[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

“Hwayugi” Drops Photos Of Lee Seung Gi From First Script Reading

Lee-Seung-Gi3-e1512097389433.jpg

tvN’s upcoming weekend drama “Hwayugi” (also known as “A Korean Odyssey”) has released photos from their first script reading!

On December 1, tvN uploaded photos of Lee Seung Gi focusing on his script and paying attention to the other cast and staff members. The actor will be playing the character Son Oh Gong for his first drama since being discharged from the military.

Written by the Hong Sisters, “Hwayugi” is a reinterpretation of the Chinese classic novel “Journey to the West.” Jin Sun Mi (Oh Yeon Seo) is a successful real estate CEO who has the ability to expel bad luck. Her life gets complicated, however, once she meets a charismatic businessman named Son Oh Gong (Lee Seung Gi) and an entertainment company CEO named Woo Hwi Chul (Cha Seung Won).

The drama will be airing its first episode on December 23 at 9 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

December 1 2017

First script reading for tvN drama series “A Korean Odyssey”

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR1.jpg

First script reading for upcoming tvN drama series “A Korean Odyssey” took place November 4, 2017. At the first script reading, main cast members including Lee Seung-Gi, Cha Seung-Won, Oh Yeon-Seo, Lee Hong-Ki (‘F.T. Island’), Yoon Bo-Ra (ex-‘Sistar’ member), Lee El, Kim Sung-Oh, Sung Hyuk, Sung Ji-Ru and Jang Gwang all attended.

In addition, Netflix just signed a contract with the production company to stream “A Korean Odyssey” worldwide. “A Korean Odyssey” first airs December 23, 2017 in South Korea.

Pictures with the other cast.

Spoiler

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR2.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR3.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR4.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR5.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR6.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR7.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR8.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR9.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR10.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR11.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR12.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR13.jpg

A-Korean-Odyssey-SR14.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/30/2017 at 4:56 PM, larus said:

Internet video company Netflix announced on Monday that it has signed a global copyright agreement for TV drama 'Hwayugi' through TVN.

"We are delighted to introduce a number of excellent Korean content to NetFlix subscribers around the world," said Rob Roy, vice president of content licensing at Netflix. "We will continue to strive to bring excellent Korean content to the world."

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2017/11/30/0200000000AKR20171130058400033.HTML

December 1, 2017

Netflix will distribute tvN’s ‘Hwayugi’ globally

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Korean drama “Hwayugi” featuring actors Cha Seung-won and Lee Seung-gi has signed a distribution contract with Netflix for overseas markets, cable channel tvN annouced on Thursday.

The drama is a modern adaptation of “Pilgrimage to the West,” an ancient Chinese novel. The first episode will premiere on Dec. 23.

“I am happy to introduce great Korean content, including ‘Hwayugi’ to Netflix users. I will continue to try my best to bring more good pieces from Korea to the world,” said Robert Roy, Netflix’s vice president of content acquisition.

According to Netflix, they plan to distribute the tvN drama, “Prison Playbook,” which is currently airing in Korea and “Argon,” a drama featuring actor Kim Joo-hyuk, who passed away last month.

Other Korean pieces such as movies “Veteran,” (2014) “A Violent Prosecutor,” (2015) and drama “Strong Woman Do Bong-soon” (2017) are available on Netflix as well.

By Hong You-kyoung

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

http://www.hancinema.net/orion-s-daily-ramblings-the-battle-begins-in-new-hwayugi-teasers-112894.html

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] The Battle Begins in New "Hwayugi" Teasers

Get ready for superpowers, expensive fashion and fancy settings, because "Hwayugi" is all about style in its brand new teasers. Lee Seung-gi is literally hot, Cha Seung-won is channeling the snazziest of demons and Oh Yeon-seo is going to Mary Poppins the heck out of some monster-folk.

It's good to see some of the potential manifestations of the characters' otherworldly attributes and it looks like our heroine has a few tricks up her sleeve, or rather umbrella. The cheesy screams by our two leading men do kind of yank me out of the cool setting, but between this and the googly-eyed enemies that look like they came straight out of an anime, I'm guessing the whole thing is supposed to look cartoonish.

We haven't gotten to the point of seeing actual scenes from the drama yet, so these teasers may just be proof of concept and I imagine a lot will be changing anyway. I still hope the series does not take itself too seriously, because the Hongs are fun when they have fun and that may be all it takes for this to be enjoyable.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/12/lee-seung-gi-lights-his-hands-in-fire-oh-yeon-seo-sees-demons-with-her-umbrella-more-in-hwayugi-character-teaser-clips

Lee Seung Gi lights his hands in fire, Oh Yeon Seo sees demons with her umbrella, & more in 'Hwayugi' character teaser clips

tvN's upcoming modern fantasy drama 'Hwayugi' has revealed character teaser clips of its three main trouble makers: Lee Seung Gi, Cha Seung Won, and Oh Yeon Seo!

The drama is a Korean, modern retelling of the 'Journey to the West' story, with Lee Seung Gi transforming into the role of Sun Wukong or Son Oh Gong. In his teaser clip, he describes himself as the "decadent fiend spirit". In Cha Seung Won's teaser clip, he describes himself as "the god of demons, the bull demon king". 

Oh Yeon Seo, sporting a polka-dotted yellow umbrella with a written charm hidden on the inside, says, "I am a human who can see demons. I am the monk." 

Curious about how these three trouble makers will come together? You can catch the premiere of 'Hwayugi' this December 23 at 9PM KST!

