[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

@YukawaCattleIn the second half of the show he certainly tears up a bunch! His emotions are finally slipping out. :)

On 9/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, AR_ S34 said:

Contrast this to My Mister which outside of the tone of the show just seemed to set the intrigue and drama up better from the first episode;

Why is the lead guy so down and depressed?

Why is this girl desperate and stealing stuff from work?

What's going to happen with the stolen envelope?

Will the lead find out his wife is cheating on him?

Yes, it turned out to be so much more suspenseful and "heavy" than expected, and many of us just had to watch Ep 2 to see what would happen with the bribe. The more I watch other shows, the more My Mister stands out - it's tight from beginning to end, even if the first few episodes are so hard to watch because of Ji An's situation and what she's doing to DH. I always tell people to at least watch through Ep 4, and then once they do that I encourage them to watch Ep 5 as that's when Dong Hoon and halmeoni make a connection. Then Ep 6 surprises us all with a heretofore unseen part of Dong Hoon's life, morning soccer. The plotting and pacing are all so well-done.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, AR_ S34 said:

While I'm not expecting all shows to be the same I do hope that If I start Hotel del Luna it can kind of lay out it's long term direction for where the show is heading within the first episode or two. As much as I like Lee Ji-eun I can't stick with the show if it just kind of drifts from one episode to the next without any real structure.

Did you get to start HDL? I've only watched it once, but it does have an overall story/ structure, and especially interesting is Man Wol (Lee Ji-eun)'s backstory, since she's 1000+ years old. As it was the first Hong sisters drama I had watched, I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd heard a lot about them. Have to say the show was much more enjoyable and funny than I'd expected.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:31 AM, dongans said:

Everything starts to unfold because he was demoted, and he wasn't happy at his current job. He was earning less than before,

Oh! I never caught that he had actually been demoted and was earning less than before. Do you remember where they said that? I know he was the "ace" of the design team (which seemed like a subjective, not official, designation) and he was moved to the safety team. I had thought that was a lateral move, which still "hurt" PDH since it meant he wasn't doing what he loved (and Dir Yoon was now his direct supervisor)..but was it actually a demotion where he ended up earning less?

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 9:30 PM, the_sweetroad said:

Did you get to start HDL? I've only watched it once, but it does have an overall story/ structure, and especially interesting is Man Wol (Lee Ji-eun)'s backstory, since she's 1000+ years old. As it was the first Hong sisters drama I had watched, I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd heard a lot about them. Have to say the show was much more enjoyable and funny than I'd expected.

No not yet but I do intend to start it sometime soon but at the moment I gave Vagabond a try, It's got a lot of action in it and I quite like it being part set in Morocco, makes a nice change.

New Event :issohappy:

All Things Fall! Bonus: Vote for the most anticipated upcoming dramas   :coolshades:

Chingus! We are back with a new event! It's about all things autumn. Moreover, we got lots of polls for you! Do check it out and let us know your thoughts about your about autumn. :yay:

News Flash • East Amwell Township, NJ • CivicEngage

Re: Your friendly neighbourhood EO Team

@confusedheart @partyon @Sleepy Owl and @agenth

This is a fun article. It's long, so below are just the My Mister-relevant sections, but the whole article is worth reading.

Source: https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/08/09/entertainment/television/kdrama-kdrama-script-korean-tv-show/20220809163753609.html

'Script books' see major surge in sales with popularity of K-dramas

spacer.png

Script books for "My Mister" (2018) [SEGYESA]

Korean bookstores have a new section to add to their aisles — K-drama scripts.

“Script books” of Korean TV series and films are seeing a surge in sales. According to online book retailer Yes24, 58 K-drama scripts have been published as books between January and July this year; a noticeable increase from 14 during the same period in 2020 and 48 in 2021. Sales are also on the rise, seeing a 93.2 percent growth in 2020, 54.5 percent in 2021 and 121 percent in 2022 compared to the previous years.

Following this trend, many script books of K-dramas and films from years ago were published this year, and are ranking high on the list of best-sellers. Screenwriter Park Hae-young of JTBC’s hit series “My Liberation Notes” (2022) had her previous work “My Mister,” which aired on tvN in 2018, published as a script book in March. Although it has been four years since the series ended, it is currently the fourth best-selling script book on Yes24.

A scene from "My Mister" (2018) starring Lee Sun-kyun and Lee Ji-eun (also known as IU). [TVN]

A scene from "My Mister" (2018) starring Lee Sun-kyun and Lee Ji-eun (also known as IU). [TVN]

“It’s been quite sometime after the show, but many people remember ‘My Mister’ as the best K-drama of their lives and say it holds a lot of meaning,” said editor Kang Hyun-ji of Segyesa, which published the series’ script books. “We thought a story this good will be read by many, no matter how much time has passed.”

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 8:31 AM, dongans said:

lol I forgot who Han Seok Yool was, but before checking, I was like "oh man I think it was that skirt-addicted-guy", and it was and I agree! But take your time, you can send me whenever fits you best.

二向箔's comment on Douban (18/05/2018):

"Director Kim Won-seok is very good at using 'narration + a funny fellow' in his work.

After all, the relationship between characters in a drama is complicated, so to push the plot forward, there is a great need for such characters to adjust and analyze the plot to liven up the atmosphere and help the audience better understand the story. Without such characters, the whole drama would appear loose and depressing and even make people abandon the drama in the middle.

For example, in director Kim's other high-scoring youthful workplace Korean drama Misaeng, the supporting character Han Seok-ryul, a new trading company employee, is comparable to the role of Ki-hoon in My Mister. And he is known as a 'pervert,' who is a cute character with a funny personality such as gossip, narcissism, energy, righteousness, lust... in his nature. He kept roaming around different floors in the company, constantly sharing various 'gossipy information' about the company, which serves to push the plot and connect many characters. (The act of 'gossip' is similar to Ji-an's 'eavesdropping,' which can quickly push the characters' relationship and the plot.)"

-

One interesting thing is that 二向箔 also mentioned the idea

"Park Ki-hoon is the one who holds the key of the ending and direction of the drama~!"

which is similar to the sentence

"To me, when Ki Hoon says, “I have the key,” it means we’re supposed to pay attention to him."

written by @the_sweetroad in her article 

RANDOM INTERESTING MOMENTS

• Blob 3

[Mirror] Park Dong-hoon Did Not Reject Lee Ji-an’s “Subway Confession"

collage-4.jpg?w=664 

Ji-an: Why were you nice to me? / Dong-hoon: ……!

Dong-hoon was probably afraid of being in the same situation where he had to admit his feelings to Ji-an again, so his eyes widened in fear when he heard Ji-an’s question. Fortunately, Ji-an didn’t say anything directly. She used another expression with the same meaning to communicate with Dong-hoon.

————————————

Preface

In this “Mirror" series, I will analyze MM’s script and clearly point out the high sync between DongAn and KiYu in the entire play for you guys. The point of this is that we can learn about Park Dong-hoon’s real mind through KiYu’s script.

And the sequence of this series is always as follows:

Details → Comprehensive Inventory → Conclusion.

• The “Details" section will be listed first for DongAn’s script and then for KiYu’s.
  • The “Comprehensive Inventory" section will clearly tell you how KiYu’s and DongAn’s scripts are corresponded to.
  • The “Conclusion" section will conclude Park Dong-hoon’s real mind, which is given based on the high synchronization.

Note 1: The pictures and lines here are from Netflix.

Note 2: The same number corresponds to the same story element.

You guys also could read this article on my blog. Thanks.

Spoiler

Details

(EP12, DongAn)

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-07-08-u4e0b

(Ji-an and Dong-hoon ran into subway. They were Breathing heavily.) 1

Dong-hoon: You’re pretty good at running. (Sat down)

(Silence……)

Dong-hoon: What made you work overtime? 2

Ji-an: You told me to listen. 3

Dong-hoon: (Smiled) 4

Ji-an: I missed you, so I waited. 5

Dong-hoon: ……! 6(Looked at Ji-an) 7

Ji-an: (Looked at Dong-hoon)

Dong-hoon: (Looked at Ji-an) 7

Ji-an: Why are you looking at me like that? “Why is she doing this again? I thought I made myself clear." Is that it?

Dong-hoon: ……

Ji-an: You didn’t make yourself clear. You made me like you even more.

Ji-an: That’s not how you dump someone. You made me like you more by saying all kinds of nice things.

Ji-an: Don’t worry though. I won’t make it obvious.

Ji-an: I know what people say about me.

Dong-hoon: ……(Sighed)

Ji-an: Did I make things awkward?

Dong-hoon: Do you know… why you like me?

Ji-an: ……?

Dong-hoon: Because I’m pitiful.

Ji-an: ……!

Dong-hoon: Because you’re pitiful, you’re crying with me who is pitiful like you.

Ji-an: Why were you nice to me?

Dong-hoon: ……!

Ji-an: Wasn’t it for the same reason? We are…… both pitiful of ourselves.

——————

(EP15, KiYu)

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-07-08-u4e0b

(Yu-ra ran into Jung-hee’s bar.) 1

Yu-ra: (Breathing heavily) Hello.

Ahjussis’ voice: “Hey, you’re here.", “Come join us.", “Sit down.", “Have a seat."

Yu-ra: (Breathing heavily) I ran all the way from the intersection.

Sang-hoon: (Excitement) Why? Why did you run? 2

Ahjussi: (Excitement) So she could see us! 3

Ahjussis’ voice: “Exactly!", “That’s right."

(Ahjussis laughed heartily) 4

Yu-ra: (Talked to Ki-hoon) Because I missed you. 5

(Ahjussis paused, the next second the face sank, the atmosphere was bleak) 6

Ahjussis: (Ignored Yu-ra and drank) 6

Ki-hoon: ……Stop ruining the mood. 7

————————————

The context of both plots is as follows:

The woman ran into a certain place

Someone asked the woman a question 

Someone answered the question first

The person asking the question laughed

The woman then said “I missed you" to the man she liked

The atmosphere “cooled down"

The man made some response to woman’s words

Let’s take a look. :partyblob:

————————————

Comprehensive Inventory

————————————

80AWcZc1IhECJhnAf0GPns_rNGYFjMdBl8nd11Qh

Htf0Fn3OYp_dYB6ygt51yIlIOpWHo0AiClJMgYCJ

ilPFTqTbwwTc2z7tl-BjTb5yQNrDT3iZ9e_ze-Rh

FWhUR0bV26f3yez0UrmXX4Pv1rrQq0sRh7FYCJ9e

151i21lF10uKjy7DILKfNToCzJY-aprlIwQJLXTz

5vgYnyNtJcO8rLW-NozKlqR2F45sbXgsVRLdbLum

————————————

Conclusion

Ki-hoon only said “Stop ruining the mood" after hearing Yu-ra’s “I missed you."

