[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

Just caught up on all the episodes and the posts here— can’t believe there’s only 4 episodes left!! And even though most of us knew things weren’t going to end well, it’s still so heartbreaking watching it happen..

Here’s the preview for the last episodes: https://m.bilibili.com/video/av46977481.html

There’s one part (around 3:12) where Li Cheng Yin says to Xiao Feng, “You don’t understand. I didn’t have a choice,” and Xiao Feng responds, “Your reason is always ‘I never had a choice.’ Your reason will never be enough of an answer for me.” This exchange kiiiiillls me. They’re both stating their personal truths and there’s no way to bridge those two truths, which is why they’ll never be together. 

We also finally get the scene where Li Cheng Yin runs toward Xiao Feng to hug her and she stabs him. From the dialogue, it sounds like it happens after Li Cheng Yin finally takes down his political  enemies. It’s the first time we hear him say “I love you” to Xiao Feng, but it’s way, way too late. 

Monday is is going to be rough.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Wow.. Caught up to episode 48 and this show is so so painful. But these two main actor and actress are so darn charismatic. My eyes were glued to both of them as they acted out the most painful scenes in the series. Their expressions were so compelling and the pain so apparent on their faces. They don't have to say much, but their emotions were communicated by their every look and glance. Mannn. Peng Xiao Ran is an amazing actress. Her Xiao Feng was vividly acted and brought to life. These past few episodes were nothing short of amazing. I am looking forward to LCY's pain and anguish in the coming episodes. THE AUDIENCE DEMANDS FOR IT!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ohLIME said:

: gritando: gritando: gritando: gritando: gritando

Simplemente me puse al día con todos los episodios y las publicaciones aquí. ¡No puedo creer que solo queden 4 episodios! Y aunque la mayoría de nosotros no tenía nada que ver con terminar bien, todavía es tan desgarrador verlo pasar ...

Aquí está la vista previa de los últimos episodios:  https://m.bilibili.com/video/av46977481.html

Hay una parte (alrededor de 3:12) donde Li Cheng Yin le dice a Xiao Feng: “No entiendes. No tenía elección ", y Xiao Feng responde:" Tu razón es siempre: "Nunca tuve elección". Tu razón nunca será suficiente como respuesta para mí ". Este intercambio me ha ayudado. Estos están expresando sus verdades personales y no hay manera de salvar esas verdades, por lo que nunca han estado juntos. 

Finalmente, también tenemos la escena en la que Li Cheng Yin corre hacia Xiao Feng para abrazarla y ella lo apuñala. Desde el diálogo, parece que sucede después de que Li Cheng Yin finalmente derrotó a sus enemigos políticos. Es la primera vez que lo escuchamos decir "Te amo" a Xiao Feng, pero es demasiado tarde. 

El lunes va a ser  duro .

In the scene that LCY embraces XF and she nails him the knife he says: 

LCY: XiaFeng I'm back. Everything is over. I love you. Really I love you. I can forget about you and Gu Xianwu. You can really forget. You promise me. Have you forgotten? Let's start again.

XF: She sticks the knife in

LCY: Why? Why do you hate me so much? Why?

Before you say LCY tells her: XiaFeng you are what I want in my life.

XF: You liked the Zhao girl so much before. That you fought with me for her every day. But now you're saying you were using it. You hated me so much. I'm crying for taking me out every day. But now you say I'm asking for your life. You are like that. Let me know you again.

In the scene where XF is alone she says: I just hate not being able to forget him. I just hate myself because I can not forget him.

Very sad everything ....

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, gsmith said:

Before you say LCY tells her: XiaFeng is what I want in my life.

XF: You liked the Zhao girl so much before. That you fought with me for her every day. But now you're saying you were using it. You hated me so much. I'm crying for taking me out every day. But now you say I'm asking for your life. You are like that. Let me know you again.

That is LCY's biggest mistake as LCY the crown prince, he has made XF misunderstood him since the beginning.

He should be honest with XF when he starts has feeling for her.

XF loves GXW not LCY as a character, GXW expressed his feeling to her, always treat her and the people surrounding her very well, totally opposite to LCY's character, that's the difference between LCY and GXW.

