[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

20 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

She is so amazing, how multi-talented she is. You're probably right that she'll be getting more movie offers internationally. Sometimes that crossover can be difficult but hopefully it goes well for her. After watching Hotel del Luna recently, I've been even more impressed by what she did with her role as Lee Ji An.

I'm tempted by Hotel del Luna but my issue is most Korean shows are 16 episodes and well over an hour long each so it's quite an investment of time and even after finishing one episode of some shows I've started that seemed ok I was unsure as to if I should continue for example I've currently just finished the first episode of Extraordinary Attorney Woo and it seems nice enough but the way the episode finished it didn't really give an indication as to where the show was heading...it felt like all the problems and issues that were mentioned in the episode were kind of resolved and there was no real hints at what is coming next. Contrast this to My Mister which outside of the tone of the show just seemed to set the intrigue and drama up better from the first episode;

Why is the lead guy so down and depressed?

Why is this girl desperate and stealing stuff from work?

What's going to happen with the stolen envelope?

Will the lead find out his wife is cheating on him?

These are just some of the questions the show had already set up to be asked right after episode one and was part of the reason stayed with it. While I'm not expecting all shows to be the same I do hope that If I start Hotel del Luna it can kind of lay out it's long term direction for where the show is heading within the first episode or two. As much as I like Lee Ji-eun I can't stick with the show if it just kind of drifts from one episode to the next without any real structure.

Edited by AR_ S34

On 9/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, the_sweetroad said:

Sang Hoon definitely cries all the time, as Ki Hoon says. :lol: SH especially moved me in the restaurant scene in Ep 13 when he started crying after DH said, "Appa used to always say, 'It's not a big deal.'"

I think DH also cried when he was kneeling on the floor talking to YH about the affair (after he punched in the door), and he cried at the restaurant thinking about his dad. We also saw him shed a few tears here and there, mostly when it came to JA and her situation. But other than that, you're right, he always held it in, and finally shed cathartic tears in Ep 16.

OMG HAHAH so true! damn! DH indeed cried a few times. I was just remembering the times when he helded in, my bad lol.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, the_sweetroad said:

I agree with you to a point. I think KWS intentionally put in certain details that he wanted to lend consistency and symbolism to the overall story. However, once I realized that some of the dates that they showed onscreen didn't line up (especially in the month of February), I gradually stopped reading into the minute details of the show so much. I figured that since they shot it on a deadline, they probably couldn't - or didn't even think to - be as perfectionistic and minute as we sometimes attribute them as being.

That mindset has helped me enjoy rewatching the show a lot more, as I just take in the (more-obvious) details that are presented, and I've stopped hunting for things like calendar dates (my previous nemesis)! So I'm not as sure about the soccer games; maybe there's something there, but they flash across our screen so quickly that...maybe not? What I would love would be to interview KWS and PHY to hear the details and symbols that were actually on their minds as they went about crafting the story. :lol:

By the way I've enjoyed reading your perspective as an architect!

I'm starting to agree with you on this! specially now that I have read @YukawaCattle new post about the possibility of the football score be "forged". Maybe is my personality, sometimes I like to search for every little detail (thinking of them as being real)... I mean, to hunt calendar dates is very energetic to me, I find it very entertaining lmao!!

I do think that they did some things to show detail and perfection, but I'll make an effort to look at some of them with a possibility of being altered, forged, to fit the narrative.

I would give anything to watch a PHY and KWS honest (without hesitation) interview! lol

Oh, thank you very much! I wanted to cooperate with something, glad that I was able to :D

On 9/3/2022 at 12:32 PM, YukawaCattle said:

Yes. I guess the script arrangement of Dong-hoon's career should have a symbolic meaning.
And I think you should be able to feel the high synchronicity between Dong-hoon's career and MM's plot.
But this is just my conjecture.

I think that DH's career plays a huge part in MM. Everything starts to unfold because he was demoted, and he wasn't happy at his current job. He was earning less than before, that's why he was considering taking the money (and the story begins).

Actually, Dong-hoon has cried so many times.
But those scenes are always just one teardrop, something like that.
So you have to zoom in the screen so that you could found his teardrop clearly XD

(For example, zoom in the following two, LOL.)

