[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

November 23 2017

Teaser trailers for tvN drama series “A Korean Odyssey”

A-Korean-Odyssey-SM11.jpg

First teaser trailers added for upcoming tvN drama series “A Korean Odyssey” (“Hwayuki”) starring Lee Seung-Gi, Cha Seung-Won and Oh Yeon-Seo. The first 3 teaser trailers features each of the 3 lead performers. “A Korean Odyssey” is based on classic Chinese novel “Journey to the West” and scripted by sisters Hong Jung-EunHong Mi-Ran.

“A Korean Odyssey” is now set to first air December 23, 2017 in South Korea.

They changed the title of this drama? I don`t like when that happends. We get use to a name and then everything changes.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, larus said:

They changed the title of this drama? I don`t like when that happends. We get use to a name and then everything changes.

Isn't "A Korean Odyssey" just the English title? Many dramas are known by different titles.

5 hours ago, IliK said:

Do you mean this difference ? ;-)

2 hours ago, viktormani said:

Wasn't the monkey king supposed to rival the top gods in power or something? I read somewhere that he was definitely one of the strongest "gods" or am i wrong? Can someone explain for me.

Yes. Isn't he the most powerful god or demon of all? LSG as Son Oh Gong proclaims what the character proclaimed in the original novel.

"I am the Great Sage Equal to Heaven, Son Oh Gong!"

Explains the heavenesque moment in the teaser. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

Watch: “Hwayugi” Releases Intense First Teasers For Cha Seung Won, Oh Yeon Seo, And Lee Seung Gi

Cha-Seung-Won-Oh-Yeon-Seo-Lee-Seung-Gi-H

tvN’s upcoming weekend drama “Hwayugi” (also known as “A Korean Odyssey”) has released its first teaser videos for main characters Cha Seung Won, Oh Yeon Seo, and Lee Seung Gi.

“Hwayugi” will be based on an ancient novel about finding light in a dark world. Cha Seung Won will play Woo Ma Wang, the god of monsters, while Oh Yeon Seo will play Sam Jang, a human who has the ability to see monsters. Lee Seung Gi will play the rebellious monster named Son Oh Gong.

The teasers are short but leave quite an impact as they leave viewers curious and excited for what’s to come.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/11/23/watch-hwayugi-releases-intense-first-teasers-cha-seung-won-oh-yeon-seo-lee-seung-gi/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

From this article, kinda explained the details of the teasers :smirk:

---

Exorcist romance drama 'Hwayugi's leading trio is ready to fight 

Media preview

The Hong sisters’ new “exorcist romance drama” Hwayugi released three brief clips introducing its main characters, just a month before its premiere date on tvN. Based on the classic Chinese novel Journey to the West, Hwayugi is a modern retelling of a legendary odyssey full of monsters and adventures. In the original story, the main character is a human monk tasked with finding special ancient texts with a set of troublesome companions, and among them, the most beloved and reviled character is Sun Wukong, a trickster Monkey God.

“The great” Sun Wukong will be played by Lee Seung-gi (You’re All Surrounded), who was just discharged from his military enlistment duties. And in the retelling, the monk character has been changed to a female character, “A human with the ability to see spirits,” played by Oh Yeon-seo (My Sassy Girl). The gentler counterpart to Lee Seung-gi’s mischievous Sun Wukong is the “Bull Demon King, God of Spirits,” played by Cha Seung-won (Hwajeong). Together they fight a world full of dark spirits, in search of light.

Spoiler

That’s all the teasers tell us; they don’t really give any more information regarding the story, but previous character and story synopses seem to indicate that it’ll take place primarily in the real estate and entertainment industries. Oh Yeon-seo’s character is supposed to be a real-estate mogul that builds her empire by selling houses that supposedly have bad juju attached to them. Meanwhile, Cha Seung-won plays the vain but gentlemanly CEO of the best talent agency in the country, employing Lee Hong-ki (Modern Farmer) who plays the nation’s top celebrity (and also an analogous character to the Pig God in the original novel).

I’m not quite sure what the hands of flame symbolize, but maybe it’s a cleansing fire to exorcise the spirits? Either way, I’m excited to see the bromance between Cha Seung-won and Lee Seung-gi again because You’re All Surrounded was not enough! Saturday-Sunday drama Hwayugi will begin airing on December 23 on tvN.

Via dbeans

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kimia_spr said:

I have a question..

Is cha seung won character villain or good? Somewhere I read  he is bad somewhere good.

Depending what article/information you stumble across, they will all tell you different things. It's not defined. Maybe he is, or maybe he'll become one as the story progresses.

If they base this off the original novel, all characters scream trouble. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

48 minutes ago, incoty said:

Depending what article/information you stumble across, they will all tell you different things. It's not defined. Maybe he is, or maybe he'll become one as the story progresses.

If they base this off the original novel, all characters scream trouble. 

But in the original novel there was only bromance since the monk was a guy aswell. 

• Like 1

Internet video company Netflix announced on Monday that it has signed a global copyright agreement for TV drama 'Hwayugi' through TVN.

"We are delighted to introduce a number of excellent Korean content to NetFlix subscribers around the world," said Rob Roy, vice president of content licensing at Netflix. "We will continue to strive to bring excellent Korean content to the world."

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2017/11/30/0200000000AKR20171130058400033.HTML

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1