Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lynne

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Happy

  Hide contents

 

Looks like Molan is not getting divorced?? And she seems a bit embarrassed when she arrives, so maybe she already knows her mistakes and try to live a better life?

 

And shitou is so caring of xiaotao ... I hope we at least see them get married :)  The funny thing is whenever ML and GTY bicker, Xiaotao also gives the same treatment to Shitou, one time Shitou said to GTY that because of his fight with ML, Xiaotao has been giving him a cold shoulder. 

  • Like 2
  • LOL 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jewelsc said:

I'm glad they gave QH a good life and an understanding wife instead of him being a sore loser, his wife truly surprises me, i thought she would be like the typical noble snobbish woman who would dig into her husband's past and resent ML but she seems to be a smart cookie and b4 she jumps to conclusions and pass judgement, she actually had a face-to-face meet/talk with ML to get a feel of the type of person ML is and realized that ML is not a bad person atall.  I'm happy they can all put their childish resentments past behind them and focus on their futures and become friends.

QH's wife and Lady Zhang (General Shen's wife) are smart women. I love how in the beginning they sort of hate ML because of the rumours about her. But after spending some time with her, they realise who ML really is. And instead of being blinded by hate and jealousy, they know who is good and who is bad.

 

But I really think QH's wife has a big heart. Trusting her husband that much for helping out a woman he once want to marry is not an easy thing to do. But she said that if QH is happy, then she is happy too. I think that's also why QH is able to open his heart to her. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I'm really pissed off in recent episodes is WHY GTY NOT TIED UP LOOSE ENDS? I mean he has so many, so many weaknesses and he just left them hanging. Hasn't he ever thought that his enemies would use them against him? Why didn't he keep written evidences? Why left MN alive when she's proven to be able to cause quite a damage? And the whole thing with Bai family. He  kept no evidences. At least if he thought things carefully and keep some of his enemies' weaknesses in his hands then there'll be less things against him now. They are his enemies. Shouldn't he keep check on them and have some kind of leverage? Didn't he know once he lose his ground all of them will come barking like dogs?

 

@Golden Flower I don't know that many details but I heard the imperial court can suspend a Marquis/Count's proposal for an heir so I guess at least an Emperor could drag time before choosing someone he sees fit to bear the title. I mean the Emperor doesn't say to withdraw their title so he at least have that much authority, right? I think unless they are royalty, noble families pay for expenses themselves by income they get from real estate and shops like normal families. Who pays the expenses depends on who's managing Gu family's asset, Stepmom or ML, like how they are usually paid before. If family asset has been divided then they each pay for their own. About tax I'm I'm not sure, I guess they don't have to pay since they are still noble. Stepmom and GTY's brother's wife still have their noble women titles, since they were bestowed on them due to their husbands, not GTY, so they retain full rights as noble women. But it may not be historically accurate since I got my knowledge from novels. But technically the Emperor can do anything since he has absolute power. It's just how far he can abuse it before being considered a tyrant. Dragging some noble title is pretty much within boundaries.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, matrim said:

In ancient China a person's names was a complicated matter. Usually one had two names: Ming and Zi. The former was given by one's parents and used by elders, the latter was given when one turned 20 (in the case of females, 15) and used by peers. Generally Zi bore similar or same meaning of Ming and sometimes it's a complement to Ming. Some had a third name Hao which reflected one's ideal or characters. To show respect for others, one should use Zi or Hao instead of Ming. So we seldom hear QH but Yuan Ruo. As Qi was his family name and Heng given name, Yuan Ruo his Zi (sorry there's no English equivalent for this). Niang is the informal word for Muqin, carrying more intimate feel, their relationship similar to that of mom and mother in English.

 

Can someone who can read Chinese translate the meaning of the names of the characters in the series? I am really curious what the names of each characters represent. We the non Chinese speakers only hear the vocalisation and see the Latin spelling of the names, but are completely missing the meanings of the names.

 

For example what would Chinese person know when they hear the name Qi Heng Yuan Ruo?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, annakas said:

 

Can someone who can read Chinese translate the meaning of the names of the characters in the series? I am really curious what the names of each characters represent. We the non Chinese speakers only hear the vocalisation and see the Latin spelling of the names, but are completely missing the meanings of the names.

 

For example what would Chinese person know when they hear the name Qi Heng Yuan Ruo?

Well I can explain about the Chinese names. Of course each character has its meaning, but not exactly every name means something. For example, every daughter of the Sheng family has a "兰Lan" in her name, and every son has a "长chang" in his name. Lan means orchid, which is a noble flower in acient China. Minglan can be explained as "bright orchid", while Molan is "ink orchid", Rulan is "like an orchid". In Gu Tingye's name, "廷Ting” is given to every son in the Gu family, which means the court. And "'烨Ye” means glorious.

