[Drama 2018] Live 살다

larus

2 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

I know, right, plus it's not the flat landscape she had before of they have this problem, but all problems look like this. She managed to put nuance into the problem quite a bit and say that how different people deal with it is OK, which is an upgrade from It's OK, it's love.

So she managed to put in how different victims react differently to trauma--which is good. That was one of my complaints about It's OK it's love. She had something like a magical number which made me grumble.

She also put in different perspectives, victim blaming, etc. So we got deeper into the character's choices over this is a trauma, hey look at the trauma type of feeling. It's more like how the trauma relates to the character now and how she's learned how to cope--for better or worse. And how that may be different for everyone.

Koreans use TV in a lot of ways for social justice... which I've always admired about my own culture. How one movie can change a landscape or a tide of opinion--say how the King and the Clown changed a lot of opinions on homosexuality. Media changes things in Korea, not because Koreans don't have individual information/opinions, but because the information is often not disseminated in other ways... so often the media in Korea tends to be far left of the government, which tends on the ultra conservative side.

BTW, people usually think of sex ed as things like how to have sex, but I think of it more as things like consent--what does that mean--which is important starting YOUNG. You can start the habit of it as a baby. Basics of biology... and sexuality--including LGBTQIA... and it should start younger too... Younger doesn't mean teach about sex, but teach about basics of things like, What's that called. What are slang terms for it. They started an aggressive sex ed in the Netherlands, IIRC, and the amount of sexual predators that got reported more quickly went up.

I also think of sex ed as bodily autonomy, understanding when it is and isn't your fault, what victim blaming looks like, what a healthy and unhealthy relationship looks like. Not all of that includes sex. It's basics of learning how to be a decent human being which sometimes gets neglected by parents... because as we saw, not all parents are decent human beings or rich.

In the US, at least there are some men that reach college and still don't understand if the woman is really drunk it's not OK to have sex with them. And frankly, that's a travesty. (Some women still don't get that it's not OK either, which is super sad... I've had a few women argue flat out with me that it's OK.)

It's interesting to read your take on Korean media/government and left/right. Also college educated  men too ignorant to understand that someone passed out drunk isn't saying yes to sex. 

Spoiler

This reminded me of the lyrics of the song "Drunk Girl":  The song says the difference between a boy and a man is that a man drives a drunk girl home, and lets her sleep alone. The songwriter said he wrote it after becoming a father.

I like a lot of things about this drama especially, as other people have mentioned,  YC's talk with his daughter about the importance of consent. 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you don't think they'll kill YC, do you? He's so beautiful.  Don't want anything bad to happen to his wife either. :angry:  I've thought of him as the hero, but wasn't thinking tragic hero.  I'm trying to remember what else this writer has written. Are we headed for heart break?   The one cop dying that horrible way was surely enough

With two episodes left, I'm so disappointed with how Noh has written JO and HR as characters. When the show first started, I had such high hopes for them as strong female characters, one cold-hearted but competent and the other cool-headed but caring. JO especially showed promise as an outstanding cop, even against her male peers.

Instead, for the past several episodes, both JO and HR have done nothing but hide and/or cry. HR's growth was pretty much neglected for most of the show, only being relevant to SB's own story and requiring SB's fatherly protection. JO is relegated to nothing but the counterpart to SS's love story, while SS as an individual has been slowly developing as a empathetic, passionate cop. At least MH helped JO's professional development by giving her on-site guidance and teaching her to cope with the stress of the profession. I wasn't expecting the romance part of this drama to ever get serious, and was actually hoping it wouldn't, but ever since the start of the love triangle/pairing, from ep 8-16, JO hasn't really developed much as a cop and during most of her scenes, she's just on the receiving end of SS's pity and care. Honestly, it feels like both female characters are the weakest links right now in the team, while the male cops go around solving everything. Even the capable, strong JM is served with a suspension and just goes around being a housewife right now. Moreover, the show is all about the bromances, while the women barely interact with each other, let alone rely on each other for support.

I really hope things turn around fast, unless Noh just wants this show to reflect the strong gender discrimination and the unequal status of women in Korea, instead of it being a story of women's empowerment. I have similar complaints with Pretty noona who buys me food, as that show is also supposedly about empowerment but then the main female character just realizes her worth and changes after she starts dating the guy...

@triplem  Re: YC's fate.  I thought I saw YC injured in the preview clip with blood coming out of his mouth.  Was watching raw though and I don't understand much Korean.  I hope if I did see that, he wasn't gravely injured.  Would be too cruel after the way he's apologized and reconnected in a deep loving way with his wife and family.

“Live” Brings In High Viewership Ratings With Its Portrayal Of The Emotions Police Must Overcome

Live1.jpg

Police drama “Live” has been touching hearts with its busy yet warm stories of the policemen of the Hongil Patrol Division. However, things took a more serious, saddening turn in the most recent episode.

The April 29 episode of tvN’s “Live” achieved average nationwide viewership ratings of 7 percent and peak viewership ratings at 7.9 percent. For viewers in their 20s to 40s, widely considered the target audience for programming, the episode achieved an average of 4.9 percent and a peak of 5.6 percent, which was the highest in its run yet. The episode also achieved first in its time slot.