LMAO!! The light illuminating a tiny tiny tear :D

Speaking of the soccer game, in fact, I personally think such a design is more of a symbol of "Park Dong-hoon's life," not necessarily "Park Dong-hoon vs. Kang Yoon-hee." After all, if it's "Park Dong-hoon vs Kang Yoon-hee," then the soccer game at the funeral seems to be unexplainable. After all, I always felt that the soccer game during the funeral was more like "Park Dong-hoon was in control of his life if he was with Lee Ji-an. That's why he had a great time at that game during the funeral."

Yes, I thought before that was "PDH vs. KYH" but it makes more sense that it is all about PDH's life. You guys already talked about this, every game that he played was related to his current moment, and I agree! So the real life football and the tv one, need to be related.

By the way, when it comes to this topic, I often hear some people saying that the scriptwriter and the director do not clearly show us the plot, so we can't be very sure about the story development. I am against this. After all, there are many times in life when there are no clear answers, people still can through gather information to understand what is more reasonable.

For me, those who say that the scriptwriter and the director don't show us very clearly the plot, are the ones who need to watch something that it's obvious and you don't need to think much.

Also not the topic, but related: it's nicer when you have to "second guess" actions based on what you know about them, than to have a narrator/or a charecter saying the characters feelings/intentions.

I don't know what you think about this article.

[Mirror] “I like Ms. Lee Ji-an" Actually Is Park Dong-hoon’s Confession

I've started but I couldn't finish yet, but I will and I will give you a reply! I find very interesting every comparison that you make, my faves are KH+YR with DH+JA and DH+YH with SH+AR :D 

And regarding this topic, one of the users on Douban combined Park Ki-hoon in MM and Han Seok-yool in Misaeng. I'll translate it for you some other day. I think his comment is nice.

lol I forgot who Han Seok Yool was, but before checking, I was like "oh man I think it was that skirt-addicted-guy", and it was and I agree! But take your time, you can send me whenever fits you best.

23 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

The dark clothes are always for home, and the white ones are for guest.

In MM EP5, FC Seoul is the home team, while Suwon Samsung Bluewings is the guest team. In EP16, the situation is reversed.

But in MM, the jerseys of the two teams did not change in these two games.

I was thinking about the players clothes, but in another way. If they played in winter, the players would be using long sleeve and gloves, but I didn't write this right back to you because it proves nothing lmao.

So what we have about this two games is:

EP.5                                                           Ep.16
- seoul x suwon                                         - suwon x seoul
- 1x1 (33.33min)                                      - 0x0 (28:34 min)
- second half                                            - first half
- clothes red and white                           - clothes red and white

Now it's obvious for us that it can't be the 12/08/2017 game because Suwon was wearing blue, not white. And both games they were playing in white (their second outfit).

By that, KWS picked the game 05/03/2017 to show us in both Ep.5 and Ep.16 (look at the billboard and just one guy is wearing gloves with long sleeves).
It's nice to look at the 05/03/2017 game at the minute 33:33 (second half), and the image doesn't match lmao. He indeed picked one game and changed everyting, time, score and first/second half.

@YukawaCattle you rock!  :partyblob:

Spoiler

spacer.png

And judging from the actual video, I guess the MM production team only bought the rights of 05/03/2017 this game.

I was thining about that when I was reading your comment lol, I so agree with you. :D

Let's summarize the above.

- The actual video is only used to symbolize Park Dong-hoon's life: Is it an old life or a new life?

- The soccer game results are told through the lines of characters.

- The soccer game is a kind of a story within a story: The result of the soccer game foreshadows Park Dong-hoon's life situation.

I was thinking yesterday: can't be both? I mean, the football game can symbolize PDH's life and gives us at the same time, a story within a story, about what is going to happen next.

-

20 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

As a counter-example, the male and female protagonists in the crime drama Stranger do not have a height difference.

This makes people visually look like the hero and heroine have friendship rather than romantic.

noooooo they're super romanticccc :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

About this one I have some doubts, I get it, but I don't know if they thought about this as well. For exemple, Song Sae Byeok and Kwon Nara, their height is almost the same and they have a romantic line. 

You know what I thought when I was reading your comment? I recently watched a french movie called "Portrait of a Lady on Fire", and the director was saying that the love between the two women needed to be equal for each other. At the beginning they weren't, some things were off balance. Gladly most of their differences were mutable, they were able to overcome. But also, the director chose two actresses that have the same height (she said in an interview that she wanted two actress with the same height). That way they were equal in everything. Was an interesting point of view.

