[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

October 17, 2017

Cha Seung-won will star in tvN’s ‘Hwayugi’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

16222327.jpg

Actor Cha Seung-won has been cast in the leading role of the upcoming tvN drama titled “Hwayugi,” which will premiere in December, according to the cable channel.

“Hwayugi” is modern adaptation of an ancient Chinese novel titled “Pilgrimage to the West.” The romantic-fantasy drama will feature Cha as U Ma-wang, a popular celebrity who becomes a monster that a resembles a white cow. 

The plot unfolds as Ma-wang encounters a wicked villain named Son O-gong and a Buddhist monk named Jin Seon-mi - two characters who were at odds with Ma-wang in the past. 

“For the character U Ma-wang, we thought about casting Cha from the very beginning. We think he’ll perfectly suit the character in the drama,” said the producers in a statement. 

This is Cha’s second appearance in a drama written by the famed drama-writing duo, the Hong sisters. His first Hong sisters’ drama was “The Greatest Love” (2011), in which he appeared with actress Gong Hyo-jin.

By Hong You-kyoung

• Like 3

Oh Yeon Seo Confirmed For Hong Sisters’ New Drama

Oh-Yeon-Seo.jpg

Actress Oh Yeon Seo has been confirmed as the female lead for upcoming tvN drama “Hwayugi.”

“Hwayugi” is a reinvented romantic fantasy based off an ancient novel. It will tell the story of finding the light in a dark world where evil runs rampant. A fight between a decadent hooligan and rebellious monster Son Oh Gong and a charming celebrity and pretentious monster Woo Ma Gong takes place in the drama. Actor Cha Seung Won has been confirmed to play the role of Woo Ma Gong, while it is rumored that Lee Seung Gi may play the role of Son Oh Gong.

Oh Yeon Seo will play the role of Jin Sun Mi, the head of “Big Debt Realtors” that only handles haunted and deserted houses of failed businesses. She is both beautiful and wealthy, but lacks friendliness. She also gets stuck in a love triangle with Son Oh Gong and Woo Ma Wang, both of whom she did not get along with in the past.

A source from the drama said, “Jin Sun Mi portrayed by Oh Yeon Seo is a unique character that has never been seen before in dramas. She plays a key role as a character that all of the evil spirits are looking for, as well as the character in the middle of a unique love triangle between Oh Gong and Woo Ma Wang.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/10/16/oh-yeon-seo-confirmed-hong-sisters-new-drama/

• Like 5

Oh Yeon-seo to headline fantasy romance drama Hwayugi

by tineybeanie

ohseoo.jpg

Going from princess to monk, My Sassy Girl’s Oh Yeon-seo has confirmed fantasy romance drama Hwayugi as her next project. Based on classic Chinese novel Journey to the West, this Hong sisters drama keeps the central conflict the same—a monk battling evil spirits that run rampant in the world—but brings the story with a romantic modern-day twist.

Oh Yeon-seo is set to play Jin Sun-mi, the monk who teams up with Sun Wukong, the trickster Monkey King, and the charismatic but vain Bull Demon King to defeat the evil spirits. Currently, Lee Seung-gi (Love Forecast) is being courted for the role of Sun Wukong, and Cha Seung-won (Hwajeong) recently confirmed that he’ll play the Bull Demon King. Along the way, they inevitably fall into a love triangle.

Jin Sun-mi is a big-time real estate CEO who resells haunted houses, deserted houses, houses of mourning, basically any house with bad chi for a profit. She’s wealthy, beautiful, and has an unyielding tenacity that makes her so good at her job. Her only downside is that she’s not the friendliest, which is making me anticipate meet-cute misunderstandings and squabbles.

More http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/10/oh-yeon-seo-to-headline-fantasy-romance-drama-hwayugi/

• Like 5

Lee Hong Ki confirmed for drama Hwayugi

FTISLAND’s Lee Hong Ki To Make Drama Comeback With Hong Sisters’ Upcoming Project

Lee-Hong-Ki.jpg

Lee Hong Ki has confirmed his first drama appearance in three years!

On October 18, it was revealed that the FTISLAND member will be playing the role of P.K in the Hong Sisters’ upcoming tvN drama “Hwayugi.”

Based off of the character Zhu Bajie from “Journey to the West,” he is a pig monster who is living as top global star P.K. With his popularity and sociability, he will gain information and go back and forth between Son Oh Gong and Woo Ma Wang.

A source from the drama commented, “We are looking forward to the energy that Lee Hong Ki’s excellent acting skills and bright charms will bring to the drama.”

“Hwayugi” is a romantic fantasy drama based on ancient novel “Journey to the West.” Oh Yeon Seo will be starring as Jin Sun Mi, and Cha Seung Won will be playing Woo Ma Wang. Lee Seung Gi and Bora are also in talks to join.

The tvN weekend drama is set to premiere in December.