The broadcast made viewers emotional with its depiction of the complicated emotions these police officers have to overcome in the name of duty. Even when nobody acknowledges their deeds, these officers still give it their all and dive headfirst into cases.

More https://www.soompi.com/2018/04/30/live-brings-high-viewership-ratings-portrayal-emotions-police-must-overcome/

28 minutes ago, Blizzardistkaputt said:

I have been re-playing the coming scenes for next week. The patrol division was seen standing in attention for a funeral......the deputy chief is missing from the line-up.....i hope it's not him lying horizontal......

...eek....pls dun kill any character....

I am hoping it's the funeral for the poor cop who was shot in the head

Cast And Crew Of “Live” To Set Off On Much-Deserved Reward Vacation

Live-XPN.jpg

The cast and crew of tvN’s “Live” will be going on an overseas trip in celebration of the weekend drama.

On May 1, a source from “Live” revealed, “They will be going to Bangkok, Thailand on May 9 for a reward vacation. The trip is planned for five days.” It has not yet been confirmed who will be going, but a majority of the cast and crew is a likely possibility.

“Live” has been earning praise for its matter-of-fact portrayal of police life as it explores the stories of and cases handled by officers of a patrol division. It will be coming to an end on May 6.

SOOMPI

The last couple of weeks in RL have just been insane... but I thought I was overdue in making an appearance here to give the show some moral support because it deserves far more love than it is getting. :wink: It's fast becoming one of my favourites as it fine-tunes its balancing act with every set of fresh episodes.  I always like my dramas to engage the heart, mind and soul... and this one does it in spades. It weaves a rich tapestry of themes and storylines while also never failing to take us on a journey with a dramatis personae that we've gradually come to know, like and even love. While I love the different storylines and the way they intersect, it's the multi-faceted characters that makes this drama a gem -- brilliant and fascinating.

After the last two episodes, I want OYC and AJM to reconcile. It's clear the show wants us to root for them because contrary to what we thought initially, they do have far more in common than producing two kids together. It's true that OYC is a work-in-progress but aren't we all? If everyone were to wait till they were "better" people to be in a relationship, then few of us would be. Also being in a relationship can also help us to build character. Unless violence is involved, there's a lot to be gained by working hard at a relationship and making it work. What helps in this situation is that OYC isn't as pigheaded as he seems. Certainly he has a terrible temper that needs to be managed but having witnessed men who withdraw emotionally from their loved ones, there's a part of me that thinks that this might be preferable. Neither extremes are helpful nor desirable obviously but to OYC's credit he is able to perceive his own flaws with the view to change. OYC's bad temper comes from his frustration with not being able to control situations and people around him... he's a control freak at heart... not necessarily from the need to dominate in order to prop up his own ego. Furthermore he's the son of a recovering alcoholic who has been able to break the cycle of violence.

A contrast to that is the abusive alcoholic who beats his wife and fails to protect his own daughters because he wants to show who's boss and takes advantage of his family's reliance on him for material support. His family is his punching bag for whatever issues he has with the world. He drinks too much obviously to numb whatever frustrations he has and then lashes out on his wife because she can't fight back or won't.

I was pleasantly surprised at how the love triangle ended with everyone's character and reputation intact. I've always maintained that HJO and CMH rushed into things especially when we discover later that they carry different kinds of emotional baggage. Neither of them entered into the relationship with the intention to hurt the other... it was purely opportunistic but because it was opportunistic, the foundations for something of substance weren't laid down in their proper time. It's clear that what JO needs first and foremost is a friend... a confidante... not a boyfriend. She's fortunate to have found men around her who care about her welfare and want to protect her which at the end of the day, is the most important part of her healing and growth. 

Isn't just like a bureaucratic organization for the top people to try and cover their backsides while letting one of their subordinates take the rap and sink? I should be shocked but I'm not. But JM's question is the 500 kg elephant in the room... why her? Because those men are too cowardly to put their own rear ends on the line. But apparently she's indispensable as a lowly detective.

Can't wait to see where all of this ends up... this show really has everything going for it and might end up being one of the best dramas this year.

Spoiler

I just saw episode 15 and 16 subbed.

i cried so much when chief revealed through raids that he had cancer. And his scenes in meeting room with trio. But so relieved to hear he has stage one and ts curable.

but then why e had the other officer shot in the head. I know he just appeared so he’s not a regular character but I just feel so bad for what these police officers have to go through. Is the law so unfair toward them? I hope JM gets her job back and even ask promotion, she deserves to be in the high power position that those cockroaches used to suspend her with.

I thought I should add my 2 cents about Episode 15 before I move on to watching the next. :wink:

What a blast! The investment made in this show has paid off dividends as the storyline reaches new heights each week. That first 20 minutes of Episode 15 had me in tears... the last time I sobbing uncontrollably like that in a K drama was Prison Playbook. It was some of the finest television out there.

Jang Mi's confrontation with her superiors was fantastic. She said everything that needed to be said. And it was glorious to see them squirming in their seats uncomfortably as they felt the sting of the truth of her words. I'm glad that she did get her say because those scumbags need to feel some measure of guilt... in whatever proportion that they're capable of. After all, the treatment being meted out to her is unjust.

