[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Even the music box-obsessed evil Colonel gets a cartoon version :P

Art by Ruro

September 25, 2018

Im Gwan Soo: Actor Jo Woo Jin To Get Married In October (10/14)

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

Actor Jo Woo Jin To Get Married In October

Jo Woo Jin has announced that he will be tying the knot next month!

On September 25, Jo Woo Jin’s agency Yooborn Company released an official statement confirming rumors of the actor’s engagement to a non-celebrity. The statement also included details about his upcoming wedding in October.

The agency stated, “Actor Jo Woo Jin will be holding his wedding on October 14. The marriage came to fruition through a long history of trust and love that has been built up over time.

“Out of consideration for the non-celebrity bride-to-be and both families, the ceremony will be held privately, with only close friends and family in attendance.

“We ask that you give your warm blessings and support to the future of these two people, who will be creating a happy household of their own. We will also work hard to repay the love and interest you have shown through [Jo Woo Jin’s] good acting. Thank you.”

Jo Woo Jin, who is currently appearing in tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine,” is famous for his role as Secretary Kim in the hit tvN drama “Goblin.”

Congratulations to Jo Woo Jin and his bride-to-be!

Source (1)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

Consecutive post made after 20 hours' gap 

September 23, 2018

"Mr. Sunshine" Will Lee Byung-hun and Yoo Yeon-seok Save Kim Tae-ri?

Source: TV Report via HanCinema.net

photo1003680.jpg

"Mr. Sunshine: Gun, Glory, Sad Ending" was broadcast on the 22nd; it is a director's version of the episodes 1 to 22 of highlights and behind-the-scenes.

A preview was shown at the end of the broadcast. Go Ae-shin and Kudo Hina triggered a bomb at the inn the Japanese soldiers were staying at. They ran away from the explosion, but not far enough.

Eugene (Lee Byung-hun) and Dong-mae (Yoo Yeon-seok) came back for the first time in three years and saw them and worried about their safety.

To make things worse, the Japanese gained power over the Koreans and Yoo-jin pointed his gun with a death glare at someone.

Clip: Mr.Sunshine Netflix

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

September 25, 2018

“Mr. Sunshine” Child Star Go Woorim Says BTS’ J-Hope Is His Favourite Singer

By Yann Magcamit | HELLOKPOP

GO WOORIM IS ONE OF THE MOST ADORABLE CHILD ACTORS IN TOWN – AND HE IS GETTING EVEN MORE ADORABLE IN OUR EYES AS HE TALKS ABOUT HIS FAVOURITE SINGER: J-HOPE OF BTS!

tvN’s Mr. Sunshine is simply one of the grandest and most splendid period dramas ever. Besides its large-scale and elaborate production, the drama also shone thanks to its brilliant cast. However, as magnificent as its adult leads were, the child actors who starred in the show were equally eye-catching – including Go Woorim.

go woorim bts j-hope fan mr. sunshine
Photo from Naver

Go Woorim, who is currently a fifth grade elementary school student, made his acting debut at the age of five. He starred as the younger version of Kim Woo Bin’s character Choi Sung Hoon in Friend 2, which marked his acting debut. You might also remember him as the young Hwang Yoo Cheol in I Am Not A Robot, Chanho in While You Were Sleeping, and the young Han Yi An in Who Are You: School 2015.

The child actor’s most recent project is Mr. Sunshine, where he starred as Do Mi. He visited Ten Asia for the first time to have an interview, and he had shown his charm with his doe eyes and polite manners as he talked about his acting career, schooling, aspirations, and interests.
go woorim bts j-hope fan mr. sunshine

Just like any child, Woorim shows interest in the current pop culture in the country. Despite being calm during the entire interview, his eyes glistened when asked about which singer he liked. He immediately answered without any hesitation, “I like Jung Hoseok [J-Hope’s real name] from BTS”.

“My older brother was constantly listening to this song and when I asked him who sang it, he told me they were BTS. I started to listen to their songs and I started to like it a lot,” the child actor said.

“I really liked his voice. I searched him up and I liked him even more because his face was so cute,” he gushed.

