[Drama 2018] About Time / 어바웃타임

Maetawinz

24 minutes ago, cmoirae2 said:

I share everyone's sentiments.  The idea of time and how love would conquer all seemed to be a great idea but I feel it's just your typical Korean drama from the early 2000s with all its finest tropes dressed in sheep's clothing.  Perhaps it takes a skilled writer to develop the story and keep its focus on time.  But as @bedifferent noted and I would ask the same question, tvn gave the go with the script?   i wonder if changes were done midway.  Lsy and lsk have good judgement in choosing their dramas and this is not one of those I think they would sign up for.  I sensed early on that the drama is taking us to makjang land and sadly writer nim made it happen. So at this point it is probable Doha will get amnesia after being hit by the truck of doom. Lmao. Can I also add in bs would have Mika kidnapped?  The drama has gone all out with all the tropes, might as well bring them all out hahaha ...

Yes, it really shows that the writer is a rookie and i don't understand how tvN gave her a big project, she should have started with smaller productions and gain experience, now everything is a mess. At lest LSK and LSY have learnt a new lesson, never accept a drama from a rookie writer or director.

So do we bet about amnesia and kidnapping as next tropes? I honestly can totally see BS do that or worse, she seems more and more a psycho and the other ex doesn't seem very normal either, acting like she has still rights over DH just like BS. They are all crazy in this drama, how can a woman write other women so badly and shallow? They are all obsessed over a man :crazy:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okayyyy, I finished watching with subs... Mika/Do Ha’s scenes are the highlights for me.  Wish they have more of those.  We are 9 episodes down yet the drama has not spent enough time showing us the kind of person DH/MK is so that we can believe their love is meant to survive all these shennanigans.  Something so that we can say they deserve to be in each other’s life, their bond is based on his unconditional love and her unbreakable spirit.  Show us the kind of people they are in a way that we can root for them to stay together.  Is that so hard writer-nim? I think that’s why I like the confrontation between Mika and her mom over her frivolous spending habit.  That’s the most real part of E9 for me LOL Good for Mika to force mommy to understand the disappointment and hurt she is causing by living in denial of their family’s financial situation.  Get a job mommy dearest.  Stop keeping up appearances in hope that things will be back to the way it was before.

@cmoirae2 Yes, I am hanging on for LSK and LSY.  Can it be that they were only given a partially finished script and bought it based on those first few episodes alone as we all were? The unusual progression of their romance coupled with the fantastical element of the timeclock were different alright,  Sigh.  Such a waste on talent and potential.  The four leads can act. Way to disrespect your actors but really prop to everyone for committing to this script.  

@Libera @triplem @bebebisous33 My expectations are so low at this point that I can be happy with any development that is considered real and normal to us.  Give me a whole episode of Mika and Do Ha going on date and kissing and I will put up with all this hahaha

hqdefault.jpgAW405975_02.gifWe don't need trops...  We just need passion!!!

Some hugging, kissing and tons of romantic views...  Why waste all that talent and time on fillers & frustration, when the simple beauty of this OTP is right there in the palm of your hands and can be used!!!  Sometimes just keeping a story simple and focused is more moving than the ups and downs.  Heck we have enough stress in our real lives... 

I did feel sorry for our OTP tonight most of all Mika she seems to be in a no win situation and in her mind she isn't willing to take his time to replace her own.  I don't blame her... Yet my heart tells me if he knew he wouldn't let her go. For having someone who makes you laugh with ease and fills you with happiness in just having them near.  Who makes your heart tremble and gives you courage to face your fears... Time is well spent, given & shared when it's with and for someone who not only changed his world she changed his heart and the very man he is...

I loved when Mika looked down at her arm and saw the amount of time she had left.  I wondered was she thinking that the two other women might be more perfect have more to offer.  But why should she hold back when she knows the truth...  She says I love DH... That's the truth and all there is.  To either of those ladies she may not be able to offer him as much as them but she laid out all she had before them the truth in not only how she feels but even more in what he means to her...  It was perfect in every way...  She even got up and left first.  I kept thinking how wrong Beth was in thinking  Mika wanted things and money from him.  It was never about money or power.  Yet she had changed too for it was about her gaining time at first.  He healed her heart and life filled it with hope and gave her a love that she didn't expect.  One that allowed her to love him more than herself... 