For Qi Heng's name, "衡Heng" means balance. His Zi, Yuan Ruo can be hard to explain, because 元Yuan has many meaning and 若Ruo means "if' or "like". The author chose these two characters might simply because Yuan Ruo sounds good. And in the novel, they nicknamed him "元宝Yuan Bao" (which is a shoe-shaped gold ingot) because  the pronunciation is similar. So that's why Minglan sewed a shoe-shaped gold ingot on the knee pads.

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

In Ep73, they stopped the rebel . And GTY's stepmom killed herself in fire. Xiatao & Shitou got together.. I wonder what will be told for the 3 episodes left. Coz I heard the show got extended & via VIKI who have the licence for uncut version, it should be until 76 episodes. Any ideas? So confused here?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paopaolong said:

Well I can explain about the Chinese names. Of course each character has its meaning, but not exactly every name means something. For example, every daughter of the Sheng family has a "兰Lan" in her name, and every son has a "长chang" in his name. Lan means orchid, which is a noble flower in acient China. Minglan can be explained as "bright orchid", while Molan is "ink orchid", Rulan is "like an orchid". In Gu Tingye's name, "廷Ting” is given to every son in the Gu family, which means the court. And "'烨Ye” means glorious.

For Qi Heng's name, "衡Heng" means balance. His Zi, Yuan Ruo can be hard to explain, because 元Yuan has many meaning and 若Ruo means "if' or "like". The author chose these two characters might simply because Yuan Ruo sounds good. And in the novel, they nicknamed him "元宝Yuan Bao" (which is a shoe-shaped gold ingot) because  the pronunciation is similar. So that's why Minglan sewed a shoe-shaped gold ingot on the knee pads.

 

 

 

Is it a little disappointing that the Zi Yuan Ruo doesn't have a nice meaning. Zi are chosen later in life so shouldn't it be picked carefully?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So has anyone heard about the scandal that Hunan TV created with the last episode? Well Hunan TV has always been notorious for tampering with dramas they broadcast. So they had quite a difficult time last year. They poured their money on many blockbusters but they all eventually failed, until TSoML. TSoML is doing too good, so they tried to squeeze some more value out of it by extending it another few more episodes (not in the original director's cut), making it unnecessarily long and tiring. Now to the last episode they decided to divide it into 2 parts, broadcasting in 2 days. They first aired TSoML's half episode, then they proceeded to air their new drama instead of the later half to push the rating of their new drama. All viewers just kept watching cuz they thought it was the commercials and they were expecting the ending. So that new drama actually has extremely high starting rating but angers everyone. Now there goes the new drama's favoritism along with Hunan TV's reputation.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

So has anyone heard about the scandal that Hunan TV created with the last episode? Well Hunan TV has always been notorious for tampering with dramas they broadcast. So they had quite a difficult time last year. They poured their money on many blockbusters but they all eventually failed, until TSoML. TSoML is doing too good, so they tried to squeeze some more value out of it by extending it another few more episodes (not in the original director's cut), making it unnecessarily long and tiring. Now to the last episode they decided to divide it into 2 parts, broadcasting in 2 days. They first aired TSoML's half episode, then they proceeded to air their new drama instead of the later half to push the rating of their new drama. All viewers just kept watching cuz they thought it was the commercials and they were expecting the ending. So that new drama actually has extremely high starting rating but angers everyone. Now there goes the new drama's favoritism along with Hunan TV's reputation.

Hunan is being greedy again.  Why do they ALWAYS do this ?  Why? Why? Tell me WHY??????? :triumph:  When something goes really well, they ruined it. So they thought they would hitch a ride on TSOML success by addiding their new drama did they?  Well, I don't know which drama this is but it sucks.  I was watching avidly last night and I was like WTH.  Where's the ending????????  Ok, then I understood that somehow they stretched it another day.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

So has anyone heard about the scandal that Hunan TV created with the last episode? Well Hunan TV has always been notorious for tampering with dramas they broadcast. So they had quite a difficult time last year. They poured their money on many blockbusters but they all eventually failed, until TSoML. TSoML is doing too good, so they tried to squeeze some more value out of it by extending it another few more episodes (not in the original director's cut), making it unnecessarily long and tiring. Now to the last episode they decided to divide it into 2 parts, broadcasting in 2 days. They first aired TSoML's half episode, then they proceeded to air their new drama instead of the later half to push the rating of their new drama. All viewers just kept watching cuz they thought it was the commercials and they were expecting the ending. So that new drama actually has extremely high starting rating but angers everyone. Now there goes the new drama's favoritism along with Hunan TV's reputation.