Edited by dongans
  • Like 1

@YukawaCattleIn the second half of the show he certainly tears up a bunch! His emotions are finally slipping out. :)

On 9/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, AR_ S34 said:

Contrast this to My Mister which outside of the tone of the show just seemed to set the intrigue and drama up better from the first episode;

Why is the lead guy so down and depressed?

Why is this girl desperate and stealing stuff from work?

What's going to happen with the stolen envelope?

Will the lead find out his wife is cheating on him?

Yes, it turned out to be so much more suspenseful and "heavy" than expected, and many of us just had to watch Ep 2 to see what would happen with the bribe. The more I watch other shows, the more My Mister stands out - it's tight from beginning to end, even if the first few episodes are so hard to watch because of Ji An's situation and what she's doing to DH. I always tell people to at least watch through Ep 4, and then once they do that I encourage them to watch Ep 5 as that's when Dong Hoon and halmeoni make a connection. Then Ep 6 surprises us all with a heretofore unseen part of Dong Hoon's life, morning soccer. The plotting and pacing are all so well-done.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, AR_ S34 said:

While I'm not expecting all shows to be the same I do hope that If I start Hotel del Luna it can kind of lay out it's long term direction for where the show is heading within the first episode or two. As much as I like Lee Ji-eun I can't stick with the show if it just kind of drifts from one episode to the next without any real structure.

Did you get to start HDL? I've only watched it once, but it does have an overall story/ structure, and especially interesting is Man Wol (Lee Ji-eun)'s backstory, since she's 1000+ years old. As it was the first Hong sisters drama I had watched, I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd heard a lot about them. Have to say the show was much more enjoyable and funny than I'd expected.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:31 AM, dongans said:

Everything starts to unfold because he was demoted, and he wasn't happy at his current job. He was earning less than before,

Oh! I never caught that he had actually been demoted and was earning less than before. Do you remember where they said that? I know he was the "ace" of the design team (which seemed like a subjective, not official, designation) and he was moved to the safety team. I had thought that was a lateral move, which still "hurt" PDH since it meant he wasn't doing what he loved (and Dir Yoon was now his direct supervisor)..but was it actually a demotion where he ended up earning less?

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 9:30 PM, the_sweetroad said:

Did you get to start HDL? I've only watched it once, but it does have an overall story/ structure, and especially interesting is Man Wol (Lee Ji-eun)'s backstory, since she's 1000+ years old. As it was the first Hong sisters drama I had watched, I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd heard a lot about them. Have to say the show was much more enjoyable and funny than I'd expected.

No not yet but I do intend to start it sometime soon but at the moment I gave Vagabond a try, It's got a lot of action in it and I quite like it being part set in Morocco, makes a nice change.

New Event :issohappy:

All Things Fall! Bonus: Vote for the most anticipated upcoming dramas   :coolshades:

Chingus! We are back with a new event! It's about all things autumn. Moreover, we got lots of polls for you! Do check it out and let us know your thoughts about your about autumn. :yay:

News Flash • East Amwell Township, NJ • CivicEngage

Re: Your friendly neighbourhood EO Team

@confusedheart @partyon @Sleepy Owl and @agenth

This is a fun article. It's long, so below are just the My Mister-relevant sections, but the whole article is worth reading.

Source: https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/08/09/entertainment/television/kdrama-kdrama-script-korean-tv-show/20220809163753609.html

'Script books' see major surge in sales with popularity of K-dramas

spacer.png

Script books for "My Mister" (2018) [SEGYESA]

Korean bookstores have a new section to add to their aisles — K-drama scripts.

“Script books” of Korean TV series and films are seeing a surge in sales. According to online book retailer Yes24, 58 K-drama scripts have been published as books between January and July this year; a noticeable increase from 14 during the same period in 2020 and 48 in 2021. Sales are also on the rise, seeing a 93.2 percent growth in 2020, 54.5 percent in 2021 and 121 percent in 2022 compared to the previous years.

Following this trend, many script books of K-dramas and films from years ago were published this year, and are ranking high on the list of best-sellers. Screenwriter Park Hae-young of JTBC’s hit series “My Liberation Notes” (2022) had her previous work “My Mister,” which aired on tvN in 2018, published as a script book in March. Although it has been four years since the series ended, it is currently the fourth best-selling script book on Yes24.