That is, Ki-hoon didn’t reject Yu-ra’s love confession.

He just thought it was not the right time to say this sentence.

→ When Dong-hoon and Ji-an were on the subway, Dong-hoon didn’t reject Ji-an’s “I missed you" either. Maybe he just thought it was not the right time for her to say so because he still did not know how to deal with his marriage.

————————————

Cattle’s murmur :rubchin:

If Dong-hoon didn’t reject Ji-an’s confession, what did he mean by his subsequent lines?

And also, what was Ji-an thinking about Dong-hoon’s words?

Did she think that she was rejected by Dong-hoon again?

(EP12, Subsequent Part of DongAn)

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-08-23-u4e0b

Ji-an: Why are you looking at me like that? “Why is she doing this again? I thought I made myself clear." Is that it?

Ji-an: You didn’t make yourself clear. You made me like you even more.

Ji-an: That’s not how you dump someone. You made me like you more by saying all kinds of nice things.

Ji-an: Don’t worry though. I won’t make it obvious.

Ji-an: I know what people say about me.

Dong-hoon: ……(Sighed)

Ji-an: Did I make things awkward?

Dong-hoon: Do you know… why you like me?

Ji-an: ……?

Dong-hoon: Because I’m pitiful.

Dong-hoon: Because you’re pitiful, you’re crying with me who is pitiful like you.

Ji-an: Why were you nice to me?

Dong-hoon: ……!

Ji-an: Wasn’t it for the same reason? We are…… both pitiful of ourselves.

————————————

[My interpretation of Park Dong-hoon’s psychology]

In the ending of EP11, we saw Park Dong-hoon was in a low sense of self-worth.

(EP11)

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-09-17-u4e0b

“The moment you cheated on me with him, you pretty much sentenced me to death. It’s the same thing as telling me that I deserve to be cheated on. It means I’m worthless and that I deserve to die."

So when Dong-hoon said to Ji-an on the subway, “You like me because I’m pitiful," he wasn’t telling Lee Ji-an to recognize her feelings for him and let go of him. He wasn’t.

Park Dong-hoon said this because of a lack of confidence that “You only like me because I am pitiful, not because I am nice."

Dong-hoon only realized at the end of the episode that he also was really nice in Ji-an’s heart, and that’s why she liked him very much. He smiled with felt comforted when he heard Ji-an praise him.

(EP12)

lc_ep12_1.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_2.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_4.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_5.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_7.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_11.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_12.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_end_5.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_end_8.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_end_12.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_end_13.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_end_16.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_end_17.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_end_18.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_end_20.jpg?w=664&h=415

The whole EP12 seems to be Park Dong-hoon’s journey from his low sense of self-worth to Lee Ji-an’s bravery which helps him to bring back his sense of self-worth.

Anyway. In the subway, Park Dong-hoon said those words mainly to reveal his lack of confidence in himself, not to reject Lee Ji-an’s love for him.

————————————

[My interpretation of Lee Ji-an’s psychology]

After reading Park Dong-hoon’s words, I thought about it for a long time but still could not understand his “You love me out of pity."

When I explain why I love someone, I probably will say that “I like him because his personality is nice," “I love his appearance," or “I love the feeling when I communicate with him." Sometimes, maybe “I love his social status" (???).

But I won’t say “I fall in love with him out of pity" because in my mind, the possibility that love happens only out of the above situations.

That is to say, because I never had the experience of “Love can happen out of pity," it is impossible for me to give others such a point of view.

So I guess people can understand “Why someone loves someone in this way" is always based on their own experience.

That is, what experience you have, you will give such an explanation.

This idea makes me wonder, “Why did Park Dong-hoon could understand Lee Ji-an falling in love with him started by pitying him?"

Because Park Dong-hoon’s words were not skin deep, he was very sure about Ji-an’s situation and explained it very clearly.

So I guess why Park Dong-hoon could say the words like “Your love for me happens out of pity" because he had a similar experience just like Ji-an.

That is to say, he also had the experience that he fell in love with someone started by pitying her, so he could understand Ji-an.

But who made him have such an experience?

Was Kang Yoon-hee?

Obviously not Kang Yoon-hee.

In the whole drama, the only description that Park Dong-hoon gave Kang Yoon-hee was “Excellent." So I guess Kang Yoon-hee won’t have any point that will make Park Dong-hoon pity her.

(EP8)

lc_miss_4.jpg?w=664&h=415

“Your mom is excellent."

In this way, the only possibility is Lee Ji-an. After all, in the whole drama, Park Dong-hoon always liked to say that “Ji-an is a pitiful girl."

(EP4)

lc_miss_3.jpg?w=664&h=415

(EP9)

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-07-28-u4e0b

(EP16)

lc_miss_11.jpg?w=664&h=415

“I know the most pitiful kid in the world, but she says I’m the most pitiful person ever."

So out of pity, Park Dong-hoon fell in love with Lee Ji-an, too.

Because he also experienced such a process, that’s why he could describe why Ji-an fell in love with him very clearly.

And Ji-an probably also got the above idea, so when Dong-hoon explained “You love me out of pity," we can see Ji-an’s “brainwave."

anigif.gif

The shadow of a fast-passing train outside the window symbolizes Ji-an’s instant understanding of Dong-hoon’s psychology. In this scene, she could get that Dong-hoon also fell in love with her out of pity.

However, although Ji-an understood the matter, she did not point out this thing directly.

She only asked Dong-hoon

“Why were you nice to me? Wasn’t it for the same reason?"

On the surface of this paragraph, it seems Ji-an only said Dong-hoon was kind to her out of pity, not because he loved her, although, in Park Hae-young’s value, pity is a kind of love.

But, if her meaning only was this, why did Dong-hoon’s eyes open so wide when Ji-an asked “Why were you nice to me"?

It seemed like he was afraid of something.

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-09-18-u4e0a

I guess it is because when Ji-an used the sentence “Why were you nice to me?" to Dong-hoon, she usually was not asking him the surface meaning.

This sentence for her actually means

“I guess you like me, too. That’s why you were nice to me."

Lee Ji-an’s Logic

(EP11)

lc_miss_13.jpg?w=664&h=415

“You helped me a few times out of pity, but I kept hitting on you thinking you liked me."

→ Your kindness to me makes me wonder if you like me.

(EP16)

lc_miss_17.jpg?w=664&h=415

Why are you so nice to me? After you’ve been really nice to me, will you stop and say ‘ I’ll stop now’ ?

→ If you don’t want to be my boyfriend afterward, why are you being so nice to me now?

So Ji-an’s meaning here actually was

“Why were you nice to me? Wasn’t you also fell in love with me out of pity?"

She used “Wasn’t it for the same reason?" such kind of non-complete sentence just for euphemism.

She didn’t want to force Dong-hoon to face a situation like EP10 “Hit my head" again, so she used a euphemistic sentence with the same meaning to communicate with Park Dong-hoon.

So what made Dong-hoon opened his eyes so widely at this moment?

Ji-an’s idea.

Because Dong-hoon could understand that Ji-an had already known that he also fell in love with her out of pity.

He was afraid that Lee Ji-an would tell the truth, so he looked at her wide-eyed.

Although Dong-hoon didn’t want to admit his feelings to Ji-an, his soul mate Lee Ji-an still could see through him.

Cattle’s Translation :partyblob:

lc_ep12_1-1.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_4-1.jpg?w=664&h=415

“You also fell in love with me out of pity."

lc_ep12_5-1.jpg?w=664&h=415

lc_ep12_8.jpg?w=664&h=415

“We all fell in love with each other out of pity."

Then because Dong-hoon could understand the implication in Ji-an’s words, he bowed his head in silence and acquiesced.

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-09-17-u4e0b

————————————

Notes

“Love can happen out of pity" has always been one of the values of love in Park Hae-young’s works.

(Another Oh Hae-young, EP7)

Do-kyung: (Answered the phone) What is it? Hello?

Hae-young: Don’t meet with Oh Hae-young.

Do-kyung: (Sighed)

Hae-young: Don’t get back together.

Do-kyung: …… It’s none of your business.

Hae-young: I don’t like it. I don’t want you to date someone I despise so much. I might end up cursing you too. It’s already upsetting that you two used to date. So don’t meet with her.

Do-kyung: Does everyone around you has to hate those you hate? How childish is that?

Hae-young: I’ll share your hatred with you, I’ll despise them with you.

Do-kyung: Why? I’m not asking you to.

Hae-young: Because I like you.

Do-kyung: ……

Hae-young: That’s what you do when you like someone.

Do-kyung: I told you, don’t come on to others mindlessly.

Hae-young: It’s not just anynoe. And I’d made up my mind.

Do-kyung: Next time, get someone who might like dating you. Do you think I’m so sick I can only date Oh Hae-youngs?

Hae-young: What if I wasn’t one? What if I changed my name?

Do-kyung: Ask any guy around you. No guy would ever date a girl who hated his ex-fiancée. She’d constantly be on our minds. Who would want to go through that?

Hae-young: Then why were you good to me? You were nice to me!

Do-kyungBecause I felt bad for you. You got dumped the day before your wedding, but you tell everyone you walked away first and act like you’re fine. It was hard to see you like that, that’s why. Is that bad?

Hae-young: It’s good enough. If my name wasn’t the reason… If you were nice to me not because you thought of Oh Hae-young, that’s good enough for me. If you felt bad for me…… If you did it out of pity, that’s fine. It still means you have feelings for me.

Do-kyung: You really don’t get it, do you? You’re wrong. I don’t like you!

Hae-young: You fool. You don’t even know how you feel. One day, you’ll cry because of me. I hope you do.

——————

(My Liberation Notes, EP16)

Tae-hun: I regretted it.

Gi-jeong: ……?

Tae-hun: That I said I wanted to escape from feeling weak at the Liberation Club. I feel like I meddled with something unacceptable that I was supposed to pretend not to know about. And because you, Gi-jeong, were drawn to me after hearing those words and felt sorry for me, I realized you wouldn’t be able to leave me even if you wanted to.

Gi-jeongYou’re right, I can’t leave you. No, I won’t leave you. What’s wrong with being drawn to someone out of pity?

Tae-hun: ……!

Gi-jeongWith human emotions, you can’t always distinguish between pity, respect, and love clearly. I can’t. I’ve got them all balled up in a lump.

