[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Aaahhh after a long episode focusing on the patients (I thought this last eps would focusing more on the doctors life), I feel happy for dr.Ahn decision. It made me smile.

But when I watched the last scene, I suddenly had this bad feeling. I think, is she going to ask to get back into dr.Yang family (because of inheritance?) It's gonna be additional plot for season 2.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

But ep.11 is still in October if I remembered correctly. 2 months is plenty of time to reconsider his next step. This drama does the time jump a lot without clearly giving the time stamp. Anyway, his hesitation has been shown since the very beginning of the drama. If he was so certain about it, he wouldn't have waited so long and keep postponing and postponing going to the seminary.

Yes, I think this is my personal big issue with this drama. The unclear time set sometimes make the plot did not flow smoothly and I, as viewer, feel a bit hard to connect with the plot in narrative way (like Iksun's discharged after being hospitalized and Ikjun's divorce). But I respect this writer's style, and since she has created many amazing storylines and relatable characters in this drama, I can disregard this flaw :).

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

:lol: I am still quietly paddling my FlowerGarden canoe.  I have replied to you in a message.

Personally, I think it will be a jerk move for Jeongwon's character and cruel treatment for Gyeowool's character, if in next season the writer make Jeongwon's heart sway to another girl, e.g: Songhwa.

I can understand why some fans ship Flower Garden because both Jeongwon & Songhwa have many similarities in personalities and they have the unspoken strong bond. But I think the writer want to portray their relationship in realistic way (like Junwan said, not all man-woman relationship are viewed as romantic way), and I love how the writer portrayed the beautiful of their pure platonic dynamic. The conversation between Jeongwon & Songhwa in Ep 12 is very beautiful and heartwarming that I can feel their precious friendship. But I fully respect your different opinion, because after all this is just drama, and we have freedom to interpret the story in different view :).

• Like 20
  • Love 1

All I have to say is;; I freak it love it....all the season was magic. I would definetly go back and see all the episodes again. It is going to be a loooong time waiting for next season...but I have tjmjis season to watch while I wait foe it. Thank you everyone this time here reading all your post has been amazing. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:
Spoiler

Please indulge me but I am really chuffed and I feel so vindicated. And relieved. It was never my intention to become some kind of advocate for the WinterGarden duo but I just felt compelled to defend the writer and PD's vision as was being shown on screen. I am thankful that the season ended the way it did because that uncertainty has been eliminated unequivocally (sealed with a kiss to boot) and we can go on enjoying the drama for what it is because it is a beautifully made feel-good medical drama with a fantastic cast of actors. 

The Winter Garden was never a theory for me. There was never any other possibility of anyone else. There was no inherent narrative logic for it. It was something the writer was doing right from Episode 2 first laying the foundations and then building it bit by bit along the way. There was very little doubt since 9 IMO that it was a done deal except for the question of when. The struggle for Jeong-won had to be real otherwise the priesthood matter would be completely pointless. They did a pretty hard sell of the internal tug-of-war. On the one side, we are told it's a lifelong dream. His siblings are all religious celibates. He'd finally made application. On the other side, nobody wants him to be a priest, not even his brother who is a priest. Then he meets Dr Long Winter, the wildcard and his world goes a bit topsy turvy. 

Once they ushered in Rosa... there was really no going back.

Whether Jeongwon was staying or going was always the big question of the S1. In one form or another, it seemed to me, the answer was forthcoming. Of that I was reasonably confident. You could argue that he chose to stay in medicine or you could say he did it for love. I choose to think it was for both because of what he said to Song-hwa... that there was someone he wanted to tell first about his change of heart before telling the others. That the confession and the skinship all happened in his office is very telling and confirms what I've been saying here and elsewhere. He was wearing his everyday gear and she was in her work uniform. What we saw there was an intersection of the personal and the professional. She'd entered into his world, his space now... utterly and intimately. On Christmas Day which is celebration of Jesus the Saviour's birth, when the Son of God became a man... a new relationship is born in that office. Irony of ironies. When he reaches over and kisses her the priestly aspirant demonstrates that from this moment he too will live like an ordinary man with ordinary passions. In his Winter Garden.

