[Drama 2019] Love Affair in the Afternoon, 평일 오후 세시의 연인

0ly40

Watched Eps 13 and 14 with a great deal of impatience, as we see even more how much the affairs have cost those who love them, especially those who had done nothing wrong. 

The most pitiful victims of the entire affair are undoubtedly CSA's children - little Ah Ram who misses her mother so desperately that she believes her mother will only come if she is sick; and Ah Jin who masks her shattered heart behind a defiant attitude, until she could bear it no longer and considered suicide as the only way out. I find CSA highly irresponsible in this matter, and as much as I dislike Jenny, her words are and should be a wake-up call to her, that who else but the mother can take care of her children. Foisting what is her responsibility to her children to someone else while pursuing her own happiness smacks of selfishness, and the fact that she is oblivious to the terrible pain that she has inflicted upon her children makes it harder for me to root for her, even as I realise that her marriage is on the rocks. As nasty as LYJ is, there is no doubt that he loves his children. His desperation as he searches everywhere for Ah Jin, who would easily have been found dead if not for PJM is proof that beneath the mercenary crassness, there is a heart of a father deep inside. As such, this scene broke my heart and moved me far more than CSA or DHY's pain, his ragged relief when at last he finds his child, safe and sound:

Bn8M1j7obEEJQylPChAelfSCtmfP84qto3qU7iBC2z_o0w5Ab8A8D0zcJcv_RPeMeQS0b2Q5hqvWA6YQ5ZhiYCYKqRtiqtBjA65n1D1ntfJXC7SzpAhxFcKoVXka4GTlGUYwRP45zUS3RFIMR19ChR9hn08IXCavinkjl6KzRb5d4zLrFyHokZjKaKHy1urJbT65fPiW3eoZ33b-7Cr3_KmkWgAeXmR0WMzTT1Bi1Mc_Mts9u-lDoT5zWM-rsYBxn3dPK39dNSOgul_Bh2ByBBgKWKW-Ve4nDeGOY_xp1vYN_EUGHj_MPsQAmoeKP1bBRhS4Z5QmlOzhieQZcjwO3JetpYkY1ttcV6AleLs-yhWwENyBeqj7zSHEzzMmSJDC_9Ie68H3vF07Ut_M_qRKPusYCOedAKrbYJTfhl91xEervhnqtfh-_YA7ReYgYr8wRO4Zp5nDcV_YZxvOVJIc6ULOAzPdpwe1oYNzsJoaiRakRCeMh1mVSeEbbfPhtJnpTSN8qlG1Zh7jRb3vAJpP3LzPsBGJ-ri65eBM5DvAMZxFX0Hgu3IPBoqmKgjTxovHYdfjyuqB_Rf6b05e-Wat8Y5GqctyUXwO5ZQ3d5b3xsbw2brM-bqDLAhD0Mejw5bokZK-QtNy3eAxmaGgCe7Vf2CzdeqjUME=w426-h258-no

Similarly, the sight of the yellow baby shoes (@triplem perhaps these were the shoes that were represented on the cake??) made my heart ache so much, since it represented the wistful, vain hopes of a MIL who opened up her heart to her daughter-in-law and loved her like a daughter, even to the extent of sharing her own personal betrayal by her husband.

Oud_H5-XcDBN0el5FWu7-TPLJegDD9RDbYd_tgvMc9VT8DMUaa3Y_baRYLFzzvwOYQYDw1KIW5DPUnk3qcuVfAh19g4cVjF3GvKLnGFUCpwiyLjmWuJ7zCq6ftvtoIXxhkxvuqqZk_meibJMsmoCA_FivN0qlXO0kmtcR8jrv5MQDN4eWGTA3DH-iH2dgQHuyfK6VlVVxlDo4DN41zfViy-hjkI-tr4mcebydmcCBkxi67kpyBtZqkB_R6fAGhmVBvZI3hgOUbecLdtfgTn7RbFiQJPbJKf0G_Vc3QuNZQuCO-ITeBlcSNJ3fG86u694VFdUBcA1yKE8WdFSYtzbLe-iPnkoJY5_C6oGUZ2sDdZ4uAjoW-eHPXuepnmCp_J0di9Y8l0qXWkfPB2LVJ_P1qlxVuO47W-AoZUCn-m2NEXR0WQ5UOzFy24_97s293c3_02aAxT1OvQOmsAnVv4wkYABV8IqjtA6cGt_V6jOp23MUJP5BvPQDtuuFZdEyyK8FniTQGmUDsjgg8gmGKjd-c0gic4tCbuhI-b7A4WsBUNL2Jdf1qKoGyP3Qp1nwDEVw6aIMWBea5aQzdgtjdKog0dUjQFWFMlvZkKTd0LrLXElL_bR7StfvrGyS1bcj0JOVT9gnnFfgs37T5QxwiGmiZfouoo8hgE=w416-h256-no

