[Drama 2019] The Joseon Romantic Comedy: Tale of Nok-Du, 조선로코: 녹두전

marykarmelina

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, uglypearl said:

There's A Name Change In Male Protagonist's Character Name In Drama Version

Based On One Of Early Pages Of This Forum And Few Websites, In The Webtoon His Name Is "Lee Duk" And His Widow's Disguise Name Is "Jeon NokDu".

According To The Drama's Official Website The Male Protagonist's Character Name Is "Jeon NokDu" And His Widow's Disguise Name Is "Kim NokSun" (NokSoon).

Oh, why the name change though?

@vangsweetie637 ..yay~! Am glad you're here to watch this too, chingu :P ..yeah, I think this is also mostly romance because it's centered on the relationship between Nokdu and Dong Joo^^...

2 hours ago, lightbringer06 said:

Oh, why the name change though?

@vangsweetie637 ..yay~! Am glad you're here to watch this too, chingu :P ..yeah, I think this is also mostly romance because it's centered on the relationship between Nokdu and Dong Joo^^...

I haven't found out yet the reason why but I hope the press conference will explain to us the reason.

But I have a theory that NokDu is a prince and his original/real name is Lee Duk.

Based from sageuk dramas I watched,  the  princes in JoSeon dynasties have Yi or Lee (surnames .

Also I read in wikipedia that the monarchs of JoSeon dynasty came from Yi Household. 

It's also very possible that he's the crowned prince or the possible true heir of the throne and the baby that King GwangHae that he wants to be killed is NokDu (Lee Duk). 

@uglypearl I see. Have to wait for the press con then. 4 nights more to go :D

Yeah, I also learned that almost all the kings or royalties came from "Lee"  by watching lots of sageuk dramas. Which also explains why this surname is the most common in Korea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Watch: Kim So Hyun And Jang Dong Yoon Jokingly Compete In Battle Of Beauty For “Tale Of Nok-Du” Poster Shoot

Watch: Kim So Hyun And Jang Dong Yoon Jokingly Compete In Battle Of Beauty For “Tale Of Nok-Du” Poster Shoot

Sep 26, 2019
by M. Dang

KBS’s upcoming drama “Tale of Nok-Du” has provided a behind-the-scenes look at the cast’s antics during the poster shoot!

Based on a webtoon of the same name, “Tale of Nok-Du” is a historical rom-com about a man named Jeon Nok Du (played by Jang Dong Yoon), who disguises himself as a woman to enter a mysterious all-female community. There, he meets Dong Dong Joo (played by Kim So Hyun), a girl who wants to run away from her training as a gisaeng (female courtesan).

The poster shoot begins with individual shots of Jang Dong Yoon. He explains that he’s gotten used to being dressed as a woman because he stays like that for the majority of the drama, but he still hasn’t quite adjusted to the overwhelmingly enthusiastic reactions of the people around him.

He becomes embarrassed when the female staff tease him and says, “I don’t think I’ll get this kind of reaction when I’m dressed as a man.” Throughout the shoot, he is constantly showered with praise, with the crew commenting that he looks like a cosmetics brand model and that he’s so pretty, to which Jang Dong Yoon replies, “Please don’t say I’m pretty!”

Kim So Hyun is the next to go in front of the camera. She gestures over to Jang Dong Yoon and quips, “Our female protagonist is over there.” While monitoring the pair’s couple poster shoot, Kim So Hyun jokes, “It’s so annoying. [Dong Yoon] looks like an elegant lady.” Despite the competitive atmosphere, Kim So Hyun says she feels satisfied with how pretty she looks and is complimented by the staff.

The three main leads also show off their friendly chemistry as they look over photos from the shoot. Kang Tae Oh comments to Jang Dong Yoon, “You look like a lily. This photo is really nice.” They admire a photo of Kim So Hyun next, and Jang Dong Yoon teases, “Is there such a pretty person on the cast?”

10 hours ago, uglypearl said:

Like Jang DongYoon's Character NokDu, Yeo One's Character Gyu Hun Also Wasn't  Wearing Scarf When He's Disguising As A Woman.

(Ma Boy off topic:)

Spoiler

No, it was not an actual scarf but "her" own hair as a scarf. And to avoid being caught by his low voice, he never spoke. Absurd but funny.

maboy2-00128+copy.jpg

You can see Kim So-hyun kind of attracts cross-dressing boys...

3 hours ago, angrytomato said:
14 hours ago, uglypearl said:

Like Jang DongYoon's Character NokDu, Yeo One's Character Gyu Hun Also Wasn't  Wearing Scarf When He's Disguising As A Woman.

(Ma Boy off topic:)

Hide contents

No, it was not an actual scarf but "her" own hair as a scarf. And to avoid being caught by his low voice, he never spoke. Absurd but funny.

