[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

Just watched these clips and it hurts soo much to see JM like this. She doesn't know what love is and she's feeling it and it's hurting her. :bawling: I am really looking forward these next couple episodes until the ending.

Spoiler

Credit to youtube owner Xu Jiye

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I think that old demon guy will probably help Phoenix take over the demon realm. He was also at his wedding.

The mask guy can create weapons that can kill an immortal so he'll probably be useful towards the end with the war with the immortals. I have a feeling the monster that the Heavenly duchebag emperor released earlier will make another appearance cuz didn't he let him go again after Phoenix and gang captured him?!

Episode 12-13 was the episode that previously hits 1.503 on csm52.

Hi hi. I haven't been on Soompi in ages!!! :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wotad said:

Were you the one subbing the show before viki?

If we are thinking about the same subs, then no. I saw those initial subs - I would never mistake a magpie for a crow :D.

Okay, off into translation tangent-land: I actually agonised over whether to translate 烏鴉/wu ya into crow or raven. I doubt it matters to viewers whether it's a magpie, crow, or raven (they are in the same family after all), but it would drive the translator in me crazy. The most difficult is Jin Mi's pet name for Xu Feng, "Ya Ya". There is a world of tonal affection in that pet name, especially the way Yang Zi says it.  I even imagine Jin Mi's last words to Xu Feng as "farewell my Ya Ya". It was an interesting hunt to find the best word to capture the same affection Ya Ya conveys. All I could find was 'Crowie' (an Australian hotel name). 

3 hours ago, Yui. said:

I really like how PuChi Jun...ss until that love line.

So do I. He is like the Fun Fun Guy with a dash of the odd integrity. When Jin Mi was in mortal realm to play, the Puchi Jun, Run Yu and Xu Feng run in was so fun to watch.

I also find the demon princess Liu Ying stands out - I think this is due to Chen Yuqi's ability to affect genuine heroic airs. And for some reason, I really like the costume/armour tailor made for her. Apparently even the ponytail design is supposed to be a match for her stature and costume. Despite her filler role, she stands out. I think I'm trying to see how she will do as Zhao Min. She looks like a Zhao Min as Liu Ying. Hoho...Zhao Min and Mie Jue are both in Ashes of Love. I'm expecting Zhang Wuji to save everyone at the end with Qian Kun Da Nuo Yi.

New BTS:

[Talking part starting from 0.23]

Yang Zi: If we as humans were rounded up as food, we would definitely sell for a high price. I feel you're quite well built. Lots of meat! I am a fatty waist :lol:. You are lean [meat]. 
Dun Lun: Your [meat] is worth money.
Yang Zi: Why?
Dun Lun: My [meat] is touch. Lean meat is not worth much. 
Narrator: A connoisseur!
Dun Lun: I'll be tough to bite.
Yang Zi: If we both get caught, then I'll get eaten first. But I'll drag you with me!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nudafu said:

based on some flash scenes, it looks like the series might flesh out Xu Feng's 'repenting' period after Jin Mi dies. This would work well to emphasis the tragedy of what happens. 

I live for the male lead pinning for his love.

I really think the person we see Xu Feng marrying is Jin Mi. Well, I sincerely hope so. I picture the 'can't go back' scene is shortly after the wedding. Then the war. Ala, Helen of Troy set up.

My watch time has slowed down considerably. I watch in batches now. I still spoil myself with the previews but I stopped watching raw.

Last week I was like bring the angst, that's my favorite part.

This week I'm like too painful, too painful.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

I really think the person we see Xu Feng marrying is Jin Mi. Well, I sincerely hope so. I picture the 'can't go back' scene is shortly after the wedding. Then the war. Ala, Helen of Troy set up.

I still can't decide who is under that black bridal veil. I hope it is Jin Mi too, but that would make the dynamics really weird. Extra angst - Xu Feng being hot and cold as a husband to Jin Mi in conflicted revenge. Xu Feng actually marrying Sui He is all sorts of wrong though. This would mirror his father too much. 

Ha, "Helen of Troy set up". I can see that. Xu Feng even favours archery.

• Like 5

I think I am biased due to having read the novel. I can never think that Night deserves Jin Mi but I really feel for Night in the drama. He was so wronged and misled by the very people who should have loved him and cherished him, so sad for him. 

• Like 3

TV ratings went down yesterday and douban ratings also went down. Kind of expected since fans are super angry. 

Production released a statement but fans are still unhappy.  

Right now the problem is that the wedding still wont be today. Why are they taking so long? It is ridiculous. :expressionless: I just want XF to become Demon Lord already. 

As for who will marry XF, I dont know. It does look like SH to me. Theories I saw was that he is doing the ceremony with SH and JM stops it or that he is doing the ceremony with SH and he imagines he is marrying JM. 

