[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@mylovelystar  Oh wow.  I think that scene with Lee Ji An's eyes filling with tears happened right after the camera focused on Dong Hoon smiling that big smile at her.  Remember the scene was cut and the next one showed them already outside by the bushes?  She was probably so happy and relieved that he was happy to see her, which made her realize that he made good on his promise that when they see each other again, he will smile warmly at her.  I wish they showed that.  It would have made for a very powerful reunion scene between them.  

Geez, I guess they really did go the extra mile to keep things from being too obvious about where JA-DH's relationship was headed.  Deliberately ambiguous to the very end. <_<

• Like 5

Ok so I was rewatching ep 10 and noticed something in the end .. how did I miss this before !!! Sorry for sounding like a broken record but at this point I am not even trying to move on. 

In the last 5 min or so Lsk goes to him home and climbs the lift but does not want to go in since he sees his wife car and maybe is in no mood to confront the wife. He walks to the regular bar where the divorces bar guy tells him about his divorce . First of all no clue how the bar guy knows about LSK wife affair because he says if he can endure a divorce so can Dong Hoon. He turns back and looks near the door as if hoping against hope that jian might come ... he specifically went to that bar so that he can bump into jian. And of course jian is standing outside waiting to go in but stops short when she sees the reporter guy. Even at the moment when his married life is in mess , he wants to find comfort by talking to jian. If this is not a clear hint then the director is definitely playing with us shippers !!! This right here is a SIGN that DH wants jian .. call me delusional but I am going to sleep on this fact!!!

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

23 minutes ago, t123han said:

Ok so I was rewatching ep 10 and noticed something in the end .. how did I miss this before !!! Sorry for sounding like a broken record but at this point I am not even trying to move on. 

In the last 5 min or so Lsk goes to him home and climbs the lift but does not want to go in since he sees his wife car and maybe is in no mood to confront the wife. He walks to the regular bar where the divorces bar guy tells him about his divorce . First of all no clue how the bar guy knows about LSK wife affair because he says if he can endure a divorce so can Dong Hoon. He turns back and looks near the door as if hoping against hope that jian might come ... he specifically went to that bar so that he can bump into jian. And of course jian is standing outside waiting to go in but stops short when she sees the reporter guy. Even at the moment when his married life is in mess , he wants to find comfort by talking to jian. If this is not a clear hint then the director is definitely playing with us shippers !!! This right here is a SIGN that DH wants jian .. call me delusional but I am going to sleep on this fact!!!

LOL, @t123han!  I am only halfway through episode 3 in my rewatch, so like you I am far from moving on.  I was the first one on this thread and I'll bet I will be the one closing the door after everyone leaves, and I don't mind.  So stay here awhile. :-)

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, t123han said:

I’ve been a silent reader since the beginning, but can’t stand not to reply this topic right here.. cause I’ve just finished rewatching ep 10 myself and this is exactly what I’ve been thinking too! And after that,  ji an confession’s actually hit dong hoon’s head , cause he’s the one who wanders around at night too.. looking for her at the bar, after this episode, we’ll see more of dong hoon searching around the neighbourhood try to catch a glimpse of ji an , and tension gets higher until the last episode, where they end ambigiously *sigh* , but overall we should know already what’s in dong hoon’s heart, it’s always been ji an 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, heilam said:

@justamom not sure if this new is real not not...seems like it was confirmed that the the screenplay is included with the director cut....see below photos posted in other sites:

https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/KoreaDrama/M.1528804594.A.575.html

Yes! YEAH!!! All scripts included!

and they are taking orders for DVD which is half the price of the blue ray version! Much more affordable! Anybody has any idea why???? They will make it if there are at least 500 orders.

It looks like they also extended the pre-order period for Korean fans till 24th June.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, justamom said:

Yes! YEAH!!! All scripts included!

and they are taking orders for DVD which is half the price of the blue ray version! Much more affordable! Anybody has any idea why???? They will make it if there are at least 500 orders.

It looks like they also extended the pre-order period for Korean fans till 24th June.

