[Drama 2019-2020] Stove League, 스토브리그

larus

On 12/28/2019 at 5:56 PM, joccu said:

I found it intresting that the woman reporter asked the last question.

Is it even possible to Robert go to military bc he is now American citizen?

If he has American citizen, I think he doesn`t have to enter military.

16 hours ago, chasen8888 said:

I also found it interesting as to the term "priorities" and double standards which was explained by BSS in the press conference regarding the player's not doing military service.  I also agree with the player's choice being that his wife was critically ill at the time, it would be unjust for the public to blame her for the cause of what he did.  That was loyalty to his wife and he being a man, he represented his country in a different area 4 times, got injured and they (public) were not loyal to him.  Plus they cannot blame the wife for having an illness, it shows gender discrimination and the view of the society that women's health issues are less of that of men.  Her health issue was legitimate and very serious unlike the son's of the CEO's

"supposedly high blood pressure" and politician son who is already spoiled, the military service would have done those more good than the player who is mature and knows how to work hard.

Robert (I will call him that because I forgot his Korean name. Chang Ju? ) is a good man. He made a mistake but he was young and he panicked. He was in a bad situation and I wish the Korean autorities could have been more flexible and alowed him to postpone the military enlistment. I felt so sorry for him when he said that he can`t enter in Korea anymore.

I understand  the authorities who want to discourage any attempt to avoid enlistment but sometimes I see them hypocritical. We heard of many exemples of potiticians or rich people`s sons who avoid just fine the enlistement but others receive a huge punishment.

Watching Robert`s story, I remember reading about an Korean- American singer and actor who was banned from entering South Korea, becoming the only person in history to be banned from the country for acquiring another citizenship. He was accused that this way, he was evading the mandatory military service.  I search about his name. He is Yoo Seung Jun and  I find out that this year, after 17 years, he was alowed to visit South Korea. Finally.

• Like 6

Park Eun Bin And Namgoong Min Are Caught In A Tense Moment In “Stove League”

Jan 2, 2020
by S. Park
71625b99dc7f439d8196c4b8af334afd.jpeg?s=

Stove League” amped up the excitement for its upcoming episode with new stills!

On January 2, SBS released photos of Baek Seung Soo (played by Namgoong Min) and Lee Se Young (played by Park Eun Bin) discussing the details of their match.

In the stills, Namgoong Min gets into his car to go home when Park Eun Bin suddenly gets in the passenger’s seat without his permission for an emergency meeting between the baseball team manager and leader.

She looks at him straight in the eyes and tries to settle something with him. Namgoong Min, who had tried to remain steadfast, breaks his poker face to react with surprise before getting lost in thought. What is Park Eun Bin’s hidden card that brings this change in Namgoong Min?

Namgoong-Min-Park-Eun-Bin.jpg

A source from the drama said, “Namgoong Min and Park Eun Bin are sincere actors who thoroughly study their characters’ inner thoughts and stories rather than simply portraying a scene. They quickly immerse themselves into their characters no matter where they are and are doing a great job at filming. A hilarious, fastball story will play out in episode six, so please look forward to it.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1374935wpp/park-eun-bin-and-namgoong-min-are-caught-in-a-tense-moment-in-stove-league

• Like 4

“Stove League” Hits Personal Best In Ratings Once Again

Jan 4, 2020
by R. Jun

SBS’s “Stove League” has hit yet another personal best in viewership ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the January 3 broadcast of the drama recorded an average of 14.1 percent viewership nationwide, a notable 1.7 point increase from the previous episode. In its most-viewed minute, the drama peaked at 16.1 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1375117wpp/stove-league-hits-personal-best-in-ratings-once-again

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The drama is getting better and better. 

I like all the baseball talk and showing the procedures in the team management. But connecting it with personal stories is what can elevate it from just being a good "nice to watch" drama. The last episode was the best yet by far. The interview and how they woved it all together. Insightful and moving.

