[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

So glad to see vids and BTS updates from the cast. Thankful to all who have shared. Somehow it helps to ease the hurt. That photo of Mr Hangraeng and Ms Haman was too cute :wub:  And Eugene's farewell vid I can now connect this funny side of him to all the funny scenes in the drama. I do prefer to think of happy memories even though it will take some time to really get over this drama. 

Some have mentioned about not having a wedding or marriage... I've been thinking about that, I thought the exchange of rings was symbolic of that, albeit a Western culture. I thought it was beautifully done.. From the proposal to the train when AeShin placed the ring on Eugene's finger. And the way they kept wearing it long after the mission was completed.

I was also thinking that they couldn't have a traditional Korean marriage as that would be too elaborate and festive given the onset of war and turmoil. Could they have done that? I'm actually curious. Could they have a traditional Korean wedding custom at that time? 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, writteninthestars09 said:

So glad to see vids and BTS updates from the cast. Thankful to all who have shared. Somehow it helps to ease the hurt. That photo of Mr Hangraeng and Ms Haman was too cute :wub:  And Eugene's farewell vid I can now connect this funny side of him to all the funny scenes in the drama. I do prefer to think of happy memories even though it will take some time to really get over this drama. 

Yes, it's been hard to move on from Mr. Sunshine just yet, but I'm glad TVN released the final BTS clips to help us fans cope with the sad ending. :tears: BTW, is your profile picture the sign of Hee Sung's newspaper business? :lol:

39 minutes ago, writteninthestars09 said:

Some have mentioned about not having a wedding or marriage... I've been thinking about that, I thought the exchange of rings was symbolic of that, albeit a Western culture. I thought it was beautifully done.. From the proposal to the train when AeShin placed the ring on Eugene's finger. And the way they kept wearing it long after the mission was completed.

I was also thinking that they couldn't have a traditional Korean marriage as that would be too elaborate and festive given the onset of war and turmoil. Could they have done that? I'm actually curious. Could they have a traditional Korean wedding custom at that time? 

I'm not familiar with Korean wedding tradition of that time, but I would think Ae Shin and Eugene could have had an informal wedding like Ae Shin's parents. In their hearts, AS and Eugene marriage is symbolic like you've mentioned about the ring exchange. :heart:Hopefully, someone who''s more familiar with the tradition can give you a better answer. :sweatingbullets:

On a lighter note, BYH and YYS were asked about "Fool, Moron, and Loser." :lol:

Poc9Qpj.jpg

DIlI9be.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SeReNiTy said:

BTW, is your profile picture the sign of Hee Sung's newspaper business? :lol:

YES it is the flower :)

He became my fave character in the show. I even made my ID after his character after I learned what his name meant - Hee Sung, the Shining Star Writer :D Would you mind sharing your favorite character too? :)

1 hour ago, SeReNiTy said:

I'm not familiar with Korean wedding tradition of that time, but I would think Ae Shin and Eugene could have had an informal wedding like Ae Shin's parents

Aah u're right. What would have been an informal Korean Wedding like? I'm fairly new to Kdrama and Korean traditions. I'm guessing it would involve traditional paying of respects to their elders or parents and a tea ceremony? 

Btw, i cant view the link you posted above. Was there a video of that interview? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rubie said:

Hello @viba, welcome to MR.SUNSHINE soompi! LOL! We don't shoot! 2097.gifReally good to read your well-said thoughts and can't agree more about what you wrote about killing off heroes in tv shows. That is totally true, particularly when we watched how the characters grow, adapt and change accordingly. It's just that, I remember reading long time ago that Korean productions (drama and movies, particularly) have an affinity with dying endings because it deliver more impact that people will remember the most. Can't say how true is that because I certainly could not vouch for it. th_dontcare.gifNope.. not after 23 episodes of (fictionally) anticipating and hoping.

Anyway, thank you so much for finding us here and writing out to rant/heal about the ending. You may not feel better yet but it does make others feel less in denial. It's still along way to go.. sigh.. but we're here, trying to understand.