A scene from "My Mister" (2018) starring Lee Sun-kyun and Lee Ji-eun (also known as IU). [TVN]

A scene from "My Mister" (2018) starring Lee Sun-kyun and Lee Ji-eun (also known as IU). [TVN]

“It’s been quite sometime after the show, but many people remember ‘My Mister’ as the best K-drama of their lives and say it holds a lot of meaning,” said editor Kang Hyun-ji of Segyesa, which published the series’ script books. “We thought a story this good will be read by many, no matter how much time has passed.”

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 4:30 AM, the_sweetroad said:

Oh! I never caught that he had actually been demoted and was earning less than before. Do you remember where they said that? I know he was the "ace" of the design team (which seemed like a subjective, not official, designation) and he was moved to the safety team. I had thought that was a lateral move, which still "hurt" PDH since it meant he wasn't doing what he loved (and Dir Yoon was now his direct supervisor)..but was it actually a demotion where he ended up earning less?

I don’t think the word “demotion” was ever used in the show. The phrase was “pushed the ace of the Design Team away to the Safety Inspection Team” as mentioned by the lead director in camp DH, as they were deliberating who to put forward as candidates for promotion. (ep 8, around 1:09:30 mark) He was insinuating that people above DH are threatened by his competence “because Mr. Park was climbing up the corporate ladder unchallenged.”

I’m not a civil engineer, so any inputs from one would be welcome. Technically it’s a lateral transfer for DH, and though compensation was not mentioned, I don’t think he’d be earning less. But generally, doing design work is considered more prestigious compared to safety work. As such, people in the design team would tend to have more visibility and upward mobility in their careers. Like say, an engineering firm’s COO or even the CEO would more likely come from the design team than from the safety team, if they are to come from the engineering teams. As sometimes they can come from Sales/Marketing  or from Finance.

So officially it's a lateral transfer, but practically a demotion for DH. But apparently he did so well while he was in Design, that the scheme to hide him in Safety as a political maneuver didn’t quite work out for Director Yoon.

And it just dawned on me now, based on the few lines that DH uttered in a phone conversation post-time skip, and also on the short clip of the work being done by Manager Seo, that DH’s new firm might not be a general engineering & construction company that Saman was, but could just be focused on providing safety-related work like consulting and safety advisory & design services. It makes sense as it was his safety team that he brought with him, and the cubicles of the safety team were just outside his room. And that gives credence to what @YukawaCattle mentioned, that the Chairman could have invested in DH’s firm as it was not competing directly with Saman. So looking back, his "demotion" to the Safety team has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

13 hours ago, actionscript said:

I’m not a civil engineer, so any inputs from one would be welcome. Technically it’s a lateral transfer for DH, and though compensation was not mentioned, I don’t think he’d be earning less. But generally, doing design work is considered more prestigious compared to safety work. As such, people in the design team would tend to have more visibility and upward mobility in their careers. Like say, an engineering firm’s COO or even the CEO would more likely come from the design team than from the safety team, if they are to come from the engineering teams. As sometimes they can come from Sales/Marketing  or from Finance.

So officially it's a lateral transfer, but practically a demotion for DH. But apparently he did so well while he was in Design, that the scheme to hide him in Safety as a political maneuver didn’t quite work out for Director Yoon.

I never worked in big companies of architecture as DH did in engineering, so was a bit of automatic when I said that he was demoted, sorry. Those scenes just gave me the feeling that he was demoted (and probably earning less), because was referred in a negative way going from design team to safe team afterwards.

Edited by dongans
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 5:17 AM, actionscript said:

Technically it’s a lateral transfer for DH, and though compensation was not mentioned, I don’t think he’d be earning less. But generally, doing design work is considered more prestigious compared to safety work. As such, people in the design team would tend to have more visibility and upward mobility in their careers. Like say, an engineering firm’s COO or even the CEO would more likely come from the design team than from the safety team, if they are to come from the engineering teams. As sometimes they can come from Sales/Marketing  or from Finance.

Thank you! Very helpful.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:37 PM, dongans said:

Those scenes just gave me the feeling that he was demoted (and probably earning less), because was referred in a negative way going from design team to safe team afterwards.