I loved the small scenes with Kim Jung-Hwa. I wish she didn't have such a minor role. Reconciliation would be such a good side plot. It almost frustrates me because it's so obvious :D She is even able to make him smile! I didn't even know his face could do that :D

Either way i hope there is going to be more. I am really intrigued what exactly happened between them.

And i was 100% sure that she still meets up with his brother. Cool little scene and fits in to the "you think you know everything about your close ones but you don't".

And tying that back to Lee Se-Young with that scene in the car where she helps him grow was a great touch as well. 

• Like 3

I knew that Seung Soo`s brother will aply at Dreams job and I was "disappointed' when another guy showed up instead. But I cheered when he finally appeared. :D

It was good that we knew more about Seung Soo and his brother`s story. As we assumed, Seung soo was feeling guilty because his brother`s accident and we found out why. I am glad that they really talk because the older brother walking with a guilty face around the younger brother was not helping the later. 

I am also glad that they showed Seung Soo`s girlfriend, Yoo Jung-In. I was wondering when we`ll see her again.

We even found out how Han Jae-Hee applyed for a job at Dreams. :D Ko se Hyeok has returned and I hope he did not want to get back at Dreams. He was fired because he did something wrong. I hope he still cares for the team and eventually all will work hard to have a stronger team.  I guess he could not returned at a better time, just when Kwon Kyung-Min wants to cut the salary budget for players. Some players signed with him as he started a management agency.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, larus said:

I knew that Seung Soo`s brother will aply at Dreams job and I was "disappointed' when another guy showed up instead. But I cheered when he finally appeared. :D

It was good that we knew more about Seung Soo and his brother`s story. As we assumed, Seung soo was feeling guilty because his brother`s accident and we found out why. I am glad that they really talk because the older brother walking with a guilty face around the younger brother was not helping the later. 

I am also glad that they showed Seung Soo`s girlfriend, Yoo Jung-In. I was wondering when we`ll see her again.

We even found out how Han Jae-Hee applyed for a job at Dreams. :D Ko se Hyeok has returned and I hope he did not want to get back at Dreams. He was fired because he did something wrong. I hope he still cares for the team and eventually all will work hard to have a stronger team.  I guess he could not returned at a better time, just when Kwon Kyung-Min wants to cut the salary budget for players. Some players signed with him as he started a management agency.

Isn't Yoo Jung In is his ex-wife? she somehow talk about marriage with Young soo. I'm glad she's show up too. is there any romantic relationship with Seung Soo and Le Se Young in character description before? At this time I just love their camaraderie as co-workers. And romantic relationship kind of not believable for me.

I love how the writer develop the female lead character. In the drama that focus about baseball and man somehow she make Lee Se Young shine. Kudos to Park Eun Bin who act like she totally know about baseball. lol. I just need her to stop smacking Jae-Hee whenever she please. It doesn't look cute anymore. And who just hit someone she doesn't know when they come for the interview after all?

I don't really like Ko Se Hyuk. I think he seem shady at first he show up and it appeared true. And I knew he will stir some problem after this what with Lim joining his management. 

• Like 3

Yeah it's his ex wife. I haven't read anything about a romantic relationship and it doesn't seem like it either. If anything a romantic angle for Lee Se-Young and her coworker. 

And yeah the smacking is weird. I guess it's supposed to be funny because she is a woman? I don't know. 

There are so many kdramas where office chefs smack their subordinates or scream around. 

Let's see where it goes with Ko Se Hyuk. I was pretty baffled to see that he just needed to pay back the money for that one case, gets fired and that's it. They even allude to how he has done it for years. Maybe now it will come up again and they do something about it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, yoeda said:

Isn't Yoo Jung In is his ex-wife? she somehow talk about marriage with Young soo. I'm glad she's show up too. is there any romantic relationship with Seung Soo and Le Se Young in character description before? At this time I just love their camaraderie as co-workers. And romantic relationship kind of not believable for me.