Tae-hun: ……

Gi-jeong: I respect you, Tae-hun. And I pity you and I love you. I feel all of it.

——————

“Pity is a kind of love."

Such a value system exists in Park Hae-young’s Another Oh Hae-young (2016) and her My Liberation Notes (2022).

So it makes sense that such a value system exists in My Mister (2018).

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

I would like to make some more murmur to the dialogue of "pity" between DongAn. :rubchin:

Please forgive my motormouth. :sweatingbullets:

-

When I first saw that conversation, I had an indescribable feeling of weirdness, and now I know why: 

Dong-hoon and Ji-an seem to be arguing about the same thing,

but their dialogues are not along the same lines.

On the surface, 

Dong-hoon said to Ji-an "You like me out of pity me,"

and Ji-an said to Dong-hoon "You nice to me out of pity me."

But these two topics are not along the same lines.

I don’t understand the common theme they were arguing about.

It looks weird. :rubchin:

Because based on their atmosphere, it seems they were debating on the same thing, but they talked past each other in the end.

Especially I don't know what Lee Ji-an was talking about.

It seems like she didn't along the same lines to reply to Park Dong-hoon.

Usually, when people debate on something should because they are discussing the same topic.

That is, their words are along the same lines.

So I think the more reasonable point of view is that the dialogues between Park Dong-hoon and Lee Ji-an are still along the same lines.

That is to say, they are still in the "fall in love out of pity" topic mentioned by Park Dong-hoon, and Lee Ji-an just used an ambiguous sentence to reply to Park Dong-hoon.

-

My understanding of Lee Ji-an's dialogues is as follows

“We both fell in love with each other out of pity."

And the reasons are as follows.

(1) “You also fell in love with me out of pity."

Ji-an's original words: “Why were you nice to me? Wasn’t it for the same reason?"

Ji-an's "Wasn’t it for the same reason?" is actually an elliptical sentence.

She didn't express her words completely because she didn't want to force Dong-hoon to face his feelings for her.

That's why she used an ambiguous sentence.

But the sentence in the previous "Why were you nice to me?" already points out that Ji-an is asking

"Do you like me, too?"

As I remember, after EP10's "Hit my head" scene, Ji-an seems never to use "Do you like me?" to ask Dong-hoon.

Instead, she always used "Why were you nice to me?" to ask Dong-hoon the same thing. 

So "Why were you nice to me?" actually is Ji-an's "Do you like me, too?"

So the meaning of

“Why were you nice to me? Wasn’t it for the same reason?"

actually is

“Why were you nice to me? Wasn’t you also fell in love with me out of pity?"

→ “You also fell in love with me out of pity."

(2) “We both fell in love with each other out of pity."

Ji-an's original words: "We are both pitiful of ourselves."

Before Ji-an talks, Dong-hoon's dialogue is as follows

"Do you know why you like me? Because I'm pitiful.

Because you're pitiful, you're crying with me who is pitiful like you."

The sentence

"Because you're pitiful, you're crying with me who is pitiful like you"

actually could also apply to Park Dong-hoon himself.

Because Dong-hoon also thinks himself is pitiful, that's why he also thinks Ji-an is pitiful and wants to "cry with her who is pitiful like me."

Ji-an could understand this. That's why she said

"We are both pitiful of ourselves."

which means

"We are both pitiful of ourselves. That's why we want to cry with each other who is pitiful like us."

Then if we combine it with the sentence in the previous

Then the meaning of "We are both pitiful of ourselves" will be as follows.

"We are both pitiful of ourselves. That's why we want to cry with someone who is pitiful like us.

In the end, we both fell in love with each other based on this."

→ “We both fell in love with each other out of pity."

-

Let's read about Ji-an's words (translation version) again:

“We both fell in love with each other out of pity."

-

I personally think that we consider Lee Ji-an's words in this way is more reasonable because the dialogues between Dong-hoon and Ji-an should be along the same lines here.

After all, we also could find similar scenes in Park Hae-young's other works—— A man and a woman both on the same topic to debate the issue of "Love arises out of pity."

Men usually stand on the opposite side, while women usually stand on the positive side.

Another Oh Hae-young

→ Park Do-kyung doesn't want to admit that he loves Oh Hae-young, but Oh Hae-young argues with him and asks him to face his feelings for her. Oh Hae-young thinks Park Do-kyung loves her out of pity and she says pity is a kind of love. Then Park Do-kyung says pity is not a kind of love.

→ Their topic: Is pity a kind of love?

My Liberation Notes

→ Jo Tae-hoon knows that Yeom Ki-jeong fell in love with him out of pity, and he thinks it is not good. But Ki-jeong says she also has respect for him and thinks that people's emotions are all mixed up, and it is impossible to distinguish clearly between pity, respect, or love.

→ Their topic: "Love arises out of pity" is good or not?

In these two dramas, we can see that in the topic of "Love arises out of pity," the dialogues between the man and the woman are along the same lines.

So it makes sense to consider that the dialogues between Dong-hoon and Ji-an are also along the same lines when they discuss "Pity."

My understanding of My Mister

collage-4.jpg?w=664

→ Park Dong-hoon and Lee Ji-an argue with each other that the other one fell in love with him/her out of pity.

→ Their topic: "You fall in love with me out of pity."

(Spider-Man Pointing at Spider-Man. gif)

-

Cattle's murmur is over.

Thank you for reading Cattle's murmur. :partyblob:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

The following is Korean shipper Tavola's nice review of Park Ki-hoon's "My brother, come to live with us, too." :partyblob:

Tavola is nice.

Give him a "like." :partyblob: :partyblob: :partyblob:

His original post: https://m.blog.naver.com/tavola/221304671448?referrerCode=1

(Papago + DeepL translate this)

——

[Tavola's article]

Omma: "Are you driving Ji-seok's mom to the airport?"

DH: "Yes."

Omma: "When will she come back?" (Dong-hoon will turn on the TV)

DH: "It's next week."

Omma: "Why is she staying so long?”

DH: "Ji-seok's mom going to find out her school while she's there." (Ki-hoon raises his head and looks at Dong-hoon)

Omma: "What do you mean she's studying again? (Ki-hoon stares at his mother) When she thinks about Ji-seok, it's right for her to go in, but is it good to make a father widower just to let her study?" (Dong-hoon is still looking ahead, but he breathes heavily without showing it.)

KH: "My brother, come to live with us, too."

Omma: "It doesn't even make sense."

In the beginning, Dong-hoon answered by looking at his mother's eyes. Then he didn't look at his mother once when talking about Yoon-hee but only stared at the TV screen. So maybe the only true thing is that Yoon-hee went abroad, but the words about her schedule after that are probably fake. 

After Dong-hoon's answer, Ki-hoon watched his face secretly, and now he is looking at the face of his mother, who talked about Ji-seok's mom, for a long time. Suddenly, Ki-hoon said, "My brother, come to live with us, too," and was accused by his mother.

This sentence sounds like a prank at first, but is it really just a joke?

When Ki-hoon first found out that Yoon-hee was cheating on Dong-hoon, Ki-hoon was furious in front of Dong-hoon. But when he met Yoon-hee at Dong-hoon's promotion party (episode 14), he still treated her with a calm expression. Ki-hoon only showed his resentment towards her by avoiding her eyes after his mother left. Whether he is always standing by Yoon-hee, is most angry about her affair, or this thing, the reasons are the same. He did these things not because Ki-hoon has a good impression of Yoon-hee but because he understands his mother's thoughts and position on Yoon-hee and understands better how Dong-hoon feels about his wife.

Therefore, Ki-hoon worked hard to protect Dong-hoon, who was creating a harmonious family life in front of his mother without a word. So if Ki-hoon's words, "My brother, come to live with us," do not imply that Dong-hoon's relationship with his wife has changed irrevocably, but is simply a joke, then this assumption runs counter to Ki-hoon's usual behavior of never making such jokes in front of his mother.

——

Ki-hoon has the key to MM. :partyblob:

• Like 1

Regarding Ki-hoon, in EP15, I always think that Park Ki-hoon already knows that Ji-an is Dong-hoon brought to Jung-hee's bar because Ki-hoon is the only one who hears both sides' explanations of Dong-hoon and Jung-hee about "Why is Ji-an in Jung-hee's bar?"

And I think Dong-hoon's explanation is counter to Jung-hee's. :rubchin:

Spoiler

-The following is the text of that scene-

When the Park brothers saw that Ji-an was in Jung-hee's bar, they immediately called Dong-hoon, and it was Ki-hoon who won this competition. 

MRNFwJLSmg-OSmKhHxNlSzm-yds5k_I0UNqRtNvZ

Ki-hoon: She's at Jung-hee's.

Dong-hoon: I know.

Ki-hoon: How do you know?

Dong-hoon: She told me she'll drop by.

Ki-hoon: Okay, see you later.

After the phone call, Ki-hoon told Hugye Ahjussis, "He already knows."

Dong-hoon's explanation only Ki-hoon knew, so Je-Cheol asked Ji-an:

0hZpCC1EEK48k668zVRQ0tZlRFGrMbi0j8ZFrRLK

And maybe Ji-an is still shy to Ahjussis, so Jung-hee helped her and answered:

cefr5YqY-Gy08x5PH5xuyF47_oGy2xzwG5hfmtfb

"She was passing by, and I asked her to come in. I figured you guys would want to see her."

-Discussing-

Dong-hoon's explanation is "She told me she'll drop by,"

while Jung-hee's explanation is "She was passing by, and I asked her to come in."

MRNFwJLSmg-OSmKhHxNlSzm-yds5k_I0UNqRtNvZ

cefr5YqY-Gy08x5PH5xuyF47_oGy2xzwG5hfmtfb

I don't know whether there is a translation problem here or not, but it looks like Dong-hoon is talking about "Ji-an is herself originally plan to go to Jung-hee's bar, not Jung-hee bring her there," while Jung-hee's explanation is more like "Ji-an is not herself want to be here, but I asked her to come in."

That is, 

Dong-hoon: Ji-an is initiative V.S. Jung-hee: Ji-an is passive

These two explanations obviously contradict each other.

So I think Park Ki-hoon already understood what's going on here:

"My brother took Ji-an to Jung-hee's bar,

and now my brother and Jung-hee are hiding the truth from everyone."

-Ki-hoon's sensitive-

Maybe someone would say that in our daily life, sometimes we will also meet a situation like this.

