[Drama 2019] Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, 신입사관 구해령

0ly40

Lee Rim's initial rejection of the concept of vaccination shines a light on people's fear and rejection of new, concepts- really the theme of this drama. It was frustrating at first but nice to see a protagonist who's not so perfect and good that he's immediately open to foreign ideas- highly unrealistic for a Joseon person, especially one of his rank. (only jeongjo comes to mind among prominent joseon figures who's known to have been that progressive)

Also, shout-out to Lee Seung Hyo(the doctor? guy who wrote/narrates the book mohwa gave to hae ryung, who gave it to lee rim), one of the most underrated and amazing sageuk actors! He was also in queen seon duk and six flying dragons, for those unfamiliar with him.

I'm becoming more and more impressed by the writer, particularly in the characterization of min woo won and his moral dilemma of not siding with his evil father but also doing nothing. Though make no mistake, what he said to hae ryung about being a historian in his exchange with hae ryung is correct as well. 

edit: just recognized the doctor in blue who checked on lee rim after the inoculation was also a doctor in yi san(who checked song yeon's pulse for pregnancy- sorry, i realize im getting off track). Love recognizing minor supporting actors from past sageuks. 

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, spark101 said:

Lee Rim's initial rejection of the concept of vaccination shines a light on people's fear and rejection of new, concepts- really the theme of this drama. It was frustrating at first but nice to see a protagonist who's not so perfect and good that he's immediately open to foreign ideas- highly unrealistic for a Joseon person, especially one of his rank. (only jeongjo comes to mind among prominent joseon figures who's known to have been that progressive)

Also, shout-out to Lee Seung Hyo(the doctor? guy who wrote/narrates the book mohwa gave to hae ryung, who gave it to lee rim), one of the most underrated and amazing sageuk actors! He was also in queen seon duk and six flying dragons, for those unfamiliar with him.

Totally agree with this! The real theme of the drama is being open to change, and that progression is preferable to regression.

I had to LOL at min woo won and lee rim's incompetence in labor outside writing. Their wealthy upbringing is showing. :D

Also, I may have teared up a bit when the little girl brought 떡 and hae ryung said they didn't even distribute that much barley that day. It takes quite a bit of grain to make a small amount of rice cake. 

It looks like we'll get romance time next week with our main pair as well as the crown prince/princess/sahui deal. min woo won coming from that household as upright as he is is a dang miracle, lol. 

Comments on CEW's acting: Expressions were on point this week, especially the last scene where he's in front of the king. Voice is a bit too "up" for the serious bits for my liking in sageuks, but cadence and otherwise was good. 

1 hour ago, Shine2111 said:

And can I say how much I loved Lee Rim & min hoo bromance. For the first time ever, I saw Min ho actually listening to anyone or even agreeing with the person. With others he always act superior even if he doesn't not talk back but his eyes say that he give richard simmons about the king and even a little bit of crown prince but with Lee Rim, I saw his soft side. It's like he respected him for real. Agreeing to what he was saying

I agree with this. I remember Min's conversation with HGR about how he doesn't agree with everything going on. With Prince Dowon he saw someone for the first time not only talk the talk but also walk the walk. He canceled the ritual ceremony and berated the officals for giving up and actually went to see the people. Then he finds a solution and actually gets it done on himself first, even though he could potentially harm himself, so the people would be at ease following suit. That's someone he can respect and get behind.

1 hour ago, spark101 said:

Also, I may have teared up a bit when the little girl brought 떡 and hae ryung said they didn't even distribute that much barley that day. It takes quite a bit of grain to make a small amount of rice cake. 

It looks like we'll get romance time next week with our main pair as well as the crown prince/princess/sahui deal. min woo won coming from that household as upright as he is is a dang miracle, lol. 

The 개떡 scene was so sweet, I started tearing up along with them. It was a lovely testament to how Yi Rim and his crew had managed to inspire the villagers. 

Meanwhile, I'm way too invested in the crown prince's not-even-love triangle for my own good. Can't wait to finally meet the crown princess and form an opinion on her.

Just popping in to say hi. I've been following RHGHR on Netflix. Had some trouble liking Prince Dowan (a bit naive and young) but I am enjoying his character development. Goo Hae Ryung has been great from the start: she's such a strong female character. 

