[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

A couple of recent articles that mention My Mister:

The 20 Best Korean Dramas Of 2022

December 11, 2022

Joan MacDonald

- skipped unrelated -

My Liberation Notes: This drama, starring Son Suk-ku, Kim Ji-won and Lee Min-ki, is the very understated story of three unhappy siblings, living out in the sticks with their parents. The commute keeps them from enjoying the city they work in and they blame it on their inability to sustain a love life. Things change when a stranger comes to work for the family. The drama offers surprising twists of fate and an intimate look into a family’s dynamic. Why see it? The evocative portrayal of quiet desperation by My Mister writer Park Hae-young. Son’s subtle acting, the worlds of despair he conveys with his eyes. Netflix

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2022/12/11/the-20-best-korean-dramas-of-2022/?sh=81031adea3f0

The Best Korean Dramas on Netflix Right Now

November 25, 2022

Devon Forward

- skipped unrelated -

My Mister (2018)

my-mister.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=1500&dpr=1.5

Director: Kim Won-suk, Kim Sang-woo

Cast: Lee Sun-kyun, Lee Ji-eun (IU), Park Ho-san, Song Sae-byeok

A truly unique Korean drama, My Mister tells the story of a cold woman who has suffered many hardships in her life, who finds sympathy and comfort in the company of three brothers who are healing from their own trauma. The series is deeply profound and addresses a number of serious topics. The cast is led by Lee Ji-eun, also known by her stage name IU, who plays Lee Ji-an, a woman who will do anything to support her ailing grandmother. She encounters the middle brother, Park Dong-hoon (Lee Sun-kyun), when she is hired as a temp worker at his company. A coworker instructs her to find out Dong-hoon’s secrets, but soon enough she’s falling for the man, who seems to understand more about her than anyone she’s ever met.

Although it’s definitely a slow-moving story, the astounding acting and remarkably written characters will drag you in and keep you enthralled until the last episode. My Mister is a must-watch, especially if you are a fan of serious dramas.

Source: https://collider.com/best-korean-dramas-on-netflix/

• Awesome 1

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope 2023 brings many more new fans to My Mister.

My Mister continues to show up on "best of" lists, this time on a list of the 5 best dramas from 2018:

IU’s ‘My Mister’, Lee Sung Kyung’s ‘About Time’ and more: 5 best 2018 K-Dramas to binge watch

2018 has some of the best K-Dramas in genres like suspense thriller, romance, fantasy, comedy, action and more. Read ahead to know more.

Written by Anoushka Mathew   |  Published on Nov 10, 2022

368946930_kdrama_1280*720.jpg

1. My Mister

My Mister tells the story of an impoverished and debt-laden young woman (IU) struggling to stay afloat as she nurses her deaf, sick grandmother and working a temporary job. She develops an unlikely bond with one of her equally miserable supervisors (Lee Sun Kyun), who is subjected to scrutiny and manipulation by their colleagues, friends, and dysfunctional families. Enduring the weight of their respective lives, they come together, forming new relationships, keeping parts of themselves secret — but ultimately healing one another's past scars. IU played the role of Lee Ji An who was born on 4 November 1998. Ji An is a 21-year-old woman who is enduring many hardships in life, including the need to discharge her mother's huge debts and taking care of her deaf grandmother. She was also convicted of murdering a loan shark (also Lee Kwang Il's father) during her middle school years. She is tasked by her boss who runs a company she is temporarily working for to discover Park Dong Hoon's weaknesses, but she soon ends up falling for his warm charms and learns to trust someone for the first time.

- skipped unrelated -

Source: https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/ius-my-mister-lee-sung-kyungs-about-time-and-more-5-best-2018-k-dramas-to-binge-watch-1198354

In other news tidbits, some of us are eagerly awaiting LSK's new project, Payback :):

It premeires this Friday, January 6. If you watch the show and want to chat about it please join us on the Payback thread!

And usually I don't get into celebrity gossip much, but did you all see that Lee Jong-suk and IU are dating? Best wishes to the happy couple. :wub:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1561082wpp/iu-and-lee-jong-suk-write-heartfelt-letters-to-fans-following-news-of-their-relationship

• Like 3

16 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

1. My Mister

My Mister tells the story of an impoverished and debt-laden young woman (IU) struggling to stay afloat as she nurses her deaf, sick grandmother and working a temporary job. She develops an unlikely bond with one of her equally miserable supervisors (Lee Sun Kyun), who is subjected to scrutiny and manipulation by their colleagues, friends, and dysfunctional families. Enduring the weight of their respective lives, they come together, forming new relationships, keeping parts of themselves secret — but ultimately healing one another's past scars. IU played the role of Lee Ji An who was born on 4 November 1998. Ji An is a 21-year-old woman who is enduring many hardships in life, including the need to discharge her mother's huge debts and taking care of her deaf grandmother. She was also convicted of murdering a loan shark (also Lee Kwang Il's father) during her middle school years. She is tasked by her boss who runs a company she is temporarily working for to discover Park Dong Hoon's weaknesses, but she soon ends up falling for his warm charms and learns to trust someone for the first time.