For example, maybe Ki-hoon could understand Dong-hoon and Jung-hee's explanations as 

"Jung-hee brought Ji-an here, then Ji-an called Dong-hoon that she was there, then Dong-hoon thought it was Ji-an who personally wanted to be there." ...blah blah blah, something like that.

But considering Ki-hoon's sensitivity, I think Ki-hoon already realized Dong-hoon and Jung-hee were lying to them.

(EP12)

Ki-hoon guessed that Dong-hoon and Yoon-hee had a fight.
YdsBHh2BTbmzjbWZHDdHJRLSGKH_8Dw5x67m0Nkg

08Pm9AiaUcKzi132zRf9oLX_LxHnWzBedmfZ4wMu

UDMgCOXqL0Ysjohzb0ZiGMHbwKuNYRFIMmpx193P

(EP13)

Although Yoon-hee said "I didn't cheat," Ki-hoon directly understood that

Yoon-hee was lying to him and understood that Yoon-hee really had an affair.

1wxi2FThIrNgBscLOY7VOo0QvHp2Bp5LX7WEQMyR

QipsxOGBTrE686sjaEecZwnuAAAhD2ytGDn_L7nm

AFwWb1K73EkGLxlv7DTlxJGRKzlJ4V3BJE7JEbe_

So based on Ki-hoon's sensitivity, I think Ki-hoon already realized Dong-hoon and Jung-hee were lying to them.

-The presentation of the camera-

If there is no translation problem here, then one more thing I think could support this point of view is the presentation of the camera.

When Dong-hoon arrived at Jung-hee's bar, Je-Cheol said to Dong-hoon:

"Jung-hee saw her passing by and asked her to come in."

The moment this dialogue shows up, the director Kim Won-seok immediately gives us Park Ki-hoon's close-up.

M81bMMOkzoUY1Kfi7xCCt_a6PVz04TdHtppN9oBP

It looks like the director Kim Won-seok wants to show us the facial expression of Park Ki-hoon when he hears this dialogue.

And Korean shippers once said, Ki-hoon looks a little bit unhappy at this shot.

Indeed Ki-hoon looks a little bit unhappy, but if Ki-hoon is really unhappy, it is a weird thing because when Ki-hoon called Dong-hoon, it seems Ki-hoon want Dong-hoon quickly come to see Ji-an.

h1unNswJus6rdFzj-YqnULux02cDPNEasjOSOiQ7

Before / After of Ki-hoon's emotion

dNQFszXXvUlpsy_hzVQpBY27V9vSbqdlHxTgw8O3

So what made Ki-hoon unhappy when Dong-hoon arrived?

Is it because he got something from the dialogue "Jung-hee saw her passing by and asked her to come in"?

I personally think Ki-hoon's reaction is a little bit weird in this scene.

So I guess when Dong-hoon arrived at Jung-hee's bar, and Je-Cheol told Dong-hoon, "Jung-hee saw her passing by and asked her to come in," Park Ki-hoon already knew that it was Park Dong-hoon who brought Lee Ji-an to Jung-hee's bar by Dong-hoon and Jung-hee' inconsistent explanations.

Hmmm...

I always think about whether Yoon Sang-won represents Park Dong-hoon's something in Dong-hoon's heart. :rubchin:

I guess many audiences could accept that Ki-hoon is Dong-hoon's desire while Sang-hoon is Dong-hoon's conscience.

Then I always consider whether other characters have the similar function for our hero and heroine.

And the following is my personal addition (Imagination. LOL.):

-Seo Choon-Dae is the concrete visual image of Lee Ji-an's 30,000 years old souls.

Dong-hoon once commented to Ji-an, "Children who have been hurt grow up too fast."

So maybe the moment Choon-Dae appeared in Ji-an's life, that means Ji-an's mental age was growing at a very unnatural pace.

And Choon-Dae is a person who lives his life by recycling garbage. Perhaps this is a symbol of Ji-an's growing-up process. Ji-an also always had to face frustrations and pains, and then she had to organize her emotions to continue living.

-Jung-hee is the owner of the psychological space where Dong-hoon puts the people he cares about.

Yoon-hee once said to Dong-hoon, "Everyone you care about are at Jung-hee’s."

And now Jung-hee is Jung-hee's bar's owner, so Jung-hee should be the owner of the psychological space where Dong-hoon puts the people he cares about.

When Dong-hoon took Ji-an to Jung-hee’s bar, it means that Dong-hoon had fully admitted his feelings for Ji-an and put Ji-an in an important place in his heart.

-The owner of the restobar is the owner of Dong-hoon's private mind.

The restobar seems to be a symbol of Dong-hoon's private mind.

Only the person who is accepted from the bottom of Dong-hoon's heart can enter this space.

So the owner of the restobar is the owner of Dong-hoon's private mind.

I remember many people already mentioned that the owner of the restobar's words in EP10 was just what Dong-hoon was thinking about:

"Either you put up with her for three years then divorce her or ten years then divorce her."

It seems to make sense because he is the owner of Dong-hoon's private mind, so he just says what Park Dong-hoon wants. :rubchin:

-

Then what about Yoon Sang-won?

This is the question I am always curious about.

I always think he represents a power in Dong-hoon's heart which could lead Dong-hoon to become nicer and nicer.

After all, Yoon Sang-won is obviously important to Park Dong-hoon in MM.

He helps him to become nicer and nicer.

So what does he represent in Park Dong-hoon's mind? :rubchin:

And based on this post's idea, I always think that the following scene is a symbol of Park Dong-hoon's mental activity.

batch_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-03-21-u4

But I still don't know what is that mental activity is.

If I can understand what Yoon Sang-won represents, then maybe there will be an answer. :rubchin:

But maybe KWS and PHY do not give any meaning to Yoon Sang-won and these are just my imagination. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1

About the story of EP9 DongAn's script, I always think that when Dong-hoon was waiting for Ji-an to come back, he had already made a date with the Park brothers to eat tuna at that time.

He didn't go to eat the tuna first because he thought Ji-an was more important than tuna. So he was willing to give up the delicious food temporarily to wait for Ji-an.

Later, I found one of Yu-ra's dialogues can support this point of view.

It appears in EP13, as follows.

(EP13)

3wQY4Amri7ch1qfX8wWT9S_RW11ezkfOy8T0Gpc4

JC: I still can't reach them. Those darn punks. They went to eat something, didn't they?

JH: !

JB: It must be a pretty big deal.

JC: I bet they're eating tuna.

YR: I got stood up because of tuna?

JC: ......

YR: I really hope it's just tuna.

The translation seems to be a little different from version to version, but its original Korean is as follows:

"내가 참치에 밀린 거예요? (불안한 눈빛) 진짜루 참치에 밀린 거였으면 좋겠다.... "

And its meaning actually is as follows:

"Did I get beaten by a tuna? (Disturbed look) I wish I had been defeated by a tuna..."

Yu-ra's meaning of "Did I get beaten by a tuna?" was, "Comparing with tuna, I guess I am not the important one in Ki-hoon's heart."

I mentioned this dialogue because this dialogue shows us in MM, humans and tuna are comparable.

That is, "tuna" is a tool that people could use to measure whether A is important in B's mind and then how important she/he is because tuna dinner is a very delicious meal.

So as for why KWS and PHY set this dialogue in the story, I guess it is because they want to hint to the audience that "In Park Dong-hoon's heart, Lee Ji-an is more important than tuna, that's why he was willing to wait for her return first and late for the tuna dinner."

If that's not the case, then there's no point for the writer and director to give us the information that "humans and tuna are comparable."

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Recently I read an introduction about "puzzle films" in Film Art: An Introduction 12/e written by David Bordwell:

LHaPGcxe4_LjEi7dBPZDnBH_0Q-RmLbmnbSnvbJ5

——Film Art: An Introduction 12/e, P. 43, by David Bordwell

I don't know what you guys think after reading this paragraph, but what I immediately thought of when I read this paragraph was My Mister.

I guess that KWS and PHY are using the narrative of "puzzle films" to design the loveline between Park Dong-hoon and Lee Ji-an, and maybe DongYoon's divorce and DongAn's new start.

And I guess the information about DongAn's wedding also uses this kind of method to hide in the script. After all, the whole drama keeps mentioning "marriage."

On 9/10/2022 at 4:30 AM, the_sweetroad said:

Oh! I never caught that he had actually been demoted and was earning less than before. Do you remember where they said that? I know he was the "ace" of the design team (which seemed like a subjective, not official, designation) and he was moved to the safety team. I had thought that was a lateral move, which still "hurt" PDH since it meant he wasn't doing what he loved (and Dir Yoon was now his direct supervisor)..but was it actually a demotion where he ended up earning less?

I don’t think the word “demotion” was ever used in the show. The phrase was “pushed the ace of the Design Team away to the Safety Inspection Team” as mentioned by the lead director in camp DH, as they were deliberating who to put forward as candidates for promotion. (ep 8, around 1:09:30 mark) He was insinuating that people above DH are threatened by his competence “because Mr. Park was climbing up the corporate ladder unchallenged.”

I’m not a civil engineer, so any inputs from one would be welcome. Technically it’s a lateral transfer for DH, and though compensation was not mentioned, I don’t think he’d be earning less. But generally, doing design work is considered more prestigious compared to safety work. As such, people in the design team would tend to have more visibility and upward mobility in their careers. Like say, an engineering firm’s COO or even the CEO would more likely come from the design team than from the safety team, if they are to come from the engineering teams. As sometimes they can come from Sales/Marketing  or from Finance.

So officially it's a lateral transfer, but practically a demotion for DH. But apparently he did so well while he was in Design, that the scheme to hide him in Safety as a political maneuver didn’t quite work out for Director Yoon.

And it just dawned on me now, based on the few lines that DH uttered in a phone conversation post-time skip, and also on the short clip of the work being done by Manager Seo, that DH’s new firm might not be a general engineering & construction company that Saman was, but could just be focused on providing safety-related work like consulting and safety advisory & design services. It makes sense as it was his safety team that he brought with him, and the cubicles of the safety team were just outside his room. And that gives credence to what @YukawaCattle mentioned, that the Chairman could have invested in DH’s firm as it was not competing directly with Saman. So looking back, his "demotion" to the Safety team has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

13 hours ago, actionscript said:

I’m not a civil engineer, so any inputs from one would be welcome. Technically it’s a lateral transfer for DH, and though compensation was not mentioned, I don’t think he’d be earning less. But generally, doing design work is considered more prestigious compared to safety work. As such, people in the design team would tend to have more visibility and upward mobility in their careers. Like say, an engineering firm’s COO or even the CEO would more likely come from the design team than from the safety team, if they are to come from the engineering teams. As sometimes they can come from Sales/Marketing  or from Finance.