1 hour ago, ElleSor said:

I think I am biased due to having read the novel. I can never think that Night deserves Jin Mi but I really feel for Night in the drama. He was so wronged and misled by the very people who should have loved him and cherished him, so sad for him. 

yeah they do make him seem more pitiful in the drama, someone was saying something along the lines of: "this is the story of Red Riding Hood where the poor wolf has been starving for days and he is just so hungry he has no choice but to eat the grandma and try to eat Red Riding Hood. We have to understand the poor wolf." Kind of sarcastic but it fits since you can tell a tale from different perspective and change how a character is seen. 

• Like 2

I skip 2 eps today .... why so long eps to make fenghuang being a demon lord .... all i see is more night scene in each eps ... they should just change the main lead if want make him take more screen time ... i just want see my CP more not him :angry:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

24 minutes ago, yufen chung said:

I skip 2 eps today .... why so long eps to make fenghuang being a demon lord .... all i see is more night scene in each eps ... they should just change the main lead if want make him take more screen time ... i just want see my CP more not him :angry:

IKR!!! Night had so much scenes. I just don't feel the love between Feng Hua & Jin Mi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yufen chung said:

Like most people today... I skipped the episodes too.

As a book fan, this is a tad too much :ph34r:

I can sense the obvious biasness the scriptwriter has for the 2nd male lead in the lastest 4 episodes. Like they had to explain his entire backstory , trauma, vengeance, train of thoughts, his wits etc while my leads get none of those. 

:ph34r: I should have known something is awfully wrong when they gave the scene of XF shielding JM from his mothers' attacks to RY.

It's okay, I'll use my imagination to fill in my poorly fleshed out leads. :w00t:

Edit: and I'm really disappointed that they're removing the 3 years of flirting (which later turn into backstabbing) between JM & FH after Water god's death. This is the highlight of the book for me. The reason why the stabbing/betrayal was so sad and the reason why FH barge in on the wedding. :heartbreak:

On top of that, they also removed the part where FH had the upper hand in apprehending RY during the wedding. I always liked the fact that the only reason why FH lost that night was because he lost to JM. Now they're making it seem like the power between FH & RY has always been equal. -_-

Where's my Fire god's suaveness in the book. :tears:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, paperwishes said:

I can sense the obvious biasness the scriptwriter has for the 2nd male lead in the lastest 4 episodes. Like they had to explain his entire backstory , trauma, vengeance, train of thoughts, his wits etc while my leads get none of those. 

:ph34r: I should have known something is awfully wrong when they gave the scene of XF shielding JM from his mothers' attacks to RY.

It's okay, I'll use my imagination to fill in my poorly fleshed out leads. :w00t:

Nah is not just you... i got that point to ... why should night shield jinmi not fenghuang is to weird .... i understand they need some backstory for night from being devil but please do it in proportionally so the viewer will not complain.... and why they do that when CP on human realm arc ... at that moment there screen time become less and less ....

• Like 2

I feel like the changes they made in the drama was to make it consistent with the character change they gave JinMi e.g. her obsession for lingli being due to the death of RouRou. In the novel she was even more of an air-head and 100% did not know about love or affection from friends, let alone romantic love towards XuFeng - her only motive was lingli. But here, after the mortal trial, she really did realise her love for XuFeng. If they continued like this, the wedding scene would never happen and it wouldve been happy ever after right there and then. Therefore, Night is stepping up his evil-ness to break our lovely couple apart, more so than in the novel, which gives him more screen time. 

I think it's a bit unfair that fans are boycotting the drama just because of a few extra episodes..... because to be fair, it is 60 episodes for a novel that only had around 20 chapters. The drama even includes more sweet moments that didnt happen in the novel. However, saying that, i havent been watching the full raw episodes anymore either and just watching clips of our couple :sweatingbullets:

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, paperwishes said:

Edit: and I'm really disappointed that they're removing the 3 years of flirting (which later turn into backstabbing) between JM & FH after Water god's death. This is the highlight of the book for me. The reason why the stabbing/betrayal was so sad and the reason why FH barge in on the wedding. :heartbreak:

On top of that, they also removed the part where FH had the upper hand in apprehending RY during the wedding. I always liked the fact that the only reason why FH lost that night was because he lost to JM. Now they're making it seem like the power between FH & RY has always been equal. -_-

I agree!! And another part that got me was when the Phoenix hair pin fell out of her hair. She picked it up herself Bc she remembered how important it is to XF when he gave it to her (meaning early on she cares and values him, or maybe I'm just a fan stuck in OTP land). But in the drama, RY picks it up and then JM well goes along the novel line of keeping the hair pin Bc she doesn't want to return Ling li 

• Like 3

@jhennny99 i think i understand what want you to say about this being unfair for the boycotting... but to honest after human realm arc the story lost the track and to much unnecessary storytelling ... yeah the novel is just short novel and to make for 60 eps is paint in the ash for sure ... they changed xufeng character to much from smart, cool bird being a dumb bird who always fall the trap from the enemy .... also today eps 42 and 43 so not make shane how shui he can kill wind goddess so easily...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, paperwishes said:

Yeah I agree with everything. 

One of the reasons fans are extra upset is bc the screenwriter bias. There is a chat going around with the screenwriter and someone says something about there should be a drama just about RY and the screenwriter was like good idea. So fans are fuming. 

