[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Heavenly Sword Dragon Slaying Saber 倚天屠龙记

sugarplum892

9 minutes ago, jackieusa said:

I'm re-watching when Mijue dying part, wondering what is the deal with ZR bad attitude for WJ.  First she yelled at him for trying to help (like don't touch her sifu) then totally ignored him when he offers his condolences.  Just wanted to vent my feelings out, can't stand her ungraceful behavior.

This version ZR is the one where I'm annoyed the most with the potrayal. Somehow "I'm a victim" tropes get super amplified here and everytime ZR act like a petulant child me = *facepalm* 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kur4p1k4 said:

TVB dubbing for YX is disappointing :tears: He's not playful enough when talking to JXF, the original chinese voice sounds more playful when he's talking with her.

Agree!  My native tongue is Cantonese but I always prefer watching C-dramas in Mandarin.  Not sure if everyone knows, but YX in the drama is the original actor, Lin Yu Shen's, real voice which really added to his appeal:)  YL and XX were also the original actors' voices.  WJ, ZM and ZZR were done by voice actors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaurenPanna said:

Ya, hahaha i always tell myself they are not Jackie, Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Yuan biao. 

There are two TVB dramas i enjoyed very much. 铁马寻桥, and 城寨英雄. Not bad fighting scenes, i would rewatch them 

@Don Yu Agree with Lauren above that you might want to check out 城寨英雄 "A Fist Within Four Walls".  It's not Wuxia but it's one of better action series that TVB has produced in recent years.

26 minutes ago, achng said:

Agree!  My native tongue is Cantonese but I always prefer watching C-dramas in Mandarin.  Not sure if everyone knows, but YX in the drama is the original actor, Lin Yu Shen's, real voice which really added to his appeal:)  YL and XX were also the original actors' voices.  WJ, ZM and ZZR were done by voice actors.

I noticed this! (From watching interviews and bts). Yukee and Joseph have really nice voices though. Is it because they have an accent?

50 minutes ago, achng said:

Yes! Half of YX's appeal is his voice while the dub is so flat:tears:

YL uses original actor voice is surprising I thought all the younger actors were done by voice actors

36 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

I noticed this! (From watching interviews and bts). Yukee and Joseph have really nice voices though. Is it because they have an accent?

I don't think accent would have been an issue since this isn't a palace drama, plus Joseph and Yukee are close in age to their characters so I'm sure their real voices would have worked.  My guess is they just had too many scenes and couldn't commit time to do dubbing during post-production.  Joseph's time was really tight during filming as he had to rotate through 3 different crews/teams.  Some fans were disappointed because they caught a few snippets of the wedding where if you looked closely you could see it was a body double standing in for WJ:o

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kur4p1k4 said:

I don't think that's quite possible with chinese tv series scheduling, I think they usually filmed and edit everything in under a year. Also I don't know why they're so reluctant to use stuntman/stuntwoman. I mean the TVB version and most of wuxia movies in the 80's-90's-early00's I watched a lot of the good fighting part used stunts (with bad wig but it's still fun to watch) if the actor is not Jet Li or Jackie Chan.

@Don YuIf you really want good action wouldn't it better to watch movie? If you keep hoping for chinese tv series to get good action anytime soon I think you'll just be disappointed again and again:sweatingbullets: I always lower my expectation for chinese tv series action, as long as the action is not too matrix-ey and no weird CGI beam I think I can still watch it^_^

LOCH in 2017 for some reason with the same director is actually much better with the action thru out the series!

5 hours ago, LaurenPanna said:

This short piece of Fanfic is really good. Must must must read!! I feel so at ease reading this. Bring a small closure to me for ZZR admitting her crime and WJ told minmin and declare his love 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4363250721847207

If you need translation, i will do it tomorrow. 