So officially it's a lateral transfer, but practically a demotion for DH. But apparently he did so well while he was in Design, that the scheme to hide him in Safety as a political maneuver didn’t quite work out for Director Yoon.

I never worked in big companies of architecture as DH did in engineering, so was a bit of automatic when I said that he was demoted, sorry. Those scenes just gave me the feeling that he was demoted (and probably earning less), because was referred in a negative way going from design team to safe team afterwards.

Edited by dongans

[Mirror]

Goodbye Hug Is the Best Wish that Park Dong-hoon Brings to Lee Ji-an

After Sacrificing His Self-interest

u9996u5716u7b2cu4e8cu6b21u64c1u62b1.jpg?

Preface

In this “Mirror" series, I will analyze MM’s script and clearly point out the high sync between DongAn and KiYu in the entire play for you guys. The point of this is that we can learn about Park Dong-hoon’s real mind through KiYu’s script.

• The “Details" section will be listed first for DongAn’s script and then for KiYu’s.
  • The “Comprehensive Inventory" section will clearly tell you how KiYu’s and DongAn’s scripts are corresponded to.
  • The “Conclusion" section will conclude Park Dong-hoon’s real mind, which is given based on the high synchronization.

Note 1: The pictures and lines here are from Netflix.

Note 2: The same number corresponds to the same story element.

You guys could also read this article on my blog. Thanks.

Spoiler

Details

(DongAn) EP15 Reunion in Choon-Dae’s hut

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-07-09-u4e0a

(Dong-hoon ran wildly to Choon-dae’s cabin.) 1

(After Dong-hoon had composed himself, he entered the door.) 2

(Ji-an surprised.)

Ji-an: (Laughed)……You thought I only killed someone, didn’t you? But I did all sorts of other things. I could’ve done more. You shouldn’t have been nice to me more than four times. You’re so kind to everyone like a fool. That’s why you always get fooled. 3

(Dong-hoon went in front of Ji-an and sat.)

Dong-hoon: Thank you. 4

Dong-hoon: Thank you for being on my side even after you heard how f**ked up my life is. 4

Ji-an: ……

Dong-hoon: From now on, I need to be happy no matter what. I’m done seeing you get hurt because of how much you pity me. I can’t bear to see you go through something like this. How could a little kid like you end up doing this because you pitied an adult like me? 5

Dong-hoon: I just can’t stand how much that aches my heart. 5

Dong-hoon: If I don’t live a happy life, you’ll continue to feel sorry for me. And if you continue to feel sorry for me, I won’t be able to stand it 5

Dong-hoon: So you just watch, okay? Watch how happy I become. 5

Dong-hoon: It’s nothing.

Dong-hoon: Being humiliated? People talking about your life being ruined? Those are nothing. I can be happy. I won’t let this ruin my life. I’m going to be happy. 5

Dong-hoon: I’ll be happy. 5

Ji-an: (Sobbing) I really…… wanted you to be happy. (Crying) 6

Dong-hoon: I know. I promise I’ll be happy. 5

(Ji-an continued to cry.) 7

(Dong-hoon stared at Ji-an’s hand but moved his eyes away at the next second.) 8

(DongAn) EP16 Goodbye Hug

(DongAn walked to the railroad crossing.)

Dong-hoon: (His eyes glistened with tears.) Goodbye. 9

Ji-an: Can I give you a hug? 10

Dong-hoon: (Nodding)11

(Dong-hoon walked up to Ji-an.) 11

(Dong-hoon hugged Ji-an.) 12

(Ji-an hugged Dong-hoon.)

(Dong-hoon let go of Ji-an.)

Dong-hoon: Bye.

Dong-hoon: Go.

(Dong-hoon left.) 13

(Ji-an turned around and left.)

(Ji-an suddenly thought of something.)

Ji-an: Cheer up. 14

(Dong-hoon stopped and turned around.) 14

Dong-hoon: ……! 14

(Dong-hoon smiled.) 15

Dong-hoon: Let’s cheer up. 15

(Ji-an smiled.)

(Ji-an turned around and left.)

(Dong-hoon felt sad.)

--------------------------------------------------------

(KiYu) EP8 Part One

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-07-09-u4e0b

Sang-hoon: Why did Mun-sik run away?

Ahjussi: Right. Mun-sik.

Je-Cheol: All he had was the building that his father left behind. Now, that’s completely gone.

Sang-hoon: Doesn’t he have two wives?

Je-Cheol: With the the first one, he had kids.

Yu-ra: I…

Je-Cheol: With the second wife…

Yu-ra: My mom is my dad’s third wife. (Hugye Ahjussis silent…) You couldn’t tell, right?

Jung-hee: Right.

Yu-ra: When I was little, I used to sit on my dad’s second wife’s lap. She married my dad after his first wife passed away, so there was no problem. Only my mom was a problem.

(Jung-hee gave Yu-ra a look.)

Yu-ra: But I sat down on her lap anyway, and she couldn’t do anything about it.(Hugye Ahjussis sighed.) I always called her, “Big Mommy!" I used to run to her, hug her, and kiss her. (Hugye Ahjussis began to whisper.) She passed away when I was in middle school. I did that until she passed away.

Je-Cheol: He took out a loan or something.

Yu-ra: Should I call that cheeky?

(Hugye Ahjussis kept whispering.)

Yu-ra: Ever since I was a kid, I’ve never felt intimidated or nervous or anything. (Ahjussi: Wasn’t that Mun-sik?) I think I was born that way. They said I always brightened up a room even when it was full of heavy atmosphere. Everyone felt better when I went around the room. They all told me that I was never in low spirits. (Smiled) …… Until ten years ago, I didn’t know…… what low spirits meant……

Je-Cheol: Hey. Take her outside.

Sang-hoon: Yes. She’s here to see you.

Ki-hoon: Why? What are you talking about? Just drink.

Sang-hoon: Gosh. She’s here to see you.

Ki-hoon: No, she’s not.

Sang-hoon: Let’s go.

Ahjussis: Yes, we better leave.

Sang-hoon: Gosh, you punk.

Ahjussis: Heartless b*st**d (Cheers).

Je-Cheol: I think she’s drunk.

(Ahjussis: “Gosh", “Let’s just drink.)

(Ahjussis toasted and was going to drink it all…)

(Yu-ra got up, and Ahjussis stopped their movement.)

(Yu-ra sat at Ahjussis’s place.)

(Everyone put the soju down excepted Ki-hoon.)

(Ki-hoon drank the soju.)

Yu-ra: Put me back to the way I was. You put me in low spirits. So put me back in high spirits. Lively and cheerful like I used to be. 6

(Ahjussis silent……)

Yu-ra: Whenever I go in for an audition, I feel like I’m going to die. I can’t breathe at the thought of being criticized again. I want to act again. I really do. But I feel like I’m going to die when I try to act. I miss, being cheerful. (Cried) So, put me back to the way I was. Put me back in high spirits. 6

Sang-hoon: Put her back.

Ki-hoon: How?

Yu-ra: With all your heart. Do the best you can. Put me back. (Cried) 6

Ki-hoon: ……! (Sighed)

(Yu-ra was crying.) 7

(Ki-hoon was drinking.) 8 

(KiYu) EP8 Part Two

(Ki-hoon ran to Yu-ra’s house and knocked on the door anxiously.) 1

(Yu-ra opened the door.) 2

Ki-hoon: Okay. I’ll put you back in high spirits. 5 What do you want me to do? How can I put you cack? Tell me. 4

(Yu-ra wanted to close the door.) 3

Ki-hoon: (Ki-hoon grabbed the door.) I’ll put you back. 4

Yu-ra: Never mind. (Yu-ra wanted to close the door again.) 3

Ki-hoon: I said I’ll put you back! (Ki-hoon grabbed the door.) 4 ……I’m sorry. I’ll be good to you until you’re better. 5 See you later. 9

(Ki-hoon was going downstairs.) 9

Yu-ra: Will you…… hug me before you go? 10, 14

(Ki-hoon was going upstairs again.) 11, 15

(Ki-hoon hugged Yu-ra.) 12, 15

(Ki-hoon left.) 13

(Yu-ra kept crying.)

After the elements of EP15 and EP16 DongAn’s script were broken up, the scriptwriter did not reorganize them in the original order, so it may be difficult to see where the same structure exists in KiYu’s script.

However, even though it is not in the original order, we can still patiently take our time to compare these two scripts.

Let’s take the order of DongAn’s script to understand this.

The order of DongAn’s script is as follows.

The man ran to the place where the woman was in a hurry

The man arrived at the door where the woman was + The door opened

The woman pushed the man away mentally

The man tried to change the woman’s mind

The man promised the woman that

he would do something to make her feel better

The woman cried at the man because

she wanted him to do something that made her happy

The woman kept crying

The man watched the woman cry, but he did not comfort her

The man said goodbye to the woman

The woman asked the man to hug her

The man accepted the woman’s requirement

The man hugged the woman gently

The man let go of the woman and left first

The woman said something to stop the man’s leaving

The man heard the woman’s words, turned back

The man gave a positive response to the woman

And if we want to follow the order of DongAn’s script, the following is the order of KiYu’s script:

(KiYu) EP8 Part Two

(KiYu) EP8 Part One

(KiYu) EP8 Part Two

We only need to know that the scriptwriter did not reorganize KiYu’s story in DongAn’s order. We don’t need to remember this order.

After understanding this, let’s take a look.

