[Drama 2019-2020] Stove League, 스토브리그

larus

11 hours ago, yoeda said:

The scene is after the credit roll and they put 'epilogue'. it happen somewhere between the main story timeline. Maybe after he's meeting the owner etc. Maybe at your watching site they don't put the epilogue title sub. i don't think the edit is messed up. they do it purposely. 

I think they just want to keep us guessing. Remember the scene with Robert Gil when they run for a gasses? I keep thinking that BSS try to investigate his life with home cook craving coz he suspected he's a baseball player. Apparently the scene happen after the half of the episode backtrack to the night they saw him practice. 

It that scene was supposed to be an epilogue it was a weird choice. I did not feel like it was flowing naturally. I am not an expert but the edit should have been a little better. JMO.

Now, about the Robert scene. Yes, that was deliberately. They did not show what happeneds in the whole scene but reveal later. I must say I expected the scene where they should offer Robert a deal (it was not that surprizing in the first place :lol:) but I still wanted to see it happened. And to know about his story.

About the actor playing Robert Kill. I was so sure I saw him in another sport drama. At first I thought he was in Dr Champ, as a judo player,  but not, that was Jung Suk-Won (who married singer Baek Ji-Young ). Then I saw that Lee Yong Woo was in Birdie Buddy, a drama about golf. I remember seeing him in Last too but not sure in The Chaser. I don`t think I saw him smiling in a drama. His characters (from a few dramas I saw him) gave me a sullen vibe.

• Like 3

Behind the scenes of the shootings ,  actors Nam Gung-min and Yoon Sun-woo.

20200109165046_5e16db5662a97_1.jpg

https://www.hankyung.com/entertainment/article/202001096092I

Actress Park Eun-bin captivated viewers with her charm.

2020010902957_0.jpg

https://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2020/01/09/2020010902970.html

Se Young is angry.l I can`t wait to put the insolent player on his place.

15 hours ago, yoeda said:

New still

The scene where  Baek Seung Soo shows his pain is revealed.

It is good that she is expresing his sorrow. I am looking forward to see the scene.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mysteries To Keep An Eye Out For In The Second Half Of “Stove League”

Jan 10, 2020
by S. Nam
21abeb9385cf436faaea16ae9a6a2328.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Stove League” has already reached its halfway mark!

“Stove League” tells the story of Dreams, a baseball team who are so bad that not even their fans have tears left to shed for them. They undergo a change when an unconventional new manager comes to take over, and the drama is quickly rising in ratings with its exciting storyline.

Here are three points to look out for in the second half of the drama!

The mysteries surrounding Baek Seung Su

During the past seven episodes of “Stove League,” various scenes sparked the viewers’ curiosity. In particular, hot topics involved Baek Seung Su’s (Namgoong Min’s) food picture on his phone which had zero contacts saved. Viewers are also curious about the truth behind his chilling whisper to the resisting Lim Dong Gyu (Jo Han Sun) just before the trade that immediately placed Lim Dong Gyu under his control.

Furthermore, viewers are also curious to find out why before coming to Dreams, he became the leader of a ssireum (Korean wrestling) and Handball team in succession, only to have the team breakup after winning. Viewers are hoping that the second half of the drama will help to explain the mysteries behind Baek Seung Su’s character.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1376170wpp/mysteries-to-keep-an-eye-out-for-in-the-second-half-of-stove-league

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great episode!  

Spoiler

I love how they don’t drag out the problems for too long and it gets resolved...allowing them to move on to new ones :lol:.  Love how fiery SeYoung is.  She needs to be in a man-centric world.  She’s smart and savvy.  Poor SeungSoo.  Even before the ink has dried on the signed contracts for ALL the necessary players to form the team, he hits external hurdles from the press (boo to the reporter for editing the interview clip so as to fuel the controversy... :angry:), he gets attacked for “preferential treatment” for his brother’s employment.  Looks like SY will have to take up the reins of running the club temporarily from previews... this drama keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time.  I just love how fast paced it is but with enough tidbits into the different key characters for us to get a handle on them and stay invested.  And it’s not even a thriller.  :lol:.  Kudos to the writer for bringing the baseball world to the uninitiated (like me) and making it palatable.  Much like how SS takes pics of his perfect food before he devours it, it’s been a delicious ride so far.  I can’t help but want Dreams to pull together and succeed as a team.  The Dream Team.  :wub:

• Like 3

So earlier in the drama they were talking about how they as the conglomorate can't directly sell the club because of the attachment of many people in the area to that club. It would harm their businesses in the area. So it already serves its purpose?

And all the clubs in the KBO are owned by chaebols. It's mostly about prestige anyway.

And if like in this episode the stock prizes of that gigantic multi billion company group with 10000s or maybe 100000s employees drop because of some bad press about one of their clubs... Dropping by almost 10% lol. They would see the importance and value a bit different. (ofc it's all non sense anyway)

• Like 3

This drama keeps getting better.  I really like the confrontation between Seung Soo and Kwon kyeong min.  I appreciate the comparison between the 9% and 30%.  It was also equally interesting to watch Kyeong Min as the one being bullied.

