[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

38 minutes ago, Allison Lim said:

Hello! everyone! I was just a silent reader for a while in this forum. But, now, I wanna say hi to you all and discuss about our current obsession, this drama obviously. I have a question for now. Hope someone will answer it. After jin mi killed xu feng, I heard that he'll become demon lord. But, will his true form still be a phoenix/fire immortal?? Or will he really become a demon?? For this tragedy, I could only blame on their parents, not just Heavenly empress and emperor, but also on jin mi's mother and run yu's mother.

Spoiler

Yes.  He is still Phoenix.  But all that undying love he had for JM now turns to a great hatred due to misunderstanding and manipulations of SH and RY and the unfeeling pill being repaired which caused his lover to betray and murder him in cold blood.  Yes it is true when the saying goes.  A thin line between love and hate.  But don't you worry, what doesn't kill him only makes him stronger.  He only becomes the Great One in the demon realm. So the same short temper, loves hard, one woman man is still our XF.  But this is based on novel, not sure how the drama will play it out.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sary Em said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yes.  He is still Phoenix.  But all that undying love he had for JM now turns to a great hatred due to misunderstanding and manipulations of SH and RY and the unfeeling pill being repaired which caused his lover to betray and murder him in cold blood.  Yes it is true when the saying goes.  A thin line between love and hate.  But don't you worry, what doesn't kill him only makes him stronger.  He only becomes the Great One in the demon realm. So the same short temper, loves hard, one woman man is still our XF.  But this is based on novel, not sure how the drama will play it out.

Who is RY's mom?

I wont even look at that preview bc :bawling:

Anyways a lot of controversy regarding screen time for the leads right now. Someone actually calculated their screen time in the past few episodes and it adds up to less than 10 minutes. Book fans are really mad at the screenwriter. Seems like they are mainly angry that there is too much screen time for RY.

edit: some are saying the drama should be name Run Yu Chuan :lol:, someone working at douban even added that to alternative titles :lol::lol:

I feel like I have seen fans angry about this before in other adaptations and like I said a few days ago one of the major screenwriters really likes to give supporting characters a lot of screen time. I dont know why they always do this since they know fans are going to be mad. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

Ratings yesterday were back to 1.5% again. I also saw that there are going to be 63 TV episodes, it has to do with how they cut the TV episodes for ads and recaps. So still the same content, 60 DVD episodes. 

It has never hit 1.5% so that is its peak ;p

YZ#2

DL#5

LYX#10

Not even trying but spied some stuff happening today and I think they made Night much more evil in the drama. 

> 6.3 billion

I think it should  reach 10 billion while airing or get close. It is doing about 350-360 million views per day. 

What site is this on?

4 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

I wont even look at that preview bc :bawling:

Anyways a lot of controversy regarding screen time for the leads right now. Someone actually calculated their screen time in the past few episodes and it adds up to less than 10 minutes. Book fans are really mad at the screenwriter. 

I feel like I have seen fans angry about this before in other adaptations and like I said a few days ago one of the major screenwriters really likes to give supporting characters a lot of screen time. I dont know why they always do this since they know fans are going to be mad. 

wow that is pretty terrible screen time ;p seems they just wanted filler?

6994937cly1fuckwsc8rhj223u35sb2a.jpg

this guy so cute tbh

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hot_hot1975 said:

Spoiler

RY mom is a koi fish (in the novel). In the drama, she's a dragon fish 龙鱼 princess (not sure if that's the same thing, my Chinese isn't that good). The heaven emperor didn't marry her and didn't even know she was pregnant. She hid the birth RY from the heavens and only her father and brother knew 

• Thanks 2

The one thing I will never understand is, why do directors/producers/scriptwriters think that the viewers want to see the supporting cast 99.99% of the time? A majority of the time we're watching it for the main lead couple. I literally skimmed through 80% of the mortal arc episodes because that's how much screen time the side characters have. I mean, those scenes were good and informational but seriously, I just wanted to see more of XF and JM. There's rarely any scenes of these two. I swear I see Night all the time. I really couldn't careless about him at the moment. 

Oh, and while everyone is pitying Night, I couldn't help it but to think that his mother is more pitiful than him. I will agree that it was sad that he lost his mother right when they were about to come back as a family. I also agree that it's not his fault for plotting against both his father and the empress but to take it out on both XF and JM also is just straight up wrong. 

• Like 8

No more video subtitling -_-. In the online environment now, after a lot of wasted time and aggravation, I've worked out that there are really only 2 options for sharing drama-related content: be fabulously wealthy so I can buy media licenses or volunteer for services like Viki. Anything in between means toeing copyright infringement or using video hosting sites loaded with adware. Being creative and doing the right thing while very tough, are still worthwhile standards to follow.

17 hours ago, Allison Lim said:

RE: Xu Feng's phoenix/fire immortal vs demonhood.

