[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

@Kimchi Sweet Potato Thank you for english sub the MV. Really like it. :)

I cried soo much in today's two episodes. I cried soo much when Phoenix popped those doors open and JM is laying in front of him. I'm sorry, when it comes to scenes like guy going off to war and he returns to his girl dead, it just hurts my heart. Those scenes gets me everything. :bawling::bawling::bawling:

I feel sorry for night, too. He suffered soo much. It's like.. I don't even want to blame him for being evil. (sorry)

I'm soo glad that even thought SH was given her memories, she saw it with her own eyes that Phoenix will never love her. Whether it's in the heaven realm or mortal realm, he will never love her. 

6 hours ago, rosechen said:

Hi.. first time here. So happy to read all the post here. Just found this Deng Lun TV show "Dad Where Are We Going". It's fun to watch how he interact with the kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTLN-Ppg_Q&index=12&list=PLUM8x224JrX_9nugHt9JBQ0FzwYzgRxZd

Welcome! :)

I watched parts and parts of that show and Deng Lun and his daughter is soo cute. I love it how talkative she is and he just sits there and listen as he smiles. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, thunderman1 said:

After watching ep 33, is the mortal realm a repeat of their previous world??  JM's best friend died again.

so sad.... 

Spoiler

best friends died together and King is beyond devastated he'll die too from an unberable broken heart....

the coffin scene from weibo link above..... it killed me..... so painful to watch... 

Deng Lun acting is no joke..... not just a gorgeous face and that cool yet deadly charms.. the man can act really good! I have watched his 3 other dramas and wow this drama with Yang Zi reunite is the best in his career so far.

• Like 11

Deng Lun's rise reminds me of Li Yifeng who had  Swords of Legends,Sparrow, Noble Aspirations 1 and 2 , The Lost Tomb did we as well.

Deng Lun has had Sweet dreams,Ashes of Love , The God's which is this year or next year hes supporting role . Hai Tang's Rouge Shines Through in the Rain which is supposed to be December 31st. Also a support character for Battle Through The Heavens which is out soon.. this is crazy the amount of stuff he has. 

Deng Lun's rise is very similar to Li Yifeng's i think. 

• Like 3

On 8/16/2018 at 4:47 AM, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yes, Rou Rou poison's her. It is against the healer tribe's rules for her to fall in love. 

Rou Rou also dies in yesterday's ep.  after poisoning JM.  :cold_sweat:.  From today's episode is it heaven's realm????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I think this show is interesting because much of the emotional weight is carried by the 2 male leads. I think that might change towards that latter arc of the story, but maybe not drastically? I loathe to draw comparisons, but this aspect seems similar to TMOPB because the main male lead carried a lot of the emotional aspects of the relationship too. 

I'm sort of not getting why Jin Mi is so attractive to the main male leads...I mean, I did skim parts of the book and do recall that Jin Mi is supposed to be an exceptional beauty...but surely there are many beauties in the heavenly realm. Perhaps, what they like is that she doesn't interact with them in the same way that other women do? I think that's because she's an idiot with an overly sheltered upbringing. As someone who dislikes those who aren't tactful or aware of consequences...that's not really attractive to me at all :phew: but I live in the real world. And that unfeeling pill...truly her undoing. Honestly, in my opinion, you should not stop someone from experience their trials, esp love trials. They can be hurtful, but it's also an opportunity for growth and wisdom. 

I've seen Deng Lun before and thought he was cute. He's quite good in this show. He's so pale with milky skin...but homie needs to moisturize his lip haha. The other guy who plays Ren Yu is too skinny, but he plays his role well too. They both have such great speaking voices. Yang Zi is Yang Zi...these kind of dense roles are appropriate for her looks. At least she's seems like the kind of dense that doesn't talk that much (which makes that parts where she talks out of turn odd). I haven't been impressed with any of her works since Battle of Changsha (soooooo heart wrenching and good). It's kinda of hard to avoid her these days, huh?

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

I'm also very impressed by the actors' voice acting. Especially Yangzi. 

The parts in the trailer where she called out fenghuang name in Wangchuan is just heart wrenching. And the clear differences in her tone of voice as putao, shuanghua and shengnü. ;_;

And how denglun sounds so sweet when he talks to the female lead during their mortal realm trial. /dead

Then there's also ry voicing that sounds so smooth and gentle. 

