[Drama 2018] Today’s Detective/The Ghost Detective, 오늘의 탐정

larus

7 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

I suppose I can share this?

When Park Eun Bin and Daniel Choi went on Happy Together.

THANK YOU SO MUCH DEAR....!!! This is the best of the best of HT 3 program I've watched.... Daniel & Eun Bin are so cute together... Looks like they are so close... Their chemistry in the show is the evidence :heart:... Daniel said himself that there is romance... So I am shipping them sooooooooo hard now :blush:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

You misunderstood me. The little girl is the woman in the coma. When her father died, it was in 1993, since then a long time has passed.

However, remember that in the story, the evil spirit told the person, he had planned from the start to kill that person who helped the evil spirit to escape from its prison (pot). And if you look at the actual situation, the woman in the coma is actually more or less dead. She is trapped in that body and can not die. In my opinion, this is the death that the evil spirit was talking about. However, it shows that her "death" (coma) is the only way for the spirit to act freely... Hence the story told by the man makes me believe that the evil spirit deceived the person. He never meant to kill the person but use the body and soul in order to become free again. In reality, he uses her spirit in order to kill others. In my opinion, the evil ensures that the woman doesn't die. That way, he can still move around. As for the three vows... usually in fairy tales, people always receive three wishes. So the number is not a coincidence: 3 represents perfection (like the Trinity). 

As for the wishes and vows, we still don't know anything... but I guess that the girl could have asked for help, especially if she was abused by her father. I think, the suicide of her father marks the beginning of the partnership between the "girl/woman in the coma" and the evil spirit. The lady in red used the same words than others: burden to someone, escape a terrible situation.... so the official suicide could have been in reality a murder caused by the evil spirit.

Hi Unni  I like your posts as always 

So we have so many possibilities 

1. The women in red and the women in coma is the same  she herself  become evil spirit and in order to be free she need her body to stay in coma and to kill other people 

2. The women in coma was just one of the victim of the women in red she killed  her family by playing with their  feeling and somehow  she made a deal or control  the women in coma to have her energy so she keep her in coma cause that make her more powerful 

3. Okay the man that care for women in coma he maybe just be a nice man or maybe he the evil one who making the women stay in coma 

4.about fairly tale story about the view I know it since I was a child it sad and traged one, in the end the man trick him and lock him up again so what you said about the view maybe be true , and maybe the man who saved her had locked her again in that coma or maybe she was never free, so who the evil spirt is she the same little girl who waited for help or is the little girl was the person who send the evil spirt  free and was her gift to kill all her family and to take over her life!!!! 

Side note The views story talk about the long waited , lonely and fallen  in dark and hated  when every hope is over and hate is the only reason to keep you waiting  in absolute isolated world , after all no one hear him view and promise  a good or bad things it was his views  to God if he send him free he will do better and be good to other to be forgived for the sins that make him locked but he was in punishment and he could not wait for it to end he start promise things to get free more soon and that itself  was mean he didn't change and after that he was angery that his asking for help didnt  get answer so he start view to harm people , the original  story was about him was free not because  of his promises but cause it time to go out and he lose that choice since he was full of hate and didn't learn the lesson.the story has many ending from the sad to the happy one, the fact that he was free and start killing people was the sad one and to the happy one that he was tricked and locked on again.

@gm4queen, it’s definitely a plus that Da II’s can see her but he’s painfully afraid of her...at least to me because I felt so bad for him how scared he seemed when she possessed the guy cleaning up litter and the lady on the street whom the lady in red used to convey her message that she’s angry with him. Right now neither him nor YW know how to effectively deal with her. Da II knows that for her to hurt living people she has to use another living person but to me she’s still unpredictable to some extent. They can figure out her next target but it’s equally important to me how they face her or withstand her. 

1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

it’s definitely a plus that Da II’s can see her but he’s painfully afraid of her...at least to me because I felt so bad for him how scared he seemed when she possessed the guy cleaning up litter and the lady on the street whom the lady in red used to convey her message that she’s angry with him. Right now neither him nor YW know how to effectively deal with her. Da II knows that for her to hurt living people she has to use another living person but to me she’s still unpredictable to some extent. They can figure out her next target but it’s equally important to me how they face her or withstand her. 