The time of Comprehensive Inventory :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

zVfTnSKehnJVPfdUfu44CXAvj4Y_f5yEIddRNU-X

4zfbLjj-6RGBPdzedQCQ1i1WiYKrO5aHv-wcdbJ3

5sb1EHjiH1lpl1zHQe0S7JGw5jCYjoZ6fC8RxIf0

GEA18hr5jaW76vrBGs-VIzFOlwMmqBu7Z8dUvIeX

r4VInSWypESNH7SLrS9UuvT-hGMYfV63-K76nsEz

DqPkxvFr-GRe4GzO26TjVrgZuhaW6lMlPkbfUuym

KpYVjeW25aYVOrWPIrRPFgK2_iVTuIMJ3fjLB2Fv

1LoPVy--4WKr1DU7KWXyV-WZfQcRrFQrP4qis9jF

kNmyjUsisJzfS63PSYrgjW9yUUJlz3iQLKGqYc_6

mcP9iypwSdw04RdEFwkhtC24JbOhrvRQZbQpWoSf

2qKENfdYoEU5j78XNlgrr2Gs8EkVA45-hoZiHgoy

Uv8GHsxQIQJFKWvUYXNFf5mDRBwPgtTuid8VSoGt

mFtkpv9Ubm7bAviU3GXrAnsTYfgK8CPOuHWEtWtF

VsJkLsotupT1WUAgtUtf9m7pXGMirwMKEsG5Sl-k

znGRtAJp07TY9IJyZAa9G6C5_M8JesL6xf5pa8Th

FQDj4osERrmVrFOWhTlSprGJuS7sVopybZGJWgbu

CnnC90AlpNkMzxf8zpSFtAhRUuEnwtXfoKNQdBT0

GfOXJIa6zPrm7yToj27mwezK98rjywHky7_Lmxak

Uk3A0lc-vRSbGKV_hX40n4GAVz01t86QQuYx8D9i

VD7XSRUA03Lf0hP0OtKcz3IdR7wQf19HfTfefUwe

Note:

In EP8 KiYu’s script, there is a paragraph that is a one-to-many correspondence:

4jvCy3FM0zo-kgI7RrP2sAnENWxfazEWXMR1DMKP

The two things in DongAn’s script that this KiYu’s paragraph corresponds are as follows:

xIGADRVauIaXP4mYhV8_txBWXJE0wSQeSk-tJRn9

5KaDcPCkXq0BA9zfgCYKQXTDGWpCNOoh0EZRbhUG

Conclusion

There are two conclusions in this article, as follows:

(1) Goodbye hug is the best wish that Park Dong-hoon brings to Lee Ji-an after sacrificing his self-interest

(2) We get the meaning of symbols: A space = A human’s heart / The door of the space = The door of one’s heart

Let’s take a look :partyblob:

(1) Goodbye hug is the best wish that Park Dong-hoon brings to Lee Ji-an after sacrificing his self-interest

Note that we have the following correspondence:

zC-y2FUTvF1IbG73SB2cz3tpruASvLAMi04Pfd-H

So the answer of “Why did Park Dong-hoon hug Lee Ji-an so gently rather than tightly?" maybe exist in KiYu’s hug scene.

In EP8, Ki-hoon hugged Yu-ra because he wanted to make Yu-ra happy by giving hugs. This is an action to help Yu-ra to overcome her past trauma and to wish that she can continue to act in the future.

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-08-31-u4e0a

But why did Ki-hoon hug Yu-ra so gently rather than tightly?

In EP7, when Yu-ra wanted to make physical contact, we saw Ki-hoon’s refusal reason:

(EP7)

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-09-23-u4e0a

“Let’s say I carry you home. Then you invite me inside, so I go in. Then we sleep together. And the next day, we sleep together again. And we do the same thing over and over again. (Sighed) Are you going to marry me? So just get up. Get up.”

→ Key words: carry you, home, sleep together

From Ki-hoon’s words, he seemed to think it was not a good thing for a woman to sleep with a man before dating him.

And now, Ki-hoon was embracing Yu-ra just in front of her room door – objectively speaking, this is a more intimate physical contact than carrying Yu-ra home.

If he allowed himself to fully accept the attraction of Yu-ra’s body to him at this time, the two of them would probably sleep together at this moment.

So for Yu-ra’s sake, Ki-hoon must restrain his desire at this moment. That’s why he chose to embrace Yu-ra gently rather than tightly here.

We can see that Ki-hoon’s situation is that he hoped the woman he loved could overcome her psychological trauma soon so that she could do well in the future, so he wanted to bring her happiness by hugging her. On the other hand, Ki-hoon had to embrace her gently to restrain his desire.

Now, Park Dong-hoon met in a similar situation, just like Park Ki-hoon.

Ji-an was about to leave Hugye. She would start a new life from now on, and a bright future was waiting for her.

Thinking that Ji-an had given so much help to him, Dong-hoon was willing to make Ji-an happy by hugging her at this moment.

When hugging Ji-an, Dong-hoon hoped that Ji-an could leave her past pain behind and be completely happy in the future.

hug.gif

When he first took Ji-an into his arms, Dong-hoon patted her back, seemingly to comfort her and to say, “I hope everything is going well with you."

In this scene, just like Ki-hoon did self-restraint for Yu-ra's sake, Dong-hoon also did self-restraint for Ji-an's sake when he hugged her.

Dong-hoon, of course, did not want Ji-an to leave him. His “Why are you moving so far away" sounded very sad.

But for Ji-an’s sake, Dong-hoon couldn’t show too much unwillingness to stop her from leaving so that she could completely develop her personality in a nice environment in the future.

Therefore, Dong-hoon must be careful not to show his reluctance during the hug because of his sadness. He also needed to be careful not to indulge in physical contact with Ji-an out of selfishness.

This is why Dong-hoon abandoned the option of hugging tightly and only hugged Ji-an gently instead.

Dong-hoon gave his warmth and blessings to Ji-an

but also restrained his desires for her.

He also gave his smile to Ji-an

and kept his sadness to himself.

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-08-31-u4e0b

→ Goodbye hug is the best wish that Park Dong-hoon brings to Lee Ji-an after sacrificing his self-interest

----------------------------

:partyblob: Cattle’s balanced report:

The following is Kim Won-seok’s explanation about DongAn’s hug.

Q: Ji-an and Dong-hoon’s hug looks a little bit awkward. What is the meaning of such a presentation?

KWS: This kind of awkward hug shows the innermost feelings of both main characters, doesn’t it? The two people had become each other’s precious existence. Although it looked like they were not being heartfelt, the audience should be able to feel their innermost feelings of being precious to each other. I think that would be more heartbreaking, right? Both of them kept a certain distance from each other, so they definitely didn’t want to be too sad.

Ji-an’s facial expression when she said “Can I give you a hug?" is what I want. It’s a bit cool and just like a normal conversation, but you know it’s not really like that.

—— Director’s Cut Limited Edition-Kim Won-seok interview

------------------------------

(2) We get the meaning of symbols: A space = A human’s heart / The door of the space = The door of one’s heart

Note that we have the following correspondence:

tfGwkmO02QlwPiaRCbLucF8kEm4cW8Cfpd5l2_5j

wl4Sdv5MIVj7kxyJ2Pi3qXRtCzf-6YU2nzW_RVU0

tu0JpZUzuXJrGu004oaFw3s6SY-blhdhgOKD6gpy

Based on the above, we could discover that “the action that Yu-ra wanted to close the door" is the reification of “Ji-an wanted to push away Dong-hoon." Also, “the action that Ki-hoon wanted to stop Yu-ra closed the door" is the reification of “Dong-hoon hoped that Ji-an could change her mind and hear to his genuineness."

That is to say, these correspondences point out an interesting translation for us:

In this scene, KiYu’s actions are the reification of DongAn’s mental activity.

So we could get the following symbol meaning:

→ The door of a space = The door of one’s heart

But if so, then that space will correspond to that one’s heart.

So we also could get the following symbol

→ A space = A human’s heart

:partyblob: Cattle’s murmur:

A paragraph of EP16 DongAn’s goodbye hug does not correspond to EP8 KiYu’s script.

But I think this is not too important in this article, so I just list them in this section for you guys.

As follows:

yJCNCUU46eCY8PcwlBmEoLPjdEnVHlBkJLS01juI

NWWOE00U2qPIKkxSzVtFhC5kG1UB0x3UubIy04HK

KJwXSd9nu9jIYYrbzymehALvoYKZX0vh0wxO9qOZ

08KAnzqa0H63iVhBzsVR1L5UCTmd3GskcUC8-rwe

Note:

(I) †: The translation of Kim Won-seok’s interview is from bilibili’s channel which called "我不是剧博."

(II) This article is based on Lorenza Lucchi Basili and Pier Luigi Sacco’s point of view:

"…… Now, finally he hugs her in a warm embrace, and we see clearly how she finally has the confirmation of the outcome of her auditory test through other sensory channels, and she would not loosen up that contact, but after a while he breaks away and releases her.

Park Dong Hoon’s choice is not an easy one. It is a choice driven by love, by someone who is ready to self-sacrifice to this extent for the good of the other, to allow Lee Ji An to become a fully mature adult and to leave her sad past behind. To become a different person, the one she should have been from the outset, at this point Lee Ji An needs, and must, walk alone toward the new life awaiting her. This is why Park Dong Hoon makes a step back and aside. Had he accommodated his physical attraction toward her, she wouldn’t have wanted to leave anymore.

——Fictional Narratives as a Laboratory for the Social Cognition of Behavioral Change: My Ajussi, by Lorenza Lucchi Basili and Pier Luigi Sacco"

Thanks for their wonderful interpretation.

(III) The following is the original script of when Park Dong-hoon heard that Section Chief Song said “I really want to give her (Ji-an) a hug."

(Translated by Papago+DeepL):

(EP16)

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-09-24-u4e0b

Song: Ah. A righteous girl. She is really manly and full of righteousness.

Hyung-kyu: Let’s arrange a party with Ji-an sometime.

Song: Sure. I really want to give her a big hug.

Dong-hoon: That’s right. I should have been… (nicer to her earlier)

Song: But I’m still very nice to her. This guy (Agent Kim) is so bad.

Kim: (because I’m sorry) Ah… I’m going crazy…

Here, Section Chief Song seemed to tell Dong-hoon’s desire to hug Ji-an (“I really want to give her a big hug."), and although Dong-hoon didn’t finish his sentence (“I should have been… (nicer to her earlier)"), Song immediately said, “But I’m still very nice to her."

Section Chief Song always seems to understand what Park Dong-hoon was thinking about. :rubchin:

Most importantly, he spoke out about what was in Park Dong-hoon’s mind here again:ph34r:^_^

(Why do I mean “again" (´・ω・`)?)

By the way, although the director replaced Dong-hoon’s lines with a look, I believe Dong-hoon’s desire should be the same. Otherwise, Dong-hoon would not have glared at Section Chief Song with such fierce eyes. :sweatingbullets:

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-09-24-u4e0b

“How dare you? She is mine. :angry:

• Blob 1

On 9/25/2022 at 5:17 AM, actionscript said:

Technically it’s a lateral transfer for DH, and though compensation was not mentioned, I don’t think he’d be earning less. But generally, doing design work is considered more prestigious compared to safety work. As such, people in the design team would tend to have more visibility and upward mobility in their careers. Like say, an engineering firm’s COO or even the CEO would more likely come from the design team than from the safety team, if they are to come from the engineering teams. As sometimes they can come from Sales/Marketing  or from Finance.