Love this!  Short and sweet and ZWJ says just the right thing to Minmin! :)))

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackieusa said:

Man, after watching this MV I just realized MM went thru so many murders attempted from wudong's uncles, grandfather, uncle, ex fiancee, ex fiancee admire, Ming Cult's brothers, to WBB just for falling for ZMJ.  Imagine WJ wasn't the top martial artist in wulin, she probably die so many times already.  MM is it worth it to love WJ?:lol: Wait, didn't WJ himself threatened to killed her multiple times too.  yikes!

Agreed... and I have a fanfic idea based around just that! (Coming soon!) :)

40 minutes ago, Don Yu said:

LOCH in 2017 for some reason with the same director is actually much better with the action thru out the series!

Ok...I did not know it was the same director. Personally I dislike LOCH 2017 and never finished it. It might be my bias since I dislike that version of Huang Rong and I only remember Guo Jing was flying on a horse shooting a bird:sweatingbullets:  so yah imho I would say the action is not much better when I stopped watching, maybe later it becomes better than that's good^_^ 

Also I think it's just the nature of HSDS story where ZWJ is one of the strongest martial artist in the world immediately after he gains Jiu Yang manual and Qian Kun Da Nuo Yi, so techically nobody can fight him equally except for Xuan Ming elders-3 monks-ZZR (after Jiu Yin)-Persian people, that's why the fighting is less?

While LOCH is about GJ slowly gaining power and martial arts from various people that he met and fight through his travel and shenanigans with HR. In addition even at the end of the book there's the five emperors(?) that's still stronger than him, so I think it helps with more action story wise  

Edited by kur4p1k4
  • Like 1

BTW a chinese fan asked over at tieba (although no one knew the answer) about whether this series will be released on DVD. Because DVD versions tend to have the cut scenes included apparently, so if anyone knows about that let the rest of us know! I suspect if there are more ZM scenes, there'd be a few of us who would be willing to buy the DVD just to get to see those! :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Ok...I did not know it was the same director. Personally I dislike LOCH 2017 and never finished it. It might be my bias since I dislike that version of Huang Rong and I only remember Guo Jing was flying on a horse shooting a bird:sweatingbullets:  so yah imho I would say the action is not much better when I stopped watching, maybe later it becomes better than that's good^_^ 

Also I think it's just the nature of HSDS story where ZWJ is one of the strongest martial artist in the world immediately after he gains Jiu Yang manual and Qian Kun Da Nuo Yi, so techically nobody can fight him equally except for Xuan Ming elders-3 monks-ZZR (after Jiu Yin)-Persian people, that's why the fighting is less?

While LOCH is about GJ slowly gaining power and martial arts from various people that he met and fight through his travel and shenanigans with HR. In addition even at the end of the book there's the five emperors(?) that's still stronger than him, so I think it helps with more action story wise  

For some reason, i did not finish watching LOCH 2017 too. I agree that the fighting scenes are good too. But somehow HR seem too plain in performance (personal opinion), though I agree she fought gracefully due to her dancing background. 

. So in between I skipped through certain parts. 

45 minutes ago, kur4p1k4 said:

Actually, I was wondering why WJ was immobilized so quickly during the fight with the Persians and ZM had to do that suicidal move.  Was it because the Persians are much stronger or mainly because they were outnumbered?

11 minutes ago, achng said:

Actually, I was wondering why WJ was immobilized so quickly during the fight with the Persians and ZM had to do that suicidal move.  Was it because the Persians are much stronger or mainly because they were outnumbered?

In the novel, it was because the persian martial art and formation was strange in nature not necessarily because WJ was inferior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Another chinese fanfic recommendation, this time it's quite a rewrite of the story that diverges after GMD (e.g., ZM/ZWJ meet under very different circumstances).

This includes not one but two Mongolian princes (one of whom seems pretty cool), a much more confident and direct ZM (including more interactions with her brother and father), and a ZWJ who realizes much earlier how much he lovesZM.  All of which I think are quite nicely done!

Title: 郡主不好惹  "A Princess Not To Be Messed With" (You'll need to scroll back to the 1st chapter, currently at 30, all very short snappy chapters which s/he updates nearly daily)

• Like 2