During for 3-4 years into their marriage, XF only sees that LCY's heart belongs to Sese, and now he said, he just used Sese, how XF suppose to feel?, either I'm married a monster or I'm married a big liar who I shouldn't trust.

• Like 5

What a tragically beautiful drama this is. I normally steer away from dramas that are bound to end sadly but there is just something about this drama that draws you in, hook, line and sinker. The costumes and scenary are absolutely beautiful but the chemisty between the leads and the accompanying OST's are really the highlight of the drama for me. Every moment between them, no matter how small, just keeps me coming back for more! Why oh why did they cut most of the romantic scenes between our leads though!?! Don't they realise it's what we were anticipating most before all of the heartbreak!? 

How is this Peng Xiaorans first lead role too!? She is so incredibly beautiful and has portrayed her character and every emotion perfectly. Xiaofeng is probably one of my most favourite female leads ever, she is kind, considerate, respectful, compassionate, adventurous and tries to remain her bright self during all of her pain and suffering. Chen Xing Xu is just something else isn't he.. how is he only 22!? He literally goes from kind and caring to this ruthless person and you see the transformation in his every move and facial expression. His acting kind of reminds me of Zhang Bin Bin just in terms of how versatile they are and how they bring their characters to life. Both Chen Xing Xu and Peng Xiaoren have a very bright future ahead of them and I really hope they're given the opportunity to work together again cos their chemistry is off the charts.

I haven't read the book but agree that a sad ending would be most suitable. Xiaofeng has been through absolutely enough and if she were to lose Adu on top of it all, why would she want to keep on living? It's hard to justify some of Li Chengyin's actions but I do find him relatable. Unfortunately these types of things were common in that time and age and while some actions can be seen as hypocritical, I don't think Li Chengyin was planning on falling in love with Xiaofeng at the very start and I think he really felt as though his plan was most appropriate for his circumstances. I also have to remember that he still doesn't remember anything and I do think the whole situation could have been handled better if Gu Jian, Adu or General Peng just told our two leads the truth from the start but then we wouldn't have a drama would we? Lol

I'm just happy the whole Gu Jian/Gu Xiao Wu persona didn't last long cos that was a bit annoying.. anyways my ideal ending would be the original ending but perhaps with a time skip to decades later where they've both been reborn and something like: both our leads walk down a path (like a dirt path amongst a beautiful field) but with each person coming from the opposite side walking towards eachother and they both smile shyly at eachother, clearly not remembering their past life but simply two strangers who are attracted and feel some type of connection to eachother. They could then live a new life together in love and in peace without the palace obstacles.

Anyways sorry for the long messy post haha clearly this drama is also driving me to extreme measures of anxiety and obsession haha now onto the last stretch!

• Like 10

I see so many spoiler videos/photos on Instagram!! I am only on episode 38. :bawling: I want to watch all of it at once with Eng Subs. I am patiently anticipating all the tragic scenes. 

I am still hella annoyed about those deleted scenes. 

• Like 3

Many times I wonder why XF didn't tell LCY that GXW is him ? If she told the truth to LCY, then GJ might not have died because of his blind jealousy.

But I think, maybe XF doesn't want LCY to remember. Because if he remembers, he will be even more miserable. XF said that she was jealous of LCY because he could forget everything. Maybe XF did not want LCY to suffer like her.

"The greatest punishment Heaven has dealt mankind is not the ability to forget but the ability to remember things forever"

In the end, it was still a XF love and hate clearly. But no matter how much she hated LCY, the only love in her life was him. GXW or LCY are just 1 person, whom XF love so much.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, J13 said:

Qué drama tan trágicamente hermoso es este. Normalmente me alejo de los dramas que terminan tristemente, pero hay algo en este drama que te atrae, gancho, línea y sinker. El vestuario y el escenario son absolutamente hermosos, pero la quimica entre los conductores y los OST que los acompañan son realmente lo más destacado del drama para mí. Cada momento entre ellos, no importa lo pequeño que sea, ¡solo me hace volver por más! ¡¿Por qué, oh, por qué cortaron la mayoría de las escenas románticas entre nuestros clientes potenciales ?! ¿¡No se dan cuenta de que es lo que más anticipábamos antes de la angustia !? 