On a side note, I hope someone can translate the BTS for the benefit of non Korean audiences. 

• Like 6

“Stove League” Continues With Strong Ratings, Hits Another Personal Best

Jan 11, 2020
by R. Jun
e480a31a029b4b04aecd8482c83de320.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Stove League” is still going strong!

According to Nielsen Korea, the January 10 broadcast of the drama recorded 12.2 and 14.9 percent viewership nationwide, hitting yet another personal best in ratings. The drama peaked at 17.1 percent in its most-watched minute.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1376291wpp/stove-league-continues-with-strong-ratings-hits-another-personal-best

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Fabbo said:

So earlier in the drama they were talking about how they as the conglomorate can't directly sell the club because of the attachment of many people in the area to that club. It would harm their businesses in the area. So it already serves its purpose?

Yes.  But at the moment what the public doesn’t see is that it’s costing the company millions to keep the club running.  It’s running at a loss but they don’t know how to get rid of it. The conglomerate relies on reputation.  Their name is all that matters.  If news leaks out that they want to sell the club or it’s their fault that the club ceases to exist, the people would start to boycott Jaesong products, throw eggs at their stores etc.  It would lead to a bad image for the company...which is why the negative press that SS released caused the share price to drop (it’s all about market expectations and retaliation).  That’s why they hired SS in the first place. They want him to cause the club to implode and disband with no fuss so the company doesn’t suffer public backlash.  He did that with the other 3 clubs before.  

• Like 3

I just watched episode 8 and at the end of the episode I was glad that I don`t have to wait one week for the next episode.

It was so good. I could feel the tension, I smiled, I emphatized with some characters, I got satisfaction that Ko Se hyeok did not win, I was frustrated  that Kwon think of a ridiculous acusation (because we know it is not true what he said) to get rid of Seung Soo and want to know what it will happen next. That`s a good show. That`s a good writing.

I loved how the team worked to sign the contracts with Ko Se Hyeok`s players, behind his back. They realised that he doesn`t want the best interest of the team or the players anyway. I love how happy the players were when their contracts were raised by 11%. I am glad Jang Jin-Woo did not retire. Even Seo Yeong-Ju apologised and signed the contract.

The only good thing I liked about Kwon Kyung Min in today episode was when he listened to Metallica in his car. How ironic. He was happy that he has something to fire Seung Soo thinking that he is again "Master of Puppets" but in reality he is just a "slave" in front of his uncle.  He was willing to pay him the salary for two years just to get rid of him. Kwon knows now that Seung Soo is not a puppet and wants to remove him. If he will be the antagonist that will fight against Seung soo, so be it. Dreams will succeed against him but only with Seung Soo who is knowing his job. 

I was sad to see in the preview that Seung Soo accepted to go. I wanted him to fight back because everything was unfair. Lee Se-Young, Han Jae-Hee, Yoo Kyung-Taek know exactly why Baek Young-Soo was accepted despite his brother`s opposition.

What a lack of profesionalism has that young female journalist! To edit so much the answers that even the editor was thinking it was too much. If she  wanted to create controversy, she succeeded but I lost respect for her as a professional. 

The people who wants who is best for the team will want Seung soo back because they know that Dreams needs him. I hope they will support him more from now on.

7 hours ago, nrllee said:

That’s why they hired SS in the first place. They want him to cause the club to implode and disband with no fuss so the company doesn’t suffer public backlash.  He did that with the other 3 clubs before.  

Yes, Kwon thought that Baek Seung Soo will do his job but not interfere when the club will disband. First goal of  Seung Soo is to win the championship but this time he will try to save Dreams from disbandment. I think he cared for the other team too but this time he was the public who is passionate about baseball on his side. If Dreams will win, they will bake up Baek Seung soo. It will be hard for CEO Kwon to disband the team without backlash from the public.  Fighting, Seung soo and his team! I cheer for you and I don`t even a fan of baseball. :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, larus said:

I was sad to see in the preview that Seung Soo accepted to go. I wanted him to fight back because everything was unfair. Lee Se-Young, Han Jae-Hee, Yoo Kyung-Taek know exactly why Baek Young-Soo was accepted despite his brother`s opposition.

What a lack of profesionalism has that young female journalist! To edit so much the answers that even the editor was thinking it was too much. If she  wanted to create controversy, she succeeded but I lost respect for her as a professional. 

The people who wants who is best for the team will want Seung soo back because they know that Dreams needs him. I hope they will support him more from now on.

I'm not watching new episode yet coz sub will out tomorrow evening here. My guess it's more about his brother sake. If he only he just let go and fight back but they already drag his brother name along. But, I think now he has more ppl behind his back more than he realize and they'll totally will back him up and cheer for him. It's the turning point in his life. If we look closely BSS is kind a lonely character coz he push ppl away.

