[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Lee Se Young Confirmed For Upcoming Hong Sisters’ Drama Alongside Oh Yeon Seo, Lee Hong Ki, And Cha Seung Won

Lee-Se-Young1.jpg

Lee Se Young has been confirmed as the latest actress to join the cast of tvN’s Saturday-Sunday drama “Hwayugi.”

“Hwayugi” is a romantic fantasy story based off an ancient novel about finding the light in a dark world. It will tell the story of a decadent hooligan and rebellious monster named Son Oh Gong, and a charming celebrity and pretentious monster named Woo Ma Wang.

Lee Se Young will play the role of a zombie woman named Ah Sa Nyuh. She is a woman that moves around in a dead zombie body. A source from the drama said, “Lee Se Young’s role of Ah Sa Nyuh is a cute zombie woman who takes care of her body because it is rotting. It is a unique character you won’t find anywhere else.”

more https://www.soompi.com/2017/10/25/lee-se-young-confirmed-upcoming-hong-sisters-drama-alongside-oh-yeon-seo-lee-hong-ki-cha-seung-won/

• Like 3

Bora And Kim Ji Soo Confirmed For tvN’s Romantic Fantasy Drama “Hwayugi”

Bora-Kim-Ji-Soo-e1509333159532.jpg

More cast members are being confirmed for tvN’s upcoming weekend drama called “Hwayugi,” written by the Hong sisters. The latest to to join the cast are former SISTAR member Bora and actress Kim Ji Soo.

“Hwayugi” is a romantic fantasy drama based off an ancient novel about finding the light in a dark world. The story will revolve around a decadent hooligan and rebellious monster named Son Oh Gong and a charming celebrity and pretentious monster named Woo Ma Wang.

In the drama, Bora will be playing top star Alice, who somehow ends up as living as the Dragon King’s son Okryong. She is also the top celebrity of Woo Ma Wang’s entertainment agency Lucifer.

Kim Ji Soo will be making a short but powerful appearance as Woo Ma Wang’s first love. A source from the drama stated, “[The drama] has become more confident with Kim Ji Soo’s addition. She will be a treat for viewers to watch, with her meticulous, detailed acting.”

more https://www.soompi.com/2017/10/29/bora-kim-ji-soo-confirmed-tvns-romantic-fantasy-drama-hwayugi/

• Like 2

Bora and Kim Ji-soo join Hwayugi as top star and first love

by tipsymocha

bora-kimjisoo-hwayugi.jpg
Bora, Kim Ji-soo

We’ve got two more cast members for the already impressive, sprawling cast confirmed for tvN’s upcoming fantasy drama Hwayugi: Former Sistar idol member Bora (Doctor Stranger) and Kim Ji-soo (Hwarang) will play two characters revolving around Cha Seung-won’s (Hwajeong) Bull Demon King, whose human world persona, Woo Hwi-chul, is the CEO of Korea’s largest entertainment company.

I kind of love how some male characters in the original Journey to the West epic are being turned into female roles, and I wonder how that dichotomy will play out in the show. Bora will join the mythical majority of the cast as top star Alice who is signed onto the Bull Demon King’s entertainment company, aptly named Lucifer. This would make her a colleague of fellow in-show celebrity PK, played by Lee Hong-ki (Modern Farmer), whose mythical counterpart Zhu Bajie (or the Pig) has the power to seduce women and suck their life force.

Alice, has “unwittingly” lived as the Jade Dragon, son of one of the four Dragon Kings. Hm, so is her dragon half lying dormant inside her human half? Either way, I’ll be interested to find out whether her popularity as a celebrity has something to do with her dragon powers, similar to PK. I don’t recall ever seeing Bora act in anything, though it looks like she’s had small parts in Doctor Stranger and Shut Up Family, but I’ve enjoyed her appearances in variety shows, so I’m hoping her likability helps add to a positive performance.

Kim Ji-soo’s role is described as more of a special appearance than a main one, but she’ll be an important figure in Woo Hwi-chul’s life, because she’s his first love and dramaland mandates that first loves are highly important. Her mythological counterpart is Princess Iron Fan, wife of the Bull Demon King, who has a particularly antagonistic relationship with Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, who will potentially be played by Lee Seung-gi (You’re All Surrounded) if he confirms. It’s almost comical how much at odds they are at times in the original Journey to the West saga: At one point, Sun Wukong turns into a fly in order to enter her stomach, where he proceeds to punch her guts until she hands over her fan.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/10/bora-and-kim-ji-soo-join-hwayugi-as-top-star-and-first-love/

• Like 2

Lee Seung-gi hits the ground running after army discharge

leeseunggi-discharge2.jpg

Puppy’s baaacckkkk!! And we won’t have to wait long to see Lee Seung-gi grace our screens once again, yay! He’s left the army for all of a day (he was discharged on October 31), and according to reports, he’s raring to get back to work. Which is great news for those of us who’ve been awaiting his return eagerly. I mean, some of us have been counting.

First up in the pipeline, of course, is tvN’s upcoming fantasy rom-com Hwayugi. Reports are saying he’s pretty much confirmed, and that the rest of the cast who have already signed on are operating under the assumption that he has all but officially joined the project. Hwayugi marks one of several reunions for Lee Seung-gi: His You’re All Surrounded costar Cha Seung-won is up to play the Bull Demon King, and he’s worked with the Hong sisters before, in My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho. Lee Seung-gi’s role in Hwayugi is Sun Wukong, the mischievous Monkey King who butts heads with Oh Yeon-seo (My Sassy Girl), the monk who holds the key to his locked powers.

