[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

The reality is Dong Hua is just being practical and carried that hanky around. To him it was just something Ji Heng gave him and was nothing special. The thought never occurred to him that Ji Heng likes him in that way till later after it involved FJ. This is implied in this scene when you read it. 

When did Dong Hua realize that Jiheng liked him? I know when he realize Feng Jiu thought they were a couple. But when did he realize JH liked him?

36 minutes ago, Ninky said:

He really does like her, he talked to her a lot during that time. He does not really talk to people in general and people avoid talking to him for no reason for fear of his black humour and poisonous tongue and/or too much in awe of him.

He not only talked to her a lot (cough* tease, boss, blackmail* cough) he literally chased after her to hold conversations with her. Though with him doing the talking...how could she have known he liked her? Then again, he didn’t realize his own feelings then.

hmm...since Dong Hua had Jiheng’s handkerchief, I want to see his reaction to how Feng Jiu cherished her bracelet from Qingti. We’ve seen her let him change her mourning colours. But I doubt she will let him mess with the bracelet.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

8 minutes ago, Megan said:

When did Dong Hua realize that Jiheng liked him? I know when he realize Feng Jiu thought they were a couple. But when did he realize JH liked him?

He not only talked to her a lot (cough* tease, boss, blackmail* cough) he literally chased after her to hold conversations with her. Though with him doing the talking...how could she have known he liked her? Then again, he didn’t realize his own feelings then.

hmm...since Dong Hua had Jiheng’s handkerchief, I want to see his reaction to how Feng Jiu cherished her bracelet from Qingti. We’ve seen her let him change her mourning colours. But I doubt she will let him mess with the bracelet.

He had already known for some time after getting together with FJ in the dream. Because of this scene in the book. Before they left Fan Yin Valley, he and Feng Jiu had this conversation when she offered to serve them in Nine Heavens. 

Dong Hua told her coldly that he does not like to take care of people who think too much about him. This was a rejection of Ji Heng but in an indirect way. Both of them were in fact trying to reject her politely. 

Remember, Tang Qi's writing is seldom direct. There are hidden meanings in all the books she writes. That's my issue with translated versions, they lose some of that hidden stuff and the lighthearted way the novel was written.

Tang Qi had written it with lightheartedness in mind which she succeeded. Hamster's translation while pretty good, loses some of that lightness with a formal tone. And some of the stuff is missing, for example Bai Qian's eyesight and remember the part I also clarified on Dong Hua's relationship with Zhi He's parents which was also an implied one. 

Hamster's translation made it feel like they raised Dong Hua with grace when in fact they did not like him at all personally due to his strange silver hair. They kindly fed and clothed him and gave him a roof over his head. But did not get something that is also important - love.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

I can translate that scene again but its really long and something I might compile later on for the blog, but yes, in the chinese version its quite clear to every reader that Ji Heng embroidered her name on it and gave it to Dong Hua. 

And Dong Hua really was being practical and using it just as a hanky, no feelings attached to it. Tang Qi already told me as a reader that he doesn't think much of the hanky as anything more significant as he gave it to Feng Jiu knowing full well she will abuse it because he abused her as a hanky too. 

These are the little things I picked up on the Chinese version that just aren't as clear in the English one.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I can translate that scene again but its really long and something I might compile later on for the blog, but yes, in the chinese version its quite clear to every reader that Ji Heng embroidered her name on it and gave it to Dong Hua. 

And Dong Hua really was being practical and using it just as a hanky, no feelings attached to it. Tang Qi already told me as a reader that he doesn't think much of the hanky as anything more significant as he gave it to Feng Jiu knowing full well she will abuse it because he abused her as a hanky too. 

These are the little things I picked up on the Chinese version that just aren't as clear in the English one.

I think it's fine you've confirmed that from the original text, FJ was right that the JH monogrammed handkerchief DH pretended to be him is given by JH.

Though if you can do later a translation for that part, it will be much appreciated. :blush:

25 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I also love the way Tang Qi described Feng Jiu's fox form. It made her feel irresistably cute. Fluffy red fur white only on her paws, and puffy all around, sooooooo cute!

I can imagine! :love: 

If she was half as cute too when she was in the temporary fur Nie Chuyin provides, then no wonder DH actually went to demon realm to ask XY if he took his baby fox.

• Like 3

Read the whole chapter and the whole scene. Tang Qi had given readers something interesting. Dong Hua is described as the following in that same scene:

“似乎生来就对风月这类事超脱”

Excerpt From: 公子, 唐七. “三生三世 枕上书.”

"seems to have been born especially detached to things like romance"

So this tells you he wouldn''t care if Ji Heng gave him a hanky and for what reason. He would have just accepted the hanky and simply used it.

He probably even forgot the hanky was from Ji Heng or the origins of it. He simply doesn't care. 

