[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

57 minutes ago, dito said:

Thanks...I don't remember this. I was skipping a lot around then. Was it after they came back after the revolt or something...

I remember a scene where Lady Liang gave ML a fur coat or something made of fur because she liked ML a lot and Molan, who was trying for Liang sixth son got angry and beat up ML. ML was saved by Da niang and Hai shi...chengbai's wife...who was a badass after that scene.

Google translate doesn’t work well with these types of novels so I couldn’t take it anymore and found a spoiler site but it seemed that there were multiple interpretations of the novel and they didn’t mention that part either, except that after his first wife died the parents made him do another political marriage because of their family situation. I just really looked at the main parts. There were also different interpretations of GTY’s father’s will.

We might get to see that ML and Molan scene cause the trailers had something similar where Molan tried to attack ML.

Spoiler

For instance below is one interpretation from spoiler site with no mention of QH’s mom agreeing to accept ML after the first wife.

Credit: Eers Novel updates forum.

You know forgot to mention the reason Qi Heng's first wife died. She was a super jealous woman too (but didn't know about Minglan) and Qi Heng was kinda pissed with the way she was behaving. He slept separately from her for a while until Qi Heng's mom was sick and he agreed to give his wife another chance. Unbeknownst to everyone the 1st wife was kinda crazy and was doing horrible things to people. One of the princess's (not Emperor's child but Royal blood) was quite blatant with her admiration for Qi Heng and the 1st wife arranged for her carriage to be ambushed, everyone except her killed and have her raped. That princess's father was the 4th prince's faction hence why he raped and killed Qi Heng's first wife and first wife's mother during the rebellion.

Qi Heng was super sad now and was complaining to his mother that she knows his heart but refuses to give him the match he wants. His mother replies that since the 8th prince is becoming Emperor now and they are sort of related to the 6th prince they are under pressure from his father's rivals and his marriage is even more important to secure alliances. He understands but is still sad and cries into his mother's arms.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, hello210 said:

Google translate doesn’t work well with these types of novels so I couldn’t take it anymore and found a spoiler site but it seemed that there were multiple interpretations of the novel and they didn’t mention that part either, except that after his first wife died the parents made him do another political marriage because of their family situation. I just really looked at the main parts. There were also different interpretations of GTY’s father’s will.

We might get to see that ML and Molan scene cause the trailers had something similar where Molan tried to attack ML.

Reading a book on GT is like reading jumbles.....reading a sentence then make sense of it...extra work for your brain. I can literally feel my brain getting tired after a while of reading on GT. But I have no other option. I've tried other translation sites but find GoogleT is easier.

9 minutes ago, dito said:

Reading a book on GT is like reading jumbles.....reading a sentence then make sense of it...extra work for your brain. I can literally feel my brain getting tired after a while of reading on GT. But I have no other option. I've tried other translation sites but find GoogleT is easier.

:P It’s easier for modern novels on Google Translate. I did fine with OGT, but after a few attempts with MInglan I gave up. I needed my brain cells for school work. I didn’t even attempt Legend of Yunxi so still waiting on the novel updates for that one.

34 minutes ago, hello210 said:

I think that’s the problem I have with his character. Yes, it’s a product of how he was raised but it’s too much making really glad that he doesn’t end up with ML. But once again this story really give a stark contrast between the two characters on how each currently handles the disappointments in their lives. It’s just like grandma’s words about living a sheltered life again. Hopefully after this, we see QH’s character growth. It also seems from the trailers that they added some interactions between QH and GTY in regards to pursuing ML that’s not in the novel. 

Granny is a teacher of life....

I want to see those scenes between GTY and QH so much to see how these men see ML. How much they get her and what they think they can give her.

18 hours ago, tomo74 said:

I saw funny thing somewhere from the net, people said second brother (WRJ) looks the same like second uncle (FSF) so it makes them confused why this person's name always changing (they dont realise that they are 2 different person) :joy:

Haha, i too was confused for just a few mins when i was watching epi 5 (at the class session when they suddenly turned into teenagers) i was like 'what's FSF doing there so soon?' and when he finally appeared and stood beside the 2nd brother, i go 'oh wow those 2 can act as brothers', they looked so alike especially from the eyes up!:lol:.