Woorim shared how he plans to focus on school for the meantime after he had missed out on school when he was busy filming for Mr. Sunshine.

“It’s fun to study. Among the subjects, I like Korean because talking and listening are fun. I am also learning a lot about writing and essay writing because teachers are good at writing to me,” he said.

However, this doesn’t mean that he would stop acting, because Woorim still wishes to continue to develop his dream of becoming a successful actor.

“I want to be a famous actor who can act well and impress people,” he shared.

• Like 6

Can someone please tell me if there is a Season 2 planned for this remarkable drama? I fear if no Season 2 is planned then all of the 5 leads will perish in the remaining two episodes which will break my heart.

Btw, I hope the 3 other lead actors (Yoo Yeon-Seok, Kim Min-Jung & Byun Yo-Han) will also be acknowledged by the Korean film industry for their amazing work in Mr. Sunshine.

Thank you to all forum participants for all the insights and especially translations you have provided.

• Like 4

@2b2k Personally, I don't think there will be a Season 2 for MR.SUNSHINE thus the persisting sinking feeling that we might lose one or two or all the fictional key players of the drama, in line with the reality of the history it's based on. However, I might be wrong since the drama was sold to Netflix, who knows what KES and the production have in plan for the future. I just thought it is like the normally normal Korean drama we've seen all year round, it's filmed to air either 16 or 24 or 50 episodes and that's it. Not to mention that the budget was one of the highest, and luckily the drama achieves the desired high ratings and pretty amazing responses despite the earlier hiccup -- the character(s) controversy and petition, etc.

There could be a spin-off but that would mean not all the original cast would be in it. Many of them are movie actors as well, and taking a year off for a drama this magnitude might be quite impossible for them to commit (again).

What will Saturday bring :sweatingbullets:.. it's inevitable something bad and something sad will be a part of it :(..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, rubie said:

@2b2k Personally, I don't think there will be a Season 2 for MR.SUNSHINE thus the persisting sinking feeling that we might lose one or two or all the fictional key players of the drama, in line the reality of the history it's based on. However, I might be wrong since the drama was sold to Netflix, who knows what KES and the production have in plan for the future. I just thought it is like the normally normal Korean drama we've seen all year round, it's filmed to air either 16 or 24 or 50 episodes and that's it. Not to mention that the budget was one of the highest, and luckily the drama achieves the desired high ratings and pretty amazing responses despite the earlier hiccup -- the character(s) controversy and petition, etc.

There could be a spin-off but that would mean not all the original cast would be in it. Many of them are movie actors as well, and taking a year off for a drama this magnitude might be quite impossible for them to commit (again).

What will Saturday bring :sweatingbullets:.. it's inevitable something bad and something sad will be a part of it :(..

Thank you for your insight which sadly makes total sense. This is my first Korean drama so I was uncertain how it works. Plus, I was praying these characters, the incredible scenery, the superb acting by all involved coupled with the complex and moving writing and directing could continue evermore.  But I guess all great stories eventually end and so must this one. I will just treasure the reruns and maybe a spin-off or prequel will occur someday. I think a spin-off idea would be the lives of HN, DM & HS while they were in Japan prior to returning to Joseon. 

• Like 3

Kim NamHee interview, there are so many of them. Translation is done by me, in rough and speedy fashion, so all awkward phrasings/mistakes are mine and mine alone. 

[PopInterview1] 'Mr. Sunshine' Kim Namhee "I can't speak Japanese, and for accented english I memorized the lines by phonetic alphabets"

2018.09.24 AM 8:00 (from http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=201809201817348281003_1)

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20180920

[HeraldPop=Cheon YoonHye Reporter] "I felt that, by performing villain worse, I could make the real history known better"

Are there better scene-stealer out there? Kim Namhee proved his presence strongly thru tvN Sat-Sun drama 'Mr. Sunshine'. He performed the role of Japanese Mori Takashi, who is thru and thru Imperialist, viciously tormented Eugene Choi(LBH), Go Aeshin(KTR) and Joseon People.His acting skills befits the title of natural-born-actor, and amazed viewers. He took the fame as big as main leads for short while and gave strong impression to viewers.

