[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

17 minutes ago, CallieP said:
37 minutes ago, CallieP said:

Yes, King is always first on the Netflix original while 2nd, 3rd etc. changes but they do not explain why it is that way though.

I see chocolate, Heirs, CLOY, Vagabond,  etc on trending every day not just one day so that is my frustration, why does it not stay on and was just shown on the day that I did not check. Actually I check after it shows e.g. Friday and Saturday but never see it trending or popular. 

https://www.netflix.com/browse

I wonder if you can see US Netflix from this link if you are not in the US. Scroll down to a little after "trending" and you can see Netflix Original, larger size picture  than trending or popular and LMH's handsome face.

@Joanna Alfson "I have seen under trending and popular. Is because when you already have it under watchlist or watching it dosent show in other sections and genres but in your watch area?"

That is an interesting concept but don't you have it on your watch list since you are watching it as well but you have seen it in those categories. ?

@CallieP To ease your mind, here it shows as Popular as of today under TV shows in US. 

OLBWCEq.jpg

• Like 10
  • Awesome 4

Swoon posted the love confession scene.

I can’t count how many times I’ve watched it already. It will never get old. My heart is still breaking. 

Because of this particular scene, I feel like the wait this week is extra long and torturing. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 10
  • Love 5

13 hours ago, Orientalfan said:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ce4g1ZY

Thanks...i learnt something new today.

I hope readers can see the difference of name cards that was in lee gon's 25 years safekeeping and the one that Tae Eul received at the police station  which was stolen from the palace

@Orientalfan  Thanks for the images.  What's interesting is that the one Lee Rim retrieves from the bookstore looks different from the one TE brought to the palace and the one LG returned to her.

ab3a3a494a15484797dc377c5ce70fbcfbab90e8

Spoiler

ade31732cb13e9ddb373e907db20bed465ca9393.png

Card saved by LG (front)

69201ca4e9d20c1fdd56062c579c255c37d52fc8.png

Card saved by LG (back)

4f2ac1619c0763826d345c12db74dc95eb52efa2.png

TE's new card (front)

7d2bab79856b0f35cf4c83747b6a71a31199fca5.png

TE's new card (back)

b97c42f556f0528c4aefc4dbebd48349ea2626c2.png

Card returned to TE from LG

ab3a3a494a15484797dc377c5ce70fbcfbab90e8.png

Card passed to LR

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

She wants to kill herself probably because of her guilt toward her son and family. She choose to keep silent and chose to live her life as now.

Despite all the material comforts given to her by LR (clothes, car, etc....), it came with this punishment --

"How pathetic you are. You’ve sinned by laughing once. And now, you can never laugh again."

Can you imagine living like that? No wonder she wants to die.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Despite all the material comforts given to her by LR (clothes, car, etc....), it came with this punishment --

"How pathetic you are. You’ve sinned by laughing once. And now, you can never laugh again."

I can understand why the doppelgängers fall into the hands of LR. The way he manipulates their emotions and twists it to his advantage is amazingly haunting :skull:

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Does it feel like they purposely are setting up something with LG's real mother?  They're being VERY careful to not show any history with his mother, he hasn't said anything other than he doesn't feel like his doppelganger mom is anything to him.  Initially I thought that maybe they were just going to handwave it with the rest of the plotholes in the first eps but as each hole gets filled with more genius writing, I feel like it's got to be on purpose!  It's only 6 years from when he was born to when his father died - no mention of his mother, any maternal family...nothing.  If she died, he seems awfully nonchalant about that when he lost his father so soon after.  If she's banished for some reason, then maybe his real mom joined LR secretly, and they won't mention her?  And there's so much buildup for doppelganger mom.  Or is his mom somehow involved in their fates intertwining?  I DON'T KNOW SEND HELP.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, mamabear said:

Another spoiler. DO NOT click if you don't want to be spoiled. 

Reveal hidden contents

Back to lurking :joy:

Is she wearing the same thing 

Spoiler

that she's wearing when Lee Go gives her the flowers?  Looks like the same outfit.

Which really confirms my theory that Lee Gon chose that point in time to go back and give her flowers and say "I Love You", because she dies shortly after that.

How far ahead are they in the filming schedule?  Are they still filming this weekend's episodes up to now?

Also, how do these spoilers get leaked?  Are spectators allowed during filming?

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

An article about Eternal Monarch from The Korean Herald and Yonhap News. Both of these are Korea news agencies. The article might give some understanding to why the drama is recieving lukewarm/cold(?) response from K-viewers.