While I understand that guilt is no excuse to prolong a marriage that has died, nonetheless, if YJW had not shown up, would SJE have refused to give her marriage a second chance? Of the betrayed spouses and family, I feel the most for JCK and his mother since love, not possessiveness defines their feelings for her. What does it say about a betrayed spouse when he is willing to change himself for the better until SJE comes back to him again and loves him once more, despite the fact that she betrayed their marriage vows? Not for the first time, I realise just how ironic the drama is, that I find myself now hurting for JCK, when once I would have written him off without a second thought. 

I finished watching the original and realise that fireflies are featured after all as a heartbreaking theme in the movie. I probably sound like a broken record but this drama has done a brilliant job in its adaptation - familiar scenes used in a refreshing way. Will it go down the tragic path of the original, or will we at least, see SJE, with the encouragement of YJW, finally step out to grasp her dream to be an author, carving an identity for herself outside of her marriage or affair? I don't believe NMY is pregnant either, so it is only a matter of time before that lie comes to light. Still, the part I can never understand is how both parties can end up signing an agreement not to see each other anymore. What kind of coercion (is it even legal anyway?) allows such an agreement to be drawn up, and how on earth did SJE and YJW ever find themselves agreeing to it when both were so eager to grasp their own happiness a short while ago, unless it is due to the thought that a baby is on the way? We'll see.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Where do you read it from? I doubt the law states it that way. It’s more like the person who did wrong (adulterer) cannot force the person without wrong into divorce.

So in this case, yes, MY has the right to say whether they divorce or remain married. JW cannot force her to agree to divorce. The person without guilt is the one who has the right to decide about the marriage. This is not only in Korea though, many countries have similar rulings. 

in Twitter. it is regarding the divorce fught between KHS and AJH and one of the fan tweet that the divorce power in Korea belongs to the woman. 

56 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

JW moving to Seoul? US?

Are you doing live-caps @triplem?

If not, I’ll try to do it. 

It’d be great if you could. I don’t hv time to watch live tonight. Thanks :wub:

Backtrack a bit to when JCK pulling JE away. As she looked back, there is a narration of her talking to JW (sorry don't understand). They drove off, leaving JW and MY. MY let go of her grip on JW's arm. He asked you said you're pregnant? MY: Why? You think I'm lying? JW said some stuff that sent MY so angry Should he be worrying about that now? JW is saying that JE has not done wrong. MY said some harsh stuff, I think about making sure to see them suffer? Sorry but she is looking  very ugly in her anger.

In the car, JE thought about MY's claim of pregnancy, and then she pleaded to CK about something. He stepped on the brake and screamed at her in tears. She asked to be let go. CK started the car again and stepped on the acceleration (as in preview). They swerved to the side into a wall of dirt, and he hit the horn and kept crying that he wanted to die. Another narration from JE.

Morning time. JE and CK seated on their sofa, both downcast. JE asked him if he really wants to continue living like this. CK talked about his work and asked JE can't they just live like that. Someone pressing the door password. JE went to open it. It's MIL. She is happy to see JE. They both entered and she is still being kind to JE as if nothing happened. JE face down and apologized. CK received a call, someone asking to meet. MIL and JE looked at him. I think it's MY.

Airport. DH and his wife arrived with some of their staff. Wife happily saying some stuff, but DH ignored her and ran ahead when he saw SA there to pick him up. He hugged her tightly. Wife not happy and just walked away another direction. Next DH and SA in the car driving, exchanging missing you stuff like that. SA noticed his ring is not there. He apologized for losing it. Cut to Wife in her car, looking at the ring.

At a legal office, as in preview. It's MY's idea of course. Four of them seated face to face. Lawyer put out some documents. JE apologized, followed by JW also, for hurting everyone here. But he added something that made MY yelling at him. He finally signed it and MY couldn't wait another second to get JE to sign it. JE hesitated a bit, but signed it anyway. As they get out of the building and heading different direction, we hear the declaration from Lawyer after their signing, followed by narration by JE that this is definitely not love (with their BGM playing in the background, so sad).... At home in the restroom, JE washed her face crying and she jerked her necklace away. More crying as she fell to the ground. Cut to JW crying also in his study (as in preview) all these with narration from JE :bawling:

At DH's house. SA is preparing coffee. DH loves the smell and hugs her from the back. As they sat down, SA told him she needs to go home because of Aram. He asked how the little girl is. They looked at each other and each has a sad inner monologue.

