[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 hour ago, Sirry Usly said:

I think it's because it had to be believable that's why he did not tell her himself. Plus he was crying and I think some of it, how he was telling her her felt about her etc was real somewhat. Lol. I like the way it ended tbh. I just wish we got to see more of them together as a family. 

I think there's no way he could tell her. It was a covert operation and he would not be allowed to do so. Moreover it is also for her safety if somehow the plan went awry and ED won, it allows Minglan deniability and she wasn't part of the plot. In fact  it would be even safer if she was officially separated from GTY so ED wouldn't be able to execute or exile her as part of GTY's  family if GTY and the Emperor lost. But ML refused flatly so GTY couldn't push that.  The Empress was forced to tell her because ML was so extreme in her measures for GTY that not telling her could have cost her health and life.

Edited by sandrilene
  • Like 8
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, doubleicon said:

I laughed so hard when SH and Cb pushed out Gu Big Madam maid. lmao CB threw the baby rattler, and SH poked her out with an umbrella. It was so cute but funny lmao.

OKAY MY HEART BROKE! When Rong'er called Minglan mother. Ugh! Too much cuteness. I can tell Minglan was very happy but sad (how ROng'er came to call her so under duress with their home being surrounded) being called Mother by her daughter. 

I love this drama.

All the child actors wr just adorable.. This is one of my favourite cdrama, congratulations to all casts.. fantastic performances.

Must comment on QH. I have all along admired this man's character.. his feelings of love for ML should be what true "LOVE" is all about. 

8 minutes ago, valerie savage said:

Off Topic,

What is going on with soompi. I can sign into my account. 

Had same problem last nite but all good this morning. Check your email for further instructions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dito said:

GTY made her go through all that and he didn't even bother to tell her himself? If not everything, atleast tell her enough so she could have prepared herself. She had to go begging and groveling to the Empress to find out. The empress took pity on her and told her the truth but her own husband didn't. Did he even think what his wife and his new-born child would go through alone with him in prison?

Now I'm even more mad at the writers.:angry:

That is why Ming Lan first spit at his face and threatened him that if he ever did it again, she will serve him with divorce papers. Anyone noticed that Ming Lan sat outside watching the action like a General.

The Emperor started planting his crop and at full harvest, he had also full control of his reign. He may have been a reluctant candidate for the throne but once he got it, he made sure he did it well. All his arguments at court are for the people of his nation while his Ministers argued over trivial matters on whether how the former Emperor and the Emperor's birth father should be titled as.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Is it a little disappointing that the Zi Yuan Ruo doesn't have a nice meaning. Zi are chosen later in life so shouldn't it be picked carefully?

Well, 元Yuan as a word in names bears many lucky meanings. It may mean origin, foundation, first, beginning, heaven etc. 若Ruo in the context of the Zi may be interpreted in two ways, one is like, similar to, the other obedient to. So the Zi may mean like origin, like first or like heaven, and it may also mean be obedient to heaven, to the origin etc. Considering characterization of QH in the drama, I guess the second interpretation fits more, as he is obedient to his parents, bar his love for ML. And he attaches great importance to conventions and rules so ED uses this to manipulate him for challenging emperor's "inappropriate" proposal. Either way, Yuan Ruo may be seen as a blessing from his parents.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 10:39 AM, minglanfan2 said:

Happy ending is good.What happened to Madam Wang's family?

It looked like Official Wang was one of the guys chained up heading for prison or exile? Old Madame Wang probably got something similar to ED due to her late husband’s merits but the usefulness of the former Imperial Tutor’s merits have now been exhausted. All of the enemies have been taken care of. Even Molan, who has no love from her husband and no children which is one of the worst fates for a main wife (drama gave her punishment for killing the concubines’ babies unlike novel where she kind of got away with it, had kids and was treated kindly by her husband since she was generous with letting him have concubines). 

Love the loyalty and trust between GTY and his General buddies, Prince, and Emperor. Their closeness is always emphasized by the Imperial family’s use of GTY’s nickname Zhonghuai just like CB.

QH finally walking next to his wife and taking her hands instead of walking ahead of her like before. Glad he got a more affectionate ending.

:wub: lots of squeals for ST and XT with their cuteness. And the Shengs are finally a family, still dysfunctional in their own way but now one family instead of competing parts. They need to do an epilogue of all of them with their children, including General Shen and Madame Zhang’s family.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dancingbee said:

Happy Qi Heng's couple :)   Turned out he is blessed with a loving wife and has finally found the true happiness.

IXL8q7K.png

The hidden lovely couple.. So glad they made the characters open up to each other.. QH deserves to be free and happy at heart and his intelligent and smart wife helped him to get that.. Happy ending to the couple :heart:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hello210 said:

It looked like Official Wang was one of the guys chained up heading for prison or exile? Old Madame Wang probably got something similar to ED due to her late husband’s merits but the usefulness of the former Imperial Tutor’s merits have now been exhausted. All of the enemies have been taken care of. Even Molan, who has no love from her husband and no children which is one of the worst fates for a main wife (drama gave her punishment for killing the concubines’ babies unlike novel where she kind of got away with it, had kids and was treated kindly by her husband since she was generous with letting him have concubines). 

Love the loyalty and trust between GTY and his General buddies, Prince, and Emperor. Their closeness is always emphasized by the Imperial family’s use of GTY’s nickname Zhonghuai just like CB.

QH finally walking next to his wife and taking her hands instead of walking ahead of her like before. Glad he got a more affectionate ending.