• Like 4

Watch: “Hwayugi” Releases Additional Character Teasers For Lee Seung Gi, Oh Yeon Seo, And Cha Seung Won

Lee-Seung-Gi-Oh-Yeon-Seo-Cha-Seung-Won-e

vN’s upcoming drama “Hwayugi” has released additional character teaser videos for its main characters Lee Seung Gi, Oh Yeon Seo, and Cha Seung Won.

“Hwayugi” is a reinterpretation of the Chinese classic novel “Journey to the West.” Lee Seung Gi will play the rebellious monster Son Oh Gong, while Oh Yeon Seo will play Jin Sun Mi, a human who has the ability to see demons. Cha Seung Won will take on the role of Woo Ma Wang, the god of monsters.

Lee Seung Gi’s teaser video shows him gathering fire in his fists, before turning around and running towards a crowd of demon monsters.

In her teaser video, Oh Yeon Seo says, “I am a human who can see the demons,” as she wields a yellow polka-dotted umbrella with a charm written inside against the demon monsters.

Finally, Cha Seung Won undergoes an evil transformation in his teaser video with his eyes turning black as he stands in front of the demon monsters and asserts himself as the god of the monsters.

The teasers provide a further look at the three main characters and preview the excitement to come. “Hwayugi” will air its first episode on December 23 at 9 p.m. KST.

morehttps://www.soompi.com/2017/12/01/watch-hwayugi-releases-additional-character-teasers-lee-seung-gi-oh-yeon-seo-cha-seung-won/
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2017 at 1:26 AM, incoty said:

Depending what article/information you stumble across, they will all tell you different things. It's not defined. Maybe he is, or maybe he'll become one as the story progresses.

If they base this off the original novel, all characters scream trouble. 

Thanks alot @incoty I saw bad mans behind him!!!

But since Im persian i dont know anything about the story and the novel did not translate  in over languge im so confused. I tried to read wikipedia but because my eng is not very good I become more confused. 

Maybe I should watch monkey king and journey to the west Chinese movies.

Do you or any one else think it would help? And hopefully maybe there will be persian subtitle for them!!!!!!!! 

• Like 3

Two demons and a human woman face off in Hwayugi

by tipsymocha

hwayugi-teaser202.jpg

Very cool. I love the stylish teasers that have been coming out of the Hong sisters’ newest fantasy drama Hwayugi, though they don’t really give much away in terms of plot. I’m trying not to let my hopes get too high, but it’s difficult when the main leads are Lee Seung-gi (You’re All Surrounded), Cha Seung-won (Hwajeong), and Oh Yeon-seo (My Sassy Girl), all looking badass and ready to kick some demonic butt.

First, we have Lee Seung-gi’s Sun Wukong, aka the mischievous Monkey God, who introduces himself as “decadent and devilish.” I’m loving the decidedly rascally vibe he’s giving off from this short teaser, and I’m looking forward to the havoc I’m sure he’ll be wreaking in the show. Next, we have another powerful demon in Cha Seung-won’s Bull Demon King, who descends (ascends?) from hell in the teaser, with steaming tar covering his white shoes. He might look genteel and suave on the outside, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s the “king of demons,” as he declares in front of his masked followers.

And last but not least is Oh Yeon-seo, playing the rare human in Hwayugi’s mythical lineup. She wields an umbrella with a talisman attached underneath, which doubles as a weapon against evil spirits. She calls herself a “human with the ability to see demons,” and I can’t wait to see her whacking demons out of the way with her umbrella. I’m curious to see how the allegiances line up, since it looks like Lee Seung-gi and Oh Yeon-seo’s characters are facing off the same horde of demons that stood behind Cha Seung-won, which does suggest there might be some epic fighting among our leads, at least in the beginning.

Read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/12/two-demons-and-a-human-woman-face-off-in-hwayugi/

• Like 3

December 3, 2017

Cha Seung-won Takes a Selfie During "Hwayugi"

Source: Xportsnews via HanCinema.net

photo916625.jpg

Actor Cha Seung-won took a selfie in the middle of filming "Hwayugi".

He posted it on his Instagram with the hashtags, "Hwayugi", "King Woo-ma", "waiting", "my eyes hurt".

In the picture, Cha Seung-won is slightly frowning at the camera. The black and white matches his aura well.

Cha Seung-won is currently filming the new tvN weekend drama "Hwayugi" starring Lee Seung-gi, Oh Yeon-seo, Lee Hong-ki, Lee Se-yeong, Kim Ji-soo, Bora, Lee El, Sung Hyuk, and more.

Meanwhile, "Hwayugi" depicts the journey of seeking the light in the dark world of 2017 where the evil is rampant.

• Like 4

Lee Seung Gi Makes Bold Transformation In First Stills For “Hwayugi”

Hwayugi.jpg

Upcoming tvN drama “Hwayugi” has released its first stills!

“Hwayugi” is a romantic fantasy drama based on ancient Chinese novel “Journey to the West.” Lee Seung Gi will be starring as Son Oh Gong (based on Sun Wukong).

The newly released images are from Lee Seung Gi’s first filming, which was held on November 13 in Gyeonggi Province. He is seen deeply contemplating while sporting a patterned jacket with a large fur coat on top.Lee-Seung-Gi.jpg

Lee Seung Gi shared, “After reading the ‘Hwayugi’ script, I felt that my comeback project can’t be better than this. The Hong Sisters’ script that perfectly reinterpreted the familiar story of ‘Journey to the West’ was so exciting and fun.”

more https://www.soompi.com/2017/12/03/lee-seung-gi-makes-bold-transformation-first-stills-hwayugi/

• Like 2

ChaSeungWon told Donga, "Since Lee Seunggi joined filming as soon as he was discharged from the military, there's an overwhelming fighting energy. Our characters are set up to be in opposition to one another but the atmosphere's great because we work in perfect harmony."

That's great to hear.

• Like 3