[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

12 hours ago, ninaanin said:

PS: I have a crazy theory: I think that JH could be the ex-wife of the CEO :o.

@ninaaninSorry to cut your post. Maybe it is not so crazy of a theory because I thought of it too. It seems they all knew each other from the past, from college maybe and DH was their sunbae? I think that JH statement about knowing someone like KH once is about JY and not DH? The writer is giving us tidbits of clues to possibilities of past relationships. Perhaps will be clarification soon. It will also explain the source of anonymity between DH and JY?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I love what you wrote.  Interesting that you bought up the monk... DH's mom also visited him early.  In episode 6, the brothers were talking about the misery they had in this life, how they want to leave it and go to the next to reboot.  DH mentioned how they should address and take care of the problems here instead of carrying it over to the next and be burdens for someone else.  It brought me back to the monk.  The idea of casting your weight, sins, before reaching enlightment to enter monkhood/priesthood.  It parallels DH's opinion. Maybe this is why he is steadfast in helping others, that he has to absolve other people's problems, it's his responsibility for a better life for him/his family in the next.  I don't know, I just thought about the monk when the brothers talked.  The weight and sacrifices, the will to do the right thing, for DH is a responsibility to help others who cannot fight for themselves.

I agree. It may be that the personality of DH is influenced by the teachings of the temple, that he takes those teachings seriously as you wrote his stand on the taking care of what is facing one in the present moment because it will just repeat itself over and over in this life and the next. When he texted his friend the monk about how he felt weighed down by life, the monk answered with "every moment you move with your body weight of 120 geum (kg?). Very simple yet profound statement. We as humans from creation through evolution are influenced by our complex emotions, thoughts, sensations, beliefs, values and habits which colors how we interpret our reality and the present moment. That simple statement was said to bring DH back to reality.... you are not carrying the weight of the world you are just your weight. It may not seem comforting but for someone who has been schooled in the teachings of the temple like DH, that was enough. Another incident was when he fell on the ground along the train tracks and stayed there until he remembered he was not wearing an expensive underwear, it was not time for him to die. It is such an innocuous thought yet it brought him to his senses like hearing the sudden shattering of glass or being wakened with the splash of ice cold water. Let us see how steadfast his responses will be, now that he found out about his wife's affair with his boss and when he realizes JA was a partner in trying to bring him down. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I can't wait to see this story, or something like it, play out.  I found Yura both frustrating and adorable.

The other question is the oldest brother Park Sang Hoon.  I am sure the production team did not convince Oh Dal Su, a huge movie actor pre-scandal, to join this drama without offering him something substantial for his character.  So far he has not been fully fleshed out and I can't tell where we are headed.  But there must be something big coming, right?

@sadiesmith  When I watched ep 1, the oldest brother telling the youngest one about movie he should make but the scenarios he's telling  is about his life story. I immediately thought, oh  at the end of this drama, we'll probably see a film done by youngest, adapted from the life story of the oldest or of the three brothers.

Each of these characters in the drama has very depressing  arc story. I'm already thinking way ahead but  for the last Ep for this I want to see  the three brothers enjoying life and achieving their goals. And for JA DH, to be happy that it's okay to rely on someone's help and comfort. It's a simple as that. For DH, so filial, so dutiful, loving brother and son. He always thinks of his family so it's about time he does something good for himself.

I do have question for all here,  does Gwang Il have something like obsessive  hold on to JA? Is it just the debt or something more?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, jongski said:

I do have question for all here,  does Gwang Il have something like obsessive  hold on to JA? Is it just the debt or something more?

Ji An stabbed his father to death when he was beating her grandma. He hates her for that and wants to make her life as miserable as he can. But I suspect he’s also attracted to her or just feels something that he shouldn’t feel, that’s why he’s even more furious because he’s confused about why he’s feeling like this.

Jang Ki Yong plays Kwang Il really well, for such a limited screen time he leaves a great impression on me. Can’t wait to see him in his first leading role!