Your post is so on the point... Da Il is a ghost... And even the ghost is afraid of her... So what is she..?? Rather than asking who is she, it's the best question.... She can completely take over the mind of other people... It's the true meaning of possession. It means that she herself is the mind of the lady in the hospital... She can't be only a ghost or an evil spirit or something... Is she a result of a modern technology that exceed the limits of the science...??!! And also, why do they mention at the beginning of each ep that "This drama was produced with the support of Ministry of Science & ICT..."??????!! I think there is something more than the horror stuff... And I also want to know that whether the lady in the hospital & the lady in the red are the same person or any separate individuals.. So many questions popping in my mind... Looking forward to know the answers. 

@gm4queen I have also been wondering about that Ministry of Science notation.....it raises questions about what subject we are really exploring in this drama.

Certainly very strange things can happen when a person is in a coma--like Martin Pistorius, the guy who came out of a 12 year coma and was aware of everything that happened during that time because he was really awake.  There's a lot we don't know about capacities of the human mind.

On 9/12/2018 at 3:00 PM, packmule3 said:

Dropping by to join this thread for now.  

This kdrama was a surprise.

At first, I didn't want to watch it because, coupled with "Lovely Horribly," I would have an overload on supernatural subject matter. But after watching the first two episodes, I'm hooked.The quick-thinking detective in this kdrama suits more my taste than the perpetually bedraggled scriptwriter in "Lovely, Horribly."  

Here are knee-jerk reactions to a few elements in the first two episodes. It's going to be an excerpt because I don't want to bore people here. I'm assuming the lurkers here have watched the show (otherwise, why check out the commentaries?) so I'm not going to warn them about spoilers.

1. The song “She.” That was a neat trick. My initial reaction at seeing the feminine-looking hand wiggling in the mud is “OMG. She’s dead!” followed by confusion, “It’s a guy??” and finally, “But who’s the song referring to, then? Who’s ‘She’?”

By the end of Episode 2, there are two plausible women. One is the new female assistant or trainee named Jung Yeo-wool (YW). Choi Daniel’s character, Lee Da Il (DI) promised to help her find her younger sister’s murderer and he’s the kind of person to keep his word.

But the unforgettable woman of the song can also be the ghostly Lady in Red. My bet is on the latter.

The lyrics audible in the kdrama —

She may be the face I can’t forget
The trace of pleasure or regret
May be my treasure or the price I have to pay
She may be the song that summer sings
Maybe the chill that autumn brings
Maybe a hundred different things
Within the measure of a day.

2. The Red Lady. My theory is Lee Da Il has previously encountered this Red Lady. Probably during the suicide of one of his soldiers in the army. She's probably the face he couldn't forget -- like in the song.  

3. Lee Da Il’s involvement in the suicide of his army buddy is suspicious. 

In his conversation with YW regarding her sister’s suicide, he became upset at the pat answers people offer as reason for suicide.

DI: What did the police say?
YW: They told me that people sometime hallucinate or talk nonsense before they die. They investigated everyone who were at the scene, and that woman wasn’t even in the CCTV footage.
DI: Do you believe them?
YW: No, my sister wasn’t mad. She uses sign language when she wishes to tell me something private. It’s just like whispering. She used sign language on purpose.
DI: Why?
YW: She was probably scared of that woman.
DI: First, let’s try to find out what that woman did to your sister. Do you know why your sister might have made that kind of choice?
YW: No, I don’t know anything. All her texts, emails, and social media uploads were all gone. Yi Rang had already deleted everything right before she died.
DI: What was the police’s conclusion?
YW: She was an orphan, had a hearing disability, and didn’t leave behind any will. So they said that she was just sick of life.
DI: (scoffs, and rubs his hands and eyes) What a joke. Nobody has the right to simplify the reason behind anyone’s death so easily like that. (he gazes at her intensely.)

