Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

OMG A sad preview. SW is sick for love. The storm has started.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Love 1

Ep. 09 is heartbreaking as Soo-Ah's husband exposes her affair with Do. OMG her daughters...in particular the eldest have a better understanding on what their mom is goin' through. Her husband keeps her at home like a prisoner as punishment. Soo-Ah discovers that her eldest daughter's bf was the same one who smashed her car windscreen when she was with her lover .. 

Ji-Eun then finds out that her friend's husband was Jung-Woo all along, out of guilt she decides to end things with him. He of course is unable to accept it. In ep. 10 preview, Jung-Woo gets hospitalized. Soo-Ah begs the male student to not reveal her past dalliances to her daughter.

• Like 9

Interesting article here about the drama  by Forbes. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2019/08/01/no-longer-criminal-in-south-korea-adultery-entangles-in-love-affairs-in-the-afternoon/

I quote  this section on some real life statistics that caught my attention: 

As reported in theKorea Herald, a 2016 study compiled by Linea Research Korea, found that 50.8 percent of South Korean men admitted to cheating during marriage but only 9.3 percent of women. However, 40.3 percent of the men surveyed did not consider buying sex to be an act of infidelity, which could skew men’s statistics. According to the survey, men tended to cheat throughout a marriage, but women had affairs mostly when the marriage faced unsurmountable problems. That’s the motivation for the married women in Love Affairs in the Afternoon

Spoiler

No Longer Criminal In South Korea, Adultery Entangles In ‘Love Affairs in the Afternoon’

Joan MacDonaldContributor
I'm a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film.

Love Affairs in the AfternoonLove Affairs in the Afternoon

Lee Sang Yeob and Park Ha Sun are drawn to each other in ‘Love Affairs in the Afternoon.’CHANNEL A

One of the characters in the Korean TV drama Love Affairs in the Afternoon is a publisher planning to release a novel about women having affairs, which he explains is the most popular kind of novel among married women in their 30s and 40s.

The artist that he wants to illustrate his book thinks that the novel is trite, no matter how popular the subject matter. Yet almost every character in this Channel A drama, including the artist, will either have or think about having an affair. The artist thinks affairs are trite, until he has one and then it changes his life.

The conversation between the two characters, played by actors Choi Byung Mo and Jo Dong Hyuk, sums up one of the most appealing characteristics of Korean TV dramas—the ability to take a subject very seriously and at the same time wink knowingly at the audience. The characters might as well be talking about the drama’s storyline—likable characters longing for love, but bound by their unfortunate marital choices—and the demographic that will vicariously enjoy their fictional adultery.

The enduring fictional lure of adultery may have something to do with the instinctive longing for love and the fact that long-term relationships sometimes don’t live up to expectations. It’s easy to identify with a character wishing to reignite that too-often temporary magic, despite knowing that in real life people make practical choices.

At the opening of Love Affairs in the Afternoon Park Ha Sun’s character admires her new neighbor, played by Ye Ji Won, both for her confidence and charmed life, then looks down on her for indulging in affairs. She would never commit the same sins. Or so she thinks until she meets a teacher, played by Lee Sang Yeob, who helps her realize how miserably confining her married life has been. She’s as caged as the love birds her husband dotes on, but less loved. That realization allows her to empathize with her neighbor and understand that, despite her neighbor’s glamorous plumage and gilded cage, she’s also imprisoned in an unhappy marriage.  

South Korea decriminalized adultery in 2015, ruling a 1953 anti-adultery law unconstitutional, but even when it was not legal, adultery happened, evidenced to only a small degree by the hundreds of citizens who wound up in jail every year.

Given that only a few years ago adultery was a crime, a recent South Korean survey found it surprisingly common. In the drama, the number of married men and women cheating is equal but the reality of Korean women having extramarital affairs is far from equal, at least according to the survey. As reported in theKorea Herald, a 2016 study compiled by Linea Research Korea, found that 50.8 percent of South Korean men admitted to cheating during marriage but only 9.3 percent of women. However, 40.3 percent of the men surveyed did not consider buying sex to be an act of infidelity, which could skew men’s statistics. According to the survey, men tended to cheat throughout a marriage, but women had affairs mostly when the marriage faced unsurmountable problems. That’s the motivation for the married women in Love Affairs in the Afternoon

Love Affairs in the Afternoon is a remake of the 2014 Japanese drama, Hirugao: Love Affairs in the Afternoon, starring Aya Ueto and Takumi Saito, which prompted a nationwide conversation about female infidelity. Aspects of the same story were explored in a 2017 Japanese film of the same name. Yet, the artist’s affair in the Korean drama is also reminiscent of the 2002 American film Unfaithful, starring Richard Gere and Diane Lane, which is a remake of the 1969 Claude Chabrol film La Femme Infidele, which in turn owes some inspiration to the 1856 Gustave Flaubert novel Madame Bovary.