¿Cómo es este primer papel principal de Peng Xiaorans también? Ella es increíblemente hermosa y ha retratado perfectamente su carácter y cada emoción. Xiaofeng es probablemente una de mis protagonistas favoritas, es amable, considerada, respetuosa, compasiva, aventurera y trata de seguir siendo su ser brillante durante todo su dolor y sufrimiento. Chen Xing Xu es algo más, ¿no es él ... cómo es que solo tiene 22 años? Literalmente pasa de ser amable y cariñoso a esta persona despiadada y ves la transformación en cada movimiento y expresión facial. Su actuación me recuerda a Zhang Bin Bin solo en términos de qué tan versátiles son y cómo dan vida a sus personajes. Tanto Chen Xing Xu como Peng Xiaoren tienen un futuro muy brillante por delante y realmente espero que '

No he leído el libro, pero estoy de acuerdo en que un final triste sería lo más adecuado. Xiaofeng ya ha pasado lo suficiente y si pierde Adu por encima de todo, ¿por qué querría seguir viviendo? Es difícil justificar algunas de las acciones de Li Chengyin, pero lo encuentro fácil de recordar. Desafortunadamente, este tipo de cosas eran comunes en esa época y mientras algunas acciones pueden considerarse hipócritas, no creo que Li Chengyin estuviera planeando enamorarse de Xiaofeng desde el principio y creo que realmente sentía que era su El plan era el más apropiado para sus circunstancias. También tengo que recordar que él todavía no recuerda nada y creo que toda la situación podría haberse manejado mejor si Gu Jian, Adu o el General Peng nos dijeran a nuestros dos líderes la verdad desde el principio, pero luego no lo haríamos. t tener un drama podriamos? Jaja

Estoy feliz de que toda la persona de Gu Jian / Gu Xiao Wu no duró mucho porque fue un poco molesto. De todos modos, mi final ideal sería el final original, pero tal vez con un tiempo para décadas después, donde ambos hemos vuelto a nacer y algo así: nuestros dos conductores caminan por un sendero (como un sendero de tierra entre un campo hermoso) pero con cada persona que viene del lado opuesto caminando uno hacia el otro y ambos sonríen tímidamente, claramente sin recordar su vida pasada, pero Simplemente dos extraños que se sienten atraídos y sienten algún tipo de conexión entre ellos. Entonces podrían vivir una nueva vida juntos en amor y en paz sin los obstáculos del palacio.

De todos modos, perdón por el largo y desordenado post, claro, este drama también me está llevando a medidas extremas de ansiedad y obsesión, ¡jaja ahora en el último tramo!

I`m sorry about my bad English.

I agree with you. I do not usually watch tragic dramas either, but this has totally captivated me.

The history, the costumes, the scenarios and the enormous chemistry of the main couple is wonderful.

I agree, because I have seen many historical dramas, in which much of what happened is normal at that time.

I'm almost sure it's going to end badly, but I keep looking at it with the illusion that something happens that changes things for our partner.

In another environment, they are perfect for each other: they have fun together, XF has purity and rebelliousness, and LCY has the intelligence and rationality that make them complement each other perfectly. She causes problems and he follows her and protects her. They are a couple formed in heaven.

What saddens me most of this drama, is that they did not have a time in which they were happy.

XF suffered throughout the drama and LCY too. I remember when it began, before learning that the Empress had killed his mother and his family, and the death of the first brother, it was said that he was the most intelligent but was not interested in politics, and he was sweet and sensitive as his mother. In his head he knows that he does all this in order to be with her without danger. When he comes back and embraces her saying that everything is over, he loves her and she is the only one in his life, my heart breaks. He sincerely believes that everything will be fixed and they will be able to be together.

I also hope that after he dies of old remembering her, suffering for not having her and paying for his mistakes, they find themselves in another life as two strangers in Xi state and give us to understand that they can have a happy life.