Thank you for the information. No wonder the yesterday episode looks odd.

 

Finally, an answer why Ming Lan behaved oddly after coming out of the Empress chamber and why she scolded Gu Ting Ye for coming back so late when their home was under siege. It because she had learned that it was all a plan. No wonder he asked her whether it had been fun.  

  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

So has anyone heard about the scandal that Hunan TV created with the last episode? Well Hunan TV has always been notorious for tampering with dramas they broadcast. So they had quite a difficult time last year. They poured their money on many blockbusters but they all eventually failed, until TSoML. TSoML is doing too good, so they tried to squeeze some more value out of it by extending it another few more episodes (not in the original director's cut), making it unnecessarily long and tiring. Now to the last episode they decided to divide it into 2 parts, broadcasting in 2 days. They first aired TSoML's half episode, then they proceeded to air their new drama instead of the later half to push the rating of their new drama. All viewers just kept watching cuz they thought it was the commercials and they were expecting the ending. So that new drama actually has extremely high starting rating but angers everyone. Now there goes the new drama's favoritism along with Hunan TV's reputation.

 

Hunan's greed always wins over everything else. It was like this during JOF, PA and now this drama.

I didn't watch JOF....but have read many many complaints about the way they handled it. But I did watch PA...so I did experience some of the same nonsense of Hunan......short filler episodes....rushed ending and holding back the happy ending they filmed to push for 2 season. 

Atleast we get the uncut version on youtube now.....we didn't even get that during the other 2 shows.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jacquelinetan said:

Thank you for the information. No wonder the yesterday episode looks odd.

 

Finally, an answer why Ming Lan behaved oddly after coming out of the Empress chamber and why she scolded Gu Ting Ye for coming back so late when their home was under siege. It because she had learned that it was all a plan. No wonder he asked her whether it had been fun.  

 

GTY made her go through all that and he didn't even bother to tell her himself? If not everything, atleast tell her enough so she could have prepared herself. She had to go begging and groveling to the Empress to find out. The empress took pity on her and told her the truth but her own husband didn't. Did he even think what his wife and his new-born child would go through alone with him in prison?

Now I'm even more mad at the writers.:angry:

  • Like 4
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dito said:

 

GTY made her go through all that and he didn't even bother to tell her himself? If not everything, atleast tell her enough so she could have prepared herself. She had to go begging and groveling to the Empress to find out. The empress took pity on her and told her the truth but her own husband didn't. Did he even think what his wife and his new-born child would go through alone with him in prison?

Now I'm even more mad at the writers.:angry:

I think the empress telling her was planned, that's why GTY was also not surprised she knows the plan.. So even if she wasn't told, I still support her not being told, truly ML might have gone through a lot and like Empress told her 'if other people can, why can't she?' but even if that didn't happen, I still won't support telling her because more than her pain of fighting for GTY, her knowing an imperial plan, which might fail, which might eventually leads to using people, maybe her too, as scapegoat, so it's better for her to oblivious of the matter, but that's another story entirely too.. So I think I like how it was the empress that told her.... It's more like the empress legally asked her to join the plan.. I'm so excited to watch this.. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I laughed so hard when SH and Cb pushed out Gu Big Madam maid. lmao CB threw the baby rattler, and SH poked her out with an umbrella. It was so cute but funny lmao.

 

OKAY MY HEART BROKE! When Rong'er called Minglan mother. Ugh! Too much cuteness. I can tell Minglan was very happy but sad (how ROng'er came to call her so under duress with their home being surrounded) being called Mother by her daughter. 

 

I love this drama.

  • Like 6
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dito said:

 

GTY made her go through all that and he didn't even bother to tell her himself? If not everything, atleast tell her enough so she could have prepared herself. She had to go begging and groveling to the Empress to find out. The empress took pity on her and told her the truth but her own husband didn't. Did he even think what his wife and his new-born child would go through alone with him in prison?

Now I'm even more mad at the writers.:angry:

I think it's because it had to be believable that's why he did not tell her himself. Plus he was crying and I think some of it, how he was telling her her felt about her etc was real somewhat. Lol. I like the way it ended tbh. I just wish we got to see more of them together as a family. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the name Yuan Ruo (sorry I haven't figured out how to quote text... :( )Yuan 元 also has connotations of being first, Ruo 若 as mentioned has the idea of "if" or "like" something (there's connotations of a wish )...maybe it's about the parents' aspirations or wish for him that he would be first among equals when he grows up. That he would be outstanding. My command of Chinese isn't great so those with a better command of the language pls correct me if I missed any finer nuances. :)

Edited by sandrilene
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...