In the rules for the 'universe' imagined in Ashes of Love, it seems nothing ever changes the 'true body'. So, don't think Xu Feng changed from his firebird nature. The emphasis on the true body in that a being's true and original nature is unchangeable, is consistent with Daoist themes featured in the language of the novel and series. The true nature worked as the 'DNA test' when they were trying to prove who was Jin Mi's father (Emperor checked and discovered Jin Mi to be a 6 petalled frost flower). This 'proof' worked because if Jin Mi was the Emperor's daughter, there would be some element of fire in her true body. Because Jin Mi was a water-water elemental, she could only have been the Water God (water) and Flower Goddess' (water flower) daughter. The elemental also seems to be part of the unchangeable true body (for the nerdy: think Mendel and autosomal dominance :D). So that further supports that neither the bird or fire part of Xu Feng changes. 

A related aside: something that never changes has great meaning. I loved how this was creatively used as the gift that Jin Mi gives to Xu Feng before the break-up. A token to represent a promise is usually shared between lovers in the form of a piece of jade or hairpiece in period dramas. Jin Mi literally breaks a petal off her frost flower body and transforms it as a token to give to Xu Feng. (I loved how they imagined this in the CGI effect).

G5I9F1a.png

As it is unique only to Jin Mi and a true nature never changes, this is a lovely expression of unchanging love and commitment to forever. And yes, the ironic turn of events which follows makes the moment (seen in trailers) when Jin Mi crushes that flower-token in her hands all the more sad. 

I think Xu Feng becoming a demon is more about personality change rather than a change in his true nature. It is a major upheaval in intent and thought after being stabbed by the love of his life. Fair enough.

12 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

RE: Run Yu 

Because I've been experimenting with splicing videos to find OTP scenes, I can really see how limited time they get. Run Yu certainly seems to be the star of the show at the moment. (I have no problem with that, because it likely means the leads get to rest or sleep in production reality). I have a feeling the writing crew are toeing the fine line of showcasing Run Yu as a believable villain vs OTP development. It needs to be done because the Big Bad has been the Empress of Heaven, and villain #2 needs to really standout to convince us that Run Yu is more important than simply there to fill in a role to continue the story. There will be a lot of emotion involved in the Demon Realm part, so Run Yu needs to establish weight to create an equal conflict for the Run Yu-Jin Mi-Xu Feng triangle. Otherwise, it would be too OTP intense, and the final showdown between Run Yu and Xu Feng wouldn't have such an impact. Players on an equal footing always give the best volleys. Jin Mi probably may not agree as the ball in between. 

10 hours ago, clawedzip said:

Wow, the previews for tomorrow's episodes are crazy intense...much more intense than the novel version of the Water God's death.

Yep. I also found Jin Mi's death in the Demon Realm rather anti-climatic in the novel. I hope that that scene is also done with justice. But yah, there is only so much time a gal can talk when disappearing into nothing. 

On that note, based on some flash scenes, it looks like the series might flesh out Xu Feng's 'repenting' period after Jin Mi dies. This would work well to emphasis the tragedy of what happens. For I don't necessarily think Jin Mi's death to be the ultimate tragedy. It is that he missed all those chances to spend in happiness with Jin Mi. Xu Feng chose not to listen, interestingly, like Jin Mi not listening to him now. He chose to retaliate instead of forgive. For that, he missed the last time he could've spent with Jin Mi. Now that is the tragedy - to wait until regret makes you realise you could've done differently and better. This is not in criticism of Xu Feng's character. It is actually an extremely interesting character development to watch - repenting heroes make for compelling ones. As evidenced by Rurouni Kenshin popularity :D.

• Like 6

it reached 1.5% before, that was the second time. 

I think it is on more than one site and that iQIYi is one of them

http://www.chinesedrama.info/2017/11/drama-heavy-sweetness-ash-like-frost.html

Has not hit 1.5% before.

3 hours ago, rose_loves_ice said:

The one thing I will never understand is, why do directors/producers/scriptwriters think that the viewers want to see the supporting cast 99.99% of the time? A majority of the time we're watching it for the main lead couple. I literally skimmed through 80% of the mortal arc episodes because that's how much screen time the side characters have. I mean, those scenes were good and informational but seriously, I just wanted to see more of XF and JM. There's rarely any scenes of these two. I swear I see Night all the time. I really couldn't careless about him at the moment. 

Oh, and while everyone is pitying Night, I couldn't help it but to think that his mother is more pitiful than him. I will agree that it was sad that he lost his mother right when they were about to come back as a family. I also agree that it's not his fault for plotting against both his father and the empress but to take it out on both XF and JM also is just straight up wrong. 

They dont think that but they need some fillers ;p 

43 minutes ago, Nudafu said:

Were you the one subbing the show before viki?