I always find it kind of ridiculous that screenwriters are given a source material and they just need to adapt it but they try to make it a different story. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, jehnnny99 said:

I feel like the changes they made in the drama was to make it consistent with the character change they gave JinMi e.g. her obsession for lingli being due to the death of RouRou. In the novel she was even more of an air-head and 100% did not know about love or affection from friends, let alone romantic love towards XuFeng - her only motive was lingli. But here, after the mortal trial, she really did realise her love for XuFeng. If they continued like this, the wedding scene would never happen and it wouldve been happy ever after right there and then. Therefore, Night is stepping up his evil-ness to break our lovely couple apart, more so than in the novel, which gives him more screen time. 

I think it's a bit unfair that fans are boycotting the drama just because of a few extra episodes..... because to be fair, it is 60 episodes for a novel that only had around 20 chapters. The drama even includes more sweet moments that didnt happen in the novel. However, saying that, i havent been watching the full raw episodes anymore either and just watching clips of our couple :sweatingbullets:

Unfortunately... clips of our couple in teasers is pretty much 90% of their screentime in the episodes :tears:. Which is why... I'm no longer watching things on livestream and just waiting for clips now. :crazy:

My issue has never been Night stepping up his evilness but the awfully detailed justification/explanation the drama goes through to ensure Night's image is 'upright'. I have no issues with side characters being fleshed out as long as our mains gets it too. Maybe (this is me being positive), our leads will get it in the remaining 20 episodes -_-.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, yufen chung said:

@jhennny99 i think i understand what want you to say about this being unfair for the boycotting... but to honest after human realm arc the story lost the track and to much unnecessary storytelling ... yeah the novel is just short novel and to make for 60 eps is paint in the ash for sure ... they changed xufeng character to much from smart, cool bird being a dumb bird who always fall the trap from the enemy .... also today eps 42 and 43 so not make shane how shui he can kill wind goddess so easily...

I understand the anger from the fans too and I won't justify the amount of screentime RunYu gets because I also do agree that it's excessive, heck even the other side characters like the demon princess who was basically non-existent in the novel is getting as much screentime as our leads. I just hope after the wedding scene it'll just be about JinMi and XuFeng to make up for the 20 or so episodes of side character backstories.:confused:

I'm only saying fans lowering the ratings will negatively affect our actors and actresses as well, who are doing a great job acting their roles, because I do want another drama with YangZi and DengLun and the success of this drama will definitely help with that. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

Yeah I agree with everything. 

One of the reasons fans are extra upset is bc the screenwriter bias. There is a chat going around with the screenwriter and someone says something about there should be a drama just about RY and the screenwriter was like good idea. So fans are fuming. 

I always find it kind of ridiculous that screenwriters are given a source material and they just need to adapt it but they try to make it a different story. 

Spoiler

One of the screenwriters is the author herself. And yes, the author has sung highpraises, support for RY on her weibo & interview multiple times. This is what that further upsets me u-u. As an author, even if you lost interest in your main characters, you should still keep your fans in mind and not do changes like diluting your male lead key scenes to justify the character that you liked.

:tears: Thankfully, I have the book the hold onto. I wonder what do viewers that did not read the book think about the current way things are progressing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, paperwishes said:

Unfortunately... clips of our couple in teasers is pretty much 90% of their screentime in the episodes :tears:. Which is why... I'm no longer watching things on livestream and just waiting for clips now. :crazy:

My issue has never been Night stepping up his evilness but the awfully detailed justification/explanation the drama goes through to ensure Night's image is 'upright'. I have no issues with side characters being fleshed out as long as our mains gets it too. Maybe (this is me being positive), our leads will get it in the remaining 20 episodes -_-.

I understand I understand :tears: I'm sorry for my awfully selfish comment it's just that I really don't want this drama to flop after all the hard-work the actors, actresses, costume designers, graphic designers etc put in all because of some screenwriter's bias. :bawling:

I want to see our cute couple on screen too - I'm even looking forward to the upcoming angst-y scenes that's how desperate I am!!! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jehnnny99 said:

I understand the anger from the fans too and I won't justify the amount of screentime RunYu gets because I also do agree that it's excessive, heck even the other side characters like the demon princess who was basically non-existent in the novel is getting as much screentime as our leads. I just hope after the wedding scene it'll just be about JinMi and XuFeng to make up for the 20 or so episodes of side character backstories.:confused:

I'm only saying fans lowering the ratings will negatively affect our actors and actresses as well, who are doing a great job acting their roles, because I do want another drama with YangZi and DengLun and the success of this drama will definitely help with that. 

I fully understand that the actors did their best with what's given to them. Despite how I dislike the way the show is giving too much justification to Night's actions. I do like the actor for Night. Although the actress for Suihe is pretty much my favourite :lol: Her weibo posts are just adorable. I'll probably re pick the livestream after the wedding.

Honestly, the only thing that keeps me going on... Is Yang zi and Deng lun's interaction behind the scenes. :w00t:  

• Like 2
  • LOL 2