Although I am aware that a terrible ending fits into the story, NO ONE CAN BE UNHAPPY FOR ALL ETERNITY ... it would be terrible an end like that.
  • Like 4

GXW once promised to do 3 things for XF. 3 things XF wants GXW to do:
① Catch 100 fireflies
② Killing GJ
③ The last thing: "答应 我 , 好好 活着 - Promise me, live well" (you will know in ep 52)
And he did 2/3. And the last thing, will be known in the end, on the next Monday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

https://mydramalist.com/article/currently-watching-goodbye-my-princess-011013182

Excellent write up by MyDramaList writer on GBMP

RWEdRf.jpg

"The greatest punishment that Heaven has dealt mankind, is not the ability to forget, but the ability to remember forever."

LxRQ5f.jpg

006PWYULly1fia37zswccj30860ci3ys.jpg

Goodbye My Princess ― alternatively titled as Eastern Palace ― is a currently airing Mainland Chinese drama based on Fei Wo Si Cun's novel of the same name. The drama has received immense praise from audiences and critics for its acting, pacing, beautiful cinematography, and soundtrack. It is also commended for its respectful treatment of the source material, coupled with the successful incorporation of newer elements.

What's even more impressive is the production team's choice to wholeheartedly embrace the tragedy of the story, and being unafraid to market it as such, since this usually drives potential audiences away.

As of the time this article has been written, the drama is already in its final week of airing, with 40 episodes out of 52 having been released, of which 34 are available subbed. The story is equally poignant for episodic watchers and binge-watchers alike.

Therefore, if the 'Tragedy' tag is what scares you away, I'm here to convince you to give this drama a chance, and explain why it deserves more love, while simultaneously trying to dodge potential spoilers to the best of my abilities.

Y35BWf.jpg

Y35zdf.jpg

"Once upon a time, there was a little prince who lived in the Zixu Kingdom. He disliked war the most, but the Eastern Palace was a treacherous place filled with blood, and in order to seek justice, the little prince had to perform a mission he almost couldn't complete. For this reason, he had no choice but deceive a friend...

A very important friend who meant the world to him. "

― Gu Xiao Wu 
(Episode 3)

Xiao Feng is the ninth princess of Western Liang's Xi State, and the granddaughter of the Khan of Dan Chi, a small desert kingdom. In order to establish good relations with the Li Empire, her father pledges her hand into a marriage alliance with a prince from the Central Plains, a decree that she's not too happy to abide by and therefore makes various unsuccessful attempts to evade this ordeal.

On one of her escapades, she has a chance encounter with the injured Fifth Prince of the Li Dynasty, Li Chengyin. The two narrowly escape death and captivity multiple times, and finally make it to Dan Chi, where Xiao Feng is seemingly safe from the murderous outside world but fate tends to disagree. Tragedy ensues as the aftermath of an earth-shattering betrayal, and Xiao Feng's entire life is ripped away from her, along with her blossoming relationship with Li Chengyin.

Distraught and at wits' end, Xiao Feng decides to set herself free from all the excruciating memories, by jumping into The River of Oblivion, a mystical place said to eradicate memories and the people associated with them. The catch is that it is seemingly hidden from everyone, and no survivor has ever returned from there. To save her from her imminent death, Li Chengyin jumps in after her, and thus their shared memories are wiped from existence, their entangled fates untangled, and their lives separated as two parallel lines would be.

However, this is not the end, as the wheels of fate begin to turn again, landing the now amnesiac Xiao Feng into the very place she was ready to risk death to avoid ending up in; the Eastern Palace. Bestowed with the title of the future Crown Princess, Xiao Feng awaits her fate like a lamb waiting to be slaughtered, having been pledged to Li Chengye, the Second Prince (prospective future Crown Prince). 

The now amnesiac Li Chengyin is busy with the aftermath of the previous events, heavily involved in court politics, and has a woman he loves. With conspiracies and ill intentions from a multitude of antagonists impacting the Eastern Palace left, right and center, there should be no reason for the two to ever meet, but their fates are aligned once again as the two apparent strangers find themselves drawn to each other, their repressed memories threatening to return when the sole reason for their survival is their amnesia. Amidst the bloodthirsty residents of the Eastern Palace, and the even more dangerous world outside, these two will have to find solace in each other against terrible odds.

kXjnwf.jpg

ev2qdf.jpg

The Star Crossed Lovers

Cheng Xin Xu as Gu Xiao Wu/ Prince Li Chengyin
Peng Xiao Ran as Princess Xiao Feng
6nAX2f.jpg y7wdNf.jpg
The Anti-hero
Intelligent, charming, cunning, dangerous, and ambitious. In a nutshell, he is fit to be king. It's incredibly difficult to place him in a box. He's perhaps the greyest character of them all.