Also can someone tell me how strong is JM on the show like how does she compare to XF 

On 8/23/2018 at 5:45 AM, mrsyooknit said:

Night is kind of not redeemable to me. At least if the drama keeps going by the book. I mean the only actually selfless nice thing he does is give XF the paintings JM made of him. I think he found some sort of inner peace by the epilogue. I have been seeing a lot of comments on how Night has the right personality to be an Emperor like scheming, backstabbing, etc. So that he was destined to be Emperor while XF was more of the give up everything for love type of guy. In the end, Night ends up being a lot like the current Emperor in what he did in order to reach the throne. 

I wouldn't mind a side story with Night and how he redeems himself in some sort of way. While I do think his actions towards XF and JM are 100% wrong. I also think he realized a bit that he was wrong after JM jumped in front of XF and that is why he let them be at the end. So it would be interesting for them to show him doing something to redeem himself. But if I were XF or JM, I would still never want to see him again. 

Epilogue/Drama spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

I saw this pic online which means that they are probably going to end on that epilogue. 

97dece504fc2d5620f4f8a8aec1190ef77c66c7c

9c5185a20cf431adbd95195e4036acaf2fdd987c

9c1d16166d224f4a1d35297402f790529922d10b

I think this is the same river in the underworld and they are just going to add some CGI. Thoughts?

d8c23e600c338744a4be75b25b0fd9f9d52aa0ef

lol at how they filmed this

Good say i will never want see RY for sure after what he doing to the CP ... about RY backstory i dont pitty him at all ... is his choise to leave with heavenly empress and forget about his mother who love him .... for our CP they really dumb for love hahaha thats good right they really match each other perfectly hehehehe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

http://www.chinesedrama.info/2017/11/drama-heavy-sweetness-ash-like-frost.html

Has not hit 1.5% before.

Also can someone tell me how strong is JM on the show like how does she compare to XF 

It did already. I posted about it long time ago with the official poster promoting the fact that they hit 1.5% 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashes_of_Love_(TV_series)

You can see the day it happened under ratings.

XF is more powerful. One of the reasons JM keeps asking him for cultivation power. 

• Like 1

Just caught up with the latest episodes and I really like how PuChi Jun brought up the point of how JM is innocent and Night shouldn't be using her.

TY PuChi Jun for bringing that thought to Night's consciousness! I really like Puchi Jun in the novel--such a fun character. Now that Night is aware, he feels bad--though ironic when he says he would not hurt her and will try to protect her. Does anyone feel heart broken for the girl who admires Night? Gosh that tear when she sees Night hurt. T.T

Spoiler

Also found it brilliant in the scenes they show Night playing Go with water guy and the bird tribe guy. Had to double take when I saw all that eyeliner. Haha... The moment Night switches into his usual white outfit but with a sparkly embroidery you know he's bent on not losing his "chess game" and he's officially in the dark side. I hope Night gets some redemption now that Puchi Jun brings up the point of where his mother was blinded by revenge and was destroyed in the end--- foreshadowing for Night in following his mother's footsteps? 

Night is such an interesting villain. In contrast to XF, I'm looking forward to his revenge arc since right now all we see is XF who is loving JM unconditionally but not much character development yet compared to Night. So I'd like to see XF's character develop more. JM's character is also slowly developing as she becomes more and more aware of her feelings and the people around her. Yang Zi's acting is so good. That scene where she tells XF to not touch her.... OMG, it's her way to show how much she loves XF but doesn't realize it. It's building momentum until the wedding where it'll be so emotional when she kills XF and realizes what goes wrong. Not to mention the betrayal she'll feel from Night and her betrayal to XF. 

I'm digging the emotional depths of these characters.

Spoiler

I'm still trying to figure out how the demon princess/mask guy story ties in with the drama. I agree how a lot of these side stories are "fillers' to make up 60 episodes.  I guess they are trying to make their story relevant by tying mask guy's intent to kill JM/utilize by SH or Empress. Demon princess is XF's friend and in a sense she protects XF and JM from mask guy. Yet I'm kinda not feeling their love story as it doesn't contain as much emotional depth as the main 3 characters. SH's character is touching upon it briefly--but I'm kinda rooting for her where she can have a moment of "screw you XF, I'mma be a free woman and love myself and my happiness will not rely on you".  *cue Frozen's Let it Go song* :sweat_smile: B/c SH and the demon princess has such potential to be badass female characters.

I really liked the demon princess until that love line. :/ It was a long of "I love you and I'll never leave you" vs her badass character in fighting a bunch of guys and going all girl power and being friends with the Heaven Realm gods.

Also that item Liao Yuan Jun received from a demon lord(?) when he was in the moral realm turned out to be useful. As demon princess can use it to help mask guy and maybe XF in the future? I guess Liao Yuan Jun going to moral realm when he was pushed by Moon god helps "link" the demon princess and  mask guy's side story? It's so interesting Liao Yuan Jun realizes the item he received was from the demon world he gave it to the demon princess since it belonged to her world and could also help her = type the side stories into the plot?

OMG remember how demon princess received a red string from Moon God and she jokingly said to XF and others who she should use it on? Was that supposed to be a foreshadow to her side story? XD Now why don't we see her use that red string???? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1