DMqSX7KU8AAYcxs.jpg:large

There’s also a chance that we may get to see Lee Seung-gi even before Hwayugi premieres in December, on the big screen in the sageuk rom-com Compatibility, which also stars Shim Eun-kyung (The Mayor) and Yeon Woo-jin (Seven Day Queen). Filming for Compatibility wrapped up before Lee Seung-gi enlisted, so it’s kind of amazing that it’s only just coming out now that he’s been discharged.

I’m also eager to see Lee Seung-gi back in variety, as a long-time collaborator (or slave) of Na PD. It would be so awesome to see him reunite with his 1 Night 2 Days hyungs in a new season of New Journey to the West, which would also tie in nicely with his new drama. Though it might be strange to see him not be the youngest of the group with Mino as a cast member.

It’s just really nice to have him back, especially since this is a particularly hard year for enlisting leading men. And also, eager to take on work so quickly after his return: Lee Seung-gi told reporters that he has so much energy and will do so many projects that his fans will have a hard time keeping up with him. You’ve all been warned!

Via Dbeans

• Like 3

https://www.soompi.com/2017/11/03/lee-seung-gi-officially-confirmed-starring-hong-sisters-upcoming-drama-hwayugi/

Lee Seung Gi Officially Confirmed To Be Starring In Hong Sisters’ Upcoming Drama “Hwayugi”

Lee Seung Gi has decided on his first acting project after fulfilling his military service!

tvN’s upcoming Saturday-Sunday drama “Hwayugi” has confirmed that Lee Seung Gi will be playing the lead role of Son Oh Gong.

Based on an ancient novel, “Hwayugi” will tell the tale of a self-indulgent hooligan of a monster Son Oh Gong and elegant yet pretentious monster Woo Ma Wang (Cha Seung Won), and their quest to find the light in a dark world.

At first glance, Lee Seung Gi’s character Son Oh Gong is a charismatic individual who boasts a striking fashion sense and a huge sense of pride. In reality, he is a devilish monster who loves to indulge himself, even to the point of challenging the Great Jade Emperor to a fight. While he made a name for himself through his skilled use of demon powers and martial arts, he was banished to the human world and had his powers sealed after committing a grave mistake. He ends up on a journey to dispel the evil spirits of the world after a ill-fated meeting with Woo Ma Wang and Jin Sun Mi (Oh Yeon Seo).

The production team commented, “This is a casting that we labored so much over because Lee Seung Gi was already in our minds when we were making the character of Son Oh Gong. It is a huge honor for us producers as well that Lee Seung Gi has chosen ‘Hwayugi’ as his first production since being discharged from the army. We’re excited because we think that Lee Seung Gi will be able to show an aspect to his acting that he has not before through Son Oh Gong. We will showcase a drama that is worthy of its star-studded cast.”

Written by the well-known “Hong Sisters,” “Hwayugi” will be directed by Park Hong Gyun. Other confirmed cast members include Cha Seung Won, Oh Yeon Seo, Le Se Young, FTISLAND’s Lee Hong Ki, Kim Ji Soo, Bora, and rapper ONE.

“Hwayugi” is set to premiere on December 23 at 9 p.m. KST.

• Like 3

FTISLAND’s Lee Hong Ki Teases His Look For tvN’s Upcoming Drama “Hwayugi”

FTISLAND-Lee-Hong-Ki.jpg

FTISLAND’s Lee Hong Ki has given fans a sneak peek of what they can expect from him in his new drama, “Hwayugi”!

On November 2, the singer and actor posted a couple of photos on his personal Instagram account with the captions “#drama #start #Hwayugi” and “#Hong P.K” respectively.

It looks like fans will be able to enjoy Lee Hong Ki rocking short blond hair in his new role, in which he plays P.K, a pig monster who lives as a top global star.

“Hwayugi” will be led by the Hong Sisters and is a romantic fantasy drama that is based on the ancient novel “New Journey to the West.” Lee Hong Ki will be working with Oh Yeon Seo and Cha Seung Won, with Lee Seung Gi and Bora also in talks to join the show.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/11/03/ftislands-lee-hong-ki-teases-look-tvns-upcoming-drama-hwayugi/

The drama is set to begin airing in December.

• Like 1

Nov 4 2017

Lee Seung-Gi cast in tvN drama series “Hwayuki”

Hwayki-SM44.jpg

Lee Seung-Gi is cast for the lead male role in upcoming tvN drama series “Hwayuki” co-starring Cha Seung-Won and Oh Yeon-Seo. In the drama series, Lee Seung-Gi will play Son O-Gong. His character possesses a special power and he excels in the martial arts. He commits a major misdeed in Heaven which causes him to get kicked out and sent to Earth. While among the humans, Son O-Gong gets involved with King Wooma (Cha Seung-Won) and Jin Sun-Mi (Oh Yeon-Seo ). Son O-Gong and King Wooma then begin a journey  to sweep out the demons disturbing this world. For Lee Seung-Gi, this will be his first acting role since being discharged from the military on October 31, 2017. The drama series is based on the classic Chinese novel“Journey to the West,” but set in the present day.

“Hwayuki” will first air December, 2017 in South Korea.

http://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/lee-seung-gi-cast-in-tvn-drama-series-hwayuki

• Like 2

2 hours ago, incoty said:

Does anyone have any idea about the budget of this show? Or tvN shows in general? Can we expect anything grandeur?

I don`t know what grandeur will mean for a kdrama. I mean I don`t have a reference point. I personally want a good drama not just a big budget one. I think Goblin had a high budget and it was on tvN as well. Maybe that`s what you wanted to hear. Cable Tv stations have many good projects. I hope Hwayugi will be one of them.

• Like 4