[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

The song is so heartfelt, both solo and duet versions! It's just so DH, and also so FJ, for the line "and fix what I've broken". :love: 

DH will get there, there's no way he'll want to miss his wife again and their little boy. Lie detector BGG and FJ's sweets will help, hahaha!

It's already very telling that rather than continuously sleep for 500 years, he instead chose to seclude for some months every year for a thousand year to fully recover. :blush:

That 'fix what I've broken' is bang on DH!

With a attractive and popular wife, it is understandable why he rather not sleep for a thousand years.

DH and FJ are so similar. They both give alot, but they do not expect much in return. *cough* apart from those times when DH expect some quality time with FJ, as a reward.

Spoiler

This song also reminds me of the couple...

"I Was Made For Loving You"
(feat. Ed Sheeran)

[Tori Kelly:]
A dangerous plan, just this time
A stranger's hand clutched in mine
I'll take this chance, so call me blind
I've been waiting all my life
Please don't scar this young heart
Just take my hand

I was made for loving you
Even though we may be hopeless hearts just passing through
Every bone screaming I don't know what we should do
All I know is, darling, I was made for loving you

[Ed Sheeran:]
Hold me close through the night
Don't let me go, we'll be alright
Touch my soul and hold it tight
I won't scar your young heart
Just take my hand

[Tori Kelly & Ed Sheeran:]
Cause I was made for loving you

Please don't go, I've been waiting so long
Oh, you don't even know me at all
But I was made for loving you

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

21 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

With a attractive and popular wife, it is understandable why he rather not sleep for a thousand years.

DH and FJ are so similar. They both give alot, but they do not expect much in return. *cough* apart from those times when DH expect some quality time with FJ, as a reward.

Reveal hidden contents

(feat. Ed Sheeran)

Just take my hand

Just take my hand

DH also doesn't want to miss any more years of BGG's childhood. With a cute son as beguiling and engaging like FJ, DH will want to spend as much time he can with his little family. :blush:

Aww, the song is their story, defying their lack of destiny! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

This makes a hugh difference! Have you noticed any other major mistranslated sentences in the book?

I have noticed it quite a bit when you guys post quotes from the translated version. That’s when i will cut and paste chinese version and retranslate from there.

I did not finish the English translated version as I found the humour better in the Chinese version hehe.

The mood of the book is really humorous and light hearted :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I have noticed it quite a bit when you guys post quotes from the translated version. That’s when i will cut and paste chinese version and retranslate from there.

I did not finish the English translated version as I found the humour better in the Chinese version hehe.

Oh how I wish I can read Chinese! 

• LOL 1

I just feel at the end of the day, Tang Qi is telling us that while destiny does play a part, it’s not everything.

The Pillow Book is about a couple who starts off as two parallel lines that will never meet.

But by trying hard enough, you can alter your own story. Your life is not set in stone and can be changed if you really want it to.

This is shown in other parts of the 3L3W universe.

For example, Father God loves his twin son so much that he was not willing to let him die unborn. He gave half his cultivation to his spirit and then let chance do its job and although Father God had faded by the time this opportunity arrived, he still eventually succeeded and Ye Hua was reborn into the dragon he was meant to be.

And as luck would have it, both his sons saved the immortal realms from calamity by sacrificing themselves to the bell. And one of them returned just 3 years later because of Father God’s cultivation. 

It’s all karma and destiny involved along with other factors created by the people affected. 有因就有果。I will use plants to explain those words. 

“You plant the seed and it will yield fruit. What kind of fruit is determined by the seed you planted. If the seed is bad it will have bad results. If it is a good seed and you nurture it, you will be likely rewarded with a good harvest.”

Karma is a very strong theme in all the stories in this universe.

And I guess I don’t have to say what Feng Jiu did to alter the course of her own destiny as we all know it well now.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

Thanks so much when you do, and also when you mention portions that wasn't included in the translated text. 

I remember one you cleared a couple months ago. :) That was the handkerchief DH pretended to be. For me it was a bit puzzling in the show when FJ was angrily telling DH is it because JH gave it to him? You mentioned that JH indeed gave it to DH in the original book. That was omitted in the translated text.