They definitely did the right choice in using their real voices.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, thunderman1 said:

After watching ep 33, is the mortal realm a repeat of their previous world??  JM's best friend died again.

Not necessarily a repeat. If you remember back several episodes, the Water God took Jin Mi to see some higher level god in order to break some spell on Jin Mi that is binding her true powers and true form. Jin Mi also asked that god if she'll meet Rou Rou (her friend that is the succulent plant) again. The god told her they'll meet again but they will later part again too. Thus during the mortal trials is where they meet again and death is where they part, I guess it's all fate. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SeGafanlady said:

OMG OMG OMG :blush: kyakkk ottokeee.... 

that photos from their cultivation (celestial language for making love) night! 

I wonder in which episode will that be... and it looks like it happens somewhere in Floral Realm? my shipper heart can’t take it.. (need oxygen even now lol) 

when that scene occure, I’ll be dead and you can find me in the ditch...  

Spoiler

In the book in happens in the garden of XF's Qiwu Palace...and based on the photos showing the Phoenix Flower Tree, it's probably the same in the drama. Also, the bottle of wine JM buries in his garden before leaving on her mortal trial is definitely the bottle of wine XF is going to get drunk on before JM comes to his garden.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I'm sort of not getting why Jin Mi is so attractive to the main male leads...I mean, I did skim parts of the book and do recall that Jin Mi is supposed to be an exceptional beauty...but surely there are many beauties in the heavenly realm. Perhaps, what they like is that she doesn't interact with them in the same way that other women do? I think that's because she's an idiot with an overly sheltered upbringing. As someone who dislikes those who aren't tactful or aware of consequences...that's not really attractive to me at all :phew: but I live in the real world. And that unfeeling pill...truly her undoing. Honestly, in my opinion, you should not stop someone from experience their trials, esp love trials. They can be hurtful, but it's also an opportunity for growth and wisdom. 

Just my opinion in context of the series: multiple gods and deities have remarked that the Flower Goddess was of unparalleled beauty (i.e. more beautiful than others) and that Jin Mi favours her mother in looks. It's safe to say Jin Mi should be attractive enough not to be considered plain, ugly (although this is a repeated joke), or unnoticeable. If the boys needed Jin Mi to be specifically more beautiful than other beauties in the realm in order to attract their attention, this wouldn't fit their personalities. Neither male leads are that shallow. I figure they have both have lived such long and jaded lives, what turns their head is something unique. 

Jin Mi, among all the sage and stately beings in the Heaven Realm, must be as unique as one can get. While she had a sheltered upbringing - for a very good reason - I think she is unusually innocent rather than an idiot. Her view of the world is childlike in it's innocence. It's only that we would expect an adult to be not a child or innocent, that it may seem odd in Jin Mi. It's also this innocence that gives Jin Mi a forthright manner of communication that gets to the heart of people and matters. She makes people feel better without even trying. This ability would be considered an EQ skill rather than an IQ skill (i.e. tact and behavioural awareness are cognitive and therefore IQ abilities). This is probably why Feng Huang can get so frustrated with Jin Mi. Feng Huang is a rationalist compared to Jin Mi who is an emotional intuitive. Interestingly, they balance each other out as opposites: rationalist vs emotional intuitive, fire vs water, male vs female. 

I very much agree with the Heartless Pill being Jin Mi's injustice. It was a decision by her mother, but Jin Mi had to pay the consequences for it. Jin Mi had no choice in the matter, neither could she control the effects the pill had on her. Which is why I take a very tolerant view of her behaviour and mistakes. Jin Mi tries her best without even knowing that she cannot truly be herself. When the Water God took Jin Mi to his master, right before that, there is a discussion about Jin Mi having multiple 'bindings'. Her ability to build ling li/spiritual power (a mark of status and self-esteem in the spirit realms) has a binding. It's plausible that Jin Mi's insatiable thirst for spiritual power stems from a binding she is unaware of. Yet even this is not done out of pure personal gain, as we always circle back to her 'saving' enough spiritual power to save her friend.

I've always thought Jin Mi's hunt for spiritual power a metaphor for money. If you think back to her behaviour, it seems like she is a bit of a money grubber. Albeit a cute one at that. But in alone moments, we see she is 'saving' this money to bring back a friend to life. Her actions may not be the most honourable, but it has an honourable agenda. 

