The Tollgate

Lmangla

Welcome to The tollgate! - The GREAT BIG GRAND ENORMOUS HUGE poll about KDramas you've always wanted but never had before :yum:

we are more than halfway through on the drama highway for the year 2018. so how was the journey so far?

chingus, here's your chance to nominate the dramas for these categories. now if you are a drama junkie, you may be able to nominate in lots of categories. kekeke... however, some of us have hardly time to watch one drama at a time.... no worries, you can even nominate in for just one award for one category. for example, category "the stuff behind", award #2. "did they have a budget cut? why can't they have better lighting?" -- my nominations would be pretty much all the cable dramas! :lol: hahahaha...  So chingus, just name your choices for whatever categories and awards you like. :D

we will take in your nominations till August 5th. afterwards, we will create a poll with your nominations and then have a vote.

[EDIT] To clarify: right now we just want to know what KDramas you would nominate for a "prize". After nominations have ended at August 5th, the actual poll will be up and you can vote for your (or someone else's) answer [/EDIT]

Here are the categories:

villains:

award # 1. the character you wanted to slap the most! how silly are they...

award #2. the villain you are glad to see in jail or dead

award #3. The villain that should've won in the end.

dramas:

award #1. you know the plot makes no sense but keep watching anyway

award #2. this drama is too brainy and requires many brain cells to process

award #3. this drama is hahahahah drama! with scenes that kept you giggling...

award #4. if only the drama wasn't that long, more would watch this (daily/weekend)

award #5. the drama that is like a good meal and has a bit of everything -- sides, starters, main + salad and even dessert. (daily/weekend)

award #6. avoid! beware! don't watch this drama.

award #7. it started off well but ended stupidly

award #8. The drama that is so bad, it's good  

side characters:

award #1. you wish you could hug them and give them their own show. who cares about the leads!

award #2. everybody needs friends and family like these side characters

award #3. sometimes villains are better than these annoying folks who raise your BP.

OTP and secondary OTPs:

award #1. the OTP that made you swoon

award #2. the OTP that made you laugh

award #3. the OTP that you wanted to slap and secretly hoped they will break up because they are too silly for words.

award #4. The OTP that was so bad, cringy just got a new meaning: this OTP.

award #5. The OTP that lacked so much chemistry, you wondered if they even got paid  

leads:

award #1. you wish the character was real and you could meet him/her

award #2. you are so glad that such a character doesn't exist in real life; well, no one you know anyway!

fan service

award #1. scenes that made you giggle

award #2. scenes that made you swoon

award #3. this is why you watch dramas.

the stuff behind!

award #1. where can I get that sofa? where the interiors and settings were more attractive than the story...

award #2. did they have a budget cut? why can't they have better lighting?

award #3. who edited this drama? so good! so awful!

award #4. So much product placement, were they unable to pay wages?

award #5. Wait... where did that chaebol's maseratti/lamborghini go? And now he's driving a normal sedan?

award #6. I want that watch! where the clothes/accessories are too good that you don't even care if that character annoys you.

award #7. the product placements that made you giggle and actually loved how it was weaved in.

Have any Qs? Just tag me or @CamelKnight. Have fun!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

How to poll? I just nominate AYHT Seo Kang Joon for EVERYTHING hahahahha. Thanks!

kekekek... is this a compliment or worse? :lol: so what is AYHT? and which categories and awards chingu? we are right now gathering the nominations till august 5 and then we will have a poll.

ah it is are you human too @Lawyerh; so you have to nominate under the sub categories/awards. we expanded the categories to include as many wacky awards so people can have lots of fun and giggles.

for example under villains category, we have

award #1:  the character you wanted to slap the most! how silly are they...

award # 2. the villain you are glad to see in jail or dead

award # 3. The villain that should've won in the end.

as you can tell, the awards are slightly different depending on how you see the villain! hahahah... so what kind of villain is namshin? would you nominate him for award#1 or 2 or 3?

@stargazer187 ~ haven't watched too many dramas either but just nominate under the awards that take your fancy. some of them will make you giggle. hahahha... :lol:

@Lawyerh ~ my choices for villains category?

well,

award # 1. the character you wanted to slap the most! how silly are they...

award #3. The villain that should've won in the end.

award #1 will go for the noodle heiress from "good witch". omo, she treated everyone her so awfully and she would keep slapping people. we all wanted to clap when she finally got slapped. was actually sorry that she only ended up in jail....

award #2 is easy. that would be psycho appa from "come hug me"; he is a serial murderer who wants his victims families to also suffer.

award #3 would be the art dealer with flower shirts from "switch". he was so clever that you keep thinking that he is going to win. but in the end, he didn't.

so just to be clear on your choices:

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

Villain 1 Namshin 

Drama 4 Are you human too (AYHT)

Side character 1 Ji Young Hoon (Lee Jon Hyuk)

OTP 1 Namshin3 & Sobong

Leads 1 well oh Seo Kang Joon :wub:

Stuff behind : i love all shirt & jacket that Robotshin wear. But too bad not too much information on it. Just few in kdramafashion. 