Joking aside, it's kind of ironic that the hanky maker should have been in the receiving end instead of what all the handkerchief went through in FJ's hand.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Aari sky said:

I love the book version where things were made more obvious, the moment FJ mentions YCW, rain stars hammering down the ward. But the moment truth is revealed, rain starts falling down softly.. I love how cleverly TQ used DH influence on elements to show his moods, it's very fitting for majestic DH..

it was the same in the scene when he overheard Feng Jiu when she was still in Aranya body crying while talking to Su Mo Ye. The book depicted the changes to the air and mood clearly too. He is an ancient god so has the ability to influence the elementals around himself

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Thanks so much when you do, and also when you mention portions that wasn't included in the translated text. 

I remember one you cleared a couple months ago. :) That was the handkerchief DH pretended to be. For me it was a bit puzzling in the show when FJ was angrily telling DH is it because JH gave it to him? You mentioned that JH indeed gave it to DH in the original book. That was omitted in the translated text.

Joking aside, it's kind of ironic that the hanky maker should have been in the receiving end instead of what all the handkerchief went through in FJ's hand.

Feng Jiu was showing her jealousy in the form of a tantrum. That and also mad at the shameless God who tricked her. Both the hanky maker and the one accepting the gift are at fault. :blush:

Dong Hua should have known better than to accept gifts from girls coz that is what causes tongues to spread rumours. But we all know he doesn't care as long as his conscience  is clear and his face value is worthless to him anyway.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

18 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Dong Hua should have known better than to accept gifts from girls coz that is what causes tongues to spread rumours. But we all know he doesn't care as long as his conscience  is clear and his face value is worthless to him anyway.

For him that handkerchief is just that, a handkerchief to use as needed. So he's being practical. Though why would JH give him a flower embroidered and her initials (characters?) monogrammed handkerchief, I also want to scratch my head? I mean if you're giving one, the monogram should at least be identifiable for the receiver, not the giver. :lol:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

For him that handkerchief is just that, a handkerchief to use as needed. So he's being practical. Though why would JH give him a flower embroidered and her initials (characters?) monogrammed handkerchief, I also want to scratch my head? I mean if you're giving one, the monogram should at least be identifiable for the receiver, not the giver. :lol:

Dong Hua probably didn't notice the monogram. I mean Ji Heng is really stupid, its even more apparent that she is dumb in the book. If Dong Hua liked her in that way, he would have long made his move on her like he did when he fell in love with Feng Jiu. 

She is really the dumb dumb white lotus like the book fans always say!!!

笨的白莲花! Hahaha!

不是你的东西永远都不是你的!(what is not yours will never be yours forever)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

6 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

Reveal hidden contents

(feat. Ed Sheeran)

Just take my hand

Just take my hand

You talking about the dancing as reward for the bird dance? I mean he took his reward but but he didn't return the favour hahaha! 

• Like 2
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 1

20 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Dong Hua probably didn't notice the monogram. I mean Ji Heng is really stupid, its even more apparent that she is dumb in the book. If Dong Hua liked her in that way, he would have long made his move on her like he did when he fell in love with Feng Jiu. 

笨的白莲花! Hahaha!

There goes that pretty white lotus in my mind, hahaha. It confused at first why she's compared to white lotus when she's quite rotten.

Then I saw this. LOL. Bai lian hua - looks pure, but the opposite inside.

https://www.writtenchinese.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-internet-culture-and-gaming-in-china/

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

There goes that pretty white lotus in my mind, hahaha. It confused at first why she's compared to white lotus when she's quite rotten.

Then I saw this. LOL. Bai lian hua - looks pure, but the opposite inside.

https://www.writtenchinese.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-internet-culture-and-gaming-in-china/

pretty much what we meant when we use 白莲花。

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ninky said:

笨的白莲花! Hahaha!

I missed this part, can u pls tell us when did JH gave DH handkerchief as a gift? How did FJ knew abt this? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Aari sky said:

I missed this part, can u pls tell us when did JH gave DH handkerchief as a gift? How did FJ knew abt this? 

There is really Ji Heng's name embroidered on it, that's why she knew. So FJ was really angry because she was both jealous AND angry that our favourite shameless God tricked her.

This part was really really funny to read in the book. I always can't stop laughing everytime I read this part. 