At SA's hubs office. He is meeting with Director Lee. She commented on the use of Jenny's illustration for a book. Then took out the ring and laid it on the table for him. They talked some more, then she left.

Intern visited JE at home. She told her that she likes her husband, no she loves him, more than she could imagine. She asked whether JE knew the hard time that CK is having all this time. She also said that she can't give up on CK and pleaded to JE to leave or abandon CK since she loves another man anyway.

JE walking in the park by herself, thinking about what Intern said while sitting down on a bench. Cut to the scene of MIL serving them with lots of food. CK and MIL acted normal, but JE is still downcast and spiritless. Cut to another two scenes of her being downcast, by the birdcage and at the balcony, with narration from JE.

SA's hubs office. He walked in to the office, saw his staff with boxes and boxes of books. Turned out that the drawing by Jenny belongs to another artist, so the books are rejected.

CSA received a document at DH's house. Don't know what it is about. DH was there as well and they both discussed it.

JW and MY at their emptied apartment. They're interacting calmly. MY said she will go get the car. When he is all alone in the apartment, he saw his own reflection in the glass pane and he took down his necklace.

DH went to find his wife at her office. Talking about divorce. So it was her who sent to legal document, I think suing them for something.

JW looking at the moving truck driving away then entered his car with MY inside. They drove away.

JE waiting outside CK's office. He ran out, asking why is she there. She has something to say to him. Cut to them seated in a cafe. JE said she's been thinking all these time and she think she can't do it. She asked for divorce. CK asked why, when he as the husband didn't mind. She said she minds. She is living in hell everyday. CK did not agree to the divorce. He got up and left the cafe. As he walked outside, flashback to when they first met. By a drink vending machine. JE couldn't find coins and he gave her his drink. She thanked him. Cut to them dating. As they walked, they came across birds in a cage. JE stopped and so excitedly said they're so pretty. She smiled so brightly, CK noticed it. Cut to his flashback to some earlier scenes we've seen about the birds and how they affected their relationship.

Moving truck and JW's car stopping at traffic light. JW flashback to times with JE, from the flower, finding Sarang, their first date in the forest, their first kiss. Then JE on the bicycle stopping at that light. She saw him in the car. A narration from her. JW didn't see her, and drove away when the light turned.

SA's husband having meeting with all staff and Jenny. She only apologized. He said the image of the company is ruined now.

CSA looking at news on her mobile. She looked concerned. Maybe it's about the husband's company. DH came out of the bathroom and asked what's wrong. She said it's nothing, but DH noticed she isn't telling the truth.

Hubs at home looking at the news about the book cover. He ruffled his hair, buried his head in his hands and called out for his wife a few times to get him something, then realized belatedly that she is not in the house anymore. Flashback to some of their encounters at home, happy times as well as how he treated her so lightly. He looked at the ring that Lee gave him, then opened his drawer to see a pair of earrings. Flashback to first time he saw CSA with that earrings. She was posing as a ballerina model and he was smitten by her. Back to present, he is crying at the balcony. Then he saw SA walking downstairs, he hurried down. SA hesitated to press the bell, but he opened the door and pulled her in. He knelt down and apologized to her that he's done her wrong. He begged her not to leave him and the children. I'm crying now... He said it's okay if she doesn't love him, he will just love her. He said that his love for her is sincere, and hugged her. The children came out. Reunion of the family. Ajin asked can she not leave. Dad already apologized right, can you forgive him.

Lover Boy looking at DH's IG photos. Flashback to some of their encounters surrounding SA. He seems to be brewing in anger.

DH is painting at home, looked at the clock and SA is not back yet. Sound of door, he thought it was SA but it was Lover Boy who threw a punch at him and they fought. DH asked him to just leave and turned around. Crazy Lover Boy picked up an easel and hit him hard with it, DH used his arm to block and injured badly.... oh no......... :scream:

JE seeing JW off to work. She handed him his lunch. He said thanks and asked what she will be doing. She said just at home. He asked her to go out and enjoy herself. She said where to.