I totally forgot that she is the ex wife. I wish there will be a chance and they will be together again.

I don`t think they will start to show anything else than a camaderie between Seung Soo and Se Young. I don`t want to see a romantic relationship anyway. Yeah, it won`t be believable. Because this show is not a romantic comedy or a romantic drama so the spotlight are not the couples. I love how they developed the characters, and find out more about them through the baseball set up.

4 hours ago, yoeda said:

I love how the writer develop the female lead character. In the drama that focus about baseball and man somehow she make Lee Se Young shine. Kudos to Park Eun Bin who act like she totally know about baseball. lol. I just need her to stop smacking Jae-Hee whenever she please. It doesn't look cute anymore. And who just hit someone she doesn't know when they come for the interview after all?

I like how Se Young is liant between Seung Soo and the rest of the team. She is so passionate about baseball and Dreams and Seung Soo is the cold logic thinker. I think they are making a good team.

It looks like Se Young tone down a little the abusive behavior towards Jae Hee but I wish their relationship grow a little more and she will stop doing the smaking. Jae Hee worked hard all these years. He is not like the rich, spoiled guy from the beginning. I think she will realise that.

I laughed when Kwon Kyung-Min`s cousin joked in front of his cousin that they/ Dreams could win the championship. Yeah, they will win. So at least that`s what I hope. Not even Kwon Kyung-Min believes it. Let see their faces then. I love the underdog stories. The team with the least chance of winning will have their chance. I am rooting for them.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I just love how savage Seung Soo is with his clapbacks LoL. Goong Min just nails it (scenes) more with a poker face delivery which makes it more delightful to watch.:D  Ep. 06 was a dramatic one as he finally is able to confront the guilt he had for his brother's injury.. I'm glad he decided to recruit him as part of the team. I wonder who that lady is? Is she an ex? I get the feeling the superiors are trying to sabotage their own baseball team LoL.:P That they only see it as a meal ticket & nothin' more. Hopefully Seung Soo can change this. Lookin' forward to next ep.   

P/s:- Can Se Young just stop hitting Jae Hee already? Poor guy... it's so common in K-Dramas to see how they just smack people. It look painful as heck.

• Like 3

After that great episode 6 the new episode 7 was a return to normal form. Nothing special.

I am trying pretty hard to just ignore the dumb stuff with the owner but they are making it hard with how hard they push it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabbo said:

After that great episode 6 the new episode 7 was a return to normal form. Nothing special.

I am trying pretty hard to just ignore the dumb stuff with the owner but they are making it hard with how hard they push it.

I'm not watching Ep 7 yet but I think the owner in every sport club will have dumb stuff to do. lol. From what I saw and read especially in soccer/football club the manager maybe do most of the job, take fall for most of the mistake but it's the owner who truly has a power. Most of them not a sport person but a businessman so it's understandable they want a profit and money. :huh:

• Like 3

On 12/16/2019 at 12:44 AM, larus said:

Him taking pictures of his food before eating is the brightest side of his character so far. :D He is taking care of his brother. He reminds me of Lee Dong-Wook`s character in drama Life. I wonder if Seung Soo feels responsable for his brother`s accident.

Late to the party (as usual :lol:). Seeing the ratings sky rocket is always something that piques my interest.  Didn’t sign up initially because I know zilch about baseball.  Then I watched Ep1... and then Ep2... I am hooked.  There’s enough there not to have to understand the intricacies of baseball to get a handle on the drama politics and dynamics.  It’s fascinating... and yes Larus, it’s giving me all the Life vibes... Baek Seung Soo is President Gu... coming in and shaking up the tight knit fraternity at its core.  Learning on the job, dealing with conflicts... totally wrong footing them at every turn.  He knows how to play the people game... cold, calculating, exerting his authority but you know from the get go that he has a heart.  Female lead is like good hearted Paediatrician No-Eul,  she’s in her Dream job (pun intended) because her heart lies there (her dad and her look to be Dream fans from way back).  And throw in the paraplegic brother character just to cement it with Life parallels for me :lol:.  Sold.  Yes that picture taking of food before he eats is an interesting quirk.  I need to play catch up.