You can see Kim So-hyun kind of attracts cross-dressing boys...

I'm talking about is Yeo One (Member Of Group "Pentagon") who plays Gyu Hun (Gyu Hee In Fermale Disguise) In Joseon Beauty Pageant.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpgtumblr_p25hj6nWIv1snf6tqo4_400.gif

The one in drama Ma Boy is Kim SunWoong (Member Of Group "Touch")  who plays HyunWoo and his female model disguise name is Irene.

Spoiler

2015072813281594993_1.jpg48744720.4.jpg

The Difference Between Those Two Dramas Are Their Timelines Or Eras.

Joseon Beauty Pageant Is In Joseon Era And Ma Boy Is In Modern Times.

A Possible Reason Why Gyu Hun Wasn't Wearing A Scarf Or Anything To Cover His Adam's Apple Is Maybe The People In Joseon Era Are Not Yet Or Less Aware Or Less Knowledgeable Unlike The Modern Times. 

Perhaps It's Same Reason Why In Drama Tale Of NokDu, Which Takes Place In JoSeon Period, Jang DongYoon's Character Jeon NokDu Isn't Covering His Adam's Apple When He's Disguising As Widow Kim NokSun.

Director Kim Dong-Hwi, writers Lim Ye-jin, Bark So-yeon and original author Yang Hye-jin answered questions directly and raised expectations for the first broadcast.
-
Director Kim Dong-hui, "When I first saw the original story, I was impressed that the birth secret of Nok Du, dress as woman hid in the widow's village , the male lead and female lead who had a mother-and-daughter relationship. After many meetings with writers, I made an extended narrative with original characters that are not in original webtoon, such as Lin Gun, muwoldan, and yeoldandan. I tried to follow the charm of the original webtoon and tell a richer story. " The original author also said, “It was so fun when I first read the script. Throughout my reading, a picture of Nok Du and Dongju in the comics was drawn to the script. Readers who have enjoyed the original story, and those who are new to the drama, will be satisfied with it. ”
-
Kim Dong-Hwi picked out unusual characters such as the new space "Geumnam district, 'widow village' , man dress as woman, a short haired giseang, Joseon Yosenam (cook) and warriors in widow village ". Lim Ye-jin and Baek So-yeon added, "The extraordinary fun and freshness of the settings that reverse the existing image. It was a challenge and a new attempt to realize the male dress as female character in video." Director Kim Dong-Hwi said, "We focused on balancing between traditional and fusion historical dramas. The widows village and man dress as female are materials that have never been dealt with in traditional historical dramas. It was possible to look like a modernized fusion drama. I showed a picture that couldn't see with the material, but I tried to have a weight in the narrative that penetrates the entire play. ”

The unique characters of the world are the best attraction of 'Chosun Romcom Nok Du Jeon' and 'honey points. Lim Ye-jin and Baek So-yeon said, "Nok Du is a complicated character, a chic and pretty male dress as woman who has to show her cute and regal figure in her first love and the pain of conflicting with his destiny. "Dong-ju is unstoppable and lovely, but she hides her painful past and hurt inside. "" She expressed her special affection for Jang Dong-yoon and Kim So-hyun, who are raising their expectations with a unique 'manhwa tearing' chemistry. Kim Dong-Hwi said, "Because Nok Du is a character that has to cross between a woman and a man, both visual and acting were important. I felt Jang Dong-yun was the one when I first met!" Both writers mention, "While showing his charm, he is a smart actor who doesn't miss the moment as a wonderful and exciting man. " For Kim So-hyun, they expressed her unique belief that "Kim So-hyun is exactly the way we think of Dong-ju. She expresses various aspects of Dong-ju without missing or overflowing anything. Above all, from her eyes you can see she is a good actor that can trust ." Director Kim Dong-Hwi also said, "When I watched the original webtoon, I first thought of Kim So-hyun as Dongju. I worked on the script with Kim So-hyun in mind. As the narrative deepened through adaptation, I thought of an actor who had a wide range of stability and emotions and that's Kim So Hyun. When casting her, the writers and I cheered with joy. "
-
What about the sync rate of characters and actors seen by the original writer? Yang Hye Jin original author said, "The synchro rate is over 100%. Nok Du and Dongju in the webtoon seem to have appeared in reality. "I was impressed by expressing more than I imagined in their voice, facial expressions and gestures."
-
Confidence in the actors who will ensure completeness is absolute. Lim Ye-jin and Baek So-yeon writers, "Actor Kang Tae-oh is an actor with bright and affectionate appearance and modest sexyness. A pure man who has a love for Dong-ju even though it seems to be the same as the reverse charm, and will make Yul-mu, which hides cold charisma, stand out more.

cr: shirlley0604 -ig

@lightbringer06 So that's how he ends up in the widow village. 

