[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

@serenilmauve @AsveriaPSJ 

OMG GUYS IM SORRY. I feel like i just want to disappear right now :lol::lol::ph34r::vicx:

I deserve your scolds :joy::tired:

Danbam IG updates

Btw, i tried to translate an interesting article below. Sorry if there are inaccuracies in my translation. Feel free to correct :)

SHOWBOX'S "FIRST CHALLANGE", DRAMA ITAEWON CLASS "BIG SMILE".

Corona19 is hitting the entire film industry but Showbox, one of the major investment and distribution company is trying to manage the score. Itaewon Class, the first drama to be produced, which has recorded high ratings, signaling a "high return".

According to an industry source on the 3rd, Showbox signed a contract with Itaewon Class culture industry company in September 2019 and attracted 12.8 billion won for Itaewon Class production cost. This is equivalent to 19% of Showbox's 2018 revenue of 68.5 billion won. Considering that it is a 16 episode drama, 800 million won is spent per episode. 

Currently the viewership of Itaewon Class which has been aired up to 10 episodes, continues to rise. Itaewon Class, whose first episode started with 5%, followed by 5.3% (ep 2), 8.0% (ep 3), 9.4% (ep 4), 10.7% (ep 5), 11.6% (ep 6), 12. 3% (ep 7), 12.6% (ep 8), 14% (ep 9), 14.8% (ep 10) and so on, shows its potential to rise by about 1% each time. 

In particular, the gap with the second-largest program is more than doubled as it sweeps the prime time of Friday-Saturday's program. Although it is a re-run, the gap is about twice that of TV Chosun's Tomorrow Mr. Trot (7%), which is making a splash by recording 30% viewership ratings on weekdays. Itaewon Class is estimated to have an average of more than 3 million people watching every episode.

Showbox is expected to be able to reap a good return with Itaewon Class. Showbox said, "With the improvement in viewership, the breakeven point has already exceeded, and we will disclose how much additional revenue will be generated afterwards." As 12 billion won must be used as a cost of sales (net production cost) under the contract of 12.8 billion won, sales related to Itaewon Class in local market are now at the stage of generating net profit. 

The profit structure of the drama is divided into large-scale broadcasting rights, overseas broadcasting rights, indirect advertisement (PPL), and sponsorship rights. It is a method of recognizing related sales to Itaewon Class culture industry company, which was jointly established by JTBC and Showbox, and then divides the net profit according to the ratio of investment. Showbox did not reveal the ratio. However, the company's sales of 12.8 billion are expected to be included in sales. If the additional rights, advertisements, and sponsorships expenses are settled in final calculation, net profit will likely increase. 

Itaewon Class is currently providing indirect advertising and sponsorship of high-end furniture, ultrasonic wave equipment, clothing, and part-time app applications. Considering that it is worth at least a few million hundred won per case, the additional revenue is expected to reach billions of won. On top of that, we can expect additional revenue from video streaming service (OTT). Currently, Itaewon Class provides contents to Netflix and TVing.

Netflix pre-signs the copyright and then enters into a content contract in a way that takes all global copyright revenues except domestic. An industry insider said, "it is an attractive platform for production companies because it gives 50-70% of copyright fee of the original production cost in advance and enters into a contract." In this case, it is expected that Itaewon Class will be able to collect up to 8 billion won or more from copyright fees. In the case of TVing, the fee-based payment and individual VOC purchase revenue are calculated at the rate '6 (broadcaster) to 4 (TVing)'.

Studio Dragon's "Goblin", which averaged 20.5% of viewership in 2018, generated sales of 24.2 billion won, of which about 10 billion won was recognized as a net profit. Skycastle, which aired on JTBC and had a 20% viewership, earned more than 7 billion won in VOD sales alone.

Showbox is expected to be able to diversify its profit structure with the success of Itaewon Class. Just like CJ ENM, a top-tier group in its industry, has divided its drama division into Studio Dragon with its hits like  "Crash Landing On You," "Mr. Sunshine" and "Goblin." It is analyzed that it will be able to add Showbox's drama portfolio after the success of Itaewon Class. 

