[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

1 minute ago, triplem said:

@lu09 You’re welcome . PHS in her IG had mentioned that it would be 16eps . So i think this was not a last minute decision. I suppose 16 eps is good time for the show to give proper closure to everyone. 

Yes , it seems like someone uploaded the video of MY attacking JE , and thereby JE became the talk of the town. I too hope the SA oldest Daughter is not trying to kill herself . 

Thanks for the information:). In the first page of this thread, it's written 12 episodes. That's why I was surprised. But yeah, it's a good thing that they are not rushing the ending. All affairs are out and now it's time to deal with the consequences of their actions. 4 episodes would be enough.

Hopefully she doesn't..... 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soo-Ah's husband is just petty & downright a coward tbh. Just what does he think he's goin' to achieve by continuously humiliating her like this..??!! What message is he sending out to his daughters? As for Jung-Woo's wife....OY - I feel suffocated here LoL!:P She acts as if it was all Ji-Eun's fault, when really it takes 2 to tango. Jung-Woo wanted it as badly as Ji-Eun. Affairs aren't one-sided. It is mutual. I'm afraid Jung-Woo's wife might manipulate by rubbing guilt to hold on to him but I hope he gets the guts to call it quits & make a clean slate. 

Phew it's goin' to be a bumpy emotional ride toward the finale.... bring it on drama LoL.:lol:   

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Soo-Ah's husband is just petty & downright a coward tbh. Just what does he think he's goin' to achieve by continuously humiliating her like this..??!! What message is he sending out to his daughters? As for Jung-Woo's wife....OY - I feel suffocated here LoL!:P She acts as if it was all Ji-Eun's fault, when really it takes 2 to tango. Jung-Woo wanted it as badly as Ji-Eun. Affairs aren't one-sided. It is mutual. I'm afraid Jung-Woo's wife might manipulate by rubbing guilt to hold on to him but I hope he gets the guts to call it quits & make a clean slate. 

Phew it's goin' to be a bumpy emotional ride toward the finale.... bring it on drama LoL.:lol:   

to me MY also does not has the right to hold  Jung Woo. Why suddenly she wants to act as a good wife when she didn't care about him for 3 years? He supported her but she did not even care to come back on holidays. Not even once. And we know the reason she married him just because she doesn't want he got a away. She is one selfish B and she needs to refelect on herself. Like she never had an affair with a married man.

So the ones needing a divorce would be JE and SA, which I doubt they’ll get, because they’re the party at fault, they cannot legally ask for divorce. The only way JE would get a divorce is if MIL persuaded the hubs. As for SA, I doubt she will ever get one from that husband of hers. But for her to go back into the marriage again, seems kinda impossible too because of the unforgiving and vindictive attitude of the hubs. 

JW hopefully can get away from MY easier since they have not registered their marriage. Whether or not he ends up with JE, I hope for him to not be with MY since there is no love and she is only using him, IMO. 

@triplem thanks for the recap dear. Helped to tide me over until I can watch the episodes. As for the long hair of JE, there is one more still of her with JW at a small table. So there might still be a time jump. 

After witnessing failed marriages and many going thru similar experiences.. morally this drama is not healthy esp for married couples...

..but I felt such compassion to all involved. What a brave and a beautiful drama.

Should stir awareness to those in similar situation to brave up and "do something" about their damaged marriages. Afterall we only live once.

Love is such a unique and special feeling that I feel all human beings deserve to share with one another.

@liltash85

Jung-Woo's wife like I mentioned earlier in a post, seem to be overly concerned how others view her. In particular her parents. She appears to be very against divorce for some reason. 

Like Soo-Ah's husband, who can't understand Do's appeal 'cause in his opinion - Do has nothing to offer (he thinks men are nothing without material wealth sheesh :rolleyes:)

The same goes for Jung-Woo's wife, who thinks her man is unattractive 'cause he's just a boring teacher. The fact that not just any woman but her friend, Ji-Eun likes her husband angers her. That betrayal drives her insane knowing Jung-Woo finds someone else more attractive. 

