[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

On 10/26/2022 at 9:26 PM, YukawaCattle said:

But in the end, the advice they gave each other was not accepted by each other. In EP3, Sang-hoon says he will not divorce, and after EP6, Dong-hoon is still very nervous about his life.

But as we can see in EP11, Dong-hoon accepted Sang-won's advice very easily.

The above incidents show that Dong-hoon and Sang-won have similar values, while he and Sang-hoon are different. After all, in our daily lives, we listen to advice from people with similar values more often, I think.

Agree! Both Dong Hoon and Sang Hoon gave advices to eachother that both wanted to hear themselves. That's why neither of them took it to heart, because wasn't that suitable for them. We do this all the time without realising it, when a friend needs a word of advice or even comfort, we use our own experiences or mindset.

Also, in EP14, Sang-hoon also takes his name and Sang-won's name to make a pun joke. When Je-Cheol yelled Sang-won's name, Sang-hoon said, "Friend, I'm here, no need to yell," and Je-Cheol said he was calling Sang-won, not Sang-hoon. I think this conversation should be one of the hints, that is, "Sang-hoon is different from Sang-won in some way"(?)

At first, I thought that he acted like that to disguise it, so Jung Hee wouldn't hear/notice it. You know? But I don't know...

I just think about that Mr. Chairman said to Dong-hoon in EP15 that if he had told him about Jun-young earlier, he would have helped him deal with the matter. Then at Bong-ae's funeral, there was also a wreath from Mr. Chairman. So I guess if Dong-hoon wants Mr. Chairman to help Ji-an, Mr. Chairman will help.

Anyway, so Kang Yoon-hee's occupation as a lawyer is still important in MM.

Good observation!!

"Anyway, so Kang Yoon-hee's occupation as a lawyer is still important in MM." -> I guess! With her, we have a more interesting story, where the characters gets more involved into eachothers lives. Mr. Chairman would've killed this off lmao.

(I'm collecting this thing. LOL.)

I'm curious now! :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

So can that shot be considered a close-up of the hand?

I think it can be!! Maybe Kim Won Suk did this close up without Ji An grabing his coat because that's the only thing that he was able to do at the time.

In this case, I guess the director should design Dong-hoon to have some kind of follow-up reaction, such as tightening the force of the hug, or the expression will look more sad, something like that. Maybe such a feeling is what the director does not want or does not dare to want (?)

On 10/28/2022 at 3:57 AM, actionscript said:

I think it’s important that DH remain consistent in his being in restraint mode all throughout pre-time skip. So he gave in to JA’s second request for a hug, but he gave a relatively awkward and light hug. JA felt the restraint in DH, respected it, and reciprocated with a light hug as well.

All that to highlight the contrast in DH’s very, very tight grip on JA's hands in the last scene –– a not-so-subtle hint on how DH’s circumstances have changed post-time skip.

Dong Hoon made a sad face, he almost cried, his eyes were very teary.

Interesting... I think @actionscript is right, he needed to keep his consistency, that opposes to our very tight handshake at the end!

It's funny to think that from Dong Hoon's perspective is indeed to mantain our male protagonist a consistency. And I know that she couldn't grab his coat because she felt Dong Hoon's restraint, but I can picture/imagine her grabing his coat. That's something that she would have done if he accepted her first hug, for exemple.

So...maybe the last white mark left on Ji-an's hand shows up for the same reason?

Yes!! :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1): Althought it's for different reasons! The first two are driven by fear, the last one driven by happiness.

(Park Dong-hoon is really a K-drama male protagonist with unique behavior. There is no way to understand this mysterious man completely by applying the template of a normal K-drama male protagonist. 

He is indeed! :D

On 10/28/2022 at 5:31 AM, YukawaCattle said:

After all, Ji-an always adjusts her way of interacting with Dong-hoon according to Dong-hoon's feelings. An example of this was when Dong-hoon sat in a single seat on the bus in EP10, Ji-an immediately chose a double seat and kept her distance from Dong-hoon.