Currently, Showbox is planning to produce four more dramas after Itaewon Class. "Itaewon Class is getting good feedback right now, and we are looking forward to a rise in sales as a result," a Showbox official said. "The current four dramas are in the process of scenario development, and the plan is to air at least one drama per year as a first-visit goal early next year."

source

m.thebell.co.kr/m/newsview.asp?svccode=00&newskey=202003031236480160104333

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

@Anjalifairy

Thank you so much for the article! Very insightful. Showbox 1st venture into drama making, which is interesting since theyve been known to produce films only. IC definitely has a cinematic/film quality to it.

The camera work is really nice. SBox spent approximately 10million on the show, which is warranted due to its production stage, cast of actors, location, production team/crew, set designs, costumes, etc., although I'm quite suprised by that number.

I wonder how shows make profit besides viewership/VOD? I wonder if the VOD for Itaewon is high in SK? Studio Dragon is a fantastic tv company. Goblin was a huge hit internationally with high demand-streaming. TVN spent about 33 million on Mr Sunshine but I'm not sure how it fair overseas athough it was popular in SK as it aired. 

I think IC has a chance hitting 16%/18% this week. It was able to hit the 14%/16% mark on the 10 ep. Maybe by the 12th ep. it will reach that mark if the viewership/

expectation surges high tomorrow.

@Whisper2

I'm excited to see how she looks in the timeskip. I approve of JYS in more skirts/feminine attire lol. Although it's not that she wasnt wearing any before, she tends to layer her outfits alot. I want to see a mature appearance of her since shes going to have all black/longer hair.

• Like 3

plus to my post tvxq’s yunho also shared photos from his parody and visit to itaewon class filming locations.

i’m sharing all those stuff about idols watching itaewon class,because i think it actually shows how popular it is^_^in my opinion^_^

• Awesome 4

@greenwatch08

The network sell the ad times to sponsors. Based on ratings, sponsors can estimate how many people will see the commercials if they buy air time during the show. So they make profit through advertising. That's all i know. Correct me if i'm wrong ^_^

@serenilmauve

Is that The Vane's song the one they put on one of the teaser and also the one at the end of ep 9? I'm excitedly waiting for it to be released B)But judging by the snippet in ep 9, the lyrics seem to be in english but the title is in korean (?) 직진= straight :joy:

@emollienime

Hey thanks for the posts ^_^ I knew that this drama will be iconic from various sides such as famous quoteworthy lines (even rapper Bewhy made Park Saeroy's famous lines into lyrics), actors' unique style (hairstyling, clothing), and of course the filming locations (i saw a lot on IG people do thing like Itaewon Class tour, visiting its filming locations :lol:). Glad many people including idols are enjoying IC as much as we do here 

Spoiler

202003061529727157-1-20200306153710401.j

Cr. Naver

All i can see is pain :heartbreak: Should i get my tissue ready :joy:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, AsveriaPSJ said:

Hey, look guys, they finally made it reality)) Taehyun talked so much about wanting to sing an OST :joy: 

Holy crap.

Army will boost the drama rating even more!

20% incoming??

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, AsveriaPSJ said:

Hey, look guys, they finally made it reality)) Taehyun talked so much about wanting to sing an OST :joy: 

Wooga squad :heart:

He's been too obvious with his desire to sing the OST even before the drama aired. And production team isn't deaf :joy: I mean, they know a world star wants to participate in his big bro's project. Why not?? So here they grant his wish. It's gonna be da bomb for the drama

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 2

5 minutes ago, Anjalifairy said:

He's been too obvious with his desire to sing the OST even before the drama aired. And production team isn't deaf :joy: I mean, they know a world star wants to participate in his big bro's project. Why not?? So here they grant his wish. It's gonna be da bomb for the drama

And he wrote 3 songs all by himself. With the buzz, i hope it reaches number one on charts and gets All kill. I mean why production will not allow someone close to park seo joon as well a world star with millions of fans who wanted to sing for drama ? Its win win situation.

• Like 1

TV REPORT | 2020. 03. 06. 1:03 AM

V (BTS) to sing OST for best friend Park Seo Joon's drama "Itaewon Class"

97071AD4-53F5-44B8-902C-FD331FB259C1.jpg

Photo = TV Report DB

V (BTS) will perform an OST of the drama "Itaewon Class".