• Like 3

I want to know what happens next. Kwon Kyung-Min and Ko Se-Hyeok wants to make things difficult for Baek Seung-Soo.

And Ko Se Hyeok really wants to get Seung Soo`s job in any conditions? Why he is so sure that there will be the team next season? Dreams can`t be in the league losing all the time. They already wanted to cut the budget for 30 %. Ko Se Hyeok will be a manager to a ruin. He did not realise how Kwon is using him, that he doesn`t want to be a team for next year? "Blind" fool and greedy!

I liked the scene where Kang Du-Ki was asking Ko Se Hyeok want happened with his former self. He became pathetic bad.

I also liked how Se Young put  Seo Yeong-Ju in his place at the end of the episode. It was the first time I wanted her to puch somebody. :lol: She did not hit him but she was fierce telling the insolent player that he crossed the line first. And he is drinking alcohol after visiting the hospital? Totally irresponsible. His ego is too big!

I think Jang Jin-Woo won`t retire yet. I know the next salary is not much but he will play for Dreams before retirement if they will want to win the championship. I can`t see that he loves playing baseball and for a old player, sometimes the money are not priority. He wants to retire right now because he thinks at his family and wants to earn more money for them but I think Seung Soo will make him chance his mind. We`ll see. 

I know I am not thinking as a capable manager, but I wish all the insolent players go from the team and people who really wants to play baseball, and do the best for the team to stay and, why not, to get a better salary if they will sell the othersand make a little profit.

I can`t wait to see what Seung Soo will do next time. He is meeting the Pelicans`s general manager, Oh Sa-Hun and it looks like he is looking for other players. I hope he resolves the new crisis soon.

• Like 2

If the management wanted a puppet, why even bother hiring Seung Soo in the first place!?:crazy: They could've run the Dreams Team into the ground themselves instead.:angry: Good on Se Yong bravo.:D She's done playin' nice, the players are such a bunch of misogynistic brutes.:P      

• Like 1

Feel pity for the player with budget cut. So I Google and exchange the currency to USD and my country currency still tonnes of money. lol. 

I scream internally for Jang Jin Woo. Isn't Seung Soo state in the meeting that he need to know his worth or is he talking about someone else? I scream fight it, demand more, they'll give you. And kudos to Doo Ki. And I really like if him smack some sense into that Se Hyuk.

14 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

If the management wanted a puppet, why even bother hiring Seung Soo in the first place!?:crazy: They could've run the Dreams Team into the ground themselves instead.:angry: Good on Se Yong bravo.:D She's done playin' nice, the players are such a bunch of misogynistic brutes.:P      

Agreed with you why they even bother hiring BSS if they doesn't want any change and win the next season. As if Ko Se Hyuk can manage a team with his scheming self.

Also what that old white hair ahjusshi do? What is his role in the management instead of leaking that owner richard simmons?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

If the management wanted a puppet, why even bother hiring Seung Soo in the first place!?:crazy: They could've run the Dreams Team into the ground themselves instead.

They wanted a professional who had the resume for disbanding teams with little fuss.  The company (Jaesong?) who owns the club probably is some big conglomerate with other businesses.  Bad publicity is to be avoided at all costs.  That’s why they hired SeungSoo in the first place.  They didn’t know how to do it themselves without raising the ire of long time fans or copping it from Netizens.  From what we know of SeungSoo, he can get it done (on the 3 previous occasions with the various teams - wrestling, handball, Hockey, he accomplished disbandment of the teams with very few repercussions).  The baseball club was bleeding money ($7billion won losses) regularly so they “hired an assassin” (for want of a better word).