I'm skeptical about this one, because Ji An crossed some lines with Dong Hoon, like saying how much she liked him at the train, for exemple.

Maybe she plays along with him in certain situations, and some others, she just crosses the line.

--

Edit: "Althought it's for different reasons! The first two are driven by fear, the last one driven by happiness." -> I wrote that and then I saw that you guys have already discussed it lmao. If you want to ignore it, that's fine! 

Edited by dongans
  • Blob 2

On 10/29/2022 at 8:58 PM, YukawaCattle said:

o whether it's the subway incident or the forced kiss incident, all got me screaming

I can't agree more! Many scenes got me screaming as well! :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1)::1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1)::1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

At first, I was analysing, because I was fearful of being wrong lmao

But yes, the subway incident, the kiss, when Dong Hoon fought with Kang Il ((( I SCREAMED ))). So many hints!!

Edited by dongans
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, dongans said:

Dong Hoon made a sad face, he almost cried, his eyes were very teary.

Interesting... I think @actionscript is right, he needed to keep his consistency, that opposes to our very tight handshake at the end!

It's so interesting how the director focuses in on DH's faces and body language so often. As @actionscript says DH must be restrained pre-time skip in order to maintain his integrity, but his emotions and his feelings leak out all over the place, as someone else has put it :). He just can't help it. And the director makes sure to include those emotions and do close-ups of them.

On 10/30/2022 at 1:58 AM, YukawaCattle said:

So whether it's the subway incident or the forced kiss incident, all got me screaming 

15 minutes ago, dongans said:

But yes, the subway incident, the kiss, when Dong Hoon fought with Kang Il ((( I SCREAMED ))). So many hints!!

For me it was the fight with Kwang Il, too - I never thought reserved, conflict-avoiding Dong Hoon would ever be that strong and fierce! I thought DH would get trounced by Kwang Il and was amazed he actually came out on top.

I also loved the moments where he demanded JA buy him slippers again, when he walked away in slo-mo at the end of Episode 13 when he realized JA hadn't come in to work, and when he said, "Lee Ji-An, call me," at the end of Ep 14. Heart-pounding moments for sure.

• Blob 3

On 11/3/2022 at 12:06 PM, YukawaCattle said:

By the way, I notice that Dong-hoon and Ji-an like to talk to each other about their negative thoughts ("Fighting!" and "Let's be happy" are two exceptions), but they don't criticize each other for not being positive. They usually just listen quietly and try to understand why the other person thinks the way they do. In life, we may just need the company of such a person like this (?)

Yes! I personally think that Dong Hoon thinks of Ji An as his safe place, where he can talk about his darker thoughts without being judged by it. Family usually don't like to see their loved ones that sad so they kinda try to contradicts the person right away, showing a brighter side. And Ji An as you said, she just listens.

Funny to think that Another Oh Hae Young's ML tries to fix/liberate the FL, whereas in My Liberation Notes the FL asks to be fixed/liberated. Now My Mister, they both do that, but without declaring it. Like actions are better than words. :sweatingbullets: 

The first hug... If it really happened, I feel like the end of that scene would not be as simple as "Ji-an grabbed Dong-hoon's coat." After all, it was in front of Ji-an's house. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

LMAO!! they would...?  :popcornjackson:

If Dong-hoon didn't ask for the slippers back, I think Ji-an would not have crossed the line. That is, because Dong-hoon gave a signal to Ji-an, that's why Ji-an did so. If he hadn't given the signal, Ji-an wouldn't have crossed the line.

Oh nice!! I forgot the iconic scene "BUY ME ANOTHER PAIR OF SLIPPERS"  :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

By the way, I love the "meme" :D

I also like the moment when Dong-hoon fought with Kwang-il. But the reason may be different. I like to see a different Dong-hoon. I especially love the moment he returns to a normal state from his crazy state (In the final of the fight scene, I personally think Dong-hoon's close-up shows this moment).

For me was like a confirmation of something. :partyblob:

But was indeed nice to see a different side of him! My favorite Dong Hoon mad mode is when he screams at that bulding owner that humiliated Sang Hoon.