Whatever he does, he doesn't go halfway. Especially when it comes to love. He is incredibly vocal about it and does not fear opposition. He's a joy to watch. His character is made to be loved, then hated, then loved again. However, subjectively speaking, I have nothing but adoration for him.
The Trusting Soul

Kind, playful, street-smart, humble and at times unintentionally hilarious. She's the yin to his yang, the epitome of innocent, childlike happiness.

Always striving to see the best in the darkest of people, she ends up in difficult situations due to her inborn curiosity, and inability to mind her own business.

However, she undergoes perhaps the most amount of character development of all, losing, regaining, and then again losing her happy-go-lucky nature.

The Unwaveringly Loyal Ones

Shawn Wei as Gu Jian
Najima as A Du
g2RrPf.jpg Y35Bzf.jpg
The Master

Brave, kind, stoic, and infuriatingly patient. A man who is torn between his loyalty to his people and to the woman he loves.

Xiao Feng's Shifu is not your regular second male lead. Sure, he harbours unrequited feelings for Xiao Feng, but he has much bigger fish to fry. 

A direct cousin to Li Chengyin, he is crucial in the Prince's ascension to the throne, while also having a secret mission of his own.

The Sworn Sister

Brave, resilient, patient, and incredibly skilled in combat. The living example of uncontested loyalty. 

A Du is Xiao Feng's personal bodyguard. However, she is so much more than just that. She is proof that one does not have to be directly related to someone in order to be willing to risk everything for them.

She has been through literal hell and still managed to protect both her life and Xiao Feng's. When the closest people betrayed her, A Du was Xiao Feng's only light in the darkness. 

The Central Plains Cavalry

Kingone Wang as The Second Prince Li Chengye
Gallen Lo as the Emperor of the Central Plains
Wang Zhi Fei as Prime Minister Gao
72Ejef.jpg AvQeqf.jpg E84wOf.jpg
Siqin Gaowa as the 
Grand Empress Dowager
Zhang Ding Han as The Queen
Xia Wa as Zhao Sese
JK2ydf.jpg E84V5f.jpg 72Emrf.jpg
Shao Feng as Chai Mu
Guan Le as Mi Luo
Lu Xing as General Gao Xian
nE7pWf.jpg qqdp5f.jpg 2xl2kf.jpg

From Danchi/ Western State 

Zheng Xiao Ning as King/Khan Tomur of Dan Chi
Jiang Kai as King Qu Wencheng of Xi State
50jq0f.jpg kXjbkf.jpg

KrYVjf.jpg

Why you need to drop everything and watch this right now!  

z7m0ef.jpg

Chen Xing Xu and Peng Xiao Ran's chemistry is no joke! These two know very well how to tug at the audience's heartstrings with fluttering moments, set the screen on fire in intense scenes and make one cry a river through their portrayal of emotions. 

giphy.gif giphy.gif

581.jpg

Goodbye+My+Princess+30.jpg

Couple%2BGoodbye%2BMy%2BPrincess.jpg

giphy.gif giphy.gif

wwQo8f.jpg

mjE8mf.jpg

Exquisite, breath-taking, and beautiful are the words to describe the care that was taken to make sure every single scene is as beautiful and perfectly shot as the next. This drama is a visual feast for the eyes. 
(Screenshots lovingly captured by yours truly.)

lJAoJf.jpgrq8Qgf.jpgAvQOPf.jpgXekqwf.jpgY35Xof.jpgVQdVzf.jpg006PWYULly1g0518rshbij31hc0u07wj.jpgvOK4Zf.jpgDzl85o1UUAA47SD.jpg  You can check out even more of the beautiful cinematography in Goodbye My Princess' MDL Photos archive here.  

xmzqzf.jpg

WQ8VDf.jpg

They say never judge a book by its cover, but what can you do when they're so beautifully made?