This is in deliberate and sharp contrast to the end of Episode 6 and the beginning of 7 when she waited outside his office to ask him out. The clothing template was the same. He was in his everyday apparel while she was in uniform. But on that occasion he turned her down because he was a man with divided priorities. That was proven in the ER flashback scene. He did care very much and he was really worried. So much so that he ran. (Like the way she ran after the DV Dad) But he couldn't go all the way to her then because it meant crossing a line he wasn't ready to at the time. I think he had a sense if not an inkling of his own dilemma even then.

It's not difficult to see why YYS fanservices the WinterGarden dynamic at any given opportunity because he knew/knows that this season is in large part about him and that he has his own romance developed for his character arc. He knows, I suspect, that he got a pretty good deal out of this. I know we all have our own views on this. But for me, this is his role of a lifetime. 

There's something really special about the way he looked at her as he touched her head, her face and neck. As if to say that he was sorry that he had made her wait for so long and that she carried the burden of this all by herself.  When he kissed her he let it all go, setting the both of them free. What a superb performance by YYS.

As for Jun-wan, I speculate that Ik-sun might be headed home hence the return package. She's coming home and she wants him to give her the ring himself. They could have been foreshadowing that when she was outside the ER exit at 2am talking to him on the phone. 

Anyway, this is purely speculative on my part. I was wondering the whole time if Ik-jun or anyone was going to show up and surprise them when they were smooching outside the exit. :D I was on the edge the whole time so I couldn't really enjoy it.

But yeah... good stuff for the Bachelor and the Virgin. Now I wonder who's going to walk down the aisle first. ;)

(I will get to the other stuff later)

Wow I concur with every word you wrote. I don't get into shipping wars coz I believe everyone has the right to ship whoever they want. (On a side note, always felt that who you ship is also a reflection of your own personality - I don't like Tsunderes and so while I loved Junghwan in Reply 1988, I didn't ship him with Doeksun. I instantly liked Taek as I fell for Chilbongie in R1994). And while I quite like Flowergarden (coz I just love the actors and their characters), too many people have turned to piling on hate for Jang and Ikjun. As far as the writer-director are concerned, Winter-garden is the canon ship. They were the ones that have had a slow built up since Ep2. Too much dissection takes away from the explicit development of charcters that's been shown week after week. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, winnerrrrrrrr444 said:

From my viewing experience, I did get caught up in the romance aspect of the series (didn't we all? :phew:) but Episode 12 pulled me back and reminded me that at the end of the day, it's a story of doctors and patients, their triumphs and struggles and the little bits of their life in between. I don't watch a lot of medical dramas but the ones I familiarized myself with don't put much emphasis on the patient's POV which made me appreciate this series so much more  :tears:

Couldn't agree more. I checked every spoilers in every platform just to make sure whether my ship sailed or sank, thus i could sleep peacefully before watching the whole episode the next day. But after watching it, i realized the first reason that made me fell for this series.

I just have to say it again, the production team is genius!!! Words can not express how i love every scene, every frame, every sound of it. They successfully used and combined every elements of cinematography and breath life to the story in a reallly beautiful way.

One of my favorite scene among many is the scene where it started with JW checking his little patient in PICU then continued to SHy reading medical journal, JWan in OR, SHw studying with her cervical collar on her neck, and ended with IJ preparing for his symposium presentation. It's just a sequence of scenes with no dialogue just a bgm that is so hopeful (As I Live), but it worths a thousand words. About their love and dedication for their profession and how it brings hope to the people around them. 