I noticed the write-up for My Mister was taken from Wikipedia (the first half) while the second half came from the TVN commercial which was also floated around in the discussions here. The Wikipedia write-up was particularly memorable as, if you'd recall in the discussions posted here in the early part of last year, I edited a phrase in that Wikipedia write up. What was originally “She develops a platonic relationship with one of her equally miserable supervisors..” was changed to “She develops an unlikely bond with one of her equally miserable supervisors..” :lol:

I believe “an unlikely bond” is more open while “a platonic relationship” already speaks of judgment and interpretation, and an inaccurate one at that. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

What was originally “She develops a platonic relationship with one of her equally miserable supervisors..” was changed to “She develops an unlikely bond with one of her equally miserable supervisors..” :lol:

That’s right! Good work! 

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

So glad that edit stuck; “an unlikely bond” is a much more compelling and intriguing phrase.

I didn’t realize the article was all copied and pasted from other official sources. I had thought the author had had some nice insights into the show, like, “keeping parts of themselves secret — but ultimately healing one another's past scars“ :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun video from the cast of Payback interviewing each other.

I can't understand the Korean, but they mention My Mister here (timestamped). Apparently there was a "controversy" surrounding how much beer LSK poured for IU during filming? Or how much foam there was in the beer?

If anyone knows Korean and can translate that would be great. :)

• Like 2

Soompi Forum Awards: Poll #3 - The Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022.

kdr7sTk.gif

Dear Chingus, Vote for the Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022!

re: Your  friendly, neighbourhood EO Team: 

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl

2 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Fun video from the cast of Payback interviewing each other.

I can't understand the Korean, but they mention My Mister here (timestamped). Apparently there was a "controversy" surrounding how much beer LSK poured for IU during filming? Or how much foam there was in the beer?

If anyone knows Korean and can translate that would be great. :)

Hey beautiful people :D Long time no see! I hope everyone has had a great holiday season, and I do hope that we can share many things about My Mister in the year of 2023!

I don't speak korean also, but I think that he is talking about the amout of foam. Here where I live, for exemple, we tend to ask for a lot of foam when the waiter is pouring us a glass. I think they were making fun of Kyun because he poured a lot of foam in her glass lmao but I think he says that that's the right way?! :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, dongans said:

I don't speak korean also, but I think that he is talking about the amout of foam. Here where I live, for exemple, we tend to ask for a lot of foam when the waiter is pouring us a glass. I think they were making fun of Kyun because he poured a lot of foam in her glass lmao but I think he says that that's the right way?! :D

I think you're right! :lol: This Twitter account just put English subs to some of LSK's answers, and Cut 3 (below) is this very part:

• Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

Recently I've been on a Twitter high since the hashtag #Payback has been so active. :lol:

I discovered that Park Ho San (Sang Hoon in MM) and Oh Na Ra (Jung Hee) were in an episode of Behind Every Star together! They play funny versions of themselves - two actors of the same talent agency who are cast in the same film. They have to play romantic interests in the film but in reality they're hostile and insulting to each other. 

Seo Hyun Woo (Section Chief Song in MM) is one of the leads in Behind Every Star. He plays the talent agent representing Oh Na Ra:

spacer.png

Park Ho San's shining turn in MM is featured prominently in the talent agency:

spacer.png

The worst thing for Park Ho San and Oh Na Ra is getting ready for their kissing scene:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

The rest of their story is very entertaining and funny, and I'd highly recommend it to MM fans. Episode 5 can stand alone; you don't need to know too much of the other storylines to enjoy it. (I had watched the first two episodes and hadn't continued on, but I never realized that Park Ho San and Oh Na Ra would be in Ep 5. One thing that will help make more sense of Ep 5 is that the young office girl is the talent agency CEO's illegitimate daughter, as revealed in Ep 1.)

Behind Every Star is now on Netflix, but if you can't find it let me know.