The last two eps have been amaaaazing. All this smallpox/cowpox stuff reminds me a lot of the manga Ooku and the trouble doctors had convincing people to try this unorthodox method of preventing the pox. 

Also, is book of Ho Dam possibly a religious text? Book of Adam? Catholicism was outlawed in Joseon like in most other East Asian kingdoms of the time.

10 hours ago, Lawyerh said:

Love that he also more determined & confident now. I hope he against his father asap.

Yes, this week was a great showcase of both his kindness and his capacity for growth. And hopefully his brother and grandmother will stand up to the king with him, along with the historians. The moment with Yi Jin calling on Haeryung and Min to take note of the king's actions was great; hope they'll be featured in the political struggle moving forward.

Hello guys!! I also jumped on the Goo Hae Ryung train and I'm enjoying it sooo much. :D

I like the topics brought up and the characters, so many brave people to root for. The best character is hands down Hae Ryung, she's strong and independent, and not ashamed to be different from what is expected from a lady; she will just go ahead and live her way, no matter what others might say. 

Also loving all the romance going on. I like that the prince is so innocent and inexperienced, but he's not intimidated by Hae Ryung at all, he just keeps trying to impress her, so brave and cute that you have to love him. She, on the contrary, is trying to be professional and doesn't seem to consider the possibility of having something with the prince, but is already smitten by him too. They complement so well and their romantic scenes give me the butterflies in the stomach, so much cuteness.:wub:

Finally, the Crown Prince and Sa Hui indeed have great chemistry. I wonder if there is a way for them to end up together...

21 hours ago, RobinM said:

Isn't Sa Hui a noble ? If he could just make her a concubine or consort  but she is not about that life.

Since the Crown Princess is a spy for the Second State Councillor, maybe she'll be out of the picture by the time the show ends... But it can't all be sunshine and roses, so I imagine Jin/Sahui will go unfulfilled. :(

21 hours ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

Also loving all the romance going on. I like that the prince is so innocent and inexperienced, but he's not intimidated by Hae Ryung at all, he just keeps trying to impress her, so brave and cute that you have to love him. She, on the contrary, is trying to be professional and doesn't seem to consider the possibility of having something with the prince, but is already smitten by him too. They complement so well and their romantic scenes give me the butterflies in the stomach, so much cuteness.:wub:

This is my favorite part of the romance: that she's the more experienced and worldly of the two, and he's fascinated rather than intimidated by that. And I totally agree that she's already smitten with him, lol. She just isn't considering any ~inappropriate feelings.

Just wanted to lay out my past connection theory quickly here: 

I think Haeryung's parents were killed when she was young for supporting the old king, who is Yi Rim's father. Then I think Haeryung's brother saved himself and his sister by siding with and working for the Second State Councillor, but obviously he's still loyal to Mohwa and the Queen Dowager in his heart of hearts. This means he'll probably die, but what can you do?

My only question now is why Mohwa is so heavily involved. As far as we know, she was a physician in the old king's court, but what more is there to it? 

5 hours ago, kangminjae said:

This means he'll probably die, but what can you do?

Oh no! This seems super plausible :( 

I did wonder if CP dies as well, as they seem to have set his character up as the one who protects people from the King’s actions. I can imagine him sacrificing himself for Prince Dowon :tears:

I just finished watching episode 8. Although I love the plot I hadn’t been super eager to watch it because I knew it didn’t progress HR and LR’s relationship. After watching, I did enjoy the progress of Min and LR’s relationship though :D And you guys are right about CP and Sa Hui’s chemistry. He’s so affected by her. I really love her. She’s doesn’t get flustered by anyone and nobody can predict what she will do. 

I’m intrigued by the Mo Hwa storyline though. Have no idea who she is, but as an aside, I love how much her husband eunuch cares for her. He’s so sweet! 

Give me some romance this week though!!! Pretty please! I want HR to realise she’s in love! 

It seems to me if he is indeed the real Crown Prince the angst is going to come from the fact he absolutely won’t want to be confined and restricted away from real life and people and travel again and if HR would not except the Life of sheltered Noblewoman she sure won’t allow herself to be stifled tradition bound Princess hidden in the Palace . It would be like death to her. 

Archived