I found in an old post here on Soompi that even I used the term "demoted" in reference to DH moving from the Design Team to the Safety Team. It was when you mentioned the less pay that I thought more seriously about it. :lol:

But yes, the show made it clear that going from the Design Team to the Safety Team was a negative for DH, and that the managing directors themselves thought it was a negative, maybe even shameful thing. Poor guy.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:17 AM, actionscript said:

So looking back, his "demotion" to the Safety team has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Just going to isolate this sentence and put a spin on it, hope you don't mind. :)I imagine his move to the Safety Team made DH a quite well-rounded engineer. From designing new builds to later seeing what could happen to old builds, he had a wider experience and scope than did other engineers, probably. Indeed a blessing in disguise.

• Blob 2

On 9/26/2022 at 12:37 AM, dongans said:

I never worked in big companies of architecture as DH did in engineering, so was a bit of automatic when I said that he was demoted, sorry. Those scenes just gave me the feeling that he was demoted (and probably earning less), because was referred in a negative way going from design team to safe team afterwards.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:32 AM, the_sweetroad said:

I found in an old post here on Soompi that even I used the term "demoted" in reference to DH moving from the Design Team to the Safety Team. It was when you mentioned the less pay that I thought more seriously about it. 

But yes, the show made it clear that going from the Design Team to the Safety Team was a negative for DH, and that the managing directors themselves thought it was a negative, maybe even shameful thing. Poor guy.

I believe I’ve used the word “demotion” a number of times as well. Technicalities aside, in all intents and purposes, it is a demotion. Or in current parlance, “quiet firing.” :lol: If I’m put in the same situation, I will definitely interpret it as a not so subtle sign that my boss wanted me out. :sweatingbullets:

On 9/27/2022 at 1:32 AM, the_sweetroad said:

Just going to isolate this sentence and put a spin on it, hope you don't mind. :)I imagine his move to the Safety Team made DH a quite well-rounded engineer. From designing new builds to later seeing what could happen to old builds, he had a wider experience and scope than did other engineers, probably. Indeed a blessing in disguise.

Yup, agree!

I’ve encountered discussions before regarding the length of the time skip, and one factor that went into those believing the time skip must realistically be a bit longer than just a year, is due to the seeming speed that DH was able to put up his business, and its relative success. But that’s because everyone just assumed what DH started was a mini-Saman. So it’s making more sense to me now that he was able to set up an operation relatively quickly, and with less capital, as he focused on a smaller niche. And a startup focused on providing safety advisory work has lower barriers to entry compared to putting up a full-breadth engineering company.

And it makes business sense as well. With so many old buildings in Seoul compared to new buildings being built, the addressable market for safety consulting and advisory work is just so much bigger.

And nothing in this world is static. DH starting with safety work doesn’t mean he won’t expand his business down the road. Safety work could just be a point of entry for his enterprise.

On 9/28/2022 at 1:44 PM, YukawaCattle said:

It seems that Park Dong-hoon's ending is somewhat similar to MLN's Yeom Mi-jeong because they ended up doing a job that is not the one they most want to do in their heart.

(And they both like design. The only difference is that one is 3D while the other is 2D. LOL.)

I probably know why scriptwriter Park Hae-young has to do this kind of setting.

The reason is that the value she wants to convey is something she can't be responsible for others, so she couldn't present it too ideally.

"If the environment is bad, leave your environment."

Of course, people always think this way, but they also fear that changing to a new environment will make them worse.

Maybe that's why the scriptwriter didn't let Park Dong-hoon and Yeom Mi-jeong continue to do what they love the most after changing their environment because that would be too ideal.

So such a set-up probably is a compromise that says, "Although there's a chance that you won't be able to do what you want to do the most, you may be able to live happier than before."

I'm guessing she may be trying to convey this, which is why the protagonists of both MM and MLN have this "after changing work environments, they end up not doing what they originally liked best" set-up.

At first, DH is also not interested in the Director position since he loved doing technical work, and he believed he may not be a good fit as he’s not good in business and politics (ep 8). But by ep 10, he told Dir Wang he is now interested in the Director position, primarily due to his responsibilities to his family. In short, growing out of his comfort zone is the responsible thing to do. Again in current parlance, “adulting.” :D And by the end of the show, he pushed things even further by starting his own business. That means even less technical work for him down the road as his business grows, and more deal-making, selling, and general administration work.

I believe there was a change in DH's value system with regards to how he viewed his work, and that also formed part of his growth arc, on top of the desire & conscience thingie. :)

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

On 9/29/2022 at 12:06 PM, YukawaCattle said:

I wonder if Sang-hoon's " 'Come in for ramyeon' won’t mean anything else" is an irony of Ji-an's "I want to buy you something delicious."