HeraldPop met Kim Name in a cafe on Kyungheegoong rd, Jongro, Seoul. He started his interview with his impression of completion of Mr. Sunshine "It was really different. I didn't do much drama before, but I was able to take part in the great project despite my short career, and I really appreciate it. At the same time it was a heavy burden, so I tried to do my best. I'm happy everything ended well."

"Not many but people starts to recognize me. There are some people who wants to get my sign or photo taken with me. My SNS is also private, but I see more friends recommendation. It's all strange and amazing."

In 'Mr. Sunshine', the part for Kim Namhee wasn't that big. Even with small time allowed, it was Kim NamHee's acting skills that made people recognize him, and made him popular. Viewers who watched him thru drama thought him as a real Japanese, naturally. Kim Namhee responded demurely, "Any other actors/actress would get the same reaction. It's not my acting skill but the power of character and writer who wrote him".

He surprised us by revealing that he doesn't speak any Japanese. "I don't speak any Japanese. I had to learn all the lines and accents. I had Japanese tutor and learned from him. He's also in 'Mr. Sunshine' together. Major Sasaki(Gong Daeyoo) is him, he is 3rd generation Japanese. "

"I had to learn translations and accents of all lines. For Japanese accented english, I got consults from teacher's friend's audio files and listened to it. I wrote down phonetic alphabets and memorized it. "

For difficulties while acting in Japanese, he revealed, "To master one scene, initially it took minimum 1 week. After a while it took 3 to 4 days. (**here is 1 line I don't quite understand what he's saying so I'm omitting it ). I had to start when I had a script, so once I wasn't able to memorize all so shooting stopped. I tried to memorize it all night, but when I tried to act, I couldn't do it. I felt "Shooting stopped because of me". It was real stressful situation, I felt guilty, and burdened."

To make more realistic Mori Takashi, he changed Korean exclamation to Japanese while shooting. "Exclamation is instinctive. Writer doesn't like to change script, but she didn't say anything about this. " Maybe because of his efforts to make Mori Takashi real Japanese, viewers were angered by Mori Takashi in 'Mr. Sunshine'. Kim Namhee had to confront it even thou he was just acting for his role. It could be stressful for him, but Kim Namehee has passion for acting.

"I only thought of character itself because he's such a appealing one. Historically I don't agree with Japan's action. Of course there was difficulties, but I thought I should do this right to let people know about history."

"I felt responsible seeing viewer's reaction watching this drama. My acting may cause anger and rages from adults, but could have impact on friends who don't know the history. Look at how "Eyes of dawn" was shocking. I thought it has educational value too."

"If Takashi did something wrong, it's right for viewers to get angry. In those cases, I felt that people are immersed , and I'm doing things right. But I was sorry when they said "God-riddance!", "Clappings!" when I was dead. I wanted to be in the drama more, but I couldn't any more. " 

Meanwhile, Kim Namhee asked not to hit him if people actually sees him. "A while ago, some young men were watching me while I was having a drink. They were looking at their phones and me, became grim faced. It was fortunate that I was with my male friends, but I felt like they were saying "That's him!" . Haha"

continued to part 2.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

[PopInterview2] Kim Namehee "Going against Lee Byung-Hun, it was really hard to act with feeling of pressure"

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20180922

Kim Namhee confessed moving stories with Lee Byung-Hun.

Kim NamHee awed viewers antagonizing Lee Byung-Hun who starred as Eugene Choi in 'Mr. Sunshine'. It must be difficult to show strong impression against the great actor Lee Byung-Hun. But he was able to portray the vicious Mori Takashi against Lee Byung-Hun.

During the interview with HeraldPop in the cafe, Kim Namhee revealed it was stressful for doing scenes with Lee Byung-Hun.

"I was very afraid of acting against Lee Byung-Hun sunbaenim. But I shouldn't show it as a character, so tried to not let it show. It was really difficult hiding that feeling."

"Before acting together this time, I only knew Lee Byung-Hun sunbaenim as a star, but acting up-close and exchanging lines with him i realized that he loves acting and very passionate about it. " Kim Namhee talked about Lee Byung-Hun and thanked him. 