If we take money as a metaphor for love, it's Jin Mi's innocent way of understanding and sharing love when she is asking for it. She loves like a child, but everyone wants her to love like an adult. Romantic love would be considered adult-like. She does start to grow up - after she coughs up the pill - but I can't say she is entirely clueless about love. She happens to express it in such a happy and unconditional manner, it makes adult love anxious and agonising in comparison. For how dare she be so happy when the rest of the realms are so miserable! :P I see it has a meta-writing trick by the author to see which reader or audience gets this point. Anyhow, the epilogues 

confirm that spiritual power = love to Jin Mi. She realises it when she ponders why she needs it still. In asking for it from Feng Huang, she realises it's her way to validate his love for her. Feng Huang comes to the same conclusion for himself.

The most important quality that not only draws the male leads, and dare I say the audience, is that she is funny! She is intentionally written to be funny by the author-scriptwriter. While humour is subjective, I'm drawn to Jin Mi's character because she is funny. The first time she meets Run Yu, she makes him smile even though he had been down. It may've taken a while, but Jin Mi even manages to crack a grin out of Feng Huang. With all the court and family politics in Run Yu and Feng Huang's family, I think the most attractive thing would be someone who can simply make them happy for a change. The funny usually does a good job of that. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, lovehuche said:

Is this XF and JM first mutual cultivation before the big wedding?  You click at your own risk.

After this mutual cultivation, she agrees to marry RY?  Or, she still does not understand what is love?  And this is also before killing XF, is it not?  Does JM does not understand that,after sleeping with a guy, she gives her consent to marry another one?  Its really unfair for JM  becoz of that Elixir pill.  But she is back from the mortal realm does she not understand what is love/feelings for a guy.  She confessed her love for the King(XF) so many times in the human world.  I am still confused about the JM's understanding abt. love.:anguished:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

After this mutual cultivation, she agrees to marry RY?  Or, she still does not understand what is love?  And this is also before killing XF, is it not?  Does JM does not understand that,after sleeping with a guy, she gives her consent to marry another one?  Its really unfair for JM  becoz of that Elixir pill.  But she is back from the mortal realm does she not understand what is love/feelings for a guy.  She confessed her love for the King(XF) so many times in the human world.  I am still confused about the JM's understanding abt. love.:anguished:

This is confusing to me too. In the book

Spoiler

JM refuses to break her engagement with Run Yu after her "mutual cultivation" with XF, even though XF asks her to. She also doesn't see any connection between mutual cultivation and love/commitment (she thinks the point of mutual cultivation is to get ling li).

However, in the drama it really seems like mortal Jin Mi develops a much deeper understanding of love. I wonder if the immortal JM is simply going to go back to the way she was before her trial (which would fit with the book better, but wouldn't really make sense in the drama), or if the cracks in her unfeeling pill are going to impact her character going forward.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SeGafanlady said:

so sad.... 

Reveal hidden contents

best friends died together and King is beyond devastated he'll die too from an unberable broken heart....

the coffin scene from weibo link above..... it killed me..... so painful to watch... 

Deng Lun acting is no joke..... not just a gorgeous face and that cool yet deadly charms.. the man can act really good! I have watched his 3 other dramas and wow this drama with Yang Zi reunite is the best in his career so far.

He really is. I saw him in Princess Agents and thought he was soo adorable and went to watch most of his dramas. Really love his acting and his smile. I was soo happy when this drama came out, because I had just finished watching Sweet Dreams. It was like "Yay! More Deng Lun!" Lol! :lol:

2 hours ago, lovehuche said:

Is this XF and JM first mutual cultivation before the big wedding?  You click at your own risk.

I didn't care I clicked on it immediately. My jaw dropped! :astonished: Wow! WOW! I'm speechless. :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

@revocs are you the subscene subber? Many thanks for the subs and keep them coming :)

The discussion suddenly got heated overnight. Word of the week CULTIVATION.

@pad-hari @clawedzip I actually find the unfeeling pill to be both the weak and strong point of the story. Jin Mi feels alot. Happiness is a feeling but she cannot love and yet there is that devotion and immediate sense of loyalty. Maybe it should have been called something else...

