[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

5 hours ago, lilkat75 said:

I want to mention that I love the relationship ML has with her granny, Danju and Xiaotao :wub: The drama also really demonstrates how life for women can be incredibly harsh. Also a yay for the female friendships! Love positive relationships. The scene where all the people ML helped at the past came to her son's 1-month celebration actually touched me. 

I too love the relationship that Ming Lan has with her female relatives,  friends, and maids. They are there for each other in good times and bad.

wsvumA8.jpg

XkEFPtL.jpg

aj6VyQo.jpg

0D662ra.jpg

Zhang Guifen, General Shen's wife, impressed me with her loyalty and friendship to Ming Lan. She not only had her beauty and elegant manner, but also intelligence. When GTY was put in prison and Ming Lan wanted to visit him, General Shen even discouraged Ming Lan that it was no way to get the visitation granted. However, Madame Zhang went into the palace and had Ming Lan disguise as one of her maids and allowed Ming Lan to meet with the empress and finally visit GTY in prison.

y0OHAKj.png

At the chaotic time of the revolt, she held a sword in her hands and took the control of protecting her own household in place of her husband who was away at that time. 

Her polo scenes showed how good she was on horseback and the sport among men.

gejgRLs.png

svpMO8R.png

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG I can't believe that the show is over! The last 2 months of my life were filled with touching, exciting, lovely, and contemplating moments of TSOML. I agree with @nichiwoohee that ML was overshadowed by many other characters throughout the drama. I live far from home and speak to my mom weekly on the phone, and you know what? I talked about TSOML all the time whenever I called her. 

First about Grandma, I was deeply touched by her who, despite all the suffering caused by her husband, chose to stay as a widow for the Sheng family and who with her big heart took in ML when she lost her mom at young age. I was then appalled by GTY's step mother who blamed everyone and hurt everyone for her self inflicted misery. Their contrast showed me how perspectives and world view make a whole difference in one's happiness. In order to find contentment, you have to feel and fill it from the inside, not the other way around.

Then let's talk about GTY. He's one of the most interesting male lead I have ever come across. He's hot headed but also incredibly shrewd. He's jaded by injustice and dissimulation but does let it stop him from seeing the goodness and giving out his heart to other people. He could have been resentful but he overcame it by focusing on current happiness. He is manipulative but also generous and self-sacrificing. He failed many times but he also carried himself up and kept moving forward. He's many complex layers of bad and good and lovely and annoying GTY. Such a refreshing character, I just can't help falling and cheering for him every time he pops up in the drama. Props to the writer and FSF, thanks to them GTY in the drama is better fleshed out and more relatable than the novel. I have seen FSF in 4 dramas, his acting is not bad but somewhat one dimensional. This is his best performance so far. 

I was also intrigued by Liniang and Molan. They represent ambitious women who try all they can to cheat the social hierarchy. In a different setup, women with this ambition and brightness are the main leads' materials who will end up with happily ever after. All the women in this drama schemed and manipulated someone, either their family, their underlings, or their higher-ups. Some got what they wanted, like Minglan, Zhang lady, and grandma; some lost miserably, like Liniang and Molan. I think what destroys them was that along the way searching for their happiness, they decided to abandon humanity and self-esteem. Molan at the end of the fighting scene with her husband cried in despair asking why she followed everything her mom did but still failed. Although I was unhappy that she didn't face her due punishment after all of her the horribly wrongdoings, her soliloquy was admittedly very memorable to me. It reminds me that it's not wrong to fight for your wellbeing but it's immoral to achieve it by hurting and fooling innocent people. Regardless of how well calculated your schemes are, people will know if your intention is genuine. It still doesn't make sense to me that Molan was accepted into Sheng family after all that, but I guess it's more painful for her to spend whole her life failing and suffering while everyone she hates is happy and well-lived. At the end, Molan has no real family because she never truly loves one.