Loved the episodes this week as heartbreaking as it is. The crying scenes esp between JE & her husband was done really well, you can feel her pain when she said she loves another man. And JW's wife - what is up with the threat??? If something is not yours just let it go my gosh, it's not love even if you trap him by your side. I wish JW would be more aggressive with her and fight back and not let her have her way all the time. She's spoiled to the core. One loophole I noticed is that, why did he post public pictures of JE's back on his Facebook??? And why isn't he friends with his wife on Facebook, their relationship is just so strange to me. I guess it's a good thing everything is out in the open now so they can figure out the next step, I am still hoping for that happy ending for these star-crossed lovers.

Ep11 and 12 show exactly how things are made worse when those who believe they are in love persist in continuing on with lies, while refusing to make a clean breast of things and settle their own situations first. YJW is the perfect example of this - the many times when he could have made a stand and told NMY he wanted out of their relationship, including the moment she asked him what he was thinking after the photo taking at the park, before she went ahead and made it legal without him realising it - yet he simply procrastinated and left it for another day. And for what? Fear of confrontation? His pushover attitude is painful to watch, and he is now paying the price for it, making it doubly hard for SJE and himself to be together, since there are now two marriages to unravel instead of one before. What is most incredulous is finding out his real reason for marrying NMY in the US - out of pity because she was always crying over her married lover. Did he think so little of the institution of marriage that he believes it was fine or fair to marry someone when he did not love her? Or did he think it was sufficient to be able to coexist harmoniously, as long as they did not rock each other's boats? Perhaps that is his character - afraid of breaking the status quo, willing to endure as long as it does not force them to leave their comfort zone. That is not to say that I do not wish for him and NMY to go their separate ways, with or without SJE as a 3rd party. NMY is a toxic element in their relationship - her despising his lack of qualifications, overriding him and making decisions without consulting him first - if he were ever to be his own man, it would have to be in an environment where he is free from her. In a different situation, if she were to change, and he were to find his dignity as a person, perhaps their relationship might work. But not now, not the way things are.

Unexpectedly, the recent turn of events makes me reluctant to see the unraveling of SJE's marriage, even though it had been on a disastrous path for years. Where once I would have railed at her to leave her husband, the change in him, trying to become the husband he should have been years ago, makes it harder for me to see this marriage destroyed. Jung Sanghoon's portrayal of JCK's grief was spot on - the bewildered shock when he heard his wife's confession, the shattered tears as he walked out into the night. The moment he begged his wife's lover, apologising for his shortcomings, promising to cherish and love her for the rest of his life, had me in tears as well, and at last I see the one spouse whom I wrote off in contempt early on in the drama, as being the only spouse that I pity. What sets this marriage apart from the rest is that they once did both love one another - even SJE admitted as much in her musings - until their passivity and lack of communication; her longsuffering endurance and his own insecurities from his parents' marriage, drove such a wedge between them that he pushed his wife into another man's arms. If there is one marriage I might hope to see salvaged from this entire sorry situation, it would be this one, since it is one where the spouse does still love her, and her MIL genuinely cares for her - but with SJE finding her own worth and confidence as a person first. However, if the marriage cannot be saved and the narrative persists on SJE and YJW being true soulmates, I hope that the price to pay is worth it all.

CSA and DHY are not faring much better - with him a struggling artist, and she, without any formal qualifications that would allow her to find proper work. It is obvious both of them, despite the apparent contentment in their relationship, are beginning to realise that it is only momentary, and that one day, she will have to leave him again. While I despise LYJ's cruel arrangement of having them meet where she is waitressing, I do find DHY's reaction over the top. Is it an affront to his pride as a man that his lover who never had to work a day of her life, now has to work because she left her family for him? Yet I do not find anything demeaning about the work CSA took on, since she is making an honest day's living, which is more than I can say for what her J-counterpart was contemplating. Nonetheless, Ah Ram's disappearance, with CSA and LYJ frantically looking for her together, leading up to the family's reunion, in that moment setting aside their differences out of their common love and worry for their child, is telling to DHY what this affair has cost his lover, and the one thing that would finally break their short-lived relationship. Perhaps that too, is a wake-up call to CSA what her decision has cost her children, the most innocent victims of this whole sordid affair. That being said, I am truly unwilling to see her swallow her pride and walk back into a marriage where she is treated with derision, yet I cannot see what options she has - lacking in finances and prospects in the workforce, without any chance of custody, and no ability to support her children even if she did gain custody of them. While I cannot say that the situation is not partially of her making, I do feel for her, even if I disagree with her choices, especially where her children is concerned. 

