[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

47 minutes ago, justamom said:

I'm just reblogging this because I loved this piece so much. It's one of the reasons I love this show so much.

To me it was one of the fundamental problems in Dong Hoon and Yeon Hee's marriage.

She never felt one of Hugye, she wanted to leave the entire time they were married.

But Dong Hoon will never leave Hugye.

It feels almost like an imperial palace analogy. She felt she was trapped in the palace. But the king can never leave his palace. 

Either you marry into the neighbourhood, or you live there unhappily.

Which is why Yeon Hee finally left, and took flight.

It's to this show credit that we viewers understand Yoon Hee's misery even as we love to pieces Hugye and its people.  Even after showing us her huge betrayal of the hero of the story, her character is still given a sensitive treatment that at the end no one could really fault her for wanting something other than such a big extended family.  

The love between brothers and its extension to Hugye is as important to me as the relationship between Dong Hoon and Ji An.  Everywhere viewers have expressed how it would be hard to tolerate cheesy romance now that they have witness the special connection between our two kindred spirits.  I would say the same is true regarding brotherly love.  In the same vein, how can I sit through what used to pass as bromance with its usual ingredients of slapstick humor, meaningless banter, and maybe a tiny bit of compassion when we have seen these?

Ajusshi13-00396.jpg

Ajusshi10-00036.jpg

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

It's to this show credit that we viewers understand Yoon Hee's misery even as we love to pieces Hugye and its people.  Even after showing us her huge betrayal of the hero of the story, her character is still given a sensitive treatment that at the end no one could really fault her for wanting something other than such a big extended family.  

The love between brothers and its extension to Hugye is as important to me as the relationship between Dong Hoon and Ji An.  Everywhere viewers have expressed how it would be hard to tolerate cheesy romance now that they have witness the special connection between our two kindred spirits.  I would say the same is true regarding brotherly love.  How can I sit through what used to pass as bromance with its usual ingredients of slapstick humor and meaningless banter, when we have seen these?

My heart is bursting just seeing those images.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nhara said:

I like your reflections on the series. There are so many details, every time I see it I like it more and more. That's why I asked you to help me find something that I like in order to overcome the syndrome of abstinence that the end of this wonderful drama.

@nhara, maybe you didn't see my reply to your original question so here it is again:

To @nhara and @t123han and others who are looking for a new show to watch, may I make a drama recommendation that is a little bit unusual?  If you don't want cheesy story with the usual tropes, give Miss Korea a chance.  It is set in 1997, the year South Korea went through the IMF crisis.  It's a story of a bunch of underdogs trying to survive and a woman who is helping them.  It's a mature drama, and not cheesy in the least.  Moreover, because of its unique setting, there is this certain nostalgia about it.  The vibe is a little dark, but ultimately hopeful.  Don't expect the perfection that is My Ajusshi though, because that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, kappy said:

@nhara - I am like you and most everyone here...finding difficulty in moving on.  My Ahjussi is such a hard act to follow! The bar is set so high! Everything else pales in comparison.  But there are other worthy dramas out there, as I’m sure you know. You just have to fight your tendency to compare it with others, though, for a period of time - the “getting over” period.  And who knows how long that will be?

In the meanwhile, would you consider an “other Asian” drama?  I stray from Korean dramas when I get tired of the predictability, unbelievability, over-the-topness, and/or extreme behavior (like mothers hating on their adult child’s dating or marriage choices) that often play a big part in some of them.  Anyway, I would recommend “My Dear Boy,” a Taiwanese drama that tells the story of younger man and older woman (10 year difference) who fall in love but find opposition (surprise, surprise). It’s light with its serious moments. I enjoyed the acting and how they tackled the subject.

Speaking of age difference in a love story, I seem to be drawn to them...lately, anyhow.  I admit that was part of the draw for me about My Ahjussi. After watching the first episode, I knew it wasn’t going to be your typical age difference love story.  Why, I wasn’t even for sure it was going to be a love story even though it was touted as such. However, I knew it was a keeper. It was so obvious because it just radiated excellence.  