"Frankly I couldn't really say 'one more time' to director even if I didn't like the scene I did. But sunbaenim asked me before i said something and if I wanted to do it one more time, he told director for me. To someone like me, it was a big deal and i was really thankful. "

"Sunbaenim said 'The character Takashi is really appealing, I would like to do it too. I consider Takashi attractive when he shows some lackings. ' 'Try not to be serious character always.' but at the same time he said. 'Be confident, it's ok because the character is a real villain' . After a scene was done, he would pat my shoulder and show me thumb-up. He was really encouraging and someone I could rely on."

He died suddenly even though he showed such presence opposing Lee Byung-Hun. We all thought he'll torment Lee Byung-Hun and Righteous army to the last episode. Kim Namehee said. "I didn't know when I get to die either. It was a surprise and sadness for me when I died in episode 21. " "But frankly speaking now I can say I'm sad, but back then i didn't have time to feel it because it took so long to prepare for 1 scene. Time wasn't enough always. But last shooting was meaningful to me. "I'm done here" .

"I liked the ending. Only thing is that i wanted to torture main leads more but I died too early."

He said if he can take part again in this drama, he would like to do the role of Gojong(Emperor of Korea). "He seems to be an interesting character. Very mixed feeling about him. There's weakness that he as a king, cannot defend his country, and the agony because of it would be very fascinating, that's why I want to do Gojong if I can choose."

'Mr. Sunshine' has Righteous Army who sacrificed themselves to defend the country, but there are also villains who's fetching Joseon to the darkness. one of them is Mori Takashi by Kim Namhee. Then who would be the worst character in 'Mr. Sunshine' for Kim Namhee?

"For me it's Lee Wanyong. I want Lee Wanyong to watch this drama. Takashi and Japanese are doing their best for their country, but those Joseon people who helped them were really bad. "

"Drama deals with sensitive topics and based on history. There could be some people who feels ashamed. I want them to have a moment to regret watching this drama. And for majority of viewers, I want them to realize the presence of RA in our history. Back then, it wasn't King or military but commoners. I feels that it's the same now too. It's us commoners who need to protect the country. This may be too grandiose speak, and best thing is just to laugh and cry watching this drama. " He seems real proud being part of this drama.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

[PopInterview 3] 'Drama Goblin, leads me to 'Mr Sunshine' 

Kim Namhee mentioned tvn 'Goblin' a project right before tvN 'Mr Sunshine'.

Viewers may know him as Mori Takashi in 'Mr. Sunshine' now, but he appeared as minor role in KES's last drama 'Goblin'. Now that he got popular in 'Mr Sunshine', people made clips of his scene in 'Goblin'. People realized he was that doctor from 'Goblin', and amazed by his acting.

"Because of the Gobin, I got a call for audition. Honestly, it's risque for director. Back then, I didn't just audition for Takashi but did other roles too. I think that audition was to see whether i can do minor role like 'Goblin' or something more."

Kim Namhee did the role of a doctor who died tending his patients. It was a minor role, but to give him call for audition may mean that he left quite an impression to production company?

"It wasn't a big role in Goblin. I was really nervous shooting, but heard something like 'wasn't bad in real shooting'. The current company was also after Goblin. I'm thankful to that drama. "

Kim Namhee appeared in subsequent PD LEB and writer KES projects, and his part is getting bigger. There are some group of supporting actors/actresses who shows up KES dramas frequently, some considers Kim Namhee as one of them too. But Kim Namhee denied it. "I don't think that way. I told writer "I want to do next project too" but writer avoided answer. So I didn't think that way. "

Kim Namhee left strong impression thru 'Mr Sunshine'. It is a happy event for an actor to receive such love, but it could make picking next project harder due to image from this drama. "I don't worry about that too much. People may thinks of me as Takashi, but then I need to show I'm not Takashi in next project. I should be that character, so that people say 'That was Takashi?"  instead. Haha"

"But this character was a bloody villain, so I hope for not so much of villain in next project."