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

click on your own risk..... mega spoiler :wub:

Spoiler

this will be happening this week... I read the comments in Weibo (auto translate by my wonderful apple) and it seems that fans are so anticipating this scene too!!

note : the long awaited and long endured desire of love is like a mountain ready to errupt an anytime..  the erruption will be powerful hehehe...  it seems like ‘patiency’ is no longer exist in Xu Feng’s vocabulary when it comes to his love, Jin Mi.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

11 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I think this show is interesting because much of the emotional weight is carried by the 2 male leads. I think that might change towards that latter arc of the story, but maybe not drastically? I loathe to draw comparisons, but this aspect seems similar to TMOPB because the main male lead carried a lot of the emotional aspects of the relationship too. 

I've seen Deng Lun before and thought he was cute. He's quite good in this show. He's so pale with milky skin...but homie needs to moisturize his lip haha. The other guy who plays Ren Yu is too skinny, but he plays his role well too. They both have such great speaking voices. Yang Zi is Yang Zi...these kind of dense roles are appropriate for her looks. At least she's seems like the kind of dense that doesn't talk that much (which makes that parts where she talks out of turn odd). I haven't been impressed with any of her works since Battle of Changsha (soooooo heart wrenching and good). It's kinda of hard to avoid her these days, huh?

Same. Battle of Changsha was her peak acting for me and then she kind of went downhill, but I just think she was not giving good material. Her acting skills were trending yesterday. She really has a good emotional range and I hope she is able to get better works in the future. 

I think this is probably Deng Lun's best acting drama in the lead role. I didnt see White Deer Plain but I know people praised him for his performance there. Same for Luo Yunxi. I also find him too skinny lol but it fits with Night really well. 

As for JM's attractiveness to the main leads. I think XF fell in love with her innocence and personality not her looks. The human realm trial is suppose to reinforce that. Also, he did mentioned it when he said he liked JM in front of the flower fairies.

As for RY, I personally don't think he loves her. I saw someone explain my point much more accurate where he never experiences love and he doesnt understand the emotion. JM is the first person that was kind to him without any pretense and complimented his appearance and he wanted her to keep doing that. He wanted her affection not matter if she wanted it or not, he just wanted to experience that and he felt like she was the only person that could honestly give it to him since he does have a lot of complexes about himself. That is why he develops an obsession with her that leads him to do all these horrible things imo. But I don't consider it love bc if he loved her he wouldn't want her to suffer and cause her pain. I personally think that when you love someone you just want them to be happy.

I think JM will carry a lot of emotional weight in the end. Her character does come around a long way from the beginning, she does a lot of repenting. Also, she starts off so dumb in a way but by the time she figures out Night she is able to realize all the instances that he did trick her. 

9 hours ago, paperwishes said:

I'm also very impressed by the actors' voice acting. Especially Yangzi. 

The parts in the trailer where she called out fenghuang name in Wangchuan is just heart wrenching. And the clear differences in her tone of voice as putao, shuanghua and shengnü. ;_;

And how denglun sounds so sweet when he talks to the female lead during their mortal realm trial. /dead

Then there's also ry voicing that sounds so smooth and gentle. 

They definitely did the right choice in using their real voices.

I am happy with all their voice acting, it was the right choice for them to dub themselves. Deng Lun said that it was hard to dub the emotional scenes bc you had to get in that mindset again. 

7 hours ago, pad-hari said:

See bottom explanation that is going around. 

6 hours ago, clawedzip said:

However, in the drama it really seems like mortal Jin Mi develops a much deeper understanding of love. I wonder if the immortal JM is simply going to go back to the way she was before her trial (which would fit with the book better, but wouldn't really make sense in the drama), or if the cracks in her unfeeling pill are going to impact her character going forward.

I think so too.

Also, it seems that they retained the memories of the human world. I saw the clip pre-mutual cultivation and he reminds her that she promised to marry him and she says that she has a marriage contract so he asks what if there is no marriage contract and she tells him that naturally she would fulfill her promise and they kiss. 

Fans are saying that in another clip RY gives her some time of memory suppression pill bc he sees them kissing together and decides that nothing will take her away from him, even herself I guess. One clip has her asking to end the marriage contract so I guess that is pre-pill. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2