Source (1)

https://www.soompi.com/2017/10/17/ftislands-lee-hong-ki-make-drama-comeback-hong-sisters-upcoming-project/

• Like 3

Bora Considers Role For Hong Sisters’ Upcoming tvN Drama

Bora2.jpg

On October 18, a source from Bora’s agency Hook Entertainment revealed, “Bora has received an offer for the drama ‘Hwayugi.’ She’s received the offer but nothing has been decided yet. Her character has yet to be decided upon.”

If confirmed, Bora may be starring in the drama alongside Hook Entertainment labelmate Lee Seung Gi, who is also in talks to join. It was previously confirmed that Oh Yeon Seo and Cha Seung Won would star in the drama.

“Hwayugi” is a romantic fantasy drama based on an ancient novel about how indulgent hooligan and rebellious monster Son Oh Gong and charming but pretentious celebrity and monster Woo Ma Gong fight to find the light in a dark and evil world.

More https://www.soompi.com/2017/10/17/bora-considers-role-hong-sisters-upcoming-tvn-drama/

• Like 4

I'm a big fan of Oh Yeon Seo so i'll be anticipating this drama..

MSG her previous work was quite disappointing for me but i totally can't wait  for Hong Sisters drama.  I need to see her in a rom-com written by a well known writer :)

• Like 5

October 18 2017

Lee Hong-Ki cast in tvN drama series “Hwayuki”

Hwayki-SM33.jpg

Lee Hong-Ki from ‘F.T. Island’ is cast in upcoming tvN drama series “Hwayuki” starring Cha Seung-Won and Oh Yeon-Seo. Actor Lee Seung-Gi is still considering an offer to play the lead male character and Yoon Bo-Ra from ‘Sistar’ is considering an offer to play a supporting female character.

For the drama series, Lee Hong-Ki will play P.K. His character is Zhu Bajie in the original classic Chinese novel “Journey to the West” which the drama series is based on. P.K is scripted as a top star and he gets various information based on his popularity and social skills. With the information he comes and goes between Son O-Gong and Woo Hwi-Cheol (Cha Seung-Won).”Hwayuki” will first air December, 2017 in South korea.

http://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/lee-hong-ki-cast-in-tvn-drama-series-hwayuki

• Like 4

Lee Se Young And Rapper ONE In Talks To Star In Hong Sisters’ Upcoming Drama

Lee-Se-Young-ONE.jpg

More potential cast members are being unveiled for upcoming drama “Hwayugi”!

On October 19, sources from tvN shared that actress Lee Se Young and YG Entertainment rapper ONE are both positively discussing the offers to star in the drama.

ONE has been cast as a mysterious young man, which is a minor but memorable character. It has not yet been revealed which role Lee Se Young has been offered.

The drama is the next project by the Hong Sisters, who previously wrote hits such as “The Greatest Love,” “You’re Beautiful,” “Master’s Sun,” and “My Girlfriend is a Gumiho.” Oh Yeon Seo, Cha Seung Won, and FTISLAND’s Lee Hong Ki have been confirmed, and Lee Seung Gi is still considering the offer.

“Hwayugi” is set to premiere in December and air on Saturdays and Sunday.

Source (1) (2) (3)

https://www.soompi.com/2017/10/18/lee-se-young-rapper-one-talks-star-hong-sisters-upcoming-drama/

• Like 2

Hwayugi gains a mythical cast of characters

by tineybeanie

hwayugi_a.jpg

This casting lineup for tvN’s next fantasy romance Hwayugi is shaping up to be awesome. Recently, a slew of offers have gone out, and have returned with many confirmations. The first three to have officially signed on include Cha Seung-won (Hwajeong), Oh Yeon-seo (My Sassy Girl), and Lee Hong-ki (Modern Farmer)—whom I can already imagine as an amazing comedic trio.

Based on the epic Chinese novel Journey to the West, this drama tells the tale of a great odyssey, undertaken by a virtuous monk and his four companions to seek out scriptures in the West. For this modern retelling, Oh Yeon-seo plays the monk character, who was born with the fate to exorcise demons but works as a real-estate CEO who resells houses with notoriously bad luck. The offer to play Sun Wukong, the mischief-making Monkey King, is still out to Lee Seung-gi (You’re All Surrounded). He and Oh Yeon-seo’s character are supposed to become entangled in a love triangle with Cha Seung-won’s character, the Bull Demon King/entertainment CEO for the drama.

f Lee Seung-gi decides to make Hwayugi his army comeback project, it’ll be his second time working on a fantasy rom-com with the Hong sisters (the first being My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho), but I think I’m most looking forward to the reunion between the Hong sisters and Lee Hong-ki. To this day, You’re Beautiful’s lovable Jeremy remains one of the most memorable characters for me, and from his character synopsis in Hwayugi, I’m already feeling Jeremy vibes.