The future Kim Namhee dreams is simple but very honorable one for actor. "I want to be an actor who really acts well. Even just doing one project, I want to leave a strong impression by acting well  in good project. Thru 'Mr. Sunshine', I want to be an actor for Japanese role for 10 or 20 years. If young juniors can refer my acting as how to act like Japanese, it'll be big achievement for me."

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

One more interview with Kim Namhee, our beloved(?) villain.

'Mr. Sunshine' Kim Namhee "Practicing Takashi thru watching Choo Sunghoon... Want to be an actor with proven acting skill."

(from http://m.kmib.co.kr/view.asp?arcid=0012708500&code=61181811&sid1=ent)

"It must be a risky move for director. To give a chance to me, who doesn't speak Japanese nor never in a big role, it's a chance one never heard of"

Gamble was successful. We're talking about the actor Kim Namhee(32) who did the role of Japanese Colonel/nobleman 'Mori Takashi' in tvN drama 'Mr Sunshine'. His character with fluent Japanese/awkward Korean - even the blood vessle in his temple seems to be terrifying -  made him popular and viewers thought him as a real Japanese.

But in reality, he didn't look like someone with wicked laugh after he killed Hongpa. He was smiling free and easy when we met him in Kukminilbo building in Yeodo, Seoul. "I'm glad I portrayed a villain really evil way."

611818110012708500_2.jpg

'Mr Sunshine' tells us history of Righteous Army in Hanseung in early 20th century. Kim Namhee explained that because Takashi represented the cruelty of imperial Japan, he tried to show it real. One of them is how he speaks. 'Gong Daeyoo, who was Major Sasaki in the drama was my Japanese teacher."  "For Korean words, I broken down all words syllable by syllable to show Japanese accent and then memorized it. For Japanese, started from memorizing words/sentences/accents, added acting on it and repeated it indefinitely."

"In the beginning, the script was all in Japanese, but later Korean lines were added, which made it more complicated. I need to find the pronunciations where Japanese will not be able to pronounce in Korean. I was able to find solution from athelete Choo Sunghoon(Korean Japanese). I watched all his talk show appearance with him and his daughter. Also, on youtube, there are lectures by Japanese native teachers, I listened their Korean instead of Japanese.(laugh)"

He spent one month in Japan with a friend who lives there, after he got confirmed for role of Takashi in July, to perform Mori Takashi better. On the drama site, he got helps from Lee Byung-Hun (Eugene Choi).

"Sunbaenim showed Takashi character he analyzed, and showed his acting of this character. He gave me really helping advise , to use various expressions like laughing, serious face, and other expressions. When I felt the scene wasn't satisfying, he caught it before I said anything, came to me to ask about it, being very caring."

"I'm a bit wimpy" "Because I want to act well, I get stressed and burdened easily." The early morning he had to shoot the intense reappearance scene, he had to go emergency room. "Maybe due to stress, I got stomach cramps and had to get a shot. I wasn't able to eat anything til shooting the scene. " "If you look at the scene when I was on horse to meet Lee Byung-Hun sunbaenim again, dark circle around my eyes were really bad. If that made the scene more intense, it's fortunate."

Chance visit to acting school on his way to high school made him majored acting in college. He started as a theatre actor, debuted in the movie 'Ode to youth'(2013), left strong impression as a stalker of 'Mindle'(Jang Seuhee) in drama 'Big sister is alive'. In 'Gobin', he did minor role as emergency doctor who died of overwork. To our question of what he dreams as an actor, he answered "A man who's happy when he's acting".

"I want to be an actor who usually look easy going, but look like a different person when he's in the role. I think people who needs to act to live, who finds happiness when he acts are like that. Some may worry about not losing the image of Takashi in other roles, I want to surprise people in next project that "That was Takashi?".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other sweet interviews, where Kim talked about his girl friend and now his wife he just married, who supported him since he was in college. Korean fans had been complaining why he's not doing interviews, but he did so many since his return from honeymoon :). He was doing small roles for long, I'm glad he got a break in this drama. And he deserves it!