I just want to say thank you thank you to the whole production team. TSOML is of course not perfect adaption from the novel but still a great example of adaption done right. They managed to blow a new life into the previously successful book materials and showed that adaptation can also its own standing and can be valued as an individual piece of storytelling. TSOML now holds a special place in my heart and will be in my list of Must-Rewatch.

I believe Gu Ting Ye's wish of a passionate and clingy wife came to a circle after the incident of Auntie Kang at her birth of their son. Ming Lan practically hung onto him with her dear life. She screamed at her nightmares and he does his best to pacify her. Note that now she did not handle the situation by herself. At that time, Gu Ting ye armed himself with a sword at all times. Because he need to clam his wife down, he even did not responds to the Emperor's request ... that was in the act too.

Loved Sitou's over protectiveness of Xiaotao and Sitou is also a rank officer hence Xiaotao is wearing a Lady outfit. Xiaotao is no longer a maid and she comes by often to chit chat with Ming Lan.

Such a sweet ending ...

What a journey! 

Every artiste played their character so well, from our beloved ML & GTY, to our second leads QH & WIFE, everyone from Sheng Family (Beloved granny, SH, DaNiang, RL, HL, CB, Molan), Shitou & XiaoTao, Rong'er, Danju, Mdm Zhang, even DaNiang's maidservant, to our protagonists, Mdm Qin, Aunty Kang, Aunty Wang, even MN. 

Relationships and love goes beyond our OTP of ML - GTY.

Granny - ML, GTY- Shitou, ML - XiaoTao & Danju, Rong'er - ML & GTY, CB - GTY, ML - Mdm Zhang, QH - wife were all very heartwarming and lovely to watch. 

I've laughed at GTY's antics, CB's hilarious actions, DaNiang's amusing expressions;

I've cried with ML over the mum's passing, granny's poisoning, and finally in her desperate attempt to save GTY, cried with Rong'er to witness the death of her own mum, and when she finally called ML "mum";

I've smiled at the sweetness and little intimate moments between ML - GTY.

Loved both the explosive GTY, and the more subtle, quiet and subdued ML; full of wisdom granny, straightforward RL, and comical DaNiang & CB.

Cheered when those that ML extended help to came back to show support, friendship, and loyalty from Mdm Zhang, Yanran, the Sheng's couz, Danju. 

Really liked the friendship formed btw ML and QH's wife under the most unlikely circumstances

It has its flaws and shortcomings, but pulled enough heartstrings, and gave enough hope to keep me going. 

It's a relatively "quiet" slice of life family drama, and I've enjoyed the subtleties of things, appreciated the suffering & limitations for women during the era, and loved the various relationships, that goes beyond blood and family.

It's not a perfect show, but definitely worth every minute of the time watching (and re-watching). 

It's been a great 1.5 months watching TSOML; reading & discussing the difference thoughts, perspectives, insights and analysis of the show and characters, sharing of spoilers,  previews and bts, historical facts, and translations. 

Thank you @cherubstomato @linhlinh111 @Golden Flower @nichiwoohee @dancingbee @lclarakl @Suzzy San @frenchfan @dito@minglan1@mooose @minoku2209 @leeza77 @jewelsc @hello210 @matrim @zenya22 @Jackie1048 @sava2sava @heatherbee @greenwatch08 @UnniSarah @lilkat75 @fra8 

12 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

So the ending is officially out. All the good guys get happy endings, About the villains, some are satisfying, some are not.

Stepmom's death, great, but why the hell let her destroy Gu family's shrine? She was dying yet had to cause some more damage? And GTY's 3rd brother's acting is so fake (or maybe it's the voiceover's fault) but it really put me off mood.

ED, well I understand she's the Emperor's official mother so the Emperor just couldn't do anything about her. I've read quite a few novels and the worse outcome is just being detained for life. But why is the Emperor still so sentimental about her? She tried to kill him, his comrades, and started a rebellion against him. Get a grip man, you're too old for mother-complex already.

And Molan. Like, I get it, she is still welcomed back to the house. But how can they be so casual with her? She freed the woman who tried to kill her own Grandmother, and they just let it pass like that? Are all these people Saints or something?