Another part that i like in ep 12 is when Jae Hak told JWan about his worries. He'll soon be fellow doctor with bigger responsibilities. This job doesn't only require knowledge and skill, but also ability to make the right decision. In that decision lies someone's life and sometimes every second matters. This conversation made me appreciate this profession more, made me suddenly appreciate my brother more because as siblings, i only see him being his goofy cheapskate side, but never truly appreciate his other side that i don't get to see when he sees his patients.

And SHy conversation with IJ broke my heart. Everyone need that support system, especially when you grow older and getting more responsibilities. Although yes, friends can be one of that support, but in my own experience no one can beat a partner in life (spouse/gf/bf). In the end people have their own life, no matter how close you are to your friends or children, nothing can beat a support you get from your partner. So i hope SHy can open his mind and realize that he deserves the happines of loving someone and being loved. Maybe her ex wife will one way or another make him understand that the pain her wife went through was not his fault, and along with those pain came happy moments that she could cherish.

This Duo earned a new faithful viewers here. I will definitely check their every project. Reply series didnt really work for me, i dont know, maybe the timing was off when i watched so i couldnt really relate to it. But because of HP, i'm considering watching reply series again after i finish watching Prison Playbook (this one is also great by the way). 

Lastly shoutout to every wintergardener! We survived the crumbs now let's enjoy the feast to our heart content till the next season come!

• Like 12
  • Love 9

My thoughts for this series…

I must say that it has become one of my favorite series that I have seen. I did really enjoy it.

Sometimes we get carried away with stories that are beautiful but at the same time are fairytale like.

What I have love the most is the slice of life that you see in every episode. It reminded me that sometimes life is hard. You can have good times but also bad ones. Nothing is for granted.

Also, you get to see the amazing relationship of 5 people that have been close for 20 years and how they know each other very well. As you get to see that even oneself can’t truly know what’s inside, and need to go through a path that it can get rocky and painful.

Maybe you realize what you need to do or may be you don’t. Therefore, needing more time to get to the other side. But, you also understand that sometimes you’re not alone. It simply takes time. This not only applies to the fab 5, but also for other characters in the series. As you can see how they have been developing since episode 1.

The approach that the producer and writer used in this series for me it’s something I have never expected for a drama. Loved how they took things into context and start developing a story that is different and put it in a whole new level. In other words you got several stories in one.

I can’t deny the last episode took me for surprise at some point. For moments I was happy in others I just cried with the characters.

Sorry, I need to write it *giggles*... I was happy for the couple that I have been shipping since episode 2. I had so many possibilities in my mind on how they were going to end. But, oh boy! It surpassed my expectations. I think you know of whom I’m talking about. LOL!

Ahhh, I think that I can go sleep now. I’ll miss the sensation and urgency to get to Thursdays to see the drama... I guess we’ll need to have patience until June 2021.

Have a good night y’all! Btw, this was my first post in this thread. I don’t know why it took me so long.

• Like 8
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

One of my favourite scenes in this last episode is that of the expectant mothers sitting out in the lobby waiting for their appointment with Seok-hyeong. It harkened me back to a time when I was expecting one of my kids doing exactly the same thing on one occasion when the good doc was running an hour or more behind because he had been called in earlier in the morning to deliver a baby. It reminded me of what the obstetrician had said to me prior to that... "Childbirth is not an exact science". I adored what the showrunners did with setting up that scene and the build-up. The poor woman who miscarried... I imagine that would be considered a miscarriage of sorts and her heart-rending sobs echoing down the corridor. Nothing had to be said. All those restless expectant mums were stilled and silenced into compassion for her and possibly even shaken into gratitude for what they had. Being late was nothing compared to what the mother in her last tri-mester, sitting in the doctor's office was going through. She had just lost her child. They still had theirs. That was powerful television. 

This reminds me too of the couple that have been coming to see SH now for at least 3 sessions for fear of premature birth. The husband... what a change... from the first visit when he was a block of wood and in this episode he was a blithering mess. Sobbing away in utter relief... He was in a worst state than his wife when SH gave them the good news. A lovely reversal.