• Like 9

15 hours ago, hushhh said:

One of the reasons I'm hoping that we have a alternate version of satisfying adult connection other than romance is because research shows expecting your spouse to be the be all and end all in your life is unrealistic and put unnecessary stress on the marriage.  Also that view is being perpetuated in the media that rarely exalts friendship, especially between women.

When Did Marriage Become So Hard?

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/12/584531641/when-did-marriage-become-so-hard

Thank you for the post. I agree that marriage is hard, takes a lot of work, and sometimes even if you put in all the effort it still may not end in your favor anyway.  In terms of YH, she is a despicable character in the beginning. But as you see more layers in the last episodes, I started to empathize with her dilemma. I am sure DH and YH were in love at one point. It is just that people change as they aged and couples grew apart because of that reason. The problem with YH is that she has a false expectation that her husband can be the only source of her self-fulfillment and happiness. That's why she demands to be the sole focus of DH's attention which is impossible especially in Korean society. Marriage is not the be-all and end-all of everything. How can someone make you a 100% happy? Those expectations are so high that it is putting so much pressure on her husband. She also needs to contribute on her own self-fulfillment and not rely solely on a man to do it. Unfortunately, YH started an affair with another man for her to feel happy and self fulfilled. She will end up again on the same boat especially with the realization that she will have to share JYD with his ambition and greed for advancement. 

I agree with the posts here that DH will not divorce YH. It is not in his nature. He is the type that will choose to be stuck in a marriage like a dead rock. YH will be the one to divorce him even without JDY to restore her own self respect, find her center, and work on finding her inner happiness. 

• Like 7

I wonder about the close-ish neighborhood where Ji An and Do Hoon with his  brothers live. They can all walk to each other's houses, right? Then, there is Jung Hee's bar, also within walking distance. Did I mention Yoo Ra, a.k.a.Dorky Actress? Why does only Do Hoon seem to know Ji An? And that from his workplace, not from the shop they both go to?

My crazy theory of the day: Jung Hee is connected to Ji An, somehow.

• Like 6

It 

19 minutes ago, Sakari said:

I wonder about the close-ish neighborhood where Ji An and Do Hoon with his  brothers live. They can all walk to each other's houses, right? Then, there is Jung Hee's bar, also within walking distance. Did I mention Yoo Ra, a.k.a.Dorky Actress? Why does only Do Hoon seem to know Ji An? And that from his workplace, not from the shop they both go to?

Well DH works with JA, so it makes sense if only he knows her.  I think only Ji An and Dong Hoon live in the same neighborhood, and the bar might be in that neighborhood because they ran into her as they were walking out of the bar.  In episode 6, DH called his wife about visiting his mom to get food, and YH told him to just take the car or something like that, which tells me the mom's house in a distance away. Actress also lives elsewhere.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

It 

Well DH works with JA, so it makes sense if only he knows her.  I think only Ji An and Dong Hoon live in the same neighborhood, and the bar might be in that neighborhood because they ran into her as they were walking out of the bar.  In episode 6, DH called his wife about visiting his mom to get food, and YH told him to just take the car or something like that, which tells me the mom's house in a distance away. Actress also lives elsewhere.

But Dong Hoon and his brothers clearly belong to the neighborhood gang that gathers at Jung Hee's bar. And that gang includes the owner of the cleaning firm, which means the cleaning firm is also in the neighborhood. Then again, the cleaning firm is very small and must operate in a small area, that is, the same neighborhood. Which is where Dorky Actress lives. The brothers do drive around in the tiny van when cleaning, but that's because they have stuff and equipment to move around. The same goes for Do Hoon who gets some stew from his mother's, and would rather not carry it, walking.

At least, this is my impression about the neighborhood.

• Like 7

As a former New Yorker, I would say if you share the same train station it increases the likelihood that you live in the same neighborhood. 

JiAn and DongHoon use the same train station and walk off after getting off the train. 

They also seem to shop at the same convenience store or at least pass it on the way home.

When she told him she lived behind an elementary school he knew where she was talking about. [That location might be notorious.  