This thread is moving really fast, i haven't been on this for over 36hrs and it's gone like 5 pages already!!

2 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

Gah.... ML made me cry :bawling:, she wants to be with QH, she still have some hope since she keep remembering what QH told her, even grandma is very upset to QH's mum, it's heartbreaking (i'm up to ep 22)

Spoiler

Ikr, she does have some feelings for QH, she even slept with that doll-thing that he gave her

4 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

I am glad that ratings are going up bc honestly this is a good drama. It has been a while since I saw a historical drama that I liked besides xianxias. 

All actors are doing such a good job. I was super impressed by FSF in episode 20. Everyone's acting feels so real and raw. A few things that make the acting more real for me is their actual voice and the natural lighting. I saw a review saying that they didnt like that they used natural candle light to film it but I think it really adds to the realism. That scene between GTY and Manniang in episode 20 was super good. The hurt was palpable. And you could see the wheels turning on her head. 

Yes the cast was very good. And that’s why I sort of felt bad for Manniang even though she brought it to herself the acting was just something you feel compelled to forgive her just for the kids sake, after all in those days man can have many woman. But I’m surprised GTY didn’t forgive her. 

The scenes are so beautiful it really has to be watched at 1080HD. I find myself rewatching it on YT subbed after viki because the one on viki is only 720 which makes the scenes look even darker.... I’m glad they use their real voice too we get a better feel of how the actors want to act their characters...

@nnnju I can’t wait I hope that since the Gu family didn’t take out his name in the genealogy they are not up to something because he is rich and they might try to smooch off his merits! Ugh! 

Spoiler

212-E5504-8992-49-EE-AB82-61-C9-EF7-CCEB

this had me rolling haha sorry not sorry.... Poor dear running for her life even when there were no more bandits hahaha

1 hour ago, tomo74 said:

Gah.... ML made me cry :bawling:, she wants to be with QH, she still have some hope since she keep remembering what QH (said) told her, even grandma is very upset to QH's mum, it's heartbreaking (i'm up to ep 22)

Spoiler

Episode 21 and 22 are so damn hard to watch i feel for QH but then i dont the way he asked his mum was all wrong but the way the mother handled this situation was like stabbing her sons heart which was even worse.. Its his first love and that is how she treats ML and her Son?

Princess was vile in episode 21/22 i really hate her for what she did to her son. 

3 hours ago, dito said:

I watched the previews for tomorrow and ML is finally ready to give up QH. It seems instead of doing it for herself she's going to give up for him. This is noble idiocy....and its actually noble this time...but smh. His family situation seems to be under some threat which will be resolved if he gets married to someone.

They also find out from gossip that QH and his mom have been fighting for months and he stopped eating and going out and has locked himself inside.  

Anyways, I'd have preferred ML taking this decision for her own good rather than doing it for someone else'e good. Someone who is actually behaving exactly like a spoiled little kid who's favorite toy has been taken away....Lol...I'm sorry but when I read what QH was doing I couldn't stop my laugh....he reminded me of my 9 year old nephew.:lol:

I mean when your mother treats you like that and basically stabs your heart this reaction is needed.

1 hour ago, cherubstomato said:

Yes the cast was very good. And that’s why I sort of felt bad for Manniang even though she brought it to herself the acting was just something you feel compelled to forgive her just for the kids sake, after all in those days man can have many woman. But I’m surprised GTY didn’t forgive her. 

The scenes are so beautiful it really has to be watched at 1080HD. I find myself rewatching it on YT subbed after viki because the one on viki is only 720 which makes the scenes look even darker.... I’m glad they use their real voice too we get a better feel of how the actors want to act their characters...

@nnnju I can’t wait I hope that since the Gu family didn’t take out his name in the genealogy they are not up to something because he is rich and they might try to smooch off his merits! Ugh! 