Throughout this entire drama, DHY is perhaps the most briefly described of the 4, with very little insight into his thoughts and background. Nonetheless, his love for CSA is evident in his actions, when given the chance of international success, he chose to turn it down rather than give her up. Going up against a rich, powerful rival and an equally influential ex-wife, I fear that he, perhaps even more than CSA, has the most to lose when their relationship finally comes to an end.

One thing that makes no sense to me. How can NMY even register their marriage in the absence of YJW? Doesn't marriage registration requires both parties to be present? Else how does that prevent anyone from getting married to someone else without the other person's knowledge or consent? 

I cannot pretend to know where the narrative is heading. If there is one that I see a possibility of being together in the end, it would be SJE and YJW, but not without consequences, nor without causing heartbreak to all who love them. Should this pairing ultimately work out, I hope it is as different people - ones who have made a clean break from their marriages, found their own identity, and free at last to be together without the guilt and shame that haunts them. And hopefully, as people who are forgiven and have forgiven themselves for their choices.

7 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

After witnessing failed marriages and many going thru similar experiences.. morally this drama is not healthy esp for married couples...

..but I felt such compassion to all involved. What a brave and a beautiful drama.

Should stir awareness to those in similar situation to brave up and "do something" about their damaged marriages. Afterall we only live once.

Love is such a unique and special feeling that I feel all human beings deserve to share with one another.

As what Park Ha Sun and the director said in press conference. They are not trying to glamorized affairs but rather wants to make the viewers understand why sometimes affairs are inevitable. In both Ji Eun and Soo Ah's cases (YJW too), they are living in a unhealthy marriages especially Soo Ah. They are happy for the first time in their life and sadly their happiness is in the form of affairs (to which most people find it as a sin). Little that others know that living in an unhealthy and toxic relationship is much bigger sin to those women. 

This drama also make us think why some people chose to let themselves suffer and stay in marriages though they are not happy because sometimes, there are so much to loose if they choose to be selfish. Both our female leads and YJW are having a hard time to be free and indipendent without the prejudice when they tried to be happy for once. Their spouses are making it very hard for them. 

I kinda like this drama is looking at this issue because I think this kind of drama is needed especially when there are too many cinderella like love stories. We need to know what is happening in the real world and what real relationship looks like. 

19 hours ago, liddi said:

Unexpectedly, the recent turn of events makes me reluctant to see the unraveling of SJE's marriage, even though it had been on a disastrous path for years. Where once I would have railed at her to leave her husband, the change in him, trying to become the husband he should have been years ago, makes it harder for me to see this marriage destroyed. Jung Sanghoon's portrayal of JCK's grief was spot on - the bewildered shock when he heard his wife's confession, the shattered tears as he walked out into the night. The moment he begged his wife's lover, apologising for his shortcomings, promising to cherish and love her for the rest of his life, had me in tears as well, and at last I see the one spouse whom I wrote off in contempt early on in the drama, as being the only spouse that I pity. What sets this marriage apart from the rest is that they once did both love one another - even SJE admitted as much in her musings - until their passivity and lack of communication; her longsuffering endurance and his own insecurities from his parents' marriage, drove such a wedge between them that he pushed his wife into another man's arms. If there is one marriage I might hope to see salvaged from this entire sorry situation, it would be this one, since it is one where the spouse does still love her, and her MIL genuinely cares for her - but with SJE finding her own worth and confidence as a person first. However, if the marriage cannot be saved and the narrative persists on SJE and YJW being true soulmates, I hope that the price to pay is worth it all.

Agree!  I appreciate that JE's hubby actually blamed himself for the breakdown of the marriage and for driving JE to have an affair.  

While in CSA's case, both men have ego issues.  CSA's husband think that material well-being weighs more than everything else.  That's why he scoffs at her leaving him to only have to work as a waitress.  As for DHY, guess his ego is hurt by that he couldn't even support his lover.

And NMY has ego issue too.  She couldn't believe that she is betrayed by her boring husband and mousy friend. I don't quite understand how can the marriage be registered without both parties present.  And why does JW say in the preview that their marriage is not registered.