Which just proves the publisher character’s point. Infidelity is a popular and—whether legal or not—endlessly engrossing fictional topic. In the case of Love Affairs in the Afternoon, the appealing—if occasionally self-mocking—storyline is, as expected, sure to lure viewers in.

Ratings

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

If anyone here has watched Hello Counselor on KBS, they receive like a 8 out of 10 concerns on marital woes. Even as a regular viewer myself, there's a weekly dose of misogynistic husbands or lazy wives. Though the men outnumber the women in most concerns. 

In most of those concerns, the wives take it as a last resort. Most of them more often than not bring up divorce which is very worrying.. And what's worse there're children involved. 

Majority of these couples share 1 thing in common. Lack thereof or absence of communication. It's just weird to me how a couple can live together for years, without saying anything! 

So I do wonder if all this plays into the many adultery themed dramas I've noticed that's been in rotation lately..? Someone also brought up the lack of intimacy as Korean males are very conservative & patriarchal. 

• Like 6

I feel sad . But I suppose this is not unexpected. Reality can be cruel.

Tonight. 

More stuff from the wrap up party last night 

Posted by PHS

Lots of love for the main cast here ! They were great in their roles 

They were watching together last night 

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Love 4

@triplem Thank you so  much for sharing the posts from the wrap party. Love the camaraderie among the cast, and the heartwarming posts. I had a great laugh seeing the husbands hugging their rivals while standing next to the unfaithful wives :D So they watched the heartwrenching Ep9 together. PHS' post indicates it will be 16 eps, so guess it is pretty much on par with the original in terms of pacing.

Love her photo of the cake... particularly the details - Love, Faith, Hope, the fateful painting and yellow baby shoes. So there will be a child after all? Will it be SJE's or NMY's, or perhaps CSA's? Questions questions.

EDIT: Come to think of it, those aren't baby shoes, but the shoes YJW bought for SJE the first time. Gah. There goes the baby theory!

• Like 4
  • Love 4

5 minutes ago, liddi said:

yellow baby shoes

Do you think it was baby shoes or was it a very mini version of the shoes that JW bought for JE?  

If it is 16 episodes , I wonder if the story line would change, LSY hinted in his interview that the ending would be different.

---------------

I was actually a tad frustrated with JW in this episode. He has always been rather passive and I think the affair with JE was the most initiative I have seen him have. But if he had made up his mind to leave MY, he should have seen it through. And I wished he had fought harder for JE. I understand that there is a guilt etc , and both are still married but I am sure he can tell that JE doesn't mean what she said. Urgh my heart...

9H6wy7W.pngBJQtiKk.png

• Like 7

@triplem I think those are out-of-scale version of the shoes YJW bought her... which got me momentarily excited for no reason :sweatingbullets: Though if it were deliberate, could it hint at baby shoes, similar to the ones he got her, meaning there is a child? The fact that there is lack of physical intimacy between SJE and JCK hints that the affair could have been exposed when she found herself pregnant despite the marriage being a celibate one. 

And yes, I agree with you about YJW, which is frustrating to see my concerns regarding his passiveness last week appearing to come to pass now. Still, he has 7 more episodes with which to redeem himself, so let's see how he goes.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

My stream is laggy tonight but will try to give some simple recaps :

resume with last night’s parting scene . Both in tears . 

Raining in every scene . SA in her garden , looking up to the rainy sky . artist painting in the rain. 

Morning . Seems like JE is having a fever . JW at home with his wife , he’s also having a high fever . As he gets up he faints . 

Artist taking profile pic for the book. Ex Wife & SA hubs is there . Goodness , the hubs even had to take one with Artist  . Business is business I suppose.  Ex Wife & the hubs talk shop further  .  

My stream is bad 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

JW in hospital. Doc tells MY , he’ll be alright . MY bumps into JE who came for a check up .

jW sees the yellow shoes & JE’s face - he’s imagining but actually she’s not too far from where he is as she walks around looking for him. She finally sees him & sees he’s asleep . But she tries not to show herself but her heart hurts . MY has gone to get meds for him , JE showed her face to him but hid again when nurse & MY came . But JW knows she’s there , saw her shoes behind the curtain. It’s obvious she can’t let go . 