----------------

Star screenwriter struggling with lower-than-expected popularity of 'The King'

SBS' fantasy romance "The King: Eternal Monarch" was one of the most anticipated TV series for the first half of 2020 in South Korea, for the reunion of star screenwriter Kim Eun-sook and actor Lee Min-ho.

-snip -

read full article here: http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200518000644 or https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200518004900315 
-end snip-

In "The King," however, such characteristics have failed to impress audiences. Rather, controversies over its historic scenes have undermined the reputation of the drama.

Experts point out that the series fails to fully explain the parallel universe to the audience, who also complain of the similarity of the two different worlds -- the Korean Empire and the Republic of Korea.

"It's a romance drama, but the love between the two lead roles isn't at the forefront," cultural critic Ha Jae-geun said. "The story unfolds at a relatively slow pace and the parallel world is too complex to understand."

At the same time, some people claim that they are distracted by excessive advertising through product placement in the drama as brand names or corporate logos are displayed too often and protagonists use the advertised products too frequently.

Also, the drama has been under fire for its Japan-like styles in some scenes. People noted that turrets of wooden palace buildings of the Korean Empire have some Japanese characteristics, and a Japanese vessel looked similar to a Korean warship in a maritime battle between the Korean Empire and Japan.

The producers of the show apologized for the controversy and promised to correct the scenes.

"It's hard to find some clever, creative conversations and catchy soundtracks in 'The King,' that the writer has presented so far," Ha, the cultural critic, said. "I think the show needs to focus more on romance and speed up the pace to attract more viewers in the remaining episodes." (Yonhap)

• Like 1
  • Unamused 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AgentQuake said:

Does it feel like they purposely are setting up something with LG's real mother?  They're being VERY careful to not show any history with his mother, he hasn't said anything other than he doesn't feel like his doppelganger mom is anything to him.  Initially I thought that maybe they were just going to handwave it with the rest of the plotholes in the first eps but as each hole gets filled with more genius writing, I feel like it's got to be on purpose!  It's only 6 years from when he was born to when his father died - no mention of his mother, any maternal family...nothing.  If she died, he seems awfully nonchalant about that when he lost his father so soon after.  If she's banished for some reason, then maybe his real mom joined LR secretly, and they won't mention her?  And there's so much buildup for doppelganger mom.  Or is his mom somehow involved in their fates intertwining?  I DON'T KNOW SEND HELP.

He has mentioned that he is an orphan.  Maybe the mother died when he was really young?  We've seen flashback scenes with the father but never with the mother so I think it's nothing more than the fact that she just died when he was too young to have a meaningful relationship with him.

And my opinion (which some here have endlessly shut down with opinions of their own) is that Ji-Hun's mother is there for a purpose, not just for showing us that Lee Rim's wants to punish her.  It's absolutely weird to me that they've devoted that much time (or build-up, as you say) to Ji-Hun's mother if her only purpose is to show us that Lee Rim wants to see her suffer.   To me, the build-up is not related to Lee Gon's mother, but to Ji-Hun.  Heck, we've had three scenes already showing us Ji-Hun's grave.  

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

9 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

It must be like hell. But suicide is never the right solution to escape it. It's her choice after all. I can't blame LR for what happens to her now. She betrays her own family by taking his side just to save herself. So I'm glad when LG reassured TE that SJH wouldn't affect LG in any way just because she would have the same face as his mom. He clarifies it very clear that they're two different people. I guess the one who will be much affected when the two finally meets is SJH herself. Because through LG she could see that's how her JH would look like if he didn't die back then. That I hope will give her a tiny hope to escape from LR's grip for good. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, gwin said:

And my opinion (which some here have endlessly shut down with opinions of their own) is that Ji-Hun's mother is there for a purpose, not just for showing us that Lee Rim's wants to punish her.  It's absolutely weird to me that they've devoted that much time (or build-up, as you say) to Ji-Hun's mother if her only purpose is to show us that Lee Rim wants to see her suffer.   To me, the build-up is not related to Lee Gon's mother, but to Ji-Hun.  Heck, we've had three scenes already showing us Ji-Hun's grave.  