Reveal hidden contents

this had me rolling haha sorry not sorry.... Poor dear running for her life even when there were no more bandits hahaha

Im glad GTY did not forgive the witch just because of the kids , would a man really want a vile snake raising the kids to be viper's.

The one on youtube with sub sometimes has subs missing but they are there on viki so now i just watch viki i hate waiting for the 1080p ones.

6 hours ago, heatherbee said:

After watching ep 19/20 with subs...really feel sorry for GTY; when his father died Im already into it, my tears almost dropping;but with stepmoms words,added by the annoying brod. My tears literarry backed off:tounge_xd: Im just so frustrated with her;my blood is boiling while watching that scence:naughty:...and that useless brother; why isnt he the one to cough blood and died since he keeps on coughing:naughty:...

I had the same reaction! Was just about to shed a tear when the family went full "drama mode" accusing GTY for being the cause, all sadness gone. Replaced with just anger! 

10 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

When you think about GTY had a more pitiful life then ML by quite alot he really never had any love unless we count fake step mum.. everyone else hated him and tarnished him . ML was lucky to have grandma while GTY really had no-one. 

In terms of having a loved one, I'd agree. 

But overall circumstances, ML is more disadvantaged.

- While GTY is the legitimate 2nd son of a Marquis, ML is merely the daughter of an unfavoured (and dead) concubine. By just that, she's already disadvantaged. 

-Also in the era they live, there's a significant difference in their rights just because of their gender. ML is a lot more restricted being a female than GTY will ever be. In a way, GTY can look for a loved one (and he did, although she didn't actually love him), but ML could only wait for the parents to arrange her marriage. Plus she can't really have more than 1 man, unlike men who could have multiple concubines, and then the outside kept women that didn't make it to become concubines. 

3 hours ago, hello210 said:

Hide contents

For instance below is one interpretation from spoiler site with no mention of QH’s mom agreeing to accept ML after the first wife.

Credit: Eers Novel updates forum.

You know forgot to mention the reason Qi Heng's first wife died. She was a super jealous woman too (but didn't know about Minglan) and Qi Heng was kinda pissed with the way she was behaving. He slept separately from her for a while until Qi Heng's mom was sick and he agreed to give his wife another chance. Unbeknownst to everyone the 1st wife was kinda crazy and was doing horrible things to people. One of the princess's (not Emperor's child but Royal blood) was quite blatant with her admiration for Qi Heng and the 1st wife arranged for her carriage to be ambushed, everyone except her killed and have her raped. That princess's father was the 4th prince's faction hence why he raped and killed Qi Heng's first wife and first wife's mother during the rebellion.

Qi Heng was super sad now and was complaining to his mother that she knows his heart but refuses to give him the match he wants. His mother replies that since the 8th prince is becoming Emperor now and they are sort of related to the 6th prince they are under pressure from his father's rivals and his marriage is even more important to secure alliances. He understands but is still sad and cries into his mother's arms.

Spoiler

Unlike the drama, in the book Qi mama did admit that ML is a smart, kind girl and would be a good wife for QH, however that couldn't overcome her lowborn status. Their family was in need of a wife from a powerful family so even though she didn't dislike her, she couldn't make her into QH's wife. She even suggested making her QH's concubine (at the time that was a suitable position for ML's status), which he refused saying she would never accept it. After his first marriage failed (really bad I must say), and also QH was trying really hard in his career to be more powerful and independent, she finally agreed to QH's request but her attempt failed (like I mentioned earlier). This is just a small detail between his 2 marriages. He even got married the 2nd time before ML married GTY (but then they were already betrothed). All of his marriages ended very soon. Maybe he got really bad luck in marriage. He was the one and only true most beautiful man of the capital even to his old age. One of ML's grandsons has set goal to overthrow this title of him (that part is in the extra)