@justamom, could you post just the link to order this cheaper DVD?  Is it available for international purchase?  But no guarantee English sub is included, right?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, heilam said:

@justamom not sure if this new is real not not...seems like it was confirmed that the the screenplay is included with the director cut....see below photos posted in other sites:

https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/KoreaDrama/M.1528804594.A.575.html

@heilam  oh that's great news! Will the scripts be translated into English? Maybe if they get their minimum number of orders they will include English subs. That's what they said, right? In which case, I just might order now. I haven't placed my order yet because I didn't want to be frustrated with watching everything raw. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@justamom, could you post just the link to order this cheaper DVD?  Is it available for international purchase?  But no guarantee English sub is included, right?

No mention yet about subs. But now there is no excuse not to order because I just confirmed the Blu Ray and DVD specials are going to be exactly the same!!

The DVD Order site will be ready from 15/6.

I am super tempted to change my order from bluray to the DVD....but imagine hearing Dong Hoon's breathing in HD! that single tear rolling down the cheek in the darkened room! 

Is anyone else here familiar with the differences between bluray and DVD? I remember watching My Ahjussi from my HD TV in the hotel room in Seoul and it felt like I was watching a completely different show!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Finally!

I created a gif.  The part she mentioned: 

"To many of you who've let Ji-anie and Dong Hoonie immersed and made their characters alive.

I will be cheering on you for the rest of 2018, and the rest of the spring days.

Thank you so much!"

4dRsu2q.gif

Edit - longer gif

D8LbshR.gif

Edited by mylovelystar
1 more gif
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

A log of interesting dialogs / happenings:

+1 for each time it happens (in which episode, when / where / with whom it happens, what is said or {regarding what})

JA admits that she likes DH.

+1 (ep 8, to KI)
+1 (ep 10, to DH)

+1 (ep 12, to YH on the phone)
+2 (ep 12, to Saman's board of directors)
+1 (ep 16, at police station)

---
Someone else tells DH that JA likes him.

+1 (ep 13, one of the directors)
+2 (ep 14, JH, when she is alone with DH and at the party)

---
Someone else points out that DH likes JA.

+1 (ep 8, JY, {on DH eating and drinking with her})
+1 (ep 14, JY, "You two must really love each other a lot.")

---
{DH wants to pay in JA's stead}

+1 (ep 9, to KI, {JA's debt})
+1 (ep 16, to SH, {Halmeoni's funeral costs})

---
"Thanks." (DH to JA)

+1 (ep 2, on the subway, "Thanks [for throwing it away].")
+1 (ep 6, by the railway, "Thanks for hitting him.")
+1 (ep 7, over a meal, {DH makes an excuse to eat with her})
+1 (ep 13, in front of her house, {DH turns down her offer to hug him})
+1 (ep 13, in taxicab, {for her text})
+1 (ep 13, in their neighborhood, "Thanks for being by my side.")
+1 (ep 14, on the subway, "I became a director. Thanks.")
+4 (ep 15, at CD's place)

+1 (ep 16, at the cafe)

---
"Thanks." (JA to someone else)

+1 (ep 12, to DH and his neighborhood pals, {for walking her home})
+2 (ep 16, to DH at their regular bar, "Thank you for allowing me to reveal everything. Thank you for being so good to me.")
+1 (ep 16, to SH (and KH?), {while saying goodbye to SH and KH})

---
"Let's be happy."

+1 (ep 7, DH to JA)
+1 (ep 11, SW to DH)
+1 (ep 15, DH to himself)
+1 (ep 16, DH to JA)

---
"It's no big deal (아무것도 아니야 / 아니다 / 아니에요)".

+1 (ep 4, to KH, {SH's humiliation})
+2 (ep 4, to thug, {his family not knowing he got humiliated})
+1 (ep 6, with JA @ their regular bar, {YH's affair})
+3 (ep 10, to JA, {JA's past})
+1 (ep 10, to Section Chief Song, {Assistant Manager Kim's unrequited feelings})
+4 (ep 13, with KH & SH, {what Dad used to tell him and what he now tells himself})
+1 (ep 14, with SH, {JA's disappearance})
+2 (ep 15, to JA, {on revealing everything})

+2 (ep 11, SW to DH)

+1 (ep 13, JA to DH)

+1 (ep 7, YR to herself, {on failing})

---
{DH / YH opens window in their apartment} = stuffy marriage?