Another favourite scene of mine was when Jun-wan and Jae-hak went out into the garden get a bit of fresh air. That conversation portrayed their dynamic so perfectly. JH talked about his work issues. His realisation that medicine wasn't all about study. It was also about wisdom and discernment. JWan was so sweet and said that his door was open to him when he needed help. Then the tables turned when JWan asked JH for advice about his lovelife. The moment of hilarity came when JH said to JW in a JW sort of way that he was terrible at dating.

SH's dad was a right royal scumbag. Wow. He didn't even leave his mistress and their child any provision in the will. Even mum was shocked at his utter callousness.

Song-hwa was Obiwan Kenobi today. ;) She was the Sage of Yulje. The Listening Ear and dispenser of advice to all who come to her door. :D It was fun how she was so supportive of everyone from inter-departmental residents to Jeong-won. There was even a queue at her door. She's not just a neurosurgeon but a psychologist as well. ;) She caught on pretty quickly who that someone JW was referring to. "The Gyeo-ul/Winter we've been waiting for". I guess she was paying attention in Episode 9 when IJ was bragging about knowing residents from every department and he was having meals with all of them. Then JWon made a comment about JGU being busy. There's no doubt about it. She's a good listener and that's why she gives out sensible advice. She doesn't just listen to the words but meaning behind the words. IJ's confession was something she might have preferred not to have heard but I understood where he was coming from. He missed the boat once and he didn't want to have any regrets on that front again. 

People will disagree with me but when I look at her with the guys, I think that they are family. Maybe except for IJ they all look to her as a sister. I would even go so far as to say that JWon looks to her as an older sister. That certainly came through very clearly in this episode. I don't really see that romance is on the cards for her in the near future. She seems so self-sufficient and independent within herself. People are going to her for advice.

But for some reason she has a terrible ear for music. LOL. I just crack up every time she sings. And IJ reaction... :lol:

Band practice was wonderful as usual. We had harmony today. Nice that everyone took a turn singing. Yay! Despite a certain person going off-key. The raw eggs don't help at all. ;)

I'm too tired. Got up too early to watch the drama... Have to get a nap to survive the rest of the afternoon.

Wow. I was going to mention abt the husband of the patient with repeated miscarriages. I loved his development as well. The first time we saw him, don't know why but I felt that maybe he blamed her as well. Seeing him breakdown made me realise he was just holding back and being strong. So many feels :)

• Like 7
  • Love 4

“Hospital Playlist” Hits Its Highest Viewership Ratings With Finale

May 29, 2020
by R. Jun
754868fb75fb476083c177392cd83adf.jpeg?s=

tvN’s “Hospital Playlist” ended its run with a personal best in ratings.

According to Nielsen Korea, the drama, which steadily rose in ratings with each passing episode since its premiere, recorded 14.1 percent viewership for its finale on May 28, for a 1 point increase from its previous episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1403299wpp/hospital-playlist-hits-its-highest-viewership-ratings-with-finale

BTS

1Z2XTX81MF_1.jpg

https://www.sedaily.com/NewsVIew/1Z2XTX81MF

• Like 5
  • Love 3

JWon already decided to stay, with or without Winter asking him to stay.

Clearing out of his drawer, maybe will be a drawer like JWan

Requested SHwa not to inform others as he wanna let someone know about it 1st, and this someone is not his mum. because if is his mum, he would not said someone.

• Like 11
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 1

Reply 1988 left such trauma in me, I kept thinking the worst when watching the last episode. However I'd be satisfied with anything the writer and PD gave us because it is such a beautiful story to begin with. Please don't reduce this wonderful story about good people into a plain romance. It is more than that. You guys know better. I did this to Reply 1988 and I regret it every single time. I'm not going to do the same thing to hospital playlist. Anyway, I'm happy with how the last episode turns out. See you guys next year. Stay safe, stay healthy :)

• Like 6
  • Sad 1