MY drove JW home . 

the artist ex Wife sent the young woman ( The one who flirts with the Hubs ) to help look after the SA kids as per  last night . SA so mad , arguing with the hubs about it . Younger Daughter sees them & cries  . Later The Maid takes the little girl downstairs. SA goes to kitchen . Older daughter senses something wrong & recalls how dad didn’t allow sis to hug artist last night . She throws her temper by stuffing sandwich into her mouth & talking rudely to SA . Hubs witnessed it & says this is all her fault etc.  SA no longer has the will to argue & walks out of the house . JE mum in law happens to see her pass by . Later tells JE about it , JE tries to catch a glimpse from her window 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 6

sA walking around . She goes to a public phone booth . Think she calls artist (?) . She talks a lot , flashback of all their moments together as she cries on the phone . The oldest daughter sees her crying from afar . Angry . Knows mum did something wrong.  

JE at work . Her colleague is like why are you carrying all this heavy stuff alone . jE is like what to do since the other colleague didn’t come to work 

Omo! The crazy colleague is at the gym hitting on the guy who had a crush on SA :w00t:

MY came to supermarket . MY kept wanting to find out about JE’s lover . JE denied & just can’t look at the wife 

oh bird Husband at the Doctors or was it  the vet . My stream lagged a lot but I think he’s not fit & says something about feeling stressed 

intern came to see him at the office , gave him some stuff  . Bird Husband back at home talking to his birds & thinking of what intern says to him. JE & him have dinner together. My stream keeps skipping . Not sure what the conversation is about but he mentioned something about the birds being stressed ( good golly ) . JE just started tearing up & excused herself . Took her bike out & cycled to the front of JW school. He was getting off work but MY was there . . 

MY saw her , Called out to her but JE quickly cycled away 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

SA talking to The Maid. They mentioned about the oldest Daughter. The young flirty woman  was assigned to pick the daughter from ballet class . But at traffic light , she ran out of the car . Goes look for spying student . The Maid told SA about it . SA took a cab to go look for her.  The boy was very cold towards the girl, the latter says i know it must be because of my mum. SA happen to find them at the time . Overheard the daughter tell him something about mum liking someone else. She turned around & saw SA stand behind her , she ran off back home & lock herself in the room . SA kept knocking at the door asking the daughter to talk it out with her 

Scene of artist ex Wife & flirty woman  . The latter does not want to baby sit (  I think ) , knowing she’s being used here

MY & JE meet for coffee . MY seems happy , tell JE that her hubs was not cheating . JE try to find out how JW was . She’s not happy to see JE seemingly so contented 

SA thinking about how her actions have affected her  girls . She had earlier on begged Ji min to not tell her daughter anything about her affairs. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

SA hubs gets up  . She’s not in bed. He gets ready & goes look for Artist. Not sure why the hubs went there but seems he  went there to provoke artist who ask him to leave . 

SA holds an envelope -asking for divorce? .. omg is she leaving the hubs . She tells The Maid to please look after her girls . She leaves with a small luggage bag 

JW  & JE - life seems to go on with their respective spouses  . Neither seems happy. 

JW & My walking at the park . He sees the flower  that reminds him of JE.  Flashback to all their happy moments . 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

jE & hubs happens to be in the park . JE felt like her heart was stabbed seeing MY & JE together. Both JE & JW can only look at each other forlornly.

SA went to look for Artist . He hugged her . I guess she gave up her family for love .

this is just awkward as the OTP & their spouses sat together. Later some photographer came round asking them to take photo for charity  . While the 4 of them pose , JW grabs her hand behind the others. Wahh the feelings are still so strong . They can’t let go . 

-eps ends- 

preview - looks like they will resume the affair but I think gets found out 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 9

At last, the web of deceit comes back to bite both women in Ep9, shattering their hearts in a way that they never thought would happen, or if they did, chose to willfully the consequences of their actions until it is too late. CSA's reckless dalliances come back to haunt her when this time, all her secrets are exposed - to her husband, but worse, to her children. The fact that PJM is her daughter's boyfriend makes it doubly worse, since he caught her making out in a car the fateful day which resulted in a turning point in engaging SJE, and inadvertently triggering SJE and YJW's subsequent affair. While I hurt for her and the relentless punishment she is enduring now, this is exactly the reason for my frustration with her choices from the start - that she opted to indulge in dalliances without considering the pain it would cause those she truly love - her children. Even when they were meaningless affairs and her head was not ruled by her heart as in the case of DHY, did she never think the consequences through? Nonetheless, I feel for this couple, who are the most vulnerable in terms of what they have to lose - the physical proximity, love and respect of her children, and DHY's livelihood - assuming LYJ is vindictive enough to totally destroy every avenue of DHY's career.