Thank you! Very helpful.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:37 PM, dongans said:

Those scenes just gave me the feeling that he was demoted (and probably earning less), because was referred in a negative way going from design team to safe team afterwards.

I found in an old post here on Soompi that even I used the term "demoted" in reference to DH moving from the Design Team to the Safety Team. It was when you mentioned the less pay that I thought more seriously about it. :lol:

But yes, the show made it clear that going from the Design Team to the Safety Team was a negative for DH, and that the managing directors themselves thought it was a negative, maybe even shameful thing. Poor guy.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:17 AM, actionscript said:

So looking back, his "demotion" to the Safety team has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Just going to isolate this sentence and put a spin on it, hope you don't mind. :)I imagine his move to the Safety Team made DH a quite well-rounded engineer. From designing new builds to later seeing what could happen to old builds, he had a wider experience and scope than did other engineers, probably. Indeed a blessing in disguise.

• Blob 2

[Mirror]

EP8 KiYu's Story Symbolizes Park Dong-hoon's Journey of Mind

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-09-26-u4e0b

Preface

Note: The pictures and lines here are from Netflix.

You guys could also read this article on my blog. Thanks.

Spoiler

[ Start ]

In DongAn's script, EP15 reunion in Choon-Dae’s hut is a connected story without any other story interlude within it. However, the corresponding story, KiYu's EP8, is split into two parts.

As a comparison, EP14 DongAn's goodbye phone call is a connected story without any other story interlude within it, and the corresponding story, EP10 KiYu's phone call, is almost connected. (Besides Sang-hoon and Omma’s dialogues, there is no other story interlude.)

So when I studied KiYu’s EP8, I always wondered,

"Why did Park Hae-young break up the connected story (DongAn's EP15)

into several parts (KiYu's EP8)?"

(Note: The white bar in the following images is the episode’s timeline.)

Schematic diagram of EP10 KiYu’s phone call

ep10-kiyu.png

→ In EP10 KiYu’s phone call, except for the conversation between Sang-hoon and Omma, there are no other interludes in the middle of the story. KiYu’s story is almost connected here, similar to the situation of DongAn’s goodbye phone call.

Schematic diagram of EP8 KiYu’s story

ep8-kiyu-1.png

→ Many other stories are interspersed between two parts of EP8 KiYu’s story. KiYu’s EP8 is disconnected here, and a “whitespace" exists in the middle. This situation is different from DongAn's reunion in Choon-Dae's hut.

(KiYu’s EP8 actually has three parts. But I want to skip "Yu-ra’s audition + Yu-ra splattered coffee” here because it's just for the opening of EP8 KiYu's story. The latter two parts of KiYu's EP8 are more important for us to study the symmetry of KiYu-DongAn.)

Later, I found that KiYu’s EP8, from Ki-hoon’s point of view, symbolizes Dong-hoon’s journey of mind from do not know how to be happy to determining to be happy, and maybe that's why.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details

[ Dong-hoon's Journey of Mind, from EP6 to EP16 ]

In EP6, Dong-hoon confirmed that Yoon-hee was having an affair.

(EP6)

But he didn't know how to face it yet and even thought that everything would be fine if he sacrificed himself, so he didn’t face the problem for the time being.

However, Dong-hoon still felt sad, so he subtly revealed his emotions to Ji-an and had a "Soju promise" with her.

(EP6)

(Dong-hoon drank, and Ji-an didn't move.)

Dong-hoon: When you hear people talk behind someone's back, don't relay the story to that person. Feign ignorance.

Ji-an: ......

Dong-hoon: Keeping one informed may be a sign of friendship among kids your age, but adults don't work that way. Feigning ignorance is a loyal and polite thing to do. If you relay the story, that person will avoid you. It's uncomfortable to be around someone who knows about your scars. (Drank)

(Dong-hoon poured wine and drank.)

[ The phase of "talk past each other" ]

Dong-hoon: (Sighed) You just need to make sure no one knows. Then it's not a big deal. As long as no one knows, (Memory of Minette) It's not a big deal.

Ji-an: Then you will be scared until someone knows.

(Dong-hoon turned to look at Ji-an.)

Ji-an: "Who knows?", "Who else knows?"

(Dong-hoon turned back.)

Ji-an: Every time you meet someone, you will wonder, "When will this person know?", "Does this person already know?"

Dong-hoon: ......

Ji-an: Sometimes, I want to save myself the anxiety by displaying it on the digital screen at Gwanghwamun Square for the world to find out.

(The digital screen: LEE JI-AN IS A MURDERER. SHE STABBED A MAN TO DEATH.)

Dong-hoon: I will feign ignorance.

Ji-an: ......

Dong-hoon: No matter what I hear about you, I will feign ignorance.

(Ji-an stared at Dong-hoon.)

Dong-hoon: So please promise me that you will do the same.

Ji-an: ......!

Dong-hoon: I am scared... that you would know everything even when I don't say a word.

Ji-an: ......!

(Ji-an looked at Dong-hoon for a few seconds, then the two of them fell silent.)

Ji-an took the "Soju promise" in mind, secretly helped Dong-hoon a lot, and eventually ran away for Dong-hoon's sake.

Not until EP14 that Dong-hoon learned about Ji-an's eavesdropping and realized that she knew what he was suffering from all along. And Dong-hoon, the initiator of the "Soju promise," of course, knew why Ji-an had to protect Dong-hoon so quietly and alone.

script_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-04-27-u

Now Dong-hoon wanted to bring Ji-an back.

He asked Jun-young and Yoon-hee about Ji-an one after another.

In the end, Dong-hoon realized how much Ji-an was bothered by his unhappiness and how much she sacrificed for him.

(EP14)

lc_u87a2u5e55u5febu7167-2022-09-26-u4e0a

(EP15)

Dong-hoon regretted that the "Soju promise" he had made with Ji-an had caused Ji-an pain.

Finally, he determined to be happy for Ji-an's sake to prevent himself from becoming a burden in her life.

(EP15)

In the end, before Ji-an left Hugye, Dong-hoon hugged Ji-an and prayed for her happiness in the future.

(EP16)

------------------------------------------

[ Ki-hoon's Journey of Mind in EP8 ]

When Yu-ra went to the audition, she recalled her painful acting experience, so she went to Jung-hee's bar to find Ki-hoon and wanted him to be responsible for this.

Because Ahjussis were talking, it was hard for Yu-ra to cut off. But Yu-ra still wanted to make Ki-hoon notice her, so she loudly talked to Jung-hee about a similar topic as the Ahjussis.

At this point, a weird situation showed up: Yu-ra and Ahjussis talked past each other.

Sang-hoon: Why did Mun-sik run away?

Ahjussi: Right. Mun-sik.

Je-Cheol: All he had was the building that his father left behind. Now, that’s completely gone.

Sang-hoon: Doesn’t he have two wives?

Je-Cheol: With the the first one, he had kids.

Yu-ra: I…

Je-Cheol: With the second wife…

Yu-ra: My mom is my dad’s third wife. (Hugye Ahjussis silent…) You couldn’t tell, right?

Jung-hee: Right.

Yu-ra: When I was little, I used to sit on my dad’s second wife’s lap. She married my dad after his first wife passed away, so there was no problem. Only my mom was a problem.

(Jung-hee gave Yu-ra a look.)

Yu-ra: But I sat down on her lap anyway, and she couldn’t do anything about it.(Hugye Ahjussis sighed.) I always called her, “Big Mommy!" I used to run to her, hug her, and kiss her. (Hugye Ahjussis began to whisper.) She passed away when I was in middle school. I did that until she passed away.

Je-Cheol: He took out a loan or something.

Yu-ra: Should I call that cheeky?

(Hugye Ahjussis kept whispering.)

Yu-ra: Ever since I was a kid, I’ve never felt intimidated or nervous or anything. (Ahjussi: Wasn’t that Mun-sik?) I think I was born that way. They said I always brightened up a room even when it was full of heavy atmosphere. Everyone felt better when I went around the room. They all told me that I was never in low spirits. (Smiled) …… Until ten years ago, I didn’t know…… what low spirits meant……

But even so, Ki-hoon still ignored Yu-ra, so Yu-ra took the initiative to sit at the Ahjussis' table.

The moment when Yu-ra stared at Ki-hoon, besides Ki-hoon, everyone didn't dare to drink.

Yu-ra started to tell Ki-hoon why she came here and asked Ki-hoon to put her back to the cheerful like she used to be. Then Yu-ra started to cry. Ki-hoon didn't know what to do at this moment.

Ki-hoon finally couldn't stand the guilt. A few days later, he took the initiative to go to Yu-ra and say he wanted to help Yu-ra to put her back.

In order to make Yu-ra happy, Ki-hoon hugged her before leaving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some interesting observations:

First, both "Yu-ra and Ahjussis talked" and "Dong-hoon and Ji-an talked" have the same scenario, i.e., people were talking past each other.

lc_u5947u5ba5u5404u8aaau5404u8a71.jpg?w=

lc_u6771u81f3u5404u8aaau5404u8a71.jpg?w=

Next, at the moment when Yu-ra stared at Ki-hoon, Park Ki-hoon's action seemed to hint that he corresponds to EP6's Park Dong-hoon because he was the one who dared to drink.

And please note that both Dong-hoon and Ki-hoon were drinking soju.

Finally, just as EP6's Dong-hoon was overwhelmed, in EP8, Ki-hoon didn't know what to do when he saw Yu-ra crying and asking him to put her back.

→ These KiYu's paragraphs symbolize the scene of EP6 DongAn's "soju promise."

It's interesting, isn't it? :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

Now we understand the following: The KiYu story above symbolizes DongAn's soju promise. And as we mentioned in the previous article, the second half of KiYu's EP8 corresponds to DongAn's reunion in Choon-Dae's hut + goodbye hug. Moreover, from the context compiled in this article, we can see that Dong-hoon and Ki-hoon share the same journey: From being overwhelmed to making up their minds out of guilt.

