[Drama 2019-2020] Stove League, 스토브리그

larus

The “56th Baeksang Arts Awards” Judges Share How They Came To Select These 5 Winners

On June 5, 2020, the prestigious 56th Baeksang Arts Awards held its no-audience ceremony — celebrating another successful year of Korean movies and dramas. The greatest hits from April 2019 to April 2020 took home the well-deserved trophies. In case you’re curious though, here are the details on how the Baeksang Arts Awards judges selected some of the winners.

1. Daesang (Grand Prize)

While the daesang candidates have not been revealed prior to the ceremony, the judges discussed the possibilities among When The Camellia BloomsMister Trot, and actress Kim Hee Ae from The World of The Married. When the actual voting process began, however, the judges in general showed a strong inclination toward When The Camellia Blooms. They commented, “Television nowadays must provide the viewers with both entertainment and social insight. When The Camellia Blooms did exactly that.” According to the judges, When The Camellia Blooms taught the viewers that the average citizens can come together and make big changes — which is certainly the most appropriate message that the society needs at the moment. The judges thought highly of the fact that When The Camellia Blooms emphasized “We’re all protagonists in our own ways” and thus, inspired them to throne it the Baeksang grand prize.

2. Best Actor

The judges shared that the votes remained split between actor Kang Ha Neul of When The Camellia Blooms and acter Namkoong Min of Hot Stove League until the final round. Ultimately, Kang Ha Neul had the honor of winning Best Actor — for his most believable portrayal of the character Hwang Yong Shik. The judges believed Kang Ha Neul boasted an excellent spectrum of emotions on the show, which is rare from the relatively young group of actors in their 30s.

3. Best Supporting Actor

Actor Oh Jung Se of both When The Camellia Blooms and Stove League won Best Supporting Actor with an unanimous vote from the judges. They commented, “Oh Jung Se successfully played two entirely different characters in his hit dramas — all the while making the viewers believe they are completely separate people. His ability to do this is simply irreplaceable.

4. Best Actress
The competition for the Best Actress award had been the fiercest yet. According to the judges, The World of The Married‘s Kim Hee Ae went head to head against When The Camellia Blooms‘s Gong Hyo Jin and Hyena‘s Kim Hye Soo. Eventually the judges came to agree that Kim Hee Ae’s deep understanding of — and the multi-dimensional portrayal of — the shattered-and-miserable Dr. Ji Sun Woo deserved to be awarded

5. Best New Actress

Actress Kim Da Mi happily took home this once-in-a-lifetime award — for her funky-fresh character in the webtoon-based K-Drama Itaewon Class. Judges commented that she and Hospital Playlist actress Jeon Mi Do had the judges bouncing back and forth until the very last minute. They revealed, “It was a really close call. Jeon Mi Do actually lost by a single vote.” In the end, Kim Da Mi’s rising and trendsetting presence in the K-Drama world deemed her more worthy of the super rookie title.

https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/56th-baeksang-arts-awards-judges-share-select-5-winners-details/?fbclid=IwAR085-rsFAL2BfWRyciUR2Eur_D7fjPknyThImheMxg5E7EmS4o8SL6BXsw

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200703000727

Ups and downs of K-dramas in first half 2020

By Choi Ji-won | Jul 6, 2020

44AEC3D3-B053-41F4-9073-7A3A35D9D643.jpg

“The World of the Married” (JTBC)/ "Itaewon Class" (JTBC)/ "Crash Landing on You" (tvN)

The first half of this year was an especially bumpy road for Korean television. Although the sudden outbreak of COVID-19 halted some productions for a while, small-screen content came into a new limelight as a source of joy and comfort for people stuck at home in the period of quarantine.

JTBC becomes big name 

JTBC ran strong last year with “Sky Castle,” which set a record viewership rating for the cable channel. And the broadcaster has further built on its success this year. 

“Itaewon Class” kicked off the year smoothly for the network. Based on a popular webtoon of the same title, Korean heartthrob Park Seo-jun showed chemistry with rookie Kim Da-mi. The story of Park Sae-ro-yi chasing success captured young viewers and the series ended at a high of 16.5 percent in the ratings.

Koreans thought they had had enough of deadly love affairs -- until they saw “The World of the Married.” Even with the six R-rated episodes that set the series apart, the “Doctor Foster” remake quickly gained popularity and at its 12th episode outran the previous highest viewership mark of 23.8 percent set by “Sky Castle,” ending with a new record 28.3 percent on its final episode. As a result, producer Mo Wan-il and lead actor Kim Hee-ae were named best producer and best actress for TV, respectively, at this year’s Baeksang Arts Awards.

Not everything worked out, but drama powerhouse tvN also had its ups. Studded with stars in leads Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin, “Crash Landing on You” broke tvN’s viewership record in February with the unrealistic romance between a South Korean chaebol heiress and North Korean military officer. Taking the baton next, “Hospital Playlist” from star director Shin Won-ho and writer Lee Woo-jung was a massive hit despite only airing once a week.