According to TV Report on March 6, V has joined the line-up of singers who perform OSTs for "Itaewon Class" (JTBC). His desire to sing an OST for this drama once shared on the fan community app in January has become true.

V and Park Seo Joon - the male lead in "Itaewon Class" - are typical best friends in the artist world. The two started to get close when co-starring in the drama "Hwarang" (KBS2) on air in 2016.

At that time, V featured in the OST "Even If I Die, It's You" of the drama "Hwarang" alongside Jin. As such, after 3 years, he has once again joined a drama OST.

Along with the drama, "Itaewon Class" OSTs have been highly loved when featuring such singers like Yoon Mi Rae, Ha Hyun Woo, Kim Feel, etc.

TV Report = Reporter Park Hyun Min gato@tvreport.co.kr 
Photo = TV Report DB 
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive 
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

——

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Deepakmahajan said:

And he wrote 3 songs all by himself. With the buzz, i hope it reaches number one on charts and gets All kill. I mean why production will not allow someone close to park seo joon as well a world star with millions of fans who wanted to sing for drama ? Its win win situation.

Exactly. In V's case, whatever he makes, it will undoubtly become hits. I'm sure the song will top the chart as soon as its released. You know their fanbase is incredibly huuuuge. And the drama is already popular as well. But with this collaboration, big thing + big thing, it will create even more buzz. So yeah, like you said it's a win win situation ^_^

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anjalifairy said:

I think with both V and BeWhy is their own desire to be part of the drama in some way made in possible to production crew to add them as OST singers. Why I feel like they both could’ve been the first one to approach production company and ask for OST collaboration?)) 

Happy, that V will be part of our IC family :smirk: Soompi is reporting, that he is still in discussion and they still coordinating, but at this point I think it’s a 98% done deal :grin:

@serenilmauve When I first hear instrumental for this song in teasers... I didn’t expect it sound like this with lyrics :smiley: 

• Like 3

I think BeWhy’s song not for drama really (but maybe it will be featured too in some moment), but mostly for webtoon promotion, which is why it’s pushed by Kakagopage and Daum. 

Because tomorrow we will have new OST by Crush 

Spoiler

• Like 1

This site is great.  Many contributors and i loves those fan art.  I really like this drama.  Park Seo Joon chose a great project.  :)

I read some comments in Dramabeans recap and have some thoughts of recent episode which may differ from some viewers here.

I dont agree that SY pushed GS to want to work for his dad so he can have her.  She is a very frank person and her conversation with him at that moment is very true and cut throat.

To me it is SRY that make GS realise that maybe if he is determined and selfish maybe he can have her.  Just like SRY determination to bring Jang down.  He admired that spirit.  A "nobody" can shaken his dad empire.  Someone that he thought will never be able to go against.  Which means he can be determined to take over Janga from his dad and maybe at the same time win the girl whom may not find any love from SRY.

Him keep asking SRY about how he feels also determine whether his goal might work.  He knows SY may also knows SRY may not like her but she is determine to fight for his love.  If SRY confirmed he does not see SY as a woman, GS will be confidence to fight.  Well, love feelings can change due to situations as our wise SY said.

That quote applies to SRY.  He is very determine he likes SA.  I am very sure of that.  But he never yet to move to I love you.  Also kind of weird.  He treat this relationship very casual.  "It depends on you".  When you are madly in love with someone, will you do that??  Dont know.  My brain is not SRY.  On the outlook, he is the best supporting boyfriend for SA.  She can be a career woman all she wants and still have a loving boyfriend after work.

But he is so worried he will loose SY.  He is so concern of how she feels.  He even get upset when she is not same page as him.  He is even selfish enough to keep her by his side when he knows he just obstructed her opportunity to be in college.  I am 100% sure he thought that he dreamt that SY kiss him.  Keke!

He is unsure what kind of feeling is this.  It is unfamiliar because he is very sure he only likes SA.  He will be asked twice about how he feels about SRY.  He will definitely think this feeling is because he has a great friend, comrade and business partner.  Hai... so SY is going to be very heartbroken.

But SY is SY.  I think we will see how she will rebound back and continue to fight for her determined successful love.

I agree dramabeans after thought.  SRY and SY are so polar opposite and yet very single minded about their goal.  :)

• Like 4