Cut to Ajin and the student. He gave her something to taste, coffee. Said something about mothers. And he told her that he is going off to Paris to study. She wished him well, they said their goodbyes.

JE going through the day with her bike. She came across her colleagues. The kind unni was unhappy to see her and doesn't want to meet her eyes, while Clara was the one being friendly and talking to her. JE felt bad and took her leave. She reached home, looked towards SA's house a bit. Then it's evening and she is eating ice cream by the balcony again, the bird made some noise, so she went to look at it. She dropped her ice cream bar as she remembered about the lipstick she hid in the nest. She took it out and flashback to events around the lipstick she stole and cried.

JCK at his office trying to call JE but no answer. He sent a text, asking her why not answering and to return his call after seeing the message. But he got worried and rushed out. At home, JE got up quickly and tried to find a box containing some mementos with JW, including the yellow shoes from JW. She hugged the shoes and cried. Flashback to tying of shoelaces and all scenes of the two of them interlocking their hands. There is a new scene in the flashback, where JW and JE parted their ways. If I remember correctly, they were wearing the clothes when they got found out by each of their spouses. JE's cries became screams and wails now. JCK is desperately trying to stop a taxi to no avail. He decided to just run home. Cut to JE seated on a carpet by the birdcage with lit candles and she was smearing herself with the lipstick (as in preview) Narration again. With her lipstick smeared face, she said this is my real face. She took their wedding picture and started putting lipstick on her photo and went crazy smearing it. She picked up the the shoes and let the lace caught fire and just let the fire burn bigger and bigger in front of her. JCK arrived at their apartment and ran up the stairs. JE just sitting near the burning carpet. End of episode...

Oh gosh, this is in reference to the fire of neighbor's house in first episode.

Thanks for the recaps @ktcjdrama . I’m so heartbroken just reading it . 

This last scene :dissapointed_relieved:

preview . Bird Hubs was carrying a baby ?? @liddi looks like there are some babies in the picture.

Sang Yeob posted this . ..is it supposed to make us feel better ??

This pairing is so good. 

Edit to add : this scene of the OTP crying . Can’t hold back my own tears . 

Spoiler

preview final episode:

Then, this drama will have the same final of japanese version? I remember LSY said in interview this will have a "different" end.

What about the pictures of JE with long hair holding hands of SW? I think the baby of JE's husband is from him and the ex-workmate. I don't think JE died. I'm afraid for tomorrow episode. I have hopes for a happy end for JE and SW, althouth they don't end up together. They might be free from their partners and trying to begin a new life, although in separate ways. Or an open end. What am I saying?  I'm going crazy with this. :bawling:

@0ly40 I hope Sang Yeob’s different ending comment means  a happy one.  

——///——

Seriously don’t care much about their spouses , maybe a tad sympathy for JE’s Husband . But how can 4 miserable people staying on in such dead end marriages be right ? 

Lol! Most k nets rooting for them to be together 

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/08/love-affairs-in-afternoon-eps-13-14.html?m=1

Article: Naver 'Love Affairs in the Afternoon' Park Ha Sun x Lee Sang Yeob, love escape to avoid criticisms of their affair [Ep 13]

1. [+42, -3]
I can't curse at this couple because the male lead's wife and female lead's husband paid no attention to them, showed no care for them and neglected them. Yet, now they are not willing to file a divorce.

2. [+38, -4]
I envy them. While you have no children, file for a divorce and choose the one you love. Even if it's an affair, it is out of love. The era for us to protect and choose the one we love has come. I want to fall in love passionately. Ye Ji Won exudes an irresistible charm.   

3. [+30, -1]
Having an affair is not right. But do couples living together without affection and love still have to maintain their relationship? If true love comes to me in such a situation, what would I do? It's an agonizing and thought-provoking drama.

4. [+24, -0]
It's really interesting ㅜㅜ And more than anything, the look in Lee Sang Yeob's eyes made my heart sink..

5. [+21, -3]
Jung Woo or Ji Eun both seemed to have married their current wife and husband without excitement or heart flutters... Of course, even if both Jung Woo and Ji Eun get together, these heart flutters, excitement, or love won't last forever... But they get to live with these memories that's like a destined relationship.. Both of them love each other so much and they don't have children, can't they remarry after their divorce?!! 

6. [+11,-2]
What exactly have they done wrong?? Times have changed. Sang Yeob's wife left for 3 years, and Ha Sun's husband insults her so much. It's Ha Sun's choice to search for happiness. I hope they find happiness without the need to hide. I really hope they won't follow that outdated Japanese movie. 