Anyway, when it comes to the age difference thing in a love story, I hardly bat an eye.  The reason for that is my parents were 18 years apart. They married when he was 36 and she was 18, so he was twice her age.  They were deeply in love, but as you would guess, they ran into difficulties because of the age disparity, and my dad was accused of “robbing the cradle.”  Thank goodness both families were okay with the marriage, and since those were the main ones that counted to my folks (besides each other), they took a “heck with the rest of them” attitude and lived their lives happily together, later adding six kids to the mix.

Now the age difference between Ji An and Dong Hoon is about 6 years greater than that of my parents, but it’s still not a big deal to me.  I was sad to hear about all the uproar regarding that age difference. And then, an apology by the drama people? Oh for crying out loud. I wish they could have just thought as my parents did...heck with them!  I know, easier said than done. As one or more of you have expressed, I do wonder if there were any changes made in final product, post uproar. Would we have gotten a kiss at the end? One where he is leaning in on her in contrast to her tippy-toeing up to him?  Like some of you, I really would like to see the script, especially if there was a before and after.

One more thing - I’ve said this before, but another reason I don’t think much on the age difference is because she’s had to grow up so fast because of her hard life, that it’s like she’s been an adult for a long while.  Sure, there are things that she didn’t know, like how her halmeoni could qualify for a permanent free stay at a care facility, and that’s understandable. As for him, on the other hand, seems like his stagnant life has kept him at the same stage - and age - for a while.  Which is why I think of them as equals and the perfect match.

I do understand you very well. I found that whole uproar about age gap amusing, but also a bit rude towards people in this kind of situation. As well as you, in my life, age gap is something "normal": my grandparents were 15 years apart, my grandmother married at 17 years old (back then it was legal and usual in my country!), and their love story is known in my family as the most beautiful and greatest love that ever happened between us. They had many children, two daughters married with a greater age gap: 22 and 18 years apart from their husband. I, myself, did follow my grandparents example. :wink: 

I agree that what makes their relationship right, it is the fact that they are both adults and mature; in many aspects JA did seem to be older than him, her soul was old, and this is why it didn't look out of place when she said she was 30 thousand years old. Their relationship was balanced – sometimes it was JA who learned from DH, sometimes it was DH who learned from JA; they understand and respect each other as a full person, and as equal, despite their differences in life (age, status, etc.).  And in part, this respectful and balanced relationship comes from JA’s attitude: she never accepted to be treated or considered as a not full adult, never accepted be treated by DH as a kid/child. She always put herself as a woman/adult in face of him. In a sense, I think JA considered DA as an innocent and naïve guy, who should be protected by her. They complement each other because DH was, let’s say, “humanistically” more mature than JA, and JA was “realistically” more mature than DA.

This is why I think that to say JA has a hero worship love towards DA is to infantilize and disempowered her, it is to downplay the depth of her character and everything she has battle for, including her independency and autonomy. JA didn’t find a hero in DH, she did find in him, for the first time, a real human being. And that is something so precious to her, that she has to protect him with her whole being. JA didn’t need a hero, but a real human being with his strengths, his fragilities and kindness; someone with who she can rest, share her hardships and learn how to live her humanity to the fully. From JA’s (adult) point of view, it is impossible not to be in love with DH, with him she not only can receive, she can also give. And to be able to give and to receive is to love deeply and fully.   

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, rellea said:

Someone brought up an interesting point about how in media, something red is often placed to represent the red string of fate (e.g. the red scarf from Goblin).

In My Ahjussi, persimmons took that role. Persimmons look more orange than red to me, but they're usually considered red in Korean culture (like how green traffic lights are called 'blue' even though they're clearly not).

Thanks for sharing this, won't the red ladybug at the very beginning be apt as well? :)  Because of the ladybug, we saw their first interaction. It was also the topic of their first conversation:

DH: Isn't it a bit too cruel to kill a ladybug? What's the worst thing that you've killed? 