The neighborhoods might be adjacent.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Sakari said:

But Dong Hoon and his brothers clearly belong to the neighborhood gang that gathers at Jung Hee's bar. And that gang includes the owner of the cleaning firm, which means the cleaning firm is also in the neighborhood. Then again, the cleaning firm is very small and must operate in a small area, that is, the same neighborhood. Which is where Dorky Actress lives. The brothers do drive around in the tiny van when cleaning, but that's because they have stuff and equipment to move around. The same goes for Do Hoon who gets some stew from his mother's, and would rather not carry it, walking.

At least, this is my impression about the neighborhood.

I see your point.  At one time DH even mentioned that they lived in the same neighborhood.  So it's only logical to draw the same conclusion; it's just that dramas more often do things because it's convenient rather than logical.  :D  Still, even if they all live in the same neighborhood, Seoul is a huge city and not everyone would know everyone else within the same neighborhood.  If you take into account Ji An's economic status, and her being essentially still a kid in their eyes, it's no stretch of imagination to think that these men don't notice her, even if they run into her from time to time.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Sakari said:

Ji An moves around a lot to keep one step ahead of the lone sharks and because of her other debts - like the nursing home. At one point Gwang Il discusses this with the other loan shark.  And it is why DH couldn't figure out what her address is, because  she has no formal address.   She has only recently moved to DH's  neighborhood I think, but it is possible she has moved to different apartments in the same area.  Also she is always working all kinds of jobs and hours, she doesn't know anyone local. But Dh did see her in the grocery store. But I think that was recently that she shops there, she isn't a "homey" in the "hood", she is transient.

@timidjock0819 wrote:

gree. In my culture, meal sharing is something personal that you share with someone close. Jian likes to eat alone in the dark except when she insisted on having meals with DH.  If she only likes to find out about him, she could just have bugged his phone and not share a meal.  Those little quirks that the PD is adding into the scene are interesting like the fruit persimmons and its meaning in the story. 

I think Ji An had been eating that restaurant leftover food and just some powdered kind of energy drink (not sure what it is ) at home.  I don't  think its because she liked it, she is in huge debt and living in the shadows, trying to care for grandma. So he wanted to eat real food, good food. She tells him to take her somewhere "expensive" at one point. And don't think it was like sharing a meal, she kind of wolfed down the food and just ignored him or threatened him about the bribe money at the time and yes to get the dope on his background I think to manipulate him. Finally he got sick of it and told her to just do her worst. 

• Like 9

So looking at the dynamic between the actress and director brother, and the paraphrased quote “She destroyed his career” made me think if maybe this was alluding to when DH either discovers truth about JAs actions like having actually stolen bribe money from him, working for JY, bugging his phone, etc etc and even being fired as a direct result of her. The director and actress forgiving each other, building this pseudo-friendship, is maybe what will serve as an example or even basis for the younger brother when he consoles DH and possibly supports the idea of DH sympathesizing and empathetizing with JA.

just one thought I wanted to put out there’s. That the past relationship of the director and actress will be what the future relationship of JA and DH (destroying each others careers?)

so I am mad that the lead actors friend posted spoilers about there not being romance in the next 10 episodes. I am kinda jealous he got to find out the spoilers though, like jeez get me some actor and actress friends I can read lines with of upcoming kdramas so I can get me some spoilers too. But yeah thank you spoiley chingu for letting me know that next four eps I won’t see any romance between them (I am fearfully hiding in the shipper shadows cheering these two to be end game!)