When Dong Hua said she tortured the hanky till it lost colour etc she thought that DH was being precious about it as it was from Ji Heng. So she got even madder. Doubly angry plus that jealousy rearing up.

The reality is Dong Hua is just being practical and carried that hanky around. To him it was just something Ji Heng gave him and was nothing special. The thought never occurred to him that Ji Heng likes him in that way till later after it involved FJ. This is implied in this scene when you read it. 

A good book always has direct and implied meanings in the story. The author would not have told you this little detail of a little embroidered 姬 in the corner if she didn't want you to make this assumption.

Also, in the book she was in full fox form so imagine a bright red nine-tailed fox with white paws holding the hanky and pressing her nose against it to blow her nose in fox form is very hilarious.

And running away and then turning around and making faces at him still in FOX form!!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

10 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

Oh how I wish I can read Chinese! 

Me too! I can barely scrape by :cold_sweat: back then some 20 yrs ago I tried to learn on my own but gave up. No Google, need check the dictionary for each characters based on number of strokes. Omg it was crazy. I often regret not learning it properly :sweatingbullets:

i just went to read the scenes in the book that correrelate to their time together in Fan Yin Valley before she went into the dream. Just had some good laughs :). Now I am imagining Vengo's DH and Dilraba's Feng Jiu faces when reading it. Even more hilarious now! 

He really does like her, he talked to her a lot during that time. He does not really talk to people in general and people avoid talking to him for no reason for fear of his black humour and poisonous tongue and/or too much in awe of him.

But with Feng Jiu, she can handle his humour and has her own comebacks to deal with it. They are just so easy with their banter and hilarious to boot!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

48 minutes ago, Ninky said:

There is really Ji Heng's name embroidered on it, that's why she knew. So FJ was really angry because she was both jealous AND angry that our favourite shameless God tricked her.

This part was really really funny to read in the book. I always can't stop laughing everytime I read this part. 

When Dong Hua said she tortured the hanky till it lost colour etc she thought that DH was being precious about it as it was from Ji Heng. So she got even madder. Doubly angry plus that jealousy rearing up.

The reality is Dong Hua is just being practical and carried that hanky around. To him it was just something Ji Heng gave him and was nothing special. The thought never occurred to him that Ji Heng likes him in that way till later after it involved FJ.

In the translated text, it mentioned "Ji" was embroidered to the hanky's corner, so FJ thought this was from JH to DH. Nowhere else though in the translated text that it confirms that, only FJ concluding that way...or did we readers expected JH monogrammed, not just "Ji"?

On the other hand, the handkerchief Donghua gave her this time was admittedly a work of art. She didn't pay attention when she was mistreating it before, but on her way here she had noticed a tiny embroidered ‘Ji’ on the edge. It didn’t seem like a handkerchief he could conjure up at will, but felt more like something Donghua was carrying with him at all times. It was probably a handkerchief given to him from his beloved Jiheng. 

Fengjiu suddenly recalled the piece of white jade Donghua had gifted her and how much she had treasured it. Seeing as how Donghua kept Jiheng so close to his heart, he’d probably slice her into eighths if she were to stomp on Jiheng’s handkerchief under her feet. At this thought, she became more furious and hurt.(PB1, p198)

It's quite funny, even if the translation was more in the formal side. By the way, is there "half a day" in the original text? For example, in this sentence at PB1, p200, "Donghua leaned on his cheek and gazed at the fox for half a day."

Receiving no response from her, Donghua inattentively said, “So then, I've saved you once, and you haven't repaid my favor. Then this time you can accord me by forgiving my deceit. Please give me back my handkerchief. I, too, will overlook that you've stripped it of all its color.”

Donghua's words felt prickly to Fengjiu's ears. Her generosity was closing up fast. She lowered her head in reply, her voice as small as a mosquito's buzz: “Actually, I already repaid that favor.”

“What?” Donghua asked in surprise. 

She suddenly lifted her head and glared angrily at him as she asked him with a voice that was unique to her fox form, “Are you especially fond of this handkerchief? Because Jiheng had given it to you?” She raised her paw and shook the fabric before his eyes, then blew her nose on it, crumbled it up, threw it on the ground, and stepped all over it. She next gave him a glare before turning around and running away. A few steps later, she turned her head and made a face at him.(PB1, p201)

• Like 2
  • LOL 3