+1 (ep 6, YH, {after telling DH about bank interest rates})
+1 (ep 9, DH, {after cleaning apartment})
+1 (ep 13, YH, {after telling DH that KH knows about her affair})

---
{DH hits something / throws stuff out of anger} 

+1 (ep 7, at campfire site, {YH's affair})
+1 (ep 11, in own apartment, {YH's affair})
+1 (ep 11, apartment door, {YH's affair})

---
{DH hits someone}

+1 (ep 9, fistfight with KI, {JA and her debt})
+1 (ep 10, hits Assistant Manager Kim at the back of his head, {to get rid of his unrequited feelings})
+1 (ep 10, hits JA at the back of her head, {the truth is too much to take in})
+1 (ep 11, punches JY, {YH finds out he knows})
+2 (ep 13, slaps KH, {KH threatens to beat "that bastard" and "that bi*@# of a sister-in-law"})
+3 (ep 14, punches JY, {JA, the two of them being "sleazy"})

---
DH isn't good at reciprocating intimate feelings...

• DH says "Crazy bi*@# / bastard" when someone says Ily to him

+1 (ep 6, to Assistant Manager Kim)
+1 (ep 10, to JA)

• When someone initiates a hug with DH:

"Are you crazy?" - to SW, ep 11
Doesn't hug back - with SH, ep 14
Stands stiff - with Mom, ep 14

(The only time he hugs people back is during the announcement of the director selection results, with his team members)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

@h2ogirl YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!! That should be framed for posterity.

I think the brothers' have a complete lack of physical intimacy with each other as well, they always stand aloof, as though afraid to touch each other even though they deeply care for one another. I mean Yoora and Ki Hoon had this passionate reunion and all we got was an unreciprocated hug and a peck....

@sadiesmith My rewatch is going just as slow as you....just started episode 4

So I asked the Director's Cut team about the difference between the DVD and Blu Ray version

The DVD version is at 480p

The Blu Ray version is 1080p

That's the only difference. Can anyone explain why?? Since the price of blu ray has come down so much, nowadays it's just 10-20% more. But in this case it's double.

Anyway to prove their point they sent me this. DVD quality vs Blu Ray quality. So I don't regret :lol:

480.jpg_large

1080.jpg_large

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2018 at 8:31 PM, ccl82 said:

If we get a confession, I will soar to the high heavens.

If we get a kiss, I will die. 

90-min finale? What on earth is left to be told?? 

Man realises he loves woman. 

Man confesses to woman. 

THE END.

So I'm skimming past posts for content to put on our fan page and found this. In a way, we got almost everything here.

Confession?

"When you hurt because of me, I hurt too." "When you know someone, nothing they do matters. And I love...oops...know you."

Man realises he loves woman?

That for me was that breakdown in the living room. Realising how pathetic his life was, and how stupid he was to deny her importance in his life.

Man confesses to woman?

Ji An, are you comfortable now? And that handshake...

Kiss?

Well @ccl82 is still alive. :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

5 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

A log of interesting dialogs / happenings:

+1 for each time it happens (in which episode, when / where / with whom it happens, what is said or {regarding what})

{DH / YH opens window in their apartment} = stuffy marriage?

+1 (ep 6, YH, {after telling DH about bank interest rates})
+1 (ep 9, DH, {after cleaning apartment})
+1 (ep 13, YH, {after telling DH that KH knows about her affair})

@h2ogirl, excellent work as usual!!!  I don't remember the poster who pointed out that the Korean word for wind is the same as for affair.  So YH opening the window to let some wind into their stuffy apartment = YH bringing in affair into their stuffy marriage

{DH hits something / throws stuff out of anger} 

+1 (ep 7, at campfire site, {YH's affair})
+1 (ep 11, in own apartment, {YH's affair})
+1 (ep 11, apartment door, {YH's affair})