Also, I want to watch LBH acting Takashi. Hope there is a making for that. Tehe.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Eugene & Ae Shin's deleted scene from the special segment. Wasn't this the time after EC told AS that he was a slave, they were kinda 'distant' for awhile.. or was it after the incident that AS was ordered to shoot EC?? Anyway.. if the scene had been included, EC would probably saw that AS was talking to Soo Mi on the street.. or if near enough, would he have seen how DM was abusing SM that he got slapped by AS.  If EC had seen all these beforehand, it won't be much of a secret shared between AS & SM to tell after that. Well, just a thought while waiting.. and still waiting.. for Saturday to come.

The longing GIFS may take awhile to load 176.gif

mrsun_sp_01.gif

Spoiler

mrsun_sp_02.gif

Spoiler

mrsun_sp_03.gif

Spoiler

mrsun_sp_04.gif

Spoiler

mrsun_sp_05.gif

mrsun_sp_06.gif

• Like 6

Text preview for episode 23..  is such a non-preview, but here it is.

Eugene and Dongmae found Aeshin and Hina among the blazing explosion.

Cruel fate befalls on those 2 men coming back to hellish Joseon...

'Please let her live, just for that, I'll go like wind"

2.5 more days to go!

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Text preview for episode 23..  is such a non-preview, but here it is.

Eugene and Dongmae found Aeshin and Hina among the blazing explosion.

'Please let her live, just for that, I'll go like wind"

2.5 more days to go!

As always, thanks for the synopsis.

That second line is making me nervous.

Edit: I hope you keep a lookout for the synopsis of E24 too. I am really curious to see how they word it.

• Like 7

Now that filming has ended and officially opened for sightseeing, there have been a lot of IG sharing of fans/public visiting the Sunshine Land (Sunshine Studios) to see the open set of the drama. Some pages back @cynkdf has highlighted the VisitKorea page.

Source: VisitKorea @KoreanTravel

Remake Your Own “Mr. Sunshine” Drama at Nonsan Sunshine Land

“I’m done thinking. Let’s. Become a couple” A weekend drama, Mr. Sunshine, starring Lee Byunghun and Kim Taeri, have been getting a lot of attention lately. With drama’s popularity, film location “Nonsan Sunshine Land” is also receiving attention. 

Nonsan Sunshine Land reflects the city of Nonsan, which is known for its military basic training facilities, with VR military game experience, screen shooting range, and an indoor shooting program. The replica of 1950s street of Seoul completes the attraction, making it a popular venue for visitors. 

Next to the Sunshine Land, “Sunshine Studio”, where the shooting of drama Mr. Sunshine was held, will be open to public sometime after the drama ends on September 23. Take a trip down to Nonsan on a clear autumn day and relive the scenes from the drama.

More Info 

Remake Your Own “Mr. Sunshine” Drama at Nonsan Sunshine Land 

☞ Operating hours: 9:00 - 18:00 (Nov. – Feb. 9:00 - 17:00). Closed every Mon. and New Year's Day 
☞ Address: 102, Bonghwang-ro, Nonsan-si, Chungcheongnam-do (충남 논산시 연무읍 봉황로 102) 
☞ Direction: From Yeonmudae Express Bus Terminal Bus Stop take Bus No. 201 or 216 to Hwanghwa 4-ri Bus 
    Stop. Walk approx. 5 min. to Nonsan Sunshine Land 
☞ Fee: VR experience- 15,000 won / Screen• Indoor shooting range- 2,000 won / Drama•Film Set- Free
    ※ Entry to the set might be limited on the day of shooting 
☞ Main programs: VR experience within Military Experience Center, screen shooting range, indoor shooting 
    range, drama•movie film set
☞ Inquiries: +82-41-746-8480 (Korean Only) 
☞ Website: www.nonsan.go.kr (Korean Only) 
☞ 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai,
     Malay)
Information courtesy of Nonsan Sunshine Land and Nonsan City Hall

Lots of photos shared by Ruro who went to see the filming location/open set with MR.SUNSHINE caricatures. :lol:

Fans going to MR.SUNSHINE Land, do share your thoughts & pics here. th_pwettybunny.gif
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2