On the other hand, all our beloved characters are doing great. ML and GTY, QH and his wife and the whole Sheng family. TSoML's ending is fulfilled. Thank God Hunan TV didn't pull up any other trick.

Agree with u about molan. Though she got the worst fate for main wife, still her crimes shouldn't be forgiven so easily

7 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

Ep 73: LOL at minglan spitting gty but then kissing him after that.. ml honey... why are you kissing your own spit? :lol:

- gty calling himself ml’s ancestor, first he’s the uncle now the ancestor, good thing yingbao irl choose to call fsf uncle instead of ancestor

-the villains didnt get the just deserts is a letdown, ed caused many deaths and should have been punished more than getting relocated out of the place. Dont they usually send unfavored concubines to the cold palace or something? At least kill her trusted eunuchs, if you cant physically harm her. And why is it the guifei being the sacrifcial lamb? The ed is the mastermind. Molan getting received warmly by the sheng is also a :crazy: I gather the gu couple dont know her contribution of freeing aunt kang? Cant imagine gty sit still having molan around ml and their son.

the stepmom got the luxury of killing herself, she cause damages worthy of getting painful death. At least in the book she suffered watching her son and grandchildren died

- but I do like the end with the scene of how gty said even if the sky fall outside, he would still make sure ml lead a happy peaceful life

It’s such a joy (sometimes stressful) ride watching the drama everyday. I’m gonna miss waiting for the subs while also cheating looking at spoilers.

I would rate the drama 4/5. It may not be 100% faithful to the book or the era, but still enjoyable to watch, particularly to the general public who dont read the book. Even I as a book fan, dont have any grave grievance, as the changes in the drama keep me guessing of what next. 

The cast are amazing. Starting with the sheng family. Grandma totally steal the first part of the drama, all the lovely sisters are lead actresses material already. I cant wait to see the actresses who play hl, rl and molan headlining their own drama. Danniang was wonderfully played by the actress. I didnt notice it until I watch the happy camp vid, but the actor who plays SH is actually quite tall! But he appears short in the drama, he really hunched a lot, great acting! Cb being the comic and upright model at the same time, I wish wang renjun will get a lead role soon

Yingbao and fsf really made ml and gty alive. The honey dripping from fsf’s eyes, that is not only acting LOL

for me yingbao was overshadowed a lot in this drama, first part by grandma, second part is by gty’s explosive character. Only after grandma’s poisoning, did I get excited for her potrayal. I feel like in order for ml to shine.. gty needs to be out of the picture. As a yingbao fan I’m greedy for her to shine more :sweatingbullets:

prop for the drama for making gty’s character more interesting than the one in the book. Great development of character, from being the male lead that most people not like into model husband material

The otp have small moments of intimacy, bickering, testing each others patience, maneuvering others for their own sake, basically growing as a couple, and I really appeciate that

10/10 will rewatch again and again, just like TMOPB :D

thank you for everyone for making the experience of watching the drama lively and fun! 

The actress who played hua lan, already played her main lead in colourful bone

Finally i'm going to say goodbye for this forum.. it's been  entertaining and insightful to read all the comments here

3 hours ago, jacquelinetan said:

Loved Sitou's over protectiveness of Xiaotao and Sitou is also a rank officer hence Xiaotao is wearing a Lady outfit. Xiaotao is no longer a maid and she comes by often to chit chat with Ming Lan.

Eh, didn’t xiaotao keep working for ML? Because GTY told ML to let xiaotao rest, otherwise Shitou keeps on nagging due to his overprotectiveness. 

There are 3 elderly ladies who are my favorites. They enlightened us with knowledge and insight full of kindness and love.