JA: A person 

DH: Sorry for trying to make a small talk.

bug1.jpgbug2.jpg

I still LOL every time I watch this scene. :D Anyway, I googled ladybug and found out it's often associated with good luck. According to this site, "A ladybug (or ladybird) is believed to be an embodiment of Lady Luckbringing good fortune and prosperity along with it. As the insect leads a vibrant and colorful life, it influences you to experience the joys of living to the fullest."

In another site, "Ladybugs as a symbol of self-reliance: Although the ladybugs may be tiny creatures, they are well capable of protecting themselves from larger predators. When the ladybug is endangered it will release a ghastly scent which the predator will find so repulsive it will go elsewhere to find its next meal. After observing this kind of action, people have said that the ladybug is a good example and a symbol of self-reliance no matter how small a creature is." Very Ji-an.

And interestingly, in this website, "Ladybug symbolism in your dreams or in your midst: something magnificent deep within is waiting to be born through you, something that brings fulfillment and happiness to your soul." "Ladybug is also a powerful totem of healing, Ladybug speaks: healing energies surround you....release your worries and let healing energies flow." hmm sounds familiar. 

However, according to the very same website above, "Killing a ladybug is considered extremely bad luck. If you should be so unfortunate you killed a ladybug it is told you will be in the Virgin Mary’s Bad book for nine days. This is certainly not something to desire." :crazy: 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on, been meaning to post since I did my re-watch a week ago, I realized I better do it asap, before my withdrawal and attachment to this drama wane. (Definitely still not anytime soon tho :lol:)

So, as I was watching episode 10, I couldn’t help but notice this particular line from JA. This scene is from the latter part of episode 10, when JA met with DJY at a café. (Where later on that night, JA confessed to DH). DJY was asking JA: “What kind of manager repays a female employee’s debt or even takes care of her grandma?” Part of JA’s response was this: "And he's never called me, nor have we ever texted each other, so what relationship? It's not like we held hands or hugged.

image.jpg    image.jpg

image.jpg    image.jpg

image.jpg    image.jpg 

Poor DJY, always being burned by JA

We all know JA used to text DH (not that it was anything intimate) when she asked him to buy her food in the early episodes. DH also once called her phone, when she forgot to pick up the persimmons that fell from her cart

Going back to the episode 10 scene, it’s interesting how through the above statement from JA, the writer has already shown us a glimpse of what is to come in the succeeding episodes, and this time it's reciprocated: (another) text, (another) call, a hug, and holding of hands [why writer-nim, must you omit the kiss???]. What is even more interesting is that JA and DH took turns when it comes to initiating these means/points of contact. And before each of them would take action, they’d hesitate at first.

After episode 10, let’s recall what happened… (I added some of the vids so we can all relive the moments XD)

WHO TEXTED FIRST? JA in episode 13. Hesitated at first, eventually texted him. Got a reply in ep 14 when DH became director.

JA: Good luck with your interview tomorrow. It's no big deal.  

DH: I became a director. Thanks.

WHO CALLED FIRST? DH had the urge in ep 11, but called her many times only in ep 14 when she left. Got the chance to talk to her via the payphone call.  

In episode 11, the day after JA’s confession, DH was further stressed by the fact that JA took the slippers from his drawer. Moreover, he had to attend to the meeting where the anti-DJY directors asked him about JA.

DH went to JH’s bar afterwards. His hyung was talking, but DH was having none of it. DH suddenly had this weird look directed outside and eventually he went out. Pretending to be smoking, he was looking at both sides of the road obviously looking for signs of JA, and then he took out his phone but put it back his pocket. He looked at the other side of the road again, as if that would make JA appear.:huh:

Spoiler

dh1.jpg  dh2.jpg

dh3.jpg  dh4.jpg

dh5.jpg  dh6.jpgLol with this looks

dh7.jpg  dh8.jpg

dh9.jpg  dh10.jpg

dh12.jpg

WHO WANTED A HUG? JA asked for it in ep 13, got it in ep 16.