7 hours ago, emmie said:

Agree!  I appreciate that JE's hubby actually blamed himself for the breakdown of the marriage and for driving JE to have an affair.  

While in CSA's case, both men have ego issues.  CSA's husband think that material well-being weighs more than everything else.  That's why he scoffs at her leaving him to only have to work as a waitress.  As for DHY, guess his ego is hurt by that he couldn't even support his lover.

And NMY has ego issue too.  She couldn't believe that she is betrayed by her boring husband and mousy friend. I don't quite understand how can the marriage be registered without both parties present.  And why does JW say in the preview that their marriage is not registered.

For DHY I think he is shocked and he kinda feel betrayed because CSA didn't talk to him first before decided to get a job. It hurts his pride more because the struggling issue of his is used by both CSA ex husband and his ex-wife to tell him that hvg affair with CSA is wrong and he shouldn't do that. He is a complex character. We still did not know his real past story. How can he married the gallery owner and why they got divorced. Seems like argument or cheating are not what drive their divorce because the EX still clings to him and trying to control his life still. 

New BTS is out! Love how warm the filming set is, particularly given the bleak content. Not for the first time, I wish I read/understood Korean especially when they interviewed the 4 main leads towards the end from Chapters 1-4. Gah!

Kim Mi Kyung posted photos from the wrap party with the cast, saying thank you to everyone and promising she would cheer them on. Please don't tell me this is a sign that SJE's MIL passed away in the drama... :tears:

Some interesting  comments here. Surprised to see many domestic viewers rooting for JE & JW to leave their spouses and be happy at the end. The drama has really gained a lot of viewers and love over the episodes. 

Source https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/08/love-affairs-in-afternoon-eps-11-12.html

Spoiler

affairs11.jpg

Article: Naver 'Love Affairs in the Afternoon' Park Ha Sun and Lee Sang Yeob, couple switches between happiness - anxiety [Ep 11]

1. [+134, -9]
It has become a drama that keeps me waiting for the broadcast. Please let the two be together. Jung Woo's wife and Ji Eun's husband... it's weird, isn't it?... ㅜㅜㅜ Gogh and Soo A are indeed having an affair. Anyway, I'm so looking forward to today...

2. [+88, -5]
After today,... I'll have to wait till Friday comes again ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ Jung Woo and Ji Eun ㅜㅜㅜ Please let them have a happy ending ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ

3. [+72, -1]
I want the both of them to break up now and clear up all the mess around them before dating again. I hope they date again while still retaining those same feelings for each other after that.

4. [+51, -1]
It's a heart fluttering drama. I don't like extramarital affairs, but still hope they get together in the end.

5. [+38, -0]
At first, I really disliked Park Ha Sun's husband, Jung Sang Hoon-ssi. But today, he was so pitiful and my heart hurt for him. His acting is really good that it felt realistic.

6. [+30, -1]
The cast is daebak. Everything just blends well into one. Their acting, the script, music, directing, cinematography, the lines, narrations... ㅠ Lee Sang Yeob makes my heart flutter. 

7. [+20, -2] 
Please let Jung Woo and Ji Eun be together. It makes me so nervous waiting for the broadcast. My heart hurts watching this drama. 

8. [+17, -0]
It makes sense for a wife living with that kind of husband to go insane or fall into depression at the very least. I don't know what is holding her back. They don't have children, neither do they have love between them. 

Spoiler

affairs12.jpg

Article: Naver 'Love Affairs in the Afternoon' Jung Sang Hoon's sorrowful crying scene makes viewers emotional.. acting skills proven [Ep 12]

1. [+45, -0]
I was surprised by Tsingtao's acting. Jung Sang Hoon, get popular!

2. [+29, -0]
I really like all the actors' acting~! It's going to be really hard to wait another week ㅜㅜㅜㅜ

3. [+27, -0]
It's a drama that teaches you that you shouldn't marry just anyone but think through carefully and marry the one you love.

4. [+22, -0]
Yesterday was really daebak too. The lines, and acting too... Park Ha Sun's narration, with that half-air half-sound technique, I really like that. The both of them would be cursed at in real life, but please let them be together.

5. [+12, -0]
Yesterday was really daebak too! ㅠㅠ I cried ㅠㅠ

6. [+5, -0]
His acting is really good.