100%.  We devoted a LOT of time to her in the premiere.  I really do think that everything in the first chunk of the premiere is all going to come back in the penultimate episodes, and we know now that a lot of scenes are shown twice, first in an abbreviated state, and then again to flesh it out (annoying AF if you ask me).  I think we're missing some stuff that happened in that week between the murder and the coronation.  She's also getting more and more mentions...there were a LOT of scenes that involved her this week, even if she didn't really physically show up.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, gwin said:

Reveal hidden contents

that she's wearing when Lee Go gives her the flowers?  Looks like the same outfit.

Which really confirms my theory that Lee Gon chose that point in time to go back and give her flowers and say "I Love You", because she dies shortly after that.

Not trying to be heartless, I've been saying that she's "D" repeatedly for who knows how many times in all this time looping. Only this round, LG mange to rush back to say what he did not in the past times. Love lives on regardless. :tears: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

53 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

Send help? No worry! I got you covered:

a50a87e864f75867740aff4186ca7864.gif

dfa4394a68e99454fd9c0505680c0264.gif

right now, this is the only method I know. My head already hurts from all the theorizing :joy:

• Like 5
  • LOL 11

6 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

100%.  We devoted a LOT of time to her in the premiere.  I really do think that everything in the first chunk of the premiere is all going to come back in the penultimate episodes, and we know now that a lot of scenes are shown twice, first in an abbreviated state, and then again to flesh it out (annoying AF if you ask me).  I think we're missing some stuff that happened in that week between the murder and the coronation.  She's also getting more and more mentions...there were a LOT of scenes that involved her this week, even if she didn't really physically show up.

Also the time period between the murder and when Lee Rim's doppelganger's body is discovered in Corea.  In that time period, the following things likely happened:

1.   The Shin Jae transfer

2.   Whatever it is going on with Ji-Hun's mom and Ji-Hun

Regarding scenes shown twice, I sometimes like them, I sometimes hate them.  The plot of this story is such that you cannot really lay it out completely linear.  For example, I feel like we will also get the expanded version of that last scene in Episode 10.   His voice over telling her not to worry and travelling at frozen moments in time...when exactly did he tell her that?

• Like 9

3 hours ago, gwin said:

Reveal hidden contents

How far ahead are they in the filming schedule?  Are they still filming this weekend's episodes up to now?

Also, how do these spoilers get leaked?  Are spectators allowed during filming?

They have 9 or 10 days left for filming (found this out via weibo) 

Spoiler

If she's wearing the same thing then how do we explain the different clothes she wore in ep 11 preview? Since ep 11 preview and this spoiler seems to match up in terms of events that happen, I think the clothes should be matching? But idk... 

Edited by blobbityblobbityblob
putting content into spoiler
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, 1ouise said:

@Orientalfan  Thanks for the images.  What's interesting is that the one Lee Rim retrieves from the bookstore looks different still.

Hide contents

Card saved by LG (front)

Card saved by LG (back)

TE's new card (front)

TE's new card (back)

Card returned to TE from LG

Card passed to LR

I think it may be the lighting that’s making the IDs look different.

I rewatched the first episode again when JTE and SJ were interrogating LL. JTE was wearing her ID tag where her hair was tied back (I think the first ID she had lost her hair was down). So this means the interrogation must be taking place after November 11, 2020.

When LL is talking, he’s speaking as though JTE and SJ don’t know anything about the two universes (which they should already).

So now I think LG fought LL, won and got the flute...

JTE previously mentioned that the 2 worlds should not mix. LG knows this too so he will probably have to close the gates or he will make the decision to live in the in between and basically be the keeper of the flute so it never falls into the wrong hands.

In episode 10, it talked about how there would be chaos if people in KOC found out LL was alive and has not aged. So then maybe LG transports LL to a place and time in ROK where JTE and SJ can catch him and punish him in ROK. This is the scene we see in episode 1.

If LG banishes LL from the KOC, LL will never be able to get his hands on the flute again or return to KOC.

Ahhh! So many thoughts in my head again! Lol

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, mamabear said:
5 hours ago, Hikki said:

JY is investigating the doppelgängers he crossed paths with, including SJ’s Mom whose doppelgänger works as a court lady. At this point we already know she’s a spy albeit a reluctant one, but we don’t know why LR brought him to RoK and even later admitted it was a mistake.

But JY didn't know who SJ's mom is on that particular scene.

@Heretorant I think JY was investigating SJ. LG mentioned before that LR might have needed SJ's real parents that's why he was brought to RoK. So JY was investigating SJ and probably went there to know who his parents are. That's the time he saw SJ's mom and realized that her counterpart is the palace lady. That's just what I understand, not sure if that is really the case though. :D

I concur

• Like 4