Start at 2:14. Loved the part where they're both teary-eyed after the hug and DH tells her to go twice, but she wouldn't budge, so he forces himself to leave.:dissapointed_relieved:

WHO WANTED TO HOLD HANDS? I think DH had the urge in ep 15, finally caved in in ep 16.

In episode 15, after they had that intense convo at CD’s place, DH was staring at her frail hands. Starts at around 1:26.

And this. I can never recover from that 30-second handshake/holding hands whatever. Starts at around 2:29 and ends at 3:01.

FOLLOWING THE SEQUENCE ABOVE, it's supposed to be JI-AN's turn. To ask. For a kiss. :wub::D.  After all, she’s the one who initiated it in as early as episode 3, though during that time, she didn’t really want to. I wonder how she’ll ask for it the next time. I’ll leave it to our fic writers XD  

--------------------------------------

Sorry for the long post (10x). Hope I made some sense:D

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

13 minutes ago, kerfuffle_95 said:

FOLLOWING THE SEQUENCE ABOVE, it's supposed to be JI-AN's turn. To ask. For a kiss. :wub::D.  After all, she’s the one who initiated it in as early as episode 3, though during that time, she didn’t really want to. I wonder how she’ll ask for it the next time. I’ll leave it to our fic writers XD  

OMG what is this??

Is this thread Television 101: How to dissect and reproduce a lifetime drama? It sure does feel like a literary analysis seminar, with all your stunning insights and detailed observations!

Watching those videos made me cry inside all over again.

(going back into fanfic cave, new chapter coming out soon)

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

54 minutes ago, kerfuffle_95 said:

Thanks for sharing this, won't the red ladybug at the very beginning be apt as well? :)  Because of the ladybug, we saw their first interaction. It was also the topic of their first conversation:

DH: Isn't it a bit too cruel to kill a ladybug? What's the worst thing that you've killed? 

JA: A person 

DH: Sorry for trying to make a small talk.

bug1.jpgbug2.jpg

I still LOL every time I watch this scene. :D Anyway, I googled ladybug and found out it's often associated with good luck. According to this site, "A ladybug (or ladybird) is believed to be an embodiment of Lady Luckbringing good fortune and prosperity along with it. As the insect leads a vibrant and colorful life, it influences you to experience the joys of living to the fullest."

In another site, "Ladybugs as a symbol of self-reliance: Although the ladybugs may be tiny creatures, they are well capable of protecting themselves from larger predators. When the ladybug is endangered it will release a ghastly scent which the predator will find so repulsive it will go elsewhere to find its next meal. After observing this kind of action, people have said that the ladybug is a good example and a symbol of self-reliance no matter how small a creature is." Very Ji-an.

And interestingly, in this website, "Ladybug symbolism in your dreams or in your midst: something magnificent deep within is waiting to be born through you, something that brings fulfillment and happiness to your soul." "Ladybug is also a powerful totem of healing, Ladybug speaks: healing energies surround you....release your worries and let healing energies flow." hmm sounds familiar. 

However, according to the very same website above, "Killing a ladybug is considered extremely bad luck. If you should be so unfortunate you killed a ladybug it is told you will be in the Virgin Mary’s Bad book for nine days. This is certainly not something to desire." :crazy: 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on, been meaning to post since I did my re-watch a week ago, I realized I better do it asap, before my withdrawal and attachment to this drama wane. (Definitely still not anytime soon tho :lol:)

So, as I was watching episode 10, I couldn’t help but notice this particular line from JA. This scene is from the latter part of episode 10, when JA met with DJY at a café. (Where later on that night, JA confessed to DH). DJY was asking JA: “What kind of manager repays a female employee’s debt or even takes care of her grandma?” Part of JA’s response was this: "And he's never called me, nor have we ever texted each other, so what relationship? It's not like we held hands or hugged.

image.jpg    image.jpg

image.jpg    image.jpg

image.jpg    image.jpg 

Poor DJY, always being burned by JA

We all know JA used to text DH (not that it was anything intimate) when she asked him to buy her food in the early episodes. DH also once called her phone, when she forgot to pick up the persimmons that fell from her cart

Going back to the episode 10 scene, it’s interesting how through the above statement from JA, the writer has already shown us a glimpse of what is to come in the succeeding episodes, and this time it's reciprocated: (another) text, (another) call, a hug, and holding of hands [why writer-nim, must you omit the kiss???]. What is even more interesting is that JA and DH took turns when it comes to initiating these means/points of contact. And before each of them would take action, they’d hesitate at first.