Saturday is here again. There's no more MR.SUNSHINE. Just Mr.Sad Ending.  th_sigh.gif

Hello @rubie and thank you so much for your post. Glad to hear I am not the only one... I agree about what you wrote concerning korean productions. Indeed, because I was so impressed by the first two korean drama I saw, I then looked at another ones and movies too. And yes, tragic endings or even just tragic stories seem to be quite often used.

So now, I developed a strategy(!): I look for viewers comments on web before watching. And I do not go for a non complete drama... I am now prepared if everything is messy in the end... This is my Mr Sunshine's lesson(!)  

One positive point: I discovered how good and enriching korean productions may be, mainly on poetic aspects for which I am really sensitive. From my occidental point of view/prism/bias, even if I do not buy those overused (in my opinion) tragic endings/stories, I am pretty sure there will be some room for me to enjoy another great korean productions.

So good job and cheer our minds up soon!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SeReNiTy said:

I'm not familiar with Korean wedding tradition of that time, but I would think Ae Shin and Eugene could have had an informal wedding like Ae Shin's parents. In their hearts, AS and Eugene marriage is symbolic like you've mentioned about the ring exchange. :heart:Hopefully, someone who''s more familiar with the tradition can give you a better answer. :sweatingbullets:

In neither country (his or hers) would an actual ceremony have been required. Common law marriage was allowed at the time, too, so a marriage certificate wasn't even really required. They could just declare themselves married, which they did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@rubie Hi! Thank you! You are so kind. And I said,  "You remembered me?" You're making me feel embarrassed.:blush:. It looks like you are sad about the ending. I'm sorry. I'm sad too.

You said you liked my other Eugene gif. So I found one for you! I hope you like it!

Me to you:

Image result for lee byung hun mr sunshine gif

credit to owner

My thoughts:

Spoiler

My thoughts on drama/actors:

I think this drama was very special. I think it was special because it showed a part of history. I don't know a lot about Korean/Japanese history. So I was shocked when I started watching this! I think the drama is trying to tell us what happened. I think the drama is trying to tell us through Eugene's eyes. I hope that the other actors get leading roles in dramas/movies someday. I would love to see more of them. I'm sorry! I don't think I shared my thoughts well. I hope you enjoyed this drama from start to finish. I hope I meet you in a future thread! :).

Edit: I think I repeated myself! Please ignore it! :D 

Edited by 2handsintertwined
:)
  • Like 2

Ahahah, the farewell greeting were so fun! Hilarious! I think the actors must know that the fans need some soothing picture.  Eugene Choi galloping away  toward the sunset is the scene many fans could have imagined. Brilliant humor by Lee Byung Hun. I like him even more.

@charray may I post your gif of galloping Eugene in a facebook group please?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marfisa said:

Ahahah, the farewell greeting were so fun! Hilarious! I think the actors must know that the fans need some soothing picture.  Eugene Choi galloping away  toward the sunset is the scene many fans could have imagined. Brilliant humor by Lee Byung Hun. I like him even more.

@charray may I post your gif of galloping Eugene in a facebook group please?

@marfisa  Sure, please feel free to do so. 

A cute twitter post below on the pros and cons of dating 5 main characters. Very funny.....:D

Credit: @Ending13Sad onTwitter

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

A  feature article on Soompi, check it out & don't mind the title though ~

October 6, 2018

Star-Crossed Lovers And Loyalties: K-Dramas You Should Watch After “Mr. Sunshine”

Source: Soompi by hgordon

Star-Crossed Lovers And Loyalties: K-Dramas You Should Watch After âMr. Sunshineâ

Are you still reeling after the finale of the epic historical melodrama “Mr. Sunshine”? Does your life feel suddenly empty without the bittersweet romance of Ae Shin and Eugene, the heroic missions of the Righteous Army, or the general badassery of Ae Shin and Kudo Hina? We don’t blame you! “Mr. Sunshine” was an epic K-drama through and through, and if you’re missing the show, you might need to fix your withdrawal — by starting right into another K-drama, of course. We have some drama recommendations for you based on what you loved about “Mr. Sunshine,” whether it was the heart-rending romance, the thrilling gunfights, or everything in between. Read on!