1. Ming Lan's Grandma, Madame Sheng

L7hEHFi.jpg

848dRrw.jpg

NpRuqPP.jpg

2. GTY's Nanny Chang

WtSv8uA.png

Cue3wgm.png

3. Madame Kong, the imperial tutor brought in to instruct the Sheng sisters in feminine graces and imperial court manners

Bza0I89.jpg

7W3j2zV.jpg

In the beginning I was also confused with Molan’s ending and why she is received with such an open arm. But from what I think - nobody figure out that Molan released Aunt Kang. The one who released aunt was LN’s old maid and she is probably go far away after being given money from Molan. So, everyone thinks that it was stepmom trick. And then the problem with her husband, I assume Molan’s family heard about it, so they pity her. I kinda hope Molan at least apologise to ML but giver her character she probably won’t do it. But I feel like in the end she shown great remorse because she starts helping grandma to walk. I think after the husband incident, she probably realise that her mom’s teaching are all wrong. 

Now trying to find another drama to watch ... any recommendation? I’m waiting for Queen Dugu to be sub, currently watching Haolan.

i tried watching NIF because it is recommended so much by ppl in this sub. But I watched 2 episodes but don’t understand a single thing :sweatingbullets:. I ended up watching Luzhen because of Zhao Li Ying (and Chen Xiao is there). 

8 minutes ago, 12blbl said:

So what happen to the Wang family? The man who chained at the end of ep, was he from Wang family?

I thought that was the Wang official, Aunty Kang’s brother who brought up the fake charges against GTY in court.

26 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

In the beginning I was also confused with Molan’s ending and why she is received with such an open arm. But from what I think - nobody figure out that Molan released Aunt Kang. The one who released aunt was LN’s old maid and she is probably go far away after being given money from Molan. So, everyone thinks that it was stepmom trick. And then the problem with her husband, I assume Molan’s family heard about it, so they pity her. I kinda hope Molan at least apologise to ML but giver her character she probably won’t do it. But I feel like in the end she shown great remorse because she starts helping grandma to walk. I think after the husband incident, she probably realise that her mom’s teaching are all wrong. 

Now trying to find another drama to watch ... any recommendation? I’m waiting for Queen Dugu to be sub, currently watching Haolan.

i tried watching NIF because it is recommended so much by ppl in this sub. But I watched 2 episodes but don’t understand a single thing :sweatingbullets:. I ended up watching Luzhen because of Zhao Li Ying (and Chen Xiao is there). 

NIF started off slow just like TsoML so give it a few more epis and it will sucks u in, trust me, u will not regret it :).

6 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

You need to watch at least 8-10 epis to start understanding the background, the plot and where all the main characters are coming from. The first 2 episodes are confusing because after the very first scene of the battlefield, the story quickly jumps to 12 years later,  with the main plot already in progress and many things have happened in between those years. The aftermath of that battlefield in the first scene and the other events that happened in those 12 years will be slowly revealed as the episodes advance. You'll need a lot of patience in the first 4-5 episodes but please don't forward anything....or you'll miss some important things. 

I guarantee you'll love this drama by the end and never regret putting your time into watching this.

7 hours ago, m0us3y said:

What a journey! 

Every artiste played their character so well, from our beloved ML & GTY, to our second leads QH & WIFE, everyone from Sheng Family (Beloved granny, SH, DaNiang, RL, HL, CB, Molan), Shitou & XiaoTao, Rong'er, Danju, Mdm Zhang, even DaNiang's maidservant, to our protagonists, Mdm Qin, Aunty Kang, Aunty Wang, even MN. 

Relationships and love goes beyond our OTP of ML - GTY.

Granny - ML, GTY- Shitou, ML - XiaoTao & Danju, Rong'er - ML & GTY, CB - GTY, ML - Mdm Zhang, QH - wife were all very heartwarming and lovely to watch. 

I've laughed at GTY's antics, CB's hilarious actions, DaNiang's amusing expressions;

I've cried with ML over the mum's passing, granny's poisoning, and finally in her desperate attempt to save GTY, cried with Rong'er to witness the death of her own mum, and when she finally called ML "mum";

I've smiled at the sweetness and little intimate moments between ML - GTY.