After episode 10, let’s recall what happened… (I added some of the vids so we can all relive the moments XD)

WHO TEXTED FIRST? JA in episode 13. Hesitated at first, eventually texted him. Got a reply in ep 14 when DH became director.

JA: Good luck with your interview tomorrow. It's no big deal.  

DH: I became a director. Thanks.

WHO CALLED FIRST? DH had the urge in ep 11, but called her many times only in ep 14 when she left. Got the chance to talk to her via the payphone call.  

In episode 11, the day after JA’s confession, DH was further stressed by the fact that JA took the slippers from his drawer. Moreover, he had to attend to the meeting where the anti-DJY directors asked him about JA.

DH went to JH’s bar afterwards. His hyung was talking, but DH was having none of it. DH suddenly had this weird look directed outside and eventually he went out. Pretending to be smoking, he was looking at both sides of the road obviously looking for signs of JA, and then he took out his phone but put it back his pocket. He looked at the other side of the road again, as if that would make JA appear.:huh:

Reveal hidden contents

dh1.jpg  dh2.jpg

dh3.jpg  dh4.jpg

dh5.jpg  dh6.jpgLol with this looks

dh7.jpg  dh8.jpg

dh9.jpg  dh10.jpg

dh12.jpg

WHO WANTED A HUG? JA asked for it in ep 13, got it in ep 16.

Start at 2:14. Loved the part where they're both teary-eyed after the hug and DH tells her to go twice, but she wouldn't budge, so he forces himself to leave.:dissapointed_relieved:

WHO WANTED TO HOLD HANDS? I think DH had the urge in ep 15, finally caved in in ep 16.

In episode 15, after they had that intense convo at CD’s place, DH was staring at her frail hands. Starts at around 1:26.

And this. I can never recover from that 30-second handshake/holding hands whatever. Starts at around 2:29 and ends at 3:01.

When dh held ji an hand , he dint just hold it ... he grasped it tightly . And when he left it his fingers were imprinted on her hands .. is this PD way of telling the viewers that this is as far as They can go( bc is stupid controversy).. just shy of showing a kiss scene. To me it looked like DH dint want to let go of her hand and wanted to hold it as though his life depended on it.

• Like 10

I want a Maxim ad to wrap up the whole thing. 

It's morning.

JA is making herself a cuppa. 

Suddenly we hear DH's voice: Can you make one for me too? 

Camera slowly reveals they're in DH's home. 

The end. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 14

Here's some screenshots from the movie "A special lady" since many of you couldn't view the clip :D LSK was so hot here, what an eye candy. He was in a good shape and probably the same during MA. Can you imagine our ahjussi DH having abs? ohhohohohooho

Spoiler

tumblr_p9eenu17iX1s1jr6fo5_1280.png

tumblr_p9eenu17iX1s1jr6fo6_1280.png

tumblr_p9eenu17iX1s1jr6fo4_1280.png

tumblr_p9eenu17iX1s1jr6fo1_1280.png

P.S. The movie itself is nothing special tho

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

2 hours ago, kerfuffle_95 said:

Last night, I re-watched the episode where DH beat up GI. 

As DH was going up the step, you could clearly see he was hesitating. DH also seems to hesitate right before his 'confession' to JA in episode 15.