Problem was, Kwon didn’t realize that SeungSoo’s modus operandi included taking them to championship level BEFORE the disbandment.  Or more likely, he knew of that fact but he didn’t think SeungSoo would be unflinching about it.  Kwon made it clear that he was really only after disbandment of the club.  He didn’t factor in SeungSoo’s adamant stance on taking them to the championship beforehand.  When the penny dropped for Kwon, he realized that it would be an impossible task to disband if Dreams actually won the championship.  With a franchise as big and with a fandom as passionate as baseball’s fraternity, it would be splashed all over the news and there would be a massive public outcry with the disbandment after taking the championship.  The previous teams’ disbandment didn’t rate much of a mention because none of those sports had that sort of public support/backing.  Wrestling, Hockey  and handball?  Their fandoms are small and there’s no big bucks involved.  Baseball is like a religion in Korea.  It’s a massive money money machine with a fanatical following.  If SeungSoo succeeds in taking Dreams to the championship and rekindling hopes and dreams (pun intended) of fans thereby winning more fans, the underdog story...it would prove impossible to disband.

I am only up to Ep4 but judging from comments, it sounds like Kwon decided to bring Ko back to rock the boat and waylay SeungSoo’s plan to take the team to win the championship.

• Like 4

On 12/30/2019 at 1:35 AM, larus said:

If he has American citizen, I think he doesn`t have to enter military.

Robert (I will call him that because I forgot his Korean name. Chang Ju? ) is a good man. He made a mistake but he was young and he panicked. He was in a bad situation and I wish the Korean autorities could have been more flexible and alowed him to postpone the military enlistment. I felt so sorry for him when he said that he can`t enter in Korea anymore.

I understand  the authorities who want to discourage any attempt to avoid enlistment but sometimes I see them hypocritical. We heard of many exemples of potiticians or rich people`s sons who avoid just fine the enlistement but others receive a huge punishment.

Watching Robert`s story, I remember reading about an Korean- American singer and actor who was banned from entering South Korea, becoming the only person in history to be banned from the country for acquiring another citizenship. He was accused that this way, he was evading the mandatory military service.  I search about his name. He is Yoo Seung Jun and  I find out that this year, after 17 years, he was alowed to visit South Korea. Finally.

Yes, I think this is a reference to the Yoo Seung Jun situation.

Yoo Seung Jun is accused of having become a US Citizen solely for the purpose of evading military service. Because before he became a US Citizen, he said in interviews that he WILL NOT do that, and he will proudly serve. But then he deceived the public and became a naturalized US Citizen. So it's that deceit that was a big problem for him, not because he became a US Citizen.

He was hugely popular, and his career tanked and he never recovered from that.

Robert Gill in this story did the same thing, but that was because his wife was seriously ill and needed him to be her support. He felt like he couldn't leave her for two years while she was struggling with serious disease. So he did also become a US Citizen in order to evade military service. Obviously his motivation is different but that's why he expects the public to be angry with him.

As far as whether he may serve in the military NOW, what that means is that he is expected to RENOUNCE his US Citizenship and become a Korean citizen again, and whether he's willing to do that.

An example is singer Eric (Shinhwa). He emigrated to the U.S. and got U.S. Citizenship, but renounced his U.S. citizenship and served in the Korean military. He is no longer a U.S. citizen, he's a Korean citizen.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Fabbo said:

I suggest not thinking too hard about the business side in this drama

I would like to avoid that too.  But I feel like this is precisely what SeungSoo will use as his trump card.  The conglomerate (Jaesong ?) which owns Dreams only speaks in monetary terms. You have to talk their language.   If SeungSoo turns Dreams into a financial windfall for them instead of the money pit that it is now, they will have no choice but to keep the club running, in fact they will welcome it.  It would not make financial sense to disband a money making enterprise.  That would be his selling point.

• Like 3