But yes, maybe the younger bro and this actress will end up together. And so will our leads. I am curious if that bar noons was referring to DH or his hyung as the one she felt similiar feelings to like the actress did. I would love if it were the hyung so she ends up with him and voila we have our three couples.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, philosophie said:

So looking at the dynamic between the actress and director brother, and the paraphrased quote “She destroyed his career” made me think if maybe this was alluding to when DH either discovers truth about JAs actions like having actually stolen bribe money from him, working for JY, bugging his phone, etc etc and even being fired as a direct result of her. The director and actress forgiving each other, building this pseudo-friendship, is maybe what will serve as an example or even basis for the younger brother when he consoles DH and possibly supports the idea of DH sympathesizing and empathetizing with JA.

just one thought I wanted to put out there’s. That the past relationship of the director and actress will be what the future relationship of JA and DH (destroying each others careers?)

so I am mad that the lead actors friend posted spoilers about there not being romance in the next 10 episodes. I am kinda jealous he got to find out the spoilers though, like jeez get me some actor and actress friends I can read lines with of upcoming kdramas so I can get me some spoilers too. But yeah thank you spoiley chingu for letting me know that next four eps I won’t see any romance between them (I am fearfully hiding in the shipper shadows cheering these two to be end game!)

But yes, maybe the younger bro and this actress will end up together. And so will our leads. I am curious if that bar noons was referring to DH or his hyung as the one she felt similiar feelings to like the actress did. I would love if it were the hyung so she ends up with him and voila we have our three couples.

I don't think the writer is setting up a parallel dynamic between the couples.  Because she was a bad actress, but still that might not have been the only reason the film was a dud.  Some films just don't "work".   My only concern with the actress is that she is a mental case.  She is kind of delusional if she felt good that the director became a failure in life because it vindicated her. That is not a mentally healthy attitude.  If someone was cruel to her, I suppose she could personally feel "goody goody " but it seems like even if he was harsh directing her, he still gave her a chance in a film.   Also, she is depressed, and vomiting in front of her apartment. That is a sign of real problems.  So as far as the younger brother getting together with her and picking up on a romance, it may happen but it will not be happy go lucky romance.  Nothing in this drama comes without a burden, a big price. Perhaps in that regard, there is a similarity between them all.

• Like 10

The scene where Ji An is running to DH thinking that he might jump off the bridge, did anyone else hear two different breaths?  At first I thought I was the only one hearing a woman's breath in addition to Dong Hoon's because no one made any comments on it.  But then someone on episode 5 of Dramabeans recap asked what it was, so I am not the only one wondering.  Any thoughts?  

IMG_0013

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

The scene where Ji An is running to DH thinking that he might jump off the bridge, did anyone else hear two different breaths?  At first I thought I was the only one hearing a woman's breath in addition to Dong Hoon's because no one made any comments on it.  But then someone on episode 5 of Dramabeans recap asked what it was, so I am not the only one wondering.  Any thoughts?  

I can only think about two things: 1. the director/writer one more time wants to stresses the connection (soulmates) between them; 2. breath can have the meaning of life, and this is true to the heart too, in making associations, we could make a parallel (analogy) between breath and heart, so: breaths which are connected, hearts which bit at the same compass. But don't mind me, I'm a bit delusional right now :) .

• Like 12

2 hours ago, ninaanin said:

I can only think about two things: 1. the director/writer one more time wants to stresses the connection (soulmates) between them; 2. breath can have the meaning of life, and this is true to the heart too, in making associations, we could make a parallel (analogy) between breath and heart, so: breaths which are connected, hearts which bit at the same compass. But don't mind me, I'm a bit delusional right now :) .

That's my take, too and I thought the merging of breaths/heartbeats is a nice touch.  They really want to drive home this notion of being thoroughly connected, don't they?  I have been wondering though if only people of opposite sex can be soulmates to each other.

• Like 8

Curently in love with the Song:blush: way to drag me to reality Jian is just character who played well by this Singer.

i  know  this actress but the kind of did notice her before, i watch dream high,the producer even randomly watching Scarlet heart non of them make me remember her. I listening her song when my daughter singing in bettwen her study still didn't get it. But after watching this drama i say "oh this girl from this and that drama ck..ck...so clueless,oh really she is genius singer and song writer ? aah this petit girl( little proud of her)

check wikipedia, searching her whereabout IU fix i like her song and her story...did i late to be her fans?

Thanks to potray Jian character Jien aaa...

Beyond believable in this drama her acting is flawless you either love her character or hate it,  one you can denied her character is so lively full of mischevious charm.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1