As you pointed out, they hesitate before each key action. Makes me think, was there ever a point where they did not hesitate? What does that signify?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ninaanin said:

I do understand you very well. I found that whole uproar about age gap amusing, but also a bit rude towards people in this kind of situation. As well as you, in my life, age gap is something "normal": my grandparents were 15 years apart, my grandmother married at 17 years old (back then it was legal and usual in my country!), and their love story is known in my family as the most beautiful and greatest love that ever happened between us. They had many children, two daughters married with a greater age gap: 22 and 18 years apart from their husband. I, myself, did follow my grandparents example. :wink: 

I agree that what makes their relationship right, it is the fact that they are both adults and mature; in many aspects JA did seem to be older than him, her soul was old, and this is why it didn't look out of place when she said she was 30 thousand years old. Their relationship was balanced – sometimes it was JA who learned from DH, sometimes it was DH who learned from JA; they understand and respect each other as a full person, and as equal, despite their differences in life (age, status, etc.).  And in part, this respectful and balanced relationship comes from JA’s attitude: she never accepted to be treated or considered as a not full adult, never accepted be treated by DH as a kid/child. She always put herself as a woman/adult in face of him. In a sense, I think JA considered DA as an innocent and naïve guy, who should be protected by her. They complement each other because DH was, let’s say, “humanistically” more mature than JA, and JA was “realistically” more mature than DA.

This is why I think that to say JA has a hero worship love towards DA is to infantilize and disempowered her, it is to downplay the depth of her character and everything she has battle for, including her independency and autonomy. JA didn’t find a hero in DH, she did find in him, for the first time, a real human being. And that is something so precious to her, that she has to protect him with her whole being. JA didn’t need a hero, but a real human being with his strengths, his fragilities and kindness; someone with who she can rest, share her hardships and learn how to live her humanity to the fully. From JA’s (adult) point of view, it is impossible not to be in love with DH, with him she not only can receive, she can also give. And to be able to give and to receive is to love deeply and fully.   

This is so beautifully put.  You took the words right out of my mouth...or thoughts right out of my mind.  You know what I mean. Anyway, thank you for sharing this.

@tiger457_stv - Thanks for your thoughts as well.  You said:   It took courage for your parents to get together.... If their marriage had failed, there would be naysayers coming out of the woodwork "See, I told you so... you shouldn't, couldn't...etc....).  Fortunately it works out, so @kappy is able to write to us today!  THUMPS UP!

Yes...It worked out and I am a product of that successful pairing!  Wish we could see an epilogue of My Ahjussi and see them with their "products."

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

@kerfuffle_95 Great details and amazing insights! Can't believe you made that connection out of that mundane discussion! So the writer was actually leaving clues for us all along! I can't not see it as a romance drama now lol. Since the writer is giving us the definition of a relationship, calling back, texting each other, hugs and holding hands. So by the end of the show they definitely 'have' a relationship, a history don't they?

Also from watching your shared videos, and the final holding hand scene [not gonna call that a handshake anymore lol], is it only me who feels like Ji An was still lifeless after the timejump, that is until she saw dong hoon? I mean we see her doing her job well, teaching sign language classes but to me, it seems like even in those brief glimpses she doesn't look happy, spirited, as much as dong hoon does [We don't even see her face fully until she gets to meet him]. It's until he asks that question, 'Ji An, have you reached that comfort point?' And she meekly says 'yes' first but before the next yes, she seems to take a pause first, then the camera pans to dong hoon, and then she's assured that she has reached that comfort zone now that dong hoon is back in her life. So she smiles and says yes again. Hence the second yes is more affirmative, she's surer of herself.  I don't know maybe I am overimagining things for a while lol, but it could be that although Ji An has her own job now, ways to live a comfortable and dignified life, but the way she kept looking at him while they were talking, the usual talks were just something she was answering half-heartedly, and it seemed like she had nothing except one concern in mind. And the way she looks back does seem like he is still the only person she looks up to, the only person who still occupies her mind, that's why she stops while passing Saman's headquarters.