To me, he sounded too aggrieved for somebody who supposedly had "closure" from the end of his lawsuit. 

Also, I don’t know if a mistranslation occurred in the subs, but two things are murky about DI’s involvement in the suicide.

According to his attorney, the same lawyer of kidnapped child, he’s a good man, the type who needs to get to the bottom of things and find out what’s bothering him. In a flashback, it was revealed that he was “Staff Sergeant Lee DA Il who was arrested and fired for revealing classified information.” His long fight in court came to an end two years after he claimed that “Private First Class Kim had committed suicide, and he dug into the cruel treatments in the army and the corruption of the military officials and reveal it to the public which caused a huge social firestorm.”

He was found not guilty and was compensated for having received jail sentence. However, his position in the army couldn’t be reinstated after the suit.

However, when the police detective Park Jung-Dae was researching about him on the internet, he found a report that read, “The gruesome truth behind a soldier’s suicide… Sergeant ‘obeyed orders’ to bully the late Kim.”

So was he personally involved in the harassment that lead to Kim's suicide? Or was he saying that there's endemic and systematic bullying in the military and he had no choice in the matter? Does he feel guilty like YW feels culpable for her sister's suicide?

4. The Chesterfield sofa. It’s funny that DI complains that Mr. Han Sang Seop (SS) his “boss” at the detective agency isn’t meticulous about details (i.e., mixing the books with other things in the moving box).

But there is ONE fine detail that SS insisted on – the Chesterfield sofa.

A Chesterfield sofa is a deep-buttoned leather sofa with the backrest and the arms of equal height. It was popularized by Sigmund Freud and became associated with therapy sessions with a psychoanalyst. When SS uses the sofa as props to set apart their detective agency from an inquiry agency. He wants to evoke the image of a trained observer and psychoanalyst, like Sherlock Holmes, to convince his clients to trust them in their professional service.

It's also hilarious when SS channels Sherlock by wearing a poor imitation of Sherlock’s deerstalker (SS wore a beret) and Sherlock’s calabash pipe. Perhaps then, he does pay attention to details, but only those he considers important.

I also laughed when he mispronounced Benedict Cumberbatch’s name as Cumber-*** Good adlib! 

5. Lee Da-Il is the Korean version of Sherlock Holmes. At first, the dizzying speed of his deduction is hard to keep up with. Now, I just playback what he says.

For instance, how did he recognize Lee Chan Mi and why did he suspect her?

When he entered that suffocating bedroom/laundry room of Lee Chan Mi, he didn’t know who she was until he read the name of her logbook/diary. Remember? She consulted it to check the day when the dog BoRi. She said the dog disappeared a day before the two kids disappeared. However, when DI observed her clothes, she had dog hair on the pocket of her pants and on her shoes.

Those couldn’t have been old clothes she was wearing because 1) the kindergarten director was very particular about neatness, and 2) she herself was very neat and she kept her room spick and span. This meant that she was lying and had seen the dog recently.

Also, she was caught in the kindergarten’s CCTV dozing off in the children’s room. Per DI, she was setting up an alibi during the times of the abduction. Since she lived in the premises, she could have easily gone back to her bedroom to sleep. Instead she chose to nap in front of the cameras.

Not only that, she had gotten rid of BoRi’s water and food dishes. BoRi was known to go in and out of her doghouse by going under the fence. When she removed the dishes, she inadvertently revealed that she knew that BoRi was being kept someplace else where she visited him regularly (the dog hair).

See that? I had to rewatch the scenes to catch on to what DI was talking about. I think the director could have done a better editing here.

6. Detectives or Private Investigators. Here’s an article about the recent court ruling on private investigators which was mentioned a couple of times in this kdrama.

The rest of my review is here: http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/09/11/the-ghost-detective-eps-1-2-with-spoilers/

Your thought about the song "she" is quite similar to mine, I also think it reffers to the woman in red, it is not a random choice to the start the show with for sure.

Also, as regards the soldier's suicide, I think this line is closely related to the main plot, I don't know how, but I think it will be unfolded in next episode.