We’ve pretty much established in past discussions that the epilogue at the end of ep 1 was created to serve as a contrast for the ending scene of the show. It’s some sort of a foreboding of the ending, but drawn out as an irony, as you mentioned.

And we can list down the things that are distinct between the two scenes:

-  The epilogue scene is very dark, aggravated by SH and KH wearing black jackets, while the ending scene is warm and bright and so were the clothes worn by DH and JA.

-  In the epilogue, SH is painting a town with only ahjussis in it: “There are no women. No one will find a woman.” In the ending scene, DH finds, and reunites, with a woman. If you follow the sequence of SH’s lines, “There are no women” means YH is no longer part of DH’s life. And then the irony is introduced: "No one will find a woman" went to DH finding JA.

-  The other major topic discussed in the epilogue, SH saying “Come in for ramyeon” not meaning anything else should logically correspond to JA’s “I’ll buy you dinner. I want to buy you something delicious” to mean something significant. Not necessarily something kinky, but definitely something more meaningful beyond just old friends catching up.

So yes, I think you are right! :partyblob:

So logically, before Dong-hoon could take the wiretap file to the police, he must listen to the content and ensure they were wiretap files before he took them to the police.

And I think the scriptwriter and the director wanted Dong-hoon to get the wiretap file is to make him hear that his love secret like "eating and drinking means he like you" was already known by Ji-an.

In short, Ji-an heard Dong-hoon's "thank you" means Dong-hoon's confession directly from the wiretapping process, and then Dong-hoon heard his "eating and drinking means like you" already knew by Ji-an from the wiretap file.

Another great catch there! I agree that it is reasonable to assume that before DH took the USBs to the police, he has listened to all its contents, the way Kwang Il did. So it follows that he knows that JA knew he liked her as well, because he’s been eating and drinking with her in the past.

DH has also learned from the files that JA knew his reluctance to thank her in the text exchange was that it would look like he was leading her on. So...

So when they finally shook hands, both sides actually understood what they were saying to each other.

So yes, perfectly said! With the words they spoke to each other at the end, both were able to read between the lines. 

On 9/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, YukawaCattle said:

Actually, the scene of EP8 you mentioned is something I've always wanted to mention, so I wanted to share my own opinion of view here.

In EP8, I guess Park Dong-hoon's main consideration was that he didn't want to confront Do Jun-young, so he was looking for an excuse to say he didn't like business, politics....etc. In other words, he only wants to use his words to say that he didn't want to run for the Director, but it was not necessarily that he cared about what he said from the bottom of his heart.

All of these contexts seem to point out that Park Dong-hoon's words in EP8 are really just an excuse, not something Dong-hoon thinks from the bottom of his heart. The main reason that Dong-hoon rejected Jung's advice is that he is worried his promotion would make him conflict with Do Jun-young.

Park Dong-hoon clearly wanted Do Jun-young to leave his life, and he knew that participating in the promotion would cause him and Do Jun-young to fight for each other's survival. This is why he accepted Jung's advice in EP8 and also why Park Dong-hoon gave himself an excuse to rationalize his actions in EP10: "I'm not doing this to conflict with Do Jun-young. I just want to fulfill my family obligations."

It was not until EP11 that he faced his desire for the election:

"Actually, I just want to crush Do Jun-young."

But I don't know what the scriptwriter's values are regarding "defeat the enemy in your life."

Maybe like what you mentioned, it's a journey of "adulting" and responsible.

But It seems that the process from "unrestricted courtesy to others" to "striving for one's own interests" is also a journey from conscience to desire.

Getting a promotion and then consequently, having to confront DJY is exactly what corporate politics entailed. So if DH is at first reluctant to be promoted because he dislikes being in conflict with DJY, then when he said that he is not good with business and politics, he is actually being honest and factual.

You’ve put on a great point though on how his hatred towards DJY seemed to loom larger in his motivations for the promotion as the story moved along. So it is this hatred that sparked something in him to learn to start embracing politics as a normal part of corporate life. And when he told Dir. Wang in ep 10 that his motivations for the promotion was due to his family responsibilities and that it got nothing to do with DJY, it’s an attempt by him to stick to his ideals and not be swayed by his emotions. And that is in itself a very political way to respond to the directors in that dinner. Haha! :D But he still didn’t hide the fact that he was more comfortable doing technical work than doing business tasks.