So I would say the new Ji An is still not complete without dong hoon in her life, and her gazes kind of gives away her feelings for him. But it's really a good thing that she has so much more to offer him now, she is on equal terms with him, [not necessarily in a materialistic perspective], which gives her a whole new level of confidence which wasn't there before. From stealing coffee sticks to having her own stable job, and coming for coffee on lunch breaks, she really has come a long way. And I think she needed that as well. But she still needs the soul with whom she can connect to the most, so maybe she is finally there because of her new life and 'because' of the reappearance of dong hoon in her life. At least I hope so..

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@sadiesmith Spotted a yellow light here, does this make any sense? :lol: Sorry if this has been shared already.

ZdTZc30.jpg

I did a quick search on lights, and not taking the whole of the meaning this caught my attention, and I am only sharing the part which resonated with me, 'flashing yellow light means proceed with caution through the intersection'. See how she stops before Saman headquarters but still decides to not contact dong hoon. I guess she is still getting mixed/no signals from dong hoon lol. 

And this is what the article had to say about green lights lol, 'When a steady green arrow appears, you may proceed in the direction of the arrow'. :D And from another site, Green traffic lights mean “go!” 'So funny, was the director having fun with the signals? Or are they trying to say this was not deliberate at all? 

• Like 14

On 5/27/2018 at 12:29 PM, nearsea said:

@sadiesmith Spotted a yellow light here, does this make any sense? :lol: Sorry if this has been shared already.

I did a quick search on lights, and not taking the whole of the meaning this caught my attention, and I am only sharing the part which resonated with me, 'flashing yellow light means proceed with caution through the intersection'. See how she stops before Saman headquarters but still decides to not contact dong hoon. I guess she is still getting mixed/no signals from dong hoon lol. 

And this is what the article had to say about green lights lol, 'When a steady green arrow appears, you may proceed in the direction of the arrow'. :D And from another site, Green traffic lights mean “go!” 'So funny, was the director having fun with the signals? Or are they trying to say this was not deliberate at all? 

Screaming!!!  You found the yellow light! I knew it must be there somewhere, but I haven't started my re-watch.  No way was it there by coincidence.  So you have answered your own question posted before this last comment.  Her face was obscured, she was proceeding in life tentatively, there was still a little bit of uncertainty, a little bit of sadness about her.  If we missed all that, the director gave us a yellow light to drive home the idea.  It was not until the green light flashed that we knew for sure both of them can GO forth in pursuing happiness.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I would’ve also seen the end as the start of them two together but looking back at the earlier posts (the presscon, dealing with controversies). They firmly stated that it isnt romance (even LSK’s friend said that to defend him because of people bashing him). I rewatched the last two episodes - still not over it!!! I really tried to see it without the romance bit and watched it for “what it is” but there’s just some scenes that don’t make sense if all whatever’s between them is just a platonic relationship. Especially with the way Jian looked at DH at the ending with so much longing and DH getting all excited. And ofcourse no need to mention that ‘handshake’. Im so conflicted! Haha. But whether or not they subtly meant for the ending to show that theyll be together romantically or not, it still doesn’t take away the fact that MA is an amazing story. It’s still a love story between Jian and DH, regardless of what kind of love that is. I wouldn’t call it fatherly love though, seeing that handshake and the way he was so giddy at the end.

I feel like people can’t really say he is fatherly towards her, non-shippers included. It’s lovely rewatching it again, catchig on things that youd have missed thhe first time. It also makes you wonder if how you understood each scenes at first is how theyre actually meant to be understood. 

And to follow up on the traffic lights, when Jian was shown walking up to Saman building, you can notice how the orange light went on a lot longer than it should. And also there was a car driving down her direction but at the next second, you could see a different car driving up the opposite direction of the road. I think this was deliberate

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Her face was obscured, she was proceeding in life tentatively, there is still a little bit of uncertainty, a little bit of sadness about her.

Couldn't have said it better! You summarized it quite well in one sentence. 

20 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

If we missed all that, the director gave us a yellow light to drive home the idea. 

Exactly! Respect to PD-nim for the tutorials. 

• Like 5