7. [+4, -0]
Tsingtao hyung's real occupation is an actor after all. ㅎㅎ

8. [+0, -0]
He was just obsessed with his birds the whole time... 

@triplem It is good to see this underrated drama consistently gaining greater following from week to week... from its modest ratings during the premiere, to surpassing 2%, even hitting a 3.64%, which is definitely to the credit of the entire cast and crew for their sensitive yet realistic delivery of a contentious, oft-taboo topic, not to mention the amazing chemistry between the leads. To be honest, I had a great deal of concern for PHS when I first heard that she was cast, and I am thrilled that the risk she took in accepting such a controversial role has paid off. In turn, it was also a great surprise to me personally that the drama kept me invested from the get-go despite my discomfort with the subject matter. It deserves to be applauded for being a strong adaptation, similar yet with enough unique traits to make it stand apart from the source material, which is what a successful adaptation should be. With 4 more episodes to go, please let it continue to keep us captivated while giving us a believable conclusion that triggers the right questions.

3 hours ago, triplem said:

Some interesting  comments here. Surprised to see many domestic viewers rooting for JE & JW to leave their spouses and be happy at the end. The drama has really gained a lot of viewers and love over the episodes. 

Interesting too that bird husband is getting a lot of attention from viewers. Kudos to the actor!

@triplem said:-

8. [+17, -0]
It makes sense for a wife living with that kind of husband to go insane or fall into depression at the very least. I don't know what is holding her back. They don't have children, neither do they have love between them. 

Idk what's holding her back either LoL!:P

Is it 'cause Ji-Eun is afraid of hurting her MIL?? Or was she harboring hope that her hubby would come around someday.. (which he did but came too late)?

I'm impressed by the actor who plays Ji-Eun's husband too. Especially when he mourned over the death of his pet bird and his marriage... The actor is normally known for playing these perverted jerks LoL. He has a very lascivious face as well. Kind of reminds me of a Jim Carrey.  

....Agree!  I appreciate that JE's hubby actually blamed himself for the breakdown of the marriage and for driving JE to have an affair.  ..

True but as a narried man I feel he is suffering from a very serious "psychological health" issue and needs professional help.

He is just an ordinary office worker with no undue stress at his workplace. He showed no interest whatsoever towards his female colleague's advances.

There are men without their realising, are actually suffering from ED. They lead a contented married life as their wives choose to remain silent (many are too embarassed to discuss on sexual issues). .

@liddi I think one of the strengths of this drama is that it is able  to draw viewers like me to root JW and JE in spite of the circumstances. JW and JE are both terribly passive partners in their respective relationships , and for the first time they are finding courage to fight for what they want. I am not sure what is considered as a happy ending - I mean if they end up together , there are two broken marriages . Is that something I can be 100% happy about? I don't know. Affairs are never win win  and kudos to this drama for not glossing over the repercussions and painful consequences of "forbidden love" .  But at the same time , I don't think that they should remain in those marriages for the sake of comfort and societal expectations. Especially in JW's case - for me his marriage is clearly not a partnership built on love and respect. And I think, moral and ethics aside, it would pain me very much to not see JW and JE be the end game.

On 8/13/2019 at 11:23 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

s it 'cause Ji-Eun is afraid of hurting her MIL?? Or was she harboring hope that her hubby would come around someday.. (which he did but came too late)?

I believe there's never one particular reason why people stay in a marriage or relationship they are not happy with. It is often a combination of guilt, family or social expectations  , fear of being alone,  or never finding love again for example that would keep them from acknowledging that it failed. It would be ideal if we were all alot more honest with ourselves , and find courage to leave something that is toxic or clearly draining us. In JE's case- prior to JW coming into her life, there was no real reason to leave the husband. He was not the most attentive spouse , but he was not abusive or a bad person either.  It took JW to come into her life for her to understand that she wanted more from a relationship then just being roommates or housemates with that person.

New still ...woah...what does this mean?

I am actually very curious to see if JW and JE can last the distance if given the opportunity to freely date or see each other. It is different when you're secretly seeing each other cause there's that element of excitement and longing.  You have to make the effort to meet. But when there are no longer restrictions, would there still be the same sort of passion? Would they start taking each other for granted? SA and Artist for example started off very honest but at the end when realities such as money etc set in , she could not tell him the truth about needing to find a job. 

Archived