So when he pushed himself further in the end by putting up his own business, he forced himself to embrace the fact that he shouldn’t resign himself to just doing technical work for the rest of his life.

He learned to play politics, and he learned to do business. And that I believe is part of his growth arc in the story.

• Blob 2

Hello guys, I created this account to write something that I debated with @YukawaCattle on reddit.

I'm starting to read more about comedy and tragedy because of what Kim Won Seok said, that for him, My Mister is a comedy. I wanted to share with you all and maybe you guys have something to add or enlighten me in the process! :D

A quick reminder about comedy:

Spoiler

In general, for Aristotle, tragedy and epic talk about heroes, while comedy and satire talk about bad/inferior and ordinary men. Comedies originated in an improvised way, from phallic songs, with vulgar content. The comedians did not have a fixed house, they went from village to village, promoting their shows, which were simple, not noble (unlike tragedy), used vulgar and everyday language and showed a sense of the ridiculousness of man and his vices. Thus, comedy, a kind of genre destined to cause laughter by the representation of vices, and with a final purpose, the correction of human ethics.
So, a literary work doesn't necessarily have to be sexual humor or even be acted out to qualify as comedy. A happy ending comedy is enough as it has more to do with conventions, plot expectations and character than the need for vulgar jokes or caricatures. In short, a comedy is a story of the rise of fortune of a sympathetic protagonist.

So, I like very much the movie "Stranger than Fiction", because they talk a little bit about "tragedy x comedy". For those who never watched it, the movie is about our male lead, Harold Crick, he works for the IRS, he is a very methodic man, he counts the steps he takes, how many times he brushed his teeth, so he is very methodic and can be for some, a very boring person. So one day, he starts to listen to a female voice narrating everything that he does. He thinks that he is going nuts because she says things that he never said out lout but thought about it. He looks for a psychiatrist, she says that he has schizophrenia, but he asks for another option, and she recomends him to go to a literature teacher.

Professor Hilbert is one of the most prestigious one. And he thinks Harold is not that serious about the voice, until Harold says “little did he know that this unique and seemingly innocuous event would lead to his imminent death”. That triggers Prof. Hilbert's curiosity, because that means that the writer is hiding something from the character.

So in order to prevent his death, they need to discover if Harold is living in a tragedy or a comedy. Because for Professor Hilbert, "if it's a tragedy, the hero will die in the end. If it's a comedy, the hero will get married."

Stranger than Fiction script below:

Spoiler

PROF. HILBERT
I think the next step is to determine conclusively if you're in a comedy or a tregedy. To quote Italo Calvino, "The ultimate meaning to which all stories refer has two faces: the continuity of life, the inevitability of death."

HAROLD CRICK (main lead)
(pause) What?

PROF. HILBERT
Tragedy you die. Comedy you get hitched.

HAROLD
(facetiously) Oh. Great.

PROF. HILBERT
What's wrong?

HAROLD
I haven't been on a date in three years.

PROF. HILBERT
Well... most comic heroes fall in love with people who are introduced after the story has begun, usually people who hate the hero initially, although I can't imagine anyone hating you.

HAROLD
Professor Hilbert. I'm an auditor. Nobody likes me.

PROF. HILBERT
Not dislikes you. Hates you. Detests you. Loathes the very core of you. Anybody like that?

Harold thinks.

HAROLD
There's somebody who I just met who I know really really doesn't like me.

PROF. HILBERT
Well, that sounds like a comedy... try to develop that plot.

HAROLD
How?

PROF. HILBERT
There's no real approach. Except... well, if push comes to shove... ask her to talk about the past.

With that, we have 3 points on comedy given by Prof. Hilbert:
1) The protagonist's pair is introduced after the story begins;
2) Hates the hero initially;
3) The hero is not a hateful person.

In the case of “Stranger Than Fiction”:
1) Ana Pascal is introduced after the story begins;
2) She hates him because Harold is a tax auditor and she is in debt to the government and she is very much against paying taxes;
3) Harold is not hateful, neither for the audience nor for the characters in the story (Ana hates him at the beginning, but soon after she starts to treat him better, that is, Harold couldn't be hated).

Spoiler

Ps.: heroes don't need to be innocuous, they need to have a minimum charm in which the audience is attracted, approving and supporting. In our case, as much as Harold Crick had a monotonous life, and that would give everything for the audience to think he was boring, the effect is the opposite.