12 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

credit to @Dramanoona This person might play a role more important than it seems. Like I had pointed it out, we never saw the face of the person burying Dae Il. So maybe he might be the one responsible.

• Then don't you find it weird that he met YW by coincidence and even ruined her drink by accident? I have the impression that he could have wanted this meeting, however he can not reveal his true identity or better said the real purpose of their meeting. 
  • Right now, they are focusing on the identity of the lady in red. But what if the spirit in the form of the lady in red is in fact the evil spirit that she freed from the pot? Maybe by reading the story, the man wanted to awaken the soul of this woman that is trapped by the evil spirit. We saw a tear in her eye... so she definitely felt something else than anger and evil. In other words, she could have recognized herself but is unable to free herself from that spirit. This explains why the evil spirit appears in the same form. The spirit is so strong that the woman can not die.
  • So what if the person who buried Dae Il wanted him to become a ghost in order to catch that evil spirit as he is well aware that no human would ever be able to catch him? But for that, he needed to do a ceremony: bury him and then hide the body elsewhere (again at a hospital in a coma). Therefore this man above could be someone who knows more than he appears to be. 

This leads me to this theory: When they discover her identity, they realize somehow that by killing her won't solve the problem? Notice that the spirit is so powerful that it can possess anyone... 

I was shocked when that man encountered yeo wool at the cafe, they seemed to know each other, you think he tries to free the woman in red, but what if he was the one who possesses her soul and uses her for some purpose..  why does he read such types of stories for her? Is it to help free her or to control her mind more and more???

Any way whether it is your theory or my theory, I totally agree that his role is very important. Let's wait and see.

For the first time, I am using bullets here... :D

• The lady in red told Da Il that she is very angry with him & she is going to kill everyone who loves him. So her main target is Da Il.. But how...??!! And his mom was the one who loved him the most... So she killed her. But what's Da Il got to do with Yeo Wool's sis..??!! She is nowhere near him. Maybe the lady in red knew that Yeo Wool is joining Da Il in the future.....??!!
  • Who was the first person the lady in red killed..?? Da Il's mom or someone else...?? And how did she get to know about Da Il's mom..??
  • The man who narrated stories, what is his real intention?? What does he want...?? to really kill the lady in the hospital or destroy the the lady in red...?? Looks like he's come to Yeo Wool with a hidden reason..

There are so many mysteries in this drama.... And that's why I am so addicted to it... :love: Can't wait to see the next eps.!!!!

@gm4queen, I tend to think there must be some connection among the victims that hasn’t been revealed yet. From what we’ve seen the lady in red uses half truths as a weapon against those she whispers demoralizing things to. That means she knows the weaknesses in her victim’s minds. I’m wondering if she can detect negative emotions and it attracts her to her intended victims or something like that because presently I just don’t see a connection between Da II’s mom and Yeo Wool’s sister.

15 hours ago, gm4queen said:

he lady in red told Da Il that she is very angry with him & she is going to kill everyone who loves him. So her main target is Da Il.. But how...??!! And his mom was the one who loved him the most... So she killed her. But what's Da Il got to do with Yeo Wool's sis..??!!

you misunderstood her. Woman in the red dress said she is very angry with Da-il because he interfered with her schemes (kindergarten teacher's incident and when she tried to kill YeoWool by using the kindergarten chairwoman). when she said that she will kill everyone Da-il loves, her target is the detective ajussi who lived and worked with Da-il. and probably in future, YeoWool will also be the target, though she is already a target.

7 hours ago, mxmix said:

you misunderstood her. Woman in the red dress said she is very angry with Da-il because he interfered with her schemes (kindergarten teacher's incident and when she tried to kill YeoWool by using the kindergarten chairwoman). when she said that she will kill everyone Da-il loves, her target is the detective ajussi who lived and worked with Da-il. and probably in future, YeoWool will also be the target, though she is already a target.