Among the three major local broadcasters, SBS showed fair scores for many of its dramas, including the second season of medical drama “Dr. Romantic,” Namkoong Min’s “Stove League” and “Hyena,” featuring Ju Ji-hoon and Kim Hye-soo.

F08EF045-5449-4D17-9149-3A9BF754F849.jpg

“Extracurricular” (Netflix)/ “Stove League” (SBS)/ "Black Dog" (tvN)

New writers debut big

The first sports-themed drama in Korean TV, SBS’ “Stove League” from rookie writer Lee Shin-hwa was a huge hit. The baseball drama captured even those viewers who have never been a fan of the sport with its no-frills story that moved the limelight from the players to the front office.

Scriptwriter Jin Han-sae of Netflix’s “Extracurricular” also shot to fame with the 10-episode series. The son of star TV screenwriter Song Ji-na -- who created some of Korea’s best-known TV series including “Sandglass” (1995) and “The Legend” (2007) -- Jin takes a huge first swing with a story revolving around teenagers meddling in prostitution and human trafficking. 

Even ahead of the two smash hits, TV dramas coming from new writers have continued to catch viewers’ eyes this year. TvN’s “Black Dog,” showing the competitive ecosystem of Korean private school teachers, came from rookie writer Park Ju-young, whereas financial crime series “Money Game” was the drama debut for veteran radio scriptwriter Lee Young-mi.

Some may pass off the glory to beginner’s luck, but most of the new scripts were not actually so new. Lee had won an award for his “Stove League” script from MBC in 2016, but had to wait almost four years until it materialized with SBS. During the hiatus, Lee focused on more research and interviews with related officials to add greater detail. 

Sometimes personal experiences became a source of creativity. Jin had revealed that “Extracurricular” was based on his own experience and thoughts as a teenager, whereas Park had written the “Black Dog” script from her three years working as a teacher. Lee, who had received critical acclaim for the realistic portrayal of economic bureaucrats in “Money Game,” stated that not only did she write the script based on her years of experience in finance shows, she also requested experts in the field to proofread the scripts. 

7C51A4B0-2076-4983-A0FD-9CB49CCF587F.jpg

"Kingdom 2" (Netflix)/ “The King: Eternal Monarch” (SBS)/ "A Piece of Your Mind" (tvN)

Stars shine bright, burn out

Several big-name actors, well accustomed with success, had their ups and downs. 

Ju Ji-hoon and Bae Doo-na made successful returns in the second season of zombie thriller “Kingdom” on Netflix. With the story helmed by star screenwriter Kim Eun-hee, the first season, released in January 2019, took the Korean zombie genre to the global level, and the second season was acclaimed as having outperformed the first by critics and viewers worldwide.

Korean sweetheart Kim Tae-hee returned to the small screen after five years with tvN’s “Hi Bye, Mama!” While this was her first appearance on TV since her marriage to singer Rain and giving birth to two children, the show failed to meet expectations boosted by Kim’s popularity and ended with a relatively low rating of 5.1 percent on its last episode. 

Worse for tvN came with romance-drama “A Piece of Your Mind,” starring Jung Hae-in. Despite Jung’s stellar popularity, the series maintained poor ratings of between 1 and 2 percent throughout its run and, in the end, was forced to reduce the number episodes from 16 to 12. 

Perhaps the most anticipated yet most disgraced was SBS’ “The King: Eternal Monarch,” starring Lee Min-ho. Coming from star writer Kim Eun-sook of “Descendants of the Sun” (2016) and “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God” (2016), Lee had chosen the blockbuster fantasy piece as his post-military comeback production. Criticisms on the farfetched story and poor acting by Lee and his counterpart Kim Go-eun, topped with excessive placement product, however, failed to impress viewers, as it finished with single-digit ratings.

By Choi Ji-won (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

• 5 months later...

6 suporting actors received awards for Stove League.

“Stove League” Supporting Actor Award Team Category “Ul-Keng”

#Ha Do Kwon #Jo Han Sun #Lee Jun Hyuk #Kim Soo Jin #Cha Yeop #Yoon Seon Woo

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/2020drama/clip/67481/OC453418803

Cho Byeong-gyu's impression of receiving a flower smile in the male category at the New Actor Award

I want Stove League to win the Best Drama or best writing award. We`ll see.

• Like 1

I was surprised by the best character award, but it's not unreasonable. Just something I didn't expect haha.

I'm happy Namgoong Min won due to Stove League. It's such a great drama. I do think he was the best candidate (from the dramas I watched). 

/Edit: sorry the video i posted was in my comments and couldnt delete it before posting

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Chae Jong Hyeop On His Reaction To Being Cast In Debut Drama “Stove League,” What Makes Him Smile, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 10, 2021
by S. P

Chae Jong Hyeop recently participated in a pictorial and interview for GQ magazine!