• Like 1

Here’s a behind-the-scene clip of that beer-drinking scene. Apparently IU had the option to choose fake beer but she decided to go for real beer. :sweatingbullets:

That channel carried a BTS playlist as well with subtitles:

I particularly liked the last two clips, one showing IU practicing her sign language scene, and the other showing one of her scenes with Joon Young. :lol:

EDIT: In the first clip of the playlist, the script-reading session, it was still Oh Dal Su reading the lines of Sang Hoon, as Park Ho San was a late replacement. I recalled reading they had to re-shoot many scenes up to episodes 2 or 3 after the replacement was made.

• Blob 1

I have seen several mentions of a Chinese remake in recent days. Most of them complained about the possible casting of a 53 year old man to play the ajusshi, saying if it went through, the show should be renamed My Grandpa. Haha... This kind of mirrors the uproar over news of IU casting, except in reverse. In any event, I can't imagine them ever finding someone who can top LSK. :wub:

https://youtext.ai/kzpzp7u06xk

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

On 1/15/2023 at 2:09 PM, actionscript said:

That channel carried a BTS playlist as well with subtitles:

I liked the light-hearted intro to the 3rd clip, showing the three brothers and some of their funnier expressions and scenes. That's always been a fascinating piece of MM - it has lighter marketing juxtaposed with more serious marketing, and it of course has some very funny scenes contrasted with very grim, weighty scenes in the show itself.

On 1/15/2023 at 2:09 PM, actionscript said:

EDIT: In the first clip of the playlist, the script-reading session, it was still Oh Dal Su reading the lines of Sang Hoon, as Park Ho San was a late replacement. I recalled reading they had to re-shoot many scenes up to episodes 2 or 3 after the replacement was made.

Such a huge undertaking! I wonder how long it took to re-shoot and if the change delayed their release schedule at all.

It's also hard to imagine anyone other than Park Ho San in the role of Sang Hoon. He did it so well.

On 1/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, sadiesmith said:

I have seen several mentions of a Chinese remake in recent days. Most of them complained about the possible casting of a 53 year old man to play the ajusshi, saying if it went through, the show should be renamed My Grandpa. Haha... This kind of mirrors the uproar over news of IU casting, except in reverse. In any event, I can't imagine them ever finding someone who can top LSK. :wub:

The age difference betwen this male actor and Shen Yue, the purported female lead, is 28 years. That sounds like an ENORMOUS gap :lol:. My Grandpa. :lol:

I think one thing that made MM work so well was that LSK was actually the age that Park Dong Hoon was supposed to be (except LSK was one year younger than PDH). LSK could realistically portray a man who met his wife in college and married her soon after, who was married for 15 years, who was a middle manager in a corporation, whom JA could find attractive, who had a 12-year-old son, etc. This Chinese actor would be about 10 years older than LSK was, and for some reason that feels off to me, unless they age him down or change the story enough that he's in a slightly different life stage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Such a huge undertaking! I wonder how long it took to re-shoot and if the change delayed their release schedule at all.

That's the amazing thing, it did not delay the release schedule at all. If memory serves, all of that happened in the span of a month. Park Ho San said, to save time the director would ask him to watch the footage taken with Oh Dal-su and go from there. It must feel weird for the other cast members to reshoot the scenes with a new actor. It's a testament to everyone's professionalism and great talent that they could pull it off. One reviewer on Mydramalist wonders how the three actors could make it look as if they had really grown up with each other for 40 years.

• Awesome 2

12 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

One reviewer on Mydramalist wonders how the three actors could make it look as if they had really grown up with each other for 40 years.

It's true, the three men were so natural playing brothers who had grown up together. Their scenes were believable. It helped that their personalities were so well-written.

8-2.jpg

ctto

Maybe that's why seeing Oh Dal Su in the footage is jarring - I'm so used to seeing Park Ho San and experiencing the way he embodied Sang Hoon. :wub:

• Like 1

Lee Sun-kyun singing "A Far Away Place" at the KBS Lunar New Year 2023 concert, broadcast today:

An introduction to the song: https://twitter.com/sunkyunarchive/status/1616835887186284545/video/1

Nice to see that Oh Na Ra was there, too:

FnAEbgFWQAkWAh1?format=jpg&name=360x360

FnAEbgIWAAAJ8tD?format=jpg&name=360x360

Source: https://twitter.com/sunkyunarchive/status/1616797141829132288

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I have a curiosity. Does anyone know the chinese characters for Jian? I want to know how can I write "to reach comfort" :sweatingbullets:

Thanks anywaysss

On 1/11/2023 at 7:51 PM, the_sweetroad said:

I think you're right! :lol: This Twitter account just put English subs to some of LSK's answers, and Cut 3 (below) is this very part:

Oh yay! nice to know xD And very cute interview, even tho I didn't understand much, I couldn't stop smiling :D

• Blob 1