She can take herself out of his life but she won't be able to take him out of her heart....  Impossible...

I just watched the subbed version of Episode 9 and my first question is ... Boys over Flowers, is that you?

I am trying to wrap my head with the mess writer-nim created.  I am not a screen writer but in all the years I've watched Korean drama, I can at least tell which ones I can swallow without spitting it out.  Wae, wae, wae?  Just like @Libera, i feel for the actors who are doing a good job but their talents would not be enough to save the drama if its foundation is shaky.  It has a strong line up of actors, even with seasoned veterans and it's a shame that writer nim is throwing every possible trope (and perhaps more to come, oh dear) in kdramas ... must i say, i cringe with the use of the stuffed duck?  geez, that is so drama cliche and i think doha and mika are too old for plushies ... like they are in their 30s?  seriously that duck is not even cute.  haha ... mianhe grumpy moira here ... my tolerance for that stuffed duck is so low that I even question how it is relevant to the story ... and from this episode, (and I join @triplem with her thought) it reeks noble idiocy ... it's like flashing in dancing neon lights right before our eyes.  I was having a deja vu of Jandi and Gu Jun Pyo when Mika spent her last night with Doha before she left him ... and yes, she loves him and is doing the ultimate sacrifice of giving up Doha because of love ... lmao ... noble, noble, noble but ... i ... 

TBH, I am not quite sold with how the love story evolved.  It started with Mika stalking Doha after she learned Doha extends her life and then boom!  she suddenly falls in love (just like that) ... As I had mentioned in previous posts, I feel Mika was acting recklessly without thinking of its impact.  She was looking into things myopically and not looking into the bigger picture.  and yes, i get that she wanted to live but to what and whose expense.  let's say it's case of survival, i think she should have just focused on prolonging her life and know that falling in love should not be part of the equation ... but then, everything that i said should just be ignored otherwise there will be no opportunity for noble idiocy ... lmao

Until now, I still have questions on how Mika developed the 'gift' of seeing other people's time clock.  I may be jumping the gun here and perhaps writer nim intended to explain this towards the end of the drama but we're in episode 9 and this still remains a mystery.  also why does her ahjumma friend also have that 'gift'?  are there other people who can see other's time clock?  were they cursed?  were they the 'chosen' ones?  how does one get this gift?  i was thinking the story would have been more interesting if it were reversed.  that instead of mika being able to see people's time clock, she can only see hers (and not doha's).  doha would also be able to see his time clock and know he is losing time at a faster pace but can't explain ... and realizes it slows down with simple acts of love to mika without her knowing it.  draining of doha's time will only stop once mika returns his love ... the challenge is how he can win her love ... hahaha ... it's like they both can't explain why their time clock is out of whack and later find out they can complete each other (like yin and yang or like hearing jerry maguire saying 'you complete me' hahaha) ... the time clock brouhaha is settled ... then they can live happily ever after ... but then ... i am not the writer ... so we will just have to see what writer-nim has in store the next episodes ... 

cheers!

@bedifferent @cmoirae2  I do love the combination of LSY and LSK . I was very curious about how it would work when I first read the casting news. They look good together. I think that's keeping me emotionally invested. 

Alright , so I am watching subbed eps 9, I am curious to why her lifespan would suddenly increase so much and his decreases so quickly.  There must have been  a change in their relationship dynamics. It can't always possibly have been like at this speed or rate, or Do Ha would have been dead by now given how much time they have been spending together.  So far we have been shown:

1. Time suspended for her when she was first in his presence and they had physical contact - she saved him from drowning.