Well everything above is from AYHT btw. Hahaha...sorry for being so biased.

But i have one worst OTP 4/5 rich man poor woman lead... (can i really put this? Haha sorry in advanced for the fans) I saw the drama a bit and the press con and it was just shocking to watched.

Thanks @Lmangla i hope i did it correctly...

am assuming that since you like the drama, your choice is award # 5 under the drama category?

dramas:

award #1. you know the plot makes no sense but keep watching anyway

award #2. this drama is too brainy and requires many brain cells to process

award #3. this drama is hahahahah drama! with scenes that kept you giggling...

award #4. if only the drama wasn't that long, more would watch this (daily/weekend)

award #5. the drama that is like a good meal and has a bit of everything -- sides, starters, main + salad and even dessert. (daily/weekend)

award #6. avoid! beware! don't watch this drama.

award #7. it started off well but ended stupidly

award #8. The drama that is so bad, it's good  

and for leads, it is award #1?

leads:

award #1. you wish the character was real and you could meet him/her

award #2. you are so glad that such a character doesn't exist in real life; well, no one you know anyway!

and for OTP, it is award #1? and for rich man/poor woman - it award #3 o #4 or #5?

OTP and secondary OTPs:

award #1. the OTP that made you swoon

award #2. the OTP that made you laugh

award #3. the OTP that you wanted to slap and secretly hoped they will break up because they are too silly for words.

award #4. The OTP that was so bad, cringy just got a new meaning: this OTP.

award #5. The OTP that lacked so much chemistry, you wondered if they even got paid 

and stuff behind, it is award #6. I want that watch! where the clothes/accessories are too good that you don't even care if that character annoys you.

1 minute ago, dotonly said:

Only one drama can be nominated? Drama from 2018? 

yea, we are looking at all the dramas that aired this year. and you can nominate any drama for any of the awards. if you can think of few drama names for one award, why not? in the end, we will have a poll and people will vote. :)

Just now, kokodus said:

@Lmangla Do we have to nominate dramas that came out in 2018 alone??? Too bad though, I didn't watch many kdramas this year, I got distracted by the c dramas lately. Sighhhh. 

yea, we were trying to keep it within this year. why you think we should expand it a bit more?

11 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

yea, we were trying to keep it within this year. why you think we should expand it a bit more?

Yes. Do you have any practical difficulties in expanding it??? If not, then you should totally expand it. 

11 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

Yes. Do you have any practical difficulties in expanding it??? If not, then you should totally expand it. 

7 minutes ago, kokodus said:

ummm, well, we can't have the time period too large. otherwise, there will be too many dramas we can nominate? so what's a good time frame that won't be too long and too short either? in the last year and half? so 2017, 2018?

Side characters:

award #1. you wish you could hug them and give them their own show. who cares about the leads!

I would nominate Doo Chil-sung (Jang Hyuk) from Wok of Love in this. Yes we need to see him in his own show, with his mother, the vet, his minions etc. 

6 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@Lmangla Hi Chingu When does this poll end?  I am at work and can’t check it out until later. What if all my nominations are from a daily drama. Is that ok?

we are keeping the nominations open till aug 5 and yea, you can nominate from daily drama for any of the categories. who knows, someone might be curious about why you nominate a character for the award and check it out? :D  also there are two awards that are just for daily and weekend dramas. award #4 and #5. have fun! :)

thanks @Lawyerh ~ saw the edited versions.

4 hours ago, triplem said:

We should keep to just 2018. If not polling will be too wide & difficult to set up 

have a super short memory and I can't even remember what I watched this year! hahahhaha... but if some want to mention some 2017 dramas (the weekend and daily dramas can be running from last year into this year), it is alright with me but further than that, it would be difficult. just seeing how it plays out since this is the first poll. :)

Dramas - #award 7 - it started off well but ended stupidly - Hwayugi. 

Side characters - #award 2 - everybody needs friends and family like these side characters - The whole of Prison playbook cast - I could name all of them, Lt Paeng, Joon ho, Looney, Capt Yoo, Min chul ajhussi, Kaist and the list goes on. LOL. 