@MayanEcho added this for further explanation :)

I need to add that I went to refer to the English text you quoted from and read all the same sections I had in both languages, the line I translated was not the same in the english version. He was simply described as being monk like.

The actual chinese text is as above with my accompanying translation.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I am considering translating all the famous scenes from Fan Yin Valley when I have time as part of our blog content. This will be a project for me in the future. For now, I am working hard on Lotus Step together with two other members of our translation team :blush:

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Megan said:

A cute and cuddly fox making angry faces at Dong Hua...somehow I think the effect will be ruined because she is just too cute

DH will keep that fox as pet again if he doesn't know it's FJ. ;)

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 minute ago, Ninky said:

I am considering translating all the famous scenes from Fan Yin Valley when I have time as part of our blog content. This will be a project for me in the future. For now, I am working hard on Lotus Step together with two other members of our translation team :blush:

Lotus Steps first! :love: 

Thanks again so much, and to the translating team  members. :kiss_wink:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I think it's fine you've confirmed that from the original text, FJ was right that the JH monogrammed handkerchief DH pretended to be him is given by JH.

Though if you can do later a translation for that part, it will be much appreciated. :blush:

If she was half as cute too when she was in the temporary fur Nie Chuyin provides, then no wonder DH actually went to demon realm to ask XY if he took his baby fox.

After doing a detailed comparision of both versions of the same scene, there are some sections that had lost the details Tang Qi had given and many things became ambigious in the English version. There are times when Hamster had omitted what may be considered superfluous but is an important detail to the story as a whole. This is common in all translations. Toland was an even worse offender of this.

I will probably add translating all the nice famous scenes as part of our repertoire for the blog after I get more Lotus step done together with the other ladies. It's really a pity to lose those details in translation so I will try, ok?

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Xiao Yan was damn mad the guy showed up accusing him of stealing his pet!!!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, Megan said:

A cute and cuddly fox making angry faces at Dong Hua...somehow I think the effect will be ruined because she is just too cute

In fact he found her even more interesting after she left in a huff. He felt she is more active and bubbly compared to the time in Nine Heavens.

He liked her even more after that. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

14 minutes ago, Ninky said:

After doing a detailed comparision of both versions of the same scene, there are some sections that had lost the details Tang Qi had given and many things became ambigious in the English version. There are times when Hamster had omitted what may be considered superfluous but is an important detail to the story as a whole. This is common in all translations. Toland was an even worse offender of this.

I will probably add translating all the nice famous scenes as part of our repertoire for the blog after I get more Lotus step done together with the other ladies. It's really a pity to lose those details in translation so I will try, ok?

Toland...who all throughout the To The Sky Kingdom named Feng Jiu as Phoenix Nine. :triumph:

We know it's the meaning of Feng Jiu. But why not stick to Feng Jiu if she did with Dong Hua? The horror if he's Brilliant East!

"As Phoenix Nine’s Qingqiu family, we appreciated that she owed Dong Hua this favor, and as her aunts and uncles, we saw it as our debt too. Nevertheless, today I was going to try my best to convince Phoenix Nine to go back to Qingqiu." (TTSK, ch10) 

:scream:

• Like 2
  • Unamused 2

8 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Toland...who all throughout the To The Sky Kingdom named Feng Jiu as Phoenix Nine. :triumph:

We know it's the meaning of Feng Jiu. But why not stick to Feng Jiu if she did with Dong Hua? The horror if he's Brilliant East!

"As Phoenix Nine’s Qingqiu family, we appreciated that she owed Dong Hua this favor, and as her aunts and uncles, we saw it as our debt too. Nevertheless, today I was going to try my best to convince Phoenix Nine to go back to Qingqiu." (TTSK, ch10) 

So horrible!

• Like 2
  • Unamused 2

8 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Phoenix Nine, Green Sleeves...I had been so confused. 

Imagine if she named Bai Qian White Shallow!

i am suddenly reminded of the book Raise the Red Lantern where the wives were named Joy, Cloud, Coral and Lotus. The most unbelievable one was Cloud. What kind of name was that? Stick to Chinese names. Not the translation.

i am suddenly imagining people calling me by my translated Chinese name...

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1
  • LOL 1

21 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

We know it's the meaning of Feng Jiu. But why not stick to Feng Jiu if she did with Dong Hua?

Seriously shouldn't he do a bit of research for his work? I can't accept shoddy workmanship in any areas whatsoever <_<

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

2 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I can't understand and never will how this wasn't caught by an editor or how this got published. :unamused:

I would have fired Toland and chose another publisher! Utter rubbish

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

4 minutes ago, chsaf said:

Seriously shouldn't he do a bit of research for his work? I can't accept shoddy workmanship in any areas whatsoever <_<

It was unbelievably lazy of her. Then at the end of the book, she has more description plus photo about her than Tang Qi the author.

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1