Speaking of injustice, in most K dramas of this nature, it's the victims of crime that are prey to it. But here, we see that injustice pervades within the police force especially at the grassroots level. All the grunt work that they do catching criminals shutting down crime rings etc... comes to nothing when the higher ups make apparently incomprehensible decisions about how the cases should be followed up. It's true that high level bureaucrats hide behind manuals and procedures when it suits them to. Policing as we've seen all throughout the series, isn't a science but more of an art. Certainly regulations are necessary to protect everyone but there needs to be some level of flexibility and discernment.

One of the reasons why the show works so well for me at least is that the district patrol team is really home away from home. They've developed into such a tight-knit group. It's so moving watching them support each other especially seeing how everyone is throwing their weight behind MC in what seems to me to be a dodgy civilian complaint against the police. To humiliate themselves before such an unpleasantly arrogant claimant and then attempt to raise the necessary funds for it, this is what families do for each other. Particularly when public servants... at that level at least... don't really earn all that much. The plaintiff was definitely punchable material with his smug arrogance.

Chief Ki finally blabbed about his cancer (thank goodness it's only Stage 1) and Deputy Eun was right though... fancy announcing it on radio in such fashion :wink: but I understand the chief's dilemma. Things were uncertain and he didn't want to place any undue burdens on others. If only the other top people in the organization thought the same way about their subordinates... things would be very different for JM. 

Hooray for YC and JM who seem to have become closer as adversity strikes again. In their case it never rains but pours. Still I love the backhanded way their kids are trying to get them to reconcile. YC's clearly changed a lot. He's a lot more circumspect and he's lost a lot of that bluster that was his defining quality early on in the show. I adore the way he quietly supports his wife and colleagues in recent days.

Haha... I love both instances of couples "sleeping together". Very funny outcomes  especially in the case of the younger couple. I don't know if I really root for SS and HJ as a couple but I really like them as friends and confidants. SS is a terrific sounding board for HJ. As a boyfriend, I don't really know what I think at this stage. Her mother... sigh... I'm not entirely unsympathetic but she comes across as a bit of a nuisance at times.

It's hard to believe how much I like this show now when I was struggling with the first 4... 

I learned that no one can retire safely as a cop according to Live (which should be retitled, "We will all die." or simply Die... which could be a nice pun there. [roll of the Die, and to die.])

BTW, I'm pro LKS getting a straight up Rom com with him as the lead. I think if the writer harnesses his full range--the shown and hidden range, his incredible ability to do physical humor, etc, he might be very good as an off-beat Rom com hero. Just saying.

Still not feeling the romance. Too late writer, too late. Work faster on the characters up front. You CAN use the tight focus to rapidly introduce the characters, but waiting until 6 or 7 is too late to do that. I expect it more like maybe 5-6 to get character depth? and 1-4 as a rough rapid intro.

Felt a bit iffy about the mention of alcohol dimensia, was at least balanced by the scammer story, but still... why can't bad guys be bad guys with guns without mental illnesses? I don't think the nod off to the fact that people who kill other people and cops don't have to have mental illnesses was quite strong enough in that case. The ground work wasn't 100% there and seemed like too easy of an explanation.

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Subbed ep 15

@40somethingahjumma Strangely , i realise that I connect a lot more to this drama then the other ongoing Netflix offering. I find myself drawn to all the characters and it feels like I am experiencing their struggles and pain first hand.  First 10 minutes of eps 15 and I was bawling my eyes out. It was already an emotionally charged one since ep 14 was  preparing us for the fire scene but like  @philosophie , Chief Ki's reveal over the radio of his cancer turned on the waterworks for me. 

Same here. And I know exactly what you mean. :wink: 

Aside from the fact that the other Netflix drama moves at snail's pace (which isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself), the characters come across as caricatures. In Live, on the other hand, the characters are more fully fleshed out and even when they do things that the viewer mightn't agree with, there are reasons for why they do what they do. The characters feel real and the world building is very immersive. It's also the type of show that grabs you by the collar and doesn't let up. The writing is calculated to engage the whole person from head to toe.

Also I'm starting to wonder if I'm not getting a bit too old for rom coms. :D Not sure what your excuse is though. :tongue::wink:

It doesn't seem like DB is recapping it. What a shame. But then it doesn't seem like there's much recapping going on at the moment. Personally I like it more than Misaeng which people there raved on about. 

Why do I feel that this show constantly puts me on edge regarding San Bo? I'm always concerned that he'll never get to his retirement unscathed. I'm sure it's deliberate because apparently the entire team is trying to make sure he stays in the station out of harms way on the night before he retires. But of course, he can't, can he? To our chagrin. And now of course there's a nutty flour throwing serial stabber on the loose. 

No rest for the wicked... :tongue:

chingus if you can guess what is going to happen in a drama, then you have a writer in you! come be a matchmaker auntie and join us for this new event -- smash-up writer's carnival! even if you are lurking, don't forget to hit a button and encourage people's stories. it is based fully on community voting. have fun! :D

Archived