"Interior material. Brick. Concrete. Concrete! Concrete! Concrete! Did you break down the concrete wall? It helps the building withstand earthquakes. (...) A structural engineer. You ignorant bas***d. Didn't you watch Prison Break? MICHAEL SCOFIELD WAS A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER!" :evilelmo: 

Hwa, I have to say that I swooned. 

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

he esteemed Moderators tell me that apparently once you've reached a certain number of posts the reaction button will appear for you. I'm not sure how many posts would be the threshold, but let's find out! B)

Thank you @the_sweetroad! Guess I will have to keep writing it then :gangnamstyle:

Edited by dongans
  • Blob 2

On 10/4/2022 at 4:45 PM, KettleOn said:

I'm starting to read more about comedy and tragedy because of what Kim Won Seok said, that for him, My Mister is a comedy. I wanted to share with you all and maybe you guys have something to add or enlighten me in the process!

There is a possibility of: 
my mister -> comedy
Ki Hoon's script at the end -> romantic comedy

@YukawaCattle and @KettleOn? Also, I don't know much about it so... lol

• Blob 2

On 11/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, YukawaCattle said:

I guess if Dong-hoon told Yoon-hee about his negative thoughts, she would probably nag him and tell him to be more positive, as she did in EP6.

Indeed! Also, at that point, Yoon Hee was just so tired of him... I ask myself how they used to be before everything went wrong... If we think about My Liberation Notes, Mi Jeong and Gu, in order to feel liberated, they said good things about each other or they needed to say an "ugly" truth to wake the other up. I just think Yoon Hee and Dong Hoon coulnd't be that person to one another.

Both of them would probably say something that the other didn't want to hear.

I say so because Dong-hoon explained to Ji-an that he never wanted the bribe money. He said he just hesitated because he had never met such a thing.

It's curious, because he usually doesn't care what others think of him, especially at work. But with Ji An, he has this thing to always explain himself or his motives. When he said that they shouldn't meet anymore, because people would misinterpret.

I think this is why there is no "I love you" in this drama, but we can feel there is lots of love.

:please:

In fact, there is also "Lee Ji-an in EP10." :sweatingbullets:

This is pure goooooold!! LMAO!
Thank you @YukawaCattle :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

What do you mean by "confirmation of something"? I am curious about this.

For me, Dong Hoon crossed a fine line in this scene. Although he helped Ji An a little bit before, until that point, he wasn't putting himself at risk for a person that he barely knew. I think of Dong Hoon as a very private person, his closest colleagues or even his neighborhood friends don't know him that well. So the safest thing to do probably was to call the police or something, but he wanted to go there. For me was great deal for him to go fisical in order to pay Ji An's debts.

He leveled Ji An at the same level as his family (I don't even know if the monk is at the same level).
When Yoon Hee asked Dong Hoon if she was even in second place, I ask myself which place does Ji An occupy, for Yoon Hee to be demoted.

By the way, I am curious if Wentworth E. Miller III has ever watched MM.

LMAO if not, he should!!

A private place → A public place → His work place

Wow, love it! Each time becomes more personal for him! :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

Never notice this! Only thing that I noticed was that he starts to look more often at her desk lmao, searching for her endlessly. When she wasn't there, he would freak out :onfirex: "how dare she not be at my sight?"

And in these three times, Dong-hoon would still return to normal from his crazy state at the end. I guess he would return to normal because he realized something was wrong with him.

Everyone saying "IT LOOKS WEIRD" LMAO poor Dong Hoon! Can't control himself.

For example, in EP16, he was directly angry with the rude participants at the funeral without hesitation. He seems to have fully embraced his "crazy for Ji-an" state.

So true and I love that. :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1): I mean... if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

There are now 18 posts (Calculate).

let's analyze how many more I need :D

• Blob 2

8 hours ago, dongans said:

let's analyze how many more I need :D

I am so curious how many more you need! :lol:

Sorry so busy here I’m not able to engage as much, but I did want to respond to one thing. 