:wub: lots of steals for ST and XT with their cuteness. And the Shengs are finally a family, still dysfunctional in their own way but now one family instead of competing parts. They need to do an epilogue of all of them with their children, including General Shen and Madame Zhang’s family.

Thanks for the summary.I hoped for a harsher end to ED.She was the mastermind.The minions got heavy punishment but she was let off so lightly.:triumph: Very dissappinting.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sandrilene said:

I think there's no way he could tell her. It was a covert operation and he would not be allowed to do so. Moreover it is also for her safety if somehow the plan went awry and ED won, it allows Minglan deniability and she wasn't part of the plot. In fact  it would be even safer if she was officially separated from GTY so ED wouldn't be able to execute or exile her as part of GTY's  family if GTY and the Emperor lost. But ML refused flatly so GTY couldn't push that.  The Empress was forced to tell her because ML was so extreme in her measures for GTY that not telling her could have cost her health and life.

I agree and I think the way he framed his proposal of separation was a clear indication of his state of mind. Gty was devoted to the Imperial family, he said thanks to them he could have Ml and his position, so he put himself as a bait. But I doubt it was a light choice.

He couldn’t tell her, but he was broken full of sadness and remorses.  He even said that her life would have been better with He and QH. 

He didn’t want a divorce because he was sure their plan would work but gave her a way to protect herself in a situation that could lead to their ruin and death.

I loved this scene because their love shone without talking about feelings, they remembered their past and it was cute how she got him. She guessed he was happy she made a scene and that he wouldn’t separate knowing He was single.

for me the drama was good. It was a bit a mess the way they put all the evil characters in the court to accuse gty and some inaccuracies were clear. But even the drum beating made sense. It went back to her promising to risk everything for  her mother, her granny and gty. We saw her putting her life on the line for all three.

i liked the last scene because it closed the scene on the Sheng family. However I wanted more scenes in the end for gty,ml and their children

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Sorry everyone but, I just have to finally say this because I have waited so many episodes to do so....Preface - I love the main characters like everyone else!!

But, I have waited until almost the end to see some passion from ML towards GTY and I just don't feel it. The kisses on the cheeks is so weird for me, almost like the ones I give my grandchildren. In addition, the fact that they are a couple in life makes me not get it even more that their lip kisses almost seem awkward. And did she just spit in his face! Thanks for letting me voice my opinion : )

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jwhite said:

Sorry everyone but, I just have to finally say this because I have waited so many episodes to do so....Preface - I love the main characters like everyone else!!

But, I have waited until almost the end to see some passion from ML towards GTY and I just don't feel it. The kisses on the cheeks is so weird for me, almost like the ones I give my grandchildren. In addition, the fact that they are a couple in life makes me not get it even more that their lip kisses almost seem awkward. And did she just spit in his face! Thanks for letting me voice my opinion : )

Most chinese period dramas don't do passionate kisses. If not pecks its mostly just quick smooches. Last chinese drama I saw that had kisses with a bit of passion was 10 miles of peach blossoms...and then too the passion was from the guy's side only....the lady looked like she was just barely tolerating it.

You may find good passionate kisses in taiwanese dramas but chinese dramas and actors still need to loosen up a bit.

Though I admit the modern dramas have started putting in proper kisses....whether its passionate or not , that is up to you. For me I find them awkward. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

54 minutes ago, dito said:

Most chinese period dramas don't do passionate kisses. If not pecks its mostly just quick smooches. Last chinese drama I saw that had kisses with a bit of passion was 10 miles of peach blossoms...and then too the passion was from the guy's side only....the lady looked like she was just barely tolerating it.

You may find good passionate kisses in taiwanese dramas but chinese dramas and actors still need to loosen up a bit.

Though I admit the modern dramas have started putting in proper kisses....whether its passionate or not , that is up to you. For me I find them awkward. 

I think this was the first C-drama I watched that had a lot of PDA between the main couple . During the scene where Minglan is fanning GTY's wounds after he was caned, if you watch closely GTY was stroking Minglan's thighs and I could not believe my eyes.  For me it was the subtle ways in which they always touched each other, that made me enjoy their romance.

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, afrimpong05 said:

I think this was the first C-drama I watched that had a lot of PDA between the main couple . During the scene where Minglan is fanning GTY's wounds after he was caned, if you watch closely GTY was stroking Minglan's thighs and I could not believe my eyes.  For me it was the subtle ways in which they always touched each other, that made me enjoy their romance.

True true, their subtle touch makes it so much better.. I love them 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, afrimpong05 said:

Yes I noticed that too. There were lots of little touches like that between FSF and ZLY that brought out the comfortable intimacy in their relationship. He was not shying away from touching her. Sometimes it even looked liked it was not planned and he did it spontaneously. Like when he was asking her to call him Er lang. That pat on the back. I also remember he rubbed her back a lot. He also touched her face a few times.....I've noticed actors in cdrama and Kdramas avoid doing that....and touch the shoulders instead...maybe coz of makeup? but it looses that intimate tone of the scene.

Mostly actors even though they have good relationship off screen with their female costars mind their hands in close body scenes. Like not getting too close to the butt or the chest unless the scene demands that. If you notice, the back hug scenes in most dramas....the guys usually hug the ladies on the shoulders...not the waist.

In this drama the few times FSF carried ZLY, his hand was very close to her chest. So their real life intimacy was crossing over to their reel life. Only thing missing were good kisses...:lol:

• Like 8
  • LOL 2