img-03d5ea0f9203e6092eb2f8d7c2f29e05.jpg?w=584&h=876 East%2032.jpg good-bye-my-princess.153912.jpg East%2033.jpg
10345-poster.jpg Dz5jCXtVYAAuyj9.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlcRgncyDIbest3cYUba6WUs0Rh5xd4fjQZFa9AF4otdJP3O9b p2495645325.jpg?resize=400%2C565&ssl=1

N7XVnf.jpg

pWbeef.jpg

Hauntingly beautiful is just one of the many ways to describe the soundtrack for this drama. Soulful chorals for quiet, emotional scenes and equally tempestuous beats for the scenes depicting conflict. Two of my personal favourites include:

First Encounter

Love Catastrophe

giphy.gif giphy.gif
Studio Version by: Chen Xing Xu and Peng Xiao Ran
Originally sung by: Yu Zhao Yuan and Ye Li
Sung by: Xiao Shi and Gong Jun

RWEV6f.jpg

Final Thoughts  

This drama is certainly a tearjerker. Every happy moment feels like the calm before a storm. I've shed my fair share of tears so far. However, everything about it is so heartbreakingly beautiful that I just cannot stop myself from watching one episode after another (this is coming from someone who avoids longer dramas like the plague). Not a single moment did I find my thoughts drifting away from what was happening on my screen so far. I was and still continue to be transfixed by it.

This drama has a narrative that flows like poetry (and has some poetry incorporated in it too), pays attention to detail, and maintains a crucial balance in politics and romance. Every character has something to contribute to the story and has well-grounded and established loyalties, motivations and backstory. I highly recommend this drama to those who enjoy well fleshed out storylines, questions that are raised and then actually answered, and of course, a brilliant mix of veteran and new talents stealing the show with their screen presence.

If you're still wary of watching this just because the end may be unsatisfying there's good news for you; two endings are said to have been made for this. One honouring the original source material, and the other honouring the hearts of the audience. I personally am a staunch believer of sticking to the source material.

That was my attempt at convincing readers to give this wonderful drama a chance. Was I successful, or did I fail miserably? Let me know in the comments. Thank you so much for reading!  

Love,
Jojo

GOODBYE!

giphy.gif

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, furu.vu217 said:

Many times I wonder why XF didn't tell LCY that GXW is him ? If she told the truth to LCY, then GJ might not have died because of his blind jealousy.

But I think, maybe XF doesn't want LCY to remember. Because if he remembers, he will be even more miserable. XF said that she was jealous of LCY because he could forget everything. Maybe XF did not want LCY to suffer like her.

"The greatest punishment Heaven has dealt mankind is not the ability to forget but the ability to remember things forever"

In the end, it was still a XF love and hate clearly. But no matter how much she hated LCY, the only love in her life was him. GXW or LCY are just 1 person, whom XF love so much.

I agree. I think XF knows it would be too painful for LCY if he remembers the past as well. Not just for LCY but also for XF as well. I think once LCY knows the past, he would not be willing to let go of XF. He might still kill GJ, who knows. In the past, he was determined to keep XF by his side even when he knows how painful it is for XF. 

• Like 3

Great review from the Mydramalist writer! I'm so happy to hear this drama is receiving good reviews and popularity even with the lesser known main leads, they certainly deserve the praise! Thanks for sharing pad-hari :)

Wow this drama has literally taken me to new levels of drama obsession I didn't know existed lol I'm eagerly awaiting the last 4 episodes even though I know I'll by crying my eyes out! 

I've read some comments about how Xiaofeng doesn't seem to have fallen in love with Li Chengyin whilst being in the palace (like there are clearly feelings there but not entirely love) but I beg to differ, the scene where Xiaofeng is in that gorgeous red dress and staring at Li Chengyin from across the river (after she walked away because Sese found Li Chengyin during the festival) while he's standing there with Sese really showed so much hurt and pain in her eyes. The scene that really cemented her love for him in my eyes though was when she secretly enters her room with Gu Jian (in his annoying Gu Xiao Wu persona) and sees Li Chengyin enter her room while looking heartbroken and reminiscing. Her face and eyes while she stares at him says it all, even though she's with 'Gu Xiao Wu', it's pretty obvious who's really in her heart.