46 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Unlike the drama, in the book Qi mama did admit that ML is a smart, kind girl and would be a good wife for QH, however that couldn't overcome her lowborn status. Their family was in need of a wife from a powerful family so even though she didn't dislike her, she couldn't make her into QH's wife. She even suggested making her QH's concubine (at the time that was a suitable position for ML's status), which he refused saying she would never accept it. After his first marriage failed (really bad I must say), and also QH was trying really hard in his career to be more powerful and independent, she finally agreed to QH's request but her attempt failed (like I mentioned earlier). This is just a small detail between his 2 marriages. He even got married the 2nd time before ML married GTY (but then they were already betrothed). All of his marriages ended very soon. Maybe he got really bad luck in marriage. He was the one and only true most beautiful man of the capital even to his old age. One of ML's grandsons has set goal to overthrow this title of him (that part is in the extra)

Thanks. It’s going to be interesting to see how it’s all going to play out in the drama because QH’s mother in the drama is like a scary dragon mom who needs to control everything around her son so having him so emotionally attached to someone (besides his mother) is probably going to drive her nuts. We’ve already seen how she can be cruel with a straight face.  Doesn’t he have siblings in the book?  Saw somewhere that he was supposed to be the second child in the family but in the drama he’s an only child so he’s her only hope which is probably another reason why she’s so controlling and possessive (being quick to get rid of anyone in the household who even think to get his attention).

18 minutes ago, thatpers0n said:

That feeling when you know they would not end up together yet you still fall for the trap. XD I am too hopless romantic for my own good.

Yeah that was so damn hard to watch i put my hands over my face and paused before that scene.. richard simmons. 

Finished watching episode 21-22. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry! :unsure: QYH mom is a great example of leading a man with full of hopes. LOL I can see that in this episode QYH has touched Minglans heart. But she should’ve known that the proposal was too good to be true even had the granny fooled for a sec. But despite that it opened her eyes that he was really determined and that gave her a bit of hope but now she’ll just leave it to fate.... 

The scene with the bandits got my heart raising Xiaotao was giving me a nervous breakdown. Haha

Cant wait for the next episodes! 

Just now, cherubstomato said:

Finished watching episode 21-22. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry! :unsure: QYH mom is a great example of leading a man with full of hopes. LOL I can see that in this episode QYH has touched Minglans heart. But she should’ve known that the proposal was too good to be true even had the granny fooled for a sec. But despite that it opened her eyes that he was really determined and that gave her a bit of hope but now she’ll just leave it to fate.... 

The scene with the bandits got my heart raising Xiaotao was giving me a nervous breakdown. Haha

Cant wait for the next episodes! 

If anything happens to Xiaotao ill be depressed.. please

I felt for QH during this last episode, he just seems so young and inexperienced fumbling around to give her that present. 

6 hours ago, danatepe said:

yup.FSF acting is really great. i really love his acting .he never fails to impress me in all of his dramas.great actor indeed:wub:.

about the lighting i really wonder why he uses only candles to be the official light in most of the scenes.i thinks sometimes their faces always seems dark:lol:.first time to watch this kind of feeling:sweatingbullets:

I always thought he was good but that scene really impressed me. I just think he probably needs to pick his roles better. Some of his previous roles didnt show his range. 

I think it is a first for me to see this type of lighting but I think it works really well. I read that FSF said those scenes were really hard to film bc they had so many candles that sometimes it was difficult to breathe. 

2 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

Reveal hidden contents

So while I understand her wanting to better herself, she was very insincere in her feelings for him. She could have a good life as a concubine but she kept ruining his chances to marry bc she wanted to be the main wife. And in the end she was willing to sell all his stuff and leave him in his time of need so it was better to cut your ties with someone like that. He was too good to her and that is why she was able to take his son away. The fact that she only took his son kind of shows that she really doesnt care for her kids either. 

Yes, the drama does deserve to be watched in HD. It feels like we are looking into life during those times. 

8 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Yeah that was so damn hard to watch i put my hands over my face and paused before that scene.. richard simmons. 

Oh fellow QHxMinglan shippers?  I do not even know what I saw that made me ship them (probably the good acting of the two people?)  Since on the novel, I juat saw them as brother and sister. 

7 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

I doubt that since a lot are saying how Minglan will make sure to clear the lines. Though I wish she would as the only way the ship will continue if she will be daring enough to ignore all odds just to follow her heart. 

Archived