.  

We see that CT zone out when Ling Papa told her that LX is in a very bad state of depression and is taking medication for it. Her reaction to Ling Papa request leave LX alone and give him a break is totally ignored by CT. She doesn't want to hear that LX is sick nor wants to hear the request to let LX off. Is that why LX said "In my family,  I'm not allowed get sick,"?

I find the way ZQ discipline Little Orange is much like little JJ character (not the grown up JJ).  Am I the only one who thinks so? 

• Like 5

Little Orange is so pretty and the actress who play it ... i thought she comes from a pretty ok to do family. To my surprise, saw an article about her in weibo news feed. She was abandoned by her real parents when she was 5-6 months old. Her adoptive father found her and brought her home n raise her together with his wife.  Her adopted parents are quite elderly when they found her. Now they are in their 70s. Little Orange is in a hurry to do well and take care of them before it's too late. I'm glad that she was raised in a loving environment.

http://weibointl.api.weibo.com/share/170076625.html?weibo_id=4545110237518274

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

I am not sure China still holds filial piety as that important. After the cultural revolution, much has changed. In Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan, Chinese are more bound to traditional roots of 三从四德, albeit, not to the tee. Because the Chinese in these countries are not affected by cultural revolution. The younger generation in China do consider certain confuscius teachings as backward. Eg. You have a married couple and it is uncommon to address the wife as Mrs XXX. The children of couple can take mum’s surname or a combination too. Not that common in Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Thus, you have the very outspoken netizens in China who lashed out at LX for being mama’s boy. 

To me, Li Ba’s character is very unusual in current China’s context. He encourages JJ to remember relatives beyond usual lunar new year visits etc.

I have a feeling that this show is also trying to promote familial relationships and togetherness in China. That’s just my 3 cents’ worth.

• Like 2

It is really difficult to watch LX’s mum’s behaviour in the latest 2 episodes.... not sure why the Writers r dragging this out. So difficult to see LX and XCZ and JJ suffer... 

She had the audacity to accuse LX of preferring his father to her. LX replied because he cares for him. When LX asked her why she doesn’t care for him, it nearly broke my heart. For a child to ask his mother that question is almost begging her to love him. Sigh... all she could think about was to get rid of JJ as if JJ disappears from LX’s life, he will be hers...

Frankly, I am so frustrated at this point. LX’s mother’s craziness is dragged out far too long In the drama it is beginning to feel repetitive. I can’t bear to see LX, JJ and XCZ suffer anymore. 

@Mercipourleslivres I join u at rioting.

It is so tiring to see LX’s mother milk her “disability” and misfortune to her advantage. 

She believes that she is a victim and certain people hate her. She pushed these people away and treated these people in a way so that they couldn’t come near her. That perpetuates her belief that she is the victim and goes around acting and telling people she is the victim. How tiring... for her and for people around her especially her 2 kids.

I agree with LX. She is a black hole and nothing he does can fill up that hole. He needs to draw boundaries with her. He will only care for her based on his terms NOT hers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luvhollandlop said:

It is really difficult to watch LX’s mum’s behaviour in the latest 2 episodes.... not sure why the Writers r dragging this out. So difficult to see LX and XCZ and JJ suffer... 

She had the audacity to accuse LX of preferring his father to her. LX replied because he cares for him. When LX asked her why she doesn’t care for him, it nearly broke my heart. For a child to ask his mother that question is almost begging her to love him. Sigh... all she could think about was to get rid of JJ as if JJ disappears from LX’s life, he will be hers...

Frankly, I am so frustrated at this point. LX’s mother’s craziness is dragged out far too long In the drama it is beginning to feel repetitive. I can’t bear to see LX, JJ and XCZ suffer anymore. 

@Mercipourleslivres I join u at rioting.

It is so tiring to see LX’s mother milk her “disability” and misfortune to her advantage. 

She believes that she is a victim and certain people hate her. She pushed these people away and treated these people in a way so that they couldn’t come near her. That perpetuates her belief that she is the victim and goes around acting and telling people she is the victim. How tiring... for her and for people around her especially her 2 kids.

I agree with LX. She is a black hole and nothing he does can fill up that hole. He needs to draw boundaries with her. He will only care for her based on his terms NOT hers. 

People like LX mom can't see that they are the problem and that they are energy suckered and they suck everyone and everything within their radius. They feel and think they are the victim and everyone is against them and talk bad about them. I think she has manic depression or bipolar. 

LX mom is scary. In latest episodes, she went to LX office n make friends with his nosy colleague and even exchange phone no. And then she drag her sister in law  to LX house as an excuse to get his door code. She is literally harassing him. She thought she could get the pass code from JJ....hahaha .... digital  fingerprint. Mission failed. 

I'm glad little orange told them what happened to LX in Singapore and her crazy mom. She is a nice girl despite growing up with a crazy mom. I like her conversation with ZQ at the cafe after LX & JJ  left.

Ooo... papa Li and ZQ mom is progressing.  ZQ mom already said Yes to Li papa to be JJ stepmother. :smile:  

HM: Why JJ hates me so much when she was little?

Li Papa: She doesn't hate you. She just don't want a stepmother back then.

HM: So she won't have a problem with me being her stepmother now, right?

Li papa: Definitely no problem at all.

Hahaha ... this ship is sailing alright.  ZQ will finally get his wish come true.

Preview of next episode 

Spoiler

• Like 1

Looking at how LX’s mum cut up LX’s childhood photos with JJ and ZQ, I am also wondering whether LX is fearful of his mum doing bodily harm to JJ. That could be the reason why he dashed back when he found out that his mum saw JJ outside his flat and asked for JJ to open the door for her. That could also be the reason why LX told JJ to stay away from his mum and if she sees his mum again to run the opposite direction and as far as possible.

XCZ also insisted in telling both ZQ and JJ about what the mum did to LX’s photos back in Singapore. “They need to know how crazy our mum can get so that they are better prepared.” XCZ explained. This is like a premonition of things to come...

Furthermore, tomorrow’s episode will show XCZ siding ZQ when mum accused ZQ of evil intentions to have XCZ working in his cafe. Mum may begin to feel the desperation of her children pulling away from her. In retaliation, she may hurt JJ so that she is removed from their lives...

• Sad 2
  • Insightful 1

6 minutes ago, luluponyazn said:

Aside from CT's craziness and hearts breaking for LX, who here enjoyed HM and Li Ba's storyline today? I gushed over their cuteness, especially how Li Ba tried to reach HM on those awkward stairs. hahahaha. 

:joy::joy::joy:

Me me me 

I love how HM just say matter of fact that she likes to be JJ stepmother now. :joy: Rendering  Li papa to speechless and happiness at the same time. He is always such a gentleman and he already won her over long time ago when she saw how he loves children and how he treats ZQ on first meeting.  After all these years, he is still the same heartwarming man who loves children. 

Li papa hurry up and marry HM so that she can put CT in her place if she ever step on any of the kids.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1