To take my mind off the sadness to come, I've been replaying some of my favourite sweet scenes and two of my most favourite scenes are in the earlier episodes. The first one is when Xiaofeng's sitting on the river bed with Li Chengyin/Gu Xiao Wu with her bare feet in the water and Li Chengyin/Gu Xiao Wu says that in the Central Plains women treat their feet preciously and never show their feet to men, when Xiaofeng asks what happens if a man sees a womens feet, he says the man would have to marry her. Then Xiaofeng shyly asks Gu Xiao Wu if he will kill the white eyed wolf for her (because her grandfather had previously proclaimed that only the man who kills the white eyed wolf could marry his granddaughter) and he says with a sweet smile "well what can he do seeing as he has already seen her feet". The chemisty and sweetness in that scene just touched my heart. 

The other scene I love is when they get married in the Danchi tribe and whilst walking along the special marriage path, they are both so extremely happy and kind of lean into eachothers faces with these big smiles. The producers certainly hit the jackpot with these two and their chemistry!

Ok that's enough from me for now haha hopefully they don't cut the kiss scene where Xiaofeng kisses Li Chengyin while he sits on the steps but I'll continue to eagerly await until the last episodes come out and remain hopeful!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, J13 said:

Great review from the Mydramalist writer! I'm so happy to hear this drama is receiving good reviews and popularity even with the lesser known main leads, they certainly deserve the praise! Thanks for sharing pad-hari :)

Wow this drama has literally taken me to new levels of drama obsession I didn't know existed lol I'm eagerly awaiting the last 4 episodes even though I know I'll by crying my eyes out! 

I've read some comments about how Xiaofeng doesn't seem to have fallen in love with Li Chengyin whilst being in the palace (like there are clearly feelings there but not entirely love) but I beg to differ, the scene where Xiaofeng is in that gorgeous red dress and staring at Li Chengyin from across the river (after she walked away because Sese found Li Chengyin during the festival) while he's standing there with Sese really showed so much hurt and pain in her eyes. The scene that really cemented her love for him in my eyes though was when she secretly enters her room with Gu Jian (in his annoying Gu Xiao Wu persona) and sees Li Chengyin enter her room while looking heartbroken and reminiscing. Her face and eyes while she stares at him says it all, even though she's with 'Gu Xiao Wu', it's pretty obvious who's really in her heart.

To take my mind off the sadness to come, I've been replaying some of my favourite sweet scenes and two of my most favourite scenes are in the earlier episodes. The first one is when Xiaofeng's sitting on the river bed with Li Chengyin/Gu Xiao Wu with her bare feet in the water and Li Chengyin/Gu Xiao Wu says that in the Central Plains women treat their feet preciously and never show their feet to men, when Xiaofeng asks what happens if a man sees a womens feet, he says the man would have to marry her. Then Xiaofeng shyly asks Gu Xiao Wu if he will kill the white eyed wolf for her (because her grandfather had previously proclaimed that only the man who kills the white eyed wolf could marry his granddaughter) and he says with a sweet smile "well what can he do seeing as he has already seen her feet". The chemisty and sweetness in that scene just touched my heart. 

The other scene I love is when they get married in the Danchi tribe and whilst walking along the special marriage path, they are both so extremely happy and kind of lean into eachothers faces with these big smiles. The producers certainly hit the jackpot with these two and their chemistry!

Ok that's enough from me for now haha hopefully they don't cut the kiss scene where Xiaofeng kisses Li Chengyin while he sits on the steps but I'll continue to eagerly await until the last episodes come out and remain hopeful!

Well said!!!!! I definitely agree with your argument that XF does really love LCY/XW. The nonverbals always speak louder than what is actually verbally said/communicated. I just think that XF and LCY/XW were able to freely express their innocent love in their previous life/past because there wasn't too many factors in place to seal their love quite yet. Currently, due to the circumstance and additional factors in place, they aren't able to directly express their feelings. They have to cage their love for each other...and LCY's push and pull actions towards XF have fogged the environment in the cage, which makes it hard for XF to see his love. If I were in XF's shoes, I would also feel conflicted and confused lol

• Like 4