Yes, I know. Her next target is hyung... But I am still confusing over her. And i really hope that hyung will survive...!!!! He is completely like a father for both Da Il & Yeo Wool, isn't he...??!! I want the three of them on my screen....!! SHE IS SO OUT OF THE LIMITS NOW....!!!!!! Da Il should increase his powers to decrease hers.... I think that's the only way to overcome her evilness.... Let's see what happens next....!!!! Waiting is the hardest thing here.... :confused:

11 minutes ago, gm4queen said:
7 hours ago, mxmix said:

Yes, I know. Her next target is hyung... But I am still confusing over her. And i really hope that hyung will survive...!!!! He is completely like a father for both Da Il & Yeo Wool, isn't he...??!! I want the three of them on my screen....!! SHE IS SO OUT OF THE LIMITS NOW....!!!!!! Da Il should increase his powers to decrease hers.... I think that's the only way to overcome her evilness.... Let's see what happens next....!!!! Waiting is the hardest thing here.

Can I join the talk , she target  the hyung I think there a reason  I mean another reason not just cause she want to kill all the people da-il love as she said maybe it cause he about to find who she is or some other reason maybe  she really crazy and want him to suffer cause he mess with her game.

I don't the hyung to die too, he then only  normal, funny, loving and caring person here, I like how he act toward yw and da-il  too as father or family he did the same to da-il three years ago when he has no place to go or anyone to trust.

9 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@gm4queen, I tend to think there must be some connection among the victims that hasn’t been revealed yet. From what we’ve seen the lady in red uses half truths as a weapon against those she whispers demoralizing things to. That means she knows the weaknesses in her victim’s minds. I’m wondering if she can detect negative emotions and it attracts her to her intended victims or something like that because presently I just don’t see a connection between Da II’s mom and Yeo Wool’s sister.

I agree with you I think too she has reason  or list to work by it maybe be like a job or mission  to her not just a game,  about how she knows things she can read people fear and darkest thought she don't know more then what she see on that person fear that why she couldn't  trick  yw she read her fear but she didn't  see her memory to know how her sister was calling her, it the same with da-il  mother she just use her thoughs and fear that she a burden on her son but the mother know that her son will never thought or say things like that.

But the women in red for sure till half of the true she hidden so much after that smile and all being borning talk 

43 minutes ago, nona88 said:

Can I join the talk , she target  the hyung I think there a reason  I mean another reason not just cause she want to kill all the people da-il love as she said maybe it cause he about to find who she is or some other reason maybe  she really crazy and want him to suffer cause he mess with her game.

When Da il asked that "what she wants...??", the lady in red said that even she doesn't know herself.... Her body might be in the deep sleep, but her mind is awake with an utmost anger with the world...She was abused in the age of 12.. But she could have call the police... But she is got super powers instead of that.... The very first person was killed by her is Da Il's mom I think... But Da il interrupted her, so she is so angry with him that she wants to make his life miserable...

And the best part of the show is the hearing aid... It has all the voice records of the people who deceased by the lady in red... What a nice concept..!!! This is becoming even more intense now... Like to how the hearing aid got the power of voice recording....!! Da Il & Yeo Wool have the hearing aid for now, but at the end when the lady in red disappears in to thin air or something like that, I am sure that the hearing aid will also vanish in to the thin air... And the lad in red doesn't know about the hearing aid yet & also our leads don't know that she's not dead but in deep sleep.. Yeah, so many thing to be corrected....!!!

9 hours ago, Michelle Gonzalez said:

I don't think he is dead.

It's my only wish too.... He has to be alive somewhere... Otherwise it would be a pain for both of them if they fall in love...!!!!!! He he... I am shipping Da Il & Yeo Wool so hard now... They look so sweet together with their height difference..!! And they already care for each other... Maybe those are the little, little hints for something more between them....??!! :heart:

Guest aoikarin

Yeaaaayyy another mystery drama for me to watch! I am starting to love this show.. The chemistry between the leads is amazing! I love how Da Il and Yeo Wool "touchy touchy" so natural since beginning of the show... They don't hesitate to touch each other kkkkkkk 

Seriously apart of the romance department, I love the plot and how the story goes so far. It's very fast moving. I binged 4 episodes in one sitting and time flied so fast and very entertaining. 