The rest of the article and comments ~

https://www.soompi.com/article/1237655wpp/star-crossed-lovers-and-loyalties-k-dramas-watch-after-mr-sunshine

Even Google doesn't quite register the finale of MR.SUNSHINE :vicx:

mrsunshine_google.jpg?w=900

• Like 2

Hi Soompiers!  Can't believe it's already one week since the finale of Mr. Sunshine (why you needed to remind us @rubie????:dissapointed_relieved:)

Now that I've more-or-less calmed down (not really, but calm enough not to post random reaction gifs) from the aftermath of Mr. Sunshine (can't say the same for AS and other fictional- and real- people having to endure 30-40 years of Japanese oppression of Korea:expressionless:), I've couple of more things to say regarding the overall progression and message of the drama.

Standard disclaimer:

1. Apologies in advance for the long post AND multiple quotes. 

2. Please let me know if I've missed any significant plot point and/or characterization.

15 hours ago, rubie said:

Hello @viba, welcome to MR.SUNSHINE soompi! LOL! We don't shoot! 2097.gifReally good to read your well-said thoughts and can't agree more about what you wrote about killing off heroes in tv shows. That is totally true, particularly when we watched how the characters grow, adapt and change accordingly. It's just that, I remember reading long time ago that Korean productions (drama and movies, particularly) have an affinity with dying endings because it deliver more impact that people will remember the most. Can't say how true is that because I certainly could not vouch for it. th_dontcare.gifNope.. not after 23 episodes of (fictionally) anticipating and hoping.

Anyway, thank you so much for finding us here and writing out to rant/heal about the ending. You may not feel better yet but it does make others feel less in denial. It's still along way to go.. sigh.. but we're here, trying to understand.

Hi @rubie. Sorry to cut your post into two.

As far as endings are concerned, I prefer logical endings, be it happy or sad.  I become annoyed with the idea of throwing out "sad"/dying endings for the sake of throwing a "memorable punch" that viewers would "never forget".  i mean, we already deal with real life throwing ambiguous, "memorable" punches at us; we don't need this kind of ending in K-dramas (or any fictional work) if it's not necessary.  Similarly, I get peeved whenever I see dramas or movies (usually K-dramas) with overly filler, sappy endings in which the protagonists suddenly condone, forgive, or even become friendly with villains or other characters who have "last-minute, nonsensical" redemption despite spending the majority of the drama harassing, sabotaging and/or even attempting to kill said protagonists.

Again, Mr. Sunshine took place in a tumultuous era in Joseon Korea during which the Joseon people and government were grappling with the inevitable Japanese annexation, their own fallacies within their social classes and affairs, and betrayals/abandonment from their own people and potential allies including the U.S.  So, I would not have expected a full-blown happy ending in which all the villains (the Japanese government/army conducting and condoning their atrocities, Wan Ik, Takeshi Mori, etc.) die off before successfully conquering Korea, while our beloved characters, including AS and EC, sail off into the sunset (no pun intended here) unscathed without any PTSD.  Also, I appreciate that KES did not shy away from depicting the pain, trauma, and outrage toward all those situations the Joseon people faced from both the Japanese and their own kind (and, to a lesser extent, the U.S. and other foreigners staying in Joseon Korea); after all, the current Japanese government continues whitewashing the history of the 30-40 year Japanese conquering of Korea, thus leaving most Japanese citizens (and others around the world including the U.S. who don't usually cover that time period in their history curriculum) unaware about the true extent of the Japanese atrocities in Korea back then.

Nonetheless, I could have accepted EC's death (and that of HS, DM, HN, and even Haman and Mr. Haengrang) if it was not portrayed as partly (of course not entirely, but still) due to AS' increasing disconnect from EC and her loved ones during her lone quest for Joseon independence  (while she joined the RA, she somewhat felt as though she didn't belong there either).  I get that AS did not want EC, Haman, and other loved ones to get captured, tortured, and/or killed by the Japanese army because of their relations with her- hence, the separation and refusal to fully divulge her plans.  However, given EC's past strategic takedowns (i.e., planting Emperor/King Gojong's letter in the villianous Minister Lee's household to implicate Minister Lee for "treason") and Haman and Mr. Haengrang's constant "parenting" of AS in earlier episodes, AS should have considered that EC, Haman, Mr. Haengrang, and others who cared about her would not just let AS risk her own life alone without doing something to help her, whether or not they understand or agree with her cause.  Otherwise, why would Haman and Mr. Haengrang return from their refuge in Manchuria and offer to divert the Japanese army from locating any RA fighters at the expense of their own lives!?