Now I'm going to make a comparison between "Stranger than Fiction" and "My Mister"

Aristotle suggests that comic figures are mostly "average to below average" in terms of moral character. He also suggests that the most sympathetic comic figures are often "downtrodden and courageous," young men or women from humble or disadvantaged backgrounds who prove their true worth - indeed, their "natural nobility" - through various tests of character over the course of the story.

Making a fusion between Aristotle's ideas and the movie “Stranger Than Fiction”, we will have the following comparisons that result in My Mister:

1) Ji An is actually introduced after the story begins (20min later);
2) She hates/is indifferent to our hero
     2.1) She took the money and let him get into trouble alone
     2.2) She tells him to hate her, and she would hate him with her whole being (but like the female protagonist of "Stranger than Fiction", Ji An couldn't hate Dong Hoon);
3) Ji An was below average in terms of moral character;
4) She is a young woman of humble origins, oppressed, courageous;
5) Dong Hoon is plain (an everyday figure), but has minimal charm;
7) People can't hate Dong Hoon, both the audience and the characters.

Now we can stablish that we are living in a comedy, but I think that My Mister has also romantic comedies tendencies.

According to this description of a romantic comedy, they mention being "young", but this is just what is commonly done, we have exceptions to the rule, some examples are "The Holiday", "Someone Like You" or even "Stranger than Fiction". Now, what we can notice of similarity, is that Dong Hoon and Ji An are indeed made for each other, and the course of the drama keeps them apart by complicated circumstances.

Such as:
1) Because Dong Hoon is married;
2) Age differences;
3) Class differences.

3 problems that at the end, we can see that they were solved.

Now talking about "Notting Hill" and "Bridget Jones's Diary" - both romantic comedies that were mentioned in "My Mister".

Definitely it's deliberate. Park Hae Young did this knowing exactly what she wanted.

Here are some similarities:

Notting Hill x My Mister (Most of this one I want to thank to @YukawaCattle for pointing it out :D)

- William Thatcher begins the movie using irony

(“Of course, I’ve seen her films and always thought she was, well, fabulous. But, you know, a million, million miles from the world I live in. Which is here, Notting Hill. My favorite bit of London.);
- The female lead is presented only afterwards;
- ML is divorced at the beginning (his wife cheated on him);
- Main leads stay a good time apart at the end (before getting back together for real);
- They get married.

Bridget Jones's Diary x My Mister
- Bridget begins the movie using irony

("Have made big decision. This year will take total control of my life and become perfect modern woman. Resolution Number One - in order to mark triumphant year in which everything stops being RickRoll'D and turns out v.g. - will keep a diary.")

- The male lead is presented only afterwards;

- Bridget doesn't like Mark at first;

- Mark Darcy is divorced (his wife cheated on him with Daniel Cleaver)

("...He's just back from America, apparently. Divorced. He's looking for a house in Holland Park. Apparently he had the most terrible time with his wife.");

- They get married in the end (taking into account the 3 movies).

Pride and Prejudice x My Mister (this one, is just for my P&P fan heart lol)

- The narrator begins the movie using irony (ty @YukawaCattle)

("It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.”);

- The male lead is presented only afterwards;

- Lizzie uses irony with Darcy

("I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed upon to marry.")

- Lizzie hates Darcy at the beginning (this reminds me of "Stranger than Fiction");

- They get married in the end.

I start to think that My Mister is not only a comedy, but also, a romantic comedy. Which in the end, they will get married at some point in the future.

What do you guys think?

Edited by KettleOn

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 1:38 AM, YukawaCattle said:

I personally always think that the audience can always use the information mentioned in MM. :rubchin:

So if the writer and director keep mentioning Notting Hill and Bridget Jones's Diary, that means we can refer to these two stories to make sense of the ending of MM. Therefore, if we look at this information, Dong-hoon and Ji-an will eventually get married.

The audience can use this information, I agree with you. But few of them can actually remember the fact that Jung Hee compared Dong Hoon with Mark Darcy and plus: it's even harder for them to remember that they actually have more than one thing in common... more than the fact that "Mark Darcy was a gentleman and DH is one as well". Also, they don't link My Mister being a comedy, because nowadays is more common to refer comedy as a genre to make us laugh, and My Mister is kinda the opposite.

Yes, I really think that they will get married because of that.