---
{DH hits someone}

+1 (ep 9, fistfight with KI, {JA and her debt})
+1 (ep 10, hits Assistant Manager Kim at the back of his head, {to get rid of his unrequited feelings})
+1 (ep 10, hits JA at the back of her head, {the truth is too much to take in})
+1 (ep 11, punches JY, {YH finds out he knows})
+2 (ep 13, slaps KH, {KH threatens to beat "that bastard" and "that bi*@# of a sister-in-law"})
+3 (ep 14, punches JY, {JA, the two of them being "sleazy"})

I just love that DH has some violence in him, that as stoic and meek he may seem on the outside, he really isn't someone to be messed around with.

DH isn't good at reciprocating intimate feelings...

• DH says "Crazy bi*@# / bastard" when someone says Ily to him

+1 (ep 6, to Assistant Manager Kim)
+1 (ep 10, to JA)

• When someone initiates a hug with DH:

"Are you crazy?" - to SW, ep 11
Doesn't hug back - with SH, ep 14
Stands stiff - with Mom, ep 14

(The only time he hugs people back is during the announcement of the director selection results, with his team members)

And this section is my favorite part as I find DH's allergy to physical affection endlessly amusing.  Now the part that he acted out of character hugging his subordinates back when they congratulated him, that could be explained by the actors not rehearsing that scene before shooting.  They got a little too caught up in the moment and LSK forgot that Park Dong Hoon NEVER hugs back. :D

Here's the part of the interview with Kim Min Seok (the youngest member of Dong Hoon's team 3) where he talked about that scene, translated by @rellea on page 218:

Q: There were controversies surrounding "My Mister", but it was a very touching, lingering drama. What kind of project is it to you?

A: My Mister is a warm drama. It is a mysterious drama that made my heart go numb and that I cried along to. There were times that happened while filming too, and I felt like I had really become a team member.

I liked the scene where DH becomes a director best. We didn't rehearse that scene, but I think the hugging, laughing, and yelling came out well in the drama. It felt like a high-ranking member of my team was really being promoted so I got excited and teary-eyed.

• Like 8

I just finished Episode 4 and after sobbing and laughing then sobbing again...I realised this:

Episode 1-2 were thrilling and exciting and made me think it was some kind of thriller/corporate mystery

But episode 4 was when the show sunk its claws into me. And I didn't even realise it then, because it was done so, so subtly through the use of wiretapping/flashbacks.

EPISODE 4 IS A STORY IN ITSELF: "Sang Hoon's Shame"

I just want to reconstruct how the writer did it, because she built up the tension and suspense so beautifully until that dramatic climax. 

Day 1

- The first signs of something wrong: The trail of puke that eventually leads Ki Hoon back to Yura. Something gross that grabs our attention. But Sang Hoon completely doesn't pay attention, appears to be on the brink of tears, then walks off?

- Sang Hoon buys his coffee. While the machine prepares his coffee, his shoulders quiver and his whole body starts to shake. His face crumbles and he gasps. Then he falls to a crouch where we assume he cries, shielded by the laundry gently swaying in the wind.

- Then we see Omma, plodding up the stairs of a remote hill. We don't know where she's going. She's weighed down (another symbol of bags as the weight we carry!!!)  by two handbags which appear extremely heavy despite their size.

- Scenes at the office between Ji An and Assistant Cheong....Ji An at the pharmacy. Then with Ki Beom. You haven't found anything on Park Dong Hoon? No? Why? 

- Then we see Dong Hoon climbing up the stairs (paralleling Omma) of the subway station. This is the first time we hear of Gyeon Deok, although we know nothing at this point, not even that Omma went to a temple. We get three sparse lines: Omma came here. Is she alright? She didn't say anything.

- The three brothers meet. Dong Hoon and Ki Hoon, one slightly less clueless than the other. Omma went to the temple. Contrast: Ki Hoon's furious reaction with Dong Hoon's calm exterior. Sang Hoon stumbles out of the washroom, eyes red and swollen. He says he has the flu but is eventually forced to spill the beans. Then he pretends he was crying because of the show. The scene of Sang Hoon, trying to restrain his sobs while staring at the television-->>Oscar winning performance for me. Sang Hoon stomps out, and the three brothers meet outside the bar where all is revealed.