Last but not least, however poignantly KTR (AS) and LBH (EC) acted out their farewell (with a moving musical score/OST to boot :bawling:), that train scene could've either been avoided or handled differently had AS directly informed EC of her plans for evacuating the remaining RA fighters and their family members via train.  As a former U.S. soldier with military expertise, EC would have offered alternatives for plotting their escape while evading Japanese capture.  And it goes without saying (as it's been mentioned by other Soompiers here) about how EC could've just shoved the hostage towards the Japanese army in the other train cart and then shoot/disconnect the train carts while staying in the same cart with AS and others!!!!!!!  However dire and seemingly doomed the fight for Joseon independence would be (as reflected in real life, unfortunately), AS could have had at least one comrade she personally cared for and vice versa who would be willing to support her cause and stay by her side throughout the rest of the fight/drama; and who else other than her steadfast betrothed EC!  Not to mention that AS and EC could have had future descendants of the sun (pun intended here, :glasses:) looking onward with adult Domi (perhaps it's just me, but Kim Min Jae somewhat resembles BYH (HS)) and carrying out the spirit and legacy of their cause for Joseon independence from Japanese oppression.  So many missed opportunities here, KES...:pensive:

Saturday is here again. There's no more MR.SUNSHINE. Just Mr.Sad Ending.  th_sigh.gif

Crying with @Ahpheng ©strips

Thanks for bringing this up; for I have one more critical question that I'm not sure if it was clarified by KES or any Soompiers somewhere in this thread:

Why is this drama titled "Mr. Sunshine"?

Other than AS absentmindedly saying "Mister...sunshine" towards the end of Ep. 10 while learning "S" and reeling over EC's past revelation, what was KES's message behind both the drama and the title of this drama?  Because, as you said, it sure didn't end with "rainbows and sunshine", especially when the aforementioned "Mr. Sunshine" died (in a poignant but still arguably illogical manner for a U.S. soldier who had shown instances of strategic takedowns in previous episodes)! :triumph:

Seriously, though, I am curious as to why KES chose this title to reflect the overall message of this drama.  What did "Mr. Sunshine" represent?  If it's strictly referring to EC only, then what did he do for the sake of the main plot, including RA movement in Joseon, that would earn him the title "Mr. Sunshine", aside from AS' brief "reference" which was way before EC started reconciling with his dire past in Joseon and training the Joseon army?

• Like 5

@KDramaLogic good question about the title. It seems quite forced as well. Eugene might have been the sunshine for AeShin, but these words were said just once and did not became the sweet nickname or love name used by her to call her lover... she also never called him by name, the only time at the moment of his death (and this upsets me greatly), so.. I am puzzled...

• Like 2

Eugene = Mr. Sunshine. 

Because, despite abandoned by his own motherland, he has been doing all he can to protect it (train future RA, save the lives of those inside the train carriage, including his beloved wife.)

I have the feeling it's the moral value of Eugene that the writer tried to display, hence the name Mr. Sunhine.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, kansas424 said:

I have the feeling it's the moral value of Eugene that the writer tried to display, hence the name Mr. Sunhine

I would agree. Despite his initial reluctance to take part or acknowledge his home country, he became that ray of light, a ray of hope to those who needed his help. I think maybe KES was trying to tell us early on in the drama why this would be so. Eugene has told Kyle earlier "Joseon has never taken me in" He's saying that he considers America as his homeland. He continued denying with his words but his actions were the opposite. He started helping the people of Joseon thereby making an impact on the lives of those he helped and those around him. I think, maybe a bystander would have thought, if this person who looks like us, but who seems to be a foreigner, can do his part in helping us then why cant we? 