2. Time started increasing for her when their feelings / affections started to grow.

3. Time stopped and decreased when she saw his expression at seeing the ex. Mika lost confidence.

So what is it that is messing up the time clocks? Is she preggers ?? ( lol joking)  Is it because she is finally in love with Do Ha and the cruel hand of fate does not allow her to live happily ever after? Do you all remember the man who tried to kill the psychiatrist friend and his time clock could change depending on how his reactions were? What path is it that she must choose to alter her fate? More questions than answers. 

edit: Dear lord...even if Mika is not dying, how can the mum be so clueless and use Mika's money to splurge on things they can ill afford? Does the brother not work? Why is everything on Mika's shoulders? grrrrrr

And the meeting of past , present and future DoHa's women ( they could have also called this drama "DoHa's harem")  - that just turned the makjang level up tenfold. But I did love how Joon A called out on Beth's insecurities. I am really warming up to her (JA) .  I like the development of her friendship with our Director Jo. Jo's character development though slow is actually very steady. I like how sharp he is at assessing things and his straightforward approach to life. I'm shipping them despite the age difference. At least they seem to be having some honest heart to heart conversation. Mika's bestie should stay far far away from the brother. He's a useless spoilt brat who is going to parasite on her the way he is relying on his sis to support the family alone. 

---------------------------

Somebody put together a lot of the OTP's BTS cuts and subbed it

Still don't understand how the clock works either, i think the more they fall in love and the more Mika's time goes up and DH's time goes down. I am afraid that also the writer has no idea what she is doing with the clock thing.

I can't stand BS, more and more she looks insane, DH broke up with her but she just acts like she is still his woman, now she even decided to marry him and will go tell his father while DH already told her that he broke up with her, her attitude like she is the best thing in the world and everything is hers is really annoying me so much, i can't stand her one bit.

I felt really bad for Mika when she found out her mother took her savings to buy such trivial things, but i really liked the scene, Na Young Hee really surprised me in this drama, she easily became my most favorite character and i was waiting for more scenes with Mika but now she threw all to the wind with her selfishness and naivety, she is not a bad person but she is really clueless, didn't she wonder why Mika made so many life insurances and why she saved all that money? I look forward for more scenes with them,  Mika knows that she is going to die soon so i hope that they will resolve things soon and have an heart to heart conversation.

Her brother is really usless, he only thinks about money but he doesn't work and doesn't even look for a job, i feel bad for Mika for working her richard simmons off for him and her mother and she is not even being recognized for it.

Stills from today episode

Mika and SH confrontation, now that Mika is not with DH anymore they can't pretend that everything is all right, Mika's clock is ticking and they know that they don't have much time left, this makes me sad, it's not easy to accept that your best friend is going to die soon at such a young age and it's difficult for Mika too knowing that her time is ending fast, i have no idea what i would do, i would probably go insane.

201806191601266710_6.jpg

201806191601266710_3.jpg

201806191601266710_4.jpg

Spoiler

201806191601266710_5.jpg

201806191601266710_2.jpg

@triplem I’m pretty sure Mika cannot change her fate, despite her manipulating the current situation to avoid DoHa losing time.  All the interfering with fate will lead to more changes but I think their ending will be same.  I am praying hard that the resolution to time clock makes sense at the end.  Do Ha is the producer of the musical production and would still have contact with her in some ways.  The only person that knows about Mika’s time is Mrs Oh who would have an opinion about their breakup.  Will she ever tell DoHa?

I remember that Lee Sang Yoon and Han Seung Yeon were spotted filming a scene together so i hope Sung Hee will tell him what is happening.

I noticed that in the preview of today episode both DH and Mika are wearing black clothes, i think they went to a funeral, it's possible that Mr. Park dies in today's episode :(

I wonder if Madam Oh knows that also Mika can see the clock and also if she can see her own clock, if i remember right in the first episode Mika saw Madam Oh clock on her neck so i wonder if she, Madam Oh is able to see it, it's impossible to see your neck unless you use a mirror, but can the clock be seen through a mirror?  Can she know some secret about it that Mika doesn't know? I hope they will talk about it, maybe we will finally know more about how it works.

@triplem The video you shared really touched my heart thanks... :heart: 

newest-Korean-drama-About-Time.jpgscene87701.png?w=84032968467_171675310173387_550305988461199     It's not just what you see...  But what they create that allows you to believe...:wub:

This OTP whether in drama or in reality prove that love can be seen and understood no matter the situation or the age differences. And having a dimple sure doesn't hurt LOL!!:w00t:  For love is a survivor when faced with life and all it's many obstacles seeming to be all around them.  Others ideas and opinions even fate cannot stop or erase what is seen and felt or what is placed within the heart...

Archived