- Flashback: Sang Hoon's shaming.

- Ki Hoon's reaction and outburst. Dong Hoon, restraining him with all his efforts. Ki-oon-ahh!! After Ki Hoon lets out a string of curse words and struggles, he's spent.

- Do Joon Yeon and Kang Yoon Hee. Yoon Hee talks about Dong Hoon's loneliness, and how that made her feel so lonely. But DJY is totally not listening.

- Yoon Hee gets home. Dong Hoon, frozen at the couch. Something is off and she notices it, but he doesn't answer her. 

Day 2

- Ji An collapses at work. Everyone can't understand, but Dong Hoon stares at her. He seems to get it, and he's worried.

- Omma at the temple again. We see Gyeon Deok for the first time. Everyone is fine? No, they're all not fine. She walks off, weighed down again by her two heavy bags even on flat ground.

- Ji An at the convenience store drinking a beer. Dong Hoon tells her to put some medicine if it hurts.

- He does the same funny thing: cigarette in mouth. This time, he doesn't even try to light it. Something strikes him, and he storms off. The cigarette, lighter and cigarette box, all go in the trash AGAIN. (cigarette = gives Dong Hoon courage to do violent things/let him express himself??)

Evening

- SH and KH pick up Omma on the way home from work, their faces all thoughtful and resigned/sad.

- The subway. For the FIRST TIME, Ji An starts listening in to Dong Hoon's life. Because she’s fed up Ki Beom can’t dig any dirt on him. So she decides to take things into her own hands. And it changes her completely. The same goes for us--we, the audience, are now being led into Dong Hoon's inner life.

We learn that on the first night, Dong Hoon soothed Ki Hoon like a child, like his father once did. "Go to sleep, it's no big deal." Ji An's face remains expressionless as she returns home, serves Halmoni persimmons. Even when she hears again his gentle words: "if it hurts put on some medicine."

- And then we're at the climax. The scene at the villa owner's office starts. The sound of Dong Hoon's quick steps up the staircase. Ji An's defenses are about to fall!

- "There are some things you can never do in front of family. I could kill you." -->>> this triggers Ji An's first memory. How she killed Kwang Il's father. Her tears start falling. The camera gives her privacy -- we see her silhouette, her back against the light.

- The villa owner arrives at Omma's with the persimmon basket and apologises.

- The Hammer makes its appearance. Structural engineers the world round get a stab of adrenaline in the arm. Now we're into the real climax. Dong Hoon lets go completely! We hear him use the word "Bxxxxxx"! And he starts hacking things apart!"

- After the climax. Dong Hoon. Quick, shallow breaths. The weight of what he has done. His energy spent. He buckles to the ground. In the background, Christmas lights. Ji An's face as she hears him breathing is softer than we've seen the whole show-->>this is the effect Dong Hoon's actions have had on her

- The denouement starts: Jeong Hee is back! This is  the first time we meet Jeong Hee. When we heard of Thailand, how many of us thought of shady things? Maybe she was involved with ..? (later we hear about her and Gyeon Deok, and understand the connection). Some of us even thought then that perhaps she was a love rival.

- Dong Hoon smiles as he enters -- one of the first times we've seen him smile so widely. But when he sits down, alone, the smile fades. We realise the smile is only for his brothers. He goes to see Jeong Hee - they share an intimacy which he hasn't shown with anyone else yet, something even closer than with his wife. They are initimate --- but she isn't the one who has his heart.

- The one who has his heart, as he later reveals while talking to Ki Hoon, is "the one who knows me."

- "There's someone who knows me. And I think I know a lot about her too" >>> mirrors confession in episode 15

- "Are you happy? I'm sad. Because she knows me."

- Ji An breathes, long and deep. >>She is no longer the same Ji An

- END

And with that, the seeds of Dong Hoon and Ji An's beautiful but unusual relationship have been sown.