In the interview, the actor shared his thoughts on how he has processed the past couple years of his career. “Rather than dividing it into my first year and my second year, the time from my debut up until now feels like one chapter,” he mused. “It was a time where, after a lot of ups and downs, I was able to do what I love and gain experience.”

In the habit of setting small goals for himself, Chae Jong Hyeop mentioned that he had achieved those goals through his roles in “The Witch’s Diner” and “Nevertheless.” Although it took him four to five years to finally take on roles that had names, Chae Jong Hyeop said, “I think it didn’t happen too quickly or too slowly. However, I think I achieved the goals I had set for myself after my debut way too quickly. Because of that, my head is filled with thoughts about my next goals.”

He added, “I’m someone who thinks a lot, to the point I’m unable to sleep. Even if I exercise three times in one day, or run to the point of exhaustion, I still can’t sleep.”

When asked what he does when he can’t sleep, Chae Jong Hyeop replied that he goes for solitary walks and tells himself not to think while looking up at the night sky, a habit that he began when he was studying abroad in South Africa. He reflected, “I was young, and in a place where I couldn’t communicate. I figured if I couldn’t control my mind, I wouldn’t be able to last there. That’s when I first went to the gym to start walking and exercising.”

Chae-Jong-Hyeop-2.jpg

Although Chae Jong Hyeop used to work as a model, he revealed that he was drawn to acting since he found the process of expressing emotions through his given lines to be appealing. An emotion he was able to experience for the first time through acting was that of winning the lottery. “It was when I acted a scene of winning the lottery in ‘Sisyphus: The Myth.’ It’s a feeling you don’t know unless you experience it yourself. I acted while believing that what I was feeling was real.”

Chae Jong Hyeop said that he would probably just be in a daze if he did win the lottery one day, although it’s also what debuting as an actor felt like to him. He shared, “When my agency contacted me to tell me I was being cast in ‘Stove League,’ I thought they were joking at first. But it was really happening. I called my parents first with a shaking voice, so they asked what had happened. The tears just came pouring out.”

Chae Jong Hyeop mentioned a scene in “Stove League” where his character talks with Yoon Byung Hee‘s character at a meat restaurant as the scene he watched the most. “It wasn’t included in the episode and was released as a separate clip. I watched it a lot. I’m just attached to it,” he explained. “The script seems to insinuate my own reality, but I’m not drawn to it because of that. It just remains close to my heart for no reason.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1492746wpp/chae-jong-hyeop-on-his-reaction-to-being-cast-in-debut-drama-stove-league-what-makes-him-smile-and-more

• 5 months later...

9 Sports-Themed K-Dramas To Add To Your Watch List

Mar 15, 2022

Even if you’re not into sports, K-dramas do a great job of making it interesting. With a mix of romance, heartfelt OSTs, and eye candy, even the sports-themed K-dramas are able to win your heart over. Here are nine sports related K-dramas to add to your watch list!

1. “Stove League

stove-league.jpeg

Namgoong Min stars as Baek Seung Soo, a new general manager who must do his best to overturn the losing streak that the baseball team Dreams has had to endure for far too long. They are in last place, and Seung Soo is hired to try and improve their team, but he does far more than this. He challenges the higher-ups and pushes them to make decisions in order to create the perfect team that can win a championship. The series also stars Park Eun Bin as Lee Se Young, the operations manager who has devoted her life to the team.

There is something so nostalgic and heartwarming about watching baseball flicks and shows, which is probably why “Stove League” really hits it home. The script also does a great job of drawing viewers in from the first minute of the series – apparently, a script based solely on a manager trying to better his baseball team can be very entertaining! The fact that it won Best Drama at the 2020 Baeksang Arts Awards proves just how much this drama shines. Even without the love story aspect, “Stove League” is a drama that will win your heart.

stove-league1-1.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1515607wpp/9-sports-themed-k-dramas-to-add-to-your-watch-list

• 2 months later...

“Stove League” Actor Lee Eol Passes Away

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

May 26, 2022
by S. Cho

“Stove League” actor Lee Eol has passed away.

On May 26, Lee Eol’s agency Starit Entertainment shared, “After battling throat cancer, Lee Eol passed away this morning.” The actor had been battling cancer since 2021, following the conclusion of his drama “Voice 4.”

Lee Eol has been laid to rest at Seoul Medical Center and his funeral will be held on May 28.

Lee Eol made his theater debut in 1983 and has since appeared in films such as “Festival,” “Waikiki Brothers,” and “Kim Ji Young, Born 1982.” He has also played supporting roles in dramas “Live,” “Voice 4,” “Stove League,” and “It’s Okay to Not be Okay,” among others.

Our deepest condolences to Lee Eol’s family and friends.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1528068wpp/stove-league-actor-lee-eol-passes-away