7. [+8,-1]
At first, I was cursing at them because they were romanticizing adultery. But the more I watch this, my chest feels stuffy and my desperate heart hurts. I've come to understand the leads.. Ha.. ㅠㅠ

8. [+7,-0]
I'm enjoying this. Lee Sang Yeob's acting is good. Park Ha Sun really matches that gentle role well... What is the ending going to be like? I'm a first broadcast killer. The maknae is really cute.. 

Spoiler

love%2Baff.jpg

Article: Naver 'Love Affairs in the Afternoon' Ryu Abel confesses "I'm pregnant" → Lee Sang Yeob ♥ Park Ha Sun, forced separation [Ep 14]

1. [+87, -1]
Can you get pregnant on your own? This is really ridiculous.

2. [+64, -6]
An affair is only an affair and will never be a beautiful thing in reality. Only the people involved in it think it is... Watch them get a divorce. Alimony or whatever you call it. Most of the time, after a fight and asking the mistress for the alimony, the man will feign ignorance..

3. [+58, -0]
Min Young must be lying.

4. [+55, -23]
You guys make such a big fuss trying to make these two a couple. Why are you guys insinuating Hong Sang Soo and Kim Min Hee? I was supporting that couple and got a million malicious replies.

5. [+28, -3]
I wish Park Ha Sun is the one who's pregnant~~

6. [+22, -5]
In the drama, Park Ha-sun was very unhappy when she was with her husband and she's so happy when she is with her lover~ I want to root for this couple~ㅋ When Park Ha Sun's husband grabbed her hand and dragged her~ it was like a cow getting dragged to the slaughterhouse. Please make it a happy ending. 

7. [+34, -18] 
Please... let them continue to be in love even if it's for a short moment in the last episode. Jung Woo and Ji Eun ㅠㅠㅠㅠ It's so sad and depressing.

8. [+15, -2] 
He should shake off her hand and grab her... That should be it... Even if they can't go, they should still go. ㅜ He should know best that Min Young isn't pregnant ㅜ He should've just said it's not true! How frustrating... Is it because her husband was holding her hand, which is why he couldn't grab her..? It was so sad to see Jung Woo cry... I'm so curious about episode 15 that I'm going crazy. It's really, really interesting. Please keep up with your acting skills that shine till episode 16. Lee Sang Yeob and Park Ha Sun, fighting!^^

9. [+14, -1]
I don't think it's a drama that romanticizes or supports adultery. Instead, it's working hard to present a more realistic picture. Ji Eun's narration at the end yesterday, "Even I love with all my heart... Even if I give it my life... The one person I can't have... It's you..." They are suffering in agony... Ji Eun seems to be out of her mind in the preview... If they go back to their spouses again merely out of responsibility, I wonder if they can live together like they did before. 

10. [+20,-5]
She's just trying all sorts of tricks to get her husband back. It's ugly and pathetic. What difference would it make to keep him by her side when his heart has already left her? She's going to be tortured all her life. Even the ahjumma in 'Misery' wouldn't mess around with kids. Did she imagine herself getting pregnant just to grab hold of her husband? Or does she have mythomania? Go to a mental institution. I could see her symptoms as a crazy person. The thought of having her as a wife and living with her for the rest of my life just feels terrifying.

This is the picture I told about. What's that meaning?

I didn't like the movie plot either. Maybe SW's wife lost the child. Maybe JE become SW's stalker. Maybe they end like good friends.

Thanks @triplem for the link. Cross fingers for a good final.:D

@triplem This is what the preview said per C-subs. Looks like there are two babies after all - both YJW's. Now more than ever, I feel for JCK if he can accept a living reminder of his wife's betrayal:

YJW (flashback): Ji Eun, I wish to be with you
Doctor: Your wife appears to have had a great shock. She is pregnant
SJE: Thank you for leading a happy life. Those summer days...
YJW (flashback): Are you looking for Love?
SJE: What kind of dream did we have? 
PJM: But sir, were you happy during that time?
YJW: Of course. Very happy
SJE: Now I think I finally understand the reason Love flew away
JCK: Oh no!

Thanks for the translations @liddi

Lol! Bio teacher is very productive ...but is MY really pregnant with JW's baby? Pfttt...

------

Love them..BTS

This was the additional scene in the flashback  we did not see earlier...

Edit to add 

New stills 

Archived