Lee Hong-ki’s new character is a top idol star (just like Jeremy) named PK, who’s based off the Zhu Bajie character (aka Pig) who was one of the monk’s four protectors in the novel. His two greatest vices are gluttony and lustfulness, and as you may suspect in the drama, Lee Hong-ki will be constantly fawned over by girls as the nation’s hottest flower boy celebrity.

hwayugi_d.jpg

Additionally, Sha Wujing (aka Friar Sand), the third and ugliest companion to the monk, will be played by Jang Gwang (Thief-nom, Thief-nim) who is a wealthy real estate chaebol in Hwayugi. Among the non-confirmed characters, Lee Se-young (The Best Hit) is considering a role as an idol group trainee Bong-soon, and Chu Ja-hyun (A Man Called God) has been offered an unspecified role that wasn’t in the original synopsis or myth. Furthermore, YG solo rapper ONE (Show Me the Money Season 5) is up to play a mysterious youth.

But I’ve been saving perhaps the best news of the day: Lee El (Black) has joined the cast! Step aside Oh Yeon-seo, Lee El is here to be Cha Seung-won’s right-hand woman. Her character is described as his secretary and number one follower, and I can’t wait to see their chemistry together. I almost don’t want there to be a Cha Seung-won/Oh Yeon-seo/Lee Seung-gi love triangle anymore. Can we get a parallel love line, pretty please?

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/10/hwayugi-gains-a-mythical-cast-of-characters/

• Like 3

Lee El joined the cast of Hwayugi. She will play the secretary of Cha seung Woo`s character.

article.jpg

http://news1.kr/articles/?3128420

I am glad she will be in this drama. Hope for many scenes with Cha Seung Woo. Maybe the CEO and his secretary will start to have feelings for each other and we won`t see a love triangle with the first leads. Everybody wants that. :)

• Like 4

It seams that 'Phantom Singer 2', the musical actor Michael Lee will apprear in drama Hwayugi and he will play the first love of JinSunMi (Oh Yeon-seo) on tvN drama.

3076686404_eCUtXDJF_EBA788EC9DB4ED81B4EB

http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=1015300

I am not familiar with him but I have a soft spot with musical actors so I am looking forward to see him in this drama.

• Like 2

Another cast... Actor Song Jong Ho who will be a handsome politician.

article.jpg

The actor Song Jong Ho will appear in TVN 's new weekend drama' Hwayugi ', which will be broadcasted in December. Song Jong-ho plays a powerful politician who dreams of the future of the Republic of Korea. He is a person who is overwhelmingly supported by female voters because of his gorgeous appearance and gentle attitude.

It seams to be in a storyline with Lee Se Young...

http://news1.kr/articles/?3130006

• Like 3

thanks for creating this thread and for updates!! the cast keep getting better and better specilat the second leads . most of them are amazing in their own way hopefully hwayugi will be the hit they are all looking for . 

i'm first and foremost excited about seung gi's reunion with hong sisters . MGIG was one of my first k drama's . and the reunion we deserve between seung gi and cha seung won. hong ki and seung gi use to sing duets together back in the day , hoping to see a adorable bromance . hong ki was awesome as jeremy in your beautifull . the charactor suits him so well. oh yeon soe i'm least familiar with , but after checking couple of episdose of comeback mr ajussi , she's perfect to pay dark comedic roles. 

i'm so glad that after a long tike i'm anitipating a drama where i'm really intrested to see the whole cast together not just for the leads  . 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, blairbex said:

i'm so glad that after a long tike i'm anitipating a drama where i'm really intrested to see the whole cast together not just for the leads  . 

I agree that they have a good assemble cast so I hope the Hong Sister will do them justice.

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

Is seunggi confirmed yet?he is making me anxious haha

I think he is a done deal but we`ll get a confirmation after he will be discharged from military.

I still remember when Cha Seung Won told that he will have a new drama  that will start filming in October and will be broadcast in December or January. That was in April at his fan meeting. And the public found out that he has an offer for Hwayugi in June and recently we had an official confirmation. Sometimes they wait to announce the news.

• Like 3

Rapper ONE to make his acting debut!

By beansss   2 days ago   17,816   12,065   29

one-one.jpg

one,one
It's been confirmed that rapper ONE will make his acting debut!

YG Entertainment told news outlets on October 19, "ONE will appear in tvN's new drama 'Hwayugi' as a mysterious character deemed the 'Young Man'." 

The romantic fantasy drama will be a modern depiction of the famous 'Journey to the West' story. So far, the lead cast includes Cha Seung Won, Oh Yeon Seo, and F.T. Island's Hongki. It is set to air some time in December. 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/10/rapper-one-to-make-his-acting-debut

• Like 2

Actress Kim Ji-soo is expected to appear in "Hwayugi" instead of Chu Ha Jun.   Chu Ja Hyun is pregnant with her first child and she decided to step down from the role. She announced recently that she is two months pregnant.

20171024115900332.jpg

A drama official said on the 24th , "Kim Ji-soo has decided to appear on tvN Saturday's drama" Hwayugii "which is broadcasted in December."  Kim Ji-soo will replace  Chu Ja-hyeon, who was originally scheduled to take the role. She will play the first love of Cha Seung Won`s character ( Woo Hwi-Cheol ).

http://news.jtbc.joins.com/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB11539251

• Like 3