I honestly thought that his character would not die because of the titular name. But having the story end the way it did, I can now understand why it ended that way. Thinking about it, none of them had to die. Hina could've continue on with profit in her hotel business, DongMae could continue hiding in Manchuria instead of fighting the thugs, HeeSung could talk his way out of any situation before surely he could easily do that again. He was already a noble and living a comfortable life, he could just ignore the crisis that was taking place. But there's a realization in the conclusion that asks to see the bigger picture. I must say this drama has allowed me to be more introspective. 

Because of this, I am suddenly reminded of that phrase that I have heard a few times, when a person seem to be having tremendous luck in a situation, they say he must have saved a country in the previous life. I didnt quite grasp the meaning of this before. But now, I understand it completely. The story in Mr Sunshine literally showed they all died for their country. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, writteninthestars09 said:

YES it is the flower :)

He became my fave character in the show. I even made my ID after his character after I learned what his name meant - Hee Sung, the Shining Star Writer :D Would you mind sharing your favorite character too? :)

That is too cute! :D There's so many memorable characters, so it's really hard to pick a favorite from the leads to supporting characters. :sweatingbullets: However, Hee Sung is high on my list, and I really enjoyed his character development. I was annoyed with his character in the beginning but I grew to like him more as the series progressed. :heart: BYH did an excellent job in bringing out HS's charms and character to life. :thumbsup: I also enjoyed watching the other leads Eugene Choi, Ae Shin, Gu Dong Mae, and Kudo Hina, and they each made a special impact with their unique story line in Mr. Sunshine. 

Aah u're right. What would have been an informal Korean Wedding like? I'm fairly new to Kdrama and Korean traditions. I'm guessing it would involve traditional paying of respects to their elders or parents and a tea ceremony? 

I only know the Chinese tradition involve paying respects to their elders/parents/relatives and have a tea ceremony. Hoping someone else can chime in about the Korean wedding tradition. ;)

Btw, i cant view the link you posted above. Was there a video of that interview? 

Oh, those are just screen caps...hehe. Thanks to @mistymorning for previously sharing the final BTS links and here they are again. :)

https://tv.naver.com/v/4199476

https://tv.naver.com/v/4199477

14 hours ago, burningpotato said:

In neither country (his or hers) would an actual ceremony have been required. Common law marriage was allowed at the time, too, so a marriage certificate wasn't even really required. They could just declare themselves married, which they did.

I didn't know common law marriage was even a practice in Korea at that time, since they still seemed so traditional (as portrayed by the strong emphasis by Grandpa Go and Hee Sung's parents about marriage).  Thank you @burningpotato for the information as this is good to know. :)

While we are in denial, it looks like Eugene Choi himself is having serious withdrawal symptoms.. :lol: No more MR.SUNSHINE.. the director can now catch up on his nap time. :P

LBH is so goofy, and I'm glad he's been sharing more of the BTS on his instagram to help us viewers cope with the withdrawal!! :D

• Like 5

@kansas424 I saw this GIF last night and thought it was just brilliant! When 1987 meet IRIS. :lol:

October 7, 2018

October Drama Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

Source: Soompi  by E. Cha

October Drama Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

The Korean Business Research Institute has announced this month’s brand reputation rankings for drama actors!

The rankings were determined through a data analysis of the media coverage, participation, interaction, and community indexes of 100 actors who appeared in dramas that aired between September 5 and October 6.

Actress Han Ji Min, who starred in tvN’s recent drama “Familiar Wife,” topped this month’s rankings with a brand reputation index of 8,632,700. High-ranking phrases in her keyword analysis included “Familiar Wife,” “Miss Baek,” and “smoking,” while her highest-ranking related terms included “pretty” and “cute.” Han Ji Min’s positivity-negativity analysis also revealed a score of 79.10 percent positive reactions.

Kim Tae Ri fell one spot to second place this month, scoring a brand reputation index of 8,194,744, while UEE followed at third place with a brand reputation index of 7,842,385.

Check out the top 30 for October below!

1. Han Ji Min
2. Kim Tae Ri
3. UEE
4. Jung In Sun
5. Lee Byung Hun
6. Kim Dong Wook
7. Na Hye Mi
8. ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo
9. EXO’s D.O.
10. So Ji Sub
11. Jung Eun Chae