I realized that I didn't complete even one kdrama that started in 2018. Prison playbook started in November 2017, I guess and I didn't even watch the last two eps of Hwayugi. I started many more shows but didn't complete any of them. Apparently I have been very bad to kdramas this year. LOL. 

Okay, I'm also need to nominate a few dramas.

@CamelKnightDo you count as villain? kekeke.....okay okay, seriously.

Villains

award #3. The villain that should've won in the end. -> Ms. Bae - About Time ( Technically probably not the most menacing and most cruel villain, but some of the stuff she did probably counts as villainish. 

And until this day I do say that all of her doings were absolutely correct and she should have won the battle over him.

Dramas:

award #1. you know the plot makes no sense but keep watching anyway: Like @triplemsaid: About Time.

award #7. it started off well but ended stupidly -> Mystery Queen 2. There is absolutely no way around. GOSH!

side characters:

award #1. you wish you could hug them and give them their own show. who cares about the leads! Hyun Jin - Mother. The youngest daughter who works for a newspaper and who probably managed to win the case on her own. I would love to see her grow in her own drama as a journalist. 

award #2. everybody needs friends and family like these side characters: Jeon Sung-Hee - About time. The true Star of the drama

award #3. sometimes villains are better than these annoying folks who raise your BP. Again. Ms.Bae from About Time

the stuff behind!

award #1. where can I get that sofa? where the interiors and settings were more attractive than the story... The bakery of Jung Hee Yeon of Mystery Queen 2. It was such a nice place and the kitchen was amazing!

award #4. So much product placement, were they unable to pay wages? If last year counts, Voice Season 1.

award #7. the product placements that made you giggle and actually loved how it was weaved in. Again,if last year counts, Whisper. Every meeting took place in a subway store. :D 

To clarify: right now we just want to know what KDramas you would nominate for a "prize". After nominations have ended at August 5th, the actual poll will be up and you can vote for your (or someone else's) answer.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:22 AM, Lmangla said:

1. Judge Cha in Lawless Lawyer,  the woman makes men of power not only bow but prostrate to her foreheads on the floor, makes her enemies and those people who disagree with her disappear, steals mountains of cash without getting her hands dirty and remains elegant and benevolent to the people who are manipulated through the media to mistakenly adore her ..... now that is villain who knows how to wield woman power... complicated, smart and ruthlessly evil  

2. Mo Tae Gu in voice... a psychopath who got away with murders with alluring good looks, social position and money, brought ruination to lives of the those left behind

On 7/25/2018 at 1:08 PM, Lmangla said:

#3. this drama is hahahahah drama! with scenes that kept you giggling...

Waikiki... that drama was just too funny and silly 

#5. the drama that is like a good meal and has a bit of everything -- sides, starters, main + salad and even dessert. (daily/weekend)

WOL... just made hungry, wanted to eat those black bean noodles if I can find them

#7. it started off well but ended stupidly

Drama was so good at the beginning but made no sense and disappointing ending gave the viewers so much agida, caused so much commotion in the forum.....the lead woman was thought to be brave in facing the truth but chose to hide it.... but then the drama was  named Misty for nothing... truth is always Misty I guess

On 7/25/2018 at 7:56 PM, Lawyerh said:

#1. the OTP that made you swoon

Bong/Ha couple in Lawless Lawyer, Li Joon Ki and Seo Yi Ji oooozed with sizzling chemistry, but then even offscreen in the BTY scenes they seemed comfortable with each other 

1. the character you wanted to slap the most! how silly are they...

The side characters in Secret Mother who just wanted live like the Jones' to one up each other using their kids and good grades. They were not needed in the drama who really cares about the kids good grades, I just wanted to know who killed whom, how and why and where the body is. The drama was a good mystery crime drama and would have gotten more viewers if shortened without them silly ahjummas

On 7/25/2018 at 7:56 PM, Lawyerh said:

#6. I want that watch! where the clothes/accessories are too good that you don't even care if that character annoys you.

The outfits of JY in Lawless Lawyer and GHR in Misty....all their outfits were stunning even JY's casuals in LL

Edit:

dramas 

award #3. This drama is hahahahah drama! with scenes that kept you giggling : Eulachacha Waikiki.

fan service

award #3. This is why you watch dramas : the scenes between Grim Reaper (Lee Dong Wook) & Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) & Yook Seong Jae (forgot his character's name) from Goblin (drama 2016-2017), if counts.

Edit:

the stuff behind!

award #1. where can I get the sofa? where the interiors and settings were more attractive than the story : the landscaped gardens from Let Me Introduce Her.

Archived