• Like 5

I knew that reporter was trouble! Her along with the damn management continue on their smear campaign against Seung Soo.:angry: Bravo 'gain to Se Yong for sticking up for Seung Soo. She rocks LoL.B) Glad to see Seung Soo's brother smile more, he is cute too eheheh. 

Ep. 09 shows a more humane side to Seung Soo. So that's why he kept taking pics of food so his mom won't worry. I really liked how sensible his mom was. I thought for sure she was goin' to lose it when she heard he got fired but instead she was very encouraging, supportive even.

Gosh I felt for Seung Soo when he wept while holding Chang Ju's baby~ losing a child is awful for any couple.. While he's back at Dreams, it's only temporary. I'm waiting to see how Se Yong will handle this when she finds out!:lol:

LoL at her mom's A jobless man is still a man. :w00t: 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Great episode last night!  I really like how they don’t overplay the emotional side of the background stories.  There’s enough there to keep you informed, and just enough to hit a chord but it doesn’t dwell so long that it takes away from the overall pace of the drama.  Like a little pit stop.  It keeps marching on towards that championship goal.  The drama keeps in step with SS.  

Spoiler

This episode gives us insight into SS and YS’s life.  SS and his obsession with food pics - the reason was far more rudimentary than the metaphor I thought it to be :lol:.  He was merely sending them to appease his mother’s worries (that he was eating well).  It was his way of connecting with her as she cared for his father (who looks to be in long term care for dementia).  I really like the depictions of home life in this drama.  Functional, normal, realistic, supportive.  SeYoung and her mother - how SY bounces her work woes and thinks aloud to her mother.  Her mother grounds her.  The support she offers her is intangible but vital for SY to function at her best work wise.  Similarly with SS’s family.  His mother understands and supports him from afar.  A lot of this is unspoken.  But it’s palpable.  And gradually SS is realizing that he is no longer alone in his struggle at work.  That he has a “work family” as well.  They have his back.

That last scene though... :tears:.  Heartbreaking.  SS didn’t imagine he had the right to hold babies... because he felt responsible for having “failed” his own child.  Yet there he was, holding someone else’s.  They entrusted him with their child at that moment.  It was his watershed moment.  An act of goodwill on the part of Robert and his wife.  They trusted him with their most precious treasure for that moment.  No questions asked.  Despite his reservations and his statement that he can’t hold babies (he was saying he didn’t deserve to hold babies).  And he broke down.  In part weeping for the child he lost and the realization that it was not the case.  That good hearted people would not fault him for the loss of his child but thought him worthy enough to be responsible for their own.  It was beautifully done.  :wub:

EDIT - ratings climbing.  :D  Well deserved.

KBS2 #BeautifulLoveWonderfulLife 18.4% |23.1%

SBS #StoveLeague 11.8% |15.5%

MBC #NeverTwice 7.1%| 8.7% | 8.1% | 9.2%

tvN #CrashLandingOnYou 9.394%

JTBC #Chocolate 4.215%

TVChosun  #SelectionTheWarBetweenWomen  3.355%

ChannelA #Touch  0.736%

• Like 7

Awww, those last scenes :cold_sweat:   Nothing like an innocent baby to get past those emotional walls.   I really felt for BSS, for all the responsibilities and guilt that has made him more and more withdrawn and reserved from people around him.  He needed that vulnerable moment because I think he never really had the chance to grieve and mourn.

I don’t understand though why there has to be a time limit for his employment as he already has the support of the chairman.  He didn’t really needed to negotiate as he was in a strong position.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

I just watched episode 8. I loved it.

In this episode we focus on Seung soo`s personal story and how the Dreams team is doing after he left.

Se Young was wonderful. I just loved that she instantly wanted to say to Kwon that Seung Soo`s firing was not fair (it is her nature :D). Maybe it was better that her colleague stopped her when the owner announced the news but I love her more that she said what she wanted to say anyway in private to Kwon and Ko and later to her colleagues who did not do anything to speak up an injustice.  As Seung Soo`s brother pointed out, he is unlikely for him to not defend himself but he also said that he is the type to defend others fist (his family for exemple). Seung Soo needed a rest. His personal story is so sad. I cried too when he cried holding Robert`s baby. 

I loved Se Young that she realised that nobody defended Seung Soo before and decided to mobilize the team and get him back. Their faces when he blow up the candle and move on to work! :lol: But he was touched. When he complimented his brother but said he won`t say it twice. :lol: It is his style and they will get used to him. Dreams are getting more strong as they bond more. Even if Seung Soo will resign (because of the new contract), he will put the base to make a better team. I hope Se Young will learn more from him. He will be a good asset to the team even when Seung soo won`t be there.

I also liked the moment when Se Young said to Seung Soo that he has to come back because he worked hard to get a plan for Dreams to win the championship. He gave him hope, that Dreams needs Seung Soo to guide them but they all should work hard to acomplish their dream.

Not to mention when She Young met that female reporter.... Definitely. Se Young was on the roll in this episode.

• Like 5
  • Love 1