As I wrote this recap I realised this was like a complete short story, in the last thirty minutes of episode 4 alone. The mysterious beginnings, the inciting incident, the build up to the climax, the climax, then the denouement. AMAZING!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@h2ogirl, excellent work as usual!!!  I don't remember the poster who pointed out that the Korean word for wind is the same as for affair.  So YH opening the window to let some wind into their stuffy apartment = YH bringing in affair into their stuffy marriage

I just love that DH has some violence in him, that as stoic and meek he may seem on the outside, he really isn't someone to be messed around with.

And this section is my favorite part as I find DH's allergy to physical affection endlessly amusing.  Now the part that he acted out of character hugging his subordinates back when they congratulated him, that could be explained by the actors not rehearsing that scene before shooting.  They got a little too caught up in the moment and LSK forgot that Park Dong Hoon NEVER hugs back. :D

Here's the part of the interview with Kim Min Seok (the youngest member of Dong Hoon's team 3) where he talked about that scene, translated by @rellea on page 218:

Q: There were controversies surrounding "My Mister", but it was a very touching, lingering drama. What kind of project is it to you?

A: My Mister is a warm drama. It is a mysterious drama that made my heart go numb and that I cried along to. There were times that happened while filming too, and I felt like I had really become a team member.

I liked the scene where DH becomes a director best. We didn't rehearse that scene, but I think the hugging, laughing, and yelling came out well in the drama. It felt like a high-ranking member of my team was really being promoted so I got excited and teary-eyed.

@sadiesmith  the fact that the scene of Dong Hoon's promotion announcement was not rehearsed made it all the more real and heartfelt. And even if LSK "forgot" that Dong Hoon isn't the touchy-freely kind of guy, it still came out authentic because he looked genuinely overwhelmed and embarrassed by all the attention. Plus, I noticed that LSK has given Dong Hoon's character nuances like how he touches his forehead when he's embarrassed and how he kind of smiles this little smile.  He did that in this scene and also during the karaoke scene at Jung Hee's bar when they were praising his singing skill.  

That is one of the most heartwarming scenes in this drama and one of those moments when you see how much the people around Dong Hoon love and support him. And if what Kim Min Seok said is any indication, then his fellow actors feel the same way for LSK. That's so sweet! :)

• Like 8

Let’s talk about hug scene, shall we ?? Rewatching the scenes keeping in mind what kind of person Dong Hoon is gives a whole new meaning to everything he does . I was first annoyed on why Jung Hee had to be there during the hug scenes , thinking that maybe dh would have hugged jian more passionately in her a absence.

But now on rewatching, the mere fact that Dh hugged jian in presence of a third person just goes on to show how much his affection has grown. Remember this is dh we are talking about , he was embarrassed to have food with her thinking what people will think. But now he doesn’t mind hugging her in front of someone else knowing how exactly it will look to that person.

the hug itself was so full of emotions . Although less passionate than what we shippers wanted, but nevertheless high on feels. It looked like he was about to burst any second and was trying so hard to hold his tears. 

And just like slippers which he first refused to wear and later wore it acknowledging her love , the hug too signifies dh finally coming in terms with his affection for jian.

the only sore point in my eyes is why did he have to call his wife soon after ... ?? Was he guilty that he was swaying and just wanted to hold on to his family man responsibility for some more time or was it that he was finally ready to move on from jian.

I feel the director has very cunningly created scenes in such a way that both shippers and non shippers are satisfied. They give us the hug and then call to his wife keeping both side of arguments valid.

if not for the controversy I am sure there would have been a kiss/peck scene somewhere . Oh my heart !!! Stay still. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Plus, I noticed that LSK has given Dong Hoon's character nuances like how he touches his forehead when he's embarrassed and how he kind of smiles this little smile.  He did that in this scene and also during the karaoke scene at Jung Hee's bar when they were praising his singing skill.  

There is a DC Gall Inside post on this... Dong Hoon's shy smiles. He does it a lot when he's awkward. Or embarrassed. And doesn't want to confront his real feelings.

He does it a lot especially with Ji An towards the end of the show.

I need to find that post...I might have posted it earlier...

• Like 8