8 hours ago, dongans said:

For me, Dong Hoon crossed a fine line in this scene. Although he helped Ji An a little bit before, until that point, he wasn't putting himself at risk for a person that he barely knew. I think of Dong Hoon as a very private person, his closest colleagues or even his neighborhood friends don't know him that well. So the safest thing to do probably was to call the police or something, but he wanted to go there. For me was great deal for him to go fisical in order to pay Ji An's debts.

He leveled Ji An at the same level as his family (I don't even know if the monk is at the same level).
When Yoon Hee asked Dong Hoon if she was even in second place, I ask myself which place does Ji An occupy, for Yoon Hee to be demoted.

Totally agree! By Episode 9 JA already occupies a special place in DH’s heart even if he can’t identify that feeling yet. (He does hesitate on the steps, though, like “What the heck am I doing?”)

His action of going to beat up Kwang Il speaks louder than any words he’s (not) saying to her. 

And as far as what place JA ends up occupying, I love this GMS article: 

My Mister Locations: Ji An’s House, #1

:fullofhearts:

• Blob 2

On 11/12/2022 at 4:29 AM, YukawaCattle said:

On the web page of The Actor is Present, the classification of MM is written as romantic melodrama.

Oh I get it! And this site is the official one?!

I remember that we can read the information in the script book that Yoon-hee chose to marry Dong-hoon because she thought he was a good and kind person.

Yes, to me, both of them married because each wanted something from the other. And I also agree that Yoon Hee had some kind of illusion with him.

She saw that he was a hard working person, and she valued that. But she couldn't predict that he would put his mother and bothers at first, and also sacrifice him (and her in the process).

But I was actually curious about their dinamic inside their marriage, I have questions if the love between them was always in the picture or not.

Or if it was more like a <loveless but with complicity> marriage.

They were so hurt by each other, but it was because of love? or the complicity? I just can only picture complicity :sweatingbullets:

I think there is no worship between Dong-hoon and Yoon-hee. Their situation is just like Chang-hee and Ye-rin in MLN.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say, thank you :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

Also, as I recall, Chang Hee and Ye Rin tried to make it work at the end, but they failed.

By the way, if we see this type of couple in Park Hae-young's drama, we should be able to know right away that they will eventually break up (?)

It's a nice catch! Maybe this happened as well in Another Oh Hae Young with the male lead and his first love?

Me: Mr. Kim, because you are not Ji-an, Dong-hoon has no patience to explain to you in detail.

LMAO!! :D If poor Mr. Kim was Ji An, he would probably make some good ol' analogies and be talkative:fullofhearts:
I think that Park Hae Young's male leads behave like that with their female leads. To be talkative I mean.

if it were not for his brother, he might not have had the heroic impulse to stand up for someone

That's what I think!

Park Dong-hoon gradually subdues Lee Ji-an, but Lee Ji-an gradually unleashes Park Dong-hoon's wildness (?)

I like that! These are the things that each other mostly lacks.

Beautiful soul mate.

YES! I said family, but just under the intention to level her as a higher standard :sweatingbullets:

Soulmate is just perfect! Thanks  :partyblob:

After all, protecting Lee Ji-an is Park Dong-hoon's instinct.

IT IS! :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

• Blob 2

@the_sweetroad I was reading that article from GMS that you sent to me, and I was reading the comment section... I bumped into a comment that says about structures and I was hooked! :sweatingbullets: I want to ask you if GMS made an article about this or not, since I never saw it there.

Spoiler

comment.png

So I was looking into the 2nd topic, about this H CORE brand.

I also found the ad that this person was talking about (below).

Spoiler

spacer.pngspacer.png

This ad says (translated with papago):

"Now, check out H-CORE when you look at the house.

Did you only look at the interior, area, and accessibility when choosing a house? Now, we have to think about tomorrow's safety.

From now on, check the inside of the building to see if it's a house built with my own steel material that absorbs the shock of the earthquake and Hyundai Steel H-CORE."

I found an article that basically talks about Hyundai, and its premium construction steel brand.

"It is a step forward from the brand that was limited to some construction steel materials that can be applied to earthquake-resistant designs such as existing rebar and section steel.