Here some of my thoughts and summary about Da Il after watching 4 episodes... 

Timeline and a brief fact about Lee Da Il based on ep 1-4:

He is 32 Years Old (Korean 33 Y.O) born on 8th March 1983, has a very rare blood type AB Rh-.

26th Oct 2011, he was arrested because he leaked classified. He spilled that there were bullying cases victimized Private First Class Kim, drove him committing suicide, and corruptions done by military officers.

13th May 2013, he was declared innocent but lost his position as soldier.

In August 2013, Da Il’s mom was found dead and concluded as suicide while Da Il believed someone murdered her instead of suicidal. See the calendar at Da Il’s house. He left the house empty after his mom’s death.

Based on Mr Han’s story, it’s been 2 years (2016) since he first met Da Il and being his partner of “A Few Good Men” Detective Agency. The blog about them was written on 21st Jan 2017.   

28 August 2018, Da Il took Lee Ha Eun kidnapping case

29 August 2018, Da Il did investigation with Mr. Han at Kinder School and Ballet School. In the Evening, he interviewed Jung Yeo Wool and recruited her as a trainee.

30 August 2018, Da Il saved the abducted kids, got himself “Killed” and buried alive. Later at night he freed himself and found out he became wanderer soul.

31 August 2018, (I have no idea how) Da Il got stuck in the forensics room in the next morning and we saw an unidentified Male body was found on 30 August 2018 (I really hope it’s a Red Herring hints, trying to trick us that the body was Da Il… NOOOOOOOOOOO!!) Later at night, Da Il went to see Jung Yeo Wool and found out she can see, hear and physically touch him.

Personally, I don’t want to believe Da Il is dead. I really wish the unidentified body doesn’t belong to Da Il. I also don’t believe that teacher killed him using a hammer in one blow. I really hope he is alive somewhere in comatose stage and having temporary out of body experience. Looking at his rare blood type, I was thinking if there’s a possibility someone very powerful keep him alive and treat him like a supplier for organ replacement or blood donor. However, if the show goes with the plot Da Il is realy realy a dead person, I think I will have heartache especially for the romance department and it reminds me the bittersweet romance in Arang and The magistrate.

https://instagram.com/p/Bn1MQ1rAih1/

This is the uniqueness of this drama... You can't miss even a single Korean letter, then you get confused at the next frame...!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for your details on Da Il @aoikarin dear...!!!!!!!!!! I've read those lines a hundred times.... I regret that I can't read Korean :unsure:(should learn somehow...)... As on your analysis, the unknown body is male & was found exactly on the day Da Il died.... Does that mean that he is really dead...??!!!! A big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! But two people were carrying the body away... But why..?? To where..?? And who are those two..?? I have to agree with you about his rare blood type....! Maybe someone is experimenting him for a good reason..??!! Or is it possible that the antidote for the lady in red is in his blood...??!! Ya ya ya... this is so amazing..........!!!!!!!! :flushed:.. But he can't be fully dead.. He can't pass through the doors like a real spirit... But he can touch the door with his head like a real human... He must be out there somewhere in a deep sleep like the lady in red....!! Is it mean that we can have a romance between Da Il & Yeo Wool...??!! Maybe Yeo Wool can bring him back to life... :heart: I REALLY WANT THEM TO FALL IN LOVE NOW!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

As for the OTP, there's definitely chemistry but I'm scared of shipping them in case he's really dead.

I am also shipping them so hard now... But looks like I should keep a limit in my thoughts...!!! I really want them to fall in love, but under the circumstances it would be hard for them... :flushed:

But any way... In the last week's eps,... Da Il was met up with the lady in red, the spirit of the lady in hospital & Yeo Wool was met up with him, the man who read stories to the lady in hospital....!!!! What a coincidence...!!!!! I really hope hyung will remain in the show. Without him, the series wouldn't be the same it was.... And remember how he successfully scolded Da Il even though he can't see Da Il...??!! Those are the precious parts of the show...!! And I hope that writer-nim wouldn't steal the joy from us....!!

Only one day to go........

Archived