SJE's inner turmoil is eye-opening when she finally realises who YJW's wife is, and that her willful ignorance about the wife's identity was merely her way of pretending she was not hurting someone with her affair. Her dialogue with CSA reaffirms this - her deliberate ignorance in no way negates the fact that she is causing pain, something she had been avoiding while living in a blissful bubble that what she feels is love. Her MIL's revelation of why JCK is sexually aloof which comes at great personal cost to the older woman, is yet proof that she does care for her daughter-in-law, compounding to SJE's guilt. And JCK's confession - probably the first time he ever expressed how he really feels, and at last realising and acknowledging what he put her through all these years, becomes yet another source of guilt for her. Perhaps it was easier to vilify someone when one is not privy to the reasons behind that person's actions, though truth be told, JCK himself should never have married her if he merely felt she was just a family member. Nonetheless, I find SJE to be wishy-washy in her wide-sweeping inner pleas to God - asking for the ability to no longer hurt her husband in this life, and be devoted to him in the next, when not too long ago, she pleaded for the possibility to be with her lover in spite of any condemnation.

What I feared about YJW's passiveness comes to pass this week, unable to even break things off from NMY, and appearing to accept SJE's rejection of him at the end. With such character traits, is it even possible to depend on him to protect SJE or their love (which they both believe to be the real deal) when it comes down to it? Perhaps I am cynical, but I don't hold much hope for that thus far. 

"Love, happiness, faith. These words do not suit people who have affairs." Such a harsh, sweeping indictment of what DHY believes they deserve, for violating the sanctity of one's vows, and one, which I think will finally be proven true in this drama since I cannot see how their respective affairs would have a happy ending, when built upon the misery of those they love, and who love them...

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Oh boy, I thought Ji-Eun wanted to have a clean slate but the heart wants what it wants I guess (shrugs) 

Next week will be her turn to get outed for her affair with Jung-Woo. It's basically Armageddon pt. 02 yikes. I'm not ready for this LoL:P

At least Ji-Eun, Jung-Woo have no kids fortunately. Unlike Soo-Ah.... my heart hurts for the youngest in particular..:( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

OST Part 3 - "One" by WoongSan has been released!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Group photo time :o

K2SB8ui.jpg

And imma going to hold hand with my crush affair lady... :crazy::lol:

BUW66up.jpg

Well done boy! Let me clap for you!!

Z4fLUtf.jpg

Spoiler

fedoQ1a.jpg

@triplem I really need happy ending for them! I don't care already hahaha... Help!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

What a complicated episodes. This week's episodes showed us that the men (YJW  n DHY) really loves the women they are having an affair with but they just don't know how to win the fight.

Soo Ah's husband continue being a big richard simmons jerk (he was so mad she is having an affair but he bring his scandal as a stay in tutor and lived with them, like WTH?). To me he still thinks his wife as a trophy and he so not want to let go. He uses money to control her. I hope he died in an accident because people like him is impossible to change. 

What happened to bird man? Why suddenly he wants to act as a good husband after 3 years abandoning his wife? He makes her lonely and value the birds more than anything. Rejected to be intimate and now he suddenly takes the initiative to see specialist and what not. Why must the writer makes it complicated for Ji Eun. His change in behaviour is so sudden and I did not buy it. 

I'm sorry, i think the writer wants to make MY character to be pitied because she is doing all the 'efforts' to save her marriage but  I'm sorry I don't get it. She still selfish to me. Either the character is written that way or the actress is not good in portraying a wife that needs to be pity of. 

Looks like YJW an SJE affair will be caught next week but I wonder how. I see YJW kneeling and apologize to bird man. Really want to know why. 

this drama going to be 16 episodes, so are the couples be in agony for the next 6 episodes before we know what is their ending will be? 

• Like 5

Somebody knows if this drama has 12 or 16 episodes? Where can I get that information.

I don't want only 12ep :(

• Like 5