Bwahahaha That woman throw him out like he was nothing lol:mrgreen::joy:. And the way he talked to that lady to give him a place to stay with his feminine voice :lol:. Not to mention, the expression on his priceless when DJ toasted him like that:joy:. This is gonna be hilarious:mrgreen:.

That article, poor JDY:joy:. He is gonna be stuck with this character for the rest of his life lol:mrgreen:

By the way, in the Press Conference, is he gonna dress up as a female or a male lol:lol:

Watch: âTale Of Nok-Duâ Gears Up For Premiere With New Preview + Points To Anticipate

Watch: “Tale Of Nok-Du” Gears Up For Premiere With New Preview + Points To Anticipate

Only four days remain until the premiere of “Tale of Nok-Du”!

Based on a webtoon of the same name, “Tale of Nok-Du” is a historical rom-com about a man named Jeon Nok Du (Jang Dong Yoon), who disguises himself as a woman to enter a mysterious all-female community. There, he meets Dong Dong Joo (Kim So Hyun), a gisaeng-in-training who is actually not very interested in becoming a gisaeng (a female courtesan).

The director Kim Dong Hwi, who has worked on dramas including “Fight My Way” and “The Merchant: Gaekju 2015,” commented, “The man disguised as a woman in the all-female community, the secret behind Nok Du’s birth, and the male and female lead developing a ‘mother-daughter’ relationship were points that stood out to be when I first looked at the original [webtoon]. The writers and I had extensive discussions to add aspects specific to the drama.” He explained that new characters will add more depth to the storyline.

The original webtoon artist remarked, “I found the script very fun when I first read it. I could picture Nok Du and Dong Joo from the webtoon moving as portrayed by in the script the entire time while reading. It is a drama that will satisfy both readers of the original webtoon and those who are seeing [this story] for the time through the drama.”

The production team then spoke about their casting decisions. Director Kim Dong Hwi shared, “The character Nok Du is a strong man who also disguises himself as a woman, so the visuals and acting were both important. The moment I first saw Jang Dong Yoon, I felt, ‘He is the one!'”

Regarding Kim So Hyun, the writers explained, “Kim So Hyun is exactly how we imagined Dong Joo. She is expressing the many different sides of Dong Joo well without being too much or not enough. More than anything, she is an actress with a great gaze.” Kim Dong Hwi added that Kim So Hyun came to his mind first when reading the webtoon. He revealed, “The writers and I cheered in happiness when her casting [was confirmed].”

tale-of-nok-du2.jpg

The drama has also released a preview of the first two episodes. The clip begins with Nok Du saying, “There is something I must do out on the island.” When he arrives, he is taken aback to find out that it is an all-female community but quickly undergoes a makeover to disguise himself as a woman. He then meets Dong Joo, who angrily pushes him away and asks why he is there, to which he snaps back that he was told to stay there.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1355093wpp/watch-tale-of-nok-du-gears-up-for-premiere-with-new-preview-points-to-anticipate

Taleof Nokdu's schedule

EFX5wnzUUAAT14W.jpg

cr:wowhellosohyun -twitter

Actor Jang Dongyoon Responded Cutely When Cheers Broke Out For His Feminine Appearance

Actor Jang Dongyoon showed off his beauty while dressing up as a woman.

On September 25th, KBS unveiled a poster shoot video of the drama 'The Tale of Nokdu', which is about to air. The video mainly features the three main actors in the drama. Among them, Jang Dongyoon drew attention to his beautiful appearance. While they were filming the poster, Jang Dongyoon dressed up as a woman because he played the role of Jeon Nokdu, who dresses up as a woman to infiltrate the mysterious widow town.

image%2F1569475585626-img_20190926105153_37ae362c.jpg

image%2F1569475595483-img_20190926105154_31b34e3b.jpg

Image Source: Youtube 'DramaKBS' Screenshot

He said, "I don't think I'm weird right now because I've been dressed up as a woman during the shoot." While he was doing the poster shooting, the staff praised him for being pretty. He replied with a playful smile, "They don't compliment me when I dress like a man. They like me more when I dress up as a woman. Don't tell me I'm pretty!"

The drama is scheduled to premiere on September 30th. 

https://www.kstarlive.com/news/2019/09/26/actor-jang-dongyoon-responded-cutely-when-cheers-broke-out-for-his-feminine-appearance-272181

Actually, @uglypearl, my comment about Adam's apple was just an attempt of humor. As there's no easy solution for that*, I guess they just pretend it doesn't exist; like his broad shoulders, his lack of hips and his falsetto voice.

* I'm not an expert about historic kdramas, but it's hard for me to remember any neck accessories for girls in Joseon era, even during winter.

Archived