Loved both the explosive GTY, and the more subtle, quiet and subdued ML; full of wisdom granny, straightforward RL, and comical DaNiang & CB.

Cheered when those that ML extended help to came back to show support, friendship, and loyalty from Mdm Zhang, Yanran, the Sheng's couz, Danju. 

Really liked the friendship formed btw ML and QH's wife under the most unlikely circumstances

It has its flaws and shortcomings, but pulled enough heartstrings, and gave enough hope to keep me going. 

It's a relatively "quiet" slice of life family drama, and I've enjoyed the subtleties of things, appreciated the suffering & limitations for women during the era, and loved the various relationships, that goes beyond blood and family.

It's not a perfect show, but definitely worth every minute of the time watching (and re-watching). 

It's been a great 1.5 months watching TSOML; reading & discussing the difference thoughts, perspectives, insights and analysis of the show and characters, sharing of spoilers,  previews and bts, historical facts, and translations. 

Thank you @cherubstomato @linhlinh111 @Golden Flower @nichiwoohee @dancingbee @lclarakl @Suzzy San @frenchfan @dito@minglan1@mooose @minoku2209 @leeza77 @jewelsc @hello210 @matrim @zenya22 @Jackie1048 @sava2sava @heatherbee @greenwatch08 @UnniSarah @lilkat75 @fra8 

The finale was bittersweet.  Suddenly my days seemed empty.  I tried watching Queen of Dugu but I got a little bored during the beginning of the 1st episode.  Maybe if I watched it later on, it will be better.  I will give my brain to relax a little.  I have thoroughly enjoyed TSOML.  Like really enjoyed it eventhough sometimes I have to rewatch to understand the conversation.  I loved the way the actors and actresses portrayed their roles.  So vivid, so alive. There were moments where I cried, where I rolled out laughing, moments where I totally hate  BUT It just shows that these people are so good.  Again, I must congratulate the producer and all the people working on this production.

It has been great exchanging with you all as well.  I will miss you all too.  Let's hope there will be other opportunities to exchange point of views etc....:kiss_wink::heart: And happy belated Valentine Day everyone.  Love, kisses and hugs

4 hours ago, hello210 said:

I thought that was the Wang official, Aunty Kang’s brother who brought up the fake charges against GTY in court.

I think it is him too.  

5 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

Youw ill love Luzhen.  ZLY is totally awesome there.

Can someone explain to me who was the random couple who eloped/escaped during the chaos of rebellion?

We saw them with Gu houses 4th or 5th uncle, there was a lot of gold on the table, the woman gave up her jewelry (bought her freedom), got a (her slave?) contract and tore it up and then escaped.

I really didn't understand who the couple was or their significance to the plot. Help, what did I miss?

I loved this drama and my enjoyment was enhanced by the comments from this forum. All the actors were excellent,  I loved Minglan relationship with the old grandma,  it was so natural,  but  the evil stepmother takes the  Oscar. She managed to show evilness while her face was most loving and caring. I have never seen it anywhere, the director who cast her made the perfect choice. Kudos to everyone connected to this drama, its the first chines drama that I anxiously waited to be subbed. 

1 hour ago, annakas said:

Can someone explain to me who was the random couple who eloped/escaped during the chaos of rebellion?

We saw them with Gu houses 4th or 5th uncle, there was a lot of gold on the table, the woman gave up her jewelry (bought her freedom), got a (her slave?) contract and tore it up and then escaped.

I really didn't understand who the couple was or their significance to the plot. Help, what did I miss?

I think it's Fengxian running away, the 3rd aunt helped her run away since they all thought step mom will be successful so she got scot free.. And if the assassin that tried to kill MLan's son is Fengxian them the assassin ran away, but if the assassin is not Fengxian, it might be the assassin that was helped to run away.. So it's either Fengxian or the assassin 

2 hours ago, annakas said:

I don’t know who’s the guy is but the girl is definitely prostitute Wei.  She finally able to freed herself from the brothel.

Archived