With this understanding, let's consider the question again,

"Why did Park Hae-young split EP8 KiYu's story into two parts?"

ep8-kiyu-1.png

→ Perhaps Park Hae-young wanted to use "whitespace" to correspond to "When Dong-hoon knew about Ji-an's eavesdropping" because Ki-hoon must have been thinking about Yu-ra's trauma during that "whitespace." :partyblob:

We91OqOLZ9cL4-_329ikvXRY1-7fnutP1XLg--E3

After understanding what corresponds to KiYu’s “whitespace," we can see that KiYu’s EP8 has the same outline as Dong-hoon’s journey from “Soju promise" to “Goodbye hug" :

The man still didn't know how to face the situation he had met

The man was in a psychological transition for the woman's sake

The man adjusted his mentality, made up his mind,
and promised he would make the woman happy

The man wanted the woman to be happy
and embraced her in the end

Let’s take a look. :partyblob:

Comprehensive Inventory :partyblob:

UI3Ww_eIm6h1GgfFKEMiUv2JTr3zanjbeyrvgipE

HwR7g45X6u_klFSYJ0xbc8UjuE2TCqAO2UyTA_fw

G6CmsCdT4NhoGeoFIKfvKEfKObEqOZSAkq3voZgo

ivRPc9n2wodGZWWU6R0Keak-bBI0oi6GxyeCdlXr

Conclusion

EP8 KiYu’s story, from Ki-hoon’s point of view,

symbolizes Dong-hoon’s journey of mind

from do not know how to be happy to determining to be happy.

:partyblob:Cattle’s murmur:

Because this interpretation seems correct and fitting, I guess that for each episode of KiYu's script, besides the Corresponding layer, there exists another literary layer that is used to symbolize DongAn's story.

For example, EP5 Yu-ra's red bean bread, which I mentioned before, symbolizes DongAn's unfriendly dinners during EP1~EP3. And EP16 Yu-ra's movie, which was mentioned by @actionscript, symbolizes Ji-an's life in MM. Both stories are obviously Symbolic layers.

So, theoretically, there are probably three literary layers to each episode of KiYu's script:

(I) Narrative layer: KiYu’s love story.

(II) Corresponding layer: By observing KiYu-DongAn's script symmetry, the audience will understand Dong-hoon's true feelings for Ji-an.

(III) Symbolic layer: By observing KiYu's story, the audience will understand the precise direction of DongAn's relationship development.

Based on (III), I want to give a conjecture here:

The moment DongAn shook hands, the two should have already started a relationship

because EP12 KiYu's story should symbolize DongAn's relationship development from EP9 to EP16.

FAGisXXJLQ-aKhENfh_sjeBoFUpedK72W9oyWrni

Postscript

The idea of "KiYu made a pinky promise corresponds to DongAn shook hands," which is mentioned by@actionscript. What I am doing here just adds a conjecture: "When DongAn shook hands, the two were already in a relationship."

On 9/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, actionscript said:

And it just dawned on me now, based on the few lines that DH uttered in a phone conversation post-time skip, that DH’s new firm might not be a general engineering & construction company that Saman was, but could just be focused on providing safety-related work like consulting, inspections, and safety advisory & construction services. It makes sense as it was his safety team that he brought with him, and the cubicles of the safety team were just outside his room. And that gives credence to what @YukawaCattle mentioned, that the Chairman could have invested in DH’s firm as it was not competing directly with Saman. So looking back, his "demotion" to the Safety team has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I actually don't know about the company issue. I just think that if Park Dong-hoon wants to start a company, the Chairman is the only solution who can help him.

It seems that EP15 Dong-hoon's lunch with the Chairman is the scene to tell the audience that "Park Dong-hoon still has the Chairman as his backer."

So I think a more reasonable direction for the plot is like this.

But I'm curious about one thing: although the 3-team is doing a safety inspection at Saman E&C, can't they do the design?

I didn't know about this, so I always thought that Park Dong-hoon's company was also a company that could design the building.

(Thanks for point out this nice insight. :partyblob:)

Hmmm... :rubchin:

It seems that Park Dong-hoon's ending is somewhat similar to MLN's Yeom Mi-jeong because they ended up doing a job that is not the one they most want to do in their heart.

(And they both like design. The only difference is that one is 3D while the other is 2D. LOL.)

-EDIT-

I probably know why scriptwriter Park Hae-young has to do this kind of setting.

The reason is that the value she wants to convey is something she can't be responsible for others, so she couldn't present it too ideally.

"If the environment is bad, leave your environment."

Of course, people always think this way, but they also fear that changing to a new environment will make them worse.

Maybe that's why the scriptwriter didn't let Park Dong-hoon and Yeom Mi-jeong continue to do what they love the most after changing their environment because that would be too ideal.

So such a set-up probably is a compromise that says, "Although there's a chance that you won't be able to do what you want to do the most, you may be able to live happier than before."

I'm guessing she may be trying to convey this, which is why the protagonists of both MM and MLN have this "after changing work environments, they end up not doing what they originally liked best" set-up. :rubchin:

• Like 1

Hmmm… :rubchin:

I wonder if Sang-hoon's " 'Come in for ramyeon' won’t mean anything else" is an irony of Ji-an's "I want to buy you something delicious."

yKY35LH5ISOCLzi28WTrwaIMlakJRY8TXxjn611- 

Jb40kgdJpku0fG84xNmAf3yDviD_6L6VY92lcnbX

Since Sang-hoon's words are often the opposite of those in the drama, I guess that the writer and director set up this dialogue to say that "Ji-an's 'I want to buy you something delicious' actually has something else."

The following is my personal point of view on the correspondence:

Ahjussi village → The drama My Mister

"Eating ramyeon" → "Eating and drinking (with Park Dong-hoon)"

-

Irony:

No women in Ahjussi village → There is a woman (Ji-an) in My Mister

" 'Come in for ramyeon' won’t mean anything else"

→ Ji-an's "I want to buy you something delicious" actually means anything else

Anyone who has been following Korean movies and dramas should know the phrase "Come in for ramyeon" in Korean society means " I want to sleep with you."

It seems to come from the Korean movie Springtime.

The hero and heroine of Springtime slept together after they ate ramyeon together.

(I did not watch the movie. I got the information from the Internet. If there is something wrong, welcome to correct me.)

So, why did the writer and director set this dialogue between the Park brothers?

I personally guess that they wanted to link "Eating ramyeon" with "Eating and drinking (with Park Dong-hoon)."

That is to say, Korean society has a suggestive phrase like "eat ramyeon," and My Mister also has a suggestive phrase like "eating and drinking (with Park Dong-hoon)" such an interesting counterpart.

(The only difference is that one is dirty, and the other is purer. :sweatingbullets: )

Such speculation seems reasonable because, in the original script, the dialogue of Ahjussi village between Sang-hoon and Ki-hoon actually appears after the first dinner of DongAn, as follows.

-

(Translated by Papago+DeepL):

EP1, S#53 - In front of the bar (night)

Dong-hoon and Ji-an come out of the bar. When Dong-hoon comes out with the card list in his wallet

JA: You just go home directly today.

DH: !

JA: ...

DH: ...

Ji-an, she's walking away. Sang-hoon and Ki-hoon, who are standing on one wall with troubled eyes. (I couldn't see Ji-an's face properly.) Sang-hoon seems to have been contacted and came out. Dong-hoon is going crazy.

SH: Sunglasses at night. Strong.

GH: Who is it?

DH: Go. (Looks like he's going to the company)

GH: Who is it?

DH: Just a company employee.

GH: Do you usually sit next to the company employee and drink? Just the two of you?

DH: I just said it. (I was going to go)

GH: Where are you going?

DH: I have to go into the company.

SH: Are you two going to see each other again at work? Are you two staying up all night?

DH: "Please go away!"

SH: This punk... You're screwed.

Dong-hoon, just go away step by step.

[Cut to]

Sang-hoon and Ki-hoon put their hands in their pockets and walked away.

SH: I'm going to build a village for Ahjussis in the future. I want to build a village where only Ahjussis can live like us.

KH: Kill the guy who escaped with a woman.

SH: Of course.

-

And the costumes of Sang-hoon and Ki-hoon are indeed the same in both scenes.

Spoiler

McrA2eQO-OvVihSMgx3VpQPLVnw5y3nhmn3t3M7s 

LU4E0fe-u2W68IKoOBmsveFWVe0wnAyWIP1BdVwV 

In other words, Sang-hoon would think of Ahjussi village because he saw Dong-hoon having dinner with Ji-an.

Therefore, what Sang-hoon said is definitely related to DongAn's dinner.

So "Eating ramyeon" and "Eating and drinking (with Park Dong-hoon)" should be linked to each other.

So now my point of view is as follows. ↓

Jb40kgdJpku0fG84xNmAf3yDviD_6L6VY92lcnbX

"I want to be with you, can I?"

BZiboZ_f-j8hK4IZkj32BL2UmluIHi2FltXSWRgL

"Of course."

SCLsfiFcbMGfbcg5LAFBEuYOrhwAY8EuBXlcAxiG

(I got a girlfriend~~ 。:.゚ヽ( * ´ ∀ ` )ノ゚.:。 )

-

:partyblob: Cattle’s murmur: 

(1) As for why Park Dong-hoon knew what Lee Ji-an meant, I think the scriptwriter and the director had already paved the way for this in the earlier plot.

When Kwang-il sent the USB flash drive to Dong-hoon, he only put a business card without any other notes.

PPoDAJQK4w3CWnanOXfmLPcU_Ik18gJiLqXcrJ89 

6FiYxKOjVn_NghSVoDEL77mK2PiJLLJNdZq_BuCS 

As I remember, Dong-hoon didn't know that Kwang-il had a wiretap file because Dong-hoon didn't know that Kwang-il threatened Jun-young.

Only someone who knew that Kwang-il threatened Jun-young would have known that Kwang-il had the wiretap file.

So logically, before Dong-hoon could take the wiretap file to the police, he must listen to the content and ensure they were wiretap files before he took them to the police.

And I think the scriptwriter and the director wanted Dong-hoon to get the wiretap file is to make him hear that his love secret like "eating and drinking means he like you" was already known by Ji-an.

In short, Ji-an heard Dong-hoon's "thank you" means Dong-hoon's confession directly from the wiretapping process, and then Dong-hoon heard his "eating and drinking means like you" already knew by Ji-an from the wiretap file.

So when they finally shook hands, both sides actually understood what they were saying to each other.

(2) Why the scriptwriter and director did not shoot the divorce out?

At first, I thought it was simply to avoid the backlash from Korean society.

But recently, I thought about the things mentioned above, so logically, if Park Dong-hoon finally agrees to go out with Lee Ji-an, it means he has already divorced, so there is no need to film the divorce.

In other words, the scriptwriter and the director did put the divorce element in the story (DongAn ended up dating), but at the same time, they avoided the backlash from the Korean society against Park Dong-hoon's divorce. (They probably thought that not many viewers could tell that "DongAn were already in a relationship in the end.")

• Blob 1