Hyundai Steel put forward the slogan “Safety-embedded Steel, Safe H CORE” in the sense that the new H CORE is the highest quality steel material that can be selected most safely based on safety."

-- 

So, Dong Hoon was previously at his desk, and then he sees his new slippers, and with that he starts to worry. So, he gets up and goes towards the elevator, but stops halfway to call her, and that's the moment where the ad appears.

I know it can mean nothing... Because well, they need to make their obligatory ad. But I was thinking that they could probably put an obligatory ad, but also, utilize as a symbol of Dong Hoon's state of mind.

High quality steel material -> that is very resistent to earthquakes
Dong Hoon (as the building) is suffering from an impact -> Ji An's disappearance (earthquake)
So in order for him to resist -> He needs a good quality steel as the H-CORE ((lmaooo))

As it was said before, those structures that are made to prevent earthquakes indeed needs to be flexible, because during the earthquake the building needs incline so they make little right and left movements, in some extent of degree, to prevent from cracking and to collapse. I think that those times of earthquake for Dong Hoon demands him to flexible and to go with the flow... without that, he would break. He couldn't be that impulsive like he was with Kang Il. 

I don't know what I want from this lol. :1646639759_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1):

I'm just dropping this and if someone wants to continue, feel free to do it! :partyblob:

If someone wants to keep looking into it:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by dongans
  • Insightful 2

8 minutes ago, dongans said:

I was reading that article from GMS that you sent to me, and I was reading the comment section... I bumped into a comment that says about structures and I was hooked! :sweatingbullets: I want to ask if GMS made an article about this comment or not, since I never saw it there. 

Hi @dongans Are you talking about the comments regarding the Core posters? I don’t think there ever came to be any articles about that… but did you ever see this series of articles on Dong Hoon and his “rebuilding”? Here’s the first one: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/01/his-structural-cracks/

As an architect you might enjoy it! :wub:

• Blob 1

11 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

By the way, to me, Yeom Mi-jeong+Mr. Gu in MLN and Park Dong-hoon+Lee Ji-an in MM are equivalent. But Yeom Mi-jeong corresponds to Park Dong-hoon, while Mr. Gu corresponds to Lee Ji-an. 

It is distinguished by personality. Mr. Gu is as wild as Ji-an. Yeom Mi-jeong is the same as Park Dong-hoon who doesn't like to have conflicts with people. 

Interestingly, I remember that stray dogs symbolize Mr. Gu in MLN, and then I remember Lee Sun-kyun had described Ji-an as a stray cat in an interview. I guess Lee Sun-kyun will use "stray cat" to describe Ji-an because this is Ji-an's official character setting.

Yes to all of this! Mr Gu is street smart, a stranger who arrived out of nowhere, a hard worker, and a very private, silent person, just like Ji An. Yeom Mi Jeong is one of three siblings, introverted, dutiful, has a hard time speaking up for herself, and struggling at work, just like Dong Hoon. I really liked seeing the parallels when watching My Liberation Notes.

The slimy people at work were so easy to hate in both Saman E and C and at Mi Jeong's company.

And the stray dog/ stray cat thing...both Mi Jeong and Dong Hoon wanted to protect and care for their respective stray dog and cat :).

On 11/16/2022 at 10:53 PM, dongans said:

As it was said before, those structures that are made to prevent earthquakes indeed needs to be flexible, because during the earthquake the building needs incline so they make little right and left movements, in some extent of degree, to prevent from cracking and to collapse. I think that those times of earthquake for Dong Hoon demands him to flexible and to go with the flow... without that, he would break. He couldn't be that impulsive like he was with Kang Il.

Nice insight! You're right - Dong Hoon had to go with the flow and couldn't force bringing back Ji An into his orbit. He had to bear the weight (absorb the shocks) and be flexible, and wait. And when he did see her in Choon Dae's shack, he still had to be gentle with her. He came in hot with Kwang Il; he definitely couldn't come in hot with her